NCIS

Season 6 | Season 7

Season 6

Last Man Standing | Agent Afloat | Capitol Offense | Heartland
Nine Lives | Murder 2.0 | Collateral Damage | Cloak
Dagger | Road Kill | Silent Night | Caged
Broken Bird | Love & War | Deliverance | Bounce

Last Man Standing

We open on scenes from the last episode of last season. Then we go to Morocco. We're in a night club with the camera panning up the shapely leg of a woman. The back of her dress is cut so low you can almost see her butt crack. She starts to sing and it's Ziva! For a 'good' Jewish girl she sure is showing a lot of skin not to mention all the sex she's oozing. Several men get up and leave and Ziva notices a briefcase under one of the tables. Before she can even ask herself what it could be it explodes.

We see that the 'new team' is just like the 'old team' in that there is a computer geek, a self proclaimed ladies man and a feminist who just rolls her eyes at the ladies man wannabe. They have a case. Gibbs says grab your gear and they're all a tad slow to comply and then they just kinda stand there. The new director, sorry can't remember his name, is watching and Gibbs kinda glares at him then heads off to the elevator, which closes in his face. You just know Gibbs is demanding that God give him back his team.

At the scene Palmer walks in front of Lee when she takes a picture. He apologizes and there's something going on between them. I'm thinking they broke up and neither really wanted it to end. The scene's in a trailer park. Gibbs is talking to a woman I'm guessing is the manager and she's saying something about someone/something getting the cheap rates because its far away from everything. She then says 'Didn't worry him. Paid cash up front. 18 weeks.' I'm gonna guess she's talking about the vic because, just like with SGA, they haven't introduced the woman or told us who she's talking about. Gibbs asks why she didn't worry about seeing him in the past 18 weeks and she says that life in the park'll bleed the curiosity outta ya. She only came to see him 'cause the rent was due. Langer (DiNozzo Jr) says the body's been in the trailer for about 4 1/2 months and Lee says that that's why no one complained about the smell. Why would no one complain about the smell after 4 1/2 months? Does the smell go away after all that time? Or has it combined with the smell of the overflowing trash dumpster?

Inside the trailer with the dead body, Ducky tells Palmer to tell Gibbs he can send in the B team. And Gibbs replies 'that implies there's an A team' and I suddenly have visions of Mr. T roughing up some bad guys while Face and Murdoch laugh it up in the background. When Ducky asks 'isn't there?' Gibbs replies 'they're all A teams, Duck' to which Ducky replies 'perhaps some even A+'. Everyone misses The Pack. Gibbs asks if the guy was sleeping and Ducky says that men take their clothes off before getting into bed for other reasons. When Gibbs asks if there's any evidence of that Palmer says 'well, he did come to a sticky end'. All together now *groan*

When Gibbs shows up in Abby's lab she thinks she's going deaf because she didn't hear the elevator. Gibbs says it's because he used the stairs. Abby thinks it's because he misses The Pack but he just says it's because he's trying to be healthier. She tells him about the bullet that killed the victim. It's the kind that law enforcement and military use. She then yells at him for not bringing The Pack back sooner. We find out it's been 126 days. If Gibbs didn't love her so much you just know he'd be telling her to back off.

In the bullpen Keating has found a connection between the victim and another officer, not sure why they were looking for this connection... Anyway, Gibbs tells Keating to 'put it up' and just gets this blank stare so he clarifies it by pointing at the plasma and telling him to let the class see what he found. Ah now I see why they were looking at this guy. He was killed in the blast at Ziva's night club.

The team is busy calling Ziva and trying to find out more about the connection between our two victims.

Down in the basement we see a geek leaning over a wall of books whispering 'Boss' at McGee. You can tell he doesn't really like it but he never once tells them to stop. Makes me wonder if he spent his first couple of months asking them to stop only to give up in frustration. Gibbs is amazed that McGee gets called boss. He says it's because he carries a gun. Keating finally finds Ziva. Gibbs informs her they're looking for the same guy. Ziva's in a room with two men. One I know is her father and the other…looks like Ari but I know he's dead. Right? Ari was killed in season three? Right? Anyway, Gibbs asks who tipped her off to Roberts and she tells him Director Vance. Gibbs says 'we miss you' and she picks up the phone to say she misses them too. Not sure why she did that, the men in the room can still hear her side of the conversation and it's most likely being recorded anyway... Gibbs ends the call abruptly. Her father tells her to go home and rest.

McGee tells Gibbs he can't tell him anything due to orders. So Gibbs goes to Vance to find the answers to his questions. We find out that The Pack was split up to find a double agent. Vance wanted Gibbs to figure out which of the three agents currently in his pack are selling secrets. My first thought was Lee but then I dismissed it because of her thing with Palmer.

They focus heavily on how Langer joined NCIS. Seems he called Gibbs to ask for a recommendation and now they see he's not the agent Tony is. We also find out exactly why Vance sent McGee down to the cyber terrorism division and Ziva back to Israel.

The team is discussing Vargo's computers. Turns out they were seized by NCIS four months ago but were never logged into evidence. They start throwing out suggestions as to where they might be and Keating says 'down with the geeks?' which earns him funny looks from Langer and Lee. Gibbs walks back into the bullpen asking for an update and all three just stare at him. All three try to talk at once. Langer tells Gibbs about Vargo's computers and Gibbs starts to say 'probably down in the basement with the rest of the geeks' but trails off when he looks over at Keating. Now he's suspicious of all three of them. He doesn't know who to trust.

Down in the basement McGee's geeks are leaving and their all saying 'night boss' 'see ya tomorrow boss' and it's getting very annoying. Gibbs asks McGee if he likes working in the basement and is told that Vance made it clear that McGee wasn't allowed to talk to anyone but him. Gibbs says that wouldn't have stopped him in the past. McGee says that was different because they were a team. He says he'd give it all up in a heartbeat to be working with Gibbs and Ziva again. Gibbs asks 'and DiNozzo?' and McGee grudgingly admits even Tony. McGee starts telling Gibbs and Vance about the security on Vargo's computers and rambles like usual. After they find out that McGee still has some work to do breaking the encryption on the computers, Gibbs turns to Vance and just looks at him. Vance says 'solve this first then we'll talk' and Gibbs reminds him that Ziva needs to come home too. You can see right here that being apart from his Mate for four months has really taken a toll on Gibbs.

In autopsy, Gibbs is looking at an x-ray of Vargo's head and notices a shadow along the jaw. Ducky says it's a fracture and goes on to explain that he was most likely struck by the butt of the gun to keep him from fighting the person who shot him.

Abby's looking at a post card from Tony that says 'Abs!! I REALLY really miss you. Love, Tony'. She tapes it to the wall with all the other post cards from Tony. When Gibbs comes in she's very subdued and half-heartedly accepts two Kaff-pows from him. We find out that the pillow wasn't used to muffle the sound of the shot. Turns out that the killer just used it to cover Vargo's face. Abby goes off on one of her rambles about how she'd close her eyes if she had to kill someone and Gibbs gets a call from McGee saying he found something. Gibbs just walks out on her.

McGee found out that Vargo used a payphone to call someone in legal at NCIS. Lee to be exact.

Gibbs and Vance are asking Lee about the calls from Vargo. Her answers are plausible firmly removing her from my suspect list. When she leaves McGee comes in and is told to look for Lee's reports about talking to Vargo and to do full background checks on Gibbs' new team. He's then asked about the hard drive and says they're still trying to crack that final level of encryption but he thinks he has a faster way to find out what Vargo stole. It turns out they have the hash number of the file and if they can get into the Pentagon's system he can scan for that number and see the original file. McGee is basically told to just hack the Pentagon's system because going through proper channels would take too long.

McGee goes to MTAC and makes a call to Tony. Guess he has more clearance than McGee, or maybe the ship he's on has proper access to the Pentagon's files. Tony is his usual snotty big brother-ish self with McGee. Gibbs enters just as Tony makes some comment about him. Tony then GibbsSmacks himself. McGee asks if Tony's alone before they can tell him what he needs to do. Tony, who adores his privacy, is frustrated by the lack of it on board ship. When McGee begins to tell Tony what he needs him to do an officer passes by and Tony knows what they're about to do is illegal and so makes up a 'cover story' for his conversation. Tony emails the file to McGee and it turns out it's the Joint Chiefs' battle plans in the event of an attack on Israel.

We find out that Lee logged into the strategic planning office every Friday for a six month period prior to Vargo disappearing. She would log in at the same time and leave 30 minutes later. Gibbs says she was meeting someone. Yeah, Palmer. During her interrogation she tries real hard to not say she was having an affair with Palmer. Poor Palmer. You just know he wanted to Shift and drop to his belly when Gibbs and Vance questioned him about his affair with Lee. He says he ended it because he felt she was using him. Hm. Now I'm beginning to suspect her again. Oh, did I mention that Vargo worked in the strategic planning office? And Vance and Gibbs think she was meeting him there every Friday morning? Vance has taken Lee off his suspect list because McGee found her reports about her calls from Vargo when she was in legal.

Keating finds out that a search has been done on their banking records. Langer asks Gibbs if he's being investigated and instead of answering him Gibbs tells Keating to go to the interrogation room and tells Langer to stay on base. Lee says that one of the three of them is suspected of being a spy. Suspicion is now on Keating because Langer figures out it has something to do with computers. He goes through Keating's bag and finds a military access card but since he's a civilian he shouldn't have one. Langer wants to go see what Keating was up to. Lee doesn't want to go but since she has clearance where he doesn't... McGee gets an alert as they pass through the security locks. Lee says they really shouldn't be there and we see Langer pull his weapon. McGee tells Vance and Gibbs that he had set up an alert system for all of Vargo's electronic information and they got an alert about what Langer and Lee are up to. Gibbs gets a call from Lee saying Langer is trying to kill her. Vance and Gibbs head over there and find that Lee has shot and killed Langer. For someone who doesn't use their gun she managed to kill with one shot; straight to the heart. She places suspicion firmly on Langer by saying 'it was him all the time'. And the fact he has the access card seals it in Vance and Gibbs' minds.

In Israel Ziva's father receives a call from Vance and they make chit-chat before Mr. David thanks Vance for sending Ziva 'home' but he knows that she is now needed/wanted back in DC.

Back in the bullpen, Lee is packing up her desk. While talking to Gibbs, Lee receives a call that she ignores. He tells her to take it because it might be important. She says it can wait. Gibbs helps her to the elevator. Abby comes bouncing in on McGee's arm. Ziva arrives and Abby rushes over to welcome her home. Lee is looking on wistfully almost as if she wishes she could be a part of a family like that. The elevator doors close and she opens her cell phone to read the text she just received. It says 'Do they suspect?' and she replies 'no'. We get flashbacks of how she fooled everyone. She killed Vargo then stole one of the fake military cards he had made and then slipped it into Keating's bag. When she and Langer went to the strategic planning office he suspected her. She shot and killed him then shot out a window while calling Gibbs. I really should have listened to my instincts in regards to Lee being the spy.

to the top

Agent Afloat

On tonight's episode, Tony is still an 'agent afloat', which is the title. I understand that there has to be an agent on board some ships but wonder why there's not one on all ships. Maybe there's not enough agents to go around?

We open with 'Agent afloat to the fantail' being paged over the PA and Tony sprinting through the ship. When he gets to the fantail he finds a pile of clothes with a sailor's ID pinned on top.

Back in DC, McGee and Ziva are missing Tony something fierce. Gibbs comes in and tells them he got a call from Tony about the sailor who 'jumped'. He tells them to talk to the wife. Ziva asks if she knows and Gibbs replies 'she will'. Now that's harsh, Gibbs. McGee thinks they should send a chaplain but chaplains don't investigate. They grab their gear and are off. Gibbs looks wistfully at Tony's desk. You can really see the strain of not having his Mate handy for bonding for the past four months.

At the widow's house, McGee says 'it's gonna be tough' and Ziva thinks he's talking about Tony still being stuck on board ship. McGee tries to correct her but she won't let him talk. No one answers when McGee knocks so Ziva looks in a window and sees the widow dead on the floor.

Ziva mentions that it's really cold in the house. Ducky finds snot in Lyndi's hair. There's blood on the guitar controller for the TV version of Guitar Hero and McGee says that that particular type is called an axe so Ziva makes a groan worthy joke about the killer being an 'axe murderer'. Gibbs finds out that the thermostat was set to 40 which makes it just a bit harder to determine TOD. McGee thinks she was killed in a fight but Ziva notices that the room was staged. Ducky notices that most of the blows were delivered after she died.

Back at HQ, Abby is setting stuff out on Tony's desk. She's positive he's coming back. Gibbs heads up to see Vance and is reminded he's a man down. Gibbs reminds Vance he wants Tony. Vance says that Tony's deployment is over in three months and at that time they'll look for the right fit. Gibbs says 'fits right here'. Vance hands him two files and says 'pick one or I'll pick for you'. I'm not sure if Vance hates Tony and/or Gibbs and that's why he's keeping them apart or if he just doesn't realize that Mates need to be together. But one thing's for sure, Vance is neither vampire nor Shifter.

Tony's going through Evans' stuff and notices he never unpacked. While in search of Evans' second bunk mate he catches some officers playing poker for stakes. None of the other men think much of Evans.

Back in DC McGee is having trouble doing anything with his computer because Keating changed his macros. We find out that Evans and his wife are in debt. Gibbs says he's going to talk to Tony and Abby is right there like an eager little puppy asking if she can talk to him too. Ziva is walking on Gibbs' heels so closely that when he turns around he trips over her. Tony asks Gibbs if he knows what it's like to be the only cop in a city of 5000 and then says '...of course you do'. Does that mean that Gibbs has been an agent afloat? Or was he some kind of military police as a Gunny? Gibbs then asks for any info Tony has on Evans. Tony says he sent it via email but we all know that Gibbs hates tech. McGee comes in and tries to tell Tony something for Abby. McGee is there to tell them that Evans' credit card was used in Cartagena three days after the Seahawk departed. Tony is so eager to get off ship he offers to 'hop a COD'. If that's anything like the transport they were on in the first season episode High Seas then you know he's really desperate to get off ship. Gibbs goes to see Vance and inform him on where they are in the investigation. Vance says Tony gets one day in Cartagena then asks if Gibbs even read the files he gave him. Gibbs reminds him that he needs his Mate and beta back, he brings up how Vance sent Ziva back to Israel to follow up on a lead and McGee to the basement to crack a code but there's no reason to send Tony to sea. Unless it's to punish him for 'screwing the pooch' (whatever that means) in LA. Vance says that after seven years as an agent it was about time Tony was an agent afloat. So does that mean that all NCIS agents have to spend time at sea? And if so why hasn't McGee done his turn?

In Cartagena Tony's meeting with his CI. He finds out that the guy who used the card wasn't a sailor and Hector points him out. When Tony approaches him he rabbits but Tony knows a short cut and punches him in the face. The guy shows him where he found the card; a pile of rocks that have blood on them. Tony pulls on a shoelace and finds it's attached to a leg which is attached to Lieutenant Evans' body. Tony calls Gibbs and informs him that Evans has been dead long before the Seahawk departed which means that the killer impersonated a Navy officer to get on board.

Vance and Gibbs are informing the Seahawk's captain of his security breach. Vance is sending Gibbs and Ziva to Cartagena. Tony calls and while talking to McGee and bad mouthing Vance, Vance walks up and has McGee put Tony on speaker. He then asks for a sit-rep. Tony doesn't think the Cartagena corner likes him. When Vance tells him that Gibbs and Ziva are on their way Tony asks 'when will they arrive?' and Gibbs says 'already have'. When Tony turns around you can see the love he has for Gibbs shining in his eyes. You just know he wants to Shift and pounce on his Mate like the overeager puppy he is. Ziva comments on Tony's tan but me thinks he doesn't really have all that much time to actually work on his tan. I wish Cote would stop ogling Tony. Ziva and Tony are not in a relationship. For one thing, he's Boned and Mated to Gibbs, for another she fell for that guy who's co-worker was poisoning him and Tony did have very strong feelings for Jeane which broke his poor little heart when he had to tell her he was actually a secret agent using her to get to her father.

Back in DC, McGee is having trouble hacking Evans' computer. Abby finds something odd in the snot from the widow's hair.

Back in Cartagena, Tony, Gibbs and Ziva are visiting the corner. Tony's asking if they missed him and then says 'I missed you, Boss' to which Gibbs replies 'yeah, I know, DiNozzo' and you just know he wants to drag his Mate into the nearest closet and have his wicked, wicked way with him. Gibbs gets a call and walks away. Ziva thinks Tony's matured over the past four months and asks if he's still beating himself up over Jenny's death. His reply? 'Not as much as I used to' she then asks if he's drinking and again he replies with a cryptic 'not as much as I used to'. Gibbs comes back and tells Tony that the COD's on its way and Tony has an hour. Tony suggests letting Ziva sweet talk the corner. She manages to get what they need from the man. We find out that Evans and his wife were both killed in the same manner; their nasal bones were broken and then shoved up into their brain. Abby and McGee call and tell Gibbs that Evans' email account was being used to talk to someone in Singapore and that whoever killed him used it to send an email just an hour or so ago talking about the Seahawk and the anti-biotic used to combat Anthrax.

Back on ship, Ziva is being treated to what life onboard an aircraft carrier is like; loud and crowded. They tell the captain that the killer is vaccinated against Anthrax and he calls his XO. Gibbs says they need to talk to the officer of the deck. I'm not sure what that title is. Can someone enlighten me, please? Anyway, Ziva says she can't possibly be the only sailor to have had contact with Evans' killer. Tony says she's not. He mentions the sailor Bizarro Evans clocked in for an hour. Gibbs tells him to talk to Kaplan. Tony says he already did, but he'll do it again. As he turns to leave, Ziva spies some pictures of her in a bikini from when they went to LA. The captain gives Gibbs 12 hours to find the killer before he takes over. Ziva says that McGee was supposed to destroy the pictures and Tony says he must have forgotten.

The officer of the deck is reassuring Gibbs that if she did accidentally let Evans' killer onboard then he wasn't a civilian because she can tell the difference.

McGee asks Vance to let him hack into Seahawk's systems.

Kaplan is found in the sickbay. The ship's doctor is sick.

Tony's searching Kaplan's bunk while Ziva takes pictures. He finds a bottle of morphine and a needle. We find out that something happened to Ziva while she was in Israel that she doesn't want to talk about.

Abby calls Gibbs to tell him that the killer had the Samoan flu. Tony has to hack the ship's sickbay records. They've narrowed the suspect list to one person. And the motive is money not terrorism. Kaplan has been shoved into a closet so Henley can take his place in the medevac. Gibbs has them hold the launch while Tony and Ziva race to the flight deck. Gibbs beats them there. Henley wants to get off ship so badly that Gibbs tells the pilot to take off. When the control room gets the request the captain says 'I have an armed man aboard that plane' and Tony responds with 'so do I and he said launch it'. When the pilot gets his approval, Gibbs braces himself in the netting. And you can see the moment Henley realizes his mistake; just seconds before the plane launches throwing him backward to the floor. Gibbs cuffs him and all's well. Gibbs tells Tony he gets to 'ride his collar' home.

Back in DC, Gibbs tells Vance that he needs his beta and Mate. Vance tells Gibbs that sending Tony to sea was never meant as a punishment. Really? Keeping bondmates apart was his idea of fun? Gibbs heads down to the bullpen. Abby comes running in and hugs Tony. Tony announces he's been reassigned back to DC.

Abby says she finally saw Titanic and thinks it's weird that the ship sinks at the end. Does that mean she didn't know the story of the ship before hand?

to the top

Capitol Offense

We open on a couple racing on their mountain bikes. They make a bet to see who can make it back to the car first. The guy is in the lead when he comes across an obstacle in the middle of the trail and crashes into the river. When the woman catches up with him she sees the body of tonight's victim floating behind him.

Ziva has given Abby a chocolate cupcake that is supposedly the cupcake for chocoholics. Ziva says it's in thanks for letting her crash at Abby's place. Tony's mind instantly goes to the gutter and he sees pillow fights while wearing skimpy nighties. McGee gets in an insulting name of his own when Tony asks what he thinks they're talking about: DiNosey. *snicker* I LOVE it! Ziva calls him a control geek and he corrects her with just the word 'freak' to which she replies 'Yes, that too. Why do you always need to know everything that everybody does?' and Gibbs walks in saying 'What he needs to know is that a Lieutenant Commander's body was found in Rock Creek Park'.

Off to the crime scene. We find out that she's a liaison officer in congress and lives alone. She was shot in the back and bled out before being moved to her current location. Gibbs tells everyone to hustle because there's a storm brewing. He then gets a call. Tony tries to get details from Ziva. When she asks if he wants the truth he does a fairly good Jack Nicholson impersonation. But the truth is that Ziva's apartment was being fumigated and so she slept on Abby's couch. Gibbs leaves and tells Tony to head over to the victim's apartment. The reason Gibbs left is an old friend who is now a senator. He admits that he had been having an affair with the dead woman.

Gibbs asks why the senator thought the dead woman was his lover and is told a story that's perfectly believable. I think his wife did it. Gibbs asks about her and we find out that she had a run-in with her CO over a report he thought she shouldn't file. He's trying to make this all about him by asking Gibbs to keep his name out of things until after a vote for his energy bill. Gibbs says he'll see what he can do.

At McLellan's apartment Tony, McGee and Ziva are going through her things. McGee says he starving and Tony says there's half a veggie pizza in the fridge. Mm. Now I want pizza for dinner… Tony, being the horn dog he is, finds her sexy undies. Ziva asks what he's doing and he says the undies aren't Navy issue and Ziva reminds him that McLellan wasn't just a Navy officer, but also a woman. Tony says 'An officer and a gentlewoman' then goes off about the movie. Ziva finds a love note from her lover, who we know is the senator and asks why he wouldn't sign his name. McGee suggests maybe it was a woman and Ziva says the handwriting is masculine. Tony confirms the lover is a man by saying that she's taking low-dose birth control pills and that she's on the ninth day of her cycle. Ziva says he just loves snooping into other people's lives and he says 'yeah, that's why I became a cop'. Gibbs arrives and Tony can tell something's wrong.

Back at NCIS HQ Tony and Gibbs are talking to McLellan's CO. He keeps playing with his wedding ring and Tony notices. Gibbs brings up the report she wrote and he just kinda waves it off as nothing.

McGee is looking over her phone records and notices that she called the Capitol switchboard 36 times. Ziva has accessed McLellan's ESR. She was fourth in her class and has been on the fast track since then. Vance comes downstairs and asks if Gibbs has a minute and from his tone you just know he's pissed about something. Tony wants to know what's up with Gibbs. He says he knew things that he shouldn't and McGee says maybe he was bluffing. Tony says no because it was 'on the nose' and Ziva asks 'who's nose?' I don't understand why the writers think she wouldn't know any American slang. She's basically a spy who's trained to blend in where ever she goes. I think she'd know just as much of not more pop culture as Tony.

Vance asked to see Gibbs because he got a voicemail on his private line telling them where they can find the gun. Tony and McGee are looking for it in a drainage ditch with a metal detector. Tony tells McGee to hold the detector further out to see if a 'shadow' is metallic. Since McGee can't reach that far, Tony grabs hold of his jacket and belt to help him lean further out. The soil under their feet shifts and McGee goes for a swim. While trying to get out McGee slips again and lands on the gun. It's the murder weapon.

McGee is told to find out who made the call. He asks for Vance's password and is told to ignore the messages from Vance's wife. Vance tells Gibbs to keep him in the loop and Gibbs replies that he's been on the case less than 24-hours and when he has something concrete he'll let Vance know.

Gibbs heads down to Abby's lab and finds her dusting her fridge for prints. Turns out someone stole her cupcake. Gibbs asks her to pull herself away and focus on the murder. Abby tells him what she found; McLellan buys a lot of clothes on line, downloads classical music and reads her horoscope every day. She also found some fibers that are consistent with automobile carpet on McLellan's clothes. She becomes fixated on a speck on Gibbs's lapel and thinks it might be a cupcake crumb.

Tony thinks McLellan's married lover is her CO.

McGee informs everyone that the call to Vance's voicemail was made from a burn phone and the voice is not a person, it's a text reader. Ziva discovers that the gun used was made in 1949, was never registered but the firing pin is new so she did some checking and discovered that it was repaired by a master gunsmith and the bill was paid by Otis Tripp who died in 1999. Gibbs jumps up and rushes from the bullpen upon hearing that and orders everyone to stay put.

He meets with the senator and tells him that his father-in-law's gun was the murder weapon. The senator insists again that he's not the killer. Gibbs believes him. The senator then says that someone must be framing him. Vance then calls Gibbs and orders him to return because there's been a new message. This time the caller says that Gibbs might be covering up for an old friend.

The senator starts telling about how he met McLellan. He points the finger at 'Big Oil Money' citing his energy bill as the motive. Vance tells him that the investigation will lead them where it leads them but then leans forward and says '…but it's this agency's policy to never divulge details of an ongoing case'. Not so subtly implying they will do what they can to keep his name out of the press.

Abby has identified the fibers as having come from the cargo area of a charcoal grey 2003-2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. She starts demanding DNA samples from everyone. Tony asks if he can do it himself because he doesn't like people to put things in his mouth and I wonder how he handles the dentist (and for those Tony/Gibbs shippers of us; how does he get around blowjobs?).

Gibbs and the senator come down the stairs and Gibbs has Ziva do a background check on Reed Talbot and tells McGee that Vance got another call.

Tony, Gibbs and the senator then go to his house so they can investigate the stolen gun. They meet the senator's chief of staff and his wife. Cole is just nervous enough to make me think he might be the killer. Patrick then tells his wife of his affair. Tony then finds out that Gibbs served with the senator in Desert Storm.

Later at Gibbs' house, the senator's wife shows up to talk to Gibbs. She was his shoulder to cry on when his wife and daughter died. She says she knew, but didn't. She knows they were meeting at Cole's apartment. She thinks Cole might be gay. Gibbs tells her to go home. As she's leaving she says that Patrick isn't the type to shoot someone in the back. That's one detail that has never been released.

Abby says that there was one fingerprint on the gun cabinet that didn't belong to anyone. Gibbs notices a shoeprint up on the screen and asks if that's the one McGee lifted from the crime scene and Abby says no. The one from the scene was from a Metro policeman. She then tells Gibbs that it's from the person who stole her cupcake. She says she's very close and shows him a list of suspects which includes him, Ducky and the night janitor.

We find out that Talbot will do anything to defeat Patrick's energy bill and that he's never been fingerprinted. Also that Cole's fingerprints are on the gun cabinet. Gibbs asks about the second call and McGee says that it was made from the same burn phone and while in a moving car.

Ziva takes Tony's clipboard and goes in search of Talbot's fingerprints.

Tony has found out that Cole's Jeep is the same color as the fiber and that he can't be found. Tony and Gibbs head over to Cole's apartment and find him dead with a typed suicide note.

Ziva notices that an area of the carpet was recently cleaned and goes to get the ALS. Ducky says he has a preliminary cause of death which everyone can see due to the plastic bag on his head. Gibbs answers it and Ducky then asks if he cares to venture the TOD and Gibbs replies 'shortly after ten'. Ducky's feeling useless and asks how Gibbs could possibly know. Gibbs says the note was written at 10:02. How does he know? Was the time printed on the paper or did McGee discover the time when he found the note on the computer? McGee finds the burn phone in the desk drawer. Everyone is now assuming that Cole was the killer because the note says he was. Patrick shows up and asks to see the body. Gibbs' gut says Cole wasn't the killer.

Abby has found the person who stole her cupcake; McGee. She has his fingerprint on a new box of gloves.

Gibbs has McGee pull Cole's phone records to see if he really was the killer. Gibbs then goes to Patrick's house just in time for his press conference where he arrests him for McLellan's murder. Gibbs explains that Cole couldn't have made the calls to Vance because at the time he received the second call Cole was 50 miles away talking to his mother. Patrick traded on his friendship with Gibbs to keep himself from looking like a suspect. When Patrick confesses Gibbs says he isn't McLellan's murderer either. I was right! It was the wife. She claims it was an accident. Gibbs says that may be but the murder of Cole wasn't. He pulls out his cuffs and begins putting them on Patrick who asks if they're really necessary and Gibbs tells him he's all out of favors.

