Notes:

This is a "what-if" version of the events of TSBS. It deviates from the televised episode in the following ways:

    1. Jim and Blair have been lovers for a few months (from sometime before "The Real Deal")
    2. There are no labor disputes nor any assassins running around shooting people. In fact, things seem pretty slow at the Cascade PD.

There is no action to speak of, just a lot of talking.

The opening of this "script," up to the point where Blair shuts down his computer, is taken directly from the televised episode "The Sentinel: by Blair Sandburg" as transcribed by Becky in her Episodes Transcripts Page, with minor alterations and changes in punctuation.

No animals or spirit guides were harmed in the filming of this episode.


The Sentinel: by Blair Sandburg

by Winds-of-Dawn


~Loft. Day. Blair sits at the table, typing into his laptop.~

Blair: (voiceover) Humanity has long dug into its past in the hope that it will shed light on its future. Perhaps what this reveals is that it is the best of ourselves that will survive and lead us through the next millennium. Watching our every step will be our tribal protectors -- the Sentinels -- and their insight will further illuminate the spiritual connection of all things.

(Blair types the words "The End.")

~Cut to Blair still at table. Naomi comes up behind him, wrapping her arms around him and startling him.~

Naomi: Sweetheart.

Blair: (stands) Mom...

Naomi: Hi, Honey.

Blair: Hi, Mom. What are you doing here?

(They hug.)

Naomi: Oh, I'm visiting my favorite son.

Blair: Your favorite son?

Naomi: Mm-hmm.

Blair: I'm your only son, right?

Naomi: Mm-hmm.

Blair: Mm-hmm.

~Cut to Blair taking a page from a printer.~

Blair: Ma, you should have told me that you were coming. I would have made some tongue. (puts all the pages into a box)

Naomi: I e-mailed you, Sweetheart. There's two messages on your machine.

Blair: When? (closes and locks box)

Naomi: Last night.

Blair: Oh, last night. I had the phone turned off. I was finishing up my paper.

Naomi: Your thesis? Is this your thesis? Is it finished?

Blair: Yes, it's done, but it's just a first draft and it needs a lot of work.

Naomi: Honey, you've always been your own worst critic. I'm sure it's wonderful. Why don't you let me read it. I'll give you some feedback.

Blair: No, no, no, no. It's just not good enough yet. And I want you to be really proud, all right? Just let it be, okay? (shuts down his laptop) Here, let me set up the bed for you. (walks into his room, and starts shoving things off the bed) How long can you stay?

Naomi: (follows Blair and stands in the doorway, watching him) I was thinking about a week, if you don't mind.

Blair: Of course not, you are always welcome here, you know that.

Naomi: How do you end up with so much stuff on your bed? Where do you sleep?

Blair: Uh, Naomi, I have to tell you something...

Naomi: (frowning) What is it, Honey?

Blair: (sits down in the space he has just cleared) Well, I, I haven't been sleeping here.

Naomi: (sits next to Blair) You haven't? Where do you sleep, then?

Blair: Uh. (points upstairs)

Naomi: Upstairs? But that's Jim's room. OH...

(Blair anxiously watches her reaction.)

Naomi: (incredulously) You are sleeping with Jim? Honey, that's... Oh, I don't believe this! Oh. (looks closely at Blair) Are you happy? (Blair nods emphatically) Well, if you are happy that's the important thing, but I would have never thought... I mean, Jim? I would never have thought Jim'll... And you, too, Honey, you were never interested in men, were you?

Blair: No, not really.

Naomi: So, what happened?

Blair: We just realized... that we love each other, I guess. (shrugs)

Naomi: Oh, Blair.

Blair: Mom? You all right with this?

Naomi: Well. If you are happy, that's the important thing, but, oh. This is such a surprise. I mean, when did this happen? Have you told anybody?

Blair: A couple months ago. I thought about telling you, but I thought it would be better to tell you in person...

Naomi: mm-hmm

Blair: And we haven't exactly told anybody. Well, there was this one case that Jim was working on, there was a witness we needed to protect, and he ended up staying here for a few days. We put him in here and I slept upstairs, so I guess he must have figured it out, but he never said anything about it, though.

