Paving Stones
by Clarence


Archive: master_apprentice, SWAL
Archive Date: March 13, 2000
Category: Angst, Drama, Action/Adventure
Disclaimer: Nothing belongs to me
Feedback: Yes please, any comments (good, bad or indifferent) are very welcome.
Notes: Thanks to Lexin for the Beta.
Pairing: O/Bruck, O/Q (effectively)
Rating: R
Series: Part of the 'Good Intentions on the road to Hell' Series. Which tells the story of Anakin's fall to the Dark Side running from before TPM to after RotJ.
Chronological order: 'Re-affirming the Bond', 'Anniversaries and Beginnings', 'Not so Unobtainable After All', 'Paving Stones', 'Building a Brave New World' (coming eventually), 'A Change of Heart', 'A Present from the Past' (in progress).
Summary: Set after the Clone Wars, 13 year after TPM. Anakin deals badly with the new man in Obi-Wan's life and turns to Supreme Chancellor Palpatine for advice and help. Obi-Wan is worried that the Jedi are becoming complacent and finally consummates his relationship with Qui-Gon (but not in a good way)
Warnings: This is a dark story that deals with Anakin's fall to the Dark Side and is due to get darker in the next part. Be warned, nasty things happen to the characters. If this is likely to upset you then do not proceed further.
Follows canon, m/m, rough but not explicit sex, no happy endings, very mild implication of underage sex, plus several other things that could upset but would be considered spoilers.


The Story So Far:
Anakin, suffering from unrequited love for his Master, discovers that Obi-Wan is still in love with the long dead Qui-Gon. Eventually Anakin thinks he has accepted that he will never have Obi-Wan and marries Amidala. All goes well until he sees Obi-Wan in the arms of another Jedi and finds out that Amidala is also in love with Obi-Wan.


"This is either the vilest or the noblest thing I have ever done." Anakin thought as he walked through the corridors of the Jedi Temple. He was desperate to not look suspicious but, as he was nervous, sweaty and was sure everyone could read the unsuitable thoughts ricocheting around in his head, he felt incredibly conspicuous.

"Oh, why didn't I just go on the museum trip with Vax?" Anakin thought as he nodded to yet another passing Padawan and desperately tried to keep calm.

"Everything is going to be fine," he thought. "You're just doing a little research and, despite appearances, it's all for the best possible motives." This reassuring thought did nothing to ease his state of constant fear that he was about to be caught and dragged before the Council at any moment. He also couldn't decide what scared him more; having his desires exposed before the Council or having to explain himself to his Master afterwards?

Fortunately for Anakin, the corridors of the Jedi Temple are not infinite and he finally arrived at his destination. He checked the corridor carefully, opened the door and entered. Inside Anakin paused and looked around. It was one of the specialised training rooms that he hadn't been in before, larger than most with seating for small events as well as targets set up on one of the walls.

Anakin smiled, it was perfect for his purpose. At last he could believe that his plan to defeat the threat to his Master would actually work.

The danger had started on Naboo, but yesterday had shown how advanced the problem was. For Obi-Wan had declared today a holiday and initially Anakin had been delighted; they were currently preparing for the type of mission that Anakin hated. It was the type that involved wasting a great deal of time studying boring protocol. All merely to prevent the wrong word, or something equally pathetic, causing offence on a backward world that didn't matter anyway. He and Obi-Wan seemed to get more than their fair share of these and Anakin suspected Obi-Wan asked for them deliberately; most likely in an attempt to increase Anakin's tolerance for such work. So far the tactic had failed miserably.

Unfortunately Anakin's delight had lasted until the moment his Master had said that he was going to spend the next day in this particular training room with Bruck.

Bruck! Anakin had just managed to suppress his jealousy. Once again he was being denied his Master's company and all because of Bruck. Someone he didn't trust and who, he was sure, meant his Master harm. All he needed was some evidence. And if Anakin had to sneak around like a thief to get it, then so be it.

Resolved, Anakin looked for a place where he could safely watch the training area unobserved. He quickly found a spot in the seating stand and settled down. It was not an easy task, he was tall and broad and there was little room between the seats. Finally satisfied with his vantage point he then hid his presence in the Force. It was one of the Jedi skills that he excelled at. Nobody would notice him unless they were deliberately looking for him. Now all he had to do was calm himself and his body so he could remain motionless for as long as necessary.

Ready at last he settled down to wait. Inevitably his thoughts turned to the first time that his suspicions concerning Bruck had been aroused. Initially he had just been shocked at seeing his Master in another man's arms. Then he'd discovered his wife's desire for Obi-Wan as well; it had nearly ended their marriage. Anakin remembered the aftermath well.

"So what do you want to do?" Anakin had asked Amidala when they had been alone.

"Do you love me Anakin?" Amidala had said as she had looked out of the windows of her apartments.

"Of course, but do you love me?"

"I do, but we both love someone else more." Anakin had nodded at his wife's statement.

"I never realised it was possible to have too much in common in a marriage." Amidala had said wryly as she turned back to face Anakin. "However, I think we care enough to make this marriage last more than four weeks. Do you agree?"

"It's not as if he's available anyway." Anakin had said taking her in his arms.

"We could always try to seduce him together seeing as we have obviously failed to succeed separately." Amidala had joked but neither of them had found it funny.

No, it hadn't been until the reception that his concerns had begun to surface. He and Amidala had considered cancelling the reception but if they wanted to make a life together, then they had better start immediately. At first the reception hadn't been as bad as Anakin had feared. It had been merely difficult and painful. Amidala had been wonderful, Anakin had admired her so and she had inspired him to do his best.

They had even borne Obi-Wan's congratulations and delight in seeing them. Holding tightly to each other's hands they had drawn strength from their mutual distress. Fortunately he'd been alone at the time and that had made it bearable.

It was later that Anakin had first become worried. He'd been wandering round the ballroom accepting congratulations, but actually trying to find the mysterious Jedi who had caused such misery. Finally he'd found him. He had been among a group of Jedi gathered in the gardens and he'd used all his skills to approach them while they remained unawares.

"... Yoda," Bruck had said "as this is certainly no advert for Jedi decorum. What would the Council say if I reported that every Jedi I've met recently has turned into a giggling terminal gossip?"

"Don't expect protection from the Council, Bruck," Knight Aalto had said. "They're awaiting updates like the rest of us."

Bruck had sighed noisily.

"Come on Bruck we know most of the story," Aalto continued. "We were all initiates together but you and Obi-Wan hated each other. Then you met after you both became Padawans and overcame your previous feelings and became lovers. This is all old gossip."

"So what happened? We're not going to give up you know," said Vax Holser, Padawan to Knight Aalto and a friend of Anakin's.

"Look you are going to have to stop this nonsense. Obi-Wan is going to notice Jedi giggling in corners. And if anyone else asks me if the Council sent me on a mission to seduce him, and stop him doing something stupid after Anakin Skywalker is knighted, then I'm leaving."

"Yeah that would be such a terrible mission to have to accept." Aalto had said laughingly.

"So how did you persuade him? Better men..." Knight Reeft had said.

"And women," Vax had interrupted.

"And women," Reeft had continued. "Have failed."

Bruck had looked particularly unamused and the laughter had died down.

"Okay I'm going to say this only once. Yes, we had a relationship way back when. But then I started going on missions with my Master and after that I was sent to the Rim, so we were never in the same place at the same time. And although we've kept in touch, before last month, I hadn't seen him since long before Qui-Gon was killed."

At the mention of Qui-Gon the atmosphere had become a little more serious.

"This is just two old friends having a good time." Bruck had continued. "We have no long term plans and I'm not trying to replace anyone. Is that clear enough?"

So Bruck was just after a good time. Anakin knew his Master well and feared that this affair could only end badly for him. Suddenly Anakin's reminiscences were interrupted by the arrival of the objects of his thoughts.

"... for a change." said Obi-Wan as he entered carrying a case. He walked over to the edge of the training area and put the case down.

"I knew I shouldn't have left it to you to organise our day off." Bruck replied as he also entered. "You've never really understood the concept of relaxation."

Anakin watched as Obi-Wan briefly looked up from the case to smile at Bruck.

"Don't let me keep you here, if you have something more interesting to do," he said.

"Obi-Wan Kenobi you will be then end of me." Bruck leaned over the case to brush Obi-Wan lips with his thumb, fingers cradling Obi-Wan's chin. "Yes, I would rather spend my day practising with blasters with you, than doing anything else with anybody else." Bruck straightened. "But don't let it go to your head."

"Here," Obi-Wan said, handing a blaster to Bruck as he stood up.

Anakin watched as the two Jedi prepared themselves to aim the blasters at the far target. Despite himself Anakin was fascinated. He'd often been told that it was possible to affect blaster fire with the Force, but it required great concentration and was definitely an advanced skill. He hadn't seen it performed before as it was always easier to use a Lightsabre to deflect the blasts. However, the skill had definite uses. It could greatly increase the range, accuracy and spread of the weapon. It was even possible to fire round corners.

The two Jedi stood opposite two of the targets on the far wall, about twenty-five meters away. Obi-Wan looked towards the door and Anakin heard it locking. That was standard practise to prevent interruptions and accidents caused by a stray blaster bolts.

Both the Jedi fired. Obi-Wan's shot expanded to cover the entire target while Bruck's compressed to a pinprick and hit the absolute centre of the target.

"I wish Anakin liked me more." Bruck said suddenly.

Obi-Wan looked over quickly, causing his next shot to go wild. Anakin perked up. Was Bruck was trying to turn his Master against him? This he could use.

"Are you saying he's rude to you?"

"No, not that. He's just a little stand-offish."

"Have you argued?" Obi-Wan said suspiciously.

"Obi-Wan, I am not so insane as to try to come between you and your apprentice." Bruck said defensively. "I just have a feeling he's uncomfortable when I'm around and I don't want to be the cause of any friction between you. I'm fully aware how that would end." he added sadly, looking back towards his target.

Obi-Wan looked a slightly reassured.

'Don't be fooled Master,' Anakin thought. 'He's up to no good.'

The two Jedi had turned their attention back to their practice. Obi-Wan now turned to face the opposite wall from the target, appeared to concentrate and fired. Anakin ducked as the blaster bolt veered above his head and tore round the room to hit just above Obi-Wan's target. Obi-Wan turned to look at his handiwork.

"What do you think of the Chancellor?" Obi-Wan asked thoughtfully.

"He seems reasonable enough for a politician I suppose." Bruck said lowering his blaster. "Why don't you like him?"

Anakin was also very interested in the reply. 'How could anyone not like Chancellor Palpatine?' he thought.

"I've barely met him, which is a little strange as Anakin spends so much time with him. What does the Council think of him?"

"They think well enough of him when they think of him at all."

Obi-Wan turned to face his friend. "Don't you think that is a little unwise considering that it's the Chancellor's office that decides a large number of the missions that we are sent on?"

