Go to notes and disclaimers


Victim of the Game
by CKing

Part VII


Alex Krycek stared at the image of the alien in distrust. "What the hell, Alexei? You don't have any family. You came out of a fucking egg for Christ's sake! Like a lizard. The female lays you and forgets you."

Alexei stepped forward into the circle of light, and for the first time, Alex saw the young alien truly incensed. "I was not laid as an egg!" It was odd hearing his own voice hissing at him with that much anger. "You know that isn't true. You forget I know everything you do. I've gone through every thing you know about my race." The young alien's eyes flashed as he stared at his host. "I was just placed there to keep me safe during transport. In infant form my species is liquid, and vulnerable to intraorbital flight. That "egg" was a... a car seat!" Alexei squared off in front of his host, his chin raised defiantly in a gesture Mulder would have recognized at Alex's snort. "You don't know anything about my people's cultures or relationships. Humans know only what they've been allowed to know."

Alex fought to keep his face a mask, despite his surprise at seeing the young alien's show of spirit. Normally the gentle alien was diffident, soft- spoken, almost shy. In fact, Alex had been wondering about the alien's character. Alex's experiences and memories were the only input Alexei had as he developed, yet, somewhere he had picked up a gentle demeanor and a concern for others. The best Alex could determine was that when the baby alien was searching his mind for a personality to take on, it had latched onto one from his childhood. The Alex before everything went to hell.

Even after the rapidly-maturing alien had seen Alex's later life, it had maintained the peaceful persona. The cruelty the Russian scientists and Consortium sadists had inflicted only made him more aware of mankind's inherent frailty, and the difficulty humans had healing. The alien had never shown any desire to hurt anyone, never displayed anger, until now. He was showing some of Alex's own temperament for the first time. Alex fought to keep from letting a grin slip across his face at the display of spirit. Maybe the kid had potential after all.

The grin was replaced by a scowl as he followed that thought. This wasn't his kid brother, it wasn't a youngster he was showing the ropes to. This was an alien. A parasite that was a constant threat to Alex's survival. If he let himself forget that, even for a moment, he risked worse than death.

Alex's body tensed, radiating threat. His white teeth flashed in a wolf's sneer that promised pain. "You don't know everything I do, kid. And you know less about 'your people' than we mere humans do. And let's look at what we do know about your people. We know they plan on colonizing this planet, and that they are willing to destroy all human life to do that. And they are just as willing to kill any of their own that object, or don't fit in. Remember the Hunters? You know, the ones who track down and destroy all clones or hybrids because they aren't 'pure' or condoned? You're sure as fuck neither. Even if you managed to find any aliens, they'd kill you on sight, just for the way you evolved. You're a freak, flawed, impure... the Bounty Hunters would kill you on sight."

Alexei was shaking. He stared down at the ground, his arms wrapped around himself as he fought for composure. "No," he whispered. He raised soulful green eyes back to Alex. "It's not my fault," he said in a small voice. "I wasn't a freak. I wasn't... I was pure." He swallowed and dropped his eyes again. "If you hadn't taken my carrier, kidnapped me... I could have..."

"You could have "what, Alexei?" Alex snapped harshly. "You could have been a good little colonist and helped destroy all human life on the planet? You could have been a bounty hunter and helped kill the rebels among your people because they objected to genocide?" He paced forward, standing fully in the light as he neared the now cringing alien and stopped, fighting for control. His voice dropped to a conspiratorial whisper. "You could have been a good little alien terror, Alexei? You could help clear the planet of the miserable humans so your 'pure' race could take over? Maybe you'd end up in the big ships, getting human 'specimens' ready to be infected by the Oiliens, like a good little slave."

Alex strode directly in front of the horrified youngster, glaring into wide, moist green eyes from a foot away. "Well, fuck you," he hissed. "I will never stop, never apologize, for fighting, for interfering any way I can with your 'people' colonizing this planet."

Alexei stood before him, shaking, tears shining in the familiar green eyes as he bit his lower lip. "No." A hoarse whisper. Alexei shook his head, keeping his gaze on Alex. "You don't know... I would never..." He pulled in a shaky breath. "We aren't all like that, Alex. We aren't... monsters."

Alex saw tears falling unheeded down Alexei's cheeks as the youngster struggled for control. His jaw tightened in discomfort. Dammit, kid, don't look at me like that.

"We're not all bad," Alexei whispered. "We have good people... You said yourself, there are rebels, those that object. Like.. like Jeremiah Smith. He wasn't a killer. He risked himself to help others. And... and there are others, there have to be others..." He took a deep breath. "My parents..."

Alex sighed, ran a hand down his face in sudden weariness. "You don't have parents, Alexei. Parents imply two people mating and raising a child. You and your kind have no bodies of your own. You have to use humans to walk around on the surface."

The alien's green eyes flashed. "That's not true! On our planet, we have our own shapes. It's just on Earth we have to wear your forms!"

Alex grimaced and inclined his head in concession. From what he understood, the aliens did have semi-solid forms of their own off Earth, and when they were mixed properly with human DNA in the tanks their bodies were solid and strong here on Earth.

"I'll give you that, Alexei, but you can't build them up as this wonderful, superior species with all the answers. I've worked with them, believe me, they're as quick to kill each other as to kill a human. They don't have the same bonds we do."

Alexei took several deep breaths, regaining composure. He tossed his chin up defiantly. "This from an assassin." He immediately flinched at the withering look Alex gave him, and lowered his face.

"You don't know, Alex." Alex had to strain to hear his soft voice. "You don't know anything of our family bonds, or our sense of loyalty. Maybe my people are trying desperately to find me. You may be right about my parents, but there's still the rebels." His eyes took on a brighter gleam as hope returned. "We could be a tremendous asset to them, Alex. They must be delighted that I have survived as I have. It gives them a better chance of fighting." His eyes shone as he warmed to the possibility. "They could take us in, protect and teach us. Think of the things they could show us, Alex! Technology humans haven't even dreamed of yet." Alexei's familiar face suddenly looked even younger as he looked at Alex imploringly. "Alex, we could be safe, we wouldn't have to hide and live like fugitives anymore. And just think of the knowledge we'd have! Think of what you could offer Mulder if you were working side by side with my people!"

We? We could be safe? Alex raked a hand through his air and sighed. They'll take us in with open arms, shower us with love and knowledge... God, was I ever that naive? That desperate to believe? His jaw tightened. If I was, I didn't take long for me to learn reality. And it's time this alien learned the facts of life, before he gets us both killed.

"Alexei, even if we found any rebels, they're fugitives themselves. They can't be your saviors, Alexei. They're running for their lives, too. Not only do they have to hide from every government on earth, but from their own superiors. And frankly, when they have tried to run an operation, they've been found and eliminated every time. They can't protect us."

Alexei cocked his head. "Every time? How can you know that? You just know about the times they have been found, you don't know how many are going on undetected."

Alex smiled ruefully and gave him a slight nod. He scowled again before the relieved smile could fully form on Alexei's face. "It's a moot point anyway. I am not going near any damn aliens, Alexei."

"But... I need..."

"I don't give a fuck! I want you out of me, parasite, now! You need them, you get your slime out of me and find them on your own."

"I can't. I can't survive..."

"Not my problem, parasite. You aren't staying inside me."

Alexei's face was anguished. "Alex, can't we...?"

"No."

"Alex," hesitant. "The rebels, they could help, they would know how to separate us. They could get me out without hurting either of us."

Alex's eyes narrowed suspiciously. "How do you figure that?"

"With their knowledge, the right equipment, I could..."

