Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
864
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
1,549

Dragons

Summary:

Fighting A Dragon...

Work Text:


Dragons
by Sam-Tony

 
"What..."  Sam looked up, and up, and up until emerald green scales thinned out, turning into brilliant red eyes set glaring over a snout currently breathing smoke.  *Not fire, there's a plus.*  "...the hell?  GABRIEL!"
 
"You bellowed?"  The trickster popped in, grinning.
 
Sam turned toward the archangel and accused sharply, "What the hell is that?"
 
"It's a dragon."
 
Sam took a breath, reminded himself who he was dealing with, and tried again.  "I know that, but what's it doing here?  You know what?  Scratch that - what am *I* doing here?"
 
"Uh, you're going to fight the dragon?"  Gabriel rolled his eyes, the motion not even beginning to hide the pleased smirk twinkling in his eyes.  "That's what Knights do.  They fight dragons."
 
"*I* 'm not a Knight!"
 
Gabriel just tilted his head to the side, apparently unconvinced.
 
Reason.  Try for reason.
 
"Ooookay.  How am I supposed to fight the dragon when all I'm wearing is what I went to sleep in?"  Looking down at his boxers and tshirt, bare feet and not a weapon in sight, Sam thought he might have made his point - and felt his heart sink as the twinkle only grew brighter.  There was that dreaded snap and suddenly he was clothed neck to knee in medieval clothes, complete with chain mail, sword and shield.
 
Oh.  Crap.
 
"What did you just do?"
 
"Well, you were right; if you're going to fight a dragon, you obviously need a sword."
 
Sam supposed he should be grateful Gabriel decided to give him clothes and boots, too, instead of just the sword.
 
The dragon snorted above his head and he tried not to do anything that might piss it off - how did one go about NOT pissing off a dragon conjured by an archangel again? - while slowly shifting away.  He was about to try and convince the archangel he'd had his fun and it was time to get out of here, only to take his eyes from the very large dragon and find Gabriel dressed in...robes?
 
He really, really wanted to wake up now.
 
Unable to stop himself, he said,  "Let me guess..."
 
"Duh, Sammy, every knight needs a magician to help him - "
 
"Slay dragons?"
 
The trickster winked.  "Now you're getting it."
 
"Yeah, look - I shoot guns,"  Sam reminded him.  "I mean, bows and arrows, maybe - but I have no idea how to use a sword!"
 
"Don't worry, it'll come to you,"  Gabriel assured him.  Smacking him on the back sent him stumbling toward the dragon who took the sudden movement as an attack and immediately breathed out a line of fire at him.  Sam barely got the shield up in time.
 
"Just think of it as practice for the Apocalypse!"  Gabriel called out cheerfully.
 
Wait - what?  He was going to have to use a sword during the Apocalypse??
 
Sam was too busy dodging, ducking, rolling, and outright throwing himself out of the way of fire, teeth and claws to answer him.  Which was probably a good thing, since - for the moment - he had enough with only the dragon to worry about.  Working around, it took a couple of hesitant swings to get the balance and length of the sword right, Sam finally hitting more than air with a shallow slice along the vulnerable belly.
 
The shriek of rage was NOT a good sign and Sam immediately began backpedaling, only to have the dragon breathing what turned out to be an entire river of fire down on him.  Hunkered down under his shield, it was all he could do to hold it in place above him; his hands already burning from the transfer of heat, the air already burning in his lungs.
 
"Ga - "  He tried to call out, and found he couldn't.  He only chocked on the word and began coughing out the little air he did have.
 
"Hey!  You!  Bad, dragon!  BAD!  I didn't say you could fricassee my knight!  Take that!"
 
Only when the heat was gone and he heard birds chirping did Sam peek out from under his makeshift shelter, fully emerging when he didn't see the dragon anywhere.  It wasn't like he could miss something that big...
 
A sharp merp! turned him around to find Gabriel back in street clothes, holding the dragon in his hand; only now it looked a lot like Puff the Magic Dragon from the cartoon, its little wings fluttering at the scratch the angel was currently applying under its chin.
 
"See?"  Gabriel smirked.  "Told you you needed a magician to fight a dragon."
 
He opened his mouth, just for one second fully intending on giving the angel a piece of his mind and screw the danger, only to spot the soft look as his fingers gently scratched between the miniature dragon's wings.
 
"Cute little buggers, aren't they?"  Gabriel grinned.
 
Sam found himself shaking his head and smiling that same soft smile as he crossed the distance, his bare feet sinking into the soft grass, hand already reaching out to be sniffed before the dragon stretched out his neck for him to scratch, too.
 
"Yeah.  When he's not trying to kill me,"  Sam agreed, looking Gabriel in the eye as he admitted.  "He is."
 
 
 

End