"It's a system that has worked for a few thousand years. I don't have a problem with it"

"I have a bad feeling about this and nobody seems to be taking my concerns seriously." Obi-Wan said fiddling with his blaster. "We may have been the victors in the Clone Wars but many of the men that fought against us have never been accounted for. I'm talking about desperate men here. There could be an army just waiting to find a cause."

"Why don't you do something about it on your own."

"I've made inquiries. Tried to track some of the soldiers down, but I'm reluctant to do too much without the Council's approval."

"Obi-Wan you may have changed, but sometimes you're almost as rule bound as you always were." Bruck said as he shook his head and smiled at his companion.

Obi-Wan shrugged, turned back to the targets and lifted his blaster again.

Anakin very carefully shifted to get a better view of the two Jedi. Bruck was looking intently at his blaster. After a little while he looked towards the door and then at Obi-Wan, who was still absorbed in manipulating the blaster beam. Bruck then put his blaster back in the case and advanced on Obi-Wan.

"Obi-Wan?" Bruck said in a light, teasing tone.

"Hmm?" Obi-Wan replied, concentrating on the blaster. His blaster was pointed at his own target but when he fired the bolt hit the middle of Bruck's.

Bruck prowled closer and Obi-Wan looked over at him. "I think you have mastered this technique and it is time to practice something else." Bruck said as he took the blaster from Obi-Wan and threw it over his shoulder.

"Like what?" Obi-Wan said nervously as he backed away towards the nearest wall.

"Oh, I have a few very interesting ideas I'm very keen to share with you."

Obi-Wan was now flat against the wall and could retreat no further. Bruck seeing his opportunity pressed forward and leant against the wall, his arms either side of his prey. He grinned ferally.

"Bruck this is a training room." Obi-Wan said desperately.

"Yes and it's a private one that we have booked out so nobody should disturb us." Bruck lowered one arm to very gently unbuckle Obi-Wan's belt. "Bruck!" Obi-Wan said sharply and he pressed himself harder against the wall behind him, but he made no move to help or hinder the other man.

"It won't be the first time," Bruck said soothingly. "Don't you remember the last time we misused a training room?"

"We were sixteen!" Obi-Wan said as Bruck dropped the belt to the floor.

"So now, after all the intervening years of training, we should be much better, and we were pretty good at the time." Bruck said as he started to remove Obi-Wan's sash.

"It's been so long." Obi-Wan said nervously, hands pressed to the wall as he tried to meld with the masonry, and the sash joined the belt on the floor.

"I'm sure you can remember what to do," Bruck said, pausing in his work to smile at his prey. "If not I'll be here to remind you."

Anakin watched, mouth open in surprise, as Bruck slowly and carefully undressed his Master. Each layer was reverently removed and put aside. Bruck laying tender kisses on skin as it was exposed. Eventually Obi-Wan nervously started to return the favour and Bruck assisted in every way he could. The Padawan found himself unable to look away as Bruck gently pulled a naked Obi-Wan down on top of him on the training mat and watched, with an aching heart, their gentle kisses.

"There's no rush Obi-Wan," Anakin heard Bruck whisper, "We have all day, all week, or as long as you need."

Anakin watched as his Master slowly became less tentative in his exploration of the body beneath him and, at last, he could watch no more. He slipped down further behind the seat, and put his hands over his eyes leaving only the sounds to guide his imagination. But the pictures in his mind were more vivid than reality ever could be, but his arms and legs had turned to water and he could not move and was forced to endure the torture.

As promised the lovers took their time and Anakin suffered through the slow build of sound and movement. Time passed and he was numb with cramp before he heard their cries of release. His Master's shout carried no name; Anakin suspected Bruck was relieved, but he himself was not. He had wanted his own name to be called out across the room in the peak of passion.

Then only slowly calming breathing could be heard, followed by silence. After a long time there was a whispered conversation and a rustling of material, the sound of footsteps and of a object being lifted and, slightly later, an opening and closing of the door. Eventually Anakin managed to stand, the pain in his body nothing compared to the pain in his heart. Head bowed he also made for the door.

"I cannot go on like this," he said to the empty room. The room remained silent, after all it was just a thing of masonry and plaster and, although it had seen much, it had no wisdom to offer the troubled apprentice.


It was much later by the time Anakin had managed to compose himself enough to return to the quarters he shared with his Master. Obi-Wan was there, he was sitting on the couch in the common area, talking to Bruck. He looked very happy. Anakin suppressed his feelings

"Master, may I go and see my mother?" Anakin asked without preamble.

"Of course," Obi-Wan said then looked at Bruck and considered something before continuing. "In fact, I will go with you to the Senate. I need to go there myself." He stood and Bruck, after a slight hesitation, followed.

"I'll see you later Obi-Wan." Bruck said. "Good to see you Anakin." He added as he left. They didn't kiss.

'They never kiss,' Anakin thought, 'when they think I'm watching.'

Obi-Wan was obviously distracted as they walked in silence through the Temple to the platform of the regular Senate transport.

"How is your mother, Anakin?" he asked finally.

"She's well."

"I wish we could have got her off Tattoine earlier."

"I'm just grateful we got her off at all."

"Is she still enjoying working as a secretary for Chancellor Palpatine?"

"Yes." Anakin wondered when his Master would get to the point. "It was good of him to offer her the post."

"I think Amidala persuaded him."

"Yes."

They had arrived at the platform. Obi-Wan let out a breath. This small talk had not eased the sudden tension between them. They stood for a little looking up at the many lines of air traffic. The shuttle arrived and they boarded. It was fairly empty and Obi-Wan gestured to some seats away from the other passengers.

"Anakin," Obi-Wan ventured as they sat down. "Bruck is not a threat to you. You are my apprentice and my friend and are quite irreplaceable. You do not have to compete with him for my attention. "

'Typical,' Anakin thought as he watched the city pass beneath them. 'He believes I think that our training bond is in danger. He's incapable of seeing my jealousy for what it is.'

Finally the shuttle arrived at the Senate building, the two Jedi got off and stood on the landing platform. Both seemed unwilling to end the conversation there.

"I'm sorry Master if I have offended." Anakin said trying to dispel the awkwardness.

"You haven't offended, Anakin. I just don't like to see you uncomfortable."

"I don't think you are going to neglect me because of Bruck, Master."

"Then what is bothering you?"

"I'm just nervous about my upcoming Trials and that I don't get to see Amidala enough."

Obi-Wan considered his words, obviously doubtful, but he seemed to decide that this was neither the time or the place to pursue it.

"Very well, Anakin. We'll talk later." Obi-Wan said. "I suppose you'll be visiting Chancellor Palpatine after you see your mother?"

"I've made an appointment to see him."

"Well give your mother my regards."


Above the platform and inside the Senate buildings, Supreme Chancellor Palpatine watched Obi-Wan and Anakin separate on the landing platform through electro-binoculars from his balcony.

Palpatine watched the Knight walk away, appreciating Kenobi's attractiveness and seductive walk. It was easy to see why Anakin was so smitten. If Kenobi were 25 or so years younger Palpatine himself would have been tempted. However, he preferred it this way. Kenobi was perfect for his plans as he was.

In Kenobi, Palpatine had found the perfect tool to deliver Anakin into his hands. It was also the fitting revenge for the death of Darth Maul. Not that revenge drove Palpatine, oh no, for that showed poor planning, but it was always satisfying to include it into a scheme without it hindering the idea's effectiveness.


In the Senate gardens on a bench near a small ornamental lake Anakin sat admiring the view. He was waiting for Chancellor Palpatine to join him. It was their regular meeting place and Anakin had grown fond of the spot, especially now when the water birds were breeding. He smiled when he thought of the Chancellor. He enjoyed their talks, they were an interesting contrast in his life as a Jedi. It continued to amaze him how the Chancellor had always found time for him in his busy schedule. Anakin thoughts were disturbed by the approach of a small party. Anakin recognised the Chancellor and stood to greet him.

"So, young Skywalker," Palpatine said as he approached and accepted Anakin's bow. "I trust you are still enjoying the rosy glow of newly married life." Palpatine took Anakin's arm and they walked off down the path together. Palpatine bodyguards walked respectfully behind them.

"You and Queen Amidala has always been a favourites of mine," Palpatine continued. "And I feel it my duty to ensure that there is martial bliss between you."

"Yes, Chancellor." Anakin said. "There isn't another woman in the galaxy that I would rather be with."

"I'm glad to hear it," Palpatine said as he glanced toward his companion. Apparently concerned by what he saw, he stopped and turned to face Anakin. "However I do feel that something is amiss. A newly married man shouldn't have this air of sadness hanging over him. We politicians have to look after our assets and I can't have the best pilot to fight in the Clone Wars brooding."

"And I thought I was hiding it well," Anakin said and paused. He had to talk to someone, he couldn't confide in anyone at the Temple and he didn't know anyone else well enough. "You have the perceptions of a Jedi, Chancellor." Anakin continued, making up his mind. "It's not about Amidala though, it's my Master."

"Well I have to confess to not being surprised." Palpatine said with a smile. "There is nothing that affects you so much as the health and well being of one Obi-Wan Kenobi. And I am also interested in the good Knight. I consider him invaluable for he is helping me to achieve a much sort after goal. Come, I think we should sit and you must tell me everything."

Palpatine led Anakin to another bench in the gardens and sat down with a tired sigh and waved his bodyguards to retreat to a discreet distance.

"You looked tired Chancellor." Anakin said as he sat down beside him on the bench.

"Yes I fear that my mission to root out corruption and reduce bureaucracy is not an easy one." Palpatine patted Anakin on the knee. "Many people have grown used to the extra income that they have not earned and will do much to prevent me from taking it away. Still I knew this when I agreed to be Chancellor and I will persevere. I shall make this government efficient and strong by whatever means necessary."

Palpatine speech had become passionate. He stopped suddenly and looked round the gardens then leaned towards Anakin.

"In fact I gauge whether I have made the right decision by the opposition it receives." Palpatine said confidentially. "The more people who cry out against it the more convinced I am that I have done the right thing."

Anakin laughed with Palpatine, but then the Chancellor became serious, sat up straight and looked Anakin right in the eye.

"These are drastic time and drastic measures are called for." he said. "I will not let our system fall into chaos, even if I have to tear it down and rebuild it again."

Anakin was impressed. "You are the Republic's best hope, everyone knows that," he said then sighed and looked down at his hands. "I really shouldn't bother you with my worries."

"On the contrary my boy," Palpatine said happily. "Your visits are sometimes my greatest pleasure. I want to help and I shall endeavour to assist you in any way I can, and believe me my resources are not insignificant."

Anakin took a deep breath and felt a weight lift from him, at last that he could speak of the thoughts that kept him awake at night.

"It's my Master's new lover," he said at last. "They say it is a casual relationship but I'm watching my Master slowly fall in love. I want to be happy for him but I don't trust Knight Chun. I don't think he realises how fragile Obi-Wan is."

Anakin stood and started to pace in front of the bench. Palpatine watched him walk back and forth with rapt attention.

