Come Closer
by Cristina Reyes


Archive: yes, SWAL
Archive Date: December 25, 1999
Disclaimer: We all know the Great Lucas owns them, I just can write them better. ;-)
Just kidding; don't hurt me, George.
Feedback: Of course, to jedikrispykreme@hotmail.com
Notes: The idea for this came from a P/K Trek story that I happened upon that used this unusual conversation style. The title, if I recall, is a line from Velvet Goldmine.
This is unbeta-ed and barely qualifies as a fic, more like a vignette.
Thanks to Irene for all the encouragement, and to Cara, who first introduced me to the wonderful possibilities of Han and Luke.
Pairing: H/Lu
Rating: G
Summary: A conversation between two best friends ends with some interesting results.


Hey.

Hi.

Mind if I sit?

Of course not.

Thanks. So, how you doin', huh?

Fine, just needed to be alone for a while.

I could leave if you--

No, I'd like it if you stayed. We haven't had a chance to talk, recently.

Know what you mean. Been pretty hectic around here. Leia's been runnin' from one meeting to another. Getting pretty stressed.

I'm worried about her too. But stabilizing the New Alliance is the most important thing in her life now.

Is that what happened?

What do you mean?

Why you two split up. Because she didn't have time for you.

You don't know nothing about what happened between me and her. Nothing.

I'm outta here.

Wait, I'm sorry. I didn't mean it that way. Please, sit back down.

Yeah, sure.

You're right, you know. I have no idea what happened between you two. You're my best friend, and she is my sister, yet neither of you came to me, not even to tell me it was over. I had to read it in the gossip mags on the street.

Yeah, well, it wasn't like you seemed too interested at the time.

I don't understand.

That's a surprise. I thought the Jedi were supposed to be all knowing.

Please, don't.

Sorry. But you gotta understand. It was like you were in your own world; you distanced yourself from us, from everyone. It wasn't easy to go and talk to you.

I didn't know.

I know, but you're not, anymore. We lost you for a while, but now you're back.

Glad to be back.

I'm glad too.

So what happened?

I dunno. We just drifted apart, I guess. To tell the truth, there wasn't really much of a relationship in the first place. Maybe we were too different. Maybe we just thought it was love. All I know is that it wasn't meant to be. Is that a good enough of an explanation for you?

I never wanted an explanation; I just wanted the closeness back. We were inseparable, before, the three of us. Then you two got together, and I found out Leia was my sister. I thought we would only get closer, but we didn't.

Maybe part of the reason me and Leia got together was because you had left.

You left us, remember, not the other way around.

Yeah, and maybe I needed you two to come after me.

Both, or just one of us?

What?

You were in love with her.

She's my sister.

That didn't change anything. If you hadn't found out, you'd still be pining away for her, thinking she's the one you needed.

Maybe she wasn't the one I needed.

Yeah, maybe.

Why didn't we?

Why didn't we what?

You know what I mean. You. Me. Together.

We just didn't. There was always something in the way. Aldaraan, rescuing Leia, the Death Star. Then there was the Rebellion, and Vader, and becoming a Jedi. There was never any time.

We have time now.

Han...

Luke...

Come closer.


Back to SWA-L Archive