MISHAP: Part 32

by:  PHO
Feedback to:  phowmo@mindspring.com



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Jack's eyes suddenly shot open as a loud scream echoed in the cellar. 'What?...' Blinking in confusion, he glanced around him in the darkness. 'Shit. Went to sleep. Unbelievable. Cannot do that again.' With the door shut, there was only the vaguest beam of moonlight shadowing the gap under the door. Just enough to tell when one of the beasts came close to the door but not enough to provide any kind of visual aid in the stairwell. He couldn't even see his own hand in front of his face. But dark was good. Dark would allow him to see the creatures in the doorway before they saw him. Unless their night vision was unusually good. 'Of course it's good, O'Neill, the damn things hunt at night.' As he tightened his grip on his weapon, he sent a silent pray winging its way heavenward that the creatures wouldn't be able to get the door open.


Teal'c led the way onto the arena floor, unobtrusively positioning his body between the guards and Sam.

The young major moved quickly to his side and whispered. "Thanks, Teal'c, but I can take care of myself."

The Jaffa studied her face for a moment before nodding his concurrence with her statement. Whatever might happen, he knew she would handle it honorably and with great courage.

The pair once again found themselves facing the council and Vraxas. The man smiled unpleasantly, then announced. "It appears that you have some champions, Goa'uld scum."

Neither Sam nor Teal'c bothered to reply. Vraxas frowned at their reticence. Clearing his throat, he continued. "Will Dan'ya step forward to give testimony?"

"That's Daniel, my Lord."

It was all Sam could do not to cry out with delight as Daniel Jackson stepped onto the podium near the council. Even Teal'c looked decidedly pleased as he saw Daniel appear above them. Sam's thoughts whirled as Daniel moved into position. 'Thank God the colonel was mistaken. Daniel looks okay. Wonder where the colonel is? Get a grip, Sam. He's obviously in hiding with one of his backup plans in case Daniel can't outtalk melon-face up there.' Shaking her head she allowed herself a covert nod of encouragement at the young archaeologist, then settled back to watch the show.


Daniel paced impatiently in the tunnel, hoping that the guard had actually gotten him added to the list of speakers, and hoping that he would somehow find the correct words to free his friends. Suddenly the echoes of many conversations died away, and Daniel realized that the prisoners must be in the arena. A deeply arrogant voice began to speak, and it took Daniel a short moment to realize that this must be one of the councilmen. But which one? From the arrogant tone, Daniel concluded it must be that Vraxas person Elden and Laro kept speaking of. He forced himself to pay closer attention as the words 'Goa'uld scum' came easily to the other man's lips, followed by "Will Dan'ya step forward to give testimony?"

The guard motioned him toward the stairs, causing the young man to suddenly understand that the guard outside had recorded the name wrong anyway. "That's Daniel, my Lord." He announced modestly as he moved from the tunnel where nothing was visible to the podium where a massive crowd watched his every move. And there, on the arena floor below, stood Sam and Teal'c, unbound and apparently no worse for wear, but obviously delighted to see him. 'So word of our deaths has reached here. Terrific.' Their footprints could be clearly seen in the dirt floor, and, as he gathered his thoughts, he briefly allowed his vision to follow them back toward the holding cell. To his relief, the other SG team was standing in the cell, hands gripped on the bars, with Ferretti looking unusually happy to see him. The SG-2 major gave him an encouraging thumbs-up, almost causing Daniel to lose his composure. Daniel tore his eyes away from his friends, as well as the crowd of suspicious onlookers, to face the High Council. "My Lords, and Ladies. I am Daniel of the Tau'ri. I have traveled from a distant land in search of friendship, and knowledge as well."


The screams coming from the cellar sent resounding waves of fear through the normally unflappable colonel. Shock, pain, exhaustion, and concern for his team combined for a last ditch effort to pull him into despair. The darkness closed around him, resulting in an overpowering feeling of suffocation, and for another horrifying moment the screams transported him back to a 4 by 4 cell in an unnamed Iraqi hellhole. Shaking his head he forced his way back to his present hellhole, ignoring the moisture on his face as he did so. He knew his only hope for survival was to remain alert, but that was becoming increasingly difficult. Three faces, two fair, one dark, circled in his mind, accusing him of negligence, and terminal stupidity. Sam, in an uncharacteristic display of temper, berated him for not first completing the mission as stated before exploring the lay of the land. And he could hear the anger in Teal'c's voice as the Jaffa denounced the separation of the team in unknown territory as fool-hardy. And Daniel, Daniel's emotionally volatile face spoke volumes about dying alone, rendered limb from limb by the creatures of the night.

Jack sucked in a ragged breath as a the door below him rattled, then released it with a almost soundless huff as the beast moved away. So far, so good. Apparently they didn't know about doors.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||