"Knight Chun seems to think he could call it off at any time. He's going to break my Master's heart and I don't think he would survive if that were to happen again." Anakin stopped his pacing and slumped back into his seat on the bench.

"You want to protect him, that's understandable." Palpatine said sympathetically, putting a reassuring hand on Anakin's shoulder.

"But I can't protect him," Anakin said angrily and dropped his head into his hands, the hopelessness of the situation weighing him down. "I can't stop the inevitable from happening."

"Perhaps you could speak to Knight Chun, make sure he understands the situation?"

"I can't speak to him," Anakin spat without looking up. "He's too busy boasting how he's bedded the unobtainable Obi-Wan Kenobi."

"Are you sure that he is as bad as you think? I know how highly you think of your master and I suspect you think that no one is good enough for him."

"You think that I want to ruin my Master's happiness." Anakin looked up at Palpatine horrified.

"No, no, not at all my boy. I only believe that it would be a good idea to make Bruck show his worth. Then you will be reassured and he will realise how special your Master is. Perhaps some time apart would enable them to put everything in perspective?"

Anakin perked up but instantly realised a problem. "But how? It would have to be soon and they are both due to be based on Coruscant for the next month and by then the damage will be done."

Anakin dropped his head to his hands again. Palpatine said nothing and the problem hung between them. The silence lengthened and the sound of the mating calls of the nearby ducks drifted up from the lake.

"I must confess that I wish I had prevented him from returning to Coruscant," Palpatine said at last. "Had I known what trouble he would cause I would have ensured that he remained where he was, but his assignment there had finished and I had no reason to keep him away at the time."

Suddenly Anakin looked up, a solution had occurred to him.

"You're the Chancellor," Anakin said excitedly. "You could send him on a mission somewhere. Not too long. Just enough for my Master to put everything in perspective."

"Indeed, that is an excellent idea." Palpatine said as he stroked his chin. "I marvel that I did not suggest it myself." He paused in thought. "In fact I believe I know of an upcoming mission that would suit our purposes perfectly. It is suited to Knight Bruck's abilities, the Council do not think it will be dangerous and it would give him an ideal opportunity to show his commitment."

Anakin laughed, this could make all the difference. This could be his chance to save his Master from himself.


Bruck walked around the cliffs at the bottom of a mountain range near the equator on Luxour and considered his current mission.

Luxour was a medium sized planet divided into three political units, whose areas of responsibility covered the planet like a patchwork quilt. Luxour had always been a geologically active planet but a recent set of unusually devastating earthquakes had only affected the land of one of the governments. This, and the usual tensions, had led to a call that the earthquakes were far from a natural phenomenon and were being used to destabilise the victim prior to an invasion by one of the other governments.

The Republic had a particular interest in keeping Luxour stable. It had vital mineral deposits. The Republic would ignore minor internal disputes but this one had deteriorated quickly and threatened the exports.

Vaneth, the other Jedi that had arrived with Bruck two days ago, was conducting a tour of the planet and attempting to soothe ruffled feathers. Bruck himself was looking to see if he could find evidence of an artificial cause of the earthquakes.

Bruck had landed his small ship a mile from his current location and was investigating the cave system on foot. It was a pleasant enough task as this was a beautiful part of the planet. But he was here to work, not sightsee, and his examination of the seismic records appeared to show an anomaly centred around this area. Shading his eyes from the sun, Bruck looked into yet another possible cave mouth and felt in the Force to see if it led further down. The returning signature was unhopeful so he moved on.

The work was demanding but it didn't stop him thinking of Obi-Wan. The summons had been so quick and unexpected that he'd only had time to leave a message rather than the long sensuous goodbye he'd have preferred.

All in all the timing of the mission stank. He was just beginning to get Obi-Wan to relax into their relationship. It had been like calming a frightened horse, every movement had to be planned and executed with the utmost care. Although this was erotic in its own way, Bruck looked forward to the return of the adventurous lover of his youth.

Finally he found a cave that had potential, entered and used the Force to feel his way about. Now all that he wanted to do was get this mission successfully finished so he could return to Coruscant before he lost too much ground with his nervous lover.

Ah, Bruck thought at last. Here was an opening that went deeper in to the rock and felt right in the Force. Walking silently and listening carefully, both to the Force and to the air currents, he descended. Three hours of walking in the dark, and a multitude of dead ends, finally resulted in Bruck getting a feeling of a large opening up ahead. He edged forward and listened more intently. He couldn't identify the noise but it was definitely artificial. Bruck checked his com unit. No signal, the rock above was too thick for a signal to penetrate. He was torn between returning to the entrance to tell his companion what he had found, but, as that was currently very little, he decided to go on.

Eventually Bruck saw light coming from the tunnel ahead. Keeping to the shadows he crept forward until he could see better. The tunnel opened up until it looked down into a large chamber. In the chamber was a bank of equipment that was producing the sound Bruck had identified earlier. Bruck waited. The equipment was likely to be attended, but no one was in sight.

Slowly, carefully, Bruck made his way down to investigate further. He checked the only other exit before making his way towards the equipment. Even though it was unfamiliar Bruck could tell that it was monitoring seismic activity; now he had to see if it could cause any as well.

Suddenly Bruck sensed a disturbance in the Force and instantly somersaulted back, just avoiding the red bladed Lightsabre as it destroyed the computer bank.

Bruck ignited his Lightsabre, assumed a battle stance and eyed his opponent. It was a wookie, dressed as usual in only an equipment belt, and a malignant aura emanated from it that was unmistakable. This was no intra planetary dispute, this was a much worse. Bruck had come searching for evidence and had found it indeed, but not what he had expected.

The wookie howled and attacked ferociously, striking at Bruck with speed and viciousness. Bruck blocked and avoided the blows as best he could and used the Force the throw loose rock at his opponent, but there was no room for him to manoeuvre and he couldn't defend himself properly. That, and the superior strength of the wookie, meant that this fight was doomed to end one way; an outcome that Bruck was not prepared to accept.

He would give his life in the service of the Jedi but he wouldn't die here. The Sith were abroad again and he had to get this information to the Council.

Bruck was driven to the back wall, the wookie howled again, appeared to grin in triumph as it delivered an overhead blow designed to finish the fight. Bruck ducked and slid under the Sith's arm as it's Lightsabre gouged a path in the cave wall behind him.

Bruck twisted round to face his opponent once more. Desperate for room to allow his speed to overcome his opponent's strength, Bruck jumped to ledge he had first entered by and backed down it. Strangely the Sith seemed reluctant to follow and Bruck took that as his opportunity to escape and ran at enhanced speed down the tunnel.

He pulled out his com link and called to Vaneth, but he was still too deep in the rock and he couldn't get a signal. He had to get to the surface and fast. The Sith mustn't have a chance to remove the equipment and any other evidence before the Jedi could arrive.

But the Sith had planned for this and Bruck realised that the roof was about to cave in a moment before it did. He tried to increase his speed further as the rock started to fall around him. Determined to escape, he dodged what he could and used his sabre to destroy what he could not. But the entire tunnel was collapsing and the exit was already blocked.

Desperate, Bruck sent out a mental call to Vaneth to warn him about the trap, turned on his heel and, using the force to deflect the rocks away from him, he raced back to the chamber over the increasingly uneven floor. Now escape was impossible he was determined to return to the Sith to kill, or be killed, in battle.

The opening to the chamber was just ahead and Bruck leaped towards it just as a second explosion rocked the tunnel immediately above him. Instantly the roof fell down just as he was about to clear the affected zone.

Bruck tried to use the Force to protect himself, but he was tired and no match for the tons of descending rock that struck him. 'Obi-Wan' his mind screamed just before he was crushed beneath the mountain.

The Sith waited until the sound of falling pebbles died away and walked to the edge of the fallen rock. Bruck's hand was visible at the bottom of the pile as if reaching for the Lightsabre that had landed just beyond the rockfall.

Apparently satisfied that its enemy was dead the wookie howled in victory. Then it turned and jumped back down to the cavern floor. It disappeared briefly to return, dragging a bound and gagged man to the centre of the cavern.

The man, who was well built and dressed in black, struggled valiantly, but the wookie didn't appear to notice. The Sith ignited his Lightsabre, stepped back from the captive while using the Force to loosen the bonds. Immediately the man jumped up from the floor and raced away from the Sith, but to no avail. The wookie somersaulted over him and ran him through without effort.

Again the wookie howled in delight and disdainfully dropped its Lightsabre next to the body. It then turned and inspected the equipment bay. It was still functioning despite the damage that had been inflicted. The Sith smiled, its Master would be pleased.

It took Vaneth a long time to trace where Bruck had gone, even longer to find the body, only a little longer to decipher some of the information held on the computer and examine the other body and no time at all after that to summon more Jedi to investigate both thoroughly.


Anakin stood in the communications room looking at the hologram in front of him. He was stunned by what Palpatine had just told him. Bruck was dead, but how had that happened? He wasn't supposed to be dead, just out of the way for a little while.

"But you said it wouldn't be dangerous."

Palpatine looked upset.

"No mission that the Jedi are sent on are ever guaranteed to be completely safe. The Jedi live a dangerous life, but because of Knight Chun the Jedi have found out a great deal. It appears that the Sith were trying to destabilise the planet to get exclusive access to several mineral deposits. Apparently Knight Chun killed a Sith, but died in a rockfall caused by equipment damaged in the fight. He died a hero."

"He died a hero!" Anakin repeated. This was getting worse by the moment.

"Indeed. The data in the remains of the computers in the Sith base was damaged, but it implied that these minerals were to help supply arms and equipment to a new army. Some of the locations where the minerals were due to be sent to also survived." Palpatine paused and looked at Anakin's downcast expression.

"Although he would have wished to live," Palpatine continued softly. "Bruck had pledged his life in the service of the Jedi. He gave his life freely in a cause that he has lived his life to defend."

Palpatine noted that Anakin was not looking reassured by his words, so he added. "You must not feel guilty about what has happened. You did what you thought was necessary and no man can say better than that."

There was a silence. Anakin looked up and saw that Palpatine was waiting patiently for a response.

"Thank you for telling me yourself Chancellor, I do appreciate it. I just wish it had turned out differently."

"Contacting you myself was the least I could do in the circumstances. I hope to hear from you soon when you have had time to accept everything that has happened."

"Yes Chancellor, but I think I really have to go and see my Master now."

"Yes, I believe that would be wise. Take good care of him." Palpatine said sympathetically as the hologram faded.


"Do you think this is the solution?" Obi-Wan stood before the Council. This discussion was making him feel very uncomfortable.

"Obi-Wan your insistence it was that Anakin be trained. If problems now you find, little sympathy has the Council."

"Master Yoda, I do not believe that I am the only Jedi to ever come before the Council with problems training his first Padawan. And if training Anakin could ever be considered a mistake than not training him could only be worse. His Force abilities will not go away because we ignore them. Eventually someone else would have discovered him and possibly led him to a darker path."

