Elsewhere
by Claire


Date: 1-24-99
Disclaimer: They ain’t mine. George Lucas would probably have a coronary if he knew what I was doing with them, but he doesn’t so :-Þ.
Notes: This was written for a friend’s birthday. It’s her fault the thing exists because she was the one who pointed out that the scene between Han and Leia when the Death Star explodes could be taken in a totally different way to what GL meant.
Other website: http://wkweb5.cableinet.co.uk/moonlettuce/slash.htm
Pairing: H/Lu
Rating: NC-17
Summary: A different interpretation of the end of RotJ.


LEIA ORGANA:

He doesn’t love me. He thought he did; even fooled me for a while. But it all changed that night on Endor. It was that night when he finally realised that it’s not me he wants - it’s Luke. I should have seen it. After all, when we went against the first Death Star it wasn’t me he came back for, it was Luke. Looking back I should have known it from the way they were when they returned to Yavin. The way Luke threw himself into Han’s arms when he saw him. The look that went between them contained so much energy it could have powered the Rebellion for a year. But I ignored it. I thought I was imagining things. I wasn’t.

I started to notice other things. Like the time in Jabba’s Palace. Han had just come out of the carbon freeze, and I told him I was someone who loved him, he paused, as though he was trying to remember my name. I originally assumed it was a symptom of the carbon sickness, but now I know better. I can’t even hate him for it. The truth is we just weren’t meant to be together. Don’t get me wrong, I do love Han, and he loves me. We’re just not in love with each other. Not like he and Luke. And it was that night on Endor that started it all.

LUKE SKYWALKER:

I didn’t expect it. Oh, I knew how I felt about him; knew how I’d always felt about him. But he was with Leia. He was my sister’s lover. I never thought he’d be mine. Never thought it would be me he wanted.

I remember the first time I saw him in Mos Eisley. He basically ignored me until I questioned his asking price for flying me and Ben to Alderaan. Then he just looked at me and called me ‘kid’. It used to annoy me, but now? I’m not sure when that ‘kid’ stopped being annoying and started being something more. All I know is that it did. I admit I was attracted to Han in the beginning. Hell, who wouldn’t be? You’d have to be dead not to find Han Solo attractive. With his laconic grin and lazy drawl that sent shivers through me every time he spoke. I owe him my life several times over. He came back for me when we went against the Death Star. He risked his own life to save me on Hoth. My life belongs to him; the same as my heart. When I saw the vision of Han on Dagobah I had no choice but to go to him. I couldn’t let him be hurt. No matter what Yoda said I couldn’t let Han be sacrificed. So there was no question about going after him when he was given to Jabba. I would have died to protect him. That’s why I went with them to Endor. I thought if I was near Han then I could keep him safe. I never imagined what would happen. I never knew what it would lead to. I never realised what would happen that night on Endor.

HAN SOLO:

I know she thinks I didn’t love her, but she’s wrong. I did love her. I just didn’t love her enough. There was always something between me and Luke, but I always thought it was just friendship. I discovered it was more than that when they got me out of the carbon freeze in Jabba’s place. When I asked who was there and Leia told me it was "Someone who loves you," I nearly called her Luke. She’s a princess; beautiful and classy. So why, when faced with the emotion of love, was the first image my mind brought up the face of a farm boy from Tatooine?

I should have realised something earlier. I should have known something was up when I had the money to pay off Jabba aboard the Falcon, and I still turned around and went back. Luke needed me and I couldn’t leave him. For the first time in my life I put someone else first, and it terrified me. I went after Leia with a vengeance, but it was no use.

I never got the chance to talk to him after we left Tatooine that second time. He went to the Dagobah system to see Yoda, and we headed to a rendezvous with the Alliance in the Falcon. When he walked into the Alliance meeting saying he was coming with us to Endor, I wanted to tell him that I didn’t want him there. I wanted him safe aboard a ship somewhere, not coming with us on what could have been a suicide mission. It’s ridiculous, Luke’s been through so much since we first set out to rescue Leia from the original Death Star. He’s a Jedi Knight; perfectly capable of taking care of himself. But I want to keep him safe. The thing is, if Luke hadn’t come with us to Endor then we would have still been trying to ignore what we felt. Because it was that night on Endor that started it all.


Luke Skywalker leant against the door of the hut as C-3PO told the Ewoks the story of their fight against the Empire. The Ewoks chattered among themselves for a few seconds after the golden droid finished speaking, before one of them turned back to C-3PO and spoke.

Threepio listened to the chief of the village as he told him the tribe had decided to accept the three humans, Wookie and two droids. "Wonderful," said Threepio, translating for the benefit of the others. "We are now a part of the tribe."

Leia smiled at Han as he stood up to go and talk to Threepio. She was about to follow him when movement by the door caught her eye. Turning her head she saw Luke slip out of the hut. Leia frowned; Luke had been acting strangely ever since they returned from Bespin. She’d originally thought it was the combination of facing Vader, losing his hand and the possibility that they’d lost Han, but now she wasn’t so sure. Her concern growing, she headed after him.


