THE FIRE INSIDE: Part 1

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net


DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Chapter 1: Janet

SG-1 sure cut it closely this time. Gone for over three weeks, feared dead then reported prisoners of Hathor, the hastily assembled rescue party (so wonderfully willing to go in after their comrades and friends---so many of them gone now), Teal'c's disappearance and later General Hammond's covert personal mission when he could no longer provide support for his stranded teams. They certainly pulled another one out of the fire this time...

As I watch my two unwilling patients and the other two members of SG-1, I sigh deeply in relief. As a military doctor, I knew my job would entail the repair of a lot of damaged bodies. What I never expected was that the bodies damaged the most would become my dearest friends, as well as surrogate aunt and uncles to my adopted daughter, Cassandra.

I have to laugh now at the sight of Colonel Jack O'Neill looking pale and uncomfortable in his standard issue infirmary gown trying to get Teal'c to retell the story of 'threading the needle' and General Hammond's 'Texas battle cry'. while simultaneously trying to keep an eye on my other bed-ridden patient, (who else) Daniel Jackson.

Physically, Daniel is going to be fine; cuts, bruises and of course the deep laceration which required some major stitching on my part, thank you...and provided a plausible reason to keep him in the infirmary. My other reason...and I can see that Jack is aware of it, too...is that ever since their return, Daniel has been far too quiet and more than usually preoccupied. After assuring himself that Jack really was Jack, he seemed to fold in upon himself and had barely responded to anything since.

Sam's brought coffee and is passing it out to everyone. As she leans over to give Jack his, I see the small bandage on her right temple...a bandage they all share. When I was dressing the small circular wounds, Jack had cheerfully joked that now they would all have matching scars...a kind of SG-1 birthmark. Not forgetting for a moment of course how they got those wounds, it seems entirely appropriate that this particular team should have something to signify just how tightly-knit a family they are.

Such an unlikely group to be so close...A wise-cracking, militaristic mother-hen, a tender-hearted, military brat with a Ph.D., an alien warrior with an overly-developed sense of honor and a heart of gold, and a too-intelligent and far too-sensitive-for-his-own-good walking time bomb. Ahh, yes, definitely on a short fuse and ready to go off...

As I look away from the bomb in question, I see Jack staring back at me. His mother-hen instincts are in over-drive. Very little escapes his notice when it comes to Daniel....


Back
Back to Stories Page