"Obi-Wan you have come to us with a problem." Mace Windu said. "We have given you our solution. Do it upon your return from your next mission on Princoless 3."

Obi-Wan sighed. He still wasn't happy. He didn't think this was the solution but he'd tried everything he could think of and that hadn't worked either. Maybe this would help, he couldn't see how it could harm. Maybe he would ask Bruck when he returned.

Bruck.

He wanted to ask the Council if they had had any news of Bruck's mission. Nobody seemed to know anything, but he was sure he'd heard Bruck calling out to him two days ago. If something had happened the Council would know but Jedi weren't supposed to ask about missions if it didn't relate to them directly.

He wished they would mention Bruck and set his mind at ease, but until they did there was something else he had to ask that he was permitted to raise.

"Honourable Council members may I ask another question?"

"Yes, Obi-Wan." said Yoda.

"Do you believe that we have become complacent? That we are too sure of ourselves and are blind to the dangers around us?"

"Does this question have anything to do with this vague feeling of dread that seems to obsess you these days?" Master Windu asked.

"I still feel it, it's getting stronger. It's different from the feeling I had before the Clone Wars. Worse somehow."

"Obi-Wan to reassure you, we are investigating, very seriously, that the Sith are abroad again. We are now looking for concrete information about their intentions. We are aware of the dangers around us. We have not lasted this long by ignoring peril."

"Yes, Masters," Obi-Wan said respectfully.

"And do not think that we aren't aware of your attempts to trace the missing soldiers from the Clone Wars." Yarael Poof said. "Your inquires have been causing some confusion and concern."

"Then you know that someone is stockpiling enough equipment to supply an army?" Obi-Wan asked hopefully.

"No large scale purchases have there been, Obi-Wan." Yoda replied.

"I know, but there are an unusual number of small ones throughout the Republic. If someone is building an army then it isn't going to be based just in one spot. I think it's everywhere."

"Obi-Wan," Mace Windu sighed. "We believe that these matters are best left to the Council. I suggest you concentrate on your current dilemmas rather than seeking out new ones."

"Yes Masters," Obi-Wan said as he bowed ready to take his leave.

"Go now and may..." Yoda was interrupted by a com chime. He looked at Mace and nodded. The door to the Council chamber opened and Docent Vant came in. She gave Obi-Wan a strange look as she went to whisper in Mace Windu's ear and Obi-Wan knew, without doubt, that it was bad news about Bruck.


Anakin was waiting for his Master in their shared quarters when Obi-Wan walked in. Obi-Wan looked tired, his shoulders were slumped, he walked with a heavy gait and he sat down at his desk without saying a word to Anakin. Anakin tried not to notice that his Master's eyes were red but it was unavoidable. Anakin sighed heavily, he felt terrible; he'd done this, made a man with so little laughter in his life, even sadder.

Anakin's sigh drew Obi-Wan attention and he looked up to see Anakin's stricken expression.

"I didn't think you liked him much," Obi-Wan said.

Anakin paused, he didn't care about Bruck. He cared about his Master.

'I never meant for this to happen,' Anakin thought. 'I never wanted this. I just wanted him to realise that Bruck was unworthy of him. Now I have another dead man, another hero, as a rival for his affections. All I've ever wanted was for him to be happy, for him to be happy with me.'

"You cared about him, that's enough for me." Anakin said out loud.

Obi-Wan reached out and took one of Anakin's hands.

"I heard his voice calling my name two days ago." Obi-Wan said vaguely. "It must have happened then. I heard him call my name and then there was silence and suddenly I felt so alone. It reminded me terribly of... Well it reminded me of another time I lost someone dear to me and was left alone."

Obi-Wan's expression was so lost as he spoke that Anakin could stand no more. He pulled Obi-Wan out of the chair and clasped him to his chest, wrapping him tightly in his arms.

"You are not alone, Master, you will never be alone. I will always be with you." Anakin said desperately into his Master's hair.

"You are such a good friend, Anakin." Obi-Wan said sadly and returned the embrace and Anakin sobbed in frustration.

Anakin had no idea how long they remained standing, holding each other, but eventually Obi-Wan stood back, wiped his eyes and gestured for Anakin to sit on the couch.

"I'm afraid I have some more bad news." Obi-Wan said to Anakin as he sat down as well. He took Anakin's hands in his. "I'm afraid I'm going to have to delay your Trials."

Anakin was stunned.

"Why," he said.

"You are very skilled in the Force, my Padawan." Obi-Wan replied. "The best pilot I've ever seen, you fight well and have a way with machines. But," he sighed. "I have become worried about you. Your mind is almost completely cut off from me and has been for some time. You do not seem to know serenity anymore. Something is troubling you but you won't talk to me about it."

Anakin flinched. These things were true. He couldn't let his Master into his mind in case he saw what was hidden there; and how was serenity possible when temptation was always so close at hand.

"Am I to be punished?" Anakin asked.

"No, of course not, none of this is your fault." Obi-Wan looked surprised. "It is I who have been remiss in your teaching. I think that you have so many duties that you cannot do them all well. I know you are having problem with Amidala and I know you are having problems here. I consulted the Council and they have suggested that you go to Naboo and stay with your wife for six months. This visit will give you will get a chance understand what is expected and required of you there. When you return you will understand how to fit it in with your duties here."

"Go to Naboo! You are sending me away!" Anakin ripped his hands out of his Master's grasp and turned quickly away so Obi-Wan wouldn't see his distress.

"No, Anakin," Obi-Wan said and he put a hand on Anakin's shoulder. "I know this isn't normal, but your training started out abnormal, I see no reason why it shouldn't continue to be so. This is purely time for you to take stock, to understand all your responsibilities. You will be a Jedi, just a little later than I thought."

Anakin was not reassured. Six months without his Master! It was unbearable.

"And I won't see you in that time."

"I'm afraid you don't get rid of me that easily, " Obi-Wan reassured him. "But I want you to consider every aspect of your training while you are there. Your strengths and weaknesses. Everything. And when you come back we will discuss it all. Including whether you want me to continue as your Master."

Anakin stood and whirled to face his Master.

'How can he say that?' he thought. 'How can he say that?'

"You don't want to train me anymore?" Anakin's world was collapsing about him. He was in danger of losing everything that was most precious to him.

"On the contrary, training you is the most important thing in my life," Obi-Wan replied. "But you won't come to me with your difficulties and your training is suffering. I have to do what is best for you and if another Master is the solution to your problems, then I have to be prepared to give you up."

"I want no Master but you," Anakin said firmly fire in his eyes.

"Then you must be prepared to tell me what is bothering you and we will sort it out together."

Anakin opened his mouth to speak, then closed it again. Obi-Wan looked hopefully up at him willing him to tell him what the problem was. Anakin tried again but once more failed, then he walked away from the couch to stare out of the window down to the city below. He felt that the solution to everything was for him to throw his Master to the floor and take him where he fell; but he couldn't bring himself to suggest it though. Especially now when his Master was still so upset about Bruck.

"Go to Naboo, Anakin," Obi-Wan sighed, his shoulders slumped again and he looked down at his hands. "In time these difficulties will be resolved."

Anakin turned back to his Master.

"We have a mission that we have been preparing for, surely you still need me with you for that." Anakin asked. He wanted to delay this exile as long as possible.

"The Council agrees with you," Obi-Wan said without looking up. "We shall go together to Princoless 3. Contact Amidala, let her know what has been decided. I imagine she will be very pleased with the news."

"Yes Master," said Anakin as he bowed stiffly, but Obi-Wan didn't acknowledge him and he continued to stare down at his tightly clasped hands. Anakin briefly stood watching his Master before he left to go to the communications centre.

However, despite his instructions, Anakin's first call was an emergency transmission to Palpatine. He was surprised how quickly he got through.

"Supreme Chancellor, I'm very sorry to disturb you but I must see you. It's very important," Anakin said as soon as the hologram of Palpatine appeared.

"Anakin my boy, calm yourself." Palpatine said. "Is this evening at eight soon enough, or can you talk to me now?"

"I can't speak about it over the comlink, but his evening would be fine. Thank you so much."

"Anytime my boy, anytime."

Anakin closed the connection and prepared to open another to Naboo.


Palpatine checked the time as he sat in his main reception lounge. It was a room that radiated quiet efficiency and good taste. It usually impressed visitors and put them into more receptive frame of mind. He had about an hour before Anakin was due and he had much to do in that time, plans to refine, ideas to plant, but first there was a detail that needed attention. The door chimed.

"Sathin, my boy, do come in," Palpatine said.

Palpatine smiled as Sathin entered, the boy was nearly seventeen and a very petite and pretty adolescent but with an expression better suited to a much older face. He was Palpatine's current favourite, one who had been with him much longer than usual. Palpatine sighed inwardly, he would have kept him longer but Sathin was in danger of becoming a liability. The boy had begun to realise Palpatine's position and, secure in his status, had started to make demands on it.

"Sathin, my dear as punctual as ever. I have a surprise for you." Palpatine said as he stood to greet his visitor. "You've often said that you wanted to visit Risa; well at last I have been able to arrange a trip."

The boy's face lit up and he walked up to Palpatine, put his arms around the much older man and buried his face in the Chancellor's robes.

"Oh uncle that is wonderful, when are we going?" Sathin said excitedly.

A frown crossed Palpatine's face. "I'm afraid," he said. "As much as I want to go, the Senate keeps me here for now. However, Jarvis will go with you and ensure that you have everything you need to enjoy yourself."

Sathin kissed the Chancellor

"Will you miss me?" he asked and smiled slyly when Palpatine nodded. "I shall miss you too, but you won't regret sending me. I will show you my appreciation of the trip when I get back."

Palpatine smiled indulgently and kissed the boy again. Such a talented mouth. Ah, he would miss this one, but it just couldn't be helped. "Now go and pack, your ship leaves tonight."

Sathin laughed, turned and quickly went to his quarters. He had already started making holiday plans before he had even left the room.

"Jarvis." Palpatine said. A well built man in a butler's uniform stepped forward.

"Yes Chancellor."

"Make the accident look convincing, but I want it to be quick. I wouldn't want him to suffer."

"Yes, Chancellor." Jarvis said and he exited to make his own plans for Sathin's trip.

Palpatine sat back down at his desk, he knew that his apprentice would be annoyed to miss out on this, but it was the type of job that Jarvis had carried out before and he could be trusted to carry it out quietly. Palpatine wasn't going to risk exposing his apprentice on such a trifling matter. But the incident irritated him, he didn't like mess and he certainly didn't like anything that could be traced back to him. He had wanted to place Sathin in a good home, with only a vague memory of a benevolent uncle giving a lonely orphan a start in life. This was what he normally did with his boys, but Sathin had proved resistant to mind techniques and he was having to resort to a less elegant solution.

Palpatine sighed, there would be others he told himself.


