THE FIRE INSIDE: Part 17

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net


DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Chapter 17: Jack

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes....

There was Daniel doing his Peg-leg Pete imitation beside the lake...the next time I look, he's strolling into the water, not even trying to keep himself from sinking. It was until the third or fourth time he surfaced that he seemed to fight not to drown. It was like he'd been sleepwalking and had finally woken up.

After we get Daniel safely tucked into bed, I spell it all out for Carter and Teal'c their eyes grow wide in shock. I know how they feel. For all that Daniel's been through in the past two years...and believe me it's been a lot...I have never thought of him as being even remotely suicidal.

Sam is so shocked she has to sit down and Teal'c looks...upset. You'd have to know him.

I suggest that we take shifts staying awake...just in case. I want somebody with Daniel tonight. I've got a strange feeling that this thing is, it's about to break.

Teal'c volunteers to take first watch and Carter and I settle down on the sofas, none of us wants to be too far away tonight.

"Do you honestly think he'd try to hurt himself, Sir?" Carter asks in tone of disbelief.

I just shake my head. "Two hours ago I'd've ben sure the answer was 'no'...Daniel's one of the most resilient people I know, look at all the shit he's been through and kept on going, but now?

"I just don't know, Sam."

I can see Carter's scientific mind going to work. That's one of the things I mostly like about Carter; she's 45% scientist, 45% soldier and 10% pure emotional female and sometimes that 10% can put the facts together better than the other 90% put together.

We both lay there mulling it over, but somewhere along the line, I fall asleep.


Back
Back to Stories Page