THE FIRE INSIDE: Part 6

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net


DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Chapter 6: Sam

I have to admit I was more than a little shocked when the colonel brought up this vacation idea. Two weeks? It's unheard of! True we've been through a lot lately, but we've also been gone from SGC for nearly a month now counting the days the colonel and Daniel spent in the infirmary.

The mathematician in me tries to take over and calculate the hours, but as we round the last bend before reaching General Hammond's cabin, I tell the mathematician to just shut up...I am on vacation.

It's truly a marvelous sight. A lovely A-frame cabin nestled among the firs adjacent to a small lake and all of it overlookig a glorious view of the northern Rockies. I wonder how the General afforded something like this on a military salary?

The Colonel---Jack-- insisted on driving the latest in his long line of Jeep's, this one is in slightly better condition than the last, but unfortunately without any heat. As we'd gotten further into the mountains, I'd pulled some blankets out of the back for me and Daniel.

Since Teal'c had claimed shotgun, as usual, Daniel and I had gotten relegated to the back seat, as usual. Daniel had opened his eyes long enough to thank me with a small smile and then drifted back off to sleep...or wherever it is his mind keeps taking him off to.

This thing has got us all concerned. I saw the looks between Janet and the Colonel that first night in the infirmary and I'm still catching Teal'c on his usual silent guard, not caring if anyone sees him.

I also saw the look in Daniel's eyes when Hathor stood there taunting us in that fake Gate room. It seems to me that Daniel's quietness started then. Several times in those Tok'ra tunnels I looked over at Daniel only to see that glazed, distracted expression that, at the time, I'd chalked up to shock, blood loss and concern for the Colonel. But now I can't shake the feeling that there's a lot more to it than any of us could have guessed.

My thoughts are interrupted as the Colonel pulls to a not-so-gentle stop (he even drives like a flyboy) in front of the cabin. Daniel is jolted awake and stares around him for a moment in confusion before realizing where he is.

I grab our blankets off and notice that Daniel is still shivering even after several hours under them. As the Colonel opens Daniel's door to help him out, I see that he notices it, too.

"C'mon, Danny-boy, let's all get inside before we freeze to death..."

Daniel nods distractedly and climbs out slowly, grabbing for his ever-present bag of books and pulling it over his shoulder, as Jack hands him his crutches off the luggage rack.

Teal'c and I start unloading the rest as the Colonel grabs a couple of bags and walks up the long stairway with Daniel, grumbling as he sorts out the right key.

By the time Teal'c and I stumble in with the rest of our stuff, the Colonel has Daniel firmly planted on one of the ample sofas under a blanket...How he managed that so quickly I'll never know. Daniel's usually so self-reliant and doesn't generally take kindly to Jack's mothering. That he'd submit so readily to it now tells me more about his state of mind than anything else could.

While the Colonel lays a fire, I take the opportunity to check the place out. the cabin is rustic, but with all the modern conveniences unobtrusively added. A high, vaulted ceiling and huge south-facing windows give a feeling of melding with the snow-capped mountains all around us.

The Colonel...being the Colonel (even off duty he can't help taking charge) designates the room assignments; Teal'c and I get the two upstairs bedrooms, he and Daniel get the two downstairs. I can see his reasoning in this, so I only argue a little bit for the sake of my reputation as we carry the bags to their respective destinations.


Back
Back to Stories Page