THE HUNTING FIELDS: Part 40

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Tel'nat dropped to the floor bonelessly. Thor thought to himself that O'Neill had shown remarkable restraint throughout the situation, he certainly didn't blame the human commander for exacting this small release for the sake of his friend. Thor knew they had more important things to deal with at the moment.

"O'Neill, we must go." O'Neill seemed to shake off his anger and returned to Daniel's side. The young human was failing quickly, Thor knew that without a doubt.

O'Neill glanced up at the unmoving Ancient. "Go how? Him?"

Thor ducked his head a little, there was no time to explain. "Not exactly."

Thor reached again for that part of himself that was connected to his ship and was gratified beyond words to feel it respond. In the space of a breath they were aboard Billiskner. Thor took a moment to feel an immense relief at returning to his home among the stars, before moving to the control console. He was able to locate the rest of SG1 within minutes and transported them immediately, then set a course for Earth before returning to the humans.

They all looked terribly confused. O'Neill and Teal'c were at Daniel's side, while Major Carter had taken possession of the cloak and was searching it with increasing agitation. Thor knew she would not find what she was looking for and that he had a lot of explaining to do, but first...

"Bring Daniel," He ordered with a hand raised to forestall any questioning. O'Neill looked at Thor strangely, but nodded to Teal'c and Connor. Thor led them to the ship's medical facility and directed them to place Daniel beneath the central control unit.

"This device is capable of much healing," Thor explained. "If I were completely healed myself, I could restore Daniel without delay. At the moment that is not possible." Thor activated the unit. Daniel was immediately bathed in a soft blue glow as the machine scanned his still body, seeking the areas of greatest need so that it could begin its work.

O'Neill stepped closer, asking, "Why can't Carter just...?" O'Neill gestured with his hand imitating the use of the healing device.

Thor knew it was time to reveal what he had done. "The healing device was destroyed. By me."


Sam could hardly believe her ears. "What! How could you...?"

Thor looked up. "It was necessary. I assure you."

The colonel just looked expectantly at the little gray alien. Sam knew that the colonel had always had more than a little faith in the Asgard, but something had obviously happened inside that prison to increase that trust.

Thor moved to a low cabinet, pulling out small containers of green liquid which he gave to all of them. "Please drink, it will help restore you."

Sam noticed Teal'c and Connor eyeing the bottles just as suspiciously as she was, but the colonel just removed the cap on his and drank. At the colonel's slightly pleased expression, Sam sighed. If she didn't quite trust the Asgard, she certainly trusted the colonel, so she sipped at her own drink. It really wasn't bad.

Thor checked the readout on the table that held Daniel wrapped in its blue glow and made a minute adjustment before returning to sit before them.

"I had been watching your ordeal from the beginning by holographic transmission. When Tel'nat transported O'Neill and Daniel into the prison, I knew it was only a matter of time before Tel'nat *had* to kill you all. I realized that he had no choice."

Teal'c spoke up quietly from his place at Daniel's side, voicing the theory that had finally resolved itself in his mind. "He feared the Ancient's would return?"

O'Neill looked at the Jaffa curiously.

Sam explained that Teal'c had been working hard to remember a reference to the Ancients as a sort of judicial body. "It seems the original gate builders police those who used their technology."

Thor nodded. "They once did."

The colonel looked confused. "Once did? Then who was Mr. Day-glo down there?"

Thor looked a little uncomfortable. "I used the inner workings of the healing device, along with parts of Tel'nat's holographic projection unit to create the illusion of an Ancient."

The colonel looked at Thor for a long moment, his weary face breaking into the first genuine smile Sam had seen there in a very long time.

"You bluffed." The colonel wasn't asking a question.

Thor nodded.

Sam felt a tension inside of her release as the colonel burst into laughter.

"Thor," he said earnestly, "there's hope for you yet..."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||