WHERE ROADS MEET: Part 11

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Chapter 11: Skaara of Abydos

O'Neill is worried.

He tries to hide it, but his eyes tell everything.

He is afraid for Daniel, as I am. Daniel is working very hard to convince us he is well, it is not quite a lie. Daniel does not lie.but he is very good at concealing the truth especially as it concerns himself.

The white pills O'Neill made Daniel take seem to be helping, but the crease between overly bright eyes speaks of pain beneath the mask Daniel is showing us now. Daniel will put away his own hurt for the sake of our father, O'Neill seems to recognize this as well.

I fear what Heru'ur intends to do to Kasuf. We have just found one another again, I cannot bear the thought of losing him.not in this way. Abydos, my home, has become as much a target as Daniel, O'Neill and now me. If.when.we succeed in retrieving my father, we must find some way to keep him and my people safe.

None of us is likely to be safe again, not until the last of the demons is destroyed. This hatred I feel for them is strong.I cannot seem to stop it. I know I must try to keep it controlled.it cannot be allowed to control me. It would be as complete a possession as that of the demon. Daniel and I spoke of this a little, the intense feelings we have toward the demons. He admitted feeling a rage at least the equal of my own.it was not something I expected from Daniel. He was always the gentlest of us all.it pains me to see the sharp edge of anger bleeding through his words when he speaks of the demons. One more loss to feed my hatred.

O'Neill looks to both of us, his eyes lingering an extra moment on Daniel's pale face. "We ready, guys?"

Daniel nods, his body moving with purpose as he rises. I move to stand at his side, sensing O'Neill's unspoken desire to give Daniel what support we can without implying he cannot fend for himself. The look of gratitude in O'Neill's eyes tells me I am right. Daniel looks from one to the other of us and I realize he understands.and accepts it. This concerns me all the more.it is frighteningly telling of Daniel's frame of mind. He is admitting, however obliquely, his weakness and I am afraid for him in a way I have not been since the Ha'tak.

O'Neill has noticed it as well and his eyes narrow in concern. This is not the Daniel we know so well. O'Neill seems to gather his own thoughts and strength before motioning us to the rear window. We have been watching that area since sunset.there has been no movement there. O'Neill believes we can run from here to the stream without being observed from the hilltop. If we can make it to the stream, the water is deep enough to float us away from view where we may come ashore and make our way around Heru'ur and his Jaffa. It will be difficult, the water is cold and swift-running, but as O'Neill says.we have no other options.

I can hear Daniel draw a shuddering breath and vow to stay with him, whatever may happen. O'Neill climbs silently out the window and Daniel follows just as quietly. I pass the packs to O'Neill and join them outside. The moonlight glows dully behind sparse clouds, bright enough to help us see our way, but not so bright as to make us visible to those who might be watching. We move low to the ground, keeping our footsteps soft and nearly silent. We reach the stream within minutes and O'Neill slips into the water, guarding our entry with his "zat gun". Daniel draws air sharply as he enters the stream, but quiets himself immediately. I join them in the water and we slowly immerse ourselves up to our necks.keeping the packs as much out of the water as possible, moving slowly downstream with a care born of the need for silence.

We make good progress. I begin to relax when we move beyond the view of the village. O'Neill motions for us to continue a little further. O'Neill keeps looking back at us as if to reassure himself, Daniel seems to be doing quite well though his breathing is somewhat strained. There is little we can do now except keep moving and get out of the icy water as quickly as possible.

O'Neill leads us further, several more minutes, then points to a flat area on the streambank. We make our way to it and climb out. O'Neill scans the area quickly then reaches down to help Daniel rise. Daniel is shaking, whether from the cold or a return of the pain I do not know. I see a dark place among the rocks and point it out to O'Neill. We help Daniel into the small cavern and he slumps to the ground, hands going to his head as he stifles a moan. O'Neill hands me the weapon and sinks to the ground beside Daniel.

"Danny?"

O'Neill's voice once again holds the same note of love and caring I heard when he found us in the village. I had not realized how very much my other friend had changed in our time apart. O'Neill has learned to open his heart, even as Daniel has learned to close his. I cannot help but wonder at the differences in both of them. O'Neill moves his hands to stroke Daniel's forehead with a gentleness I have never seen in him before. I smile in the near darkness, my friends are well-matched.and have found in each other a comfortable balance, a counterpoint they probably did not realize how desperately they needed.

Daniel sighs deeply. "Thanks, Jack. I'm okay."

I can see O'Neill's eyes roll in disbelief, but he only nods. "Let's get into some dry clothes and get some rest. Tomorrow's going to be a long day."

I reach for my pack and pass the clothing to them, moving to the cavern entrance to keep watch while they change. I can hear their soft voices, O'Neill's gently cajoling as he helps Daniel who responds with soft acceptance. I think Daniel would only allow this from O'Neill. There is no barrier of pride between them.they know each other too well for such things. It is very strange to watch them together in this setting. During the Triad, I could see them working together, each in his own unique way, to defend my right to my own body, but this is different. Now they interact as friends of the soul, heart to heart..

My own heart is glad for them.

I smile again in the darkness, suddenly much more optimistic about what tomorrow might bring.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||