Luke closed his eyes as he listened to the sounds rising up from the forest floor. The Force that weaved through everything pulsed through his soul as a flock of birds took flight.

"Luke?"

The blonde opened his eyes as Leia’s voice broke into his thoughts.

"What’s wrong?"

Turning to face her, he regarded the Princess’ solemn face. "Leia, do you remember your mother?" he asked suddenly. "Your real mother?" He sat down on the barrier of the walkway.

Leia started at him in surprise for a brief moment. "Just a little bit," she finally answered, sitting next to him. "She died when I was very young."

Luke tilted his head slightly. "What do you remember?"

Leia thought about it for a second. "Just images really, feelings."

"Tell me," Luke requested eagerly.

Leia smiled softly as an image of her mother sprang to mind. "She was very beautiful, kind, but... sad." Her smile faltered as she remembered her mother staring forlornly out of a window. "Why are you asking me this?"

Luke looked up to the sky. "I have no memory of my mother. I never knew her."

Leia placed a hand on Luke's arm, causing him to look at her. "Luke, tell me what’s troubling you."

"Vader’s here," he eventually replied. "Here, on this moon."

Leia stared at him in disbelief. "How do you know?"

"I’ve felt his presence," he explained. "He’s come for me. He can feel when I’m near. That’s why I have to go. As long as I stay I’m endangering the group, and our mission here." I’m endangering Han. "I have to face him."

"Why?" Leia didn’t understand Luke's desire to confront Vader.

Luke's eyes met Leia’s and held her gaze. "He’s my father."

Leia stared at him, shock and disgust warring for dominance on her face. "Your father?!"

"There’s more," Luke continued, unable to stop the confession of his knowledge. "It won’t be easy for you to hear, but you must. If I don’t make it back, you’re the only hope for the Alliance."

Leia’s jaw dropped in surprise at Luke's words. "Luke, don’t talk that way. You have a power I don’t understand. And never could have." If she was being honest with herself Leia had to admit those who could manipulate the Force made her a little uneasy. Oh, she loved Luke like a brother, but the way he used his abilities sometimes unnerved her.

"You’re wrong, Leia," said Luke, sensing her unease at the turn the conversation had taken. "You have that power, too."

Leia shifted slightly.

"In time, you’ll learn to use it as I have," Luke continued. He paused, not knowing how Leia would take what he was about to tell her. "The Force is strong in my family. My father has it, I have it, and... my sister has it." Luke watched as realisation slowly dawned on Leia. "Yes, it’s you, Leia."

Leia nodded slowly, feeling the truth coming from the man in front of her. "I know," she said quietly, turning away. When she’d first met Luke, she’d felt as though she’d gained a piece of her that had always been missing. She’d originally thought the relationship was destined to be that of lovers, but now she knew differently. "Somehow, I’ve always known."

"Then you know why I have to face him," said Luke, mentally begging her to understand.

"No," she argued, standing up. "Luke, run away. Far away. If he can feel your presence then leave this place." She looked at him sadly. "I wish I could come with you."

"No, you don’t," Luke contradicted her, standing next to her. "You’ve always been strong." Unspoken between them was the sentiment that Leia had never run from anything.

"But why must you confront him?" Leia desperately wanted to understand why Luke wanted to face Vader. The name stuck in Leia’s mind; she was unable to think of him as her father.

"Because," Luke explained with a slight smile. "There is good in him, I’ve felt it. He won’t turn me over to the Emperor." Luke was sure in his conviction. "I can save him. I can turn him back to the Good Side." He paused for a second "I have to try." Luke leant forward and gently kissed her on the cheek.

Leia watched sadly as Luke turned away and headed towards the hut he was staying in. "Be careful, Luke," she whispered as he walked away from her.


Han looked around the hut, but neither Luke nor Leia were there.. walking over to Chewbacca, he laid a hand on the Wookie’s arm. "Chewie, did you see where Luke and Leia went?"

The large Wookie growled an answer and motioned to the door.

"Thanks," said Han absently as he walked out. As soon as he left the hut he could see Leia standing on the walkway, watching as Luke walked away from her. "Hey, what’s going on?" he asked.

Leia looked at him briefly before turning away. "Nothing. I just want to be alone for a little while."

Han could hear the lie as soon as it left her mouth. "Nothing? Come on, tell me. What’s going on?" Han pushed down on the emotions that the thought of Luke and Leia together stirred up. He still hadn’t worked through his reaction to Leia’s ‘Someone who loves you’, and secret rendezvous’ between the other two were the last thing he needed.

Leia wrapped her arms around herself. She couldn’t deal with Han’s questions at the moment. She couldn’t repeat what Luke had just said. Voicing what Luke had told her about Vader being her father would only make it real. "I can’t tell you," she said, tightening her hold on herself.

Han felt his anger burst out of him. "Could ya tell Luke? Is that who you could tell?" he demanded.

"I..." Leia’s voice trailed off as hot tears spilled out.

"Ah!" Han turned and began to walk away, stopping before he’d even taken his second step. Looking back, he saw Leia hugging herself tightly, tears running freely down her face. "I’m sorry," he said, stepping up behind her.

