THE FIRE INSIDE: Part 12

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net


DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Chapter 12: Sam

Daniel looks a little more alert this morning, he's actually stirring around on his own. I heard him call for the colonel last night. I stepped out of my bedroom at just about the same time Teal'c did. We both listened for a moment just to be sure we weren't needed and then silently agreed that Daniel needed his best friend right then, not an audience.

As Daniel hobbles his way to the table on one crutch, trying not to upset the coffee cup in his hand, he gives me a small, hesitant smile and a quiet, "Morning."

He looks like hell, but at least he's making an effort at functioning, which is, I guess, a kind of progress. As he sits there apparently intent on his coffee, I notice the tremor in his hands and the way he's using both of them to steady the cup so he can drink.

Working around the lump in my throat, I decide to take the cheery approach, "So, are you hungry?"

He starts to shake his head, but my hopefulness must be showing and he shrugs. "Maybe...toast?"

Not the best choice in the world, but I'm not arguing. I set to work quickly and put it down in front of him before he can change his mind.

As he picks at the edges of the toast, he asks,"Where's everybody at?"

I smile at that and announce that the colonel is giving Teal'c an Earth-style fishing lesson. Daniel actually smiles back and says quietly, " That's one I've got to see," as he levers himself up, leaving his breakfast practically untouched.

I can't not say it, "Daniel, you have to eat!"

He looks at me with that sweet, little-boy-lost expression which usually makes me just want to kill him, and says, " I just...can't right now...okay?"

I start to protest, but the look does the trick this time and I bite down on it as he limps his way out the door. The last thing he needs right now is another conflict.


Back
Back to Stories Page