Palpatine was still in his reception lounge but the room was not having a calming effect on his new visitor. Anakin was pacing furiously as he told the Chancellor his problem. Palpatine had to use all his abilities not to laugh with joy at Anakin's misery. This could be the opening he had been waiting for.

"And is your Master correct? Are you having difficulties in your training?" Palpatine said apparently very concerned.

"My Master is a great Jedi," Anakin said feelingly. "But he has never got over Master Qui-Gon's death. Sometimes that comes between us."

Palpatine pondered the problem.

"I agree that Obi-Wan is a great man indeed. He led the fight in the Clone Wars and without him, and his leadership, victory would have been much harder if not impossible. However no man should spend his life in mourning. Hmmm." Palpatine paused. "You know him so much better than I, what is it that is preventing him from accepting the past?"

Anakin stopped pacing and looked at the Chancellor. Palpatine willed him to take that step and tell him what he already knew.

Anakin looked down at the floor but answered.

"I think it is because my Master delayed the physical side of their relationship, wanting to wait until the Code allowed it, but by the time he was a Knight Qui-Gon was dead. I think that is the main problem."

"You think that somehow consummating that relationship might allow him to move on?" Palpatine suggested. "That it would free him from his life of sadness and solve the current problem that you have with your training? Hmm, to help two such fine Jedi in one action would be a noble endeavour indeed."

"Well, I suppose so, but it's just not possible!"

"Nothing is impossible for those with sufficient determination and will, my boy. I know of something that might work but it is not an easy solution."

"Please tell me, Chancellor. I am a Jedi Padawan and not easily deterred, and I am truly desperate."

Palpatine patted the seat on the sofa beside him and Anakin sat down.

"I know of a drug," Palpatine said quietly. "That is capable of making even a Jedi see his heart's desires, but alone it will not give him what he needs. Someone will have to stand in for Qui-Gon Jinn, someone would have to pretend to be him, give Obi-Wan Kenobi what he needs and thereby help your Master to heal."

Palpatine saw the hope and desire flare in Anakin's heart.

"I would do anything to help my master." Anakin said.

"That is a wonderful sacrifice for you to make my boy." Palpatine said offering Anakin a genuine smile.

"But," Anakin said, doubt suddenly assaying him. "Chancellor wouldn't all this be deceiving him."

Palpatine took Anakin's hand in his. "We live a world of difficult choices." Palpatine said sadly. "Whether to leave your master undeceived but unfulfilled, or use a little subterfuge to give him what he has always wanted." Palpatine paused and appeared to consider the problem deeply. "What to do? What to do? I think I should send you the drug and you must decide what is for the best."

"Thank you Chancellor, once again you put others first."

"There is no need for thanks. It is my purpose to shape this place we live in for the greater good and that is done in small ways as well as large. A little happiness, or unhappiness, goes a long way. We must always remember that."

Anakin nodded at these words and Palpatine decided that the time was right.

"Anakin my boy, do you trust me?"

Anakin looked at him sharply

"Chancellor! You are one of the most selfless people I know. You have devoted your life to the service of the Republic. I can talk to you when I can't speak to anyone else. Of course I trust you."

"Then if I asked you to do something a little unusual you would?"

Anakin nodded.

"You and your Master are due to go to Princoless 3 to take part in the Festival there. Before the Festival's closing ceremony I need you to go to a certain office and take two items from a safe. I have gathered all the information you will need but you mustn't mention this to anyone. Not even Obi-Wan."

Anakin's head shot up. "Not mention it to my Master." Anakin was about to say that there were no secrets between him and Obi-Wan but that was blatantly untrue.

"Your Master, although a very fine man, has always been unduly influenced by the rules. He would be unable to take on a mission from me without consulting the Council and I fear that would deliver us into the hands of our enemies."

"You suspect the Council?"

"That is precisely what this information will prove. Word had reached me that the Council has been infiltrated by someone who would do the Republic great harm. I need to know the truth. I need you to bring the truth to me."

Anakin stood and bowed to Palpatine.

"You can trust me I will do what you ask. I will bring you the truth." he said earnestly.

Palpatine looked up at him and smiled.


"And the man in black with the feathers, he represents the spirit of the dance." Minister Terril pointed out to Obi-Wan.

"Ah yes, and if I am correct he is the one who gathers all the stories to form the Tintagel Saga." Obi-Wan replied eager to prove to the minister that he wasn't completely ignorant of Princoless 3's culture.

Minister Terril smiled and appeared highly pleased by Obi-Wan's comment and Obi-Wan turned his attention back to the inaugural ceremony of the Spring Festival. It was a glittering, lively event, full of acrobats, dancing and drama. Anakin was sitting on the opposite side of him to Minister Terril and was merrily cheering the performers along with the rest of the audience.

The Minister seemed to have taken it upon himself to ensure that the Jedi were properly looked after. He had met them at the spaceport on their arrival at Princoless 3 and had guided them everywhere since. Taking care to explain anything that he thought the Jedi might be unfamiliar with.

Obi-Wan had been impressed with the welcome and liked the Minister but he was still uncomfortable. It had taken a month of study for him and Anakin to prepare for this week long ceremony, and now that he was here he couldn't understand why it had been necessary. The Spring Festival was certainly complex, and they would have to perform an important part of it, but Obi-Wan had found a sense of humour in the officials here. He was sure they wouldn't be mortified by any mistake on his part. In fact, they had already reassured him that their part of the ceremony was due to be explained to them in detail later. In addition great surprise, and pleasure, had been expressed every time he or Anakin demonstrated any knowledge of Princoless 3's culture at all.

So why the obsessive instructions that he spend so long preparing? A week at most would have been sufficient. True, it wouldn't be the first time that the information on a planet was inaccurate, at least this time it erred on the side of safety, but Obi-Wan felt that there was more to it than that. From somewhere in the Force Obi-Wan sensed that he had been manipulated. Someone or something had kept them on Courscant to ensure that it was they who came here. The Festival had also been delayed once, as if something had had to happen first. Despite his unease Obi-Wan could not divine the reason behind it. It could easily be the Council up to some arcane test or it could be something more sinister. Whatever it was Obi-Wan didn't like it and the pomp and ceremony was ruined for him.


Anakin examined his glass of wine at yet another reception and appeared to pay attention to the group he was standing with. It wasn't easy, he and his Master had been here for over three days and he was no nearer fulfilling his promise to the Supreme Chancellor and it was making him edgy. Worse, Obi-Wan was starting to notice. He wanted to get the job over and done with. This could be the last mission he went on with his Master and he didn't want distractions, he wanted to savour every detail. He had to find an opportunity soon. Otherwise he would have to force the issue which could lead to discovery and a lot of questions he really didn't want to answer.


It was nearing the end of the fight and he was becoming tired, but undeterred and determined to uphold the reputation of the Jedi, Obi-Wan jumped, somersaulted and directed a killing blow at Anakin's head. Anakin caught by surprise, realised with horror that there was no way he was going to be able to block the Lightsabre in time. Anakin took one last look into his Master's eyes and saw the disappointment and sadness there.

Then with a flourish Obi-Wan altered the path of the blade to hit the feeble parry that Anakin had managed to muster. The audience loved it and cheered loudly. Perversely Anakin found that the noise helped him to concentrate and he summoned the Force to hurl a chair at Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan dodged it easily and together they finished the last moves of the display and turned to bow to the appreciative crowd.

Minister Terril walked towards them clapping loudly. He stood between them and put a friendly hand on each of their shoulders. Anakin tried not to flinch.

"Your Excellency and distinguished guests," Terril said addressing the audience. "I think I speak for all of us when I say how impressed and honoured that our Jedi guests have put on such a wonderful display for us." Terril gazed fondly at the Jedi. "Rarely do we see such convincing fighting; I was truly frightened. I'm sure everyone here will now endeavour to avoid your wrath at all costs."

Terril grinned broadly and the crowd laughed at his joke.

"We are honoured by your appreciation." Obi-Wan replied as he bowed to the Minister, the various important guests and finally to the rest of the audience and lead Anakin off the stage to more applause.

Anakin followed him, wishing fervently that there was somewhere else he could go instead, right now anywhere was preferable to his Master's side and the rebuke he was bound to receive. Anakin was proved correct as Obi-Wan waited only until they were alone in the dressing room before he turned to face him.

"That was the most embarrassing show of poor concentration that I have ever witnessed. Somehow rather than my Padawan I seem to have brought a dithering child with me." Obi-Wan said.

"I'm sorry Master," Anakin said with genuine remorse. "But you know how I've never liked showing off our abilities to others. It takes away an element of surprise that we might need at another time."

"I'm so glad you don't let your personal feeling interfere with your duty as a Jedi, Anakin." Obi-Wan said levelly looking more displeased by the moment. "Perhaps you should have mentioned your reservations to the Council, I'm sure they would have found your view interesting. After all, Princoless 3 is only a stanch supporter of the Republic and obviously not to be trusted."

"I didn't mean it that way, Master," Anakin said trying to salvage the conversation. "It's just that I've felt so constricted by our time here. We've been here almost week and we have yet to leave the main citadel. I had hoped to visit some of the city."

"I apologise Anakin," Obi-Wan said crossing his arms. "I thought we were here on a diplomatic mission. I didn't realise you had come to see the sights."

Anakin hung his head in shame this was going worse than he had imagined. Once again he marvelled how his Master managed to make him feel so small despite being several inches shorter. He hated how he was behaving but he had to get out and find his target soon. After he'd fulfilled his promise he'd show Obi-Wan how attentive he could be. Obi-Wan opened his mouth to speak again but was interrupted by a knock on the door. Anakin, glad for the distraction, scurried to open it.

"That was truly marvellous," Minister Terril effused as he entered. "Everybody is so impressed Several people have said that they will definitely come to the closing ceremony just to see you two again."

"We are honoured." Obi-Wan replied politely, bowed in the fashion of a Princoless 3 courtier and Minster Terril grinned broadly.

"Now is there anything that you are missing, anything I can do to thank you for your participation in our Festival?"

"My Padawan has expressed a desire to see more of your city." Obi-Wan said in his politest tones. "Perhaps you can organise a tour for him?" Anakin almost opened his mouth to protest but wisely decided against it.

"It would be my pleasure," Terril said happily. "I shall organise it for tomorrow. Your guide could meet you before noon."

"I thank you for your consideration Minister but I have things I must attend to tomorrow." Obi-Wan said as he looked pointedly at Anakin. "My Padawan will go alone and I will look forward to a detailed description of everything he saw."

Anakin suppressed a sigh. The explanation would indubitably turn into one of his most hated meditative sessions. Something that would stretch both his patience and concentration.

"Good, then that's settled." Terril said unaware of the tension between the two Jedi. "Come, let me introduce you to some people."