Leia felt the concern coming from Han and the last shreds of her control crumbled. "Hold me," she pleaded, turning towards him.

Han wrapped his arms around her, making soft, soothing noises. "It’s okay, Leia. Everything will be okay," he said softly.

"No, it won’t," replied Leia, her voice muffled in Han’s shirt.

Han stepped back slightly. Placing a hand under Leia’s chin, he gently lifted her face. "Leia, what do you mean?"

"It’s Luke," she sniffed.

Han felt his heart start to pound. "What about Luke?"

"He’s going to face Vader."

Han looked at Leia in disbelief. "What? Vader? Is he stupid?"

Leia shook her head. "He feels it’s something he has to do."

"Something he has to do?!" Han exclaimed. "What the hell is he thinking? He can’t do this to me..." Han’s voice trailed off as he realised what he’d said.

Leia stared at him. Raising a hand, she gently brushed her fingers down his cheek.

Taking her hand in his own, Han looked into the Princess’ eyes. "Leia, I-"

Leia placed her other hand over Han’s lips, stopping his words. Stretching up, she gently kissed him in the cheek. "It’s okay, Han. I understand. Really, I do. Go to him."

Han looked dubious. "Leia-"

"Han, go."

Han nodded quickly. Brushing his lips briefly across Leia’s, he leant down. "Thank you," he whispered in her ear.

Leia smiled shakily. "Go," she murmured.

Han stepped away, turning and heading in the direction of the hut Luke was staying in.

"Leia told me what you’re planning to do."

Luke spun in the direction the voice came from to see Han standing in the doorway. "What did she tell you?"

"That you’re planning on facing Vader." Han stepped into the hut, the door swinging shut behind him.

Luke looked away from Han's knowing face. "I have to face him, Han."

"Why, kid? Can you tell me that?" Han walked up to Luke and placed a hand on his shoulder.

Luke closed his eyes briefly, feeling the heat of Han's palm through his shirt. Unconsciously, Luke leant back. It wasn’t until he felt the solid warmth of the other man’s body that he realised what he’d done.

Han's breath quickened slightly as Luke pressed against his chest. After barely a second the Jedi began to move forward. Without thinking Han took hold of Luke’s arms, keeping the younger man against him.

Luke bit his lower lip as he felt Han's hard body against his own.

"Just come back to me, okay, kid." Han's words were barely a whisper.

Luke pulled himself out of Han's grip and turned to face him. "Han?"

The ex-smuggler sighed and rubbed a hand over his eyes. "Look, Luke," he began, "I’ve never done this before, so I may be making an utter fool of myself, but what’s new, right?" Han took a deep breath. "I care for you, Luke. A lot."

Luke’s blue eyes sparkled as he listened to his friend try to voice his emotions.

"I thought everything that happened between us was about friendship," continued Han. "I was wrong. It’s not about friendship. It’s about more, much more. I guess what I’m trying to say it-"

"Han," Luke interrupted him, placing a finger across his lips. "Shut up." Tangling his hands in Han's brown hair, he pulled his friend to him and kissed him.

Han stiffened in surprise as Luke’s lips met his own.

Luke felt Han's initial shock but didn’t let him go. Playfully, he teased Han's lips with his tongue.

When Luke’s tongue probed at his mouth, Han's reserve melted. Wrapping his arms around Luke’s body Han pulled the younger man closer to him. Opening his lips, he caressed Luke’s tongue with his own.

The young Jedi smiled as he felt his friend’s response. Dropping a hand to rest of Han's waist, he pushed their groins closer together, letting Han feel how aroused he was.

Han hissed into Luke’s mouth as he felt the hardness against his hip, his own cock growing in response.

Luke's hand snaked in between their bodies and undid Han's trousers. Pushing his hand inside the fabric, Luke wrapped his fingers around the hardening shaft.

Han broke the kiss. "Bed, he gasped.

Luke nodded. Keeping his arm around Han, he manoeuvred them to the small bed against the wall.

Han stopped suddenly as the edge of the bed hit the back of his legs.

Luke pulled his hands out of Han's trousers and started to pull off his friend’s shirt. "I want you," he murmured, throwing the shirt and waistcoat into the corner of the hut.

Han shivered slightly as the cool air hit his heated skin. "You have me," he replied, as Luke bent his head and lapped at a nipple.

Luke captured Han's nipple between his teeth and flicked at it with his tongue.

Closing his eyes, Han wrapped his fingers around Luke's head, pulling him closer.

Luke smiled and pulled away, laughing softly at Han's groan of loss. Slowly dropping to his knees, Luke deftly removed the belt from Han's trousers and threw it to join the shirt. He could feel Han's hard cock through the fabric and rubbed it with his hand.

"Luke!" Han groaned, as he threw his head back.

"Lift up your foot," Luke commanded quietly.

Han did as Luke asked and felt his boot being pulled off, distantly hearing the ‘thud’ as it hit the floor.