Alex felt his face flush in anger. "You little shit! You mean you can get out of me if you want to."

Alexei took a couple steps back. "No. Not without help. Not without the proper equipment." He held a hand out to Alex beseechingly. "Alex, please, if I tried, it would kill us both. I can't do it alone. I'm not sure I can do it even with their help. Please, believe me."

Alex growled and spun away, pacing in a tight circle as he thought furiously. He looked up to see Alexei watching him anxiously. "I hate this, Alexei!"

"I know."

"Even if I believe you, how are we supposed to convince them not to kill us on sight, let alone help us?"

Alexei looked down, his face tight in distaste. "I know a way."

"What?" Alex's hands closed into fists and his vision locked down onto the alien as his instincts told him to attack. "Talk to me, Alexei. What are you talking about? What do you have that would buy their help?"

Alexei bit his lower lip and vaguely shook his head. He started backing away, out of the curve of amber light from overhead and back into the velveteen darkness.

"Goddammit, how are you going to convince them, Alexei?" The low words caused a shudder to ripple through the young alien's form, but he merely stepped farther from his host.

"Come back here!" Alex lunged forward, but there was nothing there, just a deep darkness that was slowly dissipating like a dream.

Alex swore loudly as the surrounding darkness faded from his inner vision. He gradually came aware of Mulder calling his name, and the fact that his body was cold. The warmth of Mulder's hand on his shoulder was welcome, almost as welcome as the look of concern on Mulder's face as Alex opened his eyes to look at him.

Mulder took a deep breath, let it out slowly. "Alex? What happened? Is there a problem? Was it Alexei?"

Alex's eyes narrowed. He searched Mulder's face, looking for some sign, some small clue that would tell him if Mulder was hoping he was the alien. It would be just like Mulder and his damn one track mind to want the alien to be here, to be up front where Mulder could question him.

"Alex, are you all right?" Soft, soft voice.

Anybody that didn't know Mulder would think that he was in complete control as he stared at his angry lover. In their time together as partners Alex had learned how to read the subtle changes in Mulder's face. And it was subtle, but those beautiful, warm eyes held fear. Mulder was frightened, frightened for him.

And suddenly Alex couldn't face him. It was too much. Too much to realize that he could finally have this, that he could be trusted, cared about, by this man, to know that he could get this close and lose everything to the subtle chemical manipulation of a damned other-world parasite was too much.

Alex pushed himself to his feet abruptly, forcing Mulder to remove his hand in order to keep from falling over from his unsteady crouch."We're running out of time, Mulder."

Mulder felt something tighten at the base of his neck at the soft, throaty voice. "Was it Alexei, Alex? Did he try to take over?"

Alex shook his head, looking at the far edge of the clearing. He started toward the cabin, not bothering to put his clothes back on. Mulder reached out and snagged Alex's arm as he started past. "Talk to me, Alex. What's happening?"

Alex raked a hand through his hair and exhaled. He turned haunted green eyes to Mulder. "The little shit wants to find his 'family', Mulder." He snorted slightly. "His 'people'... Shit, Mulder, the damn parasite doesn't even act like an alien. Who the hell does he think he is, ET?"

"I don't think my cell phone can reach Mars," Mulder said dryly.

Alex shook his head, looking down. "It's not Mars, it's just to the left..." He looked back up at Mulder sharply with a frown. "Damn it, every time the little shit starts digging in my mind he pulls up images I don't remember, things I know nothing about." He shook his head.

Mulder frowned. "Humans are constantly getting information from our surroundings, way too much to process. We only retain ten percent of the impressions we receive daily, and only a small portion of that is conscious. He must be going through stuff you picked up when you were with the Consortium without really paying attention to it."

"You'd fucking think I'd pay attention to something like where the aliens are from!"

"Why? Maybe you heard it while you were doing something else, maybe you only heard a faint scrap of conversation." Mulder sucked in his bottom lip, bit it lightly. "And it may be a false memory."

Alex's eyes widened, then narrowed angrily. "You mean he's giving me fake information?"

"No. I doubt he's doing it deliberately. But I get the impression he's still young, he may be making mistakes."

"That's just great," Alex growled. "Meanwhile, the little shit wants to find the aliens." He shook his head angrily.

Mulder's eyebrows rose. "Does he know how?"

Alex took a step back, glaring at the sudden gleam in Mulder's eyes. "Uh uh, G-man, forget it. He is not leading you to them. No way. In case you've forgotten, I'm a freak. You think they went after the clones hot and heavy, that's nothing to the hard on they have for me and my inner shadow."

"You don't know they want to kill you."

"He claims they would help. He says that they could separate us, all he needs is the right facilities and he could slip out of me."

"What does he need? Is it something we can come up with?"

Alex ran a hand through his hair in frustration. "Hell, I don't know, Mulder. He was pretty scarce with details. He says he needs to find the aliens."

"Can we do that?"

"Read my lips, Mulder. No way in hell! I don't have much of a life, but I'm rather attached to it, I'm not going anywhere near those things."

"But you know how to find them?"

"Fuck you, Mulder!" Alex turned to stalk away. Mulder reached out and grabbed his arm. Alex spun toward him with a snarl, holding back his instinctive strike with an effort. Anyone else, anyone other than Mulder, would have been on the ground writhing in agony now for daring to grab Alex like that.

Mulder saw it. He swallowed his own frustration, and the instant anger that went with it. He met Alex's angry stare evenly, and his own eyes softened as he stared into flaring green eyes. The muscle in the side of Alex's jaw twitched, but he couldn't hold his anger, not looking into those soulful hazel eyes; he never could, not even when they looked at him with anger and contempt, not even after Mulder had just beaten him. He couldn't, he could not, stay mad at this man.

Alex forced his muscles to relax and it was obvious his calm tone was costing him an effort. "I'm not going near them, Mulder." He shook his head. "Not even for you."

Mulder nodded solemnly. "I won't ask you to." He released his grip on Alex's arm, instead resting a hand on either of Alex's upper arms. His eyes dropped momentarily, looking at Alex's chest as his hands gently ran up and down the younger man's arms soothingly. Mulder raised his eyes to look into Alex's face. "It's not worth the risk."

Alex cocked his head slightly to the side. Mulder never gave up this easily, not when he really wanted something, not when it might lead to his precious "truth". Alex's eyes narrowed, studying the man in front of him, looking for the trick, the deception, but wanting to believe it was real, desperately wanting to trust someone, especially this man.

Mulder read the longing in Alex's eyes and he kept his own gaze locked on Alex's, willing him to believe. "I care what happens to you, Alex. I... I think I might more than just care about you." He pulled Alex against him, his warm breath whispered into Alex's ear as he wrapped his arms around him protectively. "Don't shut me out, Alex. I want to help you."

Leaning the side of his face against Mulder's shoulder, feeling his arms around him, hands rubbing gentle circles on his back, Alex's eyes suddenly felt hot and tight with threatened tears. He took a deep breath, widening his eyes to forestall the tears. He shook his head slightly, mouth opening, even though he had no idea what he wanted to say. "Mulder... I..."

Mulder pressed his soft lips to the back of Alex's neck, kissing him gently. "Trust me, Alex."

Alex wrapped his arms around Mulder firmly. He turned his face into Mulder's neck, breathing in his scent deeply. "I always have."

Mulder pulled back slightly so he could look into his lover's face. "I won't lose you, Alex, not now." He leaned forward and brushed his mouth over Alex's, his lips soft, gently coaxing, offering comfort that Alex desperately wanted to accept.

