MISHAP: Part 22

by:  PHO
Feedback to:  phowmo@mindspring.com

Author's Notes: all medical mistakes are mine. Mine I tell you <g>



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


"Muggers? That is an odd name." Laro tightened his grip on Daniel's shoulders as he spoke.

The young archaeologist suppressed a groan as the overly friendly man's hand settled more tightly on Daniel's injured shoulder. For a short while the exhilaration of role-playing had diminished the pain, but Laro had quite a grip. The rough edges of his jacket... Jacket? Oh, shit, shit, shit. Stupid, Daniel, really, really stupid. He was dressed just like Sam, Teal'c, and the unnamed SG team. Elden and Laro had spoken of how beautiful the woman was. They had to have seen the clothing. That meant they were just biding their time until they got back to the village. But why? Oh, shit! Double, no triple stupid. They were afraid he was Goa'uld, and the two of them were no match for one of those creatures. He'd been stupidly overconfident. Glancing at Laro, he noticed beads of sweat forming on the man's brow. Nerves. Had to be. His companion was terrified. Daniel moaned silently as he realized that his overconfidence just might have doomed them all.


Ferretti was once again a very unhappy camper. He and his team had been forced to watch helplessly as Major Carter and Teal'c had been taken away. For all he knew, they were being tortured; but based on their condition so far, he really didn't think so. He was simply letting his imagination run away with him. Of course, the fact that their weapons had been confiscated when they took Carter and Teal'c away, did nothing to improve his temper. He'd really counted on the natives not realizing what the weapons were. More fool he. And to find that the colonel was missing somewhere south of the temple with an injured Daniel ... what else was new ... was almost too much.

"Sir?" Spenser's shaky voice pulled Ferretti out of his thoughts.

"Yes Spenser?"

"Sir, do you think these folks might think we're Goa'uld, too?"

The officer smiled grimly. "Unfortunately I don't see any way they could think otherwise." He paused and looked at his team. "Listen up, people. I need everyone's take on the route from the entrance to this hut. Lieutenant, you still have that notebook of yours?"

"Yes, sir." The younger man grinned as he ripped pages from the notebook, and handed them to the other three men.

"Got any... oh, good." Ferretti grinned as he took a pen from his second. "Only two? Oh, well, we'll have to share."

Anderson looked blankly at the paper in his hand. "Sir, I don't get it."

The major sighed. "All of us will jot down what we saw from the gate to this hut, without comparing notes. Once we're done, we'll put it together and hash out any differences. Then we're set."

"For what, sir?"

Before the major could respond, Hancock interjected. "The great escape, Anderson, the great escape."


After a short absence, Marne reappeared. "The reservoir is filled, I'll help..." His eyes widened with shock as the Jaffa easily lifted the feverish man's bulk off of his sick bed. "Uh, right this way. Just follow me."

Sam carried the med-kits as she followed Teal'c down a long dark corridor. The bathing room was not as large as she'd anticipated, and the reservoir reflected this lack of size. With a gasp of dismay, she realized that while Tiamon would be able to bath relatively comfortably in this tub, there was no way he'd be able to be submerged completely in water. At most they could sink him up to his lower ribs. But it would have to do. "Teal'c, Marne, get his clothes off, and get him in the water."

She backed into the hall as the two men struggled with the limp form of the young warrior. At last she heard the splash, and Teal'c's calm voice. "He is in the water, Major Carter."

Sam darted back into the room and proceeded to activate one of the cool packs. Placing it on the young man's neck, she spoke rapidly. "Marne, please find a large bowl, cup, something. Actually a couple of them will work. We need to dip water and let it run over his upper torso."

Marne nodded in understanding and disappeared, reappearing soon with a heavy flask, and three large bowls. He handed a bowl to each of the SG-1 members, then took the last for himself. Sam held the cool pack in place with one hand, and filled a bowl with the other. Glancing back at the flask, she asked. "What's with the flask?"

"Dipping is hot work. I have brought us drink to keep us cool."


Vraxas paced impatiently outside Tiamon's home. "What is taking so long? Surely even that imbecile, Marne, can't deny the seriousness of his illness."

"Sir?"

Vraxas turned to find himself the object of intense scrutiny. The guards on Tiamon's door were from the man's own staff. Clearing his throat, the cunning man put on his most solemn face. "I wish to speak to the commander of the four men who were just brought in. Bring him here at once."


Either Tiamon's fever was slightly lower, or she'd heated up enough to match his body temperature. Wiping sweat from her forehead, she conceded that either situation was possible. Noticing her discomfort, Marne smiled. "Please, drink from the flask. It will quench your thirst."

Sam returned his smile, and put the bowl down. Pulling the flask to her, she took a deep gulp, and promptly choked. The cool pack disappeared into the water as she hacked and gasped for breath. "Wh..what the heck is in this?"

Marne looked concerned. "Surely you have drink like this where you are from? It lifts the spirits, and calms the nerves."

"I can believe that." She handed the flask to Teal'c, then got busy opening another cool pack. "Careful, Teal'c, it's got more kick than the moonshine that the colonel..." Her words faded away.

"Major Carter," Teal'c asked with concern, "are you well?"

"Hmmm? Oh, I'm fine Teal'c. Marne, the stuff in this flask, can you get a lot of it. And I mean a lot."

"Yes, it is found in abundance in most homes."

"Excellent. Please go get as much as you can." Marne nodded puzzled, then disappeared in to the hall.

"I do not understand, Major Carter." Teal'c looked as puzzled as the Euloean.

"When I was a kid, Teal'c, no one used cool baths to lower the body temperature of a sick person. They used rubbing alcohol. It evaporates quickly, cooling the body rapidly. Unless I miss my guess, this stuff is about the strength of rubbing alcohol."

"And you believe this will cure Tiamon?"

Sam blushed with embarrassment. "Actually, I don't think anything we do will cure him."

"Then what is our purpose?"

"Oh, don't get me wrong. I want to lower his temperature, and I really hope he'll pull through. But my first thought is to get his fever down low enough that he will come to and tell us what happened."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||