Back at HQ, Gibbs and Vance are watching the news coverage of their arrest of Patrick and his wife. Vance tells Gibbs he'd've appreciated a heads up about the arrest. Gibbs tells him he covered good. Gibbs then says that trust and loyalty are important and Vance says he should know all about that after today and then asks how he thinks they'll do in that department.

to the top

Heartland

We start with three Marines being tossed out of a club. One forgot his card inside and so goes back in to get it. The other two are attacked and one is killed. The other is in critical condition. Ducky arrives at the scene in a tux humming The Magic Flute. Gibbs is questioning the serge and finds out that the Marine that's in critical condition wears a class ring that he refuses to ever take off.

Back in Abby's lab she's in the process of performing 'feng shui' on her 'grey matter'. Tony and McGee bring her evidence from the crime scene and the two Corporals personal effects. She pulls out a baggy with a class ring with the words 'Stillwater High School' on it. Tony takes a look at it and knows instantly that Stillwater is Gibbs' hometown. Of coruse he does, he is Gibbs' Mate and therefore knows everything there is to know about him. And I must say that Tony is looking smashing in his striped button down shirt, grey vest and tie. Ducky tells Gibbs that LaCombe is in a drugged-induced coma until the swelling in his brain goes down. Ducky surmised that, based on the injuries, LaCombe was the actual target and the other one was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. As Gibbs is leaving he mentions that he heard that the investigation may take him 'home' and makes a cryptic remark about never knowing what you might unearth when digging around in a man's past.

Tony, Ziva and McGee start musing about where Gibbs came from. They're saying things like he was molded from a lump of clay; he just sprang up fully formed. Gibbs comes in and they begin telling him what they know. When he leaves he tells Tony to stay behind. In the elevator McGee says he printed directions and Gibbs is all 'Yeah I do know the way'. McGee asks when the last time Gibbs went home and Gibbs says he makes it a point to go home every night. We then find out that Gibbs hasn't been in Stillwater since the summer of '76 when he left for boot camp. We get a flashback kind of thing where Gibbs remembers a pretty girl and getting a beat down from two boys.

When McGee, Ziva and Gibbs arrive in town they're greeted by the sheriff who is Gibbs' old high school rival. There's still a lot of animosity between them. McGee and Gibbs go to LaCombe's aunt's door to talk to her about him. When they tell her why they're there she says 'Ethan? He's dead.' McGee assumes she's questioning it and tells her that no, he's still very much alive. She tells them that she thought he'd died four years ago. While Ziva's trying to call Tony the father from The Waltons approaches and tells her they don't get decent cell reception in Stillwater. She asks if there's a public phone and he tells her there's one in his store and then introduces himself as 'Jackson'. She offers her name and he then comments on how back home she was probably just another pretty girl but here in the US she's an exotic beauty. Gibbs then comes up and informs us all that this is his father, Jackson Gibbs.

At Jack's store we find out that he climbed a mountain in Nepal on his 60th b-day. When he asks if Gibbs ever talked about him McGee says he thinks Gibbs said he was dead. McGee changes the subject by asking about a picture of a young Jack in front of the store with an equally young black man. He says that was him and his partner, L.J. (Leroy Jethro) on the day the store opened. When Gibbs comes in Ziva changes the subject by asking if the rifle over the cash register is the one Gibbs learned to shoot with and is told that no one was allowed to touch 'that Winchester' and Jack replies with 'Let that be a lesson in parenting for you: tell a kid he can't have a rifle and he grows up to be a sniper'. Jack doesn't appear to be proud of Gibbs. I'd think he would be, to some degree. I mean, Gibbs was a highly decorated Marine sniper and served this country. From what I know of the Marine Corps snipers are their celebrities. Jack says he had several beers with Ethan and Gibbs is not impressed. Jack mentions that Gibbs used to spend all his time in the garage despite there being no electricity. Now we know why Gibbs prefers hand tools. Gibbs asks if he kept the car he'd been working on when he joined up and Jack says no because Gibbs never got it to run. Jack mentions that Chuck Winslow had a problem with Ethan because Ethan had a thing for Emily Winslow. When Gibbs goes to leave the store Jack asks 'You're not gonna walk up there and start accusing people are ya?' and Gibbs replies 'I thought I'd drive.' When he steps through the door it's 1976 and he's stalking off after a fight with his father. He stops in the middle of the street when he sees a pretty girl setting a window display in the women's clothing store. Jack tells Gibbs that if he's intent on talking to Chuck he'd better let him come along because you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Ziva and McGee insist on staying behind so they can call Abby and Tony.

Abby is telling Tony that she found three blood samples on Ethan's ring. One belongs to him but he definitely got some hits in. She then asks if he's heard anything and he calls Stillwater 'Hazard County' just as their phones ring. It's McGee and Ziva calling to talk about Gibbs' father. Tony shows them a video from YouTube that has Ethan and his squad in Iraq. His name was one of the tags for the video.

Back in Stillwater, Gibbs and Jack have arrived at the Winslow house. Jack brought a bottle of bourbon along. Nick answers the door and Chuck says that Gibbs is a 'local boy who made good'. Emily is clearing the table and Jack offers to help. Chuck says 'that's woman's work' and earns a look from his daughter. Nick says Ethan drowned in Alaska while fishing. Chuck says Ethan had a mean streak in him; that he was a thrill seeker. Ethan left town six years ago. Nick says Ethan never graduated. I thought you had to have a high school diploma to join the armed forces. A little boy comes running into the room and we're told he's five and three-quarters. You can see Gibbs doing the math. Jack doesn't believe that Chuck is lying. When McGee calls Gibbs 'boss' Jack takes exception to it demanding to know if Gibbs really makes them call him that. Gibbs doesn't say anything. McGee says that someone in the Winslow house had seen the video.

Ziva says that Ethan briefly regained consciousness but has no memory of the attack. McGee says that Tony's trying to secure a court order for the Winslow family. To take blood samples and financial records. Jack wants to know who Tony is. Ziva says he'll be arriving this afternoon. Tony'll finally get to meet his father-in-law. Jack questions Gibbs' methods of getting blood samples and Gibbs defends himself with 'I do this for a living'. Jack suggests Gibbs get some more evidence that'll link the Winslow's to the beatings. Ziva and McGee are sent to the mine to look for some DNA evidence. While there, and going through the dumpster, Nick approaches and asks if he can be of assistance.

Back at the store, Gibbs is helping his father price merchandise. Jack says he wants to talk because they haven't talked since the funeral of Kelly and Shannon. Gibbs explains that investigating a murder is like telling a good story. Jack asks Gibbs what he did at the funeral that was so horrible and Gibbs says 'ya mean other than showing up with a date?' and we find out that Gibbs got angry with the world when his mother died but Shannon was able to ease his pain. Until she herself died. Just as him and his father are starting to reconnect, Chuck Winslow and the sheriff enter the store to complain about McGee and Ziva going through the dumpster. The car Ethan stole was Chuck's and the sheriff wrote the arrest report. Chuck made sure he did time for the crime. Chuck offers to 'settle the score like men' and we find out that the two boys that beat down on Gibbs back in '76 were Chuck and Ed. The fight was broken up by Jack. Ed threatens Gibbs with 'Are you sure you want to pick this fight?' and he says it wasn't his choice. The grin on Jack's face as Ed and Chuck leave is that of a very proud papa.

Ziva and McGee are going through the trash at the Winslow house and Emily's watching them. Ziva goes to talk to her. Before she can tell Ziva anything of importance, Chuck shows up.

Back at the store, Gibbs is sweeping the floor and McGee is startled. Just after Ziva enters the store there's an explosion. It's their car with all their evidence. Jack now thinks Gibbs' way is best.

Tony and Abby show up. Gibbs asks if Tony has the court order and he says he does then lists all the people the order is for, including Chris Kingston. Gibbs tells Tony to take Ziva and McGee to the mine while he goes to the Winslow residence. Tony reminds him that they only have the one car and Jack says he has one they can use. It's the one Gibbs had been working on as a teenager. Turns out he finished restoring it after Gibbs left. Gibbs comes tearing down the street smiling like a kid on Christmas morning.

Tony, Ziva and McGee approach Nick and his goons and Tony tells him he has a court order for his blood. Nick asks 'You gonna make us?' and Tony replies 'Yeah, Nick. That's what the little piece of paper's for.' You just know he's barely refraining from calling the man a dumbass.

At the Winslow house Gibbs has entered the house without knocking. He accuses Chuck of beating on Ethan. Asks if he used the same threat he used on Gibbs. Makes me wonder if the beat down in '76 was because of the pretty girl. Ed shows up and Jack tells him to stay out of it this time.

They all get their samples to Abby and we find out that Nick gave two of his men alibis for the time of the beating. Jack then starts flirting with Abby. Abby shows that two blood samples have an anomaly in common making them father and son. Gibbs, Tony, Ziva and McGee head over to the Winslow house and begin revealing the family secrets. Gibbs says that Ethan is family and Nick jumps to the conclusion that he's Chris' father. Emily maintains her innocence by saying she was already preggers when Ethan got out of prison. Chris is Nick's son and Ethan is Chuck's. That's why he couldn't let his daughter date him. He refused to acknowledge him. But he never sent those men after him because he couldn't kill his own son. It was Nick.

Abby and McGee are arguing over shotgun but Ziva is already there. Tony wants to ask Jack some questions and Gibbs says he can have two questions. Tony wastes one by asking 'Where do I start?' He decides to ask about the rules. Jack says they didn't come from him; that he didn't teach him much of anything. Gibbs says he did teach him how to drive and Tony goes pale thinking about riding all the way back to DC on the middle hump. He says he has that 'thing we talked about'. The slasher in me is saying this is because Gibbs fucked Tony's brains out the night before and he's too sore to ride on the middle hump. Jack gives Gibbs the car so that Tony can drive the other one back home. Jack tells Gibbs to call sometime and Gibbs says 'it's the least I can do'. They hug and blink back a few tears. As Gibbs is leaving town he's stopped by a train and has one last flashback to 1976. He's waiting for a train and the pretty girl from town is there. She asks why he was fighting with Ed and Chuck and he says he doesn't even remember. She tells him he should stop. He asks if she's waiting for the train too and when she nods he offers to sit with her. She says she's not sure because it's a long ride but guesses she might since he's not a lumberjack. It's one of her rules, see. She has one for every situation in life. Then they introduce themselves and we find out she's Shannon. I actually teared up upon finding out that Shannon was his first love.

to the top

Nine Lives

We open on a woman jogging. She reaches her house and as she bends down to pick up her paper she notices her tire is flat. She goes to the neighbor's to borrow some tools and finds him dead.

We move on to Ziva cursing someone in Hebrew because her flight reservation was lost. You can just see the wheels turning in Tony's head. As Ziva and Tony discuss how she's not 'normal people' Gibbs gets a call about the dead guy in the garage and off they go.

At the scene Tony takes pictures of the woman who found the body. Gibbs walks up and says 'Background, DiNozzo' and Tony begins giving the woman's background but that's not what Gibbs meant.

Ducky says the guy bled to death and that someone wanted to make the Lance Corporal suffer to which Gibbs replies 'Or talk'.

Back at the lab Abby found an interesting mold on the rope. She tells Gibbs that she found fingerprints belonging to Brewer's old squad leader, Kale, on the toolbox. He's been retired for three weeks and the reason he retired was a blood disease called HES. He retired because of the meds he has to take make him violent.

In the bullpen McGee is on the phone looking for something called mepolizumab. I googled it and discovered it's the name of the drug for HES. Ziva tells Gibbs that Kale had a rep for being 'hard on his men' and Tony responds with 'Probably even tougher on his meds' which is a very lame joke even for him. Kale has disappeared.

McGee pipes up with the info about the drug. I love how Rodney McKay like McGee can be at times and how un-John Sheppard like Gibbs is when making McGee get to his point. Turns out the drug is new and is currently in trials with only three people in the DC area taking it.

Gibbs and Tony head over to Kale's address. When they get there Tony's Spidey Sense starts tingling. He looks through the window and sees two armed men in the room with Kale. Gibbs bursts in the door busting one man's nose. Fornell exits a bathroom zipping his pants demanding to know what the hell Gibbs is about.

Tony is bandaging the FBI guy's nose and warning him to not try and get Gibbs back.

Fornell allows Gibbs to question Kale off the record. Kale says the toolbox is his.

As Gibbs is leaving he asks who Fornell is prosecuting and Fornell just blows him off.

Gibbs tells Tony to do some digging to find out about Fornell's case.

Back at NCIS McGee and Ziva are looking at a list of cases the FBI is currently trying and McGee is reading it aloud when Tony walks in and says 'Uh…Alec, what are crimes that land people in jail?' McGee corrects him with 'No, the answer is: what are cases in court tomorrow involving an FBI agent by the name of Tobias Fornell?' One of them is US vs. Captains Melville's Fish and Tackle. Tony recognizes Melville as the author of Moby Dick and says it sounds fishy. He says it must be a pseudonym. Ziva asks if Fornell gave them anything and Tony admits that Fornell wasn't in a giving mood and McGee asks if he thinks Fornell would lie to Gibbs to which Ziva replied 'If he felt he must'. Tony pipes up with 'Says the woman who's being "evasive" about her "vacation" to her friends', the air quotes clearly heard in his tone. They bicker about her going to Israel for a visit, and I have to say I just don't see her making a 'weekend' of it. Israel's too far away for a short trip like that especially on her salary (now I could be wrong and she could have money from her father in an account somewhere in which case I can see her popping over the Atlantic to see friends for the weekend). While they're arguing McGee manages to break into the 'real name' file and discovers that Captain Melville is Rick Azari.

Down in Autopsy, Ducky's giving a 'lecture' on torture. Jimmy makes the observation that torture doesn't seem to be a very reliable means of gaining the truth after Ducky says that back during the Middle Ages commoners were considered to be constitutionally incapable of telling the truth in court unless tortured. He then launches into a story about a guy he autopsied that had been tortured.

Gibbs comes in and Ducky tells him about the different tools used and that he passed out from blood loss only to be revived so they could torture him some more.

Tony pops in to tell Gibbs they know who Fornell is after and that Kale is the only witness to Azari killing a drug dealer. And that after the trial Kale will be entering witness protection.

Tony proves his not as tuned into his Mate as he should be when he asks what McGee is doing and is told that McGee is checking Kale's cell records because Gibbs is pissed and he'll eventually ask someone to check them.

Fornell arrives and encounters Gibbs' anger. Fornell insists he was just protecting his witness and that Kale was in the safe house when Brewer was killed. When Fornell says Gibbs doesn't have a leg to stand on as far as Kale being his murderer, Gibbs produces a file folder. Fornell asks 'And what's that?' and Gibbs says 'A leg'. Seems Brewer and Kale had an argument which Fornell calls 'two drunk Marines bumping chests'. There was a third Marine involved who is currently in the wind.

McGee has hit a wall in Kale's phone records and so is trying to break into the FBI's 'clean phone' list. Tony has managed to get a hard copy of Kale's phone records of the past four years and it shows that Kale has called the same number every Sunday afternoon for the past four years. I'm guessing it's Kale's mother.

Gibbs tells Fornell he did some research on Azari and Fornell quips 'School paper?' We discover that Fornell and Azari go back a ways. When Fornell was a probie he took down Azari's boss, Torres. Azari then took over the operation. Fornell is kicking himself for not getting to Azari when he could. Fornell asks Gibbs to stop digging as a favor.

Just as Fornell and Gibbs enter the bullpen, McGee discovers that Kale has escaped the safe house. Fornell is pissed. Kale has stopped at the third Marine's apartment. All three of them jump to action but when Gibbs and Fornell enter the elevator Gibbs tells them to stay behind to keep tabs on Kale.

Gibbs and Fornell arrive just in time to see Kale tip-toeing out of Strauss' apartment. Fornell chases him out a window, down the fire escape and up an alley where Gibbs catches him. Kale says he didn't do it and Gibbs asks 'didn't do what?' The three of them return to the apartment to find Strauss tied up and dead.

The team is taking pictures and evidence. Part of Strauss' torture was to remove his fingernails. Strauss didn't bleed out like Brewer, his neck was snapped.

Gibbs and Fornell are arguing about how Kale couldn't have killed Brewer and Fornell says 'I stand by the word of my men' and Gibbs says 'Maybe you should stand by the open bathroom window'. When Tony says that Strauss died an hour before Kale escaped Fornell says he's taking him. Gibbs says 'You can have him…after I interrogate him'. Gibbs tells Tony to take Kale into custody and not let him out of his sight. When Tony approaches the FBI agent holding Kale, he reminds him he should have iced his broken nose. As he's leaving Tony hands Fornell a business card. When asked what it is, he says 'My locksmith. He's really good with bathroom windows'. Fornell doesn't appreciate the gesture and just crumples it up before throwing it to the ground.

Gibbs confronts Azari and doesn't even flinch at the threats of Azari's bodyguard. Gibbs tells Azari that he won't have protection like that in prison but Azari isn't scared. He asks Gibbs if he's one of Fornell's boys and Gibbs just laughs and shows his NCIS credentials. Azari then says it must be frustrating that a bunch of suits can't take down a guy like him then has his guard dog order Gibbs to move. Gibbs asks Azari if he's intimidating him and Azari replies with 'No, only one guy's ever intimidated me and he's been in prison for 26 years'. Gibbs tells him Azari he'll be seeing that guy real soon and Azari's like 'Oooo, I'm so scared'. He says 'What, this case? There is no case. I don't care what those witnesses saw. You got nothing.' Gibbs gets all thoughtful and calls Tony to take a look at the preliminary police report. He says he's on it, then goes snooping around Ziva's desk.

While snooping at Ziva's desk, McGee approaches and asks Tony if he lost something to which Tony replies 'Just my ability to snoop around Ziva's desk with no one noticing.' He then asks McGee if Ziva said anything about her trip to Tel Aviv and McGee says yeah, then leans closer and says 'She said she was taking a trip to Tel Aviv'. Tony thanks McGee for bringing him up to speed then tells him that Gibbs wants him to take a look at the preliminary police report for Azari's case. McGee asks why they can't just ask Fornell and Tony says that the case didn't originate with the FBI. McGee concludes that the local LEOs did the preliminary investigation. Tony sighs and somehow McGee translates this to mean that Tony is the one who is supposed to be looking at the report. Tony starts backpedaling by saying he was trying to delegate but if McGee's too lazy to take the responsibility he'll get to it once he finishes doing what McGee no longer sees him doing. McGee reminds Tony that Ziva will kill him when she finds out that he snooped through her desk. Tony finds a picture of a man on a sailboat.

Tony goes to see Abby and she pulls him over to look at some rope. Turns out the rope is from the Strauss murder and has the same mold on it as the one from Brewer's murder. While she goes on about the mold Tony tries to get her to do something for him. He eventually gets in a word and tells her to take a look at the case against Azari. She opens the file and sees that the dead drug dealer had phosphor on the soles of his shoes.

Gibbs and Fornell are interrogating Kale. They can't get a straight answer as to why he snuck out to see Strauss. He says that Brewer and Strauss were as close as brothers. His not so close relationship with Brewer is brought up. Fornell says that a couple of Marines overheard a violent argument between him and Brewer. Gibbs and Fornell start tag-teaming him on reasons for the argument – Gibbs: Money? Fornell: Girls? Gibbs: Iraqi war policy? *snicker* The real reason? Drugs. Strauss had a problem using drugs. Kale thought that Brewer wasn't keeping a close enough eye on Strauss. Gibbs then asks about what he saw the night Carlson was murdered. Fornell says he can't ask that. Gibbs doesn't care.

Down in the basement, Tony, McGee, and Ziva are doing a reenactment of the murder, inter cut with scenes of Kale telling his story. Tony makes McGee be the drug dealer. When Ziva tries to be Azari Tony stops her. He placates her by saying 'Style over substance'. When he sits down in the chair she fakes a GibbsSmack.

Gibbs asks what else Kale saw and he gets all up in arms over seeing a low-life take another life without batting an eye. Gibbs asks why he waited if feels so strongly about it and he says he was scared. Gibbs doesn't buy it. He says a decorated Marine like Kale would turn scared when a puck like Azari shows a gun so he must be protecting someone.

Tony, McGee and Ziva conclude that it's possible that Kale did indeed see everything. Abby enters and says it's not possible because there was a broken street light.

Fornell is pissed. Gibbs orders him to tell the truth. Turns out Strauss was the one who saw it. Kale says he was protecting his men so they could deploy and Fornell says 'Protecting?! That's some protection, Sergeant. Your men are both dead and you just set the killer free!' Guess they're gonna have to find a way to link Azari to the murders of the Marines.

Fornell is on the phone with his boss who has promoted him to 'head monkey' but the way he says it makes me think he doesn't see it that way. Kale is taken back to the safe house and Gibbs wants to know about Azari. Fornell says they don't have a case anymore. Gibbs gives him a pep talk.

Abby is showing McGee slides of different mold strains. He says the first one looks like Crunch Berries and the second one looks like French vanilla ice cream with chocolate sprinkles. She switches to the third and he hesitates. She prompts him to say 'sex' and then says it's practically mold porn to which he asks 'why are you showing me mold porn?' The third sample is the mold on the rope. When Abby turns to go back to the computer, McGee leans over the Petri dish with the mold in it, as if he really wants to watch and Abby tells him to give them some privacy.

Up in the bullpen, Tony and Ziva are discussing Azari's alibis for the times of the two Marine murders. Ziva gets a call that Kale's FBI guard is unconscious in the garage with his gun and car missing. Kale drove the car through the barrier at gate six. Fornell wants to know how he got off a secure base and Tony tells him that base security is designed to keep people OUT not IN. Fornell replies 'Like a bathroom window, DiNozzo?' Tony offers to put a BOLO out on the car and Gibbs says they don't need a BOLO. As Fornell and Gibbs are leaving Fornell orders for units to get over to the courthouse.

At the courthouse a newswoman is covering the story. When Azari pulls up, Gibbs dashes between her and the camera and she tells her camera guy to follow Gibbs. As Azari walks to the front of the courthouse, Kale appears holding a gun and tells Azari he's gonna die for killing Brewer and Strauss. Stefano reaches for his own gun and is stopped by Azari. Guess the man doesn't think a Marine has the guts to shoot someone like him. Gibbs and Fornell appear and try to talk Kale down. When Azari keeps taunting him he shoots and kills Azari.

Back at NCIS HQ, Ziva and Tony are packing up for the day with the news on. Tony turns it off and Ziva looks at her passport. He tells her she picked a fine time to leave and she says she'll make it up to him. He offers her a neck pillow thing and she tells him she's flying first class. He then says 'Nesi'a tova' which surprises her. She just replies with 'See you next week.' I'm still confused as to why someone would take just a weekend trip to Tel Aviv. Seems to me that if you're going to spend that kind of coin on a plane ticket you'd stay longer than two days.

Upstairs, Fornell is waiting to see the director and Gibbs enters. Gibbs says that Fornell didn't take the shot and Fornell says it was too quick for him. When Fornell asks if the director wants to see Gibbs too he replies 'Yeah I invited myself'. Fornell then says 'She said you'd be here'. When Gibbs asks 'Who?' Fornell says 'Our ex-wife'. Fornell asks what Gibbs is gonna tell Vance and is told 'whatever he needs to hear' just as Vance's assistant comes in to say that it's Fornell's turn. Fornell then says he should have known that Kale was lying because he had too much detail about the wrong things but he wanted to put Azari behind bars too badly to pay attention. We end with Fornell and Gibbs entering Vance's office.

to the top

Murder 2.0

I was originally doing these reviews for my friend who has to work on Tuesday nights and she was off the night Murder 2.0 aired so there is no review of it. Sorry.

to the top

Collateral Damage

We open on a bank and the guard is letting an armored car guy out with a bag of money. The armored car guy is telling the security guard about the three rules of marriage: 1) pretend to listen, if when you're not 2) pretend to care even when you don't and 3) pretend to be generous with the things you don't care about. The armored car guy walks off and a little boy with an ice cream cone comes running in and nails the security guard with it, leaving a nice sticky mess on the guy's tie. He heads off to the bathroom to clean it off. When he comes back out to the lobby he finds all the customers lying face down on the floor and two armed robbers. One shoots the guard and we go to the credits.

At NCIS HQ, Tony is talking to a pretty girl about the fact that she is a gymnast. Ziva and McGee are not impressed. Ziva walks over to McGee's desk and they have the following conversation:
McGee: Tony's still hitting on the new recruits, huh?
Ziva: Ignorant, hopeful and eager to please.
McGee: Yeah. What recruit isn't?
Ziva: I was not talking about the recruit.
McGee: *chuckle*

Tony finishes his 'flirting' with the pretty girl and joins his team mates with a huge grin and the word 'gymnastics'. He notices the look McGee's giving him and asks 'What?' McGee reminds him that there are rules about harassment. Tony responds with 'Well, then I guess I should keep the number she just gave me in case I want to file a claim' his voice going up at the end like he's asking a question. Ziva says something about how Tony should be glad that recruits aren't allowed to carry guns and Tony says that 'she, and they, don't exactly want to shoot me' and Ziva says 'Give 'em time'. McGee asks why Tony can't leave them alone and let them concentrate on how to be a NCIS agent before heading off to FLETC (which stands for 'Federal Law Enforcement Training Center). Tony says it's all because 'Team Gibbs' wasn't given their own recruit. Ziva wonders aloud why they weren't given one and Tony says it's because of the 'one probie rule and we've got ours'. Ziva says she heard that Gibbs refuses to get one and Tony says she's wrong, that it's more like when you take a date back to meet your family; you don't introduce them to your weird Uncle Jethro until like the fifth date. Gibbs enters the bullpen at this point and asks Tony when he became an expert on fifth dates. Gibbs tells them that there's a bank guard shot dead at Quantico. They all grab their gear and head out, running past the new recruits who are a little bit awe-struck as the A-Team heads out to do their thing.

At the scene Gibbs is questioning the boy who got the guard with his ice cream cone. Inside pictures are being taken of the guard. Gibbs notices that the guard's gun is still holstered and McGee says 'they never gave him a chance' to which Ziva questions 'to shoot?' and Gibbs clarifies 'to surrender'. Ducky says that COD is obvious, a gunshot to the middle of his head. Tony says that no one actually saw the guard get shot because they all had their heads buried in the carpet but that the manager saw him walk into the bathroom before the robbery. Ziva picks it up with 'steps back out and, bam, falls here.' Gibbs asks how much they got and a guy approaches and says that this branch just received a money delivery, he introduces himself (Paul Harris from Corporate Security) and that they got $27,000 but it could have been much worse. Gibbs says 'not for him' and Paul is instantly contrite. Tony asks if this branch had ever been hit before and Paul says no because it's a Marine base that houses the FBI academy. Gibbs asks for security footage then tells Ziva and Tony to get witness statements.

We get scenes of McGee taking pictures and Ziva and Tony talking to witnesses. Tommy, the little boy with the ice cream, asks Tony if he ever shot anybody. Tony doesn't answer, just pulls his jacket around to cover his gun and gives a tight smile that says he doesn't like to answer questions like that.

Gibbs approaches where McGee, Ziva and Tony are standing and Ziva and Tony fill him in on what they've learned from the witnesses: two guys inside, a possible third driving and that it may have been a white SUV. Also there are only two gates leading in and out and both were closed within minutes of the robbery. Gibbs gets a call about a white Suburban east of the main gate. He sends Tony and McGee. When they get there they discover the SUV in flames. They determine that the robbers are not idiots but pros.

Ziva, McGee and Tony are in the break room talking about how the witnesses were wrong about so many things at the robbery. Tony says he's a trained eye while running his hand along the top of the vending machine before hitting it and making a candy bar drop. Tony says 'What do we know? Bank robbery occurred moments after an armored car delivery. What does that suggest?' McGee answers 'Perfect timing.' Tony goes on about the movie Inside Man and spins around to hit the vending machine again just as Vance and one of the recruits walks around the corner. Tony stutters 'Director Vance. I was just...' and Vance finishes with 'Explaining your theory of theft in the workplace? Which is certainly an epidemic and very wrong' then he turns to the recruit beside him and introduces him. His name's Dwayne Wilson. He was assigned to the fraud unit but since he's a Marine and was stationed at Quantico, Vance thought he could help. Tony doesn't seem impressed and Vance takes the second candy bar from the machine and holds his hand out for the first one, too. After Vance walks away, the team starts to talk to Wilson about 'Tony's Theory' of an inside job. Ziva doesn't think it's possible since they only got $27,000. Tony counters with 'Maybe that's all the bank holds in cash. Did you think to ask?' which prompts a very childish round of 'Did you?' between the two of them. Wilson interrupts to say that if they'd've waited three days it would have made a big difference because it's a holiday weekend for the base and a lot of Marines withdraw cash for a weekend getaway. He mentions that the difference would have been hundreds of thousands of dollars. McGee can't help ribbing Tony by saying 'Wow. You'd think an insider would've known that.' Tony just ignores it and send Wilson to Abby's lab with some crime scene photos. Wilson asks where Abby's lab is and Ziva points in two directions and Tony in a third.