For a moment, Alex let himself get lost in the sensation, in the warmth offered to him. Fox surrounded him; his smell, the arms holding him tightly, his taste as he claimed Alex's mouth and soul... and nothing else mattered. But only for a moment.

Mulder groaned softly as Alex slowly pulled his head back, gasping in breath as his mouth withdrew from Mulder's reluctantly. "Mulder, we can't... there isn't time..."

Mulder swallowed heavily, took a deep breath before he could remember how to talk. "Alex... God..." He licked his lips, took another breath. "You're right. We can't do this now." He touched Alex's cheek gently. "Try and talk to Alexei, Alex. Get him to tell you just what he needs to pull out of you. Maybe we can create the right facilities, you won't need to go near any aliens."

Alex closed his eyes and nestled his cheek against Mulder's palm. He stood still for a minute then looked back into Mulder's warm gaze. "He's shut himself away, Mulder. I can't talk to him."

Mulder's mouth tightened in frustration then he pulled Alex in for a gentle kiss. "Maybe later."

Alex nodded. "We need to get moving, Mulder."

"Okay."

After one more kiss, Mulder moved back from Alex and began gathering his clothes. Alex knelt to grab his own. As Alex was pulling his boots on, Mulder grinned over at him. "How are your feet?"

Alex frowned and looked down at the smooth bottoms of his feet, unblistered, even after he foolishly chose to go running in boots. Despite what he had told Mulder earlier, he remembered running in boots in the Army, he knew his feet should have been red and sore by now. Damn, what would the military give to have soldiers able to heal from almost any injury, even those caused by sadistic drill sergeants? He shook his head, refusing to follow that thought. "They're fine, Mulder. That's the only benefit to having this little shit inside me, he won't let me be hurt."

Mulder bit his bottom lip. Alex would not appreciate being reminded that Alexei considered it his body as well, and probably didn't like pain any more than Alex did.

They started back to the cabin, walking side by side in companionable silence. A full moon had risen just over the trees and it's ghostly light cast its reflection on every blade of grass, so the field appeared to be filmed by a frost far out of season. The lover's moonshadows were a blot on the faux frost before them. As they walked, their shadows floated ahead of them so that no step they took was on the carpet of moonlight but, instead, they treaded on a cushion of darkness of their own making.

xx

On getting back to the cabin Mulder immediately dragged Alex upstairs to the bathroom, where he made very sure that Alex was thoroughly clean for meeting with Bailey. Of course Alex had to return the favor.

They both dressed hurriedly in suits and were heading out the door when Alex suddenly pulled away from Mulder. Mulder watched in confusion as Alex pulled Mulder's long wool coat and a larger leather coat from the hall closet.

"Alex, I don't think leather is quite the look Bailey was wanting when she invited us to dinner at Byliny's, and it's not that cold out."

"No, but we need the coats to ride the bike."

"The bike? Alex, my car is out front, we don't need to ride the motorcycle."

"I do."

"You've suddenly developed a phobia of riding in a Bureau car?"

Alex looked at him out the corner of his eye. "I tend to have bad luck with them, but that's not it."

Mulder sighed and leaned back against the doorjamb. "What is 'it'?"

"I need the distraction of driving the bike." Alex pulled Mulder's wool coat on.

"I think I could let you drive the car, Alex... and that's my coat."

"No, I want to drive the bike, it takes more concentration." Alex handed Mulder the long leather Duster. "It's Jaak's, so it's a bit big, but it will protect you and your suit."

Mulder scowled. "What's wrong with me wearing my own coat?"

Alex sighed, picking up the bike helmet from the closet. "Mulder, the leather is a lot better protection in case of an accident." He turned and held the helmet out. "The wool's fine for me. Not like I can get permanently hurt."

Mulder jerked the oversized leather on. "This is stupid, Alex." He paused and scowled at Alex. "There's nothing wrong with taking the car."

Alex's mouth tightened as he stared Mulder down. "I. want. to. take. the. bike. Mulder."

Mulder shrugged, took a step closer and accepted the bulbous helmet from Alex, offering him a conciliatory grin. "Okay, Alex." He turned the helmet over in his hands before raising his face to Alex again. "I could distract you in the car, make it so hard for you to concentrate our lives would be in danger," Mulder offered with a smile.

Alex looked back over his shoulder from shutting the closet door. A tiny smirk flirted with Alex's lips then disappeared. "We'd never make it, Mulder. The bike's fine."

"But last time I got a bug in my mouth." Mulder pouted, ever so slightly.

Alex slapped him on the shoulder. "Congratulations, you're a biker."

Mulder frowned and ran his hand unconsciously over his lips, remembering spitting out bug parts. "I hate bugs," he grumbled.

"Bugs are an acquired taste, I believe."

"Like them, do you?" Disgusted, Mulder snatched up his buff leather gloves.

"De-licious. Especially pan-fried." Alex smacked his lips appreciatively.

"You're disgusting, you know that?"

"I try." This said with suitable modesty.

"Do you always have to be an over-achiever though?"

"Just shut up and lock the door behind you, Mulder." Alex walked out the door, leaving Mulder to follow.

Driving the bike, Alex felt better. The powerful bike weaving in and out of traffic at full speed was a welcome distraction from thinking about Alexei, or aliens, or how he would deal with leaving Mulder once the alien was eliminated. He hadn't really expected Mulder to accept him as easily as it appeared he had. When he started on this course, he had thought that he could buy Mulder's help with information, and with the bait of working with and around an alien, he hadn't really expected for Mulder to act like his friend. Hadn't let himself hope for anything more intimate, yet, here they were... and Alex didn't want to think about it ending.

But the bike was perfect. Out on the highway traffic loomed all around them, pale circles of head lights and highly polished rear fenders everywhere as cars came crowding around the big bike, like moths hungry for the Harley's pale, gleaming silver skin and hypnotic howl. Watching the sometimes careless cars kept Alex too busy to think. He felt as if he were in a crystal-clear bubble amid a maelstrom of sound and speed, unnaturally alone in a vast natural world and yet not alone.

A motorcycle was no bicycle built for two; it was the eye of its own howling hurricane. No matter how cozy motorcycle couples looked, pasted to each other as they were, Alex found it was really a solitary ride. No matter how well Mulder might project his voice, Alex wouldn't be able to hear him.

That must have frustrated the hell out of Mulder too. At one point he must have seen something he wanted Alex to notice, because he removed one hand from inside Alex's coat pocket to point. A passing gray Ford Taurus sped by so fast and close Mulder almost became a candidate to be known as "knuckles" for the rest of his life. He immediately stuffed his errant hand back into Alex's pocket, and kept his hands inside the rest of the ride.

They couldn't talk, but Alex was acutely aware of Mulder's arms clenched around him, and of his warmth pressed firmly against Alex's back. Mulder was there for him, Mulder wanted to help him, wanted to hold him, maybe even... Alex shook his head before the thought could even form. Mulder was here, it was enough. Alex was solitary, but he wasn't really alone, not now. He leaned back slightly and eased off the throttle, slowing their progress just a little, wanting to hold this feeling a bit longer.

As they got onto city streets again Alex slowed the bike to a more docile speed and Mulder relaxed a little. He loosened his death grip around Alex's waist and slid his hands under Alex's jacket. He ran his hands slowly over Alex's chest and belly in random patterns. By the time they got to the restaurant, ten minutes late, Alex had all but forgotten his problems, at least for awhile.

