REDEMPTION: Part 10

by: PhoenixE
Feedback to: phoenix@prairie.ca



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


It felt so good to breathe again. To feel lungs draw and fill, to feel blood rushing through him. Sensation was rendered all the more sweet in realizing how 'flat' everything about his former condition had been without it.

Jack felt as if he had been the equivalent of a two dimensional man. (And weren't there a few people who would have had a field day with THAT particular observation.). Flat as a blank piece of paper and about as interesting. Full awareness of surroundings and the ability to function and interact within the scenario but without sensory adjuncts to round out the picture. Too weird.

Even though he had just come back from there he didn't feel that he was qualified to offer an opinion as to which was the superior or more desired state of being, but there was one observation he could offer about being dead.

It certainly was..consistent..

Nice place to visit, but he had no desire to live there.

Not quite yet, anyway.

The viewing pool he had left behind had informed him where he would be when he woke up. As if there ever was any doubt of that. Still, as his connection to life became stronger and the sensory impressions supplied to his mind by the body he had been returned to began to make more sense to him, there was no mistaking the fact that his body lay yet in the fortress of Daniel's unflagging embrace. Jack took a deep breath, smiling in spite of himself at the thought of Daniel.

He had opened his eyes to an awful lot of different faces in the course of his less-than-sainted life. At this moment, he could not think of any other face he would rather see than on the other side of this particular awakening than Daniel's.

At last he pushed his eyelids open. It took a bit more of an effort than he was used to; as if the temporarily vacated body had been sitting idle too long and had started too seize up, just a little.

Daniel's face was there, looking down at him as he looked back into eyes that were more than haunted and tightly ringed with fear. There was a glimmer of sincere relief, but it was being swallowed up by something vastly darker.

Daniel's ashen visage wore the unmistakable mark of the desire to believe mingled with the utter annihilation of all hope. Fear rolled out from him in waves.

Jack took a mental step back and shook his head. This was definitely NOT the welcome-home he had been expecting. Not that the kid wasn't glad to see him - that was certainly there, but this OTHER stuff.

Daniel hadn't moved. He wasn't even breathing. He continued to hold Jack, the fingers of the hand that was cupped around his shoulder digging into the flesh so hard that it was actually starting to hurt. A veritable death grip.

Ah, maybe best to stay away from that sort of analogy for a bit.

Daniel continued to stare at him without seeing him, still holding his breath.

Okay, he was getting severely creeped out here.

Jack pushed himself up from the reclining position his body had formerly been assuming; not an easy task given that he had to first make Daniel loosen his grip. He turned quickly to his friend, who had sunk limply into a sitting position on the floor once he no longer needed to support Jack. Even though Daniel was still looking at him Jack grabbed his face between both his hands so that there was no possible way Daniel could look away from him.

"Daniel!" Jack said gently, but firmly. "What's going on? Thought you would be glad to see me."

Daniel's blue eyes flickered, ever so slightly. Somebody was home, but they hadn't turned all the lights back on yet.

"Danny, you're scaring me, now. Talk to me."

This time he blinked, and Jack could feel Daniel's head make a ghost of a nod.

"That's the way," Jack soothed. "Let it out. Breathing would be good, too."

One of Daniel's hands clamped upon one of Jack's wrists, pressing his hand closer to his face. He expelled the portion of air he had been restraining in his lungs for what Jack considered to be an impressive period of time and then he was back. The eyes that met his had lost that vacant look. Daniel looked at him again, and actually saw him.

He quickly averted his eyes and tried to duck his head down in a painfully apologetic motion.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean. It was happening again, I just went - "

"Tell me," Jack said earnestly, tightening his fingers around Daniel's face for emphasis.

"I lose the people I love, Jack."

It would seem that Daniel had his own fair chunk of the dark to deal with. But this was neither the place, nor the time. He had just remembered he had left the water running..

Jack smiled into Daniel's eyes, then put a hand on the back of his neck and used it to draw Daniel's head into his shoulder for a brief, but fervent embrace of reassurance.

"I know, Danny, I know. We'll talk about it, later, if you want. Promise. But we have to go now."

Daniel nodded against him, and then they pulled apart. Both men helped each other to their feet, neither overly surprised that Jack seemed to be not only alive, but completely restored, whole and well.

Just stood to reason after all. It would be - stupid - to bring him back to life and then stick him in a body that was just going to quit on him again. These guys were a lot of things, but stupid they weren't.

They turned to face the two Anpu that were standing on the stairs, on the step that divided the graduated stone ramp exactly in half. Daniel clung to his side, his right hand locked around Jack's left bicep.

Jack figured the kid was probably going to be a little clingy for a bit, but he'd calm down once they got home.

There was a familiar pile of gear on the floor at the foot of the stairs. Their missing vests et cetera.

"Hey look, we get our stuff back," Jack chimed, a little too enthusiastically. Trying to cheer the kid up. "Cool!"