McGee is going over the security footage of the robbery. Seems the minutes of the actual robbery are 'gone' from the tape but no one accessed the footage at the time of the robbery. Ziva gets off the phone and informs Gibbs that the owner of the SUV is a 64-year-old secretary named Patsy Kip. She had reported the car stolen five days prior. Tony pipes up by saying 'I'm thinking this is not an inside job, Boss. If these guys had waited three more days they would've gotten away with the big weekend cash delivery - over 600 grand.' McGee and Ziva call Tony on his stealing Wilson's thunder to which Tony replies that he followed up with the bank manager, guess he just wanted to make double sure Wilson was telling the truth before he stole his idea. Gibbs was unaware he had been assigned a recruit and he doesn't appear to be happy about it.

Gibbs goes straight to Vance's office to have his say about the recruit. Vance tells him that he assigned Wilson because he can help them solve it faster, which is needed due to the FBI trying to take the case. Gibbs says he prefers to choose his own team and Vance fires back with 'Like you choose Agent Langer?' Low blow, Vance. Very low blow. Vance dismisses Gibbs by saying 'Let me know what you think about the rookie'.

Down in Abby's lab she's showing off for the new guy. He doesn't appear to be interested. He starts to touch a tray of ashes from the getaway car that's on her table and she slaps his hand. Gibbs comes in and Abby says she's giving Agent Wilson a tour of Abbyville and Gibbs just looks him up and down before saying 'You're Dwayne.' No question, just a statement, but Wilson answers anyway and Abby can't believe they haven't met yet. Gibbs then asks her to tell him about the evidence and when he reaches for the box of gloves she smacks his hand. He uses the glove to lift the tray of ash for a better look. Abby then tells him about the trace found within the ash. Some of it is a cotton/linen blend which means it's the money from the robbery because only the Bureau of Engraving and Printing is allowed to use that particular blend. Apparently rag paper doesn't burn as easily as people think which is why the robbers used an accelerant.

Tony's trying to open a drawer on his desk. Gibbs comes into the bullpen and asks for theories starting with Ziva who says they must have burned the evidence when they realized they couldn't get out and then stole another car once the lockdown was lifted. McGee thinks they did it just to embarrass the FBI. When Gibbs calls on Tony he says he was gonna say what they said 'honest!' I can just see him give the 'Scout's Honor' sign of three raised fingers. He then asks Wilson for his theory. Wilson wasn't expecting this and so isn't ready with one. He does suggest searching other unsolved robberies that had knocked out security cameras. New Guy is pretty smart! Tony finally gets his drawer open just as Gibbs tells Ziva and McGee to follow up on their theories and to make sure they know the security footage. The reason Tony's drawer was stuck was because of Langer's old FBI ID badge. Gibbs tells Tony that since he doesn't have his own theory he is to help Wilson with his. After everyone heads off to follow orders, Gibbs walks over to Tony's desk, sees Langer's ID badge and picks it up. We then get flashbacks of the episode where Vance told him about the leak. Gibbs feels bad about Langer because he recommended him for NCIS.

Down in the garage, Tony and Wilson are taking delivery of the FBI's files on the unsolved cases. Instead of sending the computer files, the FBI has sent all the hard copy evidence. Tony quips 'Could you have suggested something that would require more paperwork?' As they start going through the boxes, Tony says something about an interagency transfer and how legal will now be involved which means that Wilson has broken Gibbs' rule #13: never, ever involve lawyers because things are bound to turn nasty. He then informs Wilson that Gibbs has seven rules just about lawyers. Wilson asks how Gibbs is to work for and Tony wants to know what he's heard. He makes some suggestions: bad guys would rather confess than be interrogated by him, that his steely gaze can cool a room by five degrees, that he can only be killed by a silver bullet like a Werewolf (we all know that despite being a Shifter a silver bullet won't kill Gibbs). Tony then asks if Wilson has anymore questions and he says 'Just one. What's Gibbs got against me?' Tony says Gibbs has nothing against Wilson and Wilson says he doesn't get a welcoming feeling from Gibbs. Tony says that that's because Gibbs isn't the 'Mr. Rogers type'. Wilson goes on to say he 'has a gut feeling' and Tony scoffs at Wilson's 'gut feeling'. Guess he thinks Wilson's too green to have a 'gut feeling' despite being a Marine. Wilson then says he thinks Gibbs has something against all outsiders. Tony finally says that that's because the last outsider Gibbs let in turned out to be a bad apple (read: Langer). Wilson asks 'how bad?' and Tony just stares at him.

We then get a shot of Lee exiting an elevator.

Back up in the bullpen, McGee, Ziva and Gibbs are reviewing the security footage of the Quantico robbery. Lee is walking across the bullpen behind Gibbs and is looking at them. Gibbs feels her stare and turns to look but she turns her gaze away before they make eye contact. I think Gibbs is starting to suspect.

Lee goes up to Vance's office. He asks for her legal advice about terminating agents. She starts to freak a bit before he clarifies that he wants to know how difficult it is to terminate new agents because he has several that just aren't cutting it. He says that all the new agents were signed on under the old administration which I take to mean Jenny and Lee says that she understands that he'd like to be able to choose his own agents. She says that new agents are probationary and he asks if he needs cause to terminate them. She says no if he can articulate a substantive reason to terminate that will suffice. He asks if that's possible even before they go to FLETC and she says yes. He dismisses her and as she walks out the door she looks back over her shoulder as if she's wondering if he suspects. When Lee comes back downstairs the bullpen is empty and she's a bit confused by this. As she turns to walk away she bumps into Gibbs. She apologizes and he tells her it's okay then asks if she's settled back into legal. She says she's fine now but was a bit shaken for a while after the whole thing with Langer. She continues on to the elevator and Gibbs watches her go. Me thinks he's starting to suspect she's the leak. As Lee enters the elevator Gibbs gets a call on his cell.

Up in Vance's office Gibbs is being asked to give a written eval on Wilson. Gibbs asks why and is told he's borderline. Gibbs doesn't understand why Wilson was given to his team if that's the case and Vance says he had to go somewhere. Vance stresses that he's gonna need that eval and Gibbs counters with 'Won't be with me long enough'. Vance then reads from Wilson's file. He got his bachelor's from an online school that was only recently accredited, his GPA was mediocre at best, almost non-existent computer skills, no foreign language. Gibbs sees this as Vance's way of turning the agency into what Vance wants it to be and Vance counters with 'the agents should look more like McGee than they do DiNozzo'. Gibbs responds with 'Hm. More like you than like me' then walks from Vance's office.

Gibbs heads down to autopsy to talk with Ducky. The bullet is a hollow point and Ducky's pissed that these guys had no qualms about having to kill someone. Gibbs asks Ducky to profile Wilson from his file. When he hands Ducky the file he calls Wilson 'a baby agent'. I thought it was cute. Ducky says he can work up something and then asks why Gibbs needs it. Apparently Gibbs' confidence in his ability to read people has been severely wounded by Lee throwing suspicion off her and onto Langer.

Ziva and McGee are trying to find something on the security tape and McGee is frustrated because she's not doing it the way he thinks she should. He tells her she's handling it like she does her car and she tells him if he wants to handle anything ever again then he'll remove his hand from her mouse. He quickly steps back. When Gibbs enters the bullpen they tell him they found something. Ziva is still having trouble with the footage and Gibbs tells her to let McGee do it. What they found was the SUV casing the bank. They question why they waited another three days to rob it and why they burned the money after. Gibbs notices that there's a different guard on this footage. They weren't after the money, it was a hit.

Ziva is just hanging up from talking to the bank manager. He said that the dead guard was out sick when the SUV was casing the bank. Ziva says that she doesn't understand because, as she puts it, 'if you want someone dead, you knock on their door, they answer, you shoot them. Easy'. McGee wants to know why if they wanted to kill the guard they robbed the bank and Gibbs says 'Collateral damage'. Ziva thinks that they wanted Vittorio's death to look like collateral damage because a murder investigation is different than a bank robbery investigation. Gibbs says they're no longer investigating a bank robbery and says 'Ziva' (although it actually sounds like 'Ziver'). She begins doing a full background check on Vittorio and McGee starts looking into whether or not he had a criminal record and he does.

Down in the garage, Tony is asking Wilson why he became an NCIS agent. Wilson says 'to protect and serve my country' but Tony doesn't believe him. He starts spouting off reasons: 'for the travel, for the women, to carry a gun (which Wilson could do as a Marine), the retirement plan, to make a difference?' He hit the nail on the head with that one. Wilson then tells the story of his father being accused of murdering an officer in Vietnam. The only person who believed him was the NIS agent that was investigating it. Wilson then asks Tony why he became an agent and he says 'for the guns and the babes'. Wilson thinks Tony's kidding but instead of answering Tony says he found something in one of the case files. A diamond robbery where the video feed cut out. Gibbs sends everyone into high gear by demanding they find out any connection between the two so they can hopefully find the robbers. Ducky calls and says he's finished with his assessment of Wilson. Gibbs rushes down to hear what Ducky has to say.

Ducky starts listing things that can be said of Gibbs: more street-smart than book-smart, possess great inner strength, very focused, strong sense of justice that drives him, unrelenting to the point of obsession. All these things make this man an exceptional investigator but it all comes at a price: married four times, divorced three. Gibbs now knows that Ducky is trying to get him to listen to his gut again.

McGee is checking the bank's wireless internet system because we already know that the problem wasn't the security system. When Gibbs returns we find out that the security company that protected the diamond exchange is the same one the bank uses, both owned by Paul Harris, remember him from the beginning of the show? Turns out that he's heavily in debt and his rent is in arrears. Ziva thinks that maybe Harris turned the cameras off from his office and McGee discovers that the problem doesn't lie with the cameras but with the internet connection. Turns out that there were over three million hits during that 93 seconds the cameras were off from a single source. It slowed the server so much that it couldn't send the footage.

In interrogation, Tony's buttering Harris up by commenting on how expensive his suit is. Tony then starts asking about how Harris got his teeth so white. Wilson and McGee are watching and McGee is telling Wilson that Tony has his own interrogation style. He calls it 'Dirty Harry meets Keystone Cop'. When Tony asks Harris how business is going and Harris answers 'fine' Tony starts hitting his ears and acting like he's in pain. He says that lies make his ears itch. He asks Harris again how business is doing and he admits that he's going through a rough patch. Tony accuses him of robbing the diamond exchange and the bank and Harris says he has no idea how 'they did it' and Tony almost goes into convulsions. Tony then says that they have someone who can figure out what happened because he knows computers inside and out. Harris says it was a flaw in the system that allowed the protocols that should have prevented the attack on the server to not catch it. He says he learned about it after the diamond robbery. He says he wasn't worried about fixing the one at Quantico because who would be stupid enough to rob Quantico? Tony says he's gonna track down every person Harris has talked to in the past six months and Harris says that that will ruin his wedding plans. Turns out he's marrying into money but not if she finds out he's broke. He says he doesn't have to rob a bank because he's about to marry one, and not a very pretty one at that. Gee, make it hard to believe he could have actually fallen for her why don't you PTB? The woman could have at least been pretty.

Tony's using two CDs to look at a tiny little scratch on his ear when Gibbs comes in. Ziva says that Vittorio was a widower with a 28-year-old son who also has a record. The son hasn't been seen since the diamond robbery.

McGee and Abby are looking at the diamond robbery footage when Abby notices a tat on one guy's arm. She knows she's seen it somewhere before but can't remember so she starts sorting through her memories. Then she tells McGee to pull up the bank robbery footage. One of the customers has a tat on his right arm and she says when she saw it earlier she wondered why someone would cover up such a nice piece of art on such a warm day. She does a comparison and it's the same man from the diamond robbery. He ends up being an ex-con who was in on the robberies. So we now have four robbers: two in masks, the driver and James Meyers. Tony discovers that Meyers' cell mate was Vittorio's son. We now know why Vittorio was murdered and the stolen money burned: Vittorio Jr. was the fence for the diamonds but he kept them for himself and now his 'partners' want their cut. They killed his dad to lure him out of hiding. McGee finds out the names and faces of the men behind the robberies. Ziva has discovered that the funeral is taking place right now and they all head out.

At the funeral, which is just ending, Tony makes Wilson guard the car since he doesn't have a gun yet. Gibbs has them spread out and look for Meyers and his crew. Wilson manages to block the robbers with the car by pretending some old woman is his Nana. He protects her with his body as the rest of the team engage in a shootout with the robbers.

Back at HQ, Tony's up to his old tricks with the vending machine. He gives the candy bar to Wilson. McGee wishes him luck at FLETC and Tony tells him that the 'ATF girls are smokin' hot. A little crazy but hot' and Wilson tells Tony he's married. Tony then tells him to only talk to the Bureau of Prisons girls because that'll keep him celibate unless he's like McGee. McGee says to just not mouth off to the instructors and Tony adds 'Or the Bureau of Prisons girls'.

Lee is walking through the bullpen and Gibbs sees her and you can tell he now suspects her to be the leak. When she enters the elevator we get her flashbacks from the episode where she framed Langer.

Gibbs tosses Wilson's file on Vance's desk and when Vance opens it he complains that Gibbs didn't write anything. As Gibbs is leaving he says 'Recommended' and walks out. As he's going down the stairs he encounters Wilson and wishes him luck.

Gibbs goes to a bar where he orders a bourbon neat. When the bartender asks if he's on his 'own tonight' Gibbs replies 'no'. The bartender is confused and just turns away. Gibbs then goes to the wall of pictures of those killed in the line of duty and puts Langer's FBI ID badge between a couple of pictures.

to the top

Cloak

We start with scenes from last week then move on to a delivery woman approaching a guarded Navy gate. The two guards are very alert because, as one says, they don't get deliveries. They question her as to who sent it, what it is, if it's been scanned and if it's been through secure Naval channels. She, of course, doesn't know but says the best way to find out is to open it. One of the guards scans it and determines it's clean and the other opens it. The delivery woman is like 'great. If I can just have you sign right here' while they open the box. Once it's open they pull their guns on her and, of course, she has no idea why. They ask again who sent it and when she asks why they motion for her to look inside. Inside is the body of a dead man; the frozen body of a dead man.

Tony's waiting for his phone to ring while Ziva stands over him, playing with a knife. When it does ring it's just McGee toying with Tony. Ziva tells Tony to relax and he makes a reference I don't know, and neither does McGee. Turns out to be some basketball player. Bill Russell was a five-time MVP. He would throw up before every game. Until this one game. Tony says it was The Game and when The Celtics were warming up Red, the coach, noticed something off. So Red takes the team to the locker room because Russell hadn't thrown up. Tony then says 'You know what red said next?' and Gibbs walks in and says 'Get in there and puke, we have a game to win.' Tony asks 'Tip-off?' and Gibbs says they just got the call. As they're all leaving Tony starts looking a bit green around the gills and Ziva says he gets to ride with McGee.

Back at the gate with the dead body the team is asking the guards about the body. One says they have to get it out of there because it's a breach of security protocol. Ziva asks what the building is and is told it's classified. Tony questions that with suggestions like: aliens, bigfoot, Ark of the Covenant. When he doesn't get a response he says 'That leaves only one thing and the three of them say in unison 'unicorn'. The guard is beyond his tolerance level and asks Tony what his clearance level is to which Tony replies 'Six foot one and a half. Why? You got low ceilings?' then snaps a picture. The guard says they have to remove the box now and Gibbs says 'Can't. Protocol' and McGee says they have to wait for Ducky to release him just as Ducky arrives. The guard asks how many trucks they have and Tony says 'Well, you already met Widow Woman and Spider Mike, here. Rubber Ducky makes it a great big convoy.' He goes on with some 'trucker talk' and Gibbs tells him to knock it off. Once finished Tony walks away with the guard acting like they're best friends and asking if the guard noticed how he went from Convoy to Smokey and the Bandit and the guard says he caught the references. The guard calls him a comic genius and approaches a door with a number lock. Tony takes pictures of the combination and when the guard turns to look at him he says 'You've got some structural damage there, Deckard. That's from Blade Runner.'

Ducky is giving us a history lesson on dry ice while him and Jimmy open the box. They both pause once they get a look at the sailor inside. Gibbs says something about a case in Gibraltar. Jimmy asks what happened in Gibraltar and Ducky refuses to answer. They load the box up and drive off. Jimmy and Ducky go one direction while Gibbs, Ziva, McGee and Tony go another. McGee and Gibbs enter the back of the third van, which is their mobile surveillance van, and McGee hacks into the naval building's security feed so he can record footage to be used as a feedback loop.

Night falls and Ziva and Tony are sneaking around. Gibbs' code name is 'Snowman' and Tony's is 'Bandit'. McGee gives Tony and Ziva the pass code to the door and then starts the feedback loop recorded earlier. Tony and Ziva enter the building and McGee gives them directions on how to not get caught. They end up in a closet where they hold their breath (Tony was panting a bit from the dash to the closet) and when the guard leaves the area they both release their breath and I just hope they remembered to brush their teeth before shooting this scene. They move on through a series of doors and an alarm goes off. They turn to run and we go to commercial.

Three days prior: In autopsy Ducky is asking Jimmy for paperwork and Jimmy is one step ahead of him. Ducky then says 'As you're so adept at reading my mind, what do I want now?' and Jimmy glances over his shoulder at Gibbs and says 'Privacy' with an accent similar to Ducky's. Gibbs makes a comment about how Jimmy has Ducky's 'number' and Ducky says 'And I have yours'. He's worried about how Gibbs doesn't seem satisfied with the conclusion of a successful mission. Gibbs is pacing back and forth and tells Ducky he didn't come down there to get his head shrunk. Ducky asks why is he there, then. Gibbs says he's just killing time and Ducky tries to make a joke and asks if Gibbs would like an autopsy performed on his watch. Vance calls and ends his conversation with Ducky.

Lee is in Vance's office doing some legal stuff when Gibbs enters. Vance tells Gibbs about a new mission for his team. The Secretary of the Navy sees the need to up the protection of certain files. Lee jumps in with 'No wonder, after what happened with Agent Langer trying to steal those…confidential military plans'. The falter is from Gibbs looking over at her as if he's wondering why she's talking. Vance says SECNAV considers it lucky that the plans didn't get out in the open and Gibbs says it's all thanks to Lee. Vance dismisses Lee with a 'Thanks, Agent Lee' and as she leaves the room he continues telling Gibbs about this new secure facility where the Navy's most confidential files will be stored. The mission is that Gibbs' team gets to break into the 'secure facility' to test its security.

Down in Abby's lab, she's working on something and has her door locked. She turns off all her monitors before opening the door to let in McGee who's complaining about hitting his face on her door. He asks why the door was locked and she says there was a draft. He says the room is sealed and she says something about being sealed like an evidence box then hands him a box with Petty Officer Dent's personal effects. He asks what she's working on and she gets evasive. As she's shooing him out the door Tony runs into it. He grabs McGee and says Gibbs wants to see them.

Down in the garage Ziva, McGee and Tony are sitting at a table in front of a white board. Gibbs comes in and says 'Code name Domino' and McGee starts telling what he knows of it. It's the military's plan for if (when) Israel is attacked. It's what 'Langer' stole. McGee says that electronic files like Domino need to be accessible by multiple sources while still being secure. Gibbs says that SECNAV wants to make sure there's not another breach. McGee says the only way to ensure that is to have an off-network system hardwired directly into the Pentagon and White House. Gibbs flips the white board showing blueprints for a secure facility where Domino is being stored in a closed circuit system making it 'unstealable'. But they're going to 'steal it'. Ziva lays out the mission parameters: get in, retrieve the file, get out undetected. McGee says it's impossible and Tony says he sees himself dangling from wires. Gibbs says 'Our leak. Our responsibility.' He tells them to use any resources but to not let out specifics and then asks for suggestions for a plan. Tony then says 'Shall we play a game?' in a creepy voice similar to the computer in War Games. Gibbs jumps on him and says to not say 'war games'. Ziva is surprised that no one else knows. Gibbs walks off and Tony says the first thing they need is pizza.

Up in the bullpen, McGee says 'I say we go with the fire drill' and Ziva just about smacks him. Apparently none of them have been able to come up with a plan. Tony says he thinks he has it and McGee says they're not digging a tunnel (would take too long), Ziva says they're not building a catapult (too noticeable?) and McGee says they're also not setting a series of pneumatic tubes despite him being partial to the idea (not sure why this won't work). Tony says he hasn't figured a way in, just that they're thinking too much like the good guys and not enough like the bad guys. Tony then asks how many bad guys have broken into NCIS HQ and Ziva mentions the guy who hid in the hollowed out seat of a taxi just as Lee walks up. Lee walks around to Tony's desk and tries to steal a slice of pizza but Tony won't let her. She asks if she can have a slice and Tony says if she can answer the question. Lee mentions Ari. He got in inside a body bag. Tony still won't let her have a slice until she answers another question. He asks what would happen if a dead body turned up a top-secret facility. She asks what kind of top-secret facility and McGee says NORAD. Lee shoots that one down because NORAD isn't NCIS jurisdiction. So Ziva says 'the navy equivalent'. Tony says the facility is hush-hush off the books top-secret. Lee asks for more about the facility and Tony says that's all they got. Then asks 'Would they call us?' and she says she doesn't see why not. Tony then lets her have a slice. A small one.

Down in the garage the team is filling Gibbs in on their plan. They don't tell us how Ziva and Tony are getting in just that they're gonna have to get out through the sewer. They then tell Gibbs they need to ask Ducky to borrow a body. Gibbs says don't ask, just take because Ducky will say no. McGee tries his fire drill plan on Gibbs who shoots it down. As Gibbs is leaving he informs them that 'the other side is using live fire. Do not engage, do not resist if caught. Get in, get the intel, get out. No one gets hurt.'

Present time. McGee and Gibbs lose their feed. Tony and Ziva are cornered and Ziva attacks the men trying to arrest them. Tony tries to help and gets a rifle butt to the face for his trouble.

Ziva is coming to, to the sound of a cigar clip being opened and closed. A well dressed man is holding the clip and asks if Ziva can speak. Her first thought is for Tony. The gentleman apologizes for the shackles but she was a bit wild when they apprehended her. She just asks for Tony again. He tells her to remain calm and they'll be reunited soon. He pulls out a cigar and clips the end. A guard comes in to say that Vance has arrived. Tony is with the guard and as the man leaves the room the guard gives Tony the key to Ziva's shackles. As he's unchaining her he says that Deckard's bullets may not have been real but his gun butt sure was. I want to know why Ziva didn't follow Gibbs' order to not fight if caught. Ziva says that if the bullets weren't real then...and Tony finishes 'They knew we were coming'. Ziva asks if they were in on it too and Tony says he's not sure there was a 'too' about their involvement. Apparently the team didn't get the whole picture. Ziva then asks who that man was and Tony relays a story about this drinking game he learned during his time afloat. When someone calls for a coin you pull out a coin like the one he digs from his pocket and whoever has the highest officer's coin gets his drinks bought by everyone else. The coin Tony has belongs to the man that just left and it says 'Secretary of the Navy'. Tony tells Ziva that the downside is someone's lying to them but the upside is that with that coin they'll never have to buy another drink.

Vance and Secretary Davenport are walking through the halls and Secretary Davenport is dressing Vance down for pulling him out of a production of The Cherry Orchard. Since Vance knew where Davenport was going to be that evening Davenport thinks the 'war game' should have been scheduled on a 'less cluttered' evening. Vance is apologetic but I don't think Davenport is buying it. He asks for a light for his cigar and Gibbs pulls out his Marine Zippo. Vance says it had to appear legit; like it was just a routine test and security went off effectively. In a typical exercise of this nature Davenport would be called in to access the situation. Vance and his men had to delay their arrival to correspond with...and Davenport interrupts him to let him know he knows he's being played. Davenport demands to know how much longer he's gonna have to be there. He really wants to rejoin the Ambassador and their wives for a nightcap. He then asks if the trap worked. Vance says they know that there's still a leak at NCIS. Gibbs says that his team did not set off the alarm which means that someone got into the central hub, where Domino is stored.

Back at NCIS, Jimmy just about breaks his nose running into Abby's locked lab door. Jimmy wants to come in but Abby won't let him. He asks if her door is locked because of the body snatchers and Abby thinks he's talking about pod people. But he's actually talking about a theft. Jimmy says that the sailor, Dent, is missing. He had the body ready to go, signed it over to transport and then it got redirected. Abby starts to tease him about losing the body and he says he didn't lose him he was stolen but the weird part is that Dent's body showed up at the crime scene. That explains Ducky and Jimmy's reactions upon opening the box. Jimmy says that Ducky appears to be on the warpath and he doesn't want to be the unlucky one to get in the way but Abby won't let him hide in her lab. He pushes him out and follows closing and locking her lab door behind them.

Up in the bullpen, Abby's playing with some scissors when McGee enters. They start in with the 'what're you doing here?' thing. McGee tells her about the 'war game' and she says 'I understand' and it perks McGee's interest. Abby tries to backpedal but it doesn't work. At this point I've figured out why Abby won't let anyone in her lab. She knew about the 'mission' and plays some part in it.

Back at the facility, Tony asks if they can know what's really going on, assuming Gibbs knows. Gibbs tells them that it was all a trap that there's a mole at NCIS. Tony and Ziva are like 'another one? You mean Langer had a partner?' They enter the room with Domino's console and there's no one there. Davenport is confused that there's not anyone caught read-handed. And he gets pissed at Vance's explanations. As Tony and Ziva approach the console Gibbs tells them to touch nothing. When Tony questions him about it Tony tells him that it's all fake. Tony then asks if Gibbs knows who the mole is and when Gibbs remains silent he asks 'Do we know who it is?' Ziva guesses it's someone close to them. If you want to say that Lee's 'close to them', then yeah. But of course the writers are trying to make everyone think it's Abby.

As Davenport and Vance are leaving Davenport wants to know why the trap didn't catch the mole. In his mind a properly sprung trap usually has something, or in this case someone, caught inside it. Vance says it's like using ant poison. The ant takes a bite of the poison and carries it back to the Queen. Davenport says that what Vance has is not an ant but a rat and rats carry diseases. Davenport reminds Vance that when Jenny died Vance asked for the position and that the deal was simple 'get your house in order'.

Back at NCIS Tony grabs McGee just as he gets off the elevator. The three of them huddle in Gibbs' corner to discuss what they discovered. They already know that they were reassigned so that Vance could find out which out of Lee, Langer and Keating was the mole. They all thought it was Langer. McGee thinks they're upset about losing the 'war game'. Tony informs him it wasn't a 'war game' but a trap. McGee asks if Langer was a part of it and Ziva says maybe he wasn't part of it at all. McGee asks how the mole could arrange for Lee to shoot Langer and Tony begins to say 'the mole is…' when Lee walks up so he quickly changes to 'benign. Which is fantastic.' Lee says she's glad Tony's okay and then asks about the hypothetical question they asked her. McGee says it went well and thanks her for her help. Tony says it was a 'war game' and she asks who won. Tony says 'the other side' the delivers a fake punch to himself.

Gibbs enters Vance's office with some kind device in his hand which he tosses down on Vance's desk. Vance asks how the team's taking being left in the dark and Gibbs reassures him that they know the danger if Lee suspects they're on to her. They chat some more about how Lee hasn't made a drop yet and Gibbs asks if a meeting with SECNAV give him a change of heart and Vance replies 'Change of mind, perhaps.' As he's leaving, Gibbs says 'Stick with the plan, Leon' to which Vance replies 'You looking to sit in this chair, Gibbs?' Gibbs says 'Well that would be a little awkward. Chair's occupied.' Vance then reminds him that he doesn't take his orders from Gibbs.

Tony's taking his frustrations out on the elevator and Ziva comes running up and jumps in just as the doors close. They start having a mini-argument and Tony starts talking trash about Vance. Ziva says that if he had ever had any military training then maybe he would have learned how to follow orders and he turns on her with 'What?! Like you? We were given a direct order not to engage. I recall that you were the first one to throw a punch.' She says it was a reflex. She ends on 'Gunshot went off. I saw you…' Tony says 'I'm tired of pretending' and she seconds it. Tony/Ziva shippers will squee with delight that they now have canon evidence that their pairing exists but I see it as them being tired of pretending they don't know that Lee is the mole especially with Tony's last statement before exiting the elevator: 'It's dinner theatre for an audience of one. When's the curtain go down?'