The big bike was almost embarrassingly loud in announcing its arrival in front of the restaurant. The valet watched in surprise as the bike grumbled to a halt, gleaming like irradiated platinum under the bright lights. He grinned as the two men climbed off and accepted the keys eagerly. He forced his face into professional detachment at the glower Alex gave him while handing the keys over. Alex began cursing softly and glared as the bike pulled away from the curb like a race horse from the gate. Mulder laughed, grabbed Alex by one arm and pulled him toward the front doors. To Mulder's obvious amusement, Alex was still grumbling when they turned in their coats and Mulder's helmet to the coat room. Mulder's grin didn't even diminish as Alex turned a scathing look on him.

When they maitre d' led them to her table Bailey looked as pulled together as she always did. She was lithe, trim, stylish in an indigo sheath dress, and her shoulder length, dark auburn hair fell down in luxurious waves. The sheath dress, with its straight lines and long skirt, was hardly a revealing garment, especially with the matching short jacket, yet it emphasized her lovely figure and her own innate sense of class. A short rope of pearls lay against alabaster skin. Her eyes lit up, and a warm smile came over her face as she saw Alex coming toward them. Sitting beside her in a dark suit, Jaak Danko nodded politely to Mulder then Alex.

Alex stopped at the edge of Bailey's table, frowning at the dinner crowds surrounding them. "Bailey, do you really think it's a good idea for us to meet here?" Alex started without preamble. "You might have been followed, and this is too open."

Bailey tilted her head in silent reproof, then frowned delicately. "Alex Krycek, I know your mother taught you better manners than this." She reached a delicate, beautifully manicured hand out to Mulder. "Bailey Reshenie," she introduced herself.

Mulder took the offered hand, fighting to keep a grin off his face. "Fox Mulder."

"I'm so pleased to finally meet you," Bailey's smile was warm and sincere. "I've heard so much about you. Please, sit down." With a mildly reproachful look at Alex, she indicated that Mulder should sit in the chair to her right.

Ignoring the rueful look on Danko's face at his faux pas, Alex rubbed a hand across the back of his neck and sighed before coming around the table. He leaned down and placed a light kiss on Bailey's cheek. "Sorry, Bailey," he said quietly. "I know you've taken precautions. I'm just a little tense right now."

Bailey smiled gently. "I know, Alex."

Alex moved to sit beside his Fox. The low hum of conversation in the restaurant was constant, the clink of flatware against china like the sound of small bells ringing across the room. The food and the service were refined and flawless. The house special was exceptional, sauteed pork strips with peanuts, saffron rice and a nicoise salad, served with Chablis. Then for dessert, a rich creme caramel with brandy. Bailey kept drawing the men into pleasant conversation, subtly avoiding any of the many topical traps that could have created tension. She soon had all three men smiling and even laughing occasionally in relaxed companionship.

The restaurant's live band began playing softly by the dance floor just as they were finishing dinner. Bailey put her hand on Alex's arm. "Alex, the band is playing. You owe me a dance."

Alex remembered his promise to her when she snuck him out of her club, dressing him in drag to slip him by the MIBs hunting him. He grinned ruefully and gently squeezed her hand. "I do, don't I?"

She gave a soft smile. "You do, and I think I had better collect now." Her smile faltered a moment, then returned. "I have a feeling that whenever you find whatever you are looking for, you will be a hard man to keep track of for awhile." She forced the smile to widen. "And you know I've never been any good at waiting."

Alex lifted her wrist to his lips and kissed the delicately veined underside. He pressed the palm against his mouth for a lingering kiss, his eyes staring into hers. Mulder couldn't read the expression that passed between the two, but after a long moment Bailey's eyes dropped in an unspoken understanding.

The corner of Alex's mouth curled up like the end of a cat's tail. He stood carefully, still holding her hand.

"Shall we dance, my lady?"

Bailey's eyes lifted to his again and she smiled in pleasure. She stood and they moved onto the dance floor, leaving Mulder alone with Jaak Danko.

Alex wasn't at all surprised to learn that Bailey was a great dancer. Within a few minutes he found himself relaxing into the rhythm of the music and the sway of their bodies across the dimly lit floor. When he did look over at their table he saw Mulder and Jaak deep into some discussion. The thought of what the two men might be talking about worried him a bit, but there wasn't a whole lot he could do about it. Alex had learned early in life that trust was a fool's mistake, but if there was anyone in the world he might come close to trusting, these people were it. He pulled Bailey closer to his chest and rested his cheek on top of her head, his eyes closed in acceptance.

As they danced Alex felt Bailey's hands moving discreetly inside his jacket. She moved small items from inner pockets of her jacket into his. He knew when he looked he would find ID papers and a Zip back up disc. He had seen the Zip drive with Bailey's computer in the spare bedroom/den back at the cabin.

There was a pause in the music and Alex looked up to see Jaak standing at his shoulder smiling. Alex grinned back, gave Bailey a quick kiss and handed her over to his friend. Bailey reached out and rested a palm on his cheek. "If you need anything more, Alex, you have only to ask."

Alex gave her a small smile and nodded before turning back toward Mulder. He was surprised when he saw the look on Mulder's face. If he didn't know better he would have sworn that that was jealousy he saw on his lover's beautiful face. My, my, Fox... now just why would you object to me dancing with an old friend, even if she is beautiful? His grin grew wicked and, seeing it across the room, Mulder wiped his face clear of expression, effecting the bored look he was famous for.

He leaned on the table in a pose of studied nonchalance. There was nothing nonchalant, however, in those burning hazel eyes.

Alex stalked across the room, his eyes locked on Mulder's, radiating challenge and danger with every step. His grin grew as he saw Mulder start to squirm subtly.

He could feel his own cock thickening, a heavy weight between his legs as he looked at his former partner. What Alex felt for Mulder wasn't a normal love. It was an addiction. Both his mind and his libido were a mess. Raw heat. Those were the only words that could describe what he and Mulder shared. Alex burned with lust as he stared at him.

Then Mulder smiled. Not the soft, almost mocking smile Alex was used to, this smile was absolutely brilliant, warm with welcome and promise and ...love? Alex paused, studying Mulder for a moment with a different perspective.

The lights brought out the golden highlights in the soft brown hair, surrounding Fox's face with extraordinarily rich color. The room's gentle lights were kind to everyone, but when you were already as beautiful as Fox Mulder... and with the way Mulder was staring at him... Alex felt his lust turn to longing, felt a tightness in his chest.

He had to force himself to breathe, to take another step forward. It seemed surreal, seeing Mulder sitting there, so beautiful, waiting for him, his expression soft and affectionate... almost like a dream...

Alex froze, closing his eyes and fighting to control his breathing. Shit! What if this was a dream? What if the alien inside him was setting him up again? What if he... No! He couldn't do this! The alien had him questioning everything. If he couldn't even tell reality from dreams now... Alex shook his head, fighting back the fear that almost blinded him.

He raised his face and saw Mulder was on his feet, his face dark with concern as he moved toward Alex. Alex straightened and stepped toward him, then almost fell to the floor as a blinding pain screamed through him.

His stomach felt like it was trying to turn him inside out. His vision dimmed-brightened-dimmed again in an erratic rhythm as the pain raced through him. He gagged and the pain became unbearable. He groaned through his teeth as another wave of misery spread through him.

"Alex? What is it? What's wrong Alex?"

The pain receded as fast as it came on. Alex heard a distracted, rather harried sounding, whisper in his ear from the alien inside him. Sorry

What the hell, Alexei? What are you trying to pull?

No answer.

"Alex?" Mulder had his arm around Alex's shoulders, supporting him.

Alex drew in several deep breaths before turning dark, distressed eyes up to meet Mulder's, and shook his head. "I'm okay. Just... get me out of here, Mulder."

