MISHAP: Part 28

by:  PHO
Feedback to:  phowmo@mindspring.com



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Sam sat beside Tiamon's bed, gently wiping sweat from his brow and trying to provide such comfort as she, a total stranger, could. His brief stint with awareness had not made a reappearance, and she strongly suspected it would not. She barely knew the man, but she liked him instinctively, and would be very sorry if he should not survive. She knew, also, that Vraxas was in one sense correct; she and Teal'c were responsible for Tiamon's illness. Their very existence would apparently cost this man his life, even though they had done nothing to cause his illness directly. A low moan pulled her from her thoughts, and she carefully replaced the now dry cloth on his forehead with a cool, wet one. As she attempted to care for the young man, she once again marveled at Janet Fraiser and her staff. Their skill and dedication to the often thankless job of healing caused Sam to realize she'd willingly give a month's pay for one of them right now.

The sound of wings, and a rustling noise in the outer room piqued her curiosity. Deciding it was safe to leave Tiamon alone for a short time, she walked into the hall, and had to work to stifle a giggle. A small bird, about the size of a pigeon, was parading around a small enclosure. What it looked like in flight, she could only imagine, but on the ground, well, absurd was the word that came to mind. The enclosure was separated from the hall by what appeared to be glass. Sam watched, entranced, as the little bird flirted with her through the glass, it's head feathers doing a lively dance as it sought to gain her attention. Her eyes widened as she caught sight of a little band around its leg. "Hmmm, you must be the local version of a homing pigeon. Wish Marne was here."


To Marne's surprise, Teal'c quickly led the way back through the tunnels to Tiamon's home without once asking for directions. The Jaffa had spoken not two words since leaving Vraxas' living area, but Marne sensed his companion was worried. 'However could we have thought these people were Goa'uld? So quick to judge, and condemn. So slow to realize our ... my mistake.' As they entered Tiamon's cellar, Marne glanced at the other man. "Teal'c, I must apologize to you and Samantha Carter, as well as your other friends."

"The ignoble actions of Vraxas, and his supporters, are not your fault, Marne." Teal'c started up the stairs, but was stopped by Marne's hand on his arm.

"You misunderstand. When we found the flying machine-"

"The UAV?"

"I believe that is what you call it. When we found the UAV, I was the one who convinced Tiamon that it was a Goa'uld device, and that they would come in search of it. And when Samantha used the speaking device-"

"The radio."

"Ah, the radio. When Samantha used the radio, Tiamon was convinced that I was correct. I then sent word back to the High Council of your arrival."

Teal'c nodded in understanding. "There is no need for an apology, Marne, and I am certain Major Carter will feel the same way. Your world has been visited by the Goa'uld. It is to your credit that you guard against their return."


As the two men entered the hall, Marne spotted the bird in the enclosure and frowned, his brow wrinkling in concern. Motioning Teal'c into Tiamon's room, Marne continued on past the door toward the bird and whatever message it might bring. Sam glanced up, surprised, as Teal'c swept into the bedroom. "Back so soon?"

"Yes, there is Lac'til poison in the wine in Vraxas' living area." Teal'c knelt quickly beside the bed. "Has his fever risen?"

"No, but it's not lower either. Lac'til?"

"Yes, a poison much in favor until approximately seventy-five years ago. It simulates a natural viral illness, but all attempts to medicate the person affected fail. Eventually, the victim's fever lowers to tolerable levels."

Sam groaned. "Does this mean the tub and sponge baths were unnecessary?"

"Yes. The fever would have fallen regardless."

"Okay, so it's a poison. There's obviously a catch."

"Indeed. Once the fever starts to rise again, the internal organs begin to dehydrate, causing much pain until the person eventually dies. Once the dehydration process begins, there is no way to prevent it."

"Oh God. Rat poison."

"I do not understand."

"We have similar poisons on earth, used to eliminate small rodents. Nasty, nasty stuff. ... you said once the fever begins to rise. Is there an antidote?"

"Yes. Salt."

"Salt? You mean regular table salt?"

"Actually I believe any form of salt will negate the poison."

"So ... all we have to do is find a little table salt, and he'll be okay?"

Teal'c shook his head. "No. At least a cup of salt must be forced into the stomach within an hour's time to counteract the Lac'til."

Sam gulped. "Gross. Well, we best find some and get started..." She stopped speaking as Marne entered the room. "Marne, Teal'c knows the cure and if you'll... what's wrong?"

The other man's eyes were filled with pain. "I am sorry. One of Tiamon's Martiques has returned with a message from two of our men who were keeping watch over the temple."

Sam braced herself for the worst. "And?"

"They report that two Goa'uld were killed by the Redcaps in the south. I fear they may have been your friends."

"Oh, God." Sam slumped to the floor, desperately fighting back tears. "I, uh."

"I am very sorry." Marne looked gravely at the two SG-1 members. "I..." His words were interrupted by a voice from the door.

"I am sorry, Lord Marne, last light is upon us, and Councilman Vraxas has sent me to collect the prisoners, as well as the testimony."

"There is no testimony, Colen." Marne replied reluctantly. "Lord Tiamon was able to give no evidence, either for or against th...the prisoners."

The other man nodded somberly. "Then by rule of law, the testimony is against them."

Marne cast a guilty eye toward Sam and Teal'c, then responded. "Unless Lord Tiamon is able to speak when he is called at trial."

The other man nodded, then turned to Sam and Teal'c. "You will accompany me."

Marne held out a hand. "Just a moment, Colen. There is no reason for you to remain. I will escort them to Vraxas myself."

The other man stared at him for a moment, then nodded. "Do not tarry too long, Lord Marne. Vraxas will not be pleased."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||