Ducky is pissed about Gibbs letting his team take Dent's body. Tony comes in and angrily says he's sorry and Ducky just as angrily accepts. Tony goes on about 'not trusting' Ducky enough to tell him what was happening and apologizes to Gibbs for making him look bad in front of Davenport and for being a cowardly devious son of a ... Ducky stops him before he says it. Gibbs asks if he's done with his temper tantrum and Tony goes on to say he's tired of the hand up his backside and yells at Gibbs for letting 'the Toothpick' use them as puppets. Gibbs admits the plan was his. Tony is now feeling very betrayed that his Mate and Alpha didn't trust him enough to let him in on the plan. Gibbs confirms it's Lee and that they have her she just doesn't know it yet. Tony wants to know why they don't just grab her and Gibbs tells him they need everyone in the food chain. Tony wants to know how they're gonna do that because the cameras went down. Ducky explains that the keyboard was coated with an invisible die that can is radioactive and it penetrates everything and stays on a person's hands for days. This explains why Gibbs didn't want Tony or Ziva to touch the console.

Abby's locked herself in her lab and McGee is trying to get in but she won't open up. Vance is pacing in his office and finally calls his assistant and asks for all security personnel. We then see various NCIS agents being escorted by MPs. McGee finally gets Abby to open up and there's an MP behind him. Down in the garage Vance is conducting a sweep of everyone's hands looking for that radioactive die. He starts with Gibbs first, then Ducky, then Tony, Ziva, and Abby. Abby's hands are covered in it.

Abby's in an interrogation room. McGee comes in and demands to know what's going on. Abby refuses to tell him what she's been doing. McGee tries to get her to talk. Vance comes in and she asks for a lawyer. Lee goes to the bathroom and tries to wash her hands. Vance catches her as she exits the bathroom and asks for help in finding her a lawyer. She says she'll have to leave the building for a conversation like that and they're still on lockdown. Vance gives permission for her to leave. McGee is still trying to get Abby to talk. He says he knows she doesn't want to talk and she jumps in with 'Of course I want to talk, McGee. I'm dying here. I've been in on this since the beginning.' She was part of the trap. She's the one who made the die. She spilled some on the floor. McGee is so excited that she's not a traitor that he leans over the table and kisses her on the cheek.

Lee is out looking for her contact and Vance is watching her on a security camera. She buys a paper and marks the side with calk. Vance tells the team to get her now. She knows she's caught. Gibbs wipes the mark off. They all tell her that they know what's going on but they want her handler.

Back at NCIS Lee is in interrogation. Gibbs comes in and runs the scanner over her hands and tells her she did this to herself. Then he demands to know about Langer. She says he wasn't part of it. Gibbs then asks if anyone within NCIS is a part and she says as far as she knows, no. When asked why she says she was given no choice. They threatened her daughter.

Vance thinks it's a lie, one designed to garner sympathy from Gibbs. After some digging they find out it's true. Vance says that Lee's had almost everybody fooled from the beginning.

In the bullpen, everyone's sitting around and Jimmy says he has a confession to make. He admits to his affair with Lee. And of course everyone already knew. And McGee says one of the funniest lines of the episode 'Jimmy, I'm sorry your girlfriend turned out to be a Cylon'. *snicker* Tony wonders if the Navy still hangs people and Abby is upset by that. McGee reminds her that it is treason which is automatically the death penalty. Tony says there's no way she's gonna walk out of there and they all turn and watch Lee walking out. She acts like nothing happened.

In the parking garage she gets in her car and finds Langer's FBI ID badge hanging from her rearview mirror. She looks over her shoulder to find Gibbs in her backseat.

to the top

Dagger

We start with scenes from the last episode. Then on to a man chasing a little girl through the woods. The little girl has long black hair and Asian features.

Now we're in a coffee shop and Tony and Tim are on stake out and Tim is coaching Tony on how to take what he calls a GibbsSip. Lee enters, buys a paper and a coffee. She sits down and folds her paper in an odd way. She slips a flash drive into the paper then exits. A guy in sunglasses, a scarf and a hat picks up the paper and exits, too. Gibbs tells Tony to follow him. When he does, Lee bumps into him to keep him from following. She tells Tony that he was too close to the guy and Gibbs walks up, takes her arm and tells her 'My show, my call. My car, now' and drags her off to give her a tongue lashing.

Back at HQ, Ziva is teasing Tony about his run-in with Lee who is sitting on a chair next to his desk. Lee jumps up and asks if there has been any news about her daughter. Tony says the NSA got a hit and that they are downloading the footage now. Ziva asks 'Does Gibbs know?' just in time for Gibbs to enter and ask 'Know about what?' Lee then asks 'Do they have something?' and Tony says 'We had something; the pickup man in the perfect position before you blew it with the brew' and Lee tries to defend herself by saying she was afraid she had been compromised. I'm thinking she's still hiding something. Gibbs asks what she knows about the pickup man and she says all she knows is he's the one that takes the hand-off. McGee calls to say the footage is ready and Tony tells Gibbs then says that MTAC is restricted so she can't come and Gibbs says 'Oh, she's coming, too.' As Gibbs walks away he gives a 'come here' motion with his finger that I think is just too cute, and so totally Gibbs. They all enter MTAC and McGee pulls up the footage. Vance is there and he questions Gibbs about what happened at the coffee shop. We get a close-up of the girl that was being chased earlier and Lee confirms it is Amanda.

Ziva thinks they now have confirmation that Lee was telling the truth about having a daughter who was kidnapped. Tony's still unsure. He thinks she could have set the whole thing up with some other little girl. McGee programs a GPS with the coordinates and tells Tony that there is a built in compass so he doesn't get lost. Tony tells McGee that he can't get lost because he has their Mossad hunting dog and tells Ziva to 'Bark once for yes' at which she just bares her teeth and growls. Lee picks up her pack and says she's going with Tony and Ziva but Gibbs arrives and tells her she's going nowhere and grabs her pack off her shoulder. He tosses her pack at an empty desk and tells her to sit. She questions him and he says 'You still talking?' and 'Why are you still here?' to Tony and Ziva. Gibbs tells McGee to show him the photos and then goes to stand by the plasma by his desk making McGee feel foolish for putting them up on the one between his and Tony's desks. McGee says that the man that chased the little girl and the one that takes the hand-off are two different men. Lee says she only gets text message instructions from one person and thinks it could be either one. McGee says it could a totally different person all together. Gibbs then tells McGee to take Lee to the conference room and watch her. McGee asks if he can bring a laptop so he can try to get an ID and Gibbs says to let Abby do that.

Gibbs and Vance are discussing the sting and Vance wants to know if there's a third person involved. Gibbs says he's not sure and Vance confirms that someone has taken the bait and thinks they have detailed plans on how the US military will respond to an attack on a communications link in Israel. Gibbs says he'll test it and Vance concurs with 'Then wait and see if our response matches his info'. Gibbs says that this is the only way for him to prove that Lee has access to the complete Domino. Gibbs thinks Lee's the only way to find the person behind all this and Vance says that SECNAV wants the pickup man picked up at the next drop. Gibbs doesn't think that's a good idea.

In the conference room, Lee and McGee are just staring at nothing and both are visibly bored to tears. Lee asks if McGee was able to trace the texts and he gives a long-winded no. She then tries to use the situation with McGee's sister to 'bond' with him.

At the 'crime scene' where the man caught the little girl, Tony and Ziva are taking pictures of the shoe she left behind. Tony doesn't understand how he could work with Lee for three years and not know she had a kid. Ziva says that just because you work with someone doesn't mean you should know everything about them. Tony counters with 'really? Then I shouldn't know about that tattoo on the inside of your…' she interrupts him with 'I meant, I can understand someone wanting to keep their personal and professional lives separate.' She then brings up Jeanne which I think is very uncool of her. Ziva says the trails heads off northwest and Tony does a Cary Grant impersonation from North by Northwest. She starts walking and you can tell he really doesn't like having to walk.

Back at HQ, Abby had to escort Lee to the bathroom and when they exit the room McGee asks 'How'd it go?' How do you think, McGee? Two women, one of whom doesn't really like the other at the moment, in a bathroom together. Lee doesn't understand why Abby isn't so fond of her right now and McGee doesn't want to explain it. He enters Abby's lab and tells Lee to 'stand here' and she asks 'In the doorway?' and Abby answers "Yeah, in the doorway'. Abby and McGee then start discussing what they do and don't have on the pickup man. Abby bitches about having to do all the work alone since McGee is 'babysitting the P-R-I-S-O-N-E-R' to which Lee responds that she does, indeed, know how to spell. So Abby comes back with 'Really? Um, okay, how about T-R-U-S-T?' And I think it hits home with Lee. She tries to bond with Abby by thanking her for her help with the satellites that found Amanda. We then get a lesson in how hair can tell where someone's been as far back as six months. McGee says that once they knew the general location the NSA kept a look-out for her and Abby says something about it being like a hotspot in the dark. Gibbs comes in and says that's old news. Abby makes a comment about hopping 'back in the DeLorean to get back to today's problems' then asks for McGee back. McGee receives a text from Tony asking for his assistance. When Gibbs sends McGee out of the room Lee stays behind and Gibbs gives her a look that says 'are you still standing there?' and she thanks Abby again before following McGee back to the bullpen. Once they leave Abby tells Gibbs that she's not so sure the hair sent as proof of life is actually from Lee's daughter.

Up in the bullpen McGee's on the phone with Tony. Tony wants McGee to define 'lost' because he knows exactly where they are: 'between a tree and a bush, directly beneath the Earth's sun'. On McGee's monitor it shows that Tony's signal has been lost. Lee is trying to see what McGee is doing but he frowns at her and she sits back down. McGee says to hold on while he restarts the scan and Tony tells him to hurry because Ziva's going in circles and he's afraid she's either lost the trail or is about to mark her territory. When McGee gets the scan started again he's impressed that Tony and Ziva are six miles from where they started. Tony then asks 'McGPS are we close to anything?' I just love how Tony uses McGee's name to tease him. McGee tells Tony that there's a building nearby and Lee looks like she's about to make a break for the door.

Tony and Ziva find the house and it looks like no one's been there for decades. Ziva puts her skills of observation to use and says that the room is smaller than it should be. She then notices some hinges on a bookshelf. When they open it they find a little girl's dream room, other than the fact that it's hidden behind a bookshelf in an abandoned house in the middle of the woods. They also find a dead body.

They begin taking pictures with their cell phones and Tony calls Gibbs. Gibbs says to leave everything and leave. Ziva figures out what happened: there is no refrigerator and no food storage so the little girl must have figured out the routine and made a run for it but when the boss hears that she got away... Tony picks it up: 'he can't trust him or the safe house. Kills him and moves the girl.' Ziva wants to collect hairs from the hairbrush and asks Tony if he got any prints. He says he got a ten-card on the dead guy but everything else has been wiped clean. Ziva then notices a red stain on the dust ruffle of the bed and Tony thinks it's blood. Ziva sees the empty ketchup packets and lifts the skirt to find that someone has been marking the days.

Ducky is still pissed over Gibbs taking the body from last week. Gibbs gets Ducky to profile the blackmailer. Ducky says he needs to find a way to flush out the blackmailer while making him think he holds all the cards and find a way to protect Amanda.

Back in the conference room, Lee and McGee are still very much bored. When Tony enters, Lee jumps to her feet and demands to know if they found Amanda. Tony just tells McGee that he's there to relieve him. Tony is pissed at Lee and won't tell her anything. She tries to reason with him but he's not buying it. He's holding a file that he tells her is for her drop tomorrow. She asks if it's the same routine and he says 'yes, except we're gonna grab your pickup man and you're not gonna burn us, or me with your coffee.' She objects to that. Tony tells her it's time to go home.

Next day in the coffee shop. Gibbs is the one inside and Tony and McGee are in the car. Lee puts on lipstick and Tony tells Gibbs it might be a signal. She then takes a drink of her coffee and turns the cup so that her lipstick mark can be seen by the other customers.

Back in Abby's lab she's wondering out loud who would be low enough to kidnap a little girl when Vance comes in. She's nervous that Vance is in her lab alone and starts to babble. Vance asks 'What do you got?' and she says 'It's Abs. Gibbs calls me Abs. "What do you got, Abs?" You're doing a Gibbs impression?' and Vance says 'No, I'm doing Vance. What do you got, Abs?' and Abby's all happy she got him to call her 'Abs'. Just then her computer beeps telling her the fingerprint of the John Doe hit but his records have been erased. The then mass-spec beeps and Abby says that most of the hairs they found on the brush in the hidden room come from the little girl but there is one from an unknown adult female. Vance asks if the blackmailer is a woman and Abby says that 'women can be criminals too, like Agent Lee' and then another machine starts to beep. As she goes to see what it has to say she tells Vance that she's heard about his 'techie mojo; not that we talk about you' and he deadpans 'Appreciate that'. That last machine was the DNA profile on the hair. She looks at the results and says 'Oh, Leon.' Then when he glares at her 'Too soon for the Leon?' he just goes 'Mm-hm' and she says 'sorry'.

Tony lets Gibbs know that the pickup man is back and that his Spidey Sense is tingling because Lee isn't leaving. Gibbs then gets a call from Vance. The DNA results show that Amanda is not Lee's daughter, in fact she's no relation at all. At the same time Gibbs sees Lee slip a gun from her purse into the paper and he jumps up to keep her from shooting the pickup man. She has the gun pointed at him under the paper and is demanding to know where her daughter is. Gibbs is trying to get her to drop the gun. The pickup man says that they're screwing everything up and says that if he's watching he just might kill her and Lee jumps in with 'Who, Amanda?' The pickup man says 'No, my wife'.

Lee's sitting in an interrogation room when Gibbs comes in and tells her that he knows the girl's not her family. Lee says that her parents adopted her when she was little and when they died she promised to take care of her. Gibbs is pissed that she apparently didn't trust him when Amanda was first taken. Lee makes a grave error by answering the question 'You thought I'd care more if she were your daughter?' with 'You wouldn't do what I did to save your daughter's life?' I'm not sure which he's more pissed about: the fact that she lied to him or that she killed two innocent men.

In another interrogation room Vance is questioning the pick-up man whose name is Ted Bankston. He's a former NSA analyst. He was let go a year ago for mishandling classified information. Vance thinks he's the brains behind the operation. Ted says he's never seen the dead guy from the cabin before and he was only doing what he was doing because the blackmailer has his wife.

Down in Abby's lab Gibbs comes in and asks 'Whatcha got, Abs?' and she just about faints with pleasure. She pulls up two different hairs on the screen as seen through a microscope for comparison and we discover that the hair from the cabin and the hair given to Vance from Ted match. Abby says that the hairs are missing a protein sheath that shows that the wife is already dead.

Up in Vance's office, Vance is watching news reports about the Middle East and Gibbs comes in and says that the blackmailer now knows that the part of Domino they gave him is real. Gibbs says that they should have Ted tell the blackmailer that they won't hand over the rest of Domino until he returns Amanda. Gibbs wants to use the real Domino for bait and Vance refuses to allow it.

Down in the bullpen, Ted is frantic because he hasn't been contacted yet and is worried about his wife. A text comes in for Ted asking if he has it and Gibbs has Tony tell him that Lee has it. The blackmailer replies 'Get it now!' and Tony replies back 'Domino for the girl. She's got a gun. This chick is crazy' and gets in trouble with Gibbs for adlibbing. They set a 'date' for the 'dead drop'. As everyone is kitting up for the drop Ted doesn't get an earpiece and asks for one but is told he doesn't get to have one. Ziva is fitting Lee's earpiece and asks why she hasn't plead her case to her and Lee says she's tired of trying to explain when no one seems to understand. Ziva says she does and Lee is surprised. Lee then asks if she's ever going to see Amanda again and Ziva says 'probably not'. As they're leaving Gibbs hands Lee a flash drive and she's shocked that the Pentagon let him use the real Domino.

Up in MTAC McGee and Vance are keeping track of the team when another agent comes in and whispers in Vance's ear. McGee is worried about whatever it is Vance was just told. Vance then goes to a phone and picks it up. The Secretary of the Navy is on the line and he tells Vance that someone from his office downloaded Domino. Vance then turns to McGee and calls him a traitor.

We're at the tavern where the drop is to take place. Gibbs is playing pool and Lee and Ted are sitting at a booth. Gibbs gets a call from Vance who orders him to shut the operation down and Gibbs just brushes him off. Ted gets a text from the blackmailer telling him to put the flash drive in a menu. Abby calls Gibbs to tell him she found out the dead man's identity, or rather his non-identity. She found out that he was a witness in a joint FBI/NSA investigation put in FBI witness protection, which I find kinda funny because the US Marshal's office handles all witness protection (actually witness security or wit sec for short). He was being kept at a safe house just four blocks from where the team is now. Gibbs tells Abby to take a breath and then tells Ziva to go to the safe house and to take the agent from the south entrance with her. Tony offers to go instead. Gibbs then notices a man take the menu with the flash drive off the hostess stand and place it on the ledge at the top of the wainscoting and walk away.

Back in MTAC Vance wants to know where Tony and Ziva are headed and so McGee calls them up. They've either turned their phones to silent or they're just ignoring them.

At the safe house Tony and Ziva find a room full of servers and Tony takes pictures to send to McGee. Vance answers the phone and when Tony asks what he's looking at Vance says 'a career in the fast food industry.' Vance then tells him that it looks like the blackmailer created his own internet hub so he could make all those stock purchases look like they were done by more than one person. Tony notices he has some kind of auto response program running so that he doesn't even have to have a phone with him to communicate with the people he's blackmailing. Ziva has found a locked door and picks it. On the other side is Amanda lying on a bed. He's drugged her. She's lying on a pressure plate so that when she moves it will crash the computers and destroy the evidence.

Back at the tavern someone has turned on the fire alarm and Gibbs realizes that the drive is missing.

Amanda wakes before Tony and Ziva can find something to counter her weight so they can save the computers.

Lee wants to leave but Gibbs won't let her. He has discovered that the drive was never actually in the menu. I have a feeling he knows who the blackmailer is and I'm being to have my suspicions as well. Lee is looking around and her gaze lands on Ted. He knows he's been found out and take her hostage. They run outside and get on a bus. Gibbs shoots out the tire and after the driver gets off he gets on. Ted shoots out the glass at the front and a large chuck lands in Gibbs' trigger finger and nicks his right eye. Luckily he can shoot just as well with his left hand. Ted is trying to get off the bus through the backdoor but it won't open. Gibbs stands up to locate Ted in the bus just as a woman passenger does and Ted shoots her in the leg. Just then McGee tells Gibbs that Tony has Amanda and since Lee has an earpiece too she also knows. She then begins to fight Ted by grabbing his arm and throwing off his aim. While she has his arm pointed at the ceiling she tells Gibbs to 'do it' and he shoots Ted through her. You can tell that Gibbs didn't want to have to kill Lee but it was the only way. He slowly approaches her body and removes her badge. At this point we can see that what I first thought was a piece of glass is actually his broken finger bone sticking through the skin.

Back at NCIS, Gibbs enters Vance's office. Turns out Ted killed his wife a year ago and planted her hair at the cabin as insurance in case he ever got caught. Gibbs still doesn't like the fact he had to kill Lee and Vance thinks it's probably for the best because she was looking at a life sentence; this way she can be listed as 'killed in the line of duty' instead of as a traitor. Vance says that SECNAV wants Domino back and Gibbs tells him that it never left the building.

Down in the bullpen Amanda is coloring with Ziva when Tony walks up and gives Amanda a chocolate chip cookie and some hot cocoa. Gibbs comes over and tells her she was one brave little girl and she asks for 'Michy'. Gibbs now has to tell her that her sister/mother was killed. He takes her to a quiet corner and gives her Lee's badge. Ziva sheds a tear at the scene in front of her which doesn't seem to surprise Tony any.

to the top

Road Kill

We open on a group of teenagers having a party in the woods. One girl hears something that spooks her but she just shrugs it off. The camera pans around some trees and we see a boy and girl hiding. He asks the girl why she's hiding and she says 'Cause we weren't invited, Lucas' and he tells her that it's the After Party and therefore it belongs to all of the students. He thinks that the invite was implied and that the kids drinking beer and roasting marshmallows will be happy to see them and the girl is convinced that since they're not happy to see them at lunch they won't be happy to know they crashed the popular kids' After Party. Lucas just holds up a bottle of booze and the girl groans and lets him push her before him out into the open. Everyone looks startled and then one girl screams and when Lucas turns around there's a man stumbling toward him who looks like an extra from a disaster movie. He pleads for help then collapses, dead.

Tony's taking pictures of himself with his webcam. Ziva asks what he's doing and he says it's his best deep in thought face. McGee gets up and goes over to Tony's desk to see what's going on and discovers that Tony's on a site called Ibeatyou.com. It's a website for people to compete against each other in stupid categories like 'best air guitar'. Ziva doesn't get the point so Tony tries to explain it to her. She says she knows how to have fun and asks McGee to tell him what she means. When he doesn't answer her and Tony look over and find McGee making psycho faces at his webcam. Tony says he's not doing all that bad but he needs to get the eyebrow up a bit higher and walks over to McGee's desk to help just as Gibbs walks in and asks if they would like some alone time together. McGee says 'No, Boss we were just…' and Ziva jumps in with '…acting like children' to which Tony replies 'You say that like it's a bad thing.' Gibbs then tells them they have a dead Petty Officer. As they're leaving McGee asks if Tony's checked the air guitars and Tony informs him he's in third place.

At the scene we find out that Petty Officer Collins worked as a bo'swain's mate on the Shenandoah, that he's on 30-day leave and lives alone in Norfolk. Ziva comes walking up and tells Gibbs she found a blood trail that leads off in the direction she just came from. Gibbs says it leads to Collins' car and it was run off the road. Tony is impressed and asks if Gibbs learned all that just from looking, which he should know better by now, and Gibbs says no, he learned it from listening. The sheriff told him. Tony and Ziva follow the blood trail back to the car. Ducky appears and starts listing all the injuries that can be seen on poor Petty Officer Collins. (I want to take a moment here and mention that there was great continuity with this ep from last week's: Gibbs still has a nasty cut over his eye and his right forefinger is in a splint) Ducky says that he's concerned that Collins' minor injuries were tended to but not his more severe ones until he lifts the bandage around one fist and discovers partly healed scraped knuckles. He then says 'It appears that the deceased had an unfortunate accident before he had his unfortunate accident'.

Tony and Ziva are examining the car and he makes a comment about someone not knowing how to parallel park and Ziva says she has always found it difficult to park when someone is shooting at you. Gibbs walks up and asks what they've found so far. Gibbs then says 'Time of crash?' and Tony starts saying that the kids at the party didn't hear any gunshots or the crash and Gibbs stops him by saying 'Wasn't a question DiNozzo. The clock on the dash is broken'. Tony takes a picture and notes that the crash took place an hour before the party started. Ziva then notices a shoe print and wonders if it might be the victim's. Tony says it's not a Chuck Taylor Converse which are the shoes that Collins was wearing. Both Gibbs and Ziva just look at him like he's crazy so he tries to explain the concept of the Chuck Taylor Converse All-Star basketball shoes. Ziva think the print might then belong to a passenger and Gibbs says 'or shooter'.

Back at NCIS, Ducky is performing the autopsy on Collins and talking about Greek tragedies. Gibbs asks what Ducky has found and he says that Collins was beaten before his car accident. According to DNA the person who beat up Collins also bandaged his wounds.

Ziva is asking McGee if he has the crime scene photos and he tells her that Tony was supposed to upload them but he's at Big Wong's because it's his turn for take-out. She goes over to Tony's desk to upload the photos herself and comes across one of Tony playing air guitar. She asks McGee if that's air guitar and he starts explaining it to her. She's having a hard time understanding why they don't just play a real guitar when Gibbs comes in asking for the photos. There are two sets of tire tracks on the road. Tony comes back and says 'Bullet through the back window; I smell road rage' and Ziva says 'And I smell Big Wong'. McGee continues the tale and as Ziva goes through the photos the one with Tony playing air guitar pops up earning both of them a glare from Gibbs. Gibbs thinks that Collins might have known his attacker and Tony says they'll know soon because Abby's running the prints from the driver's side window. McGee then informs Gibbs that he's been monitoring Collins' phone and he's getting a call from a home security service.

They arrive at Collins' house to find the alarm blaring but no one home. There is evidence of a recent fight. A group of neighbors come walking up and Ziva tells them that Collins was involved in a car accident. The neighbors tell them about a fight that broke out at a party that Collins threw. No one broke it up, everyone just stood around cheering. Tony mentions Fight Club and Ziva, as usual, is clueless. Tony throws out the tag line of the movie 'We don't talk about fight club' and Gibbs calls him on it prompting Tony to say 'In your case I'll make an exception, Boss' and proceeds to explain the movie. McGee says that there's a huge black market for underground fight videos and Tony says 'Starts in the backyard…' and Ziva finishes it '…and ends on the back road'.

In Abby's lab she's telling McGee and Gibbs that she hasn't found a match to any of the prints on Collins' car. She says to never fear because she's the Energizer Bunny of forensic science; she never sleeps and never gives up. She then starts slurping her Kaff-Pow and whimpers 'Help, I'm losing power' which prompts Gibbs to hand her another one. He asks McGee about the shoe print. The shoe can't be matched to any known brand, not even Tony was able to recognize it so they conclude that the shoe was custom made. The DNA on Collins' bandages is from an ex-con named Sam Bennett. Turns out that Bennett was part of a salvage crew that worked on the Rubicon when she was decommissioned.

At the shipyard, McGee's asking Tony if he knows how a ship is decommissioned and even though Tony says he knows, McGee tells him anyway. I guess that's for us viewers who don't know. As they're walking through the ship a guy approaches and asks if they're the Navy cops and Tony says 'Yeah, my seahorse is double-parked outside. You should see the lights. We're here to speak to Sam Bennett'. The guy says he's not there. Mr. Foremen made the mistake of telling Bennett that NCIS was coming to talk to him and he bolted.

Back at NCIS, Tony's trying to put out a BOLO for Bennett but the person on the other end doesn't understand what he's saying. McGee is trying to track Bennett electronically but he doesn't have email, a cell phone, a driver's license or even a library card. While Tony's giving the details for the BOLO he says 'He was last seen…' and Gibbs says 'Right behind you, DiNozzo.' Tony turns around and sure enough there stands Bennett looking like he went ten rounds with Mike Tyson, before he started biting the ears off his opponents.

Bennett's in an interrogation room and Gibbs comes in. Gibbs asks about Collins and Bennett says that he stood by him when everyone else bailed. Bennett says that Collins got him the gig on the ship because he's good with his hands and Gibbs says 'Greg's face says the same thing' then he asks about the fights but Bennett won't tell. Ziva beings telling Tony about her first fight; an eight year-old boy who said he liked her. Bennett's still telling Gibbs about the fights. Says that he and Collins didn't want to fight each other but they had no choice, the fights are random draw. When it was over he tried to fix Collins up as best he could and then he killed him. Tony thinks it was all too easy. Gibbs tells Bennett that he didn't kill Collins. Bennett thinks that Collins had his accident because his eyes were almost swollen shut from the fight. When Gibbs tells Bennett that Collins was killed Bennett freaks and tells Gibbs that when he finds out who killed Collins he's gonna kill them.

Down in the garage, Abby and McGee are examining Collins' car and Abby wants to know if one of the backyard brawlers killed Collins. McGee says it's possible. Abby then says she'd pay to see the right bout. Something like Leroy Jethro Gibbs versus… and McGee supplies Ziva and Abby says 'Oh, McGee, I was thinking like Terminator' and McGee asks which model T-X, T-1000? and she says 'all of them'. Now I'm a fan of The Terminator and I coulda sworn the models were T-888 and T-900, at least those are the models in Sarah Connor Chronicles. McGee then suggests Gibbs versus Godzilla. Then Mothra. Abby asks for something fierce because Gibbs has 'mad skills' (I can hear it with a 'z') and McGee says 'Gibbs versus…' then turns to look at her and standing right behind her is Gibbs! so he ends up saying 'Gibbs versus Gibbs'. Abby loves that and asks if it'd be an evil twin or a clone and Gibbs tickles her ear with a piece of paper. You can tell that Abby is his favorite because he's smiling fondly as she smoothly steps back into doing her job. She found three layers of paint on the left-rear quarter panel; silver, then brown, then silver again all over the original gold. Using the skid marks McGee and Abby were able to recreate the accident. Collins' car was bumped by a silver car which made his fish-tail, then he was shot at causing him to bump into the wooden guardrail and then he was bumped by the silver car again. Abby then spouts off the chemical compounds of the silver paint and McGee says they can trace it because one component isn't so common. He then asks Gibbs if he ever lost a fight. Gibbs says 'Not sure I even ever won one' then walks out. Abby then says 'Definitely a Gibbs clone'.