Doing the same with the other boot, Luke lightly brushed his fingers over the sole of Han's foot before Han pulled it away, giggling softly. "You’re ticklish," Luke commented. "I’ll have to remember that." Reaching up, Luke gently pulled Han's trousers down, Han's erection immediately escaping the confines of the fabric. Slowly, Luke licked the length of the shaft, gently sucking at the moisture that had trickled out of the tip. He felt Han's hands as they tangled in his hair, pulling him nearer. Han softly thrust into his mouth, matching the rhythm Luke had set.

"Wha-" Han’s eyes shot open at the loss of sensation. As his lust fogged eyes focused, he saw Luke's soft smile.

Luke smiled at Han's whimper. Raking his eyes up and down the naked body of the man in front of him, Luke stood. He quickly pulled off his own clothes, throwing them on top of Han's. Stalking over to Han, he placed his hands on his shoulders and pushed him down onto the bed. "Lie down," he said softly.

Han lay back on the bed, grinning as Luke straddled his waist. The younger man lowered his head and lightly bit one of Han's nipples. Han squirmed under Luke as he worked his way down his chest, nibbling at his flesh.

Eventually, Luke had worked his way down Han's body and was kneeling between his legs. Pushing Han's thighs further apart, Luke brought his head down, smiling at the sharp intake of breath he heard as his lips surrounded Han's cock.

Han groaned loudly as the hot cavern engulfed him. He felt the young Jedi’s tongue swirl around the head of his cock, and then glide down the length of his shaft. Moaning softly, he grabbed handfuls of the bedcovers to keep from grabbing Luke's head and forcing it further down on his cock.

Luke swirled his tongue around the head of Han's cock and relaxed his throat to take him in further.

Han yelled as his entire shaft was swallowed and caressed by Luke's throat muscles.

Bringing a hand up next to his face, Luke began to fondle Han’s sensitive sac. He could feel the veins on the hard shaft pulsing within his mouth and knew that Han was close to climaxing.

Han moaned continuously as Luke's tongue flicked at his cock. Urged on by Luke’s soft mouth, Han felt his orgasm about to overtake him.

Luke felt Han's entire body tense as he came, shooting his seed into his mouth. As the echo of Han's scream died, Luke spat the semen into his hand. Gathering some of it on his fingers, he reached down to the entrance to Han's body.

Han was unable to keep quiet as a slick digit entered him. Because his body was totally relaxed after his orgasm, it wasn’t long before a second finger slid in, and then a third. Unable to stop himself, Han pushed back onto Luke’s hand.

Smiling at Han’s responsiveness, Luke found his prostate and raked his fingers across it.

Han wailed as white hot pleasure shot through him and his cock hardened for the second time. His body screamed for Luke to be inside him. "Please," he whispered.

Luke smiled. Using the rest of the semen and his own pre-come to coat his cock, Luke placed Han's legs over his shoulders and positioned himself at the entrance to his body.

Han could feel the hot, hard cock pushing against him, but not attempting to gain entry. Silence reigned in the hut. All Han could hear was his own laboured breathing. Colours swirled in front of his closed eyes, and then the man above him moved. A strangled scream rushed from Han's lips as Luke's shaft suddenly pushed in to the hilt in one stroke, before stopping all other movement. Han tightened the grip he had on the bed covers, his knuckles white. He could feel the unmoving fullness of Luke's cock inside him. "Luke," he begged.

Luke hissed at the feeling of the tight heat around him. Slowly he began to move in and out of Han, angling each thrust to brush against Han's prostate. Over and over, he pulled his cock out to the head and pushed back, watching as he slid out of Han's body before plunging back in again.

Red heat shot through Han with each of Luke's thrusts. He whimpered with the friction of Luke's cock against his muscles.

Leaning down, Luke kissed Han, his tongue sweeping inside Han's mouth in a possessive gesture.

Running his hands down Luke's back, Han felt the sweat form on the Jedi as he pounded into him.

Reaching down, Luke grasped Han's cock, his fingers wrapping themselves around the heated flesh.

Breaking the kiss, Han dropped his head back as the Jedi expertly handled him. The pleasure was intense, and the shivers Han was experiencing built up into tremors which wracked his entire body as his orgasm swept over him, and his climax arched into the air.

Luke yelled as Han's body clamped down on him, the shivers running through Han's body translating into tight, clenching grabs that milked his cock. With a final thrust, Luke came into the willing body encasing him, the rippling of Han’s internal muscles pulling every last drop from him. Collapsing onto the man beneath him, Luke felt his soft cock slip from Han’s body.

Han whimpered slightly with loss as Luke slipped out of him. "Love you," he mumbled, as he felt sleep rapidly overtake him.

Reaching out with his abilities, Luke grabbed a cover that had been kicked onto the floor and covered them both with it. Gently rolling to the side, Luke moved back against Han and closed his eyes.


Waking up some time later, Luke carefully slipped out from Han's loose embrace. Gathering his clothes, the Jedi quickly dressed. Heading back over to the bed he gently brushed a lock of hair from Han's face. "I love you," he whispered, placing a soft kiss on his lover’s cheek. "No matter what happens, know that I’ll always love you, and I always have." Checking his lightsaber for a final time, Luke cast a last glance at Han's sleeping figure and quietly slipped out of the hut.