Mulder stared into the waxy, sweat sheened face, noting the way Alex's lips were so tight they were white. "Like hell! You're in pain, Alex. We need to call..."

Alex straightened, a muscle twitching in his tight jaw as he stared at Mulder. "I'm fine, Mulder. Drop it."

Mulder frowned, but resisted the urge to push it. This wasn't the place for questions. He'd get answers later, even if he had to beat them out of the stubborn Russian. He nodded and put his arm around Alex, facing forward before Alex could turn the full force of his glare on him. After an initial stiffness, Alex leaned against him, letting him take some of his weight as Mulder led him to the entrance. The Maitre d' offered to call an ambulance for them. Mulder refused, but asked the man to offer their apologies to Bailey. By the time they got out to the curb Alex was in better control, walking under his own power, but Mulder stayed close anyway.

The big Harley came rhur-rhuring up to the curb, and rumbled to a muffled roar before quieting entirely as the valet shut it down. Mulder darted forward to take the keys from the valet before Alex could. He ignored Alex's glower as he tipped the valet a dollar bill.

"Mulder..." Mulder turned back toward his lover's vexed voice, missing the dirty look the valet cast him or the grumbles directed at the "cheap bastard."

"Alex, you're in no condition to drive."

"And you don't know how, give me the keys, Mulder."

Mulder closed his fist on the keys and leaned back from Alex's clumsy grab for them. "Actually, I have driven before."

Alex frowned. "What?"

"I rode a friend's dirt bike a few times when I was fourteen. I'm pretty rusty, but..." a slow grin spread over his face. "You know what they say about learning to ride a bike."

"This isn't a dirt bike, and you weren't on a highway, Mulder."

"Either you let me drive, or we get a hotel room." He paused. "Actually, that's not a bad..."

"Fine. Get on the bike, Mulder." Alex threw a leg over the back of the Harley.

Mulder pulled his helmet on, flashing a triumphant, and beautiful, smile at Alex. Mulder settled himself in front of his disgruntled lover and paused to study the controls. Watching Alex handle this machine once was worlds different from driving it, and the glossy controls looked different from his dim memory of the cheap, rusted bike of his childhood. He heard a soft huff of breath from behind him. Alex's hand reached around him and pointed out the controls and pedals.

"Right handle is the throttle, Mulder. Left is the clutch. The left pedal is your gear shift, right is rear brake. Lever in front of the handle is front brake. When you want to go faster twist the right handle backwards, twist forward to slow down; be careful, cause it feels backward to some people and you can..."

"Right, yeah, yeah, I got it, Alex..." Mulder pulled his sinister looking visor down and shut himself into his own world. The bike roared into life under his command. A wide grin spread over Mulder's face. This would be fun!

Alex wrapped his arms firmly around Mulder's middle and settled himself as securely onto the bike as he could manage. Maybe this was a bad idea, a hotel room wouldn't be such a bad... He lost the thought as the Harley surged away from the curb like a rodeo bull out of the chute. The bike faltered a moment, then jumped forward roughly as Mulder got the feel of the controls. In moments they were out onto the city streets, ready or not.

Alex had always known about how motorcycles tilted this way and that as the rider's weight adjusted, but it was a whole different feeling when you weren't the one in control of the motorcycle, especially when you sat behind a novice driver. Stopping in time for lights became an adventure, and the bike gargled in protest at the inept handling. Mulder had no idea how fast to take the corners and had a little trouble figuring out just how far to lean into curves. He had them almost parallel to the ground at points, and twice they almost missed turns completely and went into the opposite lanes trying to stay upright. It felt like they were on a roller coaster as street lights and light traffic streaked by.

As they took one wide corner Alex had the distinct impression of someone looking over his shoulder. Alexei was sticking his virtual nose out of his hiding place to see what was up. Alex could sense the youngster's sudden excitement and pleasure with the scenes flashing past at a nauseating speed. As they took another corner he heard a shriek of childish pleasure in his head from Alexei at the roller coaster sensation. He growled, and Alexei's presence receded reluctantly.

By the time they got onto the highway again Mulder had the machine well under his control, and they began making good time back to the cabin. Passing cars became greased lightning as the wind pulled and pushed the bike to top speed, and Mulder was making the most of it. Alex fought to keep from getting sick. Pain and fear had made Alex's fingers stiffen inside their warm gloves, but that only locked his hands more firmly into position, and pressed him more firmly against Mulder, thigh to thigh, chest to back, warm cheek to chill leather. The wind, absorbed by Mulder ahead of him, still had plenty of pummel left in it for one ill feeling Alex Krycek.

The highway eventually became a road that swelled up and down, that curved gently left and right. Almost to the cabin Mulder slowed to a safe speed and Alex was able to release his death grip from Mulder's waist, relatively sure he wouldn't be tossed from the machine by an unexpected maneuver. He still felt vaguely nauseous, but much better than earlier. Right up until it started raining again just before they reached the private road to the cabin.

It was a conspiracy of darkness, as far as Mulder could tell. The forest lined road was dark enough in daylight, let alone night, and then it had to rain. And his helmet was making things worse. The visor was lightly tinted, deepening the darkness, but when he tried raising it he was near blinded by the heavy rain being driven into his face. He slowed the bike down even more, but the rain seemed to be getting worse, and he wanted to get out of it as soon as possible. Unlike cars, motorcycles offered no protection against the vivid lightning even now crashing just overhead.

Alex was a comforting presence up against his back, but Mulder was worried about him. He hadn't said anything, but he'd noticed the sudden grimaces of pain that had been coming more frequently in the younger man. He knew Alex had been without the alien nutrient juice he said Alexei needed for several days. From what little Mulder understood of the fluid, it was necessary for the alien's survival. It was a constant with all the hybrids and clones Mulder had ever come across. The lack of it had to be making Alexei ill, and as tied to Alex as he was, it was bound to hurt Alex as well. Thank God he'd had the Gunmen take a small sample of the fluid to a friend to be analyzed, and not depended just on the FBI. Within the next couple of days they should have it completely analyzed, and then they could begin tracking a source down. If all else failed, they'd just have to find a way to make their own. But he was hoping that tracking the ingredients would lead them to one of the alien labs, or maybe to the rebels.

A tree in front of the bike suddenly lit up incandescently as lightning singed the top branches, the fire quickly put out by the rain. Spots of white afterimage still flashed before his eyes as he fought to keep the bike on course. The near strike had startled a deer however, and it darted out in front of the purring Harley. The appearance of a three hundred pound animal directly in front of the bike was too much for the rookie motorcycle driver. Mulder tried to lean away as he turned the bike aside and into the grassy shoulder. Tires spun in the soft grass and the bike went over onto its side, skidding over the wet ground with a screaming engine and taking both men with it. The big Harley's head light wildly illuminated the trees flanking the road as it slid into them.

Alex tried to twist free as he felt the bike going over onto its side, still sliding toward an ancient forest giant. He hit the ground and rolled, coming to a crashing halt against a tree with a crunch he knew had to signal broken bones. Panic flared, but it was replaced almost instantly with a sense of inevitability that fell over him like a blanket of peace. His vision dimmed-brightened-dimmed in a dependable rhythm, but gradually the darkness was complete.

He woke to the sensation of a full bladder, but as he raised himself up from the surface he lay on the room seemed to tilt dangerously to one side. He almost groaned aloud at the dull throbbing at the back of his head, then realized his stomach didn't feel so good either. His mouth felt and tasted like a herd of gazelle had grazed on his tongue. He tried again to raise up, then surrendered with a heavy breath.

"Easy, Alex..." The voice came to him from a far distance. Mulder. Good, that meant Mulder was okay.

