MISHAP: Part 25

by:  PHO
Feedback to:  phowmo@mindspring.com



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Major Louis Ferretti found himself facing a megalomaniac, at least that's how he perceived High Councilman Vraxas. The man was pacing in front of a well-guarded home, making notations on documents, giving meaningless orders to innocent bystanders and militia alike, and occasionally muttering angrily to himself. He'd barely glanced up as the major arrived. Vraxas' lack of interest in the SG-2 commander initially confused the young major, until he realized he was being used as a pawn in a show of power by the councilman. 'That son-of-a-bitch!' Ferretti thought angrily. 'I'm worrying about my team. My team's probably ... no, no probably to it. My team's worrying about me, and that bastard has me cooling my heels out here while he plays God! Special. Shit, I hope Hancock has the sense to keep working on the escape route.'

The hours went by, and still Vraxas made no move toward his prisoner. Even Ferretti's guards were becoming anxious, and more than a little bored. Finally one of the men abandoned even the pretense of standing watch, and sat down on a nearby rock wall. This action gained the unfortunate man Vraxas' undivided attention. "Fool! You guard the most dangerous creature known to us, and you would relax your vigil because your feet hurt?"

The startled guard was on his feet in a flash. "My Lord, I..I..."

Vraxas glared the man into silence. After a few tense moments, Ferretti cleared his throat. Vraxas whirled to face the prisoner, announcing in his most arrogant voice. "You, of course, know whose home this is."

"'fraid not." Ferretti replied shortly.

Vraxas practically snarled at the man. "Lord Tiamon is the resident."

Ferretti looked puzzled. "And I should care exactly why?"

"Your fellow Goa'ulds are currently inside, bearing witness to the consequences of their actions."

'Damn, this guy talks like he's running for office.' "To begin with, neither my companions or myself are Goa'uld. As for my friends inside the house, they have done nothing wrong and they aren't Goa'uld either."

"They've given Lord Tiamon a fatal illness." Vraxas looked smug.

Ferretti smiled wickedly. "Just exactly how do you know it's fatal? He's still alive, isn't he?"


Daniel gulped. "I take it the bird is trained to fly to its home, but will it be safe?"

"There are no flying predators in our part of this world, Daniel. The Martique will be quite safe. This is the second such journey this particular bird has made recently. The first was to warn of the capture of the Goa'uld spies."

"I see." Daniel fell silent. His thoughts were once again whirling madly, and he really, really wished he could just stop and hide somewhere ... anywhere. Once the little bird arrived at its destination, Daniel knew that Sam and Teal'c, as well as SG-2, would think he and Jack had been killed. Terrific. That's all they needed. Realizing that the best way to stop their grief would be to get to their location quickly, Daniel commented. "My friends, I must confess to some small amount of fear. It is growing later, see how the sun grows lower in the sky, and I do not wish to be out in the open again."

Elden nodded. "I agree. We had intended to take shelter for the night in the inner temple, but your arrival has changed that. We must return home as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, it will be almost last light before we arrive. Come, we must hurry." He suddenly frowned. "Daniel, are you feeling any ill effects from your wound? Any dizziness, nausea,..."

"No, but I am very tired." Daniel replied truthfully.

Elden reached into his pouch and handed Daniel a small vial. "This will not prevent infection, or illness, but it should increase your energy levels for a while."

The young man eyed the green liquid suspiciously, then noticed that Laro and Elden were watching him closely. "I have never seen this color before. Does it taste as bad as it looks?"

Laro grinned broadly. "Worse."

"Sweet." Daniel knew he had little choice. The men seemed friendly enough, and he was too damned tired to make it much further. Tilting the vial to his mouth, he gagged as the substance oozed down his throat. Sputtering, he gasped. "Y..you're right ... much, much worse."


Teal'c interrupted the dialog between Sam and Marne. "Major Carter, there is really no choice. Marne is the only one who is able to leave this house freely."

Sam's face fell. "Damn. Vraxas has left us alone so long, I forgot. Why is he ignoring us, anyhow?"

Marne frowned. "I do not know. You are correct. It has been too long since we entered here. Vraxas should have sent guards in to ensure... Oh!"

"Oh? What's oh?" Sam asked quickly.

The Euloean looked mildly embarrassed. "I should have thought of this before. Vraxas will permit us to remain with Tiamon until the last possible moment, hoping he will die."

"And if he does, die I mean?"

"Then all of us will be responsible, and Vraxas will be able to execute us, without a trial."

"Oh joy." Sam hadn't felt this helpless or disgusted in a very long time.

"I must make haste. I will search Vraxas' home. Please remain here and try to help Tiamon."

"Uh, Marne. They won't leave us alone in here, no matter what Vraxas may want."

The man grinned broadly. "Vraxas does not know of the tunnel." His grin faded as he recalled the reason behind the tunnel. "When the Goa'uld first attacked our world with the Redcaps, we were unprepared for anything that, that violent. The older homes, like this one, have shelters or tunnels where the original inhabitants hid from the beasts. Some of the tunnels lead outside the walls, so that those in the fields could gain safety quickly. Remember, the walls didn't exist at first so that the tunnels were the only thing that stood been the people and death. Most inhabitants do not know of them."

"So you're going outside the walls? And will use another tunnel to get back into the village?

"Not exactly. The tunnels also run between some of the homes within the compound. I can get within one hundred feet of Vraxas' home. I should be able to enter without being noticed."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||