WHERE ROADS MEET: Part 14

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net

Author's Notes:  The medical situation described below was researched through several websites. I'm purposely shying away from overdoing the technical jargon for two perfectly valid reasons...the first being I am not, nor do I ever expect to be, a member of those wonderful folks known as health professionals (God bless 'em all)... Secondly, there are far too many wonderful writers out there who are members of that group described in reason one...I would prefer to leave those sorts of fics in their capable hands. I prefer the inner workings (psychological/emotional) to the inner workings (physiological)... It's been said one should stick to their strengths...hopefully that's what I'm doing here.

At any rate, medical references are from the mayohealth and merck websites. This same situation (minus the alien presences) happened to a friend of mine... Thank goodness for those aforementioned health professionals...



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Chapter 14: General George Hammond

I've been so wrong about this.

Umpteen years in a position of command and I let myself be bushwhacked by an idealistic academic on a mission.

Must be Colonel O'Neill's influence.

Sure it might be a little risky, General, but the natives are friendly. Just a week or so, in and out for the transcription. And oh, yeah, General.you know Jack won't let me go off alone. Isn't there somewhere you can send SG1 while I'm gone? Sure this is one of Heru'ur's planets.and no I haven't forgotten about the bounty on our heads if we're caught on a Goa'uld world, but Skaara says Heru'ur hasn't been there for hundreds of years. My head ache? Nothing at all, sir.maybe I just need new glasses?

The condensed version sounds even worse than the reality. Dr. Daniel Jackson in full lecture mode can turn a simple grocery list into a major dissertation. Then he turns that earnest, intelligent stare at you and you wind up buying the whole load of goods sight unseen for twice the price you thought you were paying. And damned if I didn't buy into it like a first-year cadet.

I just hope Dr. Jackson isn't the one who ends up paying the ultimate price.

It's not Dr. Fraiser's fault the test results got mislaid.

One of the conditions I put on Dr. Jackson's trip was that he submit to a full physical with all the trimmings before he left. Dr. Fraiser and I were both pretty surprised at how quickly he agreed. We thought everything had come back clean, although his blood pressure was slightly elevated..little wonder considering the stress he's been under lately. Beyond her expected protests, Dr. Fraiser couldn't give me any concrete reason why I shouldn't let him go on this mission and I felt a lot better about it when Skaara rather forcefully invited himself along.pointing out to me that I couldn't order him not to..and assuring me he could handle any and all of "Danyer's" protests. Damned if the kid didn't do it, too. So Skaara went ahead to Abydos to get his things together and Dr. Jackson followed the next day.and somehow, I actually managed to convince myself it would be okay.

I am a two star idiot.

Now Dr. Fraiser tells me the missing test shows some kind of abnormality on Dr. Jackson's brain. Good news would be a brain abscess, which can be treated with mega-doses of antibiotics.bad news a tumor, which I refuse to even consider.and there's no way to find out until we get him back here for more tests. Either way, the longer he goes without treatment, the worse it's going to be.

Dr. Fraiser tells me abscesses can result from previous injuries or infections, she's thinking of the situation with the ribbon-device or the alien devices used on us during the foothold situation.Hell, it could be nothing more exotic than an infection brought on by his allergies. First order of business is to get him back here.ASAP.

Colonel O'Neill's been gone a little over twenty four hours, if he were able to get them back he'd have done it by now.

It's two p.m. in DC, I can have Carter and Teal'c back here by dinnertime. I hit the buzzer and tell Harriman to find Ferretti, then reach for the phone to arrange a jet to bring the rest of SG1 back.

One way or another.we're going to get our boy home.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||