Ask the Minotaur
Search the Database
Browse the Database


Your search turned up 9 hits

Latin from Manhattan asks,

I'm fascinated by the term and the concept of "le petit mort", where someone becomes so overwhelmed by the pleasure of sex that he/she loses consciousness. Is this more common among men or women? I'm planning to write a ST slash starring Picard/Riker where Picard succumbs to "le petit mort" when he climaxes, causing Riker to panic and think he's killed him. Since Picard has an artificial heart, would the symptoms of heart failure be similar to "le petit mort" (hence Riker's panic)? How long does the person remain unconscious? Would CPR help revive them, or would smelling salts do? How often DO people die of heart failure during sex, anyway? Are they usually older people with a previous history of heart trouble? Or younger people cheating on their spouses or lovers? (I understand guilt plays a big part in coital heart failure).


Dear Latin from Manhattan,

While "le petit mort" literally translates as "the little death", this is really a metaphorical and literary conceit. The experience of orgasm is being compared to that of dying - it doesn't really happen.

While an orgasm can be intense, and some people may momentarily "gray out" during or afterwards, I have never heard of someone actually losing consciousness. I have known men that will immediately afterwards roll over and fall asleep like the dead... if the dead could snore. If they do pass out, it's much more likely to be the fault of alcohol, rather than "le petit mort".

I don't know, and couldn't find, any statistics on heart failure during sex that looked trustworthy. But I would assume that if a person were to actually suffer a cardiac event during sex, smelling salts wouldn't do much good.

I've also never heard that guilt plays any part in coital heart failure - this sounds like an urban legend to me, or a modern morality lesson. If a person's heart is strong, guilt won't make it any weaker. Stress is indeed a contributing factor in many heart attacks - but as a long-term thing, slowly weakening the heart and in general worsening the health. Yes, a person who's heart is already weak can be shocked into a heart attack, but I don't think the "guilt" of cheating on a spouse would have that kind of immediate jolting effect.

-- Minotaur




Darran asks,

I have two questions: how long should a penis be? And can I do oral sex if I'm only 15 years old but i really want this?


Dear Darran,

The average length of a the male penis is 6 inches. I don't know how long that is in centimeters. Some guys have more, some guys have less. I know that having a big dick is impressive, but when it really comes down to it, it's not the size that matters... it's what you do with it.

As for doing sex at 15 years. Nobody can tell you when you are ready to have sex. You have to look inside your own heart, and listen to your body. If the only reason you are thinking about having sex is because your friends are, or because you think you should, then you're probably not ready. If you are unsure about having sex, or worried about it, then you're probably not ready. If you feel pressured, or think that your friends will respect you more if you have sex, then you're probably not ready.

But if you have found someone that you really like, someone who makes you feel special and treats you like the wonderful person you are, and if you have spent some time exploring your own body, then maybe you are ready.

If you decide that you are ready to have sex - remember this.

NO GLOVE, NO LOVE.

In this day and age it is vitally important that you learn to practice safe sex. This means never making love without a condom. You are young, you have your whole life ahead of you - don't make a mistake now that will haunt the rest of your life.

-- Minotaur




Ashlyn asks,

I've got two characters in a happy relationship, they have anal sex maybe once or twice a week. Would there be any physical evidence of this activity that would show up in a normal physical exam by a doctor? It would matter for these guys, they're in law enforcement in the 60's. I'm thinking that there wouldn't be anything for a doctor to find, since they're being careful with each other, but I've also heard dissenting views in the fandom.


Dear Ashlyn,

I'm not a doctor (nor do I play one on TV...), but I would think that if their sex play wasn't too rough there wouldn't be any physical evidence that could be seen in a casual examination. A closer look might turn up signs - such as minor stretch marks - but a casual physical exam shouldn't be any threat to their secret.

-- Minotaur




Z asks,

My boyfriend loves anal sex. It works out good because I only like bottom and he only likes top. However, my man gets off on screwing me extreamly hard. For some reason, whenever he screws me this aggresivley some fecal matter ends up on his cock. I love this form of fucking and he says he enjoys getting his dick dirty, but I just feel funny about it. After I get butt fucked is it safe and/or healthy to suck him off?


Dear Z,

The answer is NO. You can get sick even from your own feces. So if he fucks you, even with a condom, he should wash his dick before you suck him off again.

-- Minotaur