The young man silently made his way through the Ewok village. When Luke reached the village boundary, he looked back, his eyes unerringly finding the hut where Han was still asleep. "I will do whatever it takes to keep you safe, Han. Whatever it takes."


Luke studied the garrison, wondering how he was going to get in. A slow smile spread over his face as he remembered Ben’s encounter with the stormtroopers on their way into Mos Eisley. The same trick he himself had used to gain entry to Jabba’s Palace. Moving quickly towards the garrison, he stepped into a lit area, suppressing a smile when one of the stormtroopers told him to halt. he thought.

"Who are you and what are you doing here?" the stormtrooper demanded.

"You will take me to see your commander," Luke stated calmly.

"I will take you to see my commander," repeated the stormtrooper, pushing his blaster into Luke's arm and taking him into the garrison.

Luke walked for several minutes until he was pushed into a cell. About an hour later, two stormtroopers came to collect him, taking him to a large office.

The man behind the desk looked up and sneered at Luke in contempt. "I’d love to deal with you myself, but I’ve been told Lord Vader himself is taking an interest in you." Standing up, he walked over to Luke, trailing his eyes over his body. "You’re not much, are you?" he commented.

Luke met his eyes. "Take me to Vader," he said quietly.

"Don’t demand of me, Rebel scum," the commander fumed. "Where are the rest of you?"

"I’m alone," Luke answered.

"Don’t lie!" shouted the commander.

Luke said nothing, refusing to lower his gaze.

Finally the commander turned away, motioning to the stormtroopers by he door to place cuffs on Luke's wrists.

Luke's attention was drawn when the door opened and a young officer walked in, heading straight to the commander and murmuring something in his ear.

The commander looked at Luke. "It looks like you’re about to get your wish. Lord Vader’s shuttle has just landed."

Luke was led out of the office to a lift at the end of the corridor. Standing inside, he felt the box rise. Eventually the doors re-opened and Luke found himself face to face with his father.

The commander nudged Luke out of the lift. "This is a rebel who surrendered to us," he told Vader. "Although he denies it, I believe there may be more of them and request permission to conduct a further search of the area." The commander spared Luke a glance before continuing. "He was armed only with this." He handed Vader the lightsaber that had been hanging from Luke's belt.

"Good work, Commander," Vader replied, not even looking at the man. "Leave us. Conduct your search and bring his companions to me." Vader continued to study Luke.

The commander nodded. "Yes, my Lord."

Luke stood silently as the commander and stormtroopers left. Turning to Vader, he waited to be taken to the Emperor.


Han stretched and reached out for his lover, encountering only air. Opening his eyes, he sat up, wincing slightly at the ache radiating out from muscles that protested at the night before, and looked around the hut. Although his clothes were in the corner, Luke's were gone. Getting out of the bed Han wrapped the sheet around his waist and walked to the door. Stepping out onto the walkway, he looked down to the forest floor. "Come back to me, kid," he murmured. "Just come back to me."


Leia looked at the assault team. They were all sitting in a hut waiting for Han to show up. Sighing, Leia walked over to Chewbacca. "Chewie, go and get him, will you?"

The Wookie headed for the door. Just as he was about to reach it Han walked in.

Leia looked at him. "Are you okay?" she asked, placing a hand on his arm.

"I’m fine," he replied. "Why wouldn’t I be?"

"Han-"

"Leia, leave it. Please."

Leia studied him for a few seconds before nodding her acquiescence.

"Thanks." Han smiled at her before turning to the rest of the group. "Right, the furballs have agreed to lead us to the generator, but we have to plan what we’re going to do once we’re there."


Luke stepped out of the lift into the Death Star’s Throne Room. Aware of Vader next to him, he walked to the foot of the stairs leading to the throne. Slowly the throne turned, revealing Emperor Palpatine’s withered visage.

"Welcome, young Skywalker. I have been expecting you." Palpatine’s eyes dropped to the cuffs around Luke's wrists. "You’ll no longer need those."

Luke watched as Palpatine motioned and the cuffs fell off his wrists. Luke stared at his now free wrists. Even now, any manipulation of the Force by him required intense concentration, but the Emperor didn’t even seem to think about it.

Palpatine glanced over to the Imperial Guards standing by the door. "Guards, leave us!" Waiting until they had left, he turned his attention back to Luke. "I look forward to completing your training. In time, you will call me ‘master’."

Luke met Palpatine’s eyes. "You’re gravely mistaken. You won’t convert me as you did my father." Not while I have my love for Han to anchor me, he thought. You will never penetrate my heart while he protects it.

The Emperor stood and walked over to Luke. "Oh no, my young Jedi. You will find that it is you who are mistaken. About a great many things."

Vader held out Luke's lightsaber. "His lightsaber."

Palpatine took the weapon, studying it. "Ah yes, a Jedi’s weapon. Much like your father’s," he commented. "By now you must know that your father can never by turned from the Dark Side. So will it be with you."

"You’re wrong," Luke said, holding his head up. "Soon I’ll be dead, and you with me." I’m sorry, Han, but this may be the only way to save you.

