MISHAP: Part 33

by:  PHO
Feedback to:  phowmo@mindspring.com



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Daniel tore his eyes away from his friends, as well as the crowd of suspicious onlookers, to face the High Council. "My Lords, and Ladies. I am Daniel of the Tau'ri. I have traveled from a distant land in search of friendship, and knowledge as well." He paused, allowing his first spoken words to quiet the remnants of conversation throughout the arena. Once satisfied that all eyes and ears were on him, he continued. "My people devote much time and energy to gathering knowledge and learning of other peoples. They also wish to share the knowledge they have learned, and have a desire to speak with the leaders of each new people to discuss the possibility of peaceful, and profitable, trade relations."

He paused to take a breath and study the impact of his words on the High Council. He smiled inwardly as Lord Vraxas' eyes widened at the mention of profits. "But I digress. It is my understanding that the male and female on the arena floor are on trial, but I have no knowledge of their crime. Perhaps Lord Vraxas could enlighten me."

Councilman Vraxas smugly approached the podium, nodded almost politely to Daniel, and spoke to the crowds. "They are accused of having, and using, Goa'uld devices." The man paused as a disgusted murmuring ran through the crowd. He allowed the tension to build for a moment before continuing. "Then, of course, they failed the interview. And lastly, but most importantly, they have inflicted an almost certainly fatal illness on Lord Tiamon." Angry jeers from the crowd told Daniel exactly how popular Lord Tiamon was. Vraxas nodded to the crowd. "And of course, that alone would have been sufficient to bring them to trial, where by the old laws, they must face their accusers." There was no warmth in the smile the councilman turned on Daniel as he returned to his place with the Council; the young scientist knew he was treading on extremely thin ice.

Daniel turned to the council. "May I see the Goa'uld devices?"

At the nod of a councilwoman, a guard approached Daniel and handed him one of the SG-1 radios. Daniel turned it over in his hand, and pointed to the symbols on the side. "Tell me, my Lords and Ladies, are these Goa'uld writing?"

The councilwoman who'd turned over the radio responded. "We cannot say, my Lord Daniel, for we have never seen Goa'uld writing."

"Ah, but the Goa'uld used boxes such as these for communicating?"

A second council member responded quickly. "No, their devices were round or at least that is what the old stories say."

"So... you do not recognize either the writing or the shape of the device as belonging to the Goa'uld? Why then do you assume the device to be of Goa'uld construction?"

Vraxas angrily retorted. "If not Goa'uld, then whose?"

Daniel looked grave. "That is not for me to say. I would rather the council make that determination." He looked pointedly at the men and women of the council. After a shorter debate than he'd thought possible, one of the councilman announced somberly. "We have determined that the supposition that the device is of Goa'uld construction was incorrect. It was based on a false assumption and must be invalidated."

Daniel tilted his head, and nodded his approval of the action, but before he could respond, Vraxas angrily spoke. "Irrelevant, they failed the interview this morning. The trial continues."

"But my Lord Vraxas," Daniel spoke softly, "If I am understanding the process correctly, the suppositions behind this morning's interview were invalid, therefore the entire interview process was ... invalid."

Vraxas sputtered an obscenity under his breath as the majority of the council nodded their agreement with Daniel's words. He glared for a moment at Daniel, then smiled slightly. "Explain Tiamon's illness then, Daniel. They are responsible for this illness."

Daniel gulped, took a deep breath to steady his nerves, then responded. "Lord Tiamon's illness came on him suddenly, I assume, while he was in the company of the prisoners?"

"No, it came on later, in my home. The man collapsed to the floor in great pain."

"Soooo, the prisoners were nowhere in the vicinity when he collapsed?"

"NO! They had poisoned him earlier in the day!"

"I would have thought them to be bound and confined during their journey here. Are you telling me that Lord Tiamon allowed them to have access to his food and water?"

"Of course not, procedure required them to be bound immediately upon arrest."

"Ah, so you are saying that their presence alone was enough to make Lord Tiamon ill?"

"That is possible." Vraxas' voice held a hard, almost frightened edge.

"Then why has no one else become ill? Could it be that Lord Tiamon's illness had nothing whatsoever to do with the prisoners?"

"NO! It was them and their Goa'uld devices."

"I thought we'd already established that the devices were not Goa'uld."

"I.."

"Enough, Lord Vraxas." Lord Altri interrupted. "The young stranger is correct. The first two points of law have been discarded, and I for one, am having trouble believing the third without the others. The ancient laws of justice demand that all three points of law be established before a conviction can be made. Lord Daniel, do you perhaps know where this strange device comes from?"

"Yes, my lord. It originates from the Tau'ri. The symbols belong to the Tau'ri, and the device, called a radio, is of Tau'ri construction. The technology behind it is one of the items the Tau'ri use in trade negotiations."

"Indeed. Such a device, if it can be made to perform again, would be most beneficial to our people."

"I am certain that the Tau'ri can make it function again." Daniel replied with more confidence than he felt. "However, I find your 'points of law' to be most fascinating. The Tau'ri also have a long tradition of justice, believing that all parties have the right to speak, and be heard."

"That is one of our most fundamental principles, Lord Daniel." Lord Altri was obviously impressed.

Daniel nodded. "But the Tau'ri and the Euloeans share more than a love of justice; they share a common enemy ... the Goa'uld."

"What do you mean, Lord Daniel?" Lord Altri asked before Vraxas could respond.

"The Tau'ri have been in conflict with the Goa'uld for many years. Like the Euloeans, they have suffered much at the hands of those evil beings. An alliance against them would benefit both our peoples. I beg you to find my friends," he nodded toward the arena floor, "innocent, and to release all of my friends so that we may embark on a new and beneficial alliance between our peoples."


Krago watched from the back of the stadium as Daniel finished speaking. At Vraxas' direction, he'd strategically positioned men throughout the stadium seats. He smiled as he watched the mob cheer 'Lord Daniel's' words. Well, let the young Tau'ri have his moment of glory. It wouldn't last long. Krago well understood the laws of the crowds. It would take very, very little to instigate a riot. A riot in which all of the prisoners would die. And of course, so would Lord Daniel. Krago had seen the look Vraxas had bestowed upon the young man. The agent had no doubt that when the riots began, Lord Daniel would be the first to die.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||