Naomi: So you aren't being open about your relationship?

Blair: Uh, I don't know, Mom. It's like, whose business is it, anyway? Jim and I, we were very close to begin with, you know? I mean, we've been running around calling each other "partner" and "roommate" all these years. I'm sure there's been more than one person who drew the wrong conclusion. Well, now they'll be right, and that's it.

Naomi: But what about your friends?

Blair: Most of them already know that we are the most important thing in each other's life. That we are sleeping together now doesn't change that. We figure they'll find out, like, when they come over, or when the topic comes up. We just don't feel like going around making announcements. (notes Naomi's concerned expression) Don't worry, Jim's not, like hiding me away or anything. He actually will kiss me sometimes when we are out on the street, you know. (laughs)

Naomi: Really? That's sweet.

~Cut to Jim getting off the elevator and walking down the hallway toward his apartment. He stops in front of his door and fishes out his keys, then stops and cocks his head, listening.~

~Cut back to Naomi and Blair, still talking.~

Naomi: Well, this is a really big surprise, but I am happy for you, Darling.

Blair: Thanks, Mom.

(They hug.)

~Cut to Jim. He rolls his eyes, sighs, and opens the door.~

Jim: (walks over to Blair's room and peeks in) Naomi! What a surprise! When did you get in?

Naomi: Jim! (gets up and gives him a hug) Good to see you! mmmm. You've been working out. Give me another hug.

(Blair coughs.)

Naomi: Honey, I know he's yours. But, mmmm, you sure know how to pick one!

Blair: Mom!

Jim: Naomi, you are not upset?

Naomi: Why should I be? I know you are a good man, and you would be good to my boy, won't you?

Jim: Most certainly.

Naomi: It really is too bad that you couldn't have another job...

Blair: Naomi!

Naomi: Oh, Honey, it's just that I worry about you, and now, I'll worry about Jim, too. Yes, I know, I respect your choices, I won't say another word. So, what are we doing for dinner?

~Cut to Jim, Blair and Naomi sitting at a restaurant.~

Blair: Excuse me. Gotta go wash my hands. (leaves)

Jim: (to Naomi) I'll protect him with my life, you know that, don't you?

Naomi: And he won't do the same for you?

Jim: ....

Naomi: That's what I thought.

Jim: He saved my life, you know, the first day we met. He didn't tell you that? (Naomi shakes her head) That's when I knew I could trust him. He risked his life to save a virtual stranger. He still would. Much as I hate the thought of losing him... I wouldn't change that. Would you?

~Naomi and Jim watch as Blair walks back into the dining room. A small child wandering around stumbles against Blair's leg. Blair catches the child and guides her back to her family's table.~

Naomi: Did I ever tell you about the time, when Blair was three and...

Blair: (coming back to his seat) Mom! What are you telling him now?

~Cut to loft. The upstairs bedroom. Jim is already in bed. Blair comes up the stairs wearing a bathrobe and carrying the box with his thesis inside.~

Jim: Hey, Chief. (pulls Blair onto the bed and kisses him)

Blair: Uh, Jim. Naomi's downstairs.

Jim: We'll be quiet.

Blair: Jim...

Jim: Bite my hand if you need to. I need you.

(Jim slides the bathrobe off Blair and bumps into the box.)

Jim: What's this?

Blair: This... I need to talk to you about this.

Jim: What is it?

Blair: My thesis.

Jim: (startled) Blair?

Blair: I want you to read it, but I need to explain a few things first, ok?

Jim: Okay.

Blair: First, everything's in there. I kept all the names, people, places, everything. This paper, as it is, can't ever get out. It's not just you, man. A lot of people could be hurt, or offended, if this gets out.

Jim: Then why did you do it?

Blair: Because I couldn't get it out otherwise. Typing in Sentinel X, or some other made-up name when talking about you... it just didn't work. This draft, it's just for me... and for you. Now, I want you to read it, and help me figure out what parts we can change to protect you and other people's identities, and what parts we have to leave out completely. And Jim? If... if you decide that none of this can be released, then, that's all right. I understand.