"Perhaps you refer to the imminent attack of your Rebel fleet," replied Palpatine, laughing at the shocked look that crossed Luke's face. "Yes, I assure you," he continued, turning away, "we are quite safe here."

"Your overconfidence is your weakness," Luke shot out.

Palpatine stopped and looked back, glaring at Luke. "Your faith in your friends is yours."

"It is pointless to resist, my son," Vader said quietly.

The Emperor reached his throne and sat down. "Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. Your friends out there on the sentuary moon are walking into a trap."

Luke felt his heart start to pound. Han, he thought.

"As is your Rebel fleet," Palpatine continued. "It was I who allowed the Alliance to know the location of the shield generator. It is quite safe from your pitiful little band. An entire legion of my best troops awaits them."

Luke felt his legs start to buckle, but refused to give the Emperor the satisfaction of seeing it. Screaming inside at the trap that had been set for his lover and sister, Luke stared at Palpatine, his fury rising.

Palpatine smiled coldly. "Oh, I’m afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive."


Han muttered to himself. He should have realised they’d taken the bunker too damn easily for it to be anything but a trap. The crew at the generator had managed to reseal the doors before they’d got there and now they were stuck for a way of trying to open it.

"The code’s changed," said Leia, trying to open the doors. "We need Artoo."

Han looked at the controls. "Here’s the terminal," he said, finding the small portal.

Leia stepped back and took out her small transmitter. "Artoo, where are you?" she spoke into it. "We need you at the bunker right away."

Han grimaced as a volley of shots were fired at them. Aiming at the stormtroopers targeting them Han fired, smiling when the stormtroopers were suddenly attacked by a group of Ewoks. The noise of snapping twigs distracted him and he turned to see C-3PO and R2-D2 making their way towards them.

"We’re coming!" called the golden droid.

"Come on! Come on!" Han urged, as Artoo headed to the controls and connected to the terminal.

"Oh, Artoo, hurry!" Threepio cried, as the other droid tried to find the new access code to the bunker.

Without warning, a shot was fired from the forest and hit Artoo.

"My goodness!" wailed Threepio, as Artoo jerked backwards and started to spark.

Han cursed and shot the stormtrooper, but it was too late. Electricity crackled over Artoo, shutting the droid down. Han looked at Artoo in dismay. "Well, I suppose I could hot-wire this thing," he muttered, trying to sound positive.

"I’ll cover you," Leia told him, stepping forward to cover the forest.

Removing the plate covering the controls, Han stared at the multitude of wires. "Here goes nothing," he said to himself, pulling two of them out and tying them together.

A few minutes later Leia heard Han's hopeful voice.

"I think I got it!" Han smiled, connecting another wire to the mix in his hand. "I got it!" Han stared at the door, his smile quickly vanishing as a secondary door closed over the entrance.

Leia turned her head, distracted by the sound of the closing door. Suddenly, white hot agony lanced through her upper arm and she reeled back in pain.

Han crouched over Leia in concern, ignoring Threepio’s voice asking if she was all right. "Let me see," he said, trying to check the wound.

"It’s not bad," Leia told him, grimacing with the pain and lying through her teeth.

"Freeze!"

"Oh dear!" said Threepio, looking at the two stormtroopers aiming their weapons at them.

Han looked at Leia. She swept her eyes downward and Han followed her gaze, a grin breaking out on his face when he saw the blaster she was holding. "I love you," he told her.

Leia smiled, slightly sadly, as she heard the emotion behind the words. Han did love her, he just wasn’t in love with her anymore. "I know," she replied.

"Hands up! Stand up!"

Han slowly raised his hands in surrender, quickly moving to the side to let Leia fire.

Taking the two stormtroopers by surprise, Leia fired on both of them, killing them instantly.

Han's grin soon turned to a frown when he saw the AT-ST heading to them. "Stay back," he said quietly, standing up. Swallowing, he readied himself for the machine to fire. Luke, I love you, he thought, hoping, somehow, the Jedi would hear him. Han didn’t expect the AT-ST’s hatch to open and Chewie to appear, so when it did, it took him a brief second to recover. Shaking himself back into action, he grinned. "Chewie! Get down here, she’s wounded!" he shouted, motioning to Leia. "No! Wait!" he yelled, changing his mind. Turning back to Leia he smiled. "I got an idea."


"I will not fight you, father." Luke stepped back as Vader advanced on him.

Vader looked at Luke's unactivated lightsaber. "You are unwise to lower your defences," he said, bringing his own lightsaber up.

Luke quickly activated his lightsaber, defending himself from his father’s attacks. Moving quickly, the younger Jedi jumped onto the platform above him and looked down at Vader. "Your thoughts betray you, father. I feel the good in you; the conflict."

"There is no conflict," disagreed Vader.

"You couldn’t bring yourself to kill me before, and I don’t believe you’ll destroy me now." Luke walked down the platform.

Vader walked parallel to him. "You underestimate the power of the Dark Side. If you will not fight, then you will meet your destiny." Vader threw his lightsaber at the platform, cutting one of the supports.