In a tree in the inner garden of a well guarded building near the citadel, Anakin Skywalker relaxed into the Force. He would need calm and all the skill he had been taught to complete this mission. Even though he had hated every minute of that cursed tour, it had got him what he needed. Soon he would fulfil his promise to Palpatine leaving him free to concentrate and getting Obi-Wan to forgive him for earlier behaviour. It wouldn't be difficult, his Master never stayed angry with him for long, but every moment in Obi-Wan's disfavour weighed heavily on Anakin. He wished that his Master knew of this mission, but he trusted Palpatine and if Palpatine had said that it had to be this way then Anakin believed him.

Dropping down to the ground Anakin approached the garden door to his target. He crouched and checked the lock. It opened easily as he wielded the Force in the manner suggested by Palpatine's information, and he slipped through the door like a shadow. It was dark inside but Anakin knew exactly where the safe was hidden and moved silently towards it. Pulling back the wall coverings he prepared himself to open it. He had to be calm. This type of safe was considered impregnable and to a non Force user it certainly was. So, following his instructions, Anakin again summoned the Force and the safe opened before him.

Inside it was large, more like a hidden room than anything else. Anakin set to work at once and quickly located the first data chip, but the second was not where he had expected it to be. This was a potential disaster. The safe was full of papers and data chips, it would take him hours to search it and the next routine check was due in fifteen minutes!

Intent on his task, Anakin almost missed the noise behind him, however highly alert he whirled at the sound of the lounge door opening. Instantly he ran for the garden door but was caught in the middle of the room as a well built, middle aged man turned on the lights. Anakin almost panicked, this man must have seen the open safe and was already opening his mouth to raise the alarm. Anakin leapt across the room and jumped onto the intruder, knocked him to the floor and fastened his hand over the man's mouth.

"Silence and nothing will happen," Anakin hissed at him preparing to use the Force to wipe the memory of this moment from the man's mind, all the while looking through the open door to listen for any more unexpected guests.

But the man appeared to sense Anakin's distraction and tore away from him with all his strength. Caught off guard Anakin was unable to hold him and the man raced across to the door. Anakin stumbled after him, but fearing the man's escape and desperate beyond thought Anakin dived, grabbed his opponent's legs and knocked him to the floor once more. The dive sent them tumbling into the fireplace, and the fire irons flew sideways to hit an ornamental gong which, predictably, rang out loudly.

Anakin swore. He would have to wipe the man's memory and get out fast. There was now no time to search for the missing item. Altering memories was difficult and if rushed it could get messy and cause permanent damage, but the was no other option. Fortunately the man beneath him had stopped struggling and Anakin turned him over. Suddenly Anakin's fears about harming the man's mind were irrelevant. In the struggle the man had hit his head on the fire grate and he was now quite dead and Anakin could feel no life force from him at all.

Swearing again, Anakin stood and ran to close the safe. He had to leave this instant and return to his quarters. Without even bothering to listen for guards he slipped out the garden door, locked it quickly behind him and left over the rooftops, by the way he had come. He headed for the citadel, slipping silently through the night around him even though his thoughts remained steadfastly focused on the disaster he left behind.


Obi-Wan was already awake and half-dressed when they summoned him. His dreams had been filled with images of foreboding and doom but, while they had been very effective at disturbing his sleep, they had actually contained no useful information to help detect the cause. Sometimes his sense of the future did little more than make him jump at shadows and toss and turn in the night, and, irritatingly enough, this appeared to be one of those times.

"Jedi Kenobi, please you must come at once." A man cried as he hammered on the door to his quarters.

Obi-Wan opened the door to find a pale Minister Terril, flanked by several aides, outside.

"What has happened?" Obi-Wan asked.

"Something dreadful that only you can deal with. Please come."

"Why, what has happened?"

"Please Jedi Kenobi, it is a matter of great urgency!" Minister Terril begged.

Obi-Wan, more curious than alarmed, decided to follow the Minister. Terril led him to an aircar with Anakin already aboard. Obi-Wan considered asking his Padawan what he knew, but as he was still displeased with Anakin's earlier behaviour Obi-Wan merely nodded in recognition. Terril joined them and they set off away from the citadel.

The aircar dropped them at an building not far away and Terril led them quickly to the doorway of a large, ornate room. Obi-Wan looked inside and decided that it would have been significantly more pleasing without the dead body in the fireplace.

"Minister I don't understand why you have brought us here, this looks like a matter for the local authorities." Obi-Wan said to the Minister behind him.

Minister Terril fidgeting increased. "Normally Jedi Kenobi, I would agree but this matter is very delicate," he paused nervously then continued. "These rooms belong to Telmani Eulian, a very successful business man who has made his home here, and are actually under the Republic's jurisdiction."

Obi-Wan looked startled, areas of planets that were Republic territory were unusual.

Terril looked even more uncomfortable. "He needed to set up a base and we were interested in doing business with him and this was one of the conditions. We have no complaints with his methods." Terril said defensively. "He's been perfectly honest in all his dealings with us and he has benefitted our economy."

"I still don't understand why we are here." Obi-Wan said again. He firmly believed that how the planet chose to run it's affairs was none of his concern.

"The Ruling Council would like this cleared up as soon as possible and without involving the Republican Guards." Minister Terril said quickly. "You and your Padawan are here as Republican officials and have the right to investigate. We have long respected the Jedi and have been impressed by your behaviour and trust you to investigate this matter fairly."

Obi-Wan repressed the urge to sigh. This would not be the first time that he had been asked to investigate instead of the Guards. The Guards had a well deserved reputation for heavy handed behaviour, they often got results but rarely made friends. Strangely, they seemed to find this antipathy irritating as they often complained that no one liked dealing with them. That did not bother Obi-Wan particularly, it was the rumours that they were open to bribery to conclude investigations in a certain way that made him prefer to give them a wide berth.

"Very well, we will do as you request. Has the man been identified?" Obi-Wan asked as he entered the room and knelt beside the dead man, Anakin followed at a slight distance.

"Yes, he is Eugine Onegin, Telmani Eulian's secretary."

"Has Telmani Eulian been informed?" Obi-Wan asked as he examined the area around the fireplace.

"Unfortunately not," Terril said as he hovered by the doorway. "He has gone to Courscant on a business deal and we have been unable to contact him."

"He's missing the Festival?"

"Yes that is odd. I spoke to him before he went but and he was sorry to miss it but he'd apparently had a business opportunity of a lifetime."

Obi-Wan looked up from the body. It was obvious that the man had died in a struggle so this was unlikely to be an assassination. So it was either an argument or the unfortunate secretary had disturbed someone. Obi-Wan liked the feel of the second idea better, but what had he disturbed?

"Minster Terril," Obi-Wan said as he stood. "I thank you for your confidence in us but we will need some privacy to investigate. However I would be grateful if you would try to discover what the terms of Telmani Eulian's will were."

"Oh yes, I'll look into it immediately." Minister Terril backed out the door, apparently glad to have passed on the responsibility, and closed the door behind him. Obi-Wan turned to Anakin.

"Anakin, check the garden, see if you can see signs of how the murderer got in. Keep looking until I call you back."

Anakin looked confused for a moment then tried the door to the garden. It was locked.

"I'll find another route," he said and then he too left.

Alone in the room with the body, Obi-Wan forced himself to relax and let the Force flow through him. At first he could sense little but then his mind suddenly seized on something. There, in the Force was a disturbance. It was centred around one of the walls. Intrigued, he investigated the area and found, beneath the embroidered wall coverings, a well-hidden safe. Obi-Wan breathed slowly and again let the Force tell him what it wished without trying to influence it. His eyes flew open at what he felt. The Force had been used to open this safe not twelve hours earlier! That could only mean a Sith or a rogue Jedi. Obi-Wan had to know what had interested them so much, perhaps the secretary had disturbed the thief before they had completed their task.

Obi-Wan let the Force remember how it had been used before and the safe swung open. It was huge and full. There was no time to look through it so he would have to trust the Force to point him where he needed to look. Obi-Wan relaxed and once again let the Force flow. This passivity in the Force was something he had learned after Qui-Gon had died and the only good thing to have come from his sorrow. He was led to a smaller safe set in the side wall, behind some files. It opened before his fingers and Obi-Wan removed the item that called to him most. It was a data chip.

The Force was now silent, having said and guided Obi-Wan as much as it intended to tonight. Obi-Wan accepted this, closed the smaller safe, exited the large one, closed that as well and then returned to the side of the murdered man.


Obi-Wan was exhausted. Hours had passed since he'd agreed to help Minister Terril. However, the dead man had been removed to the nearest mortuary and a strangely subdued Anakin had found evidence of someone leaving the garden over the roof tops. Obi-Wan had informed Minister Terril about the safe and that he suspected a robbery. He had also asked that a record be kept of all transports that had left that night and checks done on all who were aboard. Minister Terril had agreed but it was a mammoth task unlikely to reveal much; Festival time was the busiest time of Princoless 3's year.

Telmani Eulian had remained uncontactable, and Obi-Wan suspected that would remain so. Telmani Eulian's lawyers were not so convinced. After a long discussion they revealed that they had strict instructions what to do if Telmani Eulian were missing for more than two days, but they refused to divulge what they were. Obi-Wan noted that they were races known to be resilient to persuasion, so did not try to influence them. However, he was sure that whatever these instructions were they would involve the contents of the safe intimately.

Tired though he was, Obi-Wan put the data chip into his datapad and settled down to read. He had yet to tell Anakin about the chip as he was still very displeased with his Padawan's behaviour on this mission, and his sulkiness investigating the murder had been almost inexcusable.

However, Obi-Wan put such thoughts from his mind and concentrated on the matter in hand. The information in the chip spoke of movements of large numbers of men and equipment, possibly troops. It could be referring to the army that he was so concerned about. There were also irritating references to a second chip, which contained information on the identity of the person who was building this army.

This would have been useful and interesting, but the details were giving him an increasingly bad feeling. The places the men and equipment were moving to were almost at opposite ends of the Republic from the places suggested in the information Bruck had discovered. In fact manpower had been removed from the planets mentioned here to investigate Bruck's information. Obi-Wan paused, one set of documents had to be a forgery sent to mislead but which?

This could easily be a plant to discredit the earlier information. This could easily be an accident that showed the earlier plant. Perhaps both were plants, intended to confuse the Jedi completely and make them mistrustful of any information.

He had to work out was what was expected of the Jedi? Had Bruck been sent into a trap or was this the trap? Either way, it had to be the Sith behind this. Both of these traps were subtle and relied on the Jedi using their abilities well. Bruck had been skilled to discover the hidden cave...

Bruck.

Obi-Wan was distracted by the thought of him. Bruck had been his second chance. To think that he had been killed just to plant false information made Obi-Wan's wounded heart ache further.


"Shed no tears for that man, Anakin," the holo of Palpatine said. "He was well known, in the wrong circles, as being a man who would do anything for a price. I have reason to believe that Telmani Eulian hired him to get the information from the original owner. An honest man who gathered it in an effort to serve the Republic and was found mutilated after being tortured to death."