A strong arm slid under his shoulders and helped him sit up. Alex did groan this time. "Take it slow," Mulder murmured. "Here, try some water."

Alex felt the cool rim of a glass against his lips and opened to allow the fluid to trickle down his throat.

Alex looked up and blinked his eyes several times to clear his vision. "You okay, Mulder?"

Mulder's warm chuckle sent an answering warmth thrilling through Alex. "I'm fine, Alex. You're the one that tried to fly."

Alex looked into Mulder's beloved features, searching for sign of injury. Mulder was smiling at him in obvious relief. Alex noted two red lines running down Mulder's neck, scratches where the helmet and coat hadn't quite covered Mulder as the bike went down. Without thinking about it Alex reached one hand up to rest fingers gently over the area. He closed his eyes as a wave of nausea went through him. Alex missed Mulder's soft gasp of surprise as the faint burn from the scratches on his neck disappeared. As Alex's hand dropped away from him, Mulder reached up warily with his own fingers and felt for scratches that were no longer there.

Alex shook his head and looked back up at his lover blearily. "Who in the hell taught you to drive a Harley, Mulder?"

Mulder swallowed, and decided not to mention the apparently automatic healing. "Self taught. I watched a lunatic lover of mine," he murmured softly.

"Shit, Mulder, you should know better." Alex put out great effort and sat up all the way. He froze as his head threatened to float off to another plane. He lowered it and put his hands up to keep it in place. He could feel Mulder's arms wrap around him in support.

"Easy, Alex. You took a nasty blow to the head."

Something in Mulder's voice made Alex angle his vision up at him suspiciously. "How bad?"

Mulder swallowed audibly. "Um, well, it was pretty obvious you had a skull fracture."

Alex ran his hands over his scalp gingerly. He could feel the stickiness of drying blood, but there was no pain, no apparent injury. "I guess I owe Alexei one more." Inner tension crackled in the low, husky voice.

"Yeah," Mulder agreed softly. He ran a gentle hand down Alex's back. "You had me really scared, Alex."

"Sorry," Alex spoke distractedly. A thought came unbidden. What was Mulder's usual response when he was scared? He lowered his hands and looked at Mulder suspiciously. "What did you do, Mulder?"

A burning wash of color went up Mulder's face and he released Alex, standing by the couch. "Alex, it's obvious you're in trouble. I mean, you've been in pain a lot lately... you think I didn't notice? And then... you were hurt. Really hurt. Jesus, your skull was open, Alex!"

Alex closed his eyes and took a deep, calming breath. "You called Scully."

Mulder stood straight, his voice almost belligerent. "Yes."

Eyes still closed, Alex cocked his head at Mulder slightly. "You careful?"

"Jesus, Krycek! Yes, I was careful. Scully and I have been doing this for awhile."

Alex nodded. Opening his eyes, he stood shakily by the couch. Mulder was at his side in a heartbeat. "Where are you going?"

"I need to piss, and I need food, Mulder. Healing drains my resources."

"Okay, just lean on me, I'll help you."

Mulder all but carried Alex to the restroom then sat him at the kitchen table. Alex stuffed down three breakfast bars while Mulder made him peanut butter sandwiches. "It's fast, and it's high energy, Alex," he explained. Alex just nodded, not slowing his eating till he'd finished off three sandwiches in rapid succession. He was finished, washing the sticky food down with cold beer when Mulder came back down from the loft.

"I ran you a bath, Alex."

Alex frowned, then looked down at himself. He was covered in mud and leaves and as he shifted in his chair he was reminded of how stiff and sore he was. He offered Mulder a small smile in gratitude. "Sounds good."

Mulder got him upstairs with only a little difficulty, and much teasing about how tired he was of "carrying" Alex. They got to the door to the bathing area and Alex pulled away from Mulder. "I can manage from here," he informed Mulder seriously. Mulder let him pull back, but kept close.

Alex opened the door and a puff of warm, moist air flowed around him. He stepped into the bathroom unsteadily. The room was lovely. It had a double sink and mirrors with round white light bulbs edging it. The sinks were white marble with gold veins running through. Every faucet, every metal edge, gleamed silver. The floor was covered with a thick green carpet. A large, glass enclosed shower stall stood off to the side and a half-wall hid the stool.

The bathtub was by itself in an alcove with one wall consisting of beveled glass windows. Tall plants between the tub and the glass partially blocked the bather from anyone who might be in the nearby woods. Three marble steps led up to the black marble bathtub, which was big enough for four people.

Alex turned slightly and realized Mulder was right behind him. He arched an eyebrow at Mulder questioningly.

"Uh, I realized I forgot to move the clean towels up from the washer to the drier earlier today," Mulder said. "I'll do that and bring some up."

Alex nodded and started to peel his shirt off. He stopped when he saw Mulder still standing there. "Um, are you sure you'll be okay, Alex? I mean, you're still weak..." His face was so bland, his eyes so innocent, it made Alex smile.

"I'll be fine, Mulder." Alex's voice was soft and more intimate than the words themselves. "Go get the towels."

Mulder's pupils dilated as he looked at Alex, then he ducked his head quickly. "Yeah, uh, I'll... I'll be right back."

Alex chuckled as he watched Mulder back out of the bathroom. When the door was shut behind Mulder, Alex finished pulling his filthy clothes off. The suit was so soaked it was like peeling himself to get his shirts and underwear off.

Alex slipped into the bathtub gingerly. The water was hot, just this side of too hot. He sank into it up to his chin, fighting not to relax too much. It would be very easy to let himself sink completely into this warmth, let his weariness take over. He kept one hand on the edge of the tub and let the blessed heat soak into him and loosen sore muscles. After a couple of minutes he ducked his head under to get his hair wet.

He was looser, now he needed to get clean before he let the delightful water lull him into sleep. This was Bailey's house, consequently, there was a tray of toiletries on the far edge of the tub. He sorted through shampoos, soaps, bath crystals, and what looked like oils, searching for soaps that weren't too feminine.

Seeing the bath oils Alex realized why the water had such a silky feel. Mulder must have put some in the bath water to help Alex relax. Alex grinned fondly at the thought. He finally found a soap that smelled of herbs, not flowers, and a matching shampoo.

Alex washed his hair twice, sinking under the water and coming up for air. He scrubbed himself until he felt clean, then paused to relax back into the water and regain his strength. He must have been hurt worse in the bike wreck than Mulder was letting on, he'd never felt this worn out after any of the previous healings. Then again, he hadn't gone this long without Alexei's nutrient fluid before. No doubt it had been harder for Alexei to work his magic this time. Alex immediately squashed that train of thought. He would not feel guilty. Alexei had healed him for his own purposes, because he wanted Alex's body, that was all it was, Alex didn't owe the parasite anything.

The mirrors in the bathroom had cleared and Alex stared into the wall mirror at the end of the tub. He smoothed his thick sable hair back, noting idly that it had gotten longer. His eyes were enormous and a bright green in this light, the black lashes stood out on his pale face. He had lost more weight. The mirror Alex looked ethereal, unreal. But the food and warm water had finally started to revive Alex somewhat. He didn't feel as bad as when he first woke up on the couch.

Movement out the corner of his eye snapped his attention away from the mirror. Mulder had entered with two thick green towels. He closed the door behind him with a small smile. "Don't want to let the warm air out."

The corner of Alex's mouth curled up lazily. "Definitely not." He lounged back further in the tub, almost submerging himself again. His left hand trailed through the water languidly.

