Ask the Minotaur
Search the Database
Browse the Database


Your search turned up 30 hits

Latin from Manhattan asks,

I'm fascinated by the term and the concept of "le petit mort", where someone becomes so overwhelmed by the pleasure of sex that he/she loses consciousness. Is this more common among men or women? I'm planning to write a ST slash starring Picard/Riker where Picard succumbs to "le petit mort" when he climaxes, causing Riker to panic and think he's killed him. Since Picard has an artificial heart, would the symptoms of heart failure be similar to "le petit mort" (hence Riker's panic)? How long does the person remain unconscious? Would CPR help revive them, or would smelling salts do? How often DO people die of heart failure during sex, anyway? Are they usually older people with a previous history of heart trouble? Or younger people cheating on their spouses or lovers? (I understand guilt plays a big part in coital heart failure).


Dear Latin from Manhattan,

While "le petit mort" literally translates as "the little death", this is really a metaphorical and literary conceit. The experience of orgasm is being compared to that of dying - it doesn't really happen.

While an orgasm can be intense, and some people may momentarily "gray out" during or afterwards, I have never heard of someone actually losing consciousness. I have known men that will immediately afterwards roll over and fall asleep like the dead... if the dead could snore. If they do pass out, it's much more likely to be the fault of alcohol, rather than "le petit mort".

I don't know, and couldn't find, any statistics on heart failure during sex that looked trustworthy. But I would assume that if a person were to actually suffer a cardiac event during sex, smelling salts wouldn't do much good.

I've also never heard that guilt plays any part in coital heart failure - this sounds like an urban legend to me, or a modern morality lesson. If a person's heart is strong, guilt won't make it any weaker. Stress is indeed a contributing factor in many heart attacks - but as a long-term thing, slowly weakening the heart and in general worsening the health. Yes, a person who's heart is already weak can be shocked into a heart attack, but I don't think the "guilt" of cheating on a spouse would have that kind of immediate jolting effect.

-- Minotaur




Slayerette asks,

What is a cock ring? How does a cock ring work?


Dear Slayerette,

A cock ring is a strip of some material such as leather, or a ring made from metal, plastic or some other stiff material. It works by encircling the base of the balls and penis, tightly enough to restrict but not cut off blood flow. This means that with a cock ring on, a guy will get harder, stay hard longer, and take longer to reach orgasm.

There are many different types of cock rings. For a good selection, visit mgleather.com and take a look in the "cockring" section of their catalog.

-- Minotaur




Morgan asks,

I read a MMF threesome story recently where one of the guys put a little lube in the tip of a condom before rolling it on. When she asked why, the other man said it increases sensitivity, because the first guy wasn't circumcised.

So, I have two questions: Is that true? And does circumcision really make a difference to what sex is like?


Dear Morgan,

Sort of true. Putting a small dab of lube in the tip of the condom is a common practice to make it feel less like the condom is there - and thus increase the pleasure for the guy - and it works weather or not he is circumcised.

As for the difference circumcision makes - there is a lot of talk about this issue. But like so many other very personal things, nobody can really know unless they have themselves tried it both ways. Not being cut does make the head of the cock more sensitive, but this also means that it is more easily hurt as well.

-- Minotaur




Bev asks,

I am not a writer, but, just curious about something. I have read several fanfics where the guys are in gay bars and they are having sex, either anal or oral, in the bar. Is it common to have a bar that caters to this sort of activity?


Dear Bev,

Common, no. But most cities that have more than a couple of gay bars will have one where the "code of conduct" is looser, and fun stuff goes on in the dark corners. This is less common nowadays than it was back in the 70s and early 80s - then it was quite common in big cities. But you can still find this kind of bar in places like New York, San Francisco or LA.

-- Minotaur