Jim: This is the only print-out? (Blair nods) The file is on your computer? (Blair nods again.) First thing tomorrow we are going to load an encryption program on your machine and scramble it. Any other copies? (Blair shakes his head.) Ok. No backup? Maybe we should make a backup and keep it in the safe deposit box. Well, we'll do that tomorrow. Now, about this... I mean, come on Chief. If you can't release this, then what will you do? (Blair shrugs) You can't get your PhD unless you publish this, right?

Blair: All completed dissertations are supposed to be filed with the University, where theoretically, anybody who wants to can access it. I don't know whether there's any way I can ask them to, like, keep it locked up so nobody will read it. I mean, I could tell them that the subject matter is sensitive, that there's a lot of people involved who don't want to be identified, but, this is an University, not the military. They don't have a system in place to keep things secret, if you know what I mean.

Jim: You mean, even if you work out an arrangement, there's no way to guarantee it will be followed.

Blair: Right. At a minimum, the people on the dissertation committee have to read it. That's five people. They get to have copies, take it home, keep it lying around for, well at least a month, maybe more... I can ask them to be careful, but again, there's no guarantee.

Jim: What will you do if you can't get your PhD, Chief?

Blair: Think Simon can give me a job at the PD?

Jim: What do you want, Blair?

Blair: To stay with you.

Jim: Is that your only goal in life?

Blair: Seems that way, sometimes.

Jim: That's not what you signed up for.

Blair: No, but it's what I want.

Jim: Blair...

Blair: You are the most important thing in my life, Jim. You know that, don't you?

(Jim sets aside the thesis and kisses Blair. Fade out.)

~Morning. Naomi at kitchen table typing into Blair's computer. Jim comes down the stairs~

Jim: Morning, Naomi.

Naomi: Jim! Good morning. Coffee?

Jim: Thanks. No, I'll get it. (waves Naomi back and walks into kitchen)

(Naomi turns back to the computer.)

Jim: Need any help?

Naomi: Oh, I'm just trying to check my e-mail.

Jim: Do you use the web or an e-mail program? (walks over to Naomi and taps some keys over her shoulder) There you go. (he sits down, subtly positioning himself so he can see what Naomi is doing)

Naomi: Jim? Did Blair tell you about his thesis?

Jim: He gave me a copy last night.

Naomi: He did? Have you looked at it?

Jim: Not yet. I'm a little afraid to.

Naomi: Why?

Jim: I don't know. It's... a little intimidating, you know. (he holds up his fingers to indicate the thickness of the thesis)

Naomi: I'll say. I offered to read it, but he wouldn't let me. He says it's not good enough yet.

Jim: Well, there's a lot of sensitive stuff in it.

Naomi: Sensitive?

Jim: Cases we worked on, people we know. A lot of police work is, well, people make mistakes, you know. Many times they deserve a second chance.

Naomi: What are you saying?

Jim: There's a lot of stuff that don't make it into official police reports, that don't, and shouldn't, go into the public record.

Naomi: And Blair wrote about that.

Jim: He may have. He's not sure. That's why he wants me to read it. So we can decide, together, what can stay and what needs to be left out.

Naomi: What if there isn't anything that can stay?

Jim: That's what I said.

Naomi: And?

Jim: I don't know.

Naomi: I didn't know he was working with such sensitive material.

Jim: All police work is sensitive, Naomi. It's about protecting people, sometimes even from their own stupidity.

Naomi: You won't keep him from turning in his thesis, would you?

Jim: It's his decision.

Naomi: But...

Jim: He knows me, he knows the reasons why I do what I do. What he does, well...

Naomi: He does what you want him to.

Jim: Maybe, but that's his choice, isn't it?

(Blair stumbles down the stairs, looking barely awake.)

Blair: Hi, what's up? Something wrong?

Jim: No, everything is fine. Coffee?