Daniel let go of him long enough for them both to re-don the garments, but as soon as that was accomplished he grabbed hold of him again.

While they were reclaiming their equipment the Anpu descended the small distance from where they had been standing to the floor level, until they reached the two men.

They stood beside them, no longer impeding the path to the Stargate.

"Depart now." Scales addressed them first.

"Live well," Feather continued.

"Honoured are we," they finished together.

Jack looked from dark face to dark face and shook his head.

"That's - IT? After all we've been through - that's all we GET? No explanations, no apologies, not even a T-shirt for crying out loud?"

"There will be another time. If promise is fulfilled. Clearer then."

Jack looked at Daniel and made a rather dramatic facial demonstration of the depths of his impressedness with the clarity of the response.

"Well. thanks. Same to you. Going now. Okay with you?"

The eyes of the twin beings blazed simultaneously and the formerly inert Stargate roared into life.

"Portal is prepared."

Jack had turned and was about to pull Daniel up the stairs when his formerly silent friend suddenly began to move back toward the Anpu.

"Wait.. There's just one thing I don't understand. When I was reading. over there, the instructions, the challenge. it clearly stated that the trials were strictly solitary. Each person who dared to face the justice of Ma'at did so alone and unarmed.."

"One was tested," Scales replied. "Conditions observed correctly."

Daniel blinked in confusion. "I don't understand."

Jack sighed, dug out his signal device, rounded on Daniel, swept him up off his feet and into his arms and commenced up the stairs bearing his reluctant burden who was trying to squirm out of the hold in order to go back down the stairs to ask just one more question..

"Going now. Wave Bye-Bye to the nice doggies, Daniel"

"I wasn't DONE yet, Jack,"

"You're NEVER done, Daniel. I want to get back home before I'm old enough to retire."

Jack continued to mount the stairs.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you. Got a little busy back there for awhile. You've got a GREAT singing voice. I'm TOTALLY impressed. Really."

"Jack."

"Yeah, you ever feel like blowing off the exploring the universe gig you've got a great future in Vegas. No foolin'. I know people. Seriously. I could pull some strings."

"Don't START with me, Jack."

"How do you feel about being called Choirboy?"

Daniel's next comment was lost in the enveloping mystery of the Stargate.

The control room of Stargate Command had been haunted for the past 48 hours. They were spectres deeply familiar to all who served there, for they were the two remaining members of SG-1.

Sam and Teal'c had maintained a constant vigil for their team mates since returning; one or both of them had been there every ensuing moment. Watching, waiting. Hoping that the next moment would be the one when the klaxon would sound announcing that their missing comrades were on their way home.

Some unspoken protocol of respect restrained the duty personnel who worked noticeably AROUND them while they waited. Something compelled every one else who watched and waited for the missing men not to intrude upon the pale-faced, tightly restrained Captain and her Jaffa attendant. There was nothing to be said or done. Nothing at all but the waiting. It seemed somehow wrong to violate the sanctity of their vigil or attempt to interfere with their focus and dedication in any way during their mutual and intensely private ordeal.

Teal'c had been unflaggingly attentive to Sam's every need. He brought her food that she barely touched, endless cups of coffee that mostly sat by her unheeded. He said nothing, but was simply, undeniably there, a virtual bastion of quite reserve and constant, comforting strength.

Sam accepted his service gracefully and without question, recognizing that Teal'c was expressing his worry and concern in the only way he knew how. His whole life, all his training, his entire reason for being had been dedicated solely to service. Unable to do anything else, he did the only thing he could.

Sam was more than willing to let him.

Together they had waited. Together they had been united in their confidence that somehow, Daniel and Jack would be coming through the gate, any time now. However, as the vigil began to enter the third day they looked at each other less and less, neither one wanting the other to see what was beginning to be born in both their eyes.

The growing realization that it was by now more likely that the ones they awaited were not ever coming home than they were.

Teal'c reached her side and extended to her the umpteenth cup of coffee he had brought for her that morning which she mechanically accepted and then turned to put down on the table beside her. The sudden, unexpected blaring of the warning klaxon startled her so badly she dropped the cup, narrowly missing bathing her leg with the hot liquid.

All eyes turned to the Sargeant on station. He was bent over the control console, waiting for the information that hopefully would be what they had been waiting to hear for so long.

"Incoming travelers," he announced excitedly.

General Hammond came running into the control room in response to the siren.

The Sargeant pounded his fists on the console in triumph, then whirled to face the entire room, beaming from ear to ear.

"SG-1 signal, Sir!" He crowed. "It's THEM! They're coming back, General!"

Sam and Teal'c had already bolted from the control room and were flying down to the gate room to welcome home the errant travelers.

They had to push through quite a crowd of people to reach the bottom of the ramp. It seemed that every single person on the base was trying to squeeze into the gateroom. There were a great many people who wished to welcome Colonel Jack O'Neill and Dr. Daniel Jackson home.

