MISHAP: Part 34

by:  PHO
Feedback to:  phowmo@mindspring.com



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


It happened so quickly Jack almost missed it. Almost. He hadn't realized his eyes had closed ... not that it really mattered in the dark ... until the door crashed open. The moonlight in the cellar outlined an ominous form in the doorway as the colonel's eyes popped open. Jack remained absolutely motionless as the creature studied the stairs. With a low growl, the beast pushed aside the splinters of the door, and eased its bulk onto the first step. The injured man's hand tightened around his weapon, easing it into a firing position, and praying the thing on the stairs wouldn't notice his movement. A sudden angry snarl erupted from the creature's lips as it lunged towards its intended victim.

The first shot succeeded only in slowing it down. It took another to stop it completely. The snarl changed into a strangled squeak as it fell backwards down the steps, completing the destruction of the door as it died. A whimper of relief was overshadowed by the knowledge that there were more creatures to come. And at two shots per beast, he doubted he would survive the night. "Oh God, Daniel. Someone. Please, I don't want to die alone."


Councilman Vraxas had been loudly squelched in his attempt to continue the presentation of evidence, and the council had moved to their chambers to discuss what manner of action to take. Daniel remained glued to the stage area as he waited for the high council to come to a decision. He really wanted to pace, but there were entirely too many eyes on him at the moment.

The soft murmurings of the crowd in the stadium gave him no real indication of their sentiments, but he knew instinctively that should they be against him, things could go terribly wrong very quickly. He didn't dare look at Sam and Teal'c as they waited patiently on the arena floor. Not for the first time did he find himself admiring their stoic calm and endless patience.


Daniel had been brilliant, positively brilliant. Sam could think of no other word to describe his presentation in their defense. She positively gloated over Vraxas' discomfiture as he reluctantly accompanied the council to their chambers. The man had been positively green.

She felt rather than saw Teal'c's steady form standing motionless beside her. Though every fiber of her being want to jump for joy, shouting praises of Daniel's defense strategy, she stood frozen, not daring to move. Rooted to the ground. Not so much from fear... more from a desire to avoid undue attention. She wanted nothing to distract the council ... wherever they were ... from their decision.

Sam allowed herself a glance upwards at Daniel, who stood calmly on center stage. Terrific. Teal, calm and stoic beside her. Daniel, calm and stoic above her. Did nothing phase those two? She was a bundle of nervous energy. How could they be so infernally calm?


Teal'c watched Sam as she stood quietly in the sand. She possessed a calm which he did not share. He had long admired her intelligence and courage, but this stoic side was one with which he was not familiar. Samantha Carter was a warrior, tall and proud, representing the best that the Tau'ri had to offer.

A slight tilt of her head drew his attention to follow her line of sight ... straight to Daniel. The Jaffa studied the equally calm archaeologist, marveling silently at the strength of his arguments. The young man possessed a wisdom far beyond his years. That he was not a warrior did not matter to the Jaffa. Daniel Jackson was a scholar, a teacher. But more than that, the young civilian was a man whose courage and loyalty could not be questioned.

A roiling in his abdomen drew his attention to the infant Goa'uld. He struggled to calm his runaway emotions, knowing that the young Goa'uld would not settle down until his own feelings were under control. He would follow the example set by Daniel and Sam ... surely if the young Tau'ri could remain so stoically calm, the former First Prime of Apophis should be able to follow suit.


A sudden stirring of the crowd alerted Daniel that the council was returning. He felt himself tensing in anticipation, and gave himself a slight shake to steady his nerves. He attempted to control his elation as he saw the sour expression on Vraxas' face. Lord Altri nodded a greeting, then motioned for the crowd to grow still. As the councilman walked almost casually toward the podium, Daniel felt as if he would explode. His excitement ebbed as his attention was drawn to Vraxas. The dour expression was gone, replaced by an almost eager anticipation. Daniel frowned slightly as he realized the older man was searching the crowds for something. The young man started violently as Lord Altri spoke his name. He focused his attention solely on the speaker, and while ignoring Vraxas was easy, ignoring the sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach was not.

Altri smiled broadly as he motioned Daniel to join him on the podium. "And we have our friend Daniel to thank for preventing a serious miscarriage of justice. Lord Daniel, the council is pleased to announce that we find all of your friends innocent of all charges. They are free."


Krago watched closely as Vraxas gave the signal. Immediately the young Euloean shouted. "But what of Lord Tiamon? He is dying!" He restrained his glee as his pre-positioned allies gave similar shouts. Moments later the citizens nearest the rabble-rousers also took up the cry. Krago watched for a moment then rushed the nearest gate screaming. "Death to the strangers!" His cohorts did likewise, gathering support from the crowd as they attempted to tear down the gates.

From his position on the podium, Lord Altri was momentarily stunned into silence. Finding his voice, he shouted for the guards to control what was fast becoming a riot.

Daniel stared in horror at the chaos surrounding him. The crowds in the stadium were trying to beat down the gates, and there were not nearly enough guards to protect Sam and Teal'c from the angry mob. Leaning forward he shouted urgently. "Sam! Teal'c! Get up here! Quick!"

The two SG-1 members wasted no time in rushing for the narrow stairs leading to the stage. Sam hit the steps, taking two at a time, not realizing that Teal'c was no longer behind her. Instead the Jaffa had suddenly become motionless in the sand, shouting urgently. "Daniel Jackson, behind you!"


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||