Blair: Yeah, thanks. (takes Jim's cup and gulps down the coffee)

~Mid-day. Naomi sitting in the loft by herself, trying to meditate. She gives up and starts pacing.~

~Shot of Jim and Blair sitting in a room in the PD, encrypting Blair's files.~

~Cut to Naomi in the loft, talking on the phone to a friend (Ann)~

Naomi: Yes, Jim is a good man. He's a very honorable person. He believes in what he does, and he does it well. It's just that he has this, tremendous influence on Blair. I mean, Blair would literally follow him through a hail of bullets. No, I'm serious! They had a shoot-out and Blair was right there! And he knows it! He flaunts it!

Ann: Well, if that's Blair's choice...

Naomi: Blair loves this man. That's, that's fine. I understand that. But he follows him everywhere. He puts himself into dangerous situations to help him. And he told me that he was doing this for his thesis. But now they tell me that he might not have a thesis. I ask you, what's going on here?

Ann: Are you saying he's using him?

Naomi: No, Jim doesn't use people.

Ann: Then what?

Naomi: I don't know. I mean, to love somebody is one thing, but to give up your career for him? Your dreams? Blair always loved books, loved to meet people, to go to new places, anthropology was his dream. It's not just a superficial part of him. But he's willing to give that up for Jim? And what's worse, Jim is willing to let him do that? Is that what you do to someone you love?

Ann: Naomi, I don't know what to tell you. I don't know Jim, and I haven't seen Blair in a while. But I can't see Blair ever compromising himself for anybody or anything. Are you saying that's what's happening?

Naomi: I don't know, Ann, I don't know. I mean, that's what I always thought about Blair myself, you know, that he knows himself. Knows what he wants.

Ann: So what if what he wants is Jim?

Naomi: How can you base yourself on another person, no matter how good a person he may be? You can't. You shouldn't.

Ann: Have you talked to Blair about this?

Naomi: Not yet. I should.

Ann: Well, if you need to talk, I'm here.

Naomi: Thank you, Ann.

Ann: Blair always was a pure spirit, Naomi. Trust in that, ok?

Naomi: Yes, Ann. Bye. (hangs up)

Blair: (walks into the loft) Mom! I tried to call, but the phone was busy. Well, I'm all yours for the afternoon. Want to go anywhere?

Naomi: Honey, we need to talk.

~Cut to Jim, sitting in the PD, reading Blair's thesis.~

~Cut back to loft. Naomi sitting on the sofa, Blair pacing.~

Blair: Naomi, I understand your concerns, and... I'm not sure what I can say to allay them.

Naomi: You don't think basing your life on what Jim wants is unhealthy?

Blair: It's not what Jim wants. I've often made Jim do things that he didn't want to do at first, that he wanted to do his way, and we end up doing it my way. Well, not my way, exactly, but another way, something that I thought up. Or we'll do it one way, then the other, then another, until something works. See, it's not what Jim can do, or what I can do, but what we can do together. That's what's important.

Naomi: That you work together?

Blair: Yes. We are a team, Jim and I. He helps me, I help him. I learn from him, he learns from me. It's a partnership. And that's what I want. To be a part of that.

Naomi: But Honey, what about your dreams? Anthropology? Going places, meeting people? Teaching?

Blair: Dreams change, Mom. People change. I guess, you could say, I've gone native. It's not approved of, of course, in academia. From their perspective, it's a failure. You've lost your objectivity. But just think, being a good scientist, a good researcher, isn't necessarily the same as being a good human being. I think about all the people I know who's "gone native." And some of them, I think, might have been just lazy, you know, taken the easy way out. But others, I'm sure, did it out of a real, deep-seated conviction that the life followed by the people they'd set out to study was the better path. You can never tell which is which unless you intimately know the people involved.

Naomi: So are you saying that for you, this is the better path?

Blair: Yes. Yes, I am. I mean, I still love teaching, research, being part of the University. If I can do that and work with Jim at the same time, I'll like that. But if I can't, then my choice is made.