Mulder glided across the room and sat on the edge of the tub, placing the towels on one of the steps. He studied Alex silently for a moment, his expression turning tender as he took in Alex's relaxed state. "Are you feeling better now?"

Alex smiled lazily. "Yeah, it's amazing how much a bath can help."

Mulder nodded absently as he stared at the temptingly curved mouth. God, Alex was so beautiful, his face was masculine, yet there was a delicacy to his features that made him almost too pretty. His long wet hair was slicked back seal sleak. Mulder's gaze drifted over the high cheekbones and impertinent nose to the soft pink mouth and down. Alex's sweeping jawline going back to pointed ears just added to the elven quality of the man.

"Amazing..." Mulder trailed his fingers in the warm, silky water, his eyes losing focus as his gaze trailed down the elegant, golden body floating easily just in front of him.

Other the pale moonlight through the window, the only light was from the vanity across the room. Diffuse light hit the wall mirror and glimmered back onto the dark water. The movement of Mulder's fingers created small silver ripples that lapped at Alex lovingly. The flickering light danced over smooth muscles, shifting quicksilver next to the soft shadows caressing the hollows of his body. Mulder's long sensitive fingers drifted in apparently random movements that brought them drifting ever closer to the wet satin of Alex's hip.

Alex stared at Mulder's face, watching the sensuous mouth open slightly. He closed his eyes and let out a sigh as Mulder's tongue came out to wet his luscious bottom lip. Mulder's mouth was the essence of all erotic orifices, and Alex wanted it, wanted to kiss it, taste it, feel it on him, around him, he wanted...

Mulder's eyes flashed back to Alex's face as the younger man moaned softly. "What's the matter, Alex?" He leaned over Alex him anxiously. "Are you feeling faint?"

Alex opened his eyes. Mulder had leaned almost his entire upper body over the tub in his concern for Alex's safety, his right arm was braced on the far rim, the left near Alex's shoulder. His hip was so far over the water that if Alex touched him he was sure to fall in.

"I don't faint," Alex's voice was dark silk.

Mulder swallowed and wet his bottom lip again, making Alex's cock jerk involuntarily. Mulder smiled, and in that one simple expression, Alex knew he was thinking wicked thoughts. "That's good to know," Mulder whispered. He leaned down and brushed his lips over Alex's slowly, tantalizingly, sending his thoughts into a wild spin.

Alex reached out to put his hand behind Mulder's neck, intending to pull him in for a deeper kiss. Mulder fell into the tub, going completely under, only his feet sticking out. He landed on Alex, pulling him deeper as well.

"Shit, Mulder!" Alex struggled to pull himself out from under Mulder.

Mulder came up for air, his thick brown hair streaming water, and hanging down over his eyes. His mouth was open, and he looked as surprised as Alex had ever seen him. He struggled up onto his knees, hindered by Alex frantically trying to pull out from under him.

Mulder pushed the hair back from his eyes and stared at Alex, who had pulled his legs up and was glaring at him indignantly. Mulder started to laugh. The sound flowed through the room and played along Alex's skin like a velvet glove. Alex tried to hold his glare, but he couldn't. Mulder knelt there chest deep in water, fully clothed. He was soaking wet, and should have been ridiculous, but he wasn't. He was adorable, and very beautiful.

Alex sucked in a breath and stared. "God, Mulder, I love your laughter."

As if Alex had flipped a switch, the energy Mulder radiated became sexual, and it was directed toward him. He felt it touch him, felt his own body stir in response. The expression on his face was hungry, and there was a darkness in his eyes. Sex, for want of a better word, but much too primitive for vocabulary. A feral darkness that all men carried inside them, but tried to hide from the light of day.

Alex helplessly watched the water bead and run down Mulder's neck, to disappear under his shirt. He could see Mulder's dark nipples standing out starkly under the wet white cotton. His mouth unconsciously opened as he tried to pull in enough air.

The water curled and sloshed around them as Mulder scooted toward Alex. He stayed kneeling as he moved so close that his pants brushed against Alex's naked flesh. Alex shivered and closed his eyes again.

"Jesus, Mulder..."

Mulder reached out and ran his hand lightly over Alex, the lightest brush of fingers over his warm skin. "Say the word, Alex, and I'll go."

Alex's eyes flashed open. Mulder had moved so close Alex was staring at his neck. He watched the water bead on the silken skin then slide down to disappear in his shirt. Alex wanted to lick the water off his skin. He leaned into Mulder, and his voice came small and strangled, hoarse with all the words he couldn't find. "Don't go."

Mulder's hand came up to caress the back of Alex's head. Alex groaned and pressed his face to Mulder's warm neck. The need to taste him was too overwhelming to deny. Mouthing him softly, Alex trailed his hands slowly up Mulder's arms and then across to his chest. His mouth never left Mulder's neck, which was arched back sharply in pleasure as Alex began to carefully work at the buttons of his shirt. Mulder's breath was a bit ragged as he submitted to the sensual manipulation. While Alex's mouth was busy tasting and exploring every inch of exposed chest, he spread his hands wide, splaying his fingers as he stroked Mulder's sides, moving over his skin in slow, teasing lines. His hands stopped on either side of Mulder's waist as he felt Mulder give a hard shudder.

Alex looked up into Mulder's face and saw hunger, but he also saw hesitation. Mulder was afraid of hurting him, unsure how completely Alex had recovered. Alex kept his eyes on Mulder's face as he leaned forward to run his tongue over his skin, a slow, tantalizing caress as he tasted the man he would always want.

Mulder sighed and shut his eyes. His body was tight as he tried to hold still. Alex pressed his mouth against his skin, moved over to his nipples almost instinctively to suckle. Mulder's fingertips brushed over Alex's shoulders, sliding over wet skin and up to thread into the hair at the base of Alex's neck. He tried twice before he could find his voice. "I love you, Alex," he whispered hoarsely.

Alex froze. He shivered and glanced up warily. The look on Mulder's face caught the breath in his throat. Tenderness, need, amazement, and love.

"I love you, Alex," Mulder repeated more firmly. "I think I have for a long time."

Alex pulled back, his mouth gaping in shock, staring at Mulder like a drowning man. Mulder leaned forward slowly, and when Alex didn't react he touched his lips to Alex's gently. He kept the kiss light, then gradually got firmer until Alex's mouth opened. Mulder's tongue flicked into his mouth, and Alex's entire body responded, silvery sensations shivering through him. Mulder traced his tongue slowly around the inner edge of Alex's lips then slipped deeper, probing, exploring, and claiming. Alex tried to catch his breath, and caught Mulder's instead, hot and sweet and flavored with the taste of sunflower seeds.

With a groan, Mulder's lips released Alex's and moved down to claim his throat, his evening stubble leaving a burning trail along the soft skin of Alex's neck.

"Mulder..." Alex's gasp was little more than a shadow of sound passing between his lips.

Mulder pulled back, meeting Alex's eyes. The look on his face made Alex's chest feel tight. Emotions flowed over Mulder's open face. Tenderness, need, fear of rejection. Alex watched until it was too much, too honest. There was something like pain in those hazel eyes, something that Alex understood entirely too well.

He buried his face in Mulder's neck again. "You're still dressed," he said hoarsely. "It's my honest opinion that those clothes will have to go."

Mulder grinned and pulled back. He stood shakily in the tub, his hands going to the closures on his pants. Alex licked his partly open lips. "Let me," he asked softly.

Alex braced his hands on Mulder's rigid legs and crawled up them with deliberate slowness. He kept his eyes locked on Mulder's until he knelt before him, his face almost touching the shaft stretched firm and large under the tight, heavy cloth of Mulder's pants.

