Ask the Minotaur
Search the Database
Browse the Database


Your search turned up 13 hits

Vyper001 asks,

What's a good lube to use that is long lasting? I have a scene where the bottom is lubed mid afternoon but won't be having anal sex with multiple partners until nearly midnight and no real opportunity to top-up so to speak.


Dear Vyper001,

None of the lubes which are recommended for use with condoms would last anywhere near long enough for what you have in mind. They're all water-based, and sometimes dry out *during*... (you just have to add a little more....).

Besides, lube isn't really applied internally. It's put on the outside of the anal entry, so the top's cock can slide in easily. So whatever the bottom applied in mid-afternoon would either dry up within 15 or 20 minutes or so (depending on weather he puts on his pants or leaves the area exposed to the air), or drip down his legs (which would be really nasty and annoying...).

Lubing up only takes a few seconds. And if the guy knows he's gonna get gang banged later on, he'll be carrying.

-- Minotaur




Anne Fairchild asks,

Inquiring fans of Hornblower and other 18th/early 19th C slash want to know: What do you think would most commonly have been used for lube from say, the 1770s to the 1830s, other than spit? Aboard a Navy ship vs. on land? Tallow/lard? (How would that keep? Too stinky?) Do you think possibly wealthy gay men in that era would have had something concocted by an apothecary or (?) that they'd keep around specifically for the purpose?


Dear Anne Fairchild,

Hmm, other than spit, and lard (which would be pretty stinky, but then again, considering the sanitation conditions in those times, who would notice?) any kind of oil would work. Probably not lamp oil... but cooking oil, fish oils, butter, olive oil, even animal fats - like pig fat - would do.

As for the richer set, I doubt he'd need something special made up, unless there was a particular scent he liked. Anything that a lady would use as a lotion - like a hand or body lotion - would probably be slick enough to use, and much easier to ask the apothecary for..

-- Minotaur




India asks,

Okay, I've got some questions about lube. How much lube would a guy want to use? Where do you put the lube? I mean obviously, the guy on the bottom gets lube, but is that the extent of it? If that sounds stupid, oh well, curiosity gets me in trouble all the time.


Dear India,

Well, usually the top spreads some over his dick, and smooshes some around the anal opening of the bottom. Unless you're doing the whole "one-finger, two-finger, three-finger" thing, which I've mentioned elsewhere as being not-really-necessary, that's about it. The lubrication is to get the cock in past the initial opening easier. Once inside, it doesn't really need any more.

-- Minotaur




Micandra asks,

I have a question on lube. I write slash about the old west. (1880's or thereabouts.) What would they use as lube. I've read about them using soap. Wouldn't that burn? Considering lye soap was the most commonly available. I've also read where the bottom is made to come first, then the come is used. Discussing it with my mailing listsibs, it was suggested that they use a medical salve. I need ideas.


Dear Micandra,

Yes, lye soap would probably be a bad idea. But how about aloe vera? We are talking about the Wild West, all they'd have to do is grab a plant. Then there's spit (hey, cowboys are tough <g>), and butter and any sort of hand/facial cream that might be around (which would work if they were in a cathouse). I don't know if it was around back then, but there's this stuff called "Corn Huskers Lotion", which is a hand cream that works well.

-- Minotaur