~Cut to Jim, sitting in the bullpen, cradling Blair's thesis in his arms. He gets up and walks into Simon's office.~

Jim: Simon, I need to talk to you. (drops thesis on Simon's desk)

~Cut to loft. Pan over Naomi meditating in the living room, to Blair standing on the balcony, looking out.~

~Cut back to Simon's office. Simon reading through the thesis, Jim slumped in a chair in front of Simon's desk.~

Simon: That kid really adores you, huh?

Jim: Simon, what am I going to do?

Simon: Marry him?

Jim: I would if I could. (Simon is startled) That's not the problem. It's that. (indicating thesis) I can't let him bury that.

Simon: But if this becomes public...

Jim: My senses will be public. I, I can't begin to imagine how that will affect my work.

Simon: At the least, we will get a lot of flak from the brass for keeping this from them.

Jim: Not to mention defense lawyers crawling out of the woods to cry that their client's rights have been violated because I saw or heard or sniffed out something I shouldn't have.

Simon: What about the military or the CIA being interested in your abilities?

Jim: Actually the best defense against that is widespread publicity. If it's out in the open, there's no point in hiding it, ergo, if they want to do any experiments on me, they'll approach me openly.

Simon: And you could refuse?

Jim: Last time I checked, being a freak was not grounds for having your constitutional rights suspended.

Simon: Jim, you're not a freak.

Jim: Not to you, and not to Blair. But anybody else... See, they wouldn't understand it. Even Megan...

Simon: She giving you any problems?

Jim: Not exactly. It's just that she's curious. And that sometimes makes me feel like a circus animal doing tricks.

Simon: And Sandburg doesn't make you feel that way?

Jim: Well, now that you mention it... I can see him, in the ring, with a whip, making the tiger jump through hoops.

(They both laugh.)

Jim: But well, there's so much other things going on between us, that... I mean, I sometimes feel like he's some kind of a puppy, following me around and jumping at my every word... So, what I mean is, we are even, you know?

Simon: I stopped trying to figure you two out a long time ago. (pause) You meant that, about marrying him, didn't you? (Jim nods) Does he know?

Jim: Yes, Simon, he does.

Simon: And?

Jim: (shrugs) He'll probably marry me, if he could.

Simon: Aaah.

Jim: Problem?

Simon: You two always manage to exceed my wildest expectations.

Jim: Sorry.

Simon: No, don't be. (flips through thesis) But this sure does complicate things, doesn't it?

Jim: In some ways. In some ways things have been a lot simpler.

Simon: Like?

Jim: We communicate better. Trust each other more. And I have him for myself. I didn't realize how much I wanted that until I had it.

Simon: Uh?

Jim: I used to waste a lot of time being mad and not knowing why.

Simon: How long?

Jim: Don't know. Seems like forever.

Simon: Well, I can't say I understand it. Actually, I'm afraid to say this, but I do understand it. Almost. Ah, I've been around Sandburg too long. By the way, what does he say about this? (indicates thesis)

Jim: He pretty much left it up to me.

Simon: Ouch.

Jim: Yeah.

Simon: Want to go out for a drink?

Jim: Naomi is here. Care to join us for dinner?

Simon: Need reinforcements?

Jim: Definitely.

Simon: I'm your man.

(They get up, gather their stuff, and leave.)

~Cut to loft. Blair and Naomi are in the kitchen, preparing dinner. Jim and Simon walk in the door.~

Blair: Simon! Glad you could join us.

Simon: Thanks for having me. Ms. Sandburg. Nice to see you.

Naomi: Captain Banks. How have you been?

Jim: I'm just going to go put this stuff upstairs. (signals to Blair that he should follow him) Be just a minute.

(Jim and Blair go upstairs, leaving Naomi and Simon chatting in the living room.)

Jim: I showed this (the thesis) to Simon. I also told him about us. He thinks maybe we should let Naomi in on the Sentinel thing.

Blair: (glances nervously downstairs) I had a talk with Naomi this afternoon.

Jim: And?

Blair: She had some concerns. I think I managed to assure her that, uh, I'm all right.

Jim: We need to talk about this. (taps thesis) Do you think having Naomi in on the discussion will be helpful?

Blair: I don't know. She's my mom. Her first concern is about me, and uh, we need more objectivity here, not less.

