MISHAP: Part 30

by:  PHO
Feedback to:  phowmo@mindspring.com



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Elden and Laro studied the open area between their not-quite-concealed position and the gates. Both men knew the speed and stealth of the Redcaps. They also knew that there was no guarantee the guards on the gate would admit them. Elden whispered to Laro. "Who is on guard this night?"

"I don't know, but the rotation did not have one of Lord Tiamon's men scheduled for another seven days."

"What of Constor? Or Rania?"

"Possible, but even some of their guards are not to be trusted."

Daniel, for all his pretended disinterest, suddenly interjected. "If I am not with you, will the gates be opened?"

"Yes." Elden replied simply.

"Well, then--"

Dual voices cut him off. "No, Daniel."

Laro continued alone. "You have saved our lives. To leave you out here would mean certain death."

"But--"

"No, Daniel." Elden smiled. "We all go, or we all stay."

Daniel shook his head and sighed. "Very well, but why do I get the feeling I just became the third Musketeer?"

"What?"

"Uh, nothing."


Ferretti watched with no small amount of relief as Sam and Teal'c exited the house apparently unharmed. The little man accompanying them had eyes only for Vraxas. The Councilman, on the other hand, barely even noticed his existence as he motioned the guards forward to take charge of the prisoners.

Marne's eyes narrowed as the guards began to bind the prisoners' hands behind their backs. "There is no need for that."

"I think there is." Vraxas nodded toward Ferretti, who was also bound. "He has been less than cooperative."

Ferretti's eyes widened. "What? Uh, damned straight I'm not cooperative." Silently, he wondered just what the hell the man was up to.

Sam practically snarled. "Just what have you done, Vraxas?"

The councilman looked affronted. "The prisoners may not speak."

"Get a grip, Vraxas, whatcha gonna do ... kill us twice?"

Marne laid a restraining hand on Sam's arm. "Please, Major Carter. I will deal with this." Turning he faced the older man. "Lord Vraxas. I well understand the protocols of our culture. As Lord Tiamon's second, it is my duty and my right to determine how best to control the prisoners. And I say there is no need for bonds." He smiled benignly. "Look around you, Vraxas, there are armed guards everywhere. What exactly do you expect the prisoners to do?"

"They are Goa'uld. We can expec--"

"That has yet to be proven."

Vraxas grinned wickedly. "Tiamon was unable to give evidence, therefore, they are guilty by default."

"That's Lord Tiamon, Lord Vraxas, and he may yet be able to give evidence proving their innocence. He has until the third call to present his testimony. Or is this another old way that has gone by the wayside?"

The older man clinched his fists, then slowly released them, aware that a direct move against Marne would be a mistake. Deciding it would be to his advantage to change the subject, Vraxas smiled. "Was that one of Lord Tiamon's Martiques we saw arriving earlier? I am certain you will share the message with us." Vraxas' arms opened wide to encompass the watching crowd.

Sam winced inwardly, and struggled to keep her features neutral as Marne replied. "Indeed, Lord Vraxas. My men at the temple report strangers dead in the south."

"More vile Goa'uld!" Vraxas practically spit his retort.

"Strangers I said, Lord Vraxas, and strangers I mean. Now I must remain with my Lord Tiamon. Lord Altri?"

"Yes, young Marne?"

"I would be honored if you would represent Lord Tiamon until such time as he can represent himself."

"It would be my honor, young Marne." Altri eyed Vraxas suspiciously. "And the prisoners will be treated with honor and dignity, as the old ways demand."


To the Euloeans' astonishment, the three men reached the safety of the gates without encountering a single Redcap. Nevertheless, they did not slacken their pace as they raced across the open ground. The shelter provided by the gate overhang was of little comfort since it still left them vulnerable to the beasts who might yet appear. The watch window slid open to reveal a pair of concerned, yet suspicious eyes. "Elden? Laro? You were not expected to return for several days yet."

"Yes, Quin, we encountered a friend who has urgent business with the High Council."

The doors remained closed. "You mean with Lord Vraxas."

Elden spoke up angrily. "Unless the council has been dissolved and replaced with only Lord Vraxas, then no. His business is with the High Council. Open ... the ... gates."

Dark eyes studied the three outside for a moment longer, then the sounds of locks being undone could be heard. And not a moment too soon as a hunting Redcap screamed outrage from the rocks where the three had formerly taken cover. A single gate opened slightly, allowing the three men to slip inside, their breathing only slightly easier behind the protection of the walls.

Quin and the second guard eyed Daniel suspiciously. "He is dressed as the Goa'uld prisoners."

Elden responded quickly. "Then the trial is over?"

"No, Elden. You at least should know that it has only just begun."

"Then why are you referring to the prisoners as Goa'uld? They have not yet been found guilty."

"I beg pardon, Elden. You are correct, but are you certain this one..." He nodded toward Daniel. "...does not belong in the holding area with those not on trial?"

Daniel was stunned. "What? Who's not on trial?"

Quin looked mildly affronted by the interruption, but responded anyway. "The four who came later are not to be tried yet. They arrived too late to be part of this morning's interview process. Their interview will be tomorrow. The male and female are to be tried this night. As I was saying--"

"No, Quin, Elden and I will vouch for Daniel. He saved us from one of the Redcaps. He is no Goa'uld, but he is a friend to the prisoners. The others are being held in the Center complex?"

"All but one. I am told that Lord Vraxas commanded the leader of the second group to attend the trial." Quin eyed Daniel with growing respect. "This one saved you from a Redcap?"

"Yes. He did. We must speak to the High Council."

"But...But the Redcaps are a Goa'uld beast."

"Yes. They are."

"But...But that means he cannot be a Goa'uld." Quin was shocked by the revelation.

"No. He cannot be a Goa'uld."

"But..But the others wear the same clothing."

Elden sighed, patience rapidly running out. "Yes. They do. Do you now see why we must speak to the High Council?"

"Of course, Elden. The strangers cannot be Goa'uld. Lord Vraxas is mistaken. You may go, but you must hurry. Two of the three bells have chimed for final call."

"Thank you, Quin."

Daniel smiled his gratitude, but was prevented from speaking by Laro as the other man pulled him along the path toward the center of town. "Come, Daniel, we must be at the arena before the final call or you will not be allowed to speak."

Daniel stopped abruptly. "Speak?"

"Yes, in the arena. Most of our three hundred plus population will be watching as you present your testimony to the High Council."

The young archaeologist groaned. "Terrific. Three down, three hundred to go."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||