Later up in the bullpen McGee has narrowed down the car that caused Collins to crash; Maserati Quattroporte, 2009. The car belongs to Tabitha Summers. Ms. Summers arrives with her much younger attorney, Dale Kapp. As Ziva is leading them away, Summers makes eyes at Tony. While Tony is talking about how she's a hot cougar and is always on the hunt, McGee says 'Huh. I always thought cougars liked young guys'. Ouch, McGee. That one hurt. Tony tries to laugh it off but you can tell it really hurt him.

Up in one of the conference rooms Kapp is telling Gibbs that his 'client' has nothing to do with their investigation but she's willing to cooperate. Gibbs holds up a picture of Collins and asks Summers if she knows him. She says no. Gibbs then asks if she recognizes a picture of a car like hers. She says yes, of course. Ziva then asks for her alibi and is told that Summers and her husband were in for the evening getting massages. Ziva says they'll need to talk to her husband and Kapp says 'You are' and both Gibbs and Ziva look stunned. Summers says that Kapp is her current husband. Gibbs goes 'Current?' and Ziva says 'Um...right. Uh, husband number...three' and Summers corrects her with 'Four'. Kapp was her divorce attorney from her previous husband. Ziva tells her 'Mazel tov' but you can tell she's being sarcastic. Kapp insists they never left and that they have a dozen staff members who could have taken the car. Gibbs asks for names and Ziva says they need to see the car. Summers says it's headed to Nantucket and Kapp corrects her by saying it's actually going to the Hamptons. Apparently Kapp doesn't want to spend Christmas in Nantucket so he sent the car to the Hamptons to force her to let him go there for the holiday. Ziva says she doesn't care where it is right now, they just need to see it ASAP. Kapp says he'll take care of it and Summers asks if they're done 'with these people'. When Kapp asks if there are any more questions, Gibbs asks for a DNA sample. Kapp asks if Summers is being charged and Gibbs says 'Not yet' so Kapp says 'Then we're leaving' and they leave the room.

In Abby's lab she's examining the glass that Summers had used while being questioned by Gibbs. Summers' fingerprints don't match but Kapp's do. Gibbs demands Kapp be brought back. Ziva thinks he's already left so Abby uses the GPS in Kapp's cell to find him and discovers that he's using his phone and still on the base. Abby says he's right in front of the building and it looks like he's driving into the lobby. Gibbs and Ziva go marching through the bullpen and Gibbs tells Tony to shut the front gate. Tony asks who they're stopping and when Gibbs doesn't answer he quips 'Everyone, I guess' and calls the gate to tell them to lock it down. Before Gibbs can get to the elevator, Summers and an unknown man exit it and when Gibbs asks where her husband is she says she doesn't know, that he just drove off and left her. Ziva says 'First Bennett runs and now Kapp'. I'm guessing that Kapp has something to do with the fight club.

In the bullpen, Ziva, Tony and McGee are huddled around McGee's desk. Tony thinks Kapp is just running from his wife. Tony asks if anyone knows how fast a cougar can run and Ziva replies 'Not fast enough. She couldn't catch his car'. McGee thinks Kapp ran because he knew they were closing in on him but Ziva says that Summers swears she's never heard of Collins. Gibbs comes in and says 'But Kapp obviously has'. Tony tells him they have Kapp's laptop and that Abby's doing her thing with it. McGee says that Kapp cancelled his massage and they have a traffic cam picture of him running a red light a mile away from his house. Tony quips 'That's gonna be 400 bucks for a traffic violation and 50 years for murder'. Gibbs wants to know Kapp's motive. Tony says 'Motive. There's a question' and continues to just sit there looking at Ziva. Gibbs gives him The Look and he jumps up to tell Gibbs that as far as they can tell Kapp and Collins have never crossed paths. Abby calls Gibbs and tells him she found something. Gibbs takes McGee with him and tells Tony to find Kapp. As Gibbs walks out Tony calls out 'I'm checking to see if there's any hits on the BOLO! Still nothing!' Once Gibbs is out of the room he checks his ranking in the air guitar competition and he is now second place. Ziva snarks that he must be so proud and he calls her jealous. She scoffs 'Because you can air guitar?' and he replies 'Because you can't' and she tells him while leaning seductively on his desk, that she likes to have fun in more adult ways. She means reading. He says that while he can understand the draw of a good book he wonders if she doesn't ever feel the need to just act… she says 'childish?' and he counters with 'silly, stupid, brainless' and she asks 'like you?' he confirms that he does indeed mean just like him and she tells him that in her world you have to grow up fast and you don't have a choice in it. He reminds her that now she does. I really want him to tell Ziva that acting like a child is a great stress releaser.

Down in Abby's lab Abby's telling Gibbs that she found some encrypted files in a hidden partition in the computer. A bunch of emails and chat room conversations. Over 20 in the last month from the same screen name: J-Digg19. When they put them up on the plasma it still looks like gibberish. Gibbs asks them to decrypt it and they tell him that it's IM-speak. He's totally confused. Abby translates some of it: 'hhay 2d?' is 'Hi, how are you today?' 'f-ty' is 'fine, thank you'. We then find out that J-Digg19 is a woman, or posing as one, because Kapp asks what she's wearing and if he can buy her some lingerie. Abby found an embedded hyperlink and clicks it. It takes them to the MySpace page of a 19 year-old girl named Jodi. McGee looks like he's never seen a woman before. McGee pings her page to get the IP address of the last computer to look at it and gets the street address: 205 Wilcox. He writes it down on a piece of paper and Gibbs grabs it from him on his way out the door. McGee asks if he needs back-up and Gibbs just ignores him. Abby has this knowing little smirk on her face.

Tony and Gibbs are knocking on a door that has the number 3 on it at I'm guessing 205 Wilcox. Tony says it reminds him of his first college apartment. A woman calls out for them to just come on in and Gibbs announces them as they enter. Instead of questioning why NCIS is at her door, she tells them to grab a drink if they want and now we can hear water running. Gibbs again tells her they're federal agents and that they need to talk to her. She just says that her roommate went home for the weekend. Now Tony starts saying they're agents and they need to talk with her. This time she asks them to join her in the shower. When Tony heads toward the bathroom Gibbs gets angry. And rightly so! Tony's his Mate and is not allowed to fuck anyone else. But Tony's not going to join her in the shower. He's figured out that her responses are all automated. He noticed a lipstick camera tucked into the CD rack pointed at the door. They then notice one in the vent on the wall. They pull their weapons and make their way to the bathroom where the silhouette of a woman can be seen behind the shower curtain. When Gibbs opens the curtain a flash goes off. In the shower is a mannequin and Tony says 'Peek-a-boo.' They figure out that Jodi's voice is pre-recorded and is activated by motion and sound sensors. Tony is now bemoaning the fact that McGee isn't with them. Gibbs found a motion sensor that when he waves his hand in front of it has Jodi say 'It's getting kinda lonely in here. How long you gonna keep me waiting?' He then finds a locked cabinet and they open it to discover they're not being watched, they're being recorded. They take everything back to NCIS for Abby and McGee to examine.

In Abby's lab they determine that the whole set up is similar to 'To catch a Predator' only instead of looking for perverts they're trying to catch unfaithful husbands. Afterward the 'marks' get an email saying that if they want the video to disappear they'll have to pay 10 Gs. McGee is trying to track down the owner of the website. Tony says that that's a lot of money for Joe Blow and McGee says that the blackmailer isn't targeting Joe Blow and Abby jumps in with 'No. He is targeting men with rich wives'. One of the men is Kapp. McGee says that there's footage going back two years. Tony says that wherever Jodi is she's making a killing and Abby informs him that Jodi doesn't exist, that the picture off the MySpace page was stolen from a modeling website from the Ukraine. Tony then asks 'So, who's the man behind the shower curtain?' and McGee says 'And we have a winner. The email account is registered to…' and Gibbs finishes 'Petty Officer Collins.' We now have motive for Collins' murder. Ziva then comes in to tell everyone that the BOLO just came in on Kapp's Town Car: it's in front of Collins' house. They all head over to Collins' house. I find it interesting that Ziva is in the front and not Tony. McGee thinks Kapp may have gone to Collins' house to look for any back-ups of him 'cheating' on his wife. McGee takes the front while Gibbs, Ziva and Tony head around back. They find Kapp dead.

It would appear he was beaten to death by a 2X4. Tony went to question the neighbors and they tell him that a big man with fair hair was there just after lunch. The description matches Bennett. Tony has a BOLO out in all the homeless shelters in Norfolk and McGee has contacted Norfolk PD for assistance. Everyone is trying to figure out how Bennett could have known that Kapp was the killer and Tony says that it is now all about asking the right question. Gibbs says 'Well, ask away, DiNozzo' and Tony asks 'Why did Kapp rabbit outta here, leaving his wife behind? Why'd he go straight to Collins' house?' McGee then asks 'And how did Bennett know to find him there?' Gibbs says that Bennett didn't find Kapp there to which Tony adds 'He lured him' and Ziva picks up from there saying 'Easy enough. All Bennett had to do was phone Kapp and tell him he had a couple of photos of him at Jodi's apartment.' McGee does a search of Kapp's phone records and finds an incoming call from Collins' house. He then does a search of Collins' phone records and discovers five from a payphone near where the Rubicon is being decommissioned. As they're gathering their gear, Ziva asks Tony 'How's that for old-school slothing?' and he counters with 'Sleuthing – having fun yet?'

At the dock everyone's gone home for the day. Gibbs tells Tony to keep it down because all noise echoes badly. He sends Ziva in one direction and takes the boys with him. The lights go out meaning that Bennett is there and knows they're there too. Tony finds where Bennett's been crashing and then hears a noise behind him; it's a rat. He really hates rats because he's encountered rats on boats before and for the fact that rats carried the plague into Europe where he got it centuries ago as a young vampire. McGee runs into Bennett and Bennett runs. When McGee chases him, Bennett manages to get behind him but McGee manages to capture him because he fell and hit his head while trying to run away.

Back at NCIS HQ, Ziva is interrogating Bennett who is maintaining his innocence in Kapp's death. Gibbs believes him.

McGee sneaks up on Abby to pressure her into finding something. Despite the fact that she's supposed to be looking for something to pressure Bennett with she's running a WHO-IS search because of a header mismatch in the extortion emails sent to Kapp. She gets a ding. She then says 'Whoa. Now, that's a ding' and McGee says 'That's not a ding. That's a leech'.

Back in interrogation McGee comes in and whispers in Gibbs' ear. Ziva tells Bennett that they have a witness who saw him at Collins' house and they know he called Kapp and uses his statement about killing whoever killed Collins as their reason to believe he killed Kapp. Gibbs approaches the table and asks if Bennett knows what a line-up is.

Gibbs is now in the room between the interrogation rooms and Parker, the neighbor of Collins' that said he saw Bennett at the house, comes in. Gibbs flips a switch and the light in the interrogation room where Bennett is comes on and Parker says that that's the man he saw. Gibbs then flips another switch and the light in the surveillance room comes on and Bennett says that he recognizes Parker. Turns out Bennett saw Parker beat Kapp to death. McGee fills us in on just how he was caught; he used Collins' Wi-Fi connection to blackmail Kapp. After everyone but Tony, the tech and Ziva leave Bennett tells how it happened. He thinks he's only talking to Ziva and in a way he is because Tony told the tech to stop recording. Bennett says he was going to stay at Collins' house to look after his stuff and when he heard the back door open he hid because he didn't want to get in trouble. He heard Parker call Kapp and he stayed because he wanted to see who had killed his friend. He feels bad for not stopping Parker despite also wanting Kapp dead.

Later in the bullpen Tony's shutting his stuff down and invites Ziva to join him at a midnight showing of Goodfellas but she turns him down. Once he's gone she gets up from her desk and does a pretty good air guitar.

to the top

Silent Night

We open on a delivery guy making a delivery to a house while on the phone with a friend about why he's late meeting them for a night out. He rings the bell and gets no response. He knocks, still no response. While looking through the window he sees an older couple lying on the floor and then is surprised by a man's face.

At NCIS HQ, the elevator opens to allow Vance and Ziva to exit. Both are laughing and carrying unwrapped board games. They deposit the games in a Toys For Tots box. Vance picks up the game Battleship and says how much he loved playing it as a kid. Ziva agrees and offers the tidbit of 'My mother preferred I play with dolls'. Vance then thanks her for accompanying him on a shopping spree for Toys For Tots and she says she loves to spend other people's money. As they go their separate ways, Vance notices that the lights on the tree are flickering so he reaches down and fixes it by just touching the plug.

McGee hangs up the phone and says that security called to say a Detective Kemp is on his way up and to ask where Gibbs is. Tony doesn't take the news that Detective Justin Kemp from Metro Homicide is on his way up. Me thinks he has a history with the guy and it's not pretty. When asked if he knows him he hems and haws and says 'Sorta'. Ziva demands an explanation. Tony tries to brush her off by saying they have a mutual friend. Uh-huh. Is that 'mutual' as in 'he knows my college roommate' or 'mutual' as in 'I used to date his wife'? It's the latter. But it's more than that. He says they went out a few times and McGee asks how many. He says 'Four'. Ziva thinks that's not a whole lot and then Tony says 'Four months. At least four months'. Wow! Tony was able to date one woman exclusively for four months!? I didn't think he had it in him. Wonder how Gibbs will take the news that his Mate was in that serious of a relationship before him and without being ordered into it by the Director. McGee and Ziva agree that that's a big deal and Tony brings them back to task by asking why Kemp's there. McGee tells him there was a home invasion and there are two dead bodies. Tony asks how that involves them and Gibbs chooses that moment to walk in and say 'They don't want to discuss it on the phone' and in the background the elevator dings signaling someone's arrival. Out walks a pretty boy and Tony's jealousy is obvious in the curled lip and disgusted noise he makes. Ziva's jaw drops and Tony reminds her he's married. When Kemp approaches Tony's desk, Tony stands, says 'Kemp' in greeting and holds out his hand. Kemp just says 'DiNozzo' and keeps his hand in his pocket until he gets to Gibbs whom he greets with 'Sorry to ruin your Christmas'. Gibbs just reminds him that it's December 23 so nothing's been ruined. Yet. Kemp finally tells them why Metro PD has called NCIS for assistance. There were fingerprints found at the scene that belong to a Ned Quinn, a former Petty Officer from Vietnam. The delivery guy even gave an excellent description of the man whose face made him fall on his butt in surprise. As soon as Kemp began talking about Quinn, McGee began a search for him in the NCIS database. The sketch looks like an older version of Quinn's service picture. McGee says it can't be Quinn because he died in a fire in 1991. Gibbs requests a copy of the death certificate and when McGee pulls it up he says 'Uh-oh'.

Down in autopsy, Ducky is telling Abby about the tradition of hiding money in Christmas pudding. It's supposed to bring good fortune to the person who finds it. He then makes a comment about how he hasn't been able to carry on some of his traditions now that his mother has passed? is in a home? I seriously can't remember (see below). I just want to know why Tony hasn't been spending the holidays with his descendant. Or Gibbs for that matter. Gibbs is a close friend of Ducky's. And Abby. Everyone knows how much Ducky loves Abby so why wasn't he having Christmas with her? The team is a family so why haven't they been sharing the holidays? Abby goes on to talk about what she does and doesn't like about Christmas. She likes everything except the Chipmunk song (I happen to love it) and shopping. She never knows what to get Gibbs. She asks 'What do you get for the guy who has nothing and wants nothing?' Ducky's response? 'Some squeaky shoes' just as the doors whoosh open revealing Gibbs. Abby leaves and Ducky asks if something's wrong. Gibbs hands him Quinn's death certificate and we discover why McGee was so upset earlier: Ducky signed it.

McGee is reading Quinn's history and we find out that he was accepted into medical school but enlisted in the Navy instead. He became a corpsman attached to the First Battalion Ninth Marines. Gibbs walks up and calls them 'The Walking Dead'. When he says it you can hear the capital letters. Quinn came home in 1972 and was treated for PTSD. At that time he became addicted to Meth and has been in and out of rehab. His wife left him, taking their daughter, Melissa. Gibbs sends McGee and Ziva to talk to the ex-wife and daughter.

Down in autopsy, Ducky is going over his autopsy notes on Quinn. He had trouble confirming his identity due to the charred remains and the damaged teeth from Meth use. Gibbs thinks Quinn might have killed someone and started the fire to cover it up. Ducky notices that Quinn was treated at Bethesda and the doctor who treated him is still there. He wants to talk to the man and Gibbs hands Duck his cell phone.

At the daughter's house, she's putting on her coat so she can run errands while her mother watches the kids. McGee and Ziva ring the bell and ask to speak to Connie Wheeler and her daughter Melissa Fox. Connie isn't so eager to believe that Quinn is still alive and really wants nothing more to do with him. When Ziva asks if Melissa has been in contact with her father, her mother jumps in and says 'her father is my husband, Ed'. She then says that she doesn't want Quinn to know where they are because he has already destroyed their lives once. Quinn was one of those returning vets that came back broken.

Ducky is talking to the doctor, who is wearing a Santa suit, who treated Quinn. The doctor doesn't remember Quinn but he says he was suffering from survivor's guilt; blamed himself for a buddy's death. Abby comes in and gets excited over seeing 'Santa'. She can't get over how real he looks, and really the man playing Dr. Pryor makes a very convincing Santa. Abby wants to take a picture but Ducky scolds her and brings Dr. Pryor back on task by asking why Quinn blamed himself for his friend's death. Turns out that he and this other corpsman switched patrols a week before their tour ended and the other man was killed in an ambush. Ducky asks if Dr. Pryor has any idea what might have happened to Quinn between '82 and '91 and is told 'no'. Pryor says that a lot of those guys just give up. Ducky then asks if Quinn had any violent tendencies and Pryor says he doesn't remember. During all this Abby is trying to touch 'Santa'. Abby manages to get her picture just before Pryor leaves.

Ducky tells Gibbs that he suffered several hours of Pryor's rambling notes and didn't find any mention of any impulsive or aggressive tendencies. McGee pipes up to say that Quinn left Vietnam on December 30, 1972. He then jumps to talking about The Wall, the Vietnam memorial wall in Washington, D.C. It lists the 58,000 + names of the KIA and MIA in chronological order. The official website says that 17 military personnel died that week. Of those, only two were in the same province as Quinn and only one was a corpsman; Roger Laurence Grant. Ducky then spins Gibbs back around to look at him while saying 'Yeah. After the Vietnam Memorial was dedicated, Quinn went regularly to the wall to pay tribute to his fallen friend. If Quinn is still alive there's a chance he might honor Roger Grant's memory by visiting the memorial on the anniversary of his death --- December 24.'

And so our team is staking out The Wall on Christmas Eve. Tony and Ziva are in a car and Ziva says 'He does not dress like a cop' and Tony asks 'Who?' She says 'Your Detective Kemp' Tony doesn't even blink at her calling Kemp 'his detective'. In fact he shoves the conversation over onto her by calling her on her fascination of said detective. She asks if Kemp comes from money and Tony says 'Married it' then says they're missing the company Christmas party. You know his Mate will make him pay for that later, never mind that Gibbs ordered Tony on the stake-out. Ziva wants to know what the ex-girlfriend who married Kemp's name is and Tony keeps her on task by pointing out a man in a blue hoodie. Ziva takes a look through the binoculars and says 'Too young, too fat, too female. Now answer the question.' When she asks if she's pretty Tony answers with 'Gorgeous' He then gets wistful in thinking about her. I think he actually loved her. Ziva then asks if he ever misses not having a wife and kids. Tony escapes by getting out of the car to check 'the guy' in the hoodie.

At the party, Abby brings Gibbs some eggnog and fills him in on the party gossip; Hollander had to be sent home in a cab, fourth year in a row. When she hands it to him he just gives her this look and she says 'Right. Two for McGee'. *snicker* I love her sweater. It has a skull wearing a Santa hat on it. She tries to talk to him about the rest of the team and he just tells her to go home. She says she can't because she has to go shopping. He says 'Then do it' and she says 'I don't know what to get anybody' then asks for his opinion starting with Tony. His response? 'An attitude adjustment'. She scolds him just as McGee and Melissa Fox step off the elevator. Gibbs gives Abby a hug and wishes her a Merry Christmas and Melissa gets this look on her face like she's never seen a hug before or like she knows Gibbs and never thought she'd see him hug anyone. McGee introduces Gibbs and Melissa and Abby snoops a bit and you can just see the light bulb go off in her head as she forms an idea on how to bring father and daughter together for the holidays. Melissa tells Gibbs that while her mother wants nothing more to do with Quinn, the same isn't true of her. She wants very much to reconnect with her father. While talking with Melissa, Gibbs gets a call from Tony that they've found Quinn.

Gibbs goes to The Wall and approaches Quinn one vet to another. He's slightly choked up over the staggering number of names on The Wall. I so very much wish I could go there and take my father.

*pauses to think about The Wall* My father served in the Navy during Vietnam. He was stationed off the coast of Hong Kong on an air craft carrier. You know the opening scene from Top Gun? Where the men are getting the planes ready to take off? That's what my father did. Luckily his ship was on a 'police' assignment, meaning they were there just to make sure Japan didn't try to join this particular conflict like they did WWII. He never saw any fighting and every man he served with came home. That's not to say he doesn't know at least one name on The Wall, just that none of the men whose back pockets he lived in for four years are up there. From what I've been able to determine, every American who had family living here during Vietnam knows at least one name on The Wall. Whether they're family or friends of friends, they know someone who died or is still missing over there.

Sorry about that. Just had to get it off my chest. Back to the show!

The way The Wall is designed is that anyone looking at a name is also looking at a reflection of themselves. He says 'You are among the fallen'. Quinn agrees but says 'You can leave. The names can't'. Gibbs says that 'death is permanent except in your case; Ned Quinn' and Quinn responds with 'Been a long time since someone's called me that'.

Quinn is in an interrogation room. Ducky and Gibbs are watching him. Ducky notices that Quinn is clean and sober and Ziva enters with a list of his personal effects: eight dollars and a key to a long-term downtown hotel room. She comments that there was no ID. Gibbs enters the room where Quinn is and tells him that Metro is on their way and then he'll be their problem. He tries to get Quinn to talk by showing him a picture of Grant. He tries to connect by telling Quinn he's a Marine. I've never seen Gibbs go so gently with a suspect before. He asks for Quinn's version of events at the Taylor's house. Quinn says he didn't kill them and I believe him. The Taylor's picked him up off the street where he was looking for work to help them decorate their house. He says that he was out in the garage looking for decorations and when he went back into the house he found them. There was blood everywhere. The husband was already dead. The wife was on the couch and he put her on the floor to try to perform CPR. Gibbs asks why he ran and Quinn replies 'I've been dead for 17 years, who's going to believe me?' Um, Gibbs just might.

McGee and Tony go to Quinn's room. The manager says he's been there over 12 years. Quinn is now being called Rembrandt. McGee asks if 'Rembrandt' ever gave the manager any trouble and is told 'Never. Pays his rent every Saturday. In cash. Keeps to himself'. Tony snaps on a glove and says 'Alright. We'll say good-bye to you downstairs' when the manager doesn't move he adds 'Bye. Downstairs' and points a finger to the floor then says 'Thanks' and comments on the man's 'sparkling' personality. They find an etching of Grant's name hung on one wall and lots of sketches. McGee says it's not what he expected to find and Tony says it's not what he expected to be doing on Christmas Eve. McGee doesn't believe that Tony has plans.

Quinn tells Gibbs about how he 'died'. There was another tweaker crashing there when the fire broke out. He decided to remain 'dead' out of concern for his wife and daughter. With him dead they got his death benefits. Gibbs asks how he was able to stay off the grid. Quinn tells him it's not hard when no one's looking for ya especially if you pay cash. Ziva is watching through the glass and Abby pops her head in to ask if Gibbs informed Quinn that Melissa is there and wants to meet him. Ziva says no and tells Abby that she can't make this one better because it's a murder investigation. Abby's adamant about Gibbs telling Quinn about his daughter. When Ziva tells her to stay out of it, you can see Abby trying to find a way around both Gibbs and Ziva so she can tell Quinn about his daughter.

Tony finally arrives back at HQ, upset that he missed the party but optimistic that he didn't miss the food. Tony offers some of the leftovers to Ducky, who declines. Gibbs comes in and snags a sandwich and asks what they found at Quinn's place. Tony says that it appears he led a non-criminal and invisible life. McGee pipes up with the fact that he's an artist. Gibbs asks Ducky if he caught the Metro ME and we're told that Mr. Taylor was killed by blunt force trauma to the back of his head, most likely a hammer while Mrs. Taylor died of a heart attack and there is evidence that Quinn is telling the truth, he was trying to save Mrs. Taylor. Gibbs' cell rings and McGee says 'Kill the husband, try to save the wife? It doesn't make sense' and Gibbs informs everyone that Kemp has arrived to take Quinn into custody. Ziva rushes to offer to escort Kemp to the bullpen.

Gibbs goes to see Vance who is packing up to go home, to a pissed off wife. Gibbs' gut is telling him that Quinn is telling the truth and he wants to keep Quinn away from Metro until his team can prove that. With a huge sigh, Vance puts down his packages and prepares to inform his wife that he's not coming home, just yet.

Kemp is showing Ziva pictures on his iPhone. She makes sure to mention just how great Tony's ex looks in a bikini even after two kids while smirking at Tony. Play nice, Ziva! The woman broke Tony's heart. When Kemp asks where Gibbs is so he can take Quinn into custody, Vance walks up and says they're gonna be keeping him a bit longer because of him faking his own death. That means his wife and daughter got his benefits under false pretenses. Kemp's not stupid. He knows something's up but since he's the outsider in NCIS' house, he has no choice but to relent. Before he leaves he says they'll be back *just had a Terminator flashback* with a court order day after Christmas. That gives the team exactly one day, Christmas Day, to find proof that Quinn is innocent of the crimes. Abby walks up and asks what's up and Vance walks off saying he hopes no one has plans. McGee looks slightly put out, Ziva, being Jewish, doesn't seem to really care but Tony does a 'face palm' and Abby looks like it's all her fault.

There's a fake fire on the plasmas which I think is really cute. Gibbs tells the team that they're gonna watch Quinn in shifts and Abby asks what she can do. Gibbs tell her and Duck to go home because it's late. Ducky says he needs to go visit his mother in her new home which answers my earlier question about whether or not she had died. He offers to escort Abby to her car. As they walk out discussing how his mother is driving the nurses crazy, Gibbs makes a comment about how Kemp is focusing on Quinn's fingerprints and nothing else, spurred by Abby's earlier comment about how she should pull a fingerprint off Santa's milk glass. McGee suggests they should do their own investigation. Ziva perks up at the thought of visiting the crime scene. And Tony loves the idea of Kemp getting pissed. McGee googled the Taylors and found out that six months ago Mr. Taylor filed a multi-million dollar patent-infringement lawsuit against Paradigm Industries. Tony sits up straight at that. Turns out that Kemp's father-in-law owns Paradigm Industries. I think we now know why Kemp isn't looking for any other suspects.

Down in interrogation, Quinn is having a nightmare about Vietnam. McGee and Ziva are playing with the Battleship game that was left for Toys For Tots. McGee says he's an expert at repacking and rewrapping gifts. He claims that come Christmas Morning he knew what every gift under the tree was. At this point Quinn knocks on the window looking for Gibbs. Ziva enters his room and he asks when Metro is coming for him. She tells him that due to the holiday it could be a while. Quinn knows she's lying. She covers by asking if he's hungry or if he needs anything. He asks for pencil and paper. Ziva is leery of letting him have a pencil but he promises to not stab himself.

Ziva, Gibbs and Tony arrive at the Taylor's house. Tony bets Gibbs $5 that he can crack the alarm code before Gibbs can pick the lock. Ziva laughs and takes the bet. Tony turns to the keypad and begins to enter the code. Ziva demands to know how he managed it so he tells her 'The one, the four, the seven and the nine are worn. The code had to be a combination of those four numbers. People like to choose numbers that are easy to remember: address, anniversary, birthday, birth year. Being a good Boy Scout I came prepared' he whips out a piece of paper and shoves it in Ziva's face 'The Taylors were born in 1947'. The code was '1947'. At this point Gibbs finishes picking the lock. Tony steps in front of Ziva before she can enter and demands his five bucks. She just twists his arm before slapping the five dollar bill into his hand. The three of them enter the house. Tony asks what they think the police missed and Gibbs says that if they believe Quinn, which I'm pretty sure he does, then he found the wife's body on the couch and moved it to the floor which the police wouldn't have known. Ziva starts looking for evidence on the couch. Tony and Gibbs go to check out the rest of the house.