Jim: Which is why I brought Simon in. Well, we'll see how it goes. You don't have any actual objections to her knowing, do you?

Blair: No. It might, actually, help her accept us better. But, it's got to be what you feel comfortable with, you know.

Jim: Right. I appreciate this, you know.

Blair: You are the one who has to live with it.

Jim: Like you don't?

Blair: At least, I had a choice, didn't I?

Jim: Actually, I did, too.

Blair: You did? And?

Jim: I chose you. (kisses Blair) Let's go.

(They go downstairs. Naomi and Simon are in the kitchen, where Simon is tasting some food.)

Simon: Mmmm. This is good. Blair! Is this how you learned to cook?

Blair: Naomi is the first of many great cooks who taught me how to cook, Simon.

Jim: Sorry to keep you waiting. Is everything ready?

Naomi: You bet.

~Later. Everyone is sitting around the table, finishing up dinner.~

Simon: Well, I hate to bring up business, but Blair? The PD is planning to create a position for a paid consultant, part-time. Interested?

Blair: Really? (Simon nods) Will I have to do anything different from what I've been doing?

Simon: Well, you might be requested to assist other departments from time to time, but I'll make sure to send Jim with you. Can't let a civilian into potentially dangerous situations without proper backup, can we? (stares at Jim, who looks sheepish)

Blair: Wow, that sounds great! Jim? (Jim nods) Yes! I finally get paid!

Naomi: That's very nice of you to do this, Captain Banks.

Simon: Oh, Ms. Sandburg. Let me assure you, I'm not doing this for any altruistic reason. I just want to make sure my best team stays intact. If I were really concerned for Blair's welfare, I'll tell him to go ahead and publish his thesis.

Blair: Simon?

Simon: I only read the introduction and skimmed through the rest, but it's a great book you got there. It's intelligent, thoughtful, gripping, and passionate. You have a brilliant mind and an emphatic soul, Blair. It shows. Nobody will be able to read that and not be drawn into it. That said, I have to agree with Jim that there's no way we can change it enough so that we will be able to protect Jim's identity. In fact, Jim thinks that if you publish it at all, it will be better NOT to try to cover his identity. Right Jim?

Naomi: Protect Jim? I thought you were worried about the people who were involved in the cases?

Jim: Sorry, Naomi. Bit of an obfuscation.

Simon: It is true that we are concerned about shielding individual identities, but that's not too difficult. It's a matter of changing some names and details. The totality of the cases, however, makes it likely that if this is made public, somebody will put all the pieces together and identify Jim...

Naomi: But what's so special about Jim? Why must you hide him?

Jim: CIA, covert ops, foreign governments, any number of terrorist or criminal groups looking for an advantage...

Simon: Aside from this foray into paranoia and conspiracy theories, having Jim's abilities go public will seriously compromise his capacity to function as a working member of the Cascade PD. Or any other police department, for that matter. And again, if you publish this, it is probably better to just go ahead and release Jim's identity, rather than try to hide it and be blindsided by somebody piecing it together.

Naomi: What abilities?

Jim: Maybe you better just let her read your paper, Chief.

Blair: Are you sure?

Jim: Yes. I think it will show her how you have loved me, how you guided me all these years, how you cared for me.

Blair: You take care of me, too.

Jim: I know. But most of what Naomi sees is me putting you in danger, isn't it?

Blair: Well, in that case, showing her the paper might be counterproductive, man. There's even more of me being in danger. Intentionally or not.

(Jim and Simon laugh.)

Simon: Be that as it may, if you want your mother, or anybody else, for that matter, to understand what you and Jim are about, I can't think of a better way than for them to read that paper.

Blair: Okay. I'll give it to Naomi, and run like hell. (everybody laughs) So, the verdict, I take it, is I can't submit the paper?

Jim: No, it's up to you.

Blair: But I thought you said...

Jim: We said if you submit it, you should reveal my identity, because the best protection I'll have is to be in the open. In which case I better resign from the PD immediately, before the shit hits the fan and pulls down Simon and god knows who else.

