THE MÉTIS: Part 4

by:  Lyn
Feedback to:  lyntownsend@hotmail.com



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


"Teal'c, give me a hand here" Jack said. "Wrap one of those sleeping bags around him."

Carter felt for Daniel's carotid pulse.

"It's fairly strong, sir, but rapid. He's losing a lot of blood."

Jack nodded, his eyes never leaving Daniel's pallid features.

"Damn, this is my fault" he shouted. "I should never have walked off and left him on his own."

He slammed his fist into the ground, then took a long, deep breath. Berating his stupidity now was not going to get them out of here, plenty of time for that when they got Daniel back home.

"Get a pressure bandage on that wound, Carter. Teal'c, you and I'll scout around, see if there are any more of these goons about."

Carter nodded and pulled a first aid kit from her backpack. Jack headed right and motioned for Teal'c to go left. Jack moved slowly, alert for the indication of any more guards. He found nothing and could only wonder what the two they had encountered were doing out here on their own.

'The Goa'uld usually hunted in packs' he thought grimly.

By the time he met up with Teal'c and they headed back to Carter and Daniel, dusk was casting deep shadows across the snow and the temperature had dipped alarmingly.


"How's he doing, Carter?" Jack asked, looking down at Daniel's pale face. He was startled when Jackson himself answered quietly.

"I'm okay, Jack, really"

Jack hunched down beside the young man. The pressure bandage appeared to have slowed the bleeding considerably.

"Hey, Daniel, take it easy, we'll have you out of here in no time."

Daniel's deep blue eyes looked at him earnestly, then looked quickly away.

He gave a shallow, shuddering breath and shivered lightly.

"What is it, Daniel? Pain, cold?"

"Sorry, Jack, I'm so sorry" Daniel said quietly.

"This is all my fault. I'm so stupid, so stupid."

He struggled again to sit up, suppressing a groan as the movement jarred his injured leg. Sam placed her hands on his shoulders and tried to gently push him back down.

"Calm down, Daniel. You're going to have that wound bleeding again."

"I don't care" Daniel said, his voice breaking. "I'm such an idiot."

"Daniel" Jack spoke firmly. "This is not your fault. If it's anyone's fault, it's mine. I shouldn't have left you on your own out there."

Daniel flashed him a disgusted look.

"Yeah, Jack! Stupid geek scientist needs a babysitter. Shouldn't be on the team at all. Could have gotten you all killed…"

Daniel's voice was spiraling now into near hysteria and he shivered uncontrollably, his teeth chattering staccato as he forced out the words.

"Daniel, enough. We'll talk about it later."

Jack could see the archaeologist was slipping into shock again.

"Teal'c, we have to get back to the gate."

Teal'c squatted down beside the two men.

"It grows dark quickly, Colonel O'Neill. I do not believe we should attempt the walk back tonight." He looked meaningfully at Daniel. Jack caught the gaze, nodded imperceptibly.

"I saw a small hut when we were searching for more guards. It appeared deserted."

"That'll do it then" Jack smiled, hoping he looked more confident than he felt. He put his hand out to Daniel to assist the injured man with sitting up.

"I'm not up to a five mile hike in the dark myself."

Daniel took the proffered hand but studiously avoided Jack's eyes. Jack sighed and got to his feet. He had to find a way to stop the kid assuming guilt for everything that occurred.

"Okay, kids. Teal'c, how about you take point, you know where this hut is. Carter, watch our backs. I'll give Daniel a hand."

"I'm fine. I can manage" Daniel blurted out, already pulling himself unsteadily to his feet. He closed his eyes as darkness threatened to encroach upon his vision and swayed a little. He felt Jack's arm on his elbow, steadying him.

They moved out, keeping to the cover of the trees, Daniel limping heavily, his breath coming in short, pain filled gasps.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||