MISHAP: Part 12

by:  PHO
Feedback to:  phowmo@mindspring.com



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


"I do not believe this!" Ferretti was furious. His team had arrived two hours before on PRS-905, and had managed to travel the incredible distance of 100 feet from the 'gate. They had been all of forty feet past the DHD when they realized they were surrounded. "What are these things?"

"Damn persistent, that's what." Lt. Hancock groused as he fired another short burst into the air. "Sir, are you sure we shouldn't just shoot to kill? Maybe a body or two would scare them away permanently. They can't be intelligent, look how many got caught in the 'gate flux."

Ferretti shook his head. "Not gonna take the chance, Hancock. Killing one might drive them away, then again it might start a mob scene, and we just don't have the ammo for that. No, the fire and the occasional over-the-head shot will have to do."

"Sir, should we try to get back to the SGC?" Airman Mark Anderson tried to hide the fear in his voice.

"Only if we have to, Anderson. SG-1's out there, and I'm thinking it's pretty obvious they need our help."

"Yes, sir, but what if these things took them out?"

"Don't even think that, Airman!" Ferretti softened his tone as he continued. "The UAV footage didn't show any sign of these creatures, so I'm hoping they only come out at night. SG-1 arrived in daylight so that probably allowed them to find the UAV. And with Dr. Jackson's interest in the temple, well, leaving after dark is definitely in the realm of possibility."

"SHIT! Oh God!" A blast from a nine millimeter pistol combined with frightened screams to pull everyone's attention to the Airman farthest out.

"Spenser!" Ferretti took aim and fired straight into the head of the creature dragging Airman Craig Spenser away. The beast dropped dead in its tracks, and a frantic soldier scrambled backwards away from the body, even as his commander rushed forward. The major ducked quickly, grabbing Spenser's arm, and pulling him to his feet. Hancock and Anderson provided cover fire as Ferretti helped the younger man to safety. "So much for not killing one. You okay, Spenser?"

"Y..Yes, sir. But I don't want to repeat the experience. I thought I was gonna be somebody's midnight snack for a little while. I..I don't know how it got that close, sir. I never saw it."

Ferretti frowned as he listened to the sounds of night. "That's okay, son. Right now, everyone start backing toward the DHD."

Hancock looked at his commanding officer in confusion. "Sir?"

"Listen."

Hancock concentrated, twisting around to in an effort to hear what Ferretti heard. "Sorry, sir, I don't hear anything."

"Neither do I. They've either run away, which I doubt, or they're regrouping for an assault. If it's the first, all we wasted is time. But if it's the last, then I want to be between them and the 'gate before it happens."


Jack's eyes finally closed into an uneasy slumber, but even in sleep, the older man's features showed lines of remembered pain. Daniel gently checked for fever, and was relieved to find none. Easing up from his friend's side, he moved closer to the fire, ostensibly to add wood, or at least that's what he would tell Jack if he should awaken. In reality he was cold. Colder than he could remember being in a long, long time. And not from the night air. That was chilly, but bearable. No, landing underneath the snarling animal, feeling it's rancid breath growing ever closer to the back of his neck, knowing that at any moment the large incisors would sever his spine, all combined to light a cold terror in his heart. He'd almost died. Again. Shuddering, he added another piece of wood to the fire, praying that no more creatures came calling.

"Daniel?" The voice was barely above a whisper. The younger man whirled to find a pair of brown eyes watching him intently. "You're bleeding." The reproach was evident in his tone. "You should have told me."

"It's just a scratch, Jack."

"Right. From your shoulder to your waist. Some scratch."

"It ..."

"Needs cleaning. Since Mohammed can't go to the mountain, the mountain must come to Mohammed. And bring the med-kit with you. I can't quite reach it."

Daniel sighed heavily, and for once, did as he was told. Sitting down next to the colonel, he handed him the med-kit, and turned his back to the man.

A low whistle caused him to twist his head around in a poor imitation of an owl as Jack examined his back. "Hold still. You could use a few stitches in your shoulder, Daniel. I'll try to butterfly it, but the first strong yank is gonna pull it loose."

"Thanks."

"Welcome. ... Dammit."

"What's wrong?"

"Can't open the band-aids with one hand."

"Then hand them to me, I'll open them. We'll make this a team effort."

"Deal." Jack slipped the Band-Aids into Daniel's outstretched palm, and used water from the canteen to wash down the injury. He ignored Daniel's wince of pain as he applied peroxide to the wound, then dabbed salve onto the line of the injury. Daniel silently handed him back the Band-Aids, and waited. Nothing.

"Jack?"

"I, uh, I can't do this one-handed either." The sheepish tone brought a smile to Daniel's lips. "Can you reach ..."

Daniel twisted slightly, and slid his hand over his shoulder to grasp the end of one of the Band-aids that Jack was holding in place. Pressing down, he held it securely while Jack pulled it across the wound forcing the skin underneath to draw tightly closed. The procedure was repeated twice more before the colonel spoke again. "That should do it."

"Thanks."

"Welcome. ... You okay?"

The young man smiled as he turned around and slid back against the wall beside his friend. "I should be asking that question. You should be resting. Ouch. What the... Oh."

Jack's eyes danced with suppressed laughter as Daniel pulled Jack's handgun out from under his thigh.

"Ooops."

Jack's retort was cut-off by a snarl from above. Daniel gasped, and fired as the creature jumped. Its scream of rage turned into a whimper of pain as it flopped heavily to the floor and died. "Oh, God, that was close."

"This is getting to be a bad habit."

Daniel grinned shakily as he replied. "Ya think?"

The expected response was not forthcoming. Daniel studied his friend's tired face closely. "What?"

"Put out the fire, Daniel."

"What?"

"We can't stay here."

"We can't leave!" Daniel's voice was aghast at the idea.

"Are the stairs closed in on both sides?"

"Yes, but they can't be barricaded, both doors open out, and I had to pry the upstairs one open. It may not shut entirely."

"It'll have to do. Maybe they'll ignore the doors if they can't see us. Help me up."

"Jack."

"Daniel."

Sighing the young man rose, and checked Jack's bandages. Taking him by his good arm, he braced and helped the older man to his feet. Or in this case, his foot. All the color drained from Jack's face, and Daniel held his breath, terrified that the injured man would faint at any moment. After a few minutes, a shaky voice spoke up. "Let's go."

Daniel stared at the dead bodies for a moment. "Jack, what if they hunt by smell?"

Jack responded through clenched teeth. "I can't solve everything, Daniel."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||