THE FIRE INSIDE: Part 11

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net


DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Chapter 11: Jack

Waking up with a start, it takes me a moment to realizethat I actually did hear Daniel's voice. Then I hear it again, a low sad note calling out my name. I'm on my feet before the sound fades.

As I step quietly into Daniel's room, I can see that he's sitting up in the bed, still in his T-shirt and jeans, rocking back and forth with his head down and his arms wrapped around his legs. Even in the dim light, I can see that his hair and his shirt are soaked with sweat.

"Daniel?"

His head shoots up and he looks at me that lost, desperate look I haven't seen since he first realized Shau'ri was gone.

"God, Jack," he breathes. "I'm so close....if only...."

He starts rocking again and I absently rub at his tense, trembling shoulder as I try to draw him out.

"If only what, Danny?"

With his head down like that, it's hard to hear the already small, weak voice, "Remember...."

"Remember what?" I wonder, more confused than ever.

"Have to remember, Jack....don't want to...so close....." He rambles on about 'remembering' and being afraid to, until I finally realize that he's caught up in it...a kind of waking nightmare. I shake him, gently at first, then with a little more force.

"Daniel!"

He literally jumps back, barely catching himself before he can fall off the bed.

"J-jack?"

He looks so completely disoriented that I start to get angry. Angry at him, angry at whatever this is, angry at myself for not being able to help him...

"Christ, Daniel, what the hell is going on?"

He rubs his hands across his face, "I don't know....I don't know...I don't know..." He repeats it like a moan, then looks at me again with eyes blazing and intent. "It's just....I have to remember, Jack....I tried so hard not to ...but I have to, don't you see?"

No..I don't see...what I see is my best friend falling apart in front of me.

But he looks so desperate for me to understand that I nod my head anyway and try to get him to lay back down. He tries to fight it but doesn't have the strength right now to argue with me.

"Can't sleep, Jack" he mumbles as his eyes close. "I have to figure this out...I'm so sorry, Jack..." He trails off repeating that he's sorry until his voice just kind of fades away.

I sit there awhile brushing back the damp...short...hair, hoping it will somehow ease him back into sleep. I can't help but wonder just what it is that he has to remember. And why the thought of remembering it has him so obviously terrified.

God, what a regular nanny goat I'm turning out to be....


Back
Back to Stories Page