THE MÉTIS: Part 5

by:  Lyn
Feedback to:  lyntownsend@hotmail.com



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Jack sighed with relief as the abandoned hut came into view. He stole a glance at the man walking resolutely beside him. Daniel was out on his feet, his entire body screamed exhaustion, yet he plodded on, concentrating on putting one foot in front of the other. Twice now, he had stumbled and would have fallen if Jack and Sam hadn't been there to catch him. He steadfastly refused any help beyond Jack's steadying grip on his arm.


The hut was old, damp and dusty, but it offered shelter from the elements and there was a rough stone ringed circle in the middle of the room, which looked as if it had once been used as a fireplace.


Jack ushered Daniel through the broken down door after instructing Teal'c and Carter to try to find some dry kindling. As he stood, surveying the room, he barely heard the whisper.

"Ja'k"

He spun around just as Daniel's exhausted body folded in on itself, and caught him, lowering him gently to the ground. He quickly removed a sleeping bag from its pack and covered Daniel with it. The unconscious man was racked by tremors and moaned softly as they jarred his injured leg. Jack felt for a pulse, it was rapid and weak. He turned his attention to the leg wound and cursed.

"Oh, Jesus"

At sometime, during the walk, probably when he had almost fallen, Daniel had reopened the wound. The pressure bandage was a red, sodden mess.

"Gotta get you out of here, buddy" he whispered.

He pulled another pad from the first aid kit and pushed it hard against the leg, wincing as Daniel cried out and tried to twist away from him.

"Colonel" he turned at the sound of Carter's voice.

"It's about time, Major. We've got to get him warmed up."

He stopped abruptly as he saw Sam, then Teal'c pushed roughly into the room, followed by several large men armed with clubs, roughly hewn knives and axes. Jack raised his hands slowly, but remained kneeling at Daniel's side.

"See you found some new friends, Major. What's going on?"

Carter shrugged.

"They took us by surprise, sir"

The men were large, broadshouldered and dressed in leather pants and jackets trimmed with fur. They appeared to be Native Americans, much like the Coast Salish they had encountered previously, but, Jack decided, not nearly as friendly as Tonane and his tribe had been. Jack decided to take a leaf from Daniel's book. He smiled broadly, hands still held up, palms outward.

"Hi there. How you doing?"

He was rewarded with a brutal backhander to his face, that sent him hard to the ground. Through the stars crowding his vision, he saw Teal'c tense himself and move forward.

"No, Teal'c. I'm okay"

He held his arm out, warning him to stay put. He felt the split in his lip and slowly got back up to his knees. The man had now turned to Daniel, ripping the sleeping bag from the shivering body. He ran his eyes over Daniel and prodded at his bleeding wound with his club. Daniel cried out in agony and Jack clenched his hands into fists.

'If the bastard hurt him…'

The man straightened up and looked again at Jack.

"You are the Chief of your tribe?" he asked.

"Yeah, you could say that" Jack answered.

"You have come to steal the Masters' gold."

It was a statement and Jack shook his head vehemently.

"No, really. We're explorers from Earth - Tau'ri. We come in peace and we'll go in peace." Jack said.

As he spoke, he edged closer to Daniel. He had seen Daniel return to painful consciousness when the Indian leader had poked at his leg, looking confused and anxious.

"It is forbidden to come through the Chappa-ai. Only the Masters may do so"

"You see, we didn't know that" Carter spoke up, trying to divert the tribesman's attention from O'Neill.

The Indians whirled to look at her, obviously shocked to hear a woman's voice and Jack took the opportunity to move swiftly to Daniel's side, one finger on his lips, his other hand reaching to rest on the younger man's forehead. He frowned at the icy cold he felt there, Daniel's features were pale and damp with sweat, despite the chill of his skin.

"Only the Masters may receive the gold from our mines. No one else may do so" another Indian spoke up.

Carter spoke again.

"We're sorry, okay? We meant no harm. If you'll just take us back to the gate - the Chappa-ai, we'll leave and not return."

"How was this one injured?" the leader asked, gesturing at Daniel.

"It was an accident" Jack replied quickly.

"We found the bodies of the Masters' servants." the man shouted.

"We will not go easily on you if you deceive us"

He turned suddenly to Teal'c.

"This one bears the mark of the Masters'. Are you Métis also?"

Teal'c raised an eyebrow and looked at Jack. As Jack opened his mouth to answer, Daniel spoke softly.

"M - Métis? It's French, it means half-breed. Comes from the French Indians - Canada. Some tribes took captives from other tribes, used them as slaves."

He licked dry lips and closed his eyes, exhausted by the effort.

"We serve no masters" Teal'c explained.

"We are free people, peaceful explorers"

"You speak lies" one of the men spat.

"Kill them now"

Others called their agreement.

"Now, wait just a minute here" Jack shouted.

"We've stolen nothing, we want nothing. We're explorers, nothing more. Just point us in the right direction and we'll be out of your hair."

The leader thought for a moment.

"It is true we found no gold in your possession, but there is still the matter of the dead servants."

He clapped his hands seeming to come to a decision.

"Bind them. You, Saskat and Riel will remain here to guard them. We must seek the guidance of the Masters."

Before the team could react, they were seized by the men, their hands tightly bound behind their backs and thrown to the ground. O'Neill struggled to get to his feet as he saw one man roughly drag Daniel to his knees, ignoring his cries of pain.

"Leave him" the elder said.

"He is too weak to attempt escape."

The Indian viciously hit Daniel across the side of his head with the handle of his axe. Daniel dropped like a stone, blood from the gash pooling in his hair, turning it dark red. Before any of them could react, the men turned and left, leaving their two guards sitting and watching.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||