The Colonel literally erupted out of the event horizon, bounding into their midst with Daniel in his arms. At first, this sight elicited a stab of alarm from both Sam and Teal'c, as they automatically assumed that Daniel had been hurt. However, the huge grin on the Colonel's face and his ensuing comment soon put that fear to rest.

"Hey Guys!" He boomed. "Look what followed me home! Can I keep him?"

His sparkling eyes alighted on the infinitely relieved and extremely puzzled faces of Sam and Teal'c, and if such a thing was possible, his enormous grin got even wider.

"Kids!" He bellowed, starting down the ramp toward them double-time. "Hope you've been good while I was gone. I brought you back a present."

Daniel's expression was unreadable as Jack dropped him into Teal'c's arms. "Here you go." The Colonel affected a stern expression. He waggled an admonishing finger at the stone-faced man before him. "You have to look after him, though. Don't feed him too much and walk him at least once a day. Sam! You're a sight for sore eyes! C'mere and give us a hug!"

The woman addressed barely had time to emit a whoop of surprise as her Commanding Officer grabbed her around the waist, flung her in the air and then caught her and spun her.

Teal'c looked down at the bemused young man that he still held in his arms. For those who knew what to look for, there was the faintest of gleams in his dark eyes.

"Do you require either, DanielJackson?"

"Whaaaa?"

"Feeding or walking?"

Daniel emitted a series of sounds that when added together successfully conveyed both embarrassment and exasperation.

"Awwrrrgh! Teal'c! Put me DOWN!"

Jack paused in his confusing of Carter long enough to look back and deliver a parting shot. "Isn't he ARTICULATE! One of his best qualities! Hey, Sir, long time no see, howyadoin?"

This to the advancing General Hammond as Jack raced by him and headed for the crowd.

By this time Teal'c had had his fun and had set Daniel back down on his feet. The young linguist barely and time to attempt to gather together the tattered shreds of his dignity when General Hammond bore down on him.

"Dr Jackson!" Hammond addressed him in a tone that was an odd mixture of relief, happiness, and reprimand. "Would you mind explaining to me what the Sam hill is going on here? Where have you been and has Colonel O'Neill completely taken leave of his senses?"

"The term is 'cracked,' Sir!" Jack tossed back at him. By now Jack was working the crowd in the gate room like a slimy southern politician on the last week of the campaign. He was shaking hands, thumping backs, busting ribs with bear hugs. If there had been any babies in the room he would not have been above kissing them. "Hi, howyadoin' I'm Jack, pleased to meet ya."

In spite of himself, Daniel was starting to smile at Jack's antics. Something heavy seemed to lift from his heart, and it appeared to Sam, who was watching him in that moment, that he was suddenly a little better than he had been when he had first arrived.

Now, where had THAT come from..

But now, the General was waiting for an answer.

Daniel expelled an enormous sigh, pulled a hand through the wings of his hair and shrugged a little sheepishly.

"Ahhyeaaahweelllll. "It's. It's REALLY a long story, General. I'm not sure where to begin."

"He's not under some sort of.alien influence. is he?' The General advanced, quite seriously.

A barely controlled bleat of laughter burst from Daniel. "Ahhh, no, General, he isn't. It might look that way, but he's quite himself. Maybe more so than he has been in a long time."

"I think the two of you had best get yourself straight down to medical and get yourself checked out. If you get the all clear I expect to be fully briefed immediately following your release by Dr Frasier."

Jack was back from his tour of the room. He pushed past Hammond to rejoin Daniel, throwing a companionable arm around his shoulders and beginning to pull him along with him back down the ramp.

He waved a dismissing hand at the general as he walked Daniel past him. "All in good time, General. All in good time. We'll go and see the good doctor in a minute. I have some business with my friend, first."

He halted in his tracks, turned to Daniel and announced. "Come, Tonto, our job here is done."

"Whatever you say, Kemasabe."

Daniel grinned at the man beside him as the crowd parted before them, allowing them a clear passage from the room together. Daniel threw his arm over Jack's shoulders in a gesture that mirrored the Colonel's. As they left the room, Jack leaned toward Daniel and said very lowly, "Daniel, tell me about Sha'uri."

If anybody had had a pin to drop it would have made a sound like thunder in the absolute quiet of the gateroom. There was a further beat of interminable silence and then Teal'c crossed his arms gravely and intoned,

"Who was that Masked Man?"

More silence as he became the focus of a multitude of astonished eyes.

His imperious gaze panned the room.

"Is this not the correct ritual response?"

Sam felt herself starting to go. "It is," she returned, barely able to suppress the laughter. "But how did you KNOW that?"

"The Lone Ranger," Teal'c supplied in deadly earnest. A valiant and honorable warrior. I have seen the images. On something called a VCR. Colonel O'Neill showed them to me. He called them 'tapes.'

Anything else the Jaffa might have had to say to enlighten them further was quite lost in the laughter.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||