Luke yelled as the platform gave way, tumbling him to the ground. As he quickly rolled out from under the collapsing platform, he was sure he could hear Han’s voice in the back of his mind telling him he loved him.


Han grinned as he set the charges in the bunker. His idea of using the radio within the AT-ST to get the bunker crew to open the doors had worked like a charm, and they were busy setting the explosives to destroy the shield generator. "Throw me another charge!" he yelled at Chewie, placing it on the command console.


"You cannot hide forever, Luke."

"I will not fight you." Luke pushed himself further into the dark corner. Han, he thought, I’m sorry. But no matter what happens I promise I’ll always be with you.

"Give yourself to the Dark Side," continued Vader. "It is the only way to save your friends."

Luke looked up in shock.

"Yes, your thoughts betray you." Vader’s voice worked it’s way through the darkness. "You feeling for them are strong. Especially for..."

Luke realised he couldn’t let Vader discover his feelings for Han. If the Emperor knew how he felt, he’d use it against Han. Luke felt the tears spring to his eyes. He’d failed Han on Bespin, he wouldn’t do it again. He consciously pulled all thoughts of Han from his mind and replaced them with his feelings for someone else.

Vader searched Luke's mind, trying to find someone to use against his son. "...Sister."

A single tear ran down Luke's cheek. Leia, I’m so sorry, he thought in shame. But I have to protect Han. At any cost.

"So, you have a twin sister," commented Vader smugly. "Your feelings have now betrayed her, too. Obi-Wan was wise to hide her from me. Now his failure is complete. If you will not turn to the Dark Side, then perhaps she will."

"NO!" Luke screamed in fury. Flicking on his lightsaber, he charged at his father.

Vader brought his lightsaber up to defend himself, but Luke's actions were fuelled by his anger.

Luke pushed Vader back, slashing at him indiscriminately. Bringing the lightsaber down, he severed Vader’s hand, his eyes flashing with hatred.

"Good," laughed the Emperor, walking towards them. "Your hate has made you powerful. Now, fulfil your destiny, and take your father’s place at my side."

Panting heavily, Luke stared at Palpatine in horror. Turning back to Vader, he looked at where he’d severed his hand. It was the same hand Vader had taken from him on Bespin. With a jolt Luke realised that was exactly what the Emperor wanted. If Luke killed Vader in anger then he’s be forever turned to the Dark Side. Pushing down on the anger that threatened to overwhelm him, Luke thought of Han, remembering the look on his lover’s face when he’d cried out in ecstasy. Feeling his love for Han sweep through him, Luke turned off his lightsaber and turned to face Palpatine. "Never," he said, throwing the weapon to one side. "I’ll never turn to the Dark Side. You failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

Palpatine physically felt Luke's anger evaporate. A sudden calm overcame the younger man as he cast away the lightsaber. The Emperor’s eyes narrowed. "So be it... Jedi," he snarled."


"Go!" Han yelled, as he ran from the bunker. "Move!" Jumping behind a log, Han covered his head with his arms as the bunker exploded. Standing up, he leant on the log and looked up. He could see the uncompleted Death Star hanging there. "Get out of there, Luke," he whispered to himself. "Get out of there and come back to me."

Leia watched as Han leant heavily on the log in front of him. Ignoring the throbbing ache in her arm, she headed over to him. "Han?"

Han raised his head at the sound of his name and found himself staring into a pair of concerned eyes.

"Are you all right?" Leia placed a hand on his arm.

"Do you think he’ll get out of there?" he asked softly, his voice barely audible.

Leia’s gaze dropped slightly. There was no need to ask who he was referring to. "I don’t know," she replied, her voice equally quiet.

Closing his eyes, Han took a deep breath. "Have you had your arm seen to?" he asked.

"Not yet," she answered.

"Come on," he said, taking Leia’s hand. "We’ll need to see how bad that wound is."


Luke stared at Palpatine, his love for Han grounding him.

Slowly, Palpatine pointed at the younger man. "If you will not be turned, you will be destroyed." Lightning shot out of the Emperor’s fingers, striking Luke to the ground. "Young fool," he chided. "Only now, at the end, do you understand."

Luke reeled in agony as his body was hit by another jolt.

Palpatine walked towards the prostrate Jedi. "Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side." Not giving Luke a chance to recover, the Emperor hit him once more. "You have paid the price for your lack of vision."

Electricity crackling through his body, Luke cried out. It can’t end like this! his mind cried. I can’t leave Han. Fighting the pain, he reached out to his last hope. "Father, please," he begged. "Help me."

"Now, young Skywalker," said Palpatine calmly. "You will die."

Luke screamed as the energy from the Emperor hit him. Through tear filled eyes, he saw his father standing next to Palpatine. Inwardly gathering his strength, he projected a mental plea to Vader. Father, please. Luke writhed as wave after wave of agony swept through him. Collecting the last of his energy he sent a mental image of Han to his father. Help me. I can’t leave him. Don’t make... don’t make me leave him alone.