Back at HQ, Quinn is drawing a picture of Ziva. McGee is trying to find a rapport with him by complimenting him on his skill and asking if he took classes in college. Quinn says the classes were in rehab and McGee eats his foot by saying that he guesses being pre-med didn't leave him much time for electives then says, rather baldly, 'You wanted to be a doctor'. Quinn withdraws and says 'Nam changed things'.

Back at the Taylor's, Tony and Gibbs are in what appears to be an office. Tony says it looks like a chair was moved and Ziva comes in saying she found some fibers, hair and a button. Tony is crouched down examining the carpet, in fact he has his fingers in the little dent where the chair used to be and she almost steps in them. Tony opens the closet behind him and finds the chair and a safe. At this point a scared voice calls out 'Security patrol'. All three turn to find Paul Blart's long lost brother poking his head around the corner. Gibbs flashes his badge. Paul Blart says they received an alarm and Ziva hisses at Tony 'I thought you turned it off!' to which Blart says that it's a double redundant which means that if the code isn't punched in twice it sends a silent alarm. Blart then questions what they're doing there because he knows the police have a suspect. Tony says they asked for their help and Blart says 'They didn't tell us' like the fat kid who got left behind after the game. Blart then tries to flirt with Ziva by talking about how private security doesn't pay very well and he wonders if NCIS takes applications.

Back at HQ, Abby's still trying to get Quinn and Melissa together. McGee finds her in the interrogation observation room looking like the cat that ate the canary. Abby sees this all as some kind of Christmas miracle. She convinces McGee to tell Quinn that Melissa wants to see him and Quinn refuses to see her. In fact he gets pissed. Tells McGee to tell her she was better off when he was dead.

Back at the house, Blart is still trying to get Ziva to pay attention to him so Gibbs rescues her by sending her off to help Tony in the garage. Once she's gone, Blart turns to Gibbs and says 'She's cute'. Dude, she can kill you without breaking a sweat. When Ziva enters the garage, Tony walks up holding a blood stained towel and says 'Think we just got a Christmas present' then flips the towel open to revel the bloody hammer.

Vance calls Gibbs to give him an earful about how they broke into the Taylor's house. Abby and Tony come in and announce that the blood on the hammer matches Mr. Taylor. Abby then drops a bombshell: the only fingerprints on the hammer are Mr. Taylor's and Quinn's. McGee goes to get Quinn ready for Metro to pick him up. Gibbs knows that they have no time left in which to prove this man's innocence especially with the new evidence.

Gibbs questions Quinn about the hammer. Quinn says it was his and when he left he didn't stop to grab his stuff. Gibbs tells him he's getting harder and harder to believe and Quinn explodes with 'Right, Sherlock. Vietnam vet, stoner, a man with no name. It's got to be me.' Gibbs is heartbroken over this. He really feels for the guy but his hands are tied. He informs Quinn that Metro is there and McGee will take him to them.

Kemp is pacing and getting impatient about being kept waiting. He even tries a little DiNozzo baiting which Ziva cuts off by asking if his daughter liked the dollhouse. Kemp sighs and says, rather unenthusiastically, 'She loved it'. Me thinks he's not the family man he wants everyone to think he is. Gibbs comes in and Kemp demands to know where Quinn is and then demands to know why they broke into the crime scene. Gibbs comes back with a demand of his own: 'Are you gonna explain to me why you didn't remove yourself from this case?' which has everyone sitting up and paying attention. Kemp asks why he'd do that and Gibbs tells him about the dirt McGee found on Google about Taylor suing Kemp's father-in-law. Kemp swears he doesn't know about it. As Kemp is leaving, Tony asks Gibbs if he's gonna tell them about finding the murder weapon and Gibbs replies 'He never asked'. *snicker* Yay, Gibbs!

Down in Abby's lab, Gibbs brings her a Caf-Pow and she takes a drink then almost spits it out. They put nutmeg in it for the holidays. Yuck. Of course I find the idea of a Caf-Pow disgusting all on its own. Gibbs asks her what she's found and she tells him that the hair was Mrs. Taylor's, she's still working on the fibers and the button was made exclusively for military and police uniforms, dusting the safe produced an unknown print. She leads him over to the plasma on her wall and then smirks before leaning in and leaving a lipstick stain on his cheek. She has put mistletoe on the ceiling. Gibbs asks if she ran the print through AFIS and she says no. He demands to know why and she says because it wasn't a fingerprint, it was a fabric print. Whoever left that print was probably wearing gloves. As Gibbs is walking out he tells her she just might have redeemed herself and she asks what she did wrong. He tells her he knows she called Melissa. He then pulls out his cell and calls McGee.

McGee was looking to see if anyone deactivated the alarm at the Taylor's and sure enough, someone did at 2:17 am. Gibbs tells Tony to call 'your ex-girlfriend's husband and have him meet us at the Taylor's' and has Ziva get the car. Tony asks if Ziva can make the call while he gets the car. Gibbs just looks at him so he says 'Or not' then under his breath 'I'll do it' and he picks up the phone to call his rival.

Everyone shows up at the Taylor's and Kemp demands to know why they're there. Gibbs says they're going to arrest the murderer and Kemp says he's in a holding cell downtown. Um, no he's not. I bet it's Blart. Kemp is pissed that they're apparently trying to help Quinn beat a double-homicide rap so Tony tells him that the home invasion wasn't for the wife's jewelry or pocket change, it was all about the safe. Gibbs then tells Tony to break in. He does so with great joy. Kemp doesn't know about any safe, which removes him from the suspect list. Gibbs and Tony tell Kemp that Quinn was just trying to save the Taylor's lives and while Quinn was in custody, someone deactivated the alarm to plant the murder weapon, here they tell him it was a hammer, in the garage. Kemp is hung up on the fact that they had a murder weapon and didn't tell him. Sorry, buddy-boy, but you're not a member of this club. Gibbs then asks 'Who knew about the alarm code other than the Taylors?' Ziva comes in to inform them that Blart has arrived. McGee calls him Harvey but I like Blart. He's wearing old leather gloves. Ziva comes out of the house and asks if he lost a button because she found one on the couch where he handcuffed Mrs. Taylor that looks just like the ones on his shirt. Gibbs tells him he also left a print on the safe. McGee takes the gloves out of Blart's pocket and Blart pulls his weapon: a taser gun. No one is scared. In fact Tony is even snarkier than usual. Ziva tells him he only has one shot and it'll be non-fatal. He takes his chances and tasers McGee who goes down on the hood of the car hard. Blart doesn't seem to realize that the five people he's facing are in much better shape than he is and tries to run. Gibbs tackles him easily enough. Tony, ever the helpful one, tells McGee to 'just breathe through it'. I have a feeling that McGee is going to find some way of seriously hurting Tony for that.

Back at HQ, everyone is exchanging their gifts. Ziva got a cotton ball bouquet from Abby, Duck got cuff-links made from spent 9 mm slugs, also from Abs. Tony enters and scuffs his feet to build up static so he can 'shock' McGee. He touches McGee on the ear and he asks if Tony'll stop that because he's still humming from the taser. They're using MTAC to share in a DiNozzo family tradition; caramel popcorn, hot mulled cider and It's a Wonderful Life. Gibbs is absent and Ziva says he said to start without him. Duck asks where he is and Tony searches his memory for where Gibbs told him he was gonna be; taking Quinn to meet Melissa. Quinn doesn't want to do it and Gibbs tells him that he shouldn't throw away this chance to hug his daughter, something Gibbs wishes he could do just one more time. Quinn gives Gibbs a sketch of his Pack. Gibbs then calls his father and wishes him a Merry Christmas.

to the top

Caged

We open with a girl in a cheerleader uniform running through the woods. Suddenly there's a man holding a rusty ax standing in front of her. She screams, rather pathetically, and someone yells 'Cut!'. The 'director' tells her he needs a real scream and gives her the direction of 'Think Halloween II on steroids'. She just glares at him. He suggests a break and she scoffingly says 'yeah'. As she walks away, she pulls out her cell and calls someone, saying that she's only doing this as a favor and 'he should be happy' she's even there. As she rants to whomever she's called, she's stalking around not paying the least bit of attention to where she's stepping. Just as she says 'If it's one thing I can do, it's...' then falls backwards into a well while screaming. The director, who is talking to someone else, calls it 'lame' but then she screams again, and it is definitely a terrified scream. The group rushes over to where she is and find her lying next to a skeleton.

At NCIS HQ, the elevator opens to reveal Ziva and Tony. They're talking about a woman that Tony seems to think was hitting on him. Ziva disabuses him of that notion by telling him that the woman in question is named Hannah and has asked Ziva out. Twice. This does indeed give him pause. But then he starts seeing images of Ziva and Hannah locked in a passionate embrace and well I think we can all follow that particular train of thought.

Tim is having problems of his own. Seems his car is in the shop for repairs and the mechanic is being a jerk. He keeps telling Tim it'll take longer, and more money, than originally estimated. While he's arguing with the guy, Tony and Ziva play a game to see how many octaves Tim's voice will rise when he hears the new total for getting his car back. Tony says 'One octave or two?' and Ziva predicts 'Two'. I'm not sure if it went up one or two but they both seem to take pleasure in his grief. The mechanic swears that Tim's car will be ready the following day and Tim gets him to say this several times because he needs his car. When he gets off the phone Tony tells him he was too easy on the mechanic and Tim tells him that sometimes being a hardass costs you more. Although in this case, it costs him more to be a pushover. Tony makes a comment about Tim getting a lot of wedgies as a kid and Tim replies that he can be tough when he wants. Tony and Ziva just stare at him and Tim is confused by their surprise at that comment. Ziva says that Tim has his strengths and Tony says he also has his weaknesses and that Tim should remember that people can be loved for their weaknesses as well as for their strengths and Gibbs comes around the corner and says 'Well, then, DiNozzo, you must be one very well-loved man' and Tony says 'Thank you for noticing, Boss'. Gibbs walks over to his desk and says 'Squid. Long dead. Let's go' and they all gather their gear and head off. As they're walking to the elevator, Tony asks Ziva if she accepted lunch with Hannah and before she can answer, Tim breezes between them, almost knocking them over.

In the woods, Ducky is in the storm drain/well examining the body and he makes a comment about how pretty the local is. Ziva finds ID on the body and we discover it is Lieutenant Neal Poletto. The name rings a bell with Gibbs. Tony walks up after talking to the director and Ziva asks if he got anything. He tells her he was offered a position as tech advisor on the next film. He says it's gonna be about a psycho sex-crazed ex-cop and Tim offers the title of 'The Life and Times of Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo'. Ducky cuts in with a description of the wounds on the body. Gibbs knows about the wounds before Ducky can mention them all and they all head back to NCIS HQ so he can tell them about the killer.

The killer's name is Celia Roberts, Tony thinks she's good looking. She's currently in prison. Put there by Gibbs. She's serving 175 years. Tony quips that he hears the first 100 are the hardest. Tony thinks it's open and shut but Gibbs says they need her to admit it. Ziva thinks she can get the confession because she's a woman and women open up to other women. Sorry, Ziva, but I wouldn't open up to you. You scare me. *shudders* Tony thinks he can get the confession because Celia has been stuck in prison with all women and she just might like to see a man who's not wearing a prison guard uniform. Gibbs sends Tim. Tony doesn't think Tim can handle it and Ziva tries to boost Tim's confidence by saying that just the week before Tim convinced her to give him $10. I don't think it worked.

At the prison, Tim stores his weapon in one of the lockers provided, hands his coat over to a guard and follows another over to the visitor area. On the way he runs into an ex-girlfriend. She's a bit unhinged. As in future stalker material. As he walks through the room to the lawyer room, he gets the stink eye from several of the inmates. In the room, he thanks Celia for seeing him and she asks if she had a choice. He shows her two pictures of Poletto and she doesn't easily admit to being the murderer. We they fall silent, we can fear arguing from outside the room. Tim tries to get her to confess by telling her that because Poletto was found in a different state she could be looking at the death penalty. If she confesses he can see about having some time added to her current sentence instead. She still won't give in. Suddenly the raised voices on the other side of the door get louder and sounds of a struggle can be heard. Tim gets up and goes to the door just as two inmates open it and drag him out.

Abby approaches Tim's desk and Ziva tells her he's out. Abby says she knows 'he's slumming at the prison'. She's just returning his computer game and Ziva admits she doesn't see the point. Says it shortens attention span (she obviously hasn't ever seen a group of computer nerds play Halo or WoW for hours at a time), curbs productivity (only when played at work, Ziva) and it kills brain cells. Tony moans 'Enough with the long sentences. Who can follow all that?' in that teasing way he has. Tony then puts a picture of Tim and the suspect up on the plasma and using photo shop makes him look a bit like jack Nicolson's Joker while saying 'This is what he looks like before he tries to break the hooker from hell. And this is him after she gets into his head' and he changes the picture to show Tim screaming. Abby chuckles and Gibbs comes around the corner and asks 'How about a picture of you actually working, DiNozzo?' and Tony stammers "I'm w-w-working…on that'. Gibbs sits at his desk just as the phone rings; it's someone telling them about the riot. Abby wants to know what's going on and Gibbs tells her softly 'I'll call you'.

In the prison, Tim has been handcuffed to the window along with the other guards. One is dead on the ground. All the women are blaming each other for what happened. Celia demands to know what happened and all she gets are statements like 'I didn't do it', 'I was only defending myself' and 'Trimble came in bleeding like a stuck pig'. The guards are talking and Tim asks what happened. They're not sure. Everything was fine, then Trimble came stumbling in, bleeding and then he collapsed and the inmates went off. The inmates still have their families present since this all happened during visiting hours and some want to get them out of there. One woman suggests giving up and Tim agrees which earns him some death glares. One inmate asks who he is and Celia says 'A cop' which just puts the women's hackles up even further. He then gets the threat of 'They rush us; you're the first to die'. He hastens to correct them by telling them he's not a cop but an NCIS agent. Like they care. To them there is no difference. The one who suggested giving up says she's only got a year left. She just wants to do her time and get out because she's got kids. The one who threatened Tim, Angela, says that it don't matter because they'll all get blamed and Celia agrees, then starts trying to organize them.

Gibbs and team arrive while the warden is trying to form a plan to get his men in the visitor room. He asks if an air duct will hold a man's weight and none of his men speak up. In fact, they all just glance at each other like 'I dunno. Do you?' When Gibbs enters he asks who's in charge. I've never seen this before. When introducing himself to the warden, Halsey, he just says 'Gibbs. NCIS' He usually says 'Special Agent Gibbs' or something like that. Gibbs then asks where Tim is and is told that he's in the visitor center and that the inmates have control of it. Ziva then asks if he's alive and is told that the cameras are out. Gibbs asks if Halsey is going to retake it by force and he says he will if he has to. Tony asks about the hostages and is told that the prison has a no-hostage policy which means everyone who enters the gates gives up their right to be rescued. Halsey tells them that he has men in there too so he'll do everything he can to minimize casualties. Gibbs asks if Halsey has any experience in hostage recovery and is told that there is an emergency response plan and Gibbs asks if Halsey has ever put it into action. Halsey just walks away and Tony says "Take that as a no'.

Back in the visitor center, Tim asks what Angela's in for. She's in for armed robbery, kidnapping and murder. He then asks about the one next to her, the one who wants to go home. Sharon Bellows. Killed her boyfriend claims he put her in the hospital. She calls it self-defense, the judge called it manslaughter. He carries the 'introduces' on to another woman. Judy Williams. Killed her 80-year-old neighbor for her meds. Kayla Vicari. She's in for cooking Meth. Kayla asks if they want to send out an ear or a finger to show they're serious. Judy says that's crazy and Tim agrees. Angela then gets up and walks over to Tim. She says that it shouldn't come from a guard 'cause that'll just piss them off so she takes Tim's hand and tells the other women to hold him and if he screams to slit his throat. He tries to get her to stop and listen to him. He tells her it's a bad idea and she asks if he has a better one.

In the hall outside the warden's office, Tony's cell rings. It's Abby. Tony has a bad feeling about all this and Ziva asks if they can go over Halsey's head. Gibbs says it's his ball, which I'm guessing is his way of saying 'not yet'. Halsey exits the office to tell Gibbs that one of the inmates used a confiscated radio to tell him that they have demands and they want to show him they're serious. Gibbs is all 'show you' with air quotes and Halsey says that one of them is coming out. Gibbs is hesitant and Halsey reminds him it's not his jurisdiction. Gibbs asks him how often he does this kind of thing. He lets Gibbs accompany him when he goes to meet with whoever is coming out, reminding all the way that Gibbs is not calling the shots. Seems to me he doth protest too much. The inmates have sent Tim to do the talking. Halsey isn't thrilled that Tim's the negotiator and Gibbs is pleased that one of his team is on the inside. When asked what the situation is Tim says that he can only deal directly with Gibbs. He tells Gibbs that the guards are handcuffed in the southwest corner with inmates scattered throughout armed with batons and shards of glass. When asked about casualties he tells them that Trimble is dead. Even says that it appears that Trimble's death is the cause of the riot. He says they only want Trimble's killer punished and no one else to even get a reprimand for injuries to the guards given during the riot. The final demand is that Halsey is to not attempt to retake the visitor center while NCIS investigates the murder. If all demands are agreed to, they will release the body, the injured guard and the visitors.

My stupid DVR deleted this before I could finish. So here's what I remember:

I think Halsey tries to retake the center, but can't really remember. I do remember that Gibbs argues with him that he'll get lots of people killed if he doesn't let Tim do his job.

It turns out Trimble was abusing the inmates sexually. One of them was Sharon. She was tired of it and when she said no, he tried to force her. His death was accidental but no one was going to believe that so Celia took the fall. When Tim got back to NCIS HQ, he called about his car. His mechanic was giving him the run around, again, and Tim said, calmly but with a bite, that the mechanic would finish the car within a few hours and he would honor the original estimate. Tony didn't think he'd get what he 'asked' for but the mechanic heard the future 'Alpha' in Tim and agreed.

to the top

Broken Bird

We open on a sailor and a woman walking out of a hotel. It's obvious they just spent some time in bed together. The woman walks away and the sailor turns around and sees another woman. His wife? His girlfriend? She says 'I can't believe you did this to me. You stabbed me in the back' then stabs him in the gut and says 'At least I looked you in the eyes'. He falls to the ground as the woman hurries away and a crowd forms around him with people urging others to call 911.

Tony and Ziva are trying to figure out what's in the huge box on Tim's desk. Tony suggests cookies and Ziva tells him they'd have to be huge to come in such a big box. Tony then suggests winter clothes. They both lift the box and Ziva drops her end and says 'Too heavy'. Tony grunts and pulls his fingers out from under his end and says 'I'm bored. I don't want to play anymore. I don't care' while walking back to his desk. Ziva pulls her knife and says 'Well, I am opening it' and Tony looks relieved as he spins on his heel and says 'Thank God!' while hurrying back to Tim's desk. At this point, Tim comes walking around the corner. His eyes light up when he sees the box and he says 'Oh, goody. They're here!' He opens the box and pulls out…a Mac SE. For those who don't know, it's one of the very first personal computers from way back in the 80s. He got this one for his 11th birthday. Tony says 'This is going to get really strange, isn't it?' and Ziva quips back with 'Going to?' Tim continues to pull old computers from the box. He pulls a laptop out of the box and says 'Look at this. Here I am making the transition to PC' and Tony says 'I'll alert the Smithsonian. Maybe they can make a space for your exhibit: 'The Chronicles of a Teenage Shut-in' and Tim asks Tony how he remembers his childhood and Tony replies 'Vaguely' which reminds me of a story I'm currently reading that talks about Tony's childhood. It's very painful to read and makes perfect sense when you look at how Tony responds to certain things. Tim says something about Tony not having a sense of history and Gibbs enters and says 'I do. And so does Petty Officer Kevin Lim.' Ziva asks 'He is history?' and Gibbs replies 'Oh, yeah. Let's go. Grab your mittens. It's cold out there' and the team head out to the crime scene.

Gibbs and Tony are questioning the woman Lim was exiting the hotel with before he was stabbed and he asks if she saw who did it. She says she didn't have to she knows it was Cheryl, Lim's ex-fiancée. Tony is very serious here and tells her he needs to take her statement. As Tony leads her off into the hotel so they can have some privacy for her to give her statement, Tim approaches and says a woman reported seeing another woman with blood on her turn the corner. Gibbs asks if it was the 'stewardess', the woman Lim was with, and Tim says she doesn't fit 'the flight attendant's description'. The fact that Gibbs called her a 'stewardess' and Tim called her a 'flight attendant' just emphasizes the differences in their ages.

Ducky and Palmer have arrived and Ducky is giving poor Palmer what-for for getting them lost. Apparently the hotel is on I Street and Palmer missed it because he was following the alphabet and was expecting I Street to be two streets past K Street. Turns out DC doesn't have a J Street. Anyone care to hazard a guess as to why? Ducky goes off on a tangent about how the city was designed and Palmer says he failed one class and that doesn't make him a bad student in response to Ducky's comment about him spending too much time in the food court at George Washington University. When Ziva asks why there is no J Street Ducky's response is interrupted by her phone ringing. It's Gibbs telling her to meet him at 13th and L. As she leaves, Palmer tells Ducky he'll make up the class and Ducky tells him to make it up to him right now. Ziva tells an officer that he's to maintain the scene then ducks under the tape and we see a woman with a green head scarf turn and watch her walk away.

Grrrr. Again my stupid DVR has deleted this before I could finish the review. Here's what I remember: Ducky was stabbed in the hand by the woman in the green head scarf. She claims he's guilty of war crimes. NCIS investigates and proves that while, yes, he was present while crimes against humanity were being committed, he wasn't directly involved. In fact, he was one of the victims because the man who was abusing the prisoners was using them against Ducky. He was playing head games with poor Ducky and every time Duck would heal one of the 'subjects', they would return with even worse injuries. The man responsible wanted to see what it would take to make Ducky break. The title comes from a scene at Ducky's house. He's there with Torri Higginson's character, Dr. Jordan Hampton. There's a bird caught in the house that dies. There's some folk tale about what it means when I bird gets caught inside and dies, but I can't remember what it is. Jordon goes to get a shoe box for the bird and before they can bury it, it comes back to life.

to the top

Love & War

Not sure what happened to this one. I think I either deleted it by mistake or my DVR deleted it before I got to review it.

to the top

Deliverance

We open on a punk trying to buy a gun from a jerk. The kid is given several different pistols then he's given a Tech 9. At first he just shoots at a pipe on the floor of the abandoned garage they're in, then a mattress. Finally he shoots at the ceiling and a body falls down, and hangs upside down with a pair of dog tags visible around his neck. The jerk takes off but the kid is frozen in place.

Tony enters the bullpen and asks Tim if he missed anything. Tim hands Tony a message slip and tells him that Melinda called to postpone. Apparently Tony has forgotten who this Melinda person is because he asks what she has to postpone and Tim doesn't have an answer. Tony then asks how she sounded and Tim's confused by the question. Tony starts giving suggestions for how she might have sounded; devastated, despondent. Ziva suggests 'Delighted'. Tony then asks if Melinda left a number and Tim says she didn't. Tony then rants about how people are supposed to get a name, number and a complete message. Tony pulls out his 'little black book' and Ziva comes over. When she tries to grab it from him he manages to pull it out of her reach. She asks how many Melindas he has in it and he says he doesn't know. He then says 'It could have been the girl I talked to at the gym' and Ziva says 'You don't go to the gym'. He then says 'Maybe it was the girl I talked to at the dog park' to which Tim replies 'You don't have a dog'. Guess Tim didn't think Gibbs would let Tony put a leash on him when he's in wolf form and take him to the park. Tony then says 'Oh, it could have been that girl I met at the concession stand while my date was in the bathroom'. Ziva tells him he needs a secretary and Tim says 'Or a therapist' to which Gibbs replies 'Or both' as he rounds the corner. He tells the team to saddle up because there were shots fired in Liberty Heights. Ziva starts to say something about how often shots are fired in that part of DC and Gibbs cuts her off with 'Yeah, well, Metro responded. They found a dead Marine.'

At the scene, Tim has discovered that the victim is PFC Emilio Salazar. He joined the Marines just four months ago and is scheduled for deployment next week. Gibbs asks about Ducky and is told he's stuck in traffic and should be there in about 20 minutes. Ziva finds the shell casings from the 9mm the kid was playing with earlier. She thinks there might have been two guns. She then points at a wall and we see a huge hole in it. She says that it appears to be a .357 and since there are no casings from that kind of gun she thinks it might have been a revolver. Tony says 'One shooter, three weapons'. Gibbs says that there are two sets of footprints. They then make suggestions for why that is. Maybe one was a spotter, a lookout or a witness. Gibbs approaches the victim and has Tony take pictures of a faded tat on Salazar's arm. Tim says that new Marine regs forbid visible tats and it appears he had it removed (but not very well if we can still see it) by laser. Tim tries to read it and Gibbs walks away while pointing at some graffiti and says the tat looks just like it. Tony says that the bullets hit the skylight and killed Salazar, sending him on a very short bungee plunge (Salazar has a chain wrapped around his ankles which is keeping him from falling to the floor). Ziva doesn't understand why they would kill their hostage from below and Tony says 'Maybe they were sending a message. The kind McGee takes – cryptic, hard to decipher.' You just know that this is going to be the theme of Tony's hazing of Tim this episode.

On the roof, Ziva finds some blood which is dried. This throws the team because the 'shots fired' call was less than an hour ago. There are a pair of cuffs and signs that he was up there for a while. Tony makes a comment about preferring the fur-lined cuffs and Gibbs just gives him a look. Tony tries to make it better by saying 'Not really, Boss. That's for her. I don't wear the cuffs'. Ziva moves a blanket and we see a number (817657320G) written in blood. Ziva thinks it might be a phone number. Gibbs says it's not a phone number. Tim starts writing it down and says that he has no idea what the 'G' stands for but it's nine digits and could be a military service number. He says he'll run it and Gibbs tells him he doesn't have to because it's his military service number.

Vance is looking at a picture of the bloody number and wants to know where Gibbs is. Tony says he doesn't know but he'll 'give him the message. And the nature of the message. I'll include who it's from and the number' while looking directly at Tim who just scoffs and rolls his eyes in a 'grow up Tony' kind of way. Ziva wants to know why someone would leave Gibbs' Marine service number at a rooftop crime scene. Tony gets up to leave Vance's message on Gibbs' desk and the phone rings. Tony answers and makes a point of taking a message while Tim and Ziva try to not laugh at how childish he's being. Tim tells Tony he's had enough then digs a hole for himself by asking if Tony wants him to go through the database of all incoming calls from that morning to find the one that Tony missed and Tony says 'Yeah, actually, that'd be great. Thanks'. Gibbs arrives and Tony tries to stay out of his way behind the desk while trying to tell him about his two messages. The one from Vance and the one on Gibbs' phone about an incoming flight that lands at 2:30. Gibbs doesn't appear to have hear a word Tony said. While Tony's babbling, Gibbs says 'Dead Marine?' and Tim puts Salazar's service record, what little there is, up on the screen. Salazar has not only a military record, but also a criminal one. I could've sworn you couldn't get into the military with any kind of record. Salazar's goes back to when he was 12 and all his charges are gang related. Ziva says the name of the gang Pecados Capitales and Tony translates it into 'Capital Fish'. Ziva says 'Deadly Sins, you idiot. Fish is pescado' apparently she's unaware that he was a Templar Knight and therefore speaks Latin better than she does. He tells her 'Don't scoff at me. Lots of gangs are named after deadly fish. There's the Sharks, there's the Barracudas, Rumble Fish…' by this point you can tell he's just making up names. Gibbs is unimpressed. Tim says that the gang is also known as The PCs. Tony says it sounds like they're right up Tim's alley and calls him McMotherboard. Gibbs doesn't understand how Salazar could survive six years in a gang but not four months in the Marines. Tim thinks maybe the other members didn't want him to leave and Ziva suggests that he might have been killed by a rival gang. None of these explain why Gibbs' service number was found at the site. Gibbs wants them to focus on finding the killer and his voice is growly, like he's fighting back tears. Ziva wants to search for the other person who may have been held on the roof but Gibbs tells her to just find the shooter. As he's walking out Tony hollers that Vance wants him to call ASAP and Gibbs replies that he heard him the first time.