Blair: But nobody else knows...

Jim: Wrong. At least one other person, we won't mention any names, knows. And IA is going to want to investigate everybody who might have known, even if they didn't. The potential for disruption is enormous.

Naomi: All this sounds so paranoid.

Simon: Trust me, there's good reason for it. Maybe we should wrap this up and let your mother read the paper?

Blair: I think we should finish this conversation.

Naomi: Fine. I'll wait.

Blair: Jim, you can't be serious about resigning from the PD.

Jim: I will if you want.

Blair: And what will you do? I mean, there's a lot of things you can do for a living, we've joked about that enough, but being a detective is who you are, man. What you were meant to be.

Jim: I know that. But what about you, Chief? I feel like, like I'm holding a diamond, the most beautiful, precious jewel in the world, and hiding it away instead of sharing it with the world, like it should be.

Blair: I'm not like that.

Jim: Yes you are.

Blair: Well, in a way, I feel a little bit like that about you, too, man. I feel like holding you up to the world so they can see how wonderful you are, not because of your senses, but because of how you use them. What you use them for. You could use them for evil, like Alex, but you don't. You use them to help other people. And I know it's not always easy for you to live with your senses. I know you've often wished for them to go away, and with good reason. But in the end, you always come through.

Jim: That's because you drag me along, Chief, kicking and screaming.

Blair: I couldn't really drag you anywhere unless you let me. (Jim smiles) I'd like to tell the world what a wonderful man you are, of the demons you have had to fight to be who you are, tell them of your faults and your scars and your pains and your fears and how it awes me to see that despite all that you still manage to believe there's good in the world, and to fight for it. But that would be like putting a wild animal in a cage and putting it in a zoo, wouldn't it? People would be able to see it, but it wouldn't be really alive. Better to leave it in its native environment, where few would ever glimpse it, but it would be free and alive and doing what it does best. And it is my privilege to be the one who...

Jim: ...tamed the wild beast and trained it to do your bidding?

Blair: Be at your side and help you in your fights?

(Jim and Blair fall into each other's arms. Naomi and Simon discreetly step out into the balcony.)

Naomi: I don't understand.

Simon: I'm not sure I understand completely, either.

Naomi: What was that Blair was saying about Jim's senses?

Simon: Well, it's all in Blair's paper, and he explains it better than I can. Let me just say that it's what brought them together in the first place, and it's why Blair's been working with Jim all these years.

Naomi: Am I really going to be upset with what's in this paper?

Simon: Well, yes. Blair's had a lot of close calls over the years, most of which I'm sure he hasn't told you about.

Naomi: Do you have children, Captain Banks?

Simon: I have a son. And he's in there, too, somewhere. Blair has helped saved his life, and mine, a few times.

Naomi: He has?

Simon: Yes. As terrifying as it is for you as a parent to think of your child putting himself into danger, and believe me, I know the feeling, please understand that what Blair does, he does because he believes in trying to help other people, just as Jim does. And it is terrifying. I mean, my son is thinking of becoming a police officer. And to tell you the truth, I'd rather he didn't.

Naomi: Really.

Simon: Yes, I'm petrified. I'd rather see my son be a cooperative executive, stealing millions off the back of the working masses, than see him buried because he was trying to save a little girl from getting run over a car or something, you know.

Naomi: Yes. I know.

(Blair comes out onto the balcony with his thesis.)

Blair: Mom. (hands her the thesis, and hugs her) I love you.

Naomi: Oh, Sweetie. I love you too. So much.

Simon: I'd like to finish reading that, if I may.

Blair: I'll make you a copy, but you have to burn it when you are done.

Naomi: Oh, Blair.

Blair: Sorry, too dangerous.

Simon: You aren't going to destroy all copies, are you?

Blair: We'll keep a backup copy in a safe box. Maybe someday...

Naomi: When Jim retires?

Simon: By that time, Blair'll have enough stories to fill several books.

Jim: (peeking out from the door) Coffee, anybody?

Simon: Sounds good.

~Everybody files back into the loft, leaving an empty balcony.~


Back to Index