Anakin nodded absently. Palpatine's words gave him some comfort, but he was still reeling from the event of the past twelve hours. To have to go back to the room and have his Master see his shame had been almost too much to bear. Then, to have to search for evidence of his own crime! Fortunately he had been careful in his escape and although his trail was visible, nothing pointed to him specifically.

Even so he knew he was acting oddly but the death of the secretary was preying on him. He just had to speak to Palpatine. Palpatine would help him, tell him that he had done the right thing. Desperate for such reassurance Anakin had only waited until his Master had retired before he had gone to the communications centre on the pretext of an errand for Obi-Wan. Palpatine had answered his emergency call and, as hoped, had eased his troubles.

"If he was known for such things," Anakin asked. "Why was he never apprehended?"

Palpatine smiled a sadly. "He was clever as well as ruthless. He chose his jobs carefully and always made sure there was never more than circumstantial evidence against him." Palpatine shook his head sadly. "Such is our legal system. Believe me my boy, you have done the Republic a favour by ridding it of that scum. I wish that I could do the same to others who wreak havoc unchecked."

"What of Telmani Eulian?"

"I believe he is trying to blackmail those whom the information would damage. I fear he will find that a very dangerous course indeed."

"You think the Council would do him harm?"

"Once I have the data chips I will know if there are members of the Jedi Council who are plotting against the Republic. If that is the case then we are in for a difficult time ahead my boy."

Anakin lowered his head to stare at his feet. "I only got one chip, the other one wasn't were it was supposed to be and then Eugine Onegin ..." Anakin's voice trailed off.

Palpatine looked startled but recovered quickly. "I understand, my boy, but which chip have you got?"

"The first one."

Palpatine looked relieved. "I'm glad to say that was the most important one. I'm sorry that this has been so hard for you Anakin, but you must remember that I think very highly of you and have great hopes for your future. There are few who I could have entrusted this mission to."

"Can I tell my Master what I have done?"

Palpatine shook his head. "I'm afraid not yet. He will need a great deal of proof before he believes any ill of the Jedi Council and I am still gathering the evidence. However," Palpatine looked suddenly cheerful. "I have located the drug we spoke of when last we met. I have had it sent to your quarters in the temple. It could change everything."

Anakin looked up suddenly hopeful. It could indeed. This mission had put nothing but distance between him and his Master. The drug would make Obi-Wan believe that Anakin was Qui-Gon. It could exorcise Obi-Wan's ghosts to solve both their problems. Suddenly the future looked very hopeful indeed.

"Thank you Chancellor," Anakin said happily. "I will ensure that the chip is sent to you as soon as I arrive on Courscant."


"Telmani Eulian was found dead in one of the less salubrious areas of Courscant. Apparently he had gone to meet a contact over this business deal there." Obi-Wan Kenobi informed the Council as he stood before them, Anakin at his side.

"Odd that he should agree to a meeting in such a dangerous place. Unless he thought himself protected in some way." Depa Bilba said.

"Apparently upon his death," Obi-Wan said. "Certain items from his safe were to be delivered into the hands of the Republican Guards. Unfortunately several of those items appear to be missing. I assume whoever had Telmani Eulian murdered also sent the thief to Princoless 3 to retrieve whatever Telmani Eulian was trying to sell, or was using for blackmail."

"Apart from this incident being an object lesson in the perils of a life of crime I don't see how this is a matter for the Council." Yarael Poof said petulantly.

"Nor would I," Obi-Wan replied calmly. "Except for how the safe was opened and the data on this chip I found." Obi-Wan held up the chip in question and Anakin started and stared at it. "I believe it was one of the items the thief was prevented from acquiring. It documents of movements of men and equipment that directly contradicts the information that Knight Chun discovered."

Yoda leaned forward to take the chip, Obi-Wan walked forward to hand it to him. Anakin watched intently.

"So one a forgery must be." Yoda said. "Investigate this matter the Council will. The rest of your mission a success it was, hmm?"

"Yes Master Yoda." Obi-Wan said returning to his pace in the middle of the room. "Minister Terril was very sad to see us leave. The Festival was a success and our participation in it highly applauded."

"Then I believe you have other duties to attend to," Mace Windu said. "Preparation for Anakin's sabbatical on Naboo?"

Obi-Wan looked to his apprentice and Anakin spoke up at last. "Yes Masters, I leave tomorrow morning."

"Then may the Force be with you."


Obi-Wan and Anakin walked away from the Council chamber. Anakin could bear the silence between them no longer.

"Master, please don't send me to Naboo." Anakin said finally.

Obi-Wan stopped and turned to Anakin. "Anakin, I would consider your request if you hadn't made it abundantly clear on Princoless 3 how badly I have failed to train you. You were frequently inattentive and seemed to have no interest in the mission."

"Please Master, give me another chance and I'll prove myself to you."

Obi-Wan shook his head and continued walking down the corridor and Anakin trailed after him. "Anakin, you don't have to prove yourself to me. I have always believed in you. However you seem to have lost your focus of late. This trip to Naboo can only help."

"Then grant me one last request."

"This isn't an execution, Anakin."

"Please, Master."

"Very well, what would you wish?" Obi-Wan sighed.

"I'd like to spend my last evening here with you, dinner in our quarters, just us. So I can say goodbye properly."

"You are only going to Naboo for six months, Anakin, and I will be joining you there fairly soon. Wouldn't you rather see your friends? I know several are at the temple at the moment."

"Please Master?" Anakin pleaded.

Obi-Wan stopped again to look at his apprentice.

"If that is what you want then I agree. This does mean, Anakin, that you will have to speak to me. It will be a dull indeed if you choose to spend yet another evening in silence."

"I promise Master that the evening will be anything but dull."


Anakin brought the dessert to the table. The dinner had gone very well. Anakin had put a great deal of effort into the menu and, despite his nervousness, he had managed to be good company. Chatting happily with his Master, Anakin found it poignant that this evening had reminded him of how it had been before Bruck had appeared.

Anakin had made one of Obi-Wan's favourite desserts. One that he didn't care for and so had an excuse to make a second dish for himself. Naturally, Anakin had laced Obi-Wan's favourite with Palpatine's drug.

Obi-Wan's eyes lit up when he saw the Cascadian Meringue placed in front of him.

"Oh, Anakin what an excellent choice. The Temple kitchen doesn't make it anymore and I've never managed to get it right when I tried."

Anakin sat, his own dessert as yet untouched, and watched Obi-Wan eagerly cut a piece of the meringue and raise it to his mouth.

"Master..." Anakin said as he put out a hand to stop Obi-Wan taking a bite.

"What's the matter Anakin?" Obi-Wan said happily. "You're not going to stop me eating this are you? I know it's bad for me but you made it and I've wanted some for ages."

Anakin paused looking at his happy Master.

"No Master, I just want you to be happy. I wouldn't deny you something you needed." he said and dropped his hand to his side and let Obi-Wan continue. Obi-Wan took a large bite and smiled.

"Excellent, Padawan," he said. "Just as good as I'd remembered."

Anakin finished his own dessert in silence, his mixed feeling no longer allowing him to maintain his cheery demeanour. However for once Obi-Wan didn't seem to notice as he was happily devouring the treat in front of him.

Suddenly Obi-Wan put his spoon down. He'd gone a little pale.

"I suddenly don't feel very well." Obi-Wan said. "I think I must have overdone the meringue."

Anakin stood alarmed. What if the drug was having an adverse effect on his Master?

"Here Master," Anakin said. "Let me help you to lie down."

Anakin helped a very groggy Obi-Wan into his bedroom. He hovered nervously as Obi-Wan took off his boots and tunics and watched as his Master stumbled as he got into bed. Anakin tucked the covers around Obi-Wan, he wanted to be sure that the now shivering Obi-Wan was warm. Satisfied at last, Anakin knelt next to the head of the bed and gazed down on his Master. Obi-Wan's eyes seemed heavy but he fought the urge to sleep.

"I'm sorry Anakin," he said. "I wanted to stay up and talk for longer. I don't know what's come over me."

"Rest now, Master."

Obi-Wan looked up at Anakin and lifted a hand to cup his apprentice's face. Anakin leant into the palm that was pressed to his cheek.

"I will miss you, Anakin," Obi-Wan said sleepily. "It will be lonely here without you. But you will be a Knight soon so I must get used to not having you around me so much."

"I will always want to be by your side, Master." Anakin protested.

"Padawans always say that," Obi-Wan said, his voice becoming slurred. "But you will find that after you have passed your trials so many new possibilities are presented to you that staying around your old Master will seem dull by comparison. Especially as you will have more opportunity to be with your lovely wife."

Obi-Wan's hand at Anakin cheek was becoming unsteady so Anakin held raised his own hand to hold it there. Through the contact Anakin could almost feel the drug taking hold despite Obi-Wan's resistance. Fortunately, despite Anakin's earlier concerns, Obi-Wan seemed to be responding fairly normally to the drug.

"You have always made me proud, Anakin." Obi-Wan said and he smiled, his eyes shining. "You would have made Qui-Gon so proud as well. My only regret at your Knighting will be that he won't be there to see it."

"I love you, Master." Anakin said suddenly but Obi-Wan had finally succumbed and was already deeply asleep. Anakin kissed the palm of his Master's hand, then carefully laid it down on the bed and pulled the covers up around his Master once more. Unwilling to leave his Master's bedside Anakin remained stroking Obi-Wan's forehead.

"So beautiful," he said wistfully. "All I ever wanted was for you to be mine."

At last he stood and went to finish his packing.


"Anakin, are you there?" Obi-Wan asked plaintively as he stumbled out of his room and leant against the door post.

Anakin looked up confused, the lights were dimmed but it was still easily light enough for Obi-Wan to see him.

"Obi-Wan?" he said. Anakin was surprised at himself, he never used Obi-Wan's name.

Obi-Wan started at the words, straightened and looked directly at Anakin with wonder in his eyes.

"Master!" he said joyfully.

Involuntary Anakin stepped back. The drug has worked and Obi-Wan saw the long dead Qui-Gon, but Anakin felt strangely reluctant. He had wanted Obi-Wan for so long that the prospect of actually having him was frightening. He wasn't sure if reality would live up to all his years of fantasies. Perhaps it wasn't too late to stop this and keep his dreams intact. What if this turned out to be a terrible mistake? Anakin stepped back again but Obi-Wan did not share his doubts and launched himself across the room and into Anakin's arms and kissed him with a passion that washed away all Anakin's fears.

Anakin had waited for this moment for so long and its sweetness defied description. All he was sure of was that once tasted Obi-Wan could never be forgotten.

"Oh, my love," Anakin said dreamily.

"My beloved," Obi-Wan answered.

Anakin stood holding Obi-Wan in his arms, almost unable to take in what was happening. His mind and heart felt that they were about to overflow and the world was suddenly strange and confusing. However, despite his disorientation there was one thing he knew he still had to have. Anakin picked Obi-Wan up in his arms and carried him back to the bedroom. He was taller than his Master and found that Obi-Wan fit perfectly into his arms. But he was heavy, so much muscle, and Anakin had to use a touch of the Force to help carry him.