Vader’s gaze flicked between his son and his master. Anakin Skywalker had abandoned the woman he loved for Darth Vader. The Dark Side knew nothing of love, only pain and fear. His son loved someone, and was loved in return. In that love lay Luke's greatest strength; and the Emperor’s only weakness. Turning to Palpatine, he picked the older man up and headed to the drop to the reactor core. Ignoring the pain shooting through him from the Emperor’s power, he cast Palpatine down.

Luke struggled to his knees and crawled over to his father. "Father?"

Vader looked at his son’s face. Raising his hand, he gently laid it on Luke's cheek. "Cherish the love you share with him, Luke. It will protect you from the Dark Side."

"NO!" Luke yelled, as his father fell silent. Pulling himself to his feet, Luke placed his arms around Vader and began to pull the unconscious body to the launch bay. Hold on, Han, he thought. I’m coming back to you.


Leia winced as Han wrapped the bandage around her arm. She was just about to speak when a massive explosion rent the air. Looking up, she smiled with joy when she saw a fireball in the air where the Death Star had been. They did it! she thought. They actually did it! Her smile faded slightly as she remember Luke was up there.

Han stared in disbelief. Luke. The name echoed through his mind. Turning to Leia he saw the look on her face. "I’m sure Luke wasn’t on that thing when it blew," he said, unsure as to whether he was trying to reassure her or himself.

Leia felt the concern emanating from the man next to her. "He wasn’t," she told him, certain her brother had survived. "I can feel it."

Han studied her face, a heavy sensation settling in his heart. "You love him," he stated. "Don’t ya?"

"Yes," she replied. Of course, he’s my brother.

Han dropped his gaze, unsure of what to say. He may not be in love with Leia anymore, but he still loved her and didn’t want to see her hurt; she had already lost so much in her life. "All right. I understand. Fine," Han said trying to ignore the thunderous rush of blood sounding in his ears. "When he comes back, I won’t get in the way." Han wondered how long it would be until he could just jump in the Falcon and disappear. He didn’t want to be there when Luke returned; he knew he wouldn’t be able to cope with it. At least I had one night, he thought. If he left straight away then he’d be able to survive with just the memory of that time. But, if he saw Luke again, he knew he’d want so much more.

Leia looked at Han in confusion, suddenly realising he thought she and Luke wanted to be together as lovers. "No, it’s not like that at all," she said quickly. Looking into his eyes she smiled. "He’s my brother," she explained.

Han tilted his head, Leia’s words slowly penetrating his mind.

Leia smiled at Han's confusion, taking the opportunity to pull him to her. One last goodbye, she thought, as she met his lips with her own and kissed him.

When Leia broke the kiss a gleeful smile spread across Han's face. He’s her brother. The words went around and around in his mind. Pulling Leia back to him, he kissed her quickly. "I love him," he told her.

"I know," she answered.


Luke watched as the funeral pyre of his father continued to burn. Although Vader had died, Luke still believed he had been saved. Closing his eyes, he felt the Force ripple around him. Opening them again, Luke turned away from the blazing fire and headed towards the Ewok village. I’m coming back, Han, he thought. I’m coming back.


The celebration was already going on when Luke reached the outskirts of the village. Standing in the shadows he watched as Han embraced Lando Calrissian. The moonlight was shining off his lover as Han weaved his way through the people to stand by Leia. Smiling at the sight of his lover and his sister, Luke stepped out of the shadows.

Leia felt a small sensation in the back of her mind. Turning, she smiled as she saw the figure step out of the shadows. "Luke," she breathed.

Han turned at the sound of his Luke’s name. His heart jumped at the sight of the blonde Jedi, but he stayed back while Luke embraced Leia.

Luke wrapped his arms around his sister. Laying his head on her shoulder he sighed. "He told me to tell you I was right," he said softly. Raising his head, he looked into her eyes. "I was right," he repeated, smiling at her before he pulled away.

Han stepped forward, letting out the breath he hadn’t even been away he was holding. Reaching out a hand he pulled Luke to him.

Luke went willingly into Han's embrace. "I had to go, Han," he said quietly. "I saved him."

"I know ya did, kid," Han murmured into Luke's blonde hair.

Luke moved back slightly and looked into the other man’s eyes. You’re my anchor, he thought, slowly caressing Han's wrist with his thumb. "I love you," Luke whispered.

Han flashed a grin. "I know-" Han glanced down, the words trailing off. Taking a breath, he looked back up and met Luke's gaze. "I love you, too," he said.

Luke smiled and leant forward, gently capturing Han's lips with his own as the celebrations carried on around them.


The spirit of Anakin Skywalker watched as his son kissed the man he loved.

"His love for Han will ground him in the light."

Anakin looked at the figure of Obi-Wan Kenobi standing next to him. "I know it will."

"Proud of him, you should be," added Yoda.

Anakin turned his attention back to Luke. "I am," he replied. "I always was."

"He doesn’t need us anymore," commented Kenobi. "He’s a Jedi in his own right."

Anakin nodded, turning back to the man next to him. "I’m... sorry," he said.

"There’s no need to be, my friend," Kenobi replied. "There’s no need to be." And the three figures slowly faded.


Back to SWA-L Archive