At a Marine shooting range, most likely at Quantico, Tony tells Ziva to keep her eyes off the toys. Is he talking about the men in uniform, who are all barely legal, or the guns? Or both? She says she hasn't been to the range in days and the range master tells them there's no talking on the range. Tony says that that's going to be a real problem because he's real talky and he has a badge. Tony asks if there's somewhere they can go to talk and the Staff Sergeant tells his men to cease fire and to put their guns away. As the noise in the room stops, Tony pulls his earplugs out and says 'thank you'. You know he has to hate going to the range. Must be hell on his hearing. Ziva tells Sergeant Medina that one of his men was killed. He seems upset by the news. Medina isn't able to help much. All he knows is that Salazar was in a gang before he joined and he had the usual troubles of someone who was trying to escape that life. Ziva is looking at the guns the newbies are using and mentions to Medina that they're 9mm Berettas. Medina tells her she's free to shoot one, if she'd like. She steps closer and asks for his weapon. Tony does not want to go back in there. At this point I can't tell if Ziva never removed her earplugs or if she wasn't wearing any to begin with because we don't see her put any in or take any out. She shoots once, the clears the chamber, catching the shell and handing it and the gun back to Medina. She tells him she prefers the SIG. Medina gets all male on her and says that lots of women have trouble with the Beretta because it has too much of a kick. While they're talking, Tony pulls in Ziva's target. She tells Medina that his sight is a few millimeters off and walks out. He doesn't believe her but Tony just slaps Ziva's target into his chest and follows his partner out. When Medina looks down, there's a hole right in the center of the target's forehead.

In autopsy, Ducky is telling Gibbs about Salazar's wounds. Ducky comments on how Gibbs left the scene before Ducky, something he's never done before, and Gibbs just says he had something else to do. Ducky asks if it has to do with his service number. Vance walks up and says he'd like to know that too.

Vance goes to his contacts and asks for Gibbs' service record. Turns out his record is top secret and he did black ops.

Gibbs arrives at his house and Franks is in his basement complaining about Gibbs not having any scotch. Gibbs questions that, saying 'Ah, you couldn't sweet talk the flight attendant out of a few of those little bottles?' to which Franks replies 'He wasn't my type'. Franks wants to know why he's in DC instead of spending time with his granddaughter who just turned two. Gibbs tells him he's looking for someone and says 'Rose'. Franks sidesteps the question by asking if Vance knows he's there yet. Whatever's going on has to do with Columbia. Franks is the only one who knows about her. Franks reminds Gibbs that that was 18 years ago. Gibbs tells him that she's in DC and Franks asks how he knows. Gibbs tells him about finding his service number at a crime scene. Franks is stalling by saying that could have been anyone but Gibbs says he put a 'G' on the end just for her. Franks then admits he brought her to the states 17 years ago but hasn't spoken to her since he dropped her off. They head out to where Franks left her.

Gibbs can't believe that Franks put her in the heart of gang-territory and Franks tells him it wasn't like that back then. As they walk around looking for Rose Tamayo, they pass several gang members who you can tell just know they're cops but even so, the boy who answers the door they knock on gets his mother. Franks asks for Rose and is told she died 10 ago.

They go to NCIS HQ and encounter Vance as they're getting off the elevator. Vance is not amused. Franks and Vance have a conversation that holds some deeper meaning, I'm sure, so I'm going to write it here.
Franks: Thanks for sorting out that little pension problem, Leon. Appreciate it.
Vance: I didn't do anything I wouldn't have done for any former agent, Mike. All by the book.
Franks: Absolutely. By the book.
Vance: That's how we operate now.
Franks: Wouldn't have it any other way, Leon.
Vance then shares a look with Gibbs and I'm pretty sure the hidden meaning in the conversation with Franks is to be careful about helping Gibbs with the case.

Gibbs asks what the team knows and Ziva says they canvassed the area but no one is talking. She says there's a 'smurf war' and Tony corrects her. I find it irritating that the writes think a trained spy would mangle slang so badly. Unless they want us to think she's doing it on purpose... She says they matched the bullet that killed Salazar with an unsolved robbery two weeks ago. Metro's prime suspect is a Victor Carmado aka Popeye. Tony says that he's a known member of the PCs and Franks says he was hanging out in Liberty Heights when him and Gibbs were there. Gibbs sends Tony and Ziva to pick him up.

Down in the lab, Abby's dancing when Gibbs and Franks come in. She greets Franks like a long lost father. When she asks what he's doing in DC he replies 'Probie thinks I'm here helping him, but it was just an excuse to come see you' as they hug. When they pull back, Gibbs sticks the Caf-Pow in his hand in between them. Abby goes off on a geek-tangent about how it's beyond cool that someone wrote Gibbs' service number on a rooftop and he showed up, comparing it to sending out a bat signal or Princess Leia sending the hologram to Obi-Wan Kenobi. She tells them that the blood that Gibbs' number was written in doesn't belong to Salazar, which Gibbs already knew, it belonged to Tomas Tamayo. Gibbs and Franks share a look and Abby comments that apparently that is news to them. Gibbs is angry that Franks didn't tell him that Rose had a son. As they leave the lab Franks tells Gibbs to take this one slow because he might not like where it leads him.

Back in Liberty Heights, Tony and Ziva have arrived to arrest Carmado. They approach where he's sitting and everyone pulls an earbud out and Tony quips 'Are we all listening to the same song? Let me guess…Ricky Martin fans 'Livin' La Vida Loca'. Popeye tells them to leave and Tony's all 'But we just got here' and is told the neighborhood is dangerous. Oh, honey, you have no idea to whom you are speaking. Tony's looking around and says 'That's why I brought her'. Popeye tells his men, in Spanish, that she's police and one of them says she's pretty. Tony tells them that she'll kick their ass while walking around. You can tell he really wants to Shift and show them what true danger is. Popeye tells Ziva that 'bad things happen in this place, bonita' and Tony says, looking at a boarded over window with graffiti, 'But it's so homey, homey'. He makes a comment about the graffiti 'Snoopy love Chiquita' and asks 'Which one of you sleeps on a dog house and which one's a banana?' He approaches the one who called Ziva pretty and the big guy next to him and says he's guessing the love's between them two. Popeye has had enough and gets up, making some kind of signal. One of his men taps his fist into his open palm and Tony wonders if they want to play 'rock-paper-scissors'. Popeye gives Tony the stink eye then takes off running. As Tony turns to follow he asks if Ziva has the others. She assures him she does and Tony is free to give chase. I'm pretty sure he's wishing he could Shift and just take a bite of this jerk's ass. As it is he doesn't have to chase him far before he's able to yank him to the ground by the collar of his shirt. Popeye calls for Rico and Chuy and Tony says 'Rico Suave's stuck in the '90s and Chewy's back with the Millennium Falcon'. As he's pulling him to his feet via his cuffed wrists, he says 'Let's go see how La Bonita did'. As Tony rounds the corner, Ziva asks 'What took you so long?' and we see Rico and Chuy writhing in pain on the ground.

Back at HQ, Tim's on the phone when Abby walks up. She asks what he's doing and he tells her that some woman called for Tony and he didn't get the number because it was blocked by the carrier and so he's trying to get a trace and she tells him to hang up because what she has to say is much more important. Abby's in gossip mode. She wants to know if Tomas is Gibbs' son.

Gibbs and Franks are back in Liberty Heights looking for Tomas. They find a woman called Maggie Scott who becomes the guardian to a lot of the kids from there. She tells them that Tomas was supposed to be on leave in Cape Hatteras before Afghanistan. Franks jumps the gun and tells her that's wrong. Maggie explains that she moved to the area after college as part of the Vista program, she says it like Franks and Gibbs are supposed to know what she's talking about, and never left. Gibbs asks her to tell them about Thomas and she says 'Tomas moved in about 12 years back.' I'm guessing she doesn't like it when people Americanize a foreign name. Tomas shows up.

Gibbs takes Tomas to interrogation and begins to question him. Tomas still won't tell him what he wants to know. Even with the evidence that they know he was there he refuses to admit to it. Tony and Ziva are watching and wondering why Gibbs is going so easy with the kid when Popeye starts banging on the wall. When Tony walks in he says 'Cool it, Coolio. No gang-banging on the walls'. Apparently Popeye isn't as tough as he likes to make out because when Ziva threatens him he sits down his attitude goes from surly 'I can kick your ass' to 'please don't hurt me'. They tell Popeye that he won't be going home anytime soon because he's going to prison for murder. Their evidence is the bullets from Salazar and the robbery and a 9mm found in a storm drain. Popeye doesn't think this is enough because he laughs at them.

Back in the other room, Gibbs is trying to talk Tomas into giving him a confession by telling him he's looking at 10 years for accessory.

Popeye confesses to killing Salazar. Tony asks for details. He didn't do it because he says the kill shot was to the head.

Gibbs tells Tomas that Salazar suffered. But he still maintains he wasn't there.

The four of them get together on the walk back to the bullpen and discuss the fact that there's more to the story than meets the eye. Franks says there's someone pulling the strings and Tim says he thinks he knows who. Turns out that Staff Sergeant Medina was a member of the PCs.

Vance calls Gibbs to his office to discuss his record. Gibbs says he has nothing to hide.

Franks and Gibbs go to interrogate Medina. They ask how many he's killed and he lists seven, all overseas. Medina claims his alibi is him watching TV. He says he got out of the life because he didn't want to be dead or in jail so he joined up and then went back to pull others out. Ziva arrives to show Gibbs a picture of Medina that was taken in Baltimore. Medina says he went to visit his son. When he was 15 he got a girl preggers and his wife doesn't know about the boy.

Franks is pacing and thinking aloud. Tony and Ziva want to go back to the part where they find out what Gibbs was doing in Colombia and how it's connected to the gang. Gibbs let Tomas go so they could follow him to see who is pulling the strings. When Tony and Ziva try to follow he tells them to go to MTAC with Tim. Vance decides to read Gibbs' record. Franks thinks Tomas is Gibbs' son.

Tony keeps throwing out theories of what Gibbs could have been doing in Colombia. Vance says it's classified and then asks if what they're doing is classified, too, or can they share with their director. Tim tells him that they're tracking a suspect for Gibbs. Vance asks if Franks is with Gibbs and Tony just looks at his hands, all innocent like, which is all the answer Vance needs. Tomas is now heading to Liberty Heights and Vance wants to know what Tomas and Salazar's duty assignment at Quantico was. They were both guards for the armory. Vance asks for base security.

In Liberty Heights, Gibbs has arrived. Vance calls to tell him that there are some guns missing. Tomas gets a call and tells the other person to come get the guns. Several gang-bangers arrive. Medina arrives and tries to be a hero. It all goes to shit quickly but there's a CCTV camera nearby that Vance has Tim take control of so he can keep an eye on what's going down. Vance orders an ambulance and back-up. We find out that Medina ordered Tomas to take the guns so he could handle the problem on his own.

Maggie is watching Tomas' interrogation and wants to talk to him. Gibbs offers the opportunity to save him. She was the one who wanted the guns. She claims it was for the kids. She seriously thought if she armed them then the gangs would leave them alone.

Turns out that Melinda is from Tony's dentist office. Tony asks Franks if Tomas is Gibbs' son and he doesn't answer.

Gibbs gets Tomas off because he helped the investigation. Tomas tells him a story his mother used to tell him about a Marine she saved. We find out that Rose was already pregnant when Gibbs met her which means he isn't Tomas' father.

Vance tells Gibbs he knows about his mission to kill a drug cartel, torturer and rapist. The man Gibbs had to kill was Tomas' father.

to the top

Bounce

We open on a man dragging a heavy suitcase from a hotel room. He takes it down the hall and dumps it down the trash chute. When it lands in the bin, it opens to reveal its contents: a dead body. He then goes to check out and uses Tony's name.

Tony's at his desk pouring soda water into a glass when Tim and Ziva arrive. When Ziva greets him, Tony pulls an earplug out of his ear and answers their questions in a voice that sounds like he's about to puke his guts out. We learn that there were visiting NCIS agents from Tokyo and Tony showed them around. He ended up doing sake bombs. He says he barely made it out of there alive and Ziva says 'And now you're hoping to finish the job'. Tony just responds with 'McGee, say words'. Tim begins to explain: 'What you see before you, Ziva, is the DiNozzo Defibrillator. It's been passed down through six generations." Ziva says her family also has a hangover remedy: jasmine tea with lime. Tony proclaims it to be disgusting and asks them to remind him to never have a hangover in Israel. Gibbs comes around the corner and says 'DiNozzo' in an uncharacteristically soft voice. Tony says 'Not that I have a hangover now, Boss. You know I'd never drink on a school night.' Gibbs then asks where Tony was the night before and Tony tells the truth: drinking. Gibbs asks if he was alone and Tony assures him he was not. Tony then says 'Not that there's anything wrong with drinking bourbon alone in your basement…with a boat'. Gibbs just looks at him and Tony asks 'What were we talking about?' and Gibbs replies 'Your alibi'. Tony's shocked that he needs an alibi.

Over at the crime scene, Tim's taking pictures of the dead guy and he asks who would want to impersonate Tony and Ziva suggests Jack Nicholson, in a form of impersonation revenge. Tim thinks maybe it's a frame-up and Ziva instantly thinks of Jeanne but she's overseas. Tim then suggests Trent Kort. Tim then mentions how the seams are split and he gets depressed. Ziva thinks he's upset over the man being dumped like a piece of trash but he's not. He's upset because he just bought the same duffel bag. He says that the reviews claimed the seams were a problem and Ziva tries to bring him back on topic by reminding him the dead man's folded in half. It works.

Gibbs and Tony are in the lobby and one clerk shows them where Tony's name was signed into the register. Tony says 'Well, that's my name. It's not my signature, but it's my name. *chuckles* And to think, I almost made it an entire year without being accused of murder.' The other clerk says the guy did look a lot like Tony, but then again Tony has common coloring and features. He tells her she's not helping and she snarks back with 'Was a little more fit, though.' Gibbs begins to ask for security tapes and the room key only to find the male clerk has them already and is all but shoving them at Gibbs. When Gibbs asks if he's in a bit of a rush he's told that yes, they are because they want 'this off the floor because the Rosewood has a reputation to uphold' he then says if they need anything else to let him know and he hands Tony his card but Gibbs snatches it first. Tony is glaring at the pretty female clerk and Gibbs grabs him by the shoulder to get him moving. Tony says something about how when he woke up 'those last four shots seemed like a bad idea'. I fully expect him to say something else after that but he doesn't. Gibbs tells him he doesn't need an alibi as far as Gibbs is concerned but he's glad Tony has one, unlike the other times he's been accused where he didn't.

Ducky and Jimmy have arrived and are examining the body. Ducky's telling a story about his mother and Cirque de Soleil and Jimmy tries to one-up Ducky by talking about one of the tumblers. When Gibbs and Tony walk up Gibbs tells Jimmy to 'quit while you're behind'. Tim then reads the ID on the body and the man's name, Grady, rings a bell with Tony. Tony asks what the man did for a living and is told he was a mailman. Gibbs asks Ducky if he has a cause of death yet and is told he was strangled and then stabbed. Tim says there's nothing in the alley where the body is and Tony says the room's clear as well to which Tim replies 'Well, it is your room' and Tony calls him 'McBackstabber'. Ziva approaches and says that the two witnesses, a maid and a businessman, gave descriptions that match Tony. Tony decides he's had enough and leaves. Ziva says that they should maybe go easy on him but Tim reminds her that Tony wouldn't go easy on them. Of course none of them have been accused of murder, what? three times now? so maybe they should go easy on him. At the car, Tony's approached by the man who impersonated him. And judging by the shock on his face when he turns around, Tony knows exactly who this man is.

The man who is impersonating Tony, Renny Grant, is in interrogation and Tony and Gibbs are in the observation room discussing him with Gibbs looking through Renny's file. Renny was a civilian who worked at the pentagon. He was Tony's first collar as 'boss' when Gibbs took his leave of absence after the explosion three years ago. He calls it a sabbatical and Gibbs turns to give him a look. He tries intermission and Gibbs' look melts into a half-smile so he says 'It was a hiatus really'. Gibbs enlightens us to why NCIS has a file on him; he was arrested for embezzlement of a Navy credit union. The case seemed open and shut but they never found the million bucks he was convicted of stealing. When Gibbs says it wasn't so 'open and shut' because of that, Tony remarks that it happens sometimes, to mere mortals. Renny was sentenced to five years. He got supervised release three months ago and the co-worker who testified against Renny was …Grady, the dead man from earlier.

Tony and Gibbs enter the room where Renny's being held and Tony asks if Renny missed him. (I'd been reading reviews that stated that Tony's suits seem to be too small and hadn't really noticed…until now. His suit is awfully tight, mostly the pants. Gibbs is falling down on the job of providing for his Mate apparently.) Renny replies that he missed a lot of things: his family, his girl, a nice prime rib Madeira, but not Tony. Renny says that nothing much has changed, except for the grey hair and Tony jumps to his Mate and Alpha's defense and tells Renny to show some respect and informs him that 'his name's Special Agent Gibbs' and Renny says he was talking about Tony. Tony, of course, immediately turns to the mirror and begins looking for those grey hairs. Renny goes on to talk about how three years is a long time and in an 8X10 cell it feels like 30.Gibbs asks if that's why he killed the guy who put him there and Renny claims that he didn't kill him. Gibbs says 'Hm. So Lieutenant Grady stuffed himself into a duffle bag.' Renny then demands to talk to Tony alone. Tony says it doesn't work that way and Renny claims that he came to them and he didn't have to. Gibbs gets up and walks out saying only 'Coffee'. Renny asks if the coffee machine is in the other room and Tony just says 'He's gone. Talk'. Renny is maintaining his innocence of the embezzlement charges. Tony says he's already tried that route and Renny claims he can prove it, to which Tony replies 'I'm more interested in why the star witness from your case showed up in your duffle bag' and Renny quips 'He wouldn't fit in my Samsonite'. Renny claims he just wanted to talk to Grady, find out why someone he considered a friend would accuse him of embezzlement. He knew Grady wouldn't talk to him so he pretended to be Tony when he set up the meeting. After checking in, he went out to eat and when he got back Grady was dead on the floor of his room. Tony tells him that the last time he told a tale that thin he got sentenced to five years. Renny says he remembers and wishes he had the evidence he has now, back then. He pulls a necklace from around his neck and drops it on the table. It's a USB flash drive with the paper trail that proves his innocence. He tells Tony that he owes it to Renny to look at the evidence. Tony puts the necklace on and tells Renny that he's not sure if he'll be able to get to it because 'I don't know if you've heard, but I'm in the middle of a murder investigation'. And he leaves the room. In the hall, Gibbs is waiting and Tony tells him to not believe a word Renny says because they have motive and opportunity. Gibbs just says 'Uh-huh'. Tony says 'I know. Why'd he come back?' as he hands the file off and Gibbs says 'That's a good question…Boss' and Tony stops in his tracks and says 'Boss?' Gibbs tells him it was his case. Tony just wants to make sure Gibbs isn't going back to Mexico. Gibbs tells him 'Your case, you're lead'. Tony doesn't believe him and Gibbs says he thinks it's even a rule. If it's not, it should be.

In the bullpen, Tim and Ziva are watching a tape of Renny exiting the hotel. They want to know where he was going since he didn't check out until three hours later. Tony says 'Dinner. Or so he says.' Then asks them to fill him and Gibbs in on what they have. They have Renny all over the security tapes but have yet to find Grady. Tony tells them to keep looking then says 'McGee' in his forceful voice. Tim just says 'What?' like 'I'm standing right here, duh!' and Tony tells him to check into Grady's background, credit cards and bank statements. He then says 'Gibbs. Take a look at Renny's appeal. Use it to catch yourself up on the original embezzlement case. Then work with McGee' Tim and Ziva are looking at him like he's lost his mind, or like they can't wait to see Gibbs rip him a new one for stepping over the line. Gibbs surprises them by just saying 'On it, Boss' and taking the USB necklace from Tony. Ziva wants to know if Gibbs is going back to Mexico and he assures her he's not. Tim says 'Rule number 38' as if he's not really sure and Gibbs says 'Mm-hm'. Abby calls Gibbs' phone with her findings and he passes it to Tony. Tony tells her he's on his way and tosses Gibbs his phone back before heading to her lab. Gibbs clears his throat and Tony turns on his heel saying 'Caf-POW! Right.'

In Abby's lab, Tony enters and hands her the Caf-POW, acting like Gibbs. She's totally confused. She keeps calling him 'Gibbs'. He keeps trying to tell her to stop but she won't listen. He finally tells her that he's not Gibbs and she says 'Yes, you are. Because if you're not, there's a problem, and after Sister Rosita spraining her ankle in the sixth frame and Mr. Giggles escaping…' Tony interrupts with 'Mr. Giggles?' and she orders him to keep on topic then tells him to just tell her, that she can take it. He assures her that Gibbs isn't gone, he's just taking second on this case. After being reassured her Pack is still together, she begins telling Tony about her findings. So far everything supports Tony's theory: Grady entered the room, there was a brief struggle and then he was strangled and stabbed to death. She tells him she found Grady's blood on the comforter and that she doesn't want to tell him what else she found. Tony replies 'Yeah, you do' to which she replies 'Oh, you know me so well, but that's gonna have to wait for later, because I am cooking up some awesomeness'. Tony tells her to 'awesome me' and she tells him she found soap in the sink which indicates the sink was used after Grady was killed. She says there's even a fingerprint. It's too degraded by the soap to get an exact match but she should be able to use it to incriminate a suspect. He tells her to let him know when she's gotten that far seeing as how they have a suspect in custody then asks who Mr. Giggles is. She just turns him around and orders him back to work. When he leaves the lab she says 'I hope I don't have to train him all over again'.

In the bullpen, Tim's asking Ziva how she feels about Tony being the boss again. She says he's a competent, capable investigator and a good leader. She asks Tim if he agrees and he says 'No, I agree. It's just… He's kind of irritating when he's not the boss. When he is, he walks around with that peacock strut, that smirk. It's like…' He can see the fear on Ziva's face and gives a nervous chuckle before saying 'He's behind me, isn't he?' and Tony whispers 'Smirking'. Tim tells him he has good timing then asks how long he was waiting for him to put his foot in it. Tony admits to 'two minutes'. Ziva tells him they finally located Grady entering through the service entrance almost two hours before he was killed. The maid said she remembers him and admits she let him into Renny's room. Tony turns to Tim and says 'McGee, stroke my plumage' while making a motion like he's stroking a peacock tail. Tim says he didn't find anything unusual in Grady's bank statements but he did find a sealed document in his record. Tony says that part of Grady's testimony did involve classified information. Tim says he's petitioning the judge to have it unsealed, just in case. He tells them that he's proud of them both, claims they're sitting pretty, pretty as a… and waits for Tim to finish with 'peacock?' At this point, Gibbs comes back and Tony greets him with 'Oh, hey, Boss'. Gibbs just nods his head and Tony corrects himself with 'Uh, Jethro' then asks if he's caught up on the case. Gibbs says he is and he even went through the appeal. Tony is so sure he got the right man three years ago he says 'Let me guess: wasted three years of his life?' and Gibbs replies 'Nope. You did' and tosses him the USB drive. Ouch. Tony doesn't like to hear he put the wrong man in jail but when the evidence points at an innocence person, what're you supposed to do?

Everyone's gathered around a plasma and Gibbs is telling them what he found. Renny's original case hinged on computer logs that showed Renny embezzling from a base credit union. Tony says the name of the credit union 'First National'. Tim picks up the tale and says that Renny used the latest open source forensics software to prove the logs were faked. Turns out Renny wasn't even in the country when the money was stolen. Hell, he wasn't even in the same hemisphere. He was in Iraq. Tony is kicking himself. Tim starts to say that since the computer he supposedly used was still on base, and not in Iraq with him…when Tony interrupts with 'I get it, McGee. The guy didn't do it. He raises bunnies and grew rainbows, and I put him in prison.' Tony then squats down, puts his head in his hands and orders himself to think. His solution: campfire. Tim and Ziva eagerly grab their chairs and roll them over to where Tony's sitting in front of Gibbs' desk. Tony tells Gibbs he needs to huddle up with them and at first it appears he's going to refuse but he doesn't. Tony owns his mistake with Renny. They all agree that now that they know that Grady lied three years ago they have even more motive for Renny to be the killer. Only problem, why'd Grady lie three years ago? Why risk perjury and jail time? Tim suggests that maybe Grady was the real embezzler. Gibbs' phone rings and he hands it off to Tony. It's Ducky with his report on the autopsy of Grady. When Tony tries to hand the phone back, Gibbs tells him to keep it. This throws him for a second but he recovers quickly and tells Ziva to get the transcripts from Renny's trial. He tells Tim to interview everyone who ever worked with Renny. When he turns to Gibbs he just says 'Gibbs' and Gibbs just sits there, leaning forward with his arms on his knees and Tony finishes with 'Good campfire' Not sure what he was originally gonna say but I think Gibbs does because he gets this smirk on his face like whenever he catches Tony showing off his intelligence.

Down in autopsy, Ducky tells him about what he found. Grady has a nasty rash with blisters on his lower body. When Tony declines to look at the sample Ducky took, Ducky says that Gibbs would have looked at it. So he does and then tries to not vomit. Ducky then walks over to the x-ray board and tells Tony about some spots on his lungs. At first Ducky thought they were cancer but when combined with the rash the diagnosis is 'Valley Fever' which Tony supplies. When asked how he knows Tony side-steps the question. Of course Ducky knows exactly how Tony knows about Valley Fever because he's been Tony doctor for decades, being a direct descendant and in the know about Tony being a vampire. Turns out Valley Fever is native to the southwest US. Tony thanks Ducky for his findings and turns to go. Ducky calls him back by telling him that Valley Fever is aptly named. Grady would have had a slight fever at the time of his demise which would alter the TOD. This means that Grady actually died closer to 8:30 pm, instead of the 10:30 pm Ducky had originally said. Problem with this is Renny has a solid alibi for that time.

Tony goes to apologize to Renny when he's released from holding. Renny asks him to clarify what he's apologizing for and Tony says 'Prison. I think we're even on the murder thing. You did drop a body down a trash chute'. Renny wants to know what his punishment for tampering with a crime scene will be and Tony tells him that'll be up to the judge but if he's lucky he'll get off with time served. Renny then asks about his appeal and Tony tells him he'll write a letter then asks if he can prove that Grady set him up. Renny comes back with 'Already proved I didn't do it and now you expect me to find the guy who did? What exactly are you going to do?' then he turns and walks away. Tony calls out and Renny replies with 'Yeah, yeah. Don't leave town. I know the drill'. A phone starts to ring and Tony grabs his only to have it keep ringing because it's not his phone that's ringing, it's Gibbs'. It's Tim and he guesses that Tony answered the wrong phone. Tim called to tell Tony that Renny's supervisor, Sergeant Wilkins, has arrived and is asking to speak with Tony.

When Tony enters the conference room, the Sergeant says 'Told you so. I've been waiting three years to say that' then goes on to inform Tony he pulled a Shawshank by putting the wrong guy in prison. Tony reminds him that they both did it because he was Renny's supervisor. Wilkins says he only discovered the money was missing, he kept telling Tony that Renny didn't have the computer skills necessary. But he does now. Wilkins then asks about Ziva. Turns out Ziva is on Facebook and Wilkins has been to her place. He says something about a double-team. I'm guessing that means double date. He then asks Tony to tell Ziva he'll 'poke her. Ya know, on Facebook'.

In Abby's lab, she's waiting rather impatiently for Tony, with the soap dispenser in one hand with the other on her hip. Tony asks what she's doing and she tells him she's waiting for him. He asks if she's got something and is told she had something four minutes ago. When he asks why she didn't call she reminds him that that's not how it works; when she gets something Gibbs immediately walks through the door, then asks if he's forgotten all his training. He tries to placate her with a Caf-POW. She smiles than says 'Horseshoes and hand grenades, DiNozzo'. She takes the Caf-POW and walks over to her station, when he follows she slaps a 'TRAINEE' sticker on his lapel and begins to tell him about the fingerprint she lifted from the soap dispenser. She again tells him she can incriminate a suspect and he tells her he has a list of about 2,000 suspects and that she needs to check her inbox. She sets the computer to check the partial against the list of suspects and tells him that this time if she finds something he had better already know. At this point, he hands her an ankle brace for Sister Rosita, telling her that it took him about four minutes to stop by the NCIS gym and pick it up, oh, and she's found something, just as the computer beeps telling them it found a match. She looks at the screen then turns and removes his 'TRAINEE' sticker.

