MISHAP: Part 35

by:  PHO
Feedback to:  phowmo@mindspring.com



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Teal'c's cry of alarm disappeared in the cacophony of sight and sound now encompassing much of the arena. His sudden stop and widened eyes, however, had not gone unnoticed by the concerned archaeologist. Instincts he didn't know he had took over as the young man whirled, and successfully dodged an attack from a nearby Euloean. The short blade missed his back by inches as he twisted out of its path. Daniel's quick turn saved his life, but cost him his balance and he hit the floor, face first, with a bone-wrenching thud which knocked the wind out of him. He lay prone, desperately trying to pull air into uncooperative lungs.

The guards had left the stage in an effort to control the riot, and the few council members who had not fled to safety were watching the melee on the arena floor. Rather than flee after his failed assault on Daniel, his attacker took advantage of the young man's defenseless condition and moved in, intent on finishing what he'd begun.


The few guards in the holding area had likewise abandoned their posts, joining the stadium officials in riot control. Ferretti saw Daniel's danger at the same moment as Teal'c, but was prevented by the distance to the stage from even attempting a warning cry. Instead he turned to Lieutenant Hancock. "Get that corridor door open."

Airman Spenser grinned, "We're escaping, sir?"

"Negative, Spenser, we're heading into the breach."

"Sir?"

"You, Hancock, and Anderson are gonna do what we can to help with crowd control, hopefully this mess will end before anyone gets hurt."

Anderson just gaped at him. "But...But they were holding us prisoners. They were gonna kill Major Carter and Mister Teal'c. Shit, sir, someone's trying to kill Dr. Jackson right now!" The young man's eyes widened as he finally saw what his CO had already seen.

"Hancock!"

"Got it, sir." The lieutenant quickly kicked the stubborn door wide open, and glanced into the corridor. "No one in sight. Anderson, Spenser, you're with me!" Without waiting another second the lieutenant disappeared into corridor, closely followed by Spenser.

Anderson hung back a moment, confused by the seemingly stupid behavior of his commanding officer. Ferretti's barely controlled snarl of "Move it, Anderson!" brought him to his senses, allowing military discipline to override his few remaining doubts, and he hurried to catch up with his team. The major allowed himself a quick glance through the bars at the rather one-sided fight on the stage. Knowing he would not be in time to save his friend, he could only pray that the colonel was close by.


Sam heard Teal'c's warning cry, and redoubled her efforts to get to the stage, this time with a new purpose, helping Daniel. To her horror, she found the stairs circled back behind the stage rather than leading directly to it. Grumbling "what kind of idiot builds steps like these" under her breath, she elbowed aside a guard heading for the arena, and began taking two steps at a time. This whole damned mission had been one blunder after another. Nothing, absolutely nothing had gone right, but at least Daniel didn't appear to have been badly hurt. Unless, of course, he was hurt now. 'Okay, Colonel, now would be a really good time for you to make an appearance.'


Teal'c did not bother with the steps. He raced straight for the platform, searching for a hand-hold as he ran. To his absolute disgust, there was none. Cursing silently, he turned in mid-stride for the stairway, noting quickly that Louis Ferretti was closing on his position. Teal'c pointed toward the platform, receiving a quick nod of understanding from the major. Ferretti picked up his pace and raced to join Teal'c at the bottom of the platform. Cupping his hands together, the Jaffa nodded approval as the man never broke his forward movement. The major's foot hit Teal'c's hands hard, but the Jaffa never noticed as he hurled Ferretti into the air with a strength the younger man envied. Teal'c again nodded with relief as Ferretti caught a hand-hold and pulled himself onto the stage, just as a loud horn resounded throughout the stadium.


Vraxas kept one eye on the surging crowds, and another on his assassin. The imbecile had managed to miss this Lord Daniel person ... how, Vraxas was not quite sure, but that was irrelevant. The fool had been expendable from the start. The angry councilman focused all his attention on the assassin as the man dove in to finish the job. Vraxas smiled as he caught sight of the leader of the other team of strangers running across the arena floor, knowing that the man would not be in time to save Daniel. A strangled gasp reached his ears, and he turned to allow himself a moment to gloat over the corpse, before personally taking the life of the assassin. His eyes widened with surprise, and no small amount of horror, as the body of his hired killer sagged to the stage floor, Daniel's knife buried deeply in his chest. The sound of Vraxas' infuriated scream was completely concealed by the sounding of a loud horn.


Marne blew again into the horn's mouthpiece, this time producing a range of sounds even louder than before. Satisfied that many among the would-be rioters were now watching him, he motioned for someone to join him on the watch tower, just above the stage. Gasps of astonishment joined with cries of delight as Lord Tiamon moved to stand beside his friend. The taller man waved to the crowd, and started to speak, only to have his words drowned out by the delighted cries of "Tiamon! Tiamon! Tiamon!"


Krago slowed his own pace, allowing many in the crowd to go around him. He had no desire to be caught in the middle of a riot, and from the looks of things this was rapidly becoming one. Well, Vraxas had paid him handsomely to start a diversion, and Krago was certain the councilman had gotten his money's worth. He grinned as he watched the futile efforts of the strangers to reach this Daniel person in time to stop the assassin. His grin faded as a horn sounded, drawing his attention upwards to the tower. Marne? Surely the man would be with Lord Tia.... The horn sounded again, interrupting his concentration. His eyes widened with astonishment as Tiamon joined Marne on the tower. Thinking quickly, Krago started a cry of "Tiamon! Tiamon! Tiamon!" His lone voice was soon joined by those around him.


Daniel sat gasping on the stage, too stunned to even give in to the horror of his assailant's death. He'd gone for his own knife, just like he'd been taught, intending to use it to fend off the other man. But, he'd rolled into the assassin's legs sending the man tumbling straight onto his blade. He winced as the sound of a horn came from directly above him. Loud, very loud. Daniel's confused mind couldn't come to terms with the events around him as the crowd began to grow silent. A second horn quickly followed the first and suddenly he found himself surrounded by his friends. Sam immediately fell to her knees beside him, pulling him into an enthusiastic hug. Releasing him, she glanced upwards as cries of "Tiamon! Tiamon! Tiamon!" reached her ears. Grinning broadly she waved to the young Lord.

Teal'c allowed himself a moment to nod to Lord Tiamon, then returned his attention to Daniel. Extending his hand, he pulled Daniel to his feet. The Jaffa spoke in his most pleased tone. "It is good to see you well, Daniel Jackson."

Ferretti clapped him on the shoulder. "Reports of your injuries appear to have been exaggerated."

"H..huh? Wh..hat?" The young man stammered in confusion.

Sam smiled. "The radio message from the colonel saying you'd been hurt. It sounded pretty serious. Should've know..." Her voice trailed away at the look on Daniel's face.

"Not me. Jack. He fell. He's got a broken leg, and I think a broken clavicle. I had to leave him alone in the cellar, and the beasts, dear god, the beasts may have gotten him by now."

Sam stared in astonishment at Daniel. "The colonel's hurt?"

"O'Neill has been injured?" Teal'c's eyebrows rose to the peak of his forehead.

Ferretti gasped. "Jack's the one who got hurt? Unbelievable."

Daniel looked hurt. "Hey, I'm not always the one who..." His voice faded away as all eyes turned in his direction. "...What?"


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||