At Long Last
by 'chelle


Archive: M&A; SWC; all others just ask
Category: Romance, AU
Disclaimer: They're George's. I just like to make 'em happy.
Feedback: Always welcome
Notes: Thank you again to Kaly for her criticism and support.
Pairing: Q/O
Rating: PG
Series: Final part of story which began with Hope, because it is the one thing no one has found a way to kill; Part two was Silence; This is the third and final story
Summary: Obi Wan is knighted.
Warnings: It's AU. No Naboo, no Maul, no Anakin. Guess I'm in Denial. It's also mushy. I'd thought it might be at least a little smutty, but no, just mush. You've been warned.


"Passed the trials you have." Yoda intoned in that voice which always, for some reason, seemed on the verge of saying "Wakka, wakka, wakka." "Obi Wan Kenobi grant you the title of knight we do."

Relief flowed through him. He'd done it. He could sense Qui Gon's pleasure in his achievement and turned to glance at his master, standing several steps behind him on his right.

"Tomorrow the ceremony will be. See you then we will."

But Obi Wan did not turn to leave.

"Is there something else Knight Kenobi?" Master Windu inquired.

Obi Wan cleared his throat. "Yes, Master, there is." He inhaled deeply then let the words out in a rush. "I wish to request the Council's permission to become bonded. To my master. To Qui Gon."

Surprise filled the room, most of it coming from Qui Gon.

"Don't you think you should ask him first?" Master Gallia asked, her voice filled with amusement.

Obi Wan shook his head. "If I asked him privately, he would drag it out. Want to discuss it for days. Here he'll be forced to answer me with a simple yes or no."

She chuckled. "Knowing Qui Gon you are probably right. But you still have to ask him before we can consider your request."

Obi Wan flushed. "Oh, well..." He turned and looked at Qui Gon who had not said a word since they entered the Council chamber. Steeling himself he walked to his Master.

He looked into those blue eyes, searching for a hint of what the answer would be, but all he could clearly discern was amusement. He had come too far to stop now. "Master, Qui Gon, I wish to spend my life at your side as your partner, your friend, your lover. Will you have me?"

Qui Gon didn't answer, instead he reached a hand up to stroke his former padawan's cheek. Then he replied. "You are so much more than I deserve."

"Please Master let us not have that argument again. Just answer me. Yes or no."

"I've never been able to deny you anything, you know that."

"Qui Gon." There was an edge to Obi Wan's voice.

"You are the best friend I have ever had." Qui Gon was enjoying himself immensely.

"And you are being as obtuse as always. Just answer."

"Yes, Obi Wan. Yes, I will have you." In all sorts of places, he added silently. In all sorts of ways.

Promises, promises. Obi Wan shot back as he turned to face the Council, many of whom were smiling openly.

"Grant your request we do. Bonded you shall be."

"Thank you, Masters," Obi Wan and Qui Gon replied simultaneously, bowing. They made a hasty departure, ignoring the soft laughter behind them. By unspoken agreement they headed straight for their quarters.

"Obi Wan."

He stopped. It was Bant, hurrying up behind them. Turning he hugged her. "When did you get back?"

"This morning. I heard you took the trials."

"I passed."

"That's wonderful." She hugged him again. "When do we celebrate?"

There was an awkward silence and Bant glanced at Qui Gon. She smiled back at Obi Wan, "I'm sure you would like to spend some time alone with your Master first. You know where to reach me." She whispered so that only Obi Wan could hear, "Details. I'm gonna want details." Nodding to Qui Gon, she walked away.

"Why didn't you tell her?"

"Because the only one I wish to discuss anything with right now is you."

"Are you sure it is discussion you want?"

"Our quarters, Qui Gon. Now."

When the door finally shut behind them, Obi Wan suddenly felt awkward. The few days they had spent as lovers had been followed by six months of celibacy. They had never made love here. Never made love when the need for escape did not overshadow everything else.

Qui Gon moved toward him, took his face in his hands. "Thank you."

"For what?"

"Everything. Your friendship, your faith in me, your love. You truly are more than I deserve."

"For the last time, I am not more than you deserve. You deserve joy and laughter and a thousand other things I cannot put words to. But all I have to offer is me."

"As long as I have you, I have all of that and more. I love you, Obi Wan. Deeply, passionately."

"Care to show me just how passionately?"

The only answer he received was a kiss. A kiss which offered him everything he had ever wanted. And more.


Back to SWA-L Archive