Such a romantic action hadn't come naturally, but it had struck Anakin as something that Qui-Gon would have done. And the look of adoration that Obi-Wan aimed up him and the feel of his Master pliant in his arms was reward in itself. Anakin felt that such things were worth any effort; indeed they were well worth killing for.

Anakin lowered Obi-Wan onto his bed and in the dim light kissed him. The touch seemed to awaken Obi-Wan and he suddenly pulled Anakin roughly on top of him. Anakin jumped, startled, at the contact between them and the passion that burned him through the interfering layers of clothing. The the barrier between them was suddenly unbearable and Anakin had to feel Obi-Wan's skin against his own. The need was mutual and they tore at each other's clothing like animals. Anakin felt pain where Obi-Wan's nails tore at his skin whenever he missed the cloth and Anakin gloried in it, knowing that he was marking Obi-Wan in the same way.

They were still partially dressed but Anakin could wait no longer and had to taste his Master now. Hungrily he leant forward and bit Obi-Wan deeply on his neck, marking him and tasting his blood. Obi-Wan cried out and arched his body up to follow the contours of Anakin's above him and Anakin nearly fainted from the pleasure of the full body contact. But it was only the start, and they both wanted so much more.

Suddenly, amidst their passion Anakin felt a hand searching for long hair that wasn't there, alarmed he looked down to see Obi-Wan looking at him strangely.

"How can you be here? How can this be happening?" Obi-Wan said, his eyes glinting. "I watched you die. You died in my arms."

Anakin cursed, Obi-Wan was fighting the drug. 'Let yourself believe' Anakin pushed, 'Don't fight it.' The confusion in Obi-Wan's face suddenly cleared and he pushed Anakin off him. Anakin staggered to his feet, only to be knocked to the ground by the Force. Anakin collided with a table in his fall and the glasses on it smashed beneath him. Suddenly Anakin was very afraid. It seemed that Palpatine had been wrong about the effects of the drug or Obi-Wan had proven horribly immune to it after all.

"I did it for you..." Anakin spluttered as he tried to explain.

"For me?" Obi-Wan spat, interrupting him. "You left me alone for thirteen years and you did it for me!"

Anakin tried to get up but Obi-Wan slapped him hard and his head hit the floor as it rebounded from the blow. Dizzily Anakin realised that the drug was still working.

"Where have you been?" Obi-Wan said as he straddled Anakin, kneeling in the broken glass that surrounded them. "I've needed you so much, Qui-Gon, and you weren't here," he continued angrily, almost sobbing. "How could you leave me so alone?"

Anakin could fell the anger, confusion and lust pouring off his Master. It was an heady, intoxicating mix. He felt the glass dig into his back as his Master entered his unprepared body. Pleasure and pain met and he could no longer tell the difference and he lay suspended in ecstasy between heaven and hell. This was what he had wanted for so long and he saw that it was good, very good. But Obi-Wan was not the only injured party here, Anakin had suffered too and he needed his injuries to be acknowledged as well.

Gathering his scattered wits Anakin Force pushed his Master hard. Obi-Wan flew backwards and tumbled into the bedside table, knocking it over. Instantly Anakin was upon Obi-Wan, pining him down and reversing their positions.

"You are not the only one who has suffered. For years I have waited for you, for years you have been denied to me." Anakin snarled his face inches away from his Master's. "But not any longer, now you are mine, mine to do with as I please."

Obi-Wan growled in response and Anakin took that as assent and pounded into the body beneath him delighting in the howls of pleasure that he evinced from his Master, but his victory was short lived. Barely had he finished than the tables were turned once again and Obi-Wan, shoving and clawing like a wild beast, forced Anakin to submit just as he had submitted.

Through the night they slaked their revenge on each other. Showing how much misery they had both borne in the intervening years by their lust and their desire. Scratches and bites were used to show depth of feeling. Love spoken of in snarls and threats. Years of pent up passion danced in the roughness of the act until bodies, driven beyond exhaustion, collapsed on the ruined bed.


Anakin lay in Obi-Wan arms, he was grinning broadly. His body ached in so many ways, and places, from their coupling and he felt wonderful. After all these years it had finally happened and it had been as good as, if not better than, he'd always dreamed. Twenty-five years of combined longing had made it an intense experience indeed. Anakin burrowed deeper into Obi-Wan's arms and enjoyed the sated, exhausted feeling.

Obi-Wan was deeply asleep and Anakin's warm glow got hotter at the thought that it was him who had exhausted his Master so. Tired as he was Anakin couldn't help thinking about the morning. There was no point in his leaving for Naboo now. He would call Amidala and explain the situation. Amidala would be upset, but Anakin was sure she would understand and most of her anguish would come from the fact that it was he, and not her, who now had Obi-Wan.

The morning would be wonderful they would wake up, maybe make love again. This time it would be gentle, not the mad rutting of the night before, and then Anakin would tell Obi-Wan everything. How he had asked Palpatine to send Bruck away, the incident on Princopless 3, his jealousy, everything. He was sure Obi-Wan would forgive him, after all he hadn't wanted Bruck dead that had been an accident, just like the death of the secretary. The conversation would be difficult but worth it to hold onto this bliss.

Happy in the future Anakin settled down to sleep and was just drifting off when a stray thought made him sit up in shock. Had he lost his mind? What was he thinking? There would be no loving discussion in the morning, no calls to Amidala. Obi-Wan was sleeping the sleep of the drugged not the exhausted. He had to get away before Obi-Wan woke and found Anakin Skywalker not Qui-Gon Jinn in bed with him.

Horrified into action Anakin jumped from the bed and searched around the floor for the remains of his clothes. He'd gathered most of them when he happened to glance towards the bed and the vision there caused him to drop everything to the floor again.

Still wrapped in sleep Obi-Wan looked more beautiful than ever and the temptation to hold him, touch him while he still could was overwhelming. Anakin had to have what was ordinarily denied him one last time and he moved to kneel beside the bed. Slowly, gently he reached out to touch the face he loved. Then he traced the bites and scratches on his Master's neck and shoulders.

"I made these," he said.

Anakin pulled the bedclothes away and Obi-Wan was completely revealed in his nakedness. Anakin drew in a deep breath, it was the first time he had had the chance just to look at his Master's body and now he could not look away.

For in the sound and fury of last night there had been no time for observation, merely action, reaction and the fulfillment of primal urges. Now he used his fingertips to gently traced the body that had haunted his thoughts for years, noting every scar, bite and scratch, and finally fondled the lax genitals. Somehow rather than sating his desire last night had only made it more intense.

"Oh my Master," he said. "I love you so much. I did this for you. Now maybe you can move on and we can be together at last."

Anakin had no idea how long he remained there but eventually the light through the window made him realise that his transport was due to leave soon and he had to be on it. Tucking the bedclothes back up to his Master's chin Anakin regretfully stood, gathered his clothes again, and, walking backwards so he need not take his eyes from the bed, left the room.


Obi-Wan made his way towards consciousness. It was a slow process, his mind felt woolly but awareness eventually returned. At first he felt nothing, as though he was floating, then the realisation came that he was very happy about something. But what?

"Qui-Gon!" Obi-Wan shouted as he sat up, but he moved too fast and his head exploded in pain forcing him to sink back down to the pillow. Then, when the pain was under control, he turned to look for his beloved Master only to be confronted by the empty other half of his bed.

"No," Obi-Wan howled in pain. A dream, another dream, but this one had been unlike the others and so real. Never before had he been so angry and never before had it been so pleasurable. Unable to stay where false memories insisted he had taken pleasure in his Master's body Obi-Wan stood and instantly had to clutch at the knocked over bedside table for support as his knees gave out.

In his despair he managed to find that odd, he remembered falling against it and knocking it over in his dream. Forcing his eyes to focus Obi-Wan looked around his room. It was a mess, clothes and broken glass and pottery lay scattered on the floor.

Slowly, carefully, as his body protested at the movement, he knelt to pick up a piece of glass. It had blood on it. In his dream he had pushed Qui-Gon to the floor just here, he had pushed him to the floor and had taken him as he lay on broken glass.

Dazed and confused and barely able to walk, Obi-Wan stumbled to the bathroom where there was a mirror. Bracing himself against the sink he looked into it. The shock of the image caused his knees to give way again and he dropped to the floor, banging his head on the sink on the way down. Blinding pain shot through his skull and he curled into a ball as he hit the floor.

Slowly he controlled the pain and made a catalogue of the injuries to his body. He could feel the scratches and bites he had seen in the mirror, scratches and bites he could remember Qui-Gon giving him. Wounds that had caused him such pleasure. He could smell the reek of sex and sweat that came from every part of his body. Further mental investigation also revealed some internal damage.

Last night had been no dream, or if it were he had yet to wake from it, but what had happened? Force ghosts existed. Had Qui-Gon, after all these years visited him in such a guise? If so why had he waited so long? Why had he been so angry?

>From his foetal position on the floor Obi-Wan reached out with the Force. Force Ghosts left a distinctive pattern. A pattern that was quite absent from the room. In fact the only presences that had been in these quarters for the last day was his own and Anakin's.

Obi-Wan curled up upon himself even tighter. This could only mean one thing. Slowly and painfully Obi-Wan uncurled and dragged himself to his feet and once again stood before the mirror. Carefully he lifted one hand to touch the reflection.

He had done this to himself. He had used the Force to create the bites, scratches and other damage. Obi-Wan hung his head. It sickened him that he could have abused the Force in this way. After spending so many years worrying that his grief would destroy his mind he had finally taken the first steps towards insanity. Obi-Wan forced his protesting body to walk back into the bedroom, ignoring the broken glass as it dug into his bare feet. He had to get to the healers, the would help him, they would clean his mind somehow.

Then Obi-Wan thought of Anakin. What if the healers couldn't heal him, or declared him incompetent to have a Padawan? Who would finish Anakin's training? Obi-Wan knew of no other Knight or Master who would take Anakin on with his history and current problems. This madness could cost Anakin his Knighthood! And that was completely unacceptable.

'I'll just have to hold it together until I can get Anakin's Trials brought forward again.' Obi-Wan thought to himself. After that his mind could do as it pleased.

And what of his concerns of this invisible massing army? Was that another product of his developing madness? Most likely it was and the fuss he was causing was drawing attention to himself. Attention he now desperately needed to avoid.

"Until Anakin is Knighted I shall be the perfect Jedi." Obi-Wan vowed his hand curling into a fist. "I'll obey the Council in everything. I won't let anyone see the fragile hold I have on sanity. I won't let them see until Anakin is a Jedi and it no longer matters."


On another part of Courscant the Supreme Chancellor woke and rang for a servant to bring him breakfast. For some reason, which he was currently unable to pin down, he was feeling incredibly pleased with himself.


Continued in 'Building a Brave New World', where Palpatine becomes ever more persuasive, Anakin finds a new path and Obi-Wan discovers the truth.

Back to SWA-L Archive