Alex leaned forward, laying his cheek against Mulder's straining cock. He felt the fine tremors run through his lover's body and began rubbing his face against him like a cat. A tortured groan came from above him. Alex looked up. Mulder's head was thrown back, his eyes closed. Alex grinned and had mercy. "Patience, baby, I'll take care of you," Alex murmured as he opened and peeled the wet pants down and off.

Mulder's face turned down to him, his eyes almost glowing with need. Looking up at him, Alex had an awareness of beauty so intense that his hands trembled. He steadied his hands by curving them around Mulder's calves, then glided them upward to the back of his thighs. Mulder's knees were locked in desperation. Corded muscles stood out on his thighs, rich and firm to the touch.

Alex's eyes took in Mulder reverently. "Krasivaya..." beautiful He leaned forward to bury his face into the area where Mulder's thigh met his groin and inhaled deeply. He felt Mulder shift his stance and brace his hands on Alex's shoulders in an effort to steady suddenly weak legs.

Alex came up and out of the water with a sound between a moan and a cry. He wrapped his arms around Mulder and pulled him down, twisting to keep from hurting him and rolling both of them in the water like an alligator.

They both came up gasping. Mulder pushed away from Alex to lean against the far edge of the tub. Alex was breathing so hard he was trembling. "God, Mulder, I need you," he rasped.

A slow smile crawled over Mulder's face. "Come here." Soft tone that promised a world of pleasure.

Alex crawled to him, his face just above the water, his eyes never leaving Mulder's. When he reached him, Alex crawled into Mulder's open arms and immediately buried his face in his lover's neck. "I love you, Mulder."

Mulder wrapped his arms firmly around the younger man and nuzzled as much of his face as he could reach. "I know, Alex... I know..."

Alex pulled his face back just enough to look into Mulder's face. "Mulder, I... can I..." he swallowed. "Mulder, I want to be inside you."

Mulder's eyes widened, and for just a minute, Alex thought he would refuse. Then Mulder nodded, and Alex breathed again.

"I've never done this before, Alex."

"It's all right, Mulder, I'll make it good, I promise. It's so incredible, having someone inside you... it can be beautiful, Mulder. It is for me when you're in me. I want you to feel that, moi liubiu."

Mulder gave a small nod, and Alex leaned up to kiss him long and slow. He ran his tongue over those sinfully beautiful lips and tasted him, rolling the scent of him, the feel of him in his mouth. He moved down and ran his mouth over Mulder's neck, and down his chest, nipping gently here and there, and always tasting. The movement of his hand matched his mouth. Slow and lingering, teasing along Mulder's body. When his hand closed around Mulder's engorged cock Mulder cried out, shuddering against him. "Now, Alex... please... now..."

Alex pulled back. "All right, baby." He kissed him once, soft and quick. "Turn over, brace yourself against the side."

While Mulder complied, Alex reached back for the tray of toiletries beside the tub. He snatched a small bottle of oil and turned back to his impatient partner. He ran his hands slowly down Mulder's sleek flanks and down to his buttocks, teasing.

Mulder looked back over his shoulder at him. "Dammit, Alex, now!"

"As you command..." Alex's voice came out in a sigh. He used his hands to spread Mulder's legs further and then smoothed the warm oil on and into him, gently easing him open.

Alex carefully penetrated Mulder with one long finger, and Mulder surged against his hand, simultaneously jolted and thrilled by the gentle invasion. After a moment there were two fingers inside him, gliding past the restricting muscle, going deeper, learning his most intimate secrets. Alex caressed the hard little gland hidden deep inside, and a scalding pleasure blazed through Mulder's body and continued as Alex stroked in and out of him.

Alex didn't give him time to come down. While Mulder was still high in the stratosphere of pleasure, Alex entered him. Mulder gasped and arched wildly, accepting the thick head, feeling his inner muscles slowly trying to adjust. He whimpered, feeling stretched to the limit. Alex soothed him with his hands and gentle words, kissing the back of his neck, running his tongue and lips over his skin.

Mulder's body gradually yielded to Alex, and his initial discomfort was replaced by a marvelous feeling of fullness as Alex eased into him slowly, so slowly, as though he were afraid of hurting him.

The feeling was amazing, but Mulder wanted more. "Please," he whispered. "I won't break, Alex. Please."

"I've wanted this so long, moi liubiu, so very long." Alex gave a final push and he was fully sheathed in the man he loved more than he thought possible.

Mulder pushed back, whimpering slightly, needing more. Alex gathered himself and began a steady rhythm.

Alex moved over him, in him, and Mulder wanted it. He drowned his senses in the essence of Alex. Alex filled all the cold, secret places, all the hidden, lonely places in his heart and mind and soul. It was in part what he had feared, this feeling of fulfillment with Alex Krycek. And still the wild sensations grew, hotter and brighter and more consuming, swelling until he burst into a million brilliant shards. "Alex!"

Alex heard him, felt the muscles spasm around him as Mulder came violently. Then his last shred of control snapped. He exploded, surging into Mulder with a hoarse cry, unable to think, unable to comprehend anything except the glory of the body pulsing around him. It was so good. So good, so perfect that for an instant all the darkness was banished from inside him. His soul felt clean, and whole and at peace for the first time since he was a child. He clung to the feeling, desperately wanting it to last. He collapsed onto and clung to Mulder. Holding him as if he might be able to absorb some of the goodness he'd found in him.

Reality slowly reasserted itself. Mulder twisted from under Alex and turned to look into his lover's face. Alex had turned himself so he was propped back against the edge of the tub. Mulder felt something tighten within him. Alex was crying silently, his head turned to the side, the teardrops leaking out through the barrier of lush eyelashes. Mulder reached up and gently wiped the tears away. Alex dropped his head, hiding his face in the curve of Mulder's shoulder. Mulder stroked his hands over Alex's smooth back softly, his mind unable to come up with anything to say.

Mulder held him close, stroking his hair, brushing his lips against his temple. He whispered to him, soft words, comforting words, his low purring voice almost as tangible a caress as his hand as he promised Alex that it was all right, that whatever it took, he would make things right. Alex merely sighed and pressed himself more firmly into his warmth.

Alex would have felt a lot better if he hadn't also heard Alexei offering his own quiet, gentle assurances.

xx

cking828@aol.com

cking828@aol.com
Pairing: M/K
Rating: NC 17 This containes m/m sex and relationship, so please use discretion if you don't like slash.
I need to thank my beta readers, Shawna and Katy Deery. They have worked hard to make this story possible. I think this chapter took eleven re-writes. Shawna, especially, has shown amazing patience with me. They tried, and after I posted, I changed a few things due to some negative feedback I got, so anything that doesn't ring true or seems a bit off is 100% me. They are not to blame. I fixed things, ( I hope I fixed things), without consulting them. If a scene works, they undoubtedly had a say in it, if not, it was me.
I am an eclectic and ravenous reader, and I get ideas from all over the place, so if I inadvertently get too close to any one else's work I swear it is unintentional and I apologize. Archive: Please at TER/MA and the Basement. The previous chapters are posted on TER/MA and at the soon to be gone Archive X.
Katy Deery has also very graciously given me my own space on her web site. I would encourage people to go there anyway, because Katy is an incredible writer, and the reason I got into M/K slash writing in the first place. You can find her at http://www.night666.demon.co.uk
Summary: Krycek seeks Mulder's help in dealing with a "little" alien problem. This is chapter Seven in a series. It isn't finished yet. I am sorry, I know some people hate Works in Progress, but I hope to finish next chapter. And I WILL write a finish, even if it kills me.

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]