MISHAP: Part 20

by:  PHO
Feedback to:  phowmo@mindspring.com



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


'Sentenced to die? Sentenced to die!' The words whirled dizzily around Daniel's tired brain. Sam and Teal'c were prisoners. But what about the others? He forced himself to focus on the natives' conversation again.

"Well, you're not often right, but I have to agree that the woman is beautiful. Pity."

"What'll happen to other men?"

"Don't be stupid, Laro. They came looking for the two Goa'uld. Guilty by association. I hear that they're not officially prisoners, but Vraxas is pretty much running things right now. He's not likely to let them live if the other two get convicted."

The voices faded away as the two men moved further from Daniel's hiding place. The horrified young man stood absolutely still. His stomach was dancing to an uneasy tune, and his heart, well, it had run the Boston marathon in record time. He had to help his friends, as well as that unknown SG team. Which teams had been on earth when SG-1 left for this accursed planet? Slapping his forehead in frustration, he realized that the important thing wasn't which team, rather, it was four additional lives at stake. He had to help them, but what about Jack?


For once Daniel had been wrong. Jack had been able, barely, to give himself an injection of morphine and was now feeling almost good. Almost. But, remembering his last not-so-successful attempt, not quite good enough to try moving. 'I'll let the morphine do its thing, then I'll go find Daniel.' His eyes grew heavy, and after three futile attempts to keep it upright, his head fell backwards to lean against the wall behind him.


Daniel sank to the floor of the temple. This entire mission had been one disaster after another. He should never have asked to go south. The team should have stayed together. Now, Jack was injured, alone and defenseless in that basement. Sam, Teal'c and four other men were facing death somewhere. God, he didn't even know where. What to do, what to do? It would soon be dark, and the creatures would return. Jack was in no condition to defend himself against them, even if he had an unlimited supply of bullets. Which, of course, he did not. And the distraction of fresh meat through the Stargate would not happen again. Daniel didn't know what timetable the rescuers had been on, but he knew enough about the SGC's commander to know that the next thing through the 'gate would be the MALP.

What should he do? Chase after Sam and Teal'c or return to Jack? What would Jack do if forced to choose between team members? Two dead, or one dead? Only in this case it would be six dead or one dead. The numbers were the deciding factor. He couldn't allow six people to die. He simply couldn't. 'God, Jack, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.'

Pushing himself to his feet, he knew that his next course of action would be to locate the place where six SGC members were being held.


Guilty. The verdict was in and he had been found unanimously guilty on all charges. Negligence, dereliction of duty, manslaughter, murder ... criminal stupidity. Their faces floated freely in front of him ... Daniel, Sam, Teal'c ... all convicting him of his crimes, asking the questions not asked before, when they still lived.

Chocolate brown eyes focused directly on his face. "O'Neill, our mission was to retrieve the UAV, nothing more. Why did you deviate from this?"

"Colonel, sir, I don't understand. We never go in different directions. Not at first. Why did you leave us?"

"Jack, I didn't want to leave you, alone. But you said you couldn't travel. That I had to get help. So now we're both alone. Why did you let me go alone?"

"Oh, God! I'm sorry, Teal'c. I'm sorry, Carter. I'm sorry, Daniel. I didn't mean to. I'm so sorry!"


It wasn't hard to find the two natives. They were making no effort to conceal their conversation, obviously thinking they were alone. Daniel smiled wryly to himself as he considered his limited options. He could continue to follow them and learn absolutely nothing or he could confront them. Concealing his sidearm in his belt behind his back, he stepped quietly out from the shadows. "Well met, fellow travelers."

The reaction was exactly what he'd expected. Both men whirled to face him, weapons at the ready. Elden spoke warily. "Who are you?"

Daniel smiled and held open his arms, palms facing up. "Easy gentlemen, I'm unarmed. My name is Daniel."

"Did you come through the stone circle?" Laro asked.

"Stone circle?" Daniel feigned confusion. "I'm not sure I understand. I've traveled a long way in search of one named Vraxas."


There was a crowd of curious onlookers, well-wishers, mourners, whatever, in front of the small block building. Sam and Teal'c walked unbound, but under guard behind Vraxas, toward the door. Marne stood beside the door, looking grave. Holding up a hand, he halted their forward progress. "Councilman Vraxas, my Lord Tiamon grows worse. I am not certain it will be advisable for you to enter."

"His accusation must be recorded." Vraxas replied haughtily.

"I am only thinking of your safety, Councilman." Marne smiled slightly. "I would not wish you to endanger your health with prolonged exposure to my Lord Tiamon."

Vraxas' color changed from red to white and back to red in a matter of seconds. "His accusation must be recorded."

"Then allow me the honor of recording it." Marne met Vraxas's eyes and held them as he spoke.

The Councilman glared, caught in a web of his own making. "Very well. The matter is in your hands." Glancing at Sam and Teal'c, he continued. "Beware of trickery, Marne."

Marne bowed to the fuming councilman, then looked sternly at Sam and Teal'c. "Be warned, prisoners, all exits from this place are guarded. There is no escaping your fate."


"Vraxas? Why he's the...umph?" Laro gasped as Elden side-punched him in the stomach.

"Where did you hear the name of Vraxas?"

Daniel smiled, and prayed silently for the right words. "His name is well-known as a wise man, a just man, a true leader to his people. I have come from afar to learn from him."

Elden nodded. "He is indeed all that. And, Daniel, you are in luck. He will soon preside at the trial of a pair of Goa'uld, and once found guilty of their crimes, he will see to their execution."

The young scientist cringed inwardly, before forcing an enthusiastic response. "Goa'uld? Here? Now? That is indeed terrifying. How came they here?"

"As in the olden days, they have come through the stone circle. Our brave Lord Tiamon captured them, but has paid a heavy price."

"Indeed?"

"Yes, he now lies dying from some unknown Goa'uld disease."

Daniel looked concerned. "My people have some skill with Goa'uld afflictions. Perhaps I can be of assistance to your Lord Tiamon?"

Elden and Laro exchanged significant looks, then Elden responded. "We will take you to him."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||