MISHAP: Part 3

by:  PHO
Feedback to:  phowmo@mindspring.com



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Sam remained firmly frozen in place, whispering quietly to her companion. "How many of them are there? Can you tell?"

"There are eighteen, Major Carter."

"Terrific." She took a deep breath, allowing herself time to study the beings in the temple. She relaxed slightly as she realized that the locals were indeed human, albeit dressed strangely. All wore masks, a detail which had at first led her to believe they were truly alien. The intricately detailed masks represented creatures with which she was unfamiliar. Her vision came to rest on a tall, brightly dressed figure who'd moved to stand with his hand resting on the UAV. She allowed herself a moment to study the man, and was slightly startled to find that he was obviously studying her ... them. Suddenly he removed his mask, bringing a barely restrained gasp to Sam's lips. The leader, for that's what Sam assumed he was, was without a doubt one of the most handsome men she'd ever seen. Jet black hair framed a long, slender face. Intense steel-gray eyes took on a magnetic quality as they came to rest on her own blue eyes. She found that she could not, even if she'd wanted to, look away.

He smiled as he approached Sam. Reaching forward he gently touched her face, then turned his attention on Teal'c. A frown replaced the smile as he asked gravely. "Do you serve the Lord Apophis?"

Teal'c responded gravely as Sam's eyes widened with surprise at hearing the Goa'uld's name. "I do not."

"You bear his mark."

Teal'c's head ducked in agreement. "I was once in his service, but no longer."

The gray eyes narrowed in disbelief. "I have never heard of such a thing. It is taught amongst my people that once taken by the Goa'uld, a man ... or a woman ... is lost forever."

The Jaffa once again agreed with the man. "I have been most fortunate to have had the aide of good friends in escaping Apophis."

"I would be honored to meet those who have escaped the evil that is Apophis."

"We're..." Sam's words were cut off by the leader's finger being placed gently on her lips. "In a moment, little one, right now I am speaking with your man."


Daniel coughed heavily as the dust settled around him. Jack's startled shout of alarm still rang in his ears as he was finally able to reach the newly formed pit. Throwing himself onto his stomach, he peered into the pit, but could see nothing but dust rising from the dark depths. "Jack! Jack, can you hear me?" Silence. Daniel jumped to his feet, frantically searching for his pack. He had a flashlight, and maybe rope, in his pack. 'God, Jack, please be okay.' Where the hell was that pack? Oh, wait. He'd dropped it by ... yes, that was it, the first doorway he'd come to. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Jack was always bawling him out for forgetting his equipment. Where was that door? Daniel darted across the courtyard, giving the newly formed hole a wide berth. He slid to a halt by the pillar Jack had been leaning against. Oh, God. His pack. Jack had once again covered for him, and brought his pack, probably formulating another 'pull your own weight' lecture as he did so.

Fighting down a rush of guilt at the insensitive thought, Daniel yanked the pack open, and fumbled for the flashlight. There. The flashlight. Thank God. But no rope, dammit to hell. Where? Shit. With Teal'c. Always with Teal'c. The Jaffa's strength allowed him to carry more than twice the weight in his pack than either Sam or Daniel, and almost two-third's more weight than Jack. The extra, not often used but might come in handy, stuff was always packed with Teal'c. And he, Dr. Daniel Jackson, resident idiot, had managed to split the SG-1 team in half for this trip.

Daniel stumbled blindly back to the pit and once more flung himself down near the edge. His fingers trembled as he snapped the light on and directed the beam into the hole. For a moment, he forgot to breathe. Jack O'Neill lay, unconscious, on the rocky floor of a very old tunnel. Even from his location, Daniel could see the livid purple bruise forming near the older man's temple. And his leg. Good God. Jack's right leg was bent at an unnatural angle, and from the size of the rocks near Jack's shoulder, Daniel suspected that it might also be injured, and God only knew what else. He really needed to get down there, but how?


Samantha Carter was livid. Actually, she was ready to explode. Every attempt she'd made to speak had been curtailed by the leader of these, these primitives. And Teal'c had done nothing, absolutely nothing in her behalf. Not that she needed his help, or anyone else's for that matter. Damn the man, or Jaffa, or whatever! How dare he ... get a grip, Sam. Teal'c's right. He's playing along with the native culture until we know for certain what kind of situation we're in. She forced herself to control her breathing, and listen, really listen, to what the two men were saying.

"She is not your woman." The leader smiled benignly at the pretty blond.

Teal'c shook his head. "No, among the Tau'ri, the women are respected, and treated as equals. Major Carter is a warrior. Her skills are in no way lacking or lessened because she is not a male."

Sam felt her cheeks warm with embarrassment and hoped no one could see her blush. Okay, she really should have known better. Teal'c, ever loyal, honest, sincere, Teal'c, would never treat her any other way himself. Way to go, Sam. Shit.

The leader turned to her and smiled once more, this time respectfully. "It is an honor to meet a female warrior, Major Carter. In my culture, the females are to be cherished and protected at all costs."

"Uh, yes, well, uh, thank you." Now that she was allowed to speak without interruption, Sam couldn't think of a thing to say. She was saved from her own discomfiture by the crackle of her radio. She immediately twisted the little mike toward her mouth, and responded. "Carter here. I..I can barely hear you. Teal'c and I have found ... Cave-in? Injured? Yes, Yes of course, we're on our way, Colonel." Disconnecting the radio, she turned to Teal'c. "They found some sort of city. And there's been a cave-in. I could barely make him out, but Daniel's been hurt. We're needed there with the rope. We need to... oops."

Teal'c and Sam suddenly found themselves staring at the business end of the local weapons.

The leader's face was grim. "Only the Goa'uld have the ability to speak as you do. You will now come with us, as our prisoners, not our guests."

"No, wait. We're not Goa'uld. We're peaceful explorers, and we really need to find our friends. Someone's hurt, maybe dying."

The man studied the true depth of feelings in her eyes. "That is of no consequence. We do not hold the life of the Goa'uld to be sacred. You will come with us." He held up a hand as Teal'c started to protest. "You will come with us, or you will die ... now."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||