In the bullpen, Ziva, Tim and Gibbs are discussing the case. They now know there are two embezzlers but they can't figure out why the one killed Grady. Can't be because he wants all the money for himself because they stole it three years ago. Gibbs suggests maybe it was because he thought Grady was going to see Tony and might possibly rat him out. Tony enters the bullpen just as Gibbs says that all they need now is the killer and he tells them he just might have found one, Commander Carl Davis, with help from Abby. He tells them to gear up and when Gibbs jumps to obey, Tim and Ziva look at him like he's grown a second head. When he asks what they're staring for they say they've never heard him say that much at once, or in a week and he tells them it wasn't his job before.

At the Commander's home, when Tony gets out of the backseat of the car he's a little green around the gills and he tells Gibbs that he thinks maybe he should drive back, for appearances sake of course, then says forget it when he thinks Gibbs isn't in favor of the idea, only to have to think fast when Gibbs tosses the keys over his shoulder. They all approach the door and Tony takes his usual place off to the side then remembers he's the boss. He knocks and calls out 'Federal agents'. The door is opened by an African-American woman who is crying. Tony asks for Commander Davis and she says he's gone for the week and tries to close the door in their faces. Ziva kicks it in and they all enter. She tries to get them to leave again and Ziva tells her they have a warrant. Tony sends Tim around back and he and Gibbs follow Ziva inside. Ziva is trying to calm the woman while Tony and Gibbs search the house. As they approach a closed bedroom door they can hear muffled screams. When they open the door they find an African-American man tied to the bed in his skivvies with a busted nose. And a gag in his mouth.

The woman is trying to tell them that it was consensual but his injuries don't hold up under their questions. When asked about the broken nose, she says he slipped. When asked about lighter fluid, she says 'Look, after what he did it was either that or my garden shears.' Ziva says 'Guess it was his lucky day, then. Not yours' and leads the woman off. Tony make a reference to the Farrah Fawcett movie The Burning Bed which is about an abused woman who sets her husband on fire while he sleeps. Gibbs knows this movie reference because it was his second wife's favorite movie. Tony thinks maybe Commander Davis' wife is going for the sequel. Tim walks in holding pictures of a couple in a compromising position and says 'Hell hath no fury...' which Gibbs finishes with 'Like a woman scorned'. When this is greeted with silence he informs them that it was the third wife's favorite quote. After Shannon he had horrible taste in woman. Best he sticks to his Mate, Tony. Gibbs is taking pictures and Tim automatically goes to tell Gibbs what he found. Tony has to remind him who's in charge. The pictures are post marked from Hawaii and show the Commander with a white woman. There's a note attached 'Paid a private investigator to follow my wife. Just thought you should know what he found.' Tony says 'The other husband. How kind of him. What do they say?' and Gibbs responds 'Misery loves company'. Tony wants to know if he got that from the fourth wife and Gibbs just raises the camera and snaps a picture of Tony and Tim in much the way Tony does with everyone else, except Gibbs.

Gibbs and Tony go to question Davis and he has no idea what they're talking about. He has a very good alibi: the pictures from Hawaii were taken the previous week.

Tony goes back to Abby and finds out that the soap dispenser she found the fingerprint on is not from the hotel. Someone swapped it to try and frame Commander Davis.

When Tony goes to the bullpen with this new information he finds out that there was a third embezzler but the trail ends in a private account in the Caymans.

Gibbs and Ziva have been interrogating Davis for over an hour and haven't been able to get him to talk. When Tony walks off, Tim tells him he's going the wrong way. He throws his hands in the air and says he knows. He makes it look like he's taking a walk to clear his head but he ends up in the garage. Jimmy enters and hands him a cup of coffee. They begin discussing the case. I'm not sure why but I like to think Tony's just using Jimmy as a sounding board, kinda like Gibbs does with Ducky. Jimmy convinces Tony to go ask Renny for help. When Tony arrives at Renny's house he finds it full of smoke. And Renny missing.

Tony is feeling really bad about putting Renny in prison three years ago. Ziva mentions that there were security bars on the windows but it appears Renny removed them and begins to make a comment about how she would too if she had just spent time in prison for a crime she didn't comment but stops when she sees Tony's face. The house looks like a meeting of fight club was held there. Gibbs says the window was jimmied and Ziva holds up a knife that has blood on it and says that might have been the tool used. Tony's starting to get worried because it looks like the third embezzler knows about Renny.

Back at HQ, Tony is having Tim check the BOLO again, despite having checked it just four minutes before. He has Ziva checking the traffic cams and has Gibbs checking with highway patrol. Tony's snapping at everyone and Gibbs orders him to take a campfire with him in private. When they get to the quiet corner of the bullpen, they have the following conversation:
Gibbs: Problems?
Tony: *sarcastically* No. Everything's peachy. Nothing I like more than putting an innocent man in prison. Except, of course for getting him killed.
Gibbs: Hm. Renny's dead? I hadn't heard that.
Tony: Save the pep talk. We both know I screwed up.
Gibbs: Yeah. Three years ago. (Tony crosses his arms over his chest and settles in to hear how much of a disappoint he is to his Mate and Alpha) But now you're making it right. And me proud. You've been doing... a hell of a job, Anthony. (be still my heart! Gibbs called him by his first name!) *faints* (Tony's not sure how to react. Usually when praised by his Alpha, he Shifts and shows his belly or drops to his knees and give him a blowjob. But since they're at work...) Until about three minutes ago. Get your head on right.
Tony: What would you like me to do? (drop to my knees and blow you despite us been at work?)
Gibbs: Trust your gut.
Tony: Yeah. I think I'd rather trust yours right now.
Gibbs: *stepping in close and growling* Then give me my damn phone back!

Abby approaches and says 'I hope I'm not interrupting something - and if I am, I hope somebody tells me about it.' Both Gibbs and Tony smirk at that and Tony asks 'What have you got, Abs?' Gibbs steps back, his smirk turns into a grin, and he says 'Checking the roadblocks, Boss'. Abby is convinced she was interrupting something. Tony keeps her on topic by asking her again 'What do you got?' (This particular writer's grammar sucks rocks) The blood on the knife wasn't Renny's, it was Grady's. When Tony says it's the missing murder weapon, Abby says 'Our messy murder weapon. Which is weird 'cause most killers, they would rinse before they repeat.' When Tony wonders aloud why this ine didn't, Abby tells him to ask the killer himself and shows him a photo of Sergeant Wilkins. He left his DNA on the handle.

When Tony enters the room where the Sergeant is waiting, Wilkins asks of NCIS is handling parking tickets now. Tony asks where Renny is and is told Wilkins has no clue. Tim, Gibbs and Ziva are watching and Tim mentions that he can almost hear the band playing in Tony's head. Ziva says that he does love this part. Gibbs says he's earned it. Tony lays out the service pictures of our three embezzlers. Wilkins reminds him that he told Tony that Renny was framed. Tony says it was a neat trick and he'll have to remember that one for the next time he wants someone to think he's a complete moron. He then moves a chair and I expect him to straddle it, but he doesn't. Tim says 'Betcha five bucks Tony does the chair-tossing technique' and Ziva says 'Mm, ten he switches to strong and silent' and Gibbs says 'Nah, twenty bucks he's gonna do the picture tear'. They turn to look at him, then at Tony and sure enough, Tony's tearing the pictures. Wilkins claims he killed Grady in self-defense. When Tony demands, again, to know where Renny is, Wilkins swears he doesn't know. Tony says he dropped the knife at Renny's and Wilkins claims he doesn't know where Renny lives. He says he left the knife at the Rosewood and he can prove it. Wilkins was in court all day the day before. Everyone knows you can't carry a weapon of any kind into a courthouse. This new development throws everyone for a loop.

My Spidey Senses are tingling that Renny's not really missing and that he found a way to steal the money from the embezzlers and has gone to ground. Renny also set the three up by having them either arrested or put under indictment or, in the case of Davis, telling the wife he was having an affair.

Tony finds Renny at the airport and asks if he knows where the money is. Tony thinks Renny has it but when Renny opens his bag, there's nothing but clothes inside. Tony lets him go and finds Gibbs waiting for him in the car park. He tells Gibbs 'Boat, bourbon, basement, I get it' then walks around to the passenger side of the car but Gibbs stops him and tosses him the keys. Tony hands Gibbs his phone back and says 'There ya go, Boss' and gets in to drive them back to HQ.

to the top

I'm afraid I had to delete the remaining episodes before I could review them because I changed cable/internet providers.

to the top

Season 7

Truth or Consequences | Reunion | The Inside Man | Good Cop, Bad Cop
Code Of Conduct | Outlaws and In-Laws | Endgame | Power Down
Child's Play | Faith | Ignition | Flesh and Blood
Jet Lag | Masquerade | Jack-Knife | Mother's Day
Double Identity | Jurisdiction | Guilty Pleasure | Moonlighting
Obsession | Borderland | Patriot Down | Rule Fifty-One

Truth or Consequences

We start with scenes from the end of last season.

We're in Somalia and Tony is tied to a chair, being interrogated by a man that we all know doesn't scare him. It's obvious that Tony has been in this man's clutches for a while, his lips are cracked and dry and he has cuts and bruises on his face.

The man interrogating him kicks a body on the floor. It appears to be dead.

As the man is spouting his 'bad guy' rhetoric, Tony tells him he'll be dead soon.

The bad guy (Tony calls him 'Macreedy' but he says his name is Saleem Ulman) sits a chair in front of the one Tony's in, then sits down in it and puts one foot on the edge, right between Tony's legs. Again, it's very hard to scare this particular Vampire. Saleem also tells Tony that he has been studying America.

He asks Tony who he is and you can see Tony fighting the truth serum Saleem gave him but he can't fight for long and tells him, "I'm very Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo of the Naval Criminal Investigative Service."

Saleem admits that a few months ago he had never heard of NCIS and that may have caused the lives of several of his people. He then tosses a badge on the floor. I'm pretty sure it's Ziva's because he's the man that was beating on her at the end of last season. He then asks Tony what his mission is.

Again, Tony is fighting the effects of the serum he was given and tells him haltingly that they are tasked with investigating crimes against and by members of the Navy and Marines and their families. We now get scenes of some of the cases they have solved over the summer. The first scenes we get are from May and show this bull of a Petty Officer that is so high, he barely feels the knife in his leg and in fact, just pulls it out as if it was nothing. Tony tells Saleem that his team consists of a gang of four. He says his partner is Tim and says he has 'small muscles, big brain, heart of a lion' and that together they are virtually unstoppable. Pretty big praise from Tony. But then again, Tony did Turn Tim back during the Civil War. He then talks about Gibbs: "Our team leader is the fearless Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs. Former Gunnery Sergeant, Marine sniper. Coffee aficionado and functional mute." Saleem then asks about the fourth member of the team. That would be Ziva. They talk about how Mossad, Ziva's agency, and NCIS are responsible for the deaths of Saleem's men. Tony quips, "Oh, geez. Well, all I can say is, if we killed them then they must have been bad guys." and gets backhanded across the face. When Saleem asks if Tony's team is there to finish the job, Tony asks for a glass of Chardonnay. When Saleem yells again for Tony to tell him why he's there, Tony tells him, "Not only are you wrong, but you're wrong at the top of your voice." Saleem demands to know what he means and Tony says something about Nicholson in a movie called Bad Day at Black Rock not sure if it's a real movie or not, but I'm gonna guess it is.* Saleem demands to know where the rest of Tony's team is and Tony just says he doesn't care about Saleem's team. And says he doesn't care about his team. Saleem finds it strange that Tony is in the desert alone. Tony then begins telling Saleem that he's there to kill him out of vengeance for Ziva.

Now Saleem is talking about how DiNozzo is an Italian name. Saleem got his BS from Yale. Tony says he got his BS on the streets. Tony then tries to anger Saleem by insulting Yale's football team. Saleem says they have eighteen national championships. Tony asks when the last one was, one hundred years ago? And Saleem says it was in 1927. Saleem says that as a people we (Americans?) have a short memory, that's his 'impression of you'. Tony purposely misunderstands and tells him to do his DiNozzo impression again because he missed it and that he needs to gargle with some sand. He then asks how Tony chose Saleem as his target. Tony tells him that just a few months ago he had never heard of the guy and we get a flashback to Tony trying to talk Tim into fixing his home theatre. Tim then starts spouting some techno-babble at Tony which just confuses him. Tim asks what's in it for him and Tony mentions Bad Day at Black Rock and Tim wants to know if it's anything like money. Tony says, "It's computers. It's your thing. If I had a thing, I'd show it off all the time." Gibbs comes in and says, "There are rules against that, DiNozzo." He then tells then to grab their gear because they have a dead Petty Officer. Tony and Tim then have the following conversation:
Tim: Tony, now?
Tony: Feels like now.
Tim: You wanna go?
Tony: No, you go. I gotta gather my thoughts.
Tim *to Gibbs*: Hey, Boss? I think it's time we filled the empty chair.
Gibbs: Oh, you do?
Tony: Yeah, we do. It's, uh, it's the right time. We got to get started on this. Personnel files are starting to stack up on your desk.
Gibbs *turns to his desk, picks the stack of files up and drops them of Ziva's desk*: Okay, you pick. *Tony dashes to the stack* After we get back.
Tony: First things first. Gotta narrow down prospective agents. Gotta be a woman.
Gibbs: Those are just the women.
Tony: Are there photos in here, Boss?
Tim: Boss, really? Tony picks? 'Cause ya know, coming from anyone else that might be considered a lapse in judgment.
Gibbs: Okay, you both pick.
Tim: That makes much more sense.
Tony *giving Gibbs the kicked puppy look*: You don't trust me to be professional?
Gibbs: No casting couch.
This case seems to be related to the one from May. Another drug overdose. Tony now talks about Ducky. None of them has heard from Ziva and despite what Tim and Tony are saying, I don't think any of them are ready to move on.

Tim and Tony are interviewing agents and Tony calls this one particular one 'Pants suit girl'. The next one to walk up is from the DEA and when she shakes Tony's hand she squeezes it. he pretends it hurts. She says she quit smoking by using power putty then demonstrates by squeezing some. Tim likes the fact that shows she has great will-power. Tony reads through her file and asks why she'd want to leave the DEA and she says she was involved in a personal relationship with a co-worker and it became difficult for the other person to control their emotions at work. (She very purposely doesn't mention a pronoun.) Tony says, "Yeah, gotta hate clingy guys." When she doesn't respond he then says, "Clingy girls?" And Tim says, "He didn't ask." Tony replies, "So don't tell." Claire says it was making it difficult for her to do her job. Tony then talks about those movies where the female lead is shown as a Plain Jane but at the end she's revealed to be stunning and Claire says that won't be a problem because she finds that her looks tend to make people not take her seriously. Tony says she has his vote and Tim agrees so they begin her on the job training. He takes her to see Gibbs. She wants to shake Tony's hand and he just waves at her. Tim and Tony are standing in the hall outside interrogation and are talking about how Claire will be a good fit, how unflappable she is just before she comes rushing out of the room in tears.

Back in Saleem's hide-out, Tony says it might be easier to find a new drummer for Spinal Tap. Now I never saw the movie This is Spinal Tap so I have no idea what he's referring to. If anyone knows, please tell me. Tony says that Ziva is irreplaceable and Saleem wants to know why Tony isn't looking for her. Tony says if he could drag her back he would but that's impossible because she's dead,

Saleem begins talking about how he studies the cause and effect of adding or subtracting chemicals from the human body. He says his drug of choice is caffeine. As he drinks from his canteen, Tony tries to get moisture back in his mouth. Saleem tells Tony that the more he resists the drug, the harder it will be. He thinks Tony gives in, but he doesn't really. He asks who controls the flow of information. Tony then begins talking about Vance. The big guy from May, the one that had the knife in his leg and Gibbs took down with no trouble, was so out of it he stabbed himself. Gibbs doesn't like that Vance is keeping info about Ziva from him.

While Tim is interviewing the Petty Officer, Tony's in the observation room with another female trainee and she's a bit too much for Tony.

In MTAC, Gibbs is talking to someone named Chad Dunham who is searching for Ziva, I think.

Tony has another hopeful for Gibbs. He asks what was going on with Chad and Gibbs says he was tracking terrorist training camps. He asks about the woman that was mentioned and Gibbs prevaricates by saying that the Mossad presence in the area has increased. They are either looking for one of their own, or are cleaning up a mission gone wrong. Tony walks away mumbling about how the Arabic word for desert is sahara, so Sahara Desert is actually Desert Desert. Then mutters, "A lot of sand." I'm sure he's remembering his time in Turkey during the Crusade where he was Turned.

Tim and Tony are having dinner and something is bothering Tony. Tim is talking about how the doctor pulled his interview of the Petty Officer because of his weakened heart. Then says that Gibbs signed off on the new girl, Rebecca Hastings. Calls her a pistol, or firecracker, or spitfire. Tony just gets up and walks away. Tim lays money on the table and follows. Tim tells him that he's been thinking of buying some red leather pants, something that really cradles his butt. Tony says it's not normal and Tim tries to say he was just kidding. Tony tells him he's talking about how Ziva hasn't contacted any of them. Tony then says he's going to do some digging.

Back at Saleem's hide-out, he's walking around the body on the floor and we learn that not only is it not dead, it's Tim.

Saleem finally figures out why Tony's there. He says that he doesn't know Ziva and is not responsible for her death. Saleem says that wars are measured in body counts. That one can change the world with rivers of blood and there's no reason to kill just one person. Tony happens to disagree. Of course being a Vampire, he knows there is sometimes a very good reason to kill just one person, mainly because of who they were and the threat they posed to his Clan. Saleem asks how Tony found him. Tony says he's skilled. Saleem presses deeper and Tony admits he didn't find him by himself, he had help. From Abby.

When we go to the scene with Abby she's saying, "I can't believe you were going to leave me out." *snicker* Tony's description of Abby: "Abby Sciuto. NCIS resident forensic scientist, heart and soul, a paradox wrapped in an oxymoron, smothered in contradictions in terms, sleeps in a coffin. Really the happiest Goth you'll ever meet." I love it!

The three of them begin pacing the lab while comparing notes. They finally agree that they have two options: hack into Mossad or hack into Vance. Just as they mention those options, the new girl enters and decides that that's more than she's willing to do and she leaves. Considering she's supposedly a daredevil, it's a tad surprising.

Tony's on the phone, taking a message for Gibbs about a ship called Damocles. He's startled by a woman calling his name. He drops the phone. It goes something like this:
Tony: Yeah, Gibbs is, uh, in interrogation. I'll take it. (the person on the phone can be heard to say, "…ship named Damocles") Damocles. Yeah, I know. Like 'The sword of…' Out of Aqaba. Where is that, Jordan?
Pretty girl: Tony.
Tony *fumbling the handset of the phone into his desk drawer*: Nothing.
Pretty girl *chuckles*: I'm sorry. I don't mean to startle you. Are you Special Agent DiNozzo?
Tony: No, I am. Who are you?
Pretty girl: Um, I'm Officer Heather Kincaid. I'm here about the job interview. *Tony stares at her blankly* That you apparently forgot about.
Tony: No. I didn't. I didn't forget. I mean, you know… *takes handset out of drawer and mumbles into it as he's hanging it up* Call ya back. Uh, Heather Kincaid. Let's see… Seattle PD, just like your father and your uncle.
Heather: And two brothers.
Tony: Four year varsity starter. U-Dub volleyball.
Heather: Go Huskies! Yeah.
Tony: Yeah. Listen, can you walk while you talk? *gets up and begins walking away*
Heather: I've actually never attempted something so complex before but I'm a quick learner.
Tony: Sarcasm.
Heather: Mmhm.
Tony: I like sarcasm.
Heather: Who doesn't?
Tony: Not that much.

The Petty Officer is still maintaining that he didn't take the drugs willingly. Tony and Heather enter the observation room and she says she just wants a shot at filling the gap in the team. Tony turns her attention to the Petty Officer and says that he's the pusher. He then says Gibbs' lines with him: "After the first overdose (of) his (your) own rotten stash, this guy (you) dosed himself (yourself) to draw suspicion away from the fact that he's (you're) the pusher!" The Petty Officer finally admits they just wanted to get high. Tony then says they're not hiring at this time. Him and Gibbs meet in the hall and Gibbs gives his Mate a knowing look. I'm thinking Tony turned Heather down because he's attracted to her and that just wouldn't be a good thing.

Tim and Abby have figured out where Ziva was last seen and they hear the name Saleem Ulman for the first time. We learn that the ship Damocles was lost at sea several months ago and there were no survivors.

Tony tells Saleem that life lost all meaning after that. He has Tim saying, "Blah, blah, blah. Computer stuff, blah." Ducky saying, "Autopsy report." Abby: "Words. There's so many words. And things and stuff and emotions. Thanks for listening." Gibbs: *different case scenarios* "Grab your gear." He then snaps and says, "No." I expect Gibbs to GibbsSmack him but all he does is say, "No?" And asks Tony to make his case. Tony, Tim and Abby tell Gibbs and Vance how they think they can catch Saleem. Saleem's main weakness: caffeine. Specifically a Caf-Pow. As Saleem storms out of the room, Tony asks Tim if he's okay. Tim asks when they're gonna make their move and Tony tells him to wait. Saleem brings in a woman with a bag over her head. He gives them an ultimatum and pulls the bag off to reveal Ziva. Tony asks, "So, how was your summer?"

Ziva looks worse than Tony does. Of course she would, she's been a captive of Saleem's for months. Ziva tells Tony he should not have come for her. Tony jokes that he'll just leave but he's tied to a chair. Ziva then asks if Tim is okay and he says he's just glad she's alive. Ziva wants to know why Tony came for her if he thought she was dead and he says he couldn't live without her. I like to think he means that work just isn't the same. Tony tells Ziva she should stop punishing herself for whatever it is she's punishing herself for. He warns her he's taken a truth serum so if she has questions she really wants the answer to, to go ahead and ask. She tells Tony to tell Saleem what he wants to know so they can save themselves. She can't believe that Tony has an escape plan. Tries to tell him it's impossible.

Back in September Tony had pictures of what he thinks is Saleem's hide-out but no one will send in a SEAL team. If I'm reading between the lines correctly, Vance is giving his 'so long as I don't know' permission for Tony and Tim to go gather some intel on Saleem. So Tony and Tim head to the Sahara and 'get captured'. Tony tells Tim to 'say that thing' and then 'say that other thing'. Tim says something in Arabic but they still get beat up.

Ziva is shocked they allowed themselves to get captured and she mentions these men are killers.
Tony: I know. That's why we have to stay alive long enough to not get dead.
Ziva: That would involve being rescued.
Tiny: Yes, it would.
Ziva: How long will it take?
Tony: I don't know. How long do you think I've been talking?
Ziva: What's the plan?
Tony: Well, we fail to contact Dubai and word gets to the carrier group in the Med and they scramble F-22 Raptors that burn sand into glass. *winks at her* How long that's gonna take, I don't know. Hours or... days. Ziva? Can you fight?
Before she can answer Saleem enters the room.

There's a commotion outside and Saleem says they're moving but not taking the prisoners with them. Ziva tries to buy Tony and Tim's lives by telling Saleem what Tony just told her but it doesn't work. Saleem says, "I don't make bargains." And Tony asks, "Do you make pizza?" This must be a code word because at that moment, Tim trips Saleem and they struggle very briefly. Before Tim can grab Saleem's knife, Saleem pulls a gun. Tony hollers for him to stop.
Tony: There's something I haven't told you yet.
Saleem: And what is that?
Tony: I told you about the brains (Abby and Tim), I told you about the guts (Tim), I told you about the muscle (Tim again), the scientist (Abby again), the politician (Vance), the leader (Gibbs). I told about every member of the team except myself. The part I play.
Saleem: Which is?
Tony: I'm the wildcard. I the guy who looks at the reality in front of him and refuses to accept it. Like right now. I should be terrified, right? But I'm not. 'Cause I just can't stop thinking about the movie True Lies, you know where Arnie's strapped to the chair, shot full of truth serum. Then he picks his cuffs and kills everybody. You have thirty seconds to live Saleem. *Ziva can't believe what she's hearing*
Saleem: You're still bound. You're lying.
Tony: I can't lie. And I didn't say I was gonna be the one to kill ya. Remember when I told you my boss was a sniper? *Saleem realizes why Tony's been babbling all this time*
Gibbs kills Saleem with a shot to the head and whispers, "Go."

SEALs move in and Tony, Tim and Ziva make their escape.

Gibbs takes his team home and everyone looks a lot worse for wear. When they get to the bullpen, it's business as usual for most everyone, until Vance starts clapping. Abby approaches Ziva, touches her face then hugs her, tight. I can only hope Ziva realizes they are her family. I may not like her character but she is a perfect fit for the team. She helps keep Tony grounded.

*It is a real movie and it starred Spencer Tracy. And now I know why Tony called Saleem 'Macreedy' in the beginning. Macreedy was Spencer Tracy's character in that movie.

to the top

Reunion

We open with a pretty girl peeking around the edge of a half-open door. She can see some kind of film playing on the TV and pulls a gun before walking in and asking "Who's been a bad boy?" before noticing the dead bodies.

When Tony arrives at the office, he greets Agent Filmore who is sitting at Ziva's desk. He makes a comment about the fact that she's wearing Marine green and just gets an icy stare. Tony and Tim then talk about how they miss Ziva. Agent Filmore prints out some paper and slams them onto Tim's desk telling them she's quitting.

At Gibbs' house, Gibbs is measuring his basement for some reason when Ziva comes down the stairs and begins babbling. She then hands him something wrapped in leather. He opens it and finds a very nice chisel. She thanks him for rescuing her and says she wants to be a part of his team again. He tells her she has to talk to Vance.

At the crime scene, Tim's taking pictures and Tony's fingerprinting. Only one of the three men has been identified. In the other room is the stripper and her manager. When Tim and Gibbs enter the room, the manager gets all sleazy on them. He hands Tim his business card, which Tim takes with a pair of tweezers. Gibbs asks the stripper to tell him what happened and she says that the dead man had hair when she met him. We find out that whoever killed the men, then shaved their heads.

Back at NCIS the team is going over the dossiers of the men, Staff Sergeant Jeff Ross, Eric Jurel and Alan Sandich. All three men are high school friends. Gibbs sends them off to do some investigating and they have an argument about which of them is the sidekick. Tony says it has to be Tim because sidekicks are always shorter and…Tim mentions they're the same height. Tony then tells Tim to not make him say it and Tim jumps to Tony thinking he's too good looking to be the sidekick. Tony says it's not just him, but people, specifically female people and at that moment the elevator opens and Ziva says she thinks Tim's better looking. Tony asks why she's there and Vance walks by and tells her to follow him.

In Vance's office, he asks her what her father thinks of her leaving Mossad. She doesn't think her father has anything to do with her decision and Vance sends her for a psych eval.

Tim and Tony arrive at an auction class where the teacher is telling the class that the pace of the banter is to keep the customers from thinking. He says that no one will miss Eric Jurel but Tony spies a woman crying. Turns out she had a crush on the man.

In autopsy Jimmy is telling Ducky that he's never been to a stag party and Ducky says he can tell him stories that'll curl his toes. When Jimmy urges him to tell all, Gibbs walks in and says no. Ducky has figured out that the killer wanted the men awake when they died. Ross' military record says he was injured at work but he was actually shot.

In the bullpen, Tim is playing with the plasma when Gibbs walks up behind him. Tony had been off questioning Alan Sandich's fiancé. Tony comes in and says she's already re-engaged and asks Gibbs if that reminds him of anyone. Gibbs asks how long he's 'gonna make those jokes' and Tony says he's never gonna make that joke again. Tony shows a video of Sandich's real stag party where he had a stripper. Tony is having difficulty not making a fool of himself over what the dancer is doing on the screen.

Tony says he's heard of a cover story for a stag party but never one being the cover story. Ziva enters and overhears them talking and offers a suggestion. Tim finds a way to leave Tony and Ziva alone, forcing them to talk. Tony's phone rings and it's Abby. She's not happy that Ziva hasn't been to see her.

Abby isn't happy that Ziva thought that Tony killed Rifkin because he was jealous and that she told Gibbs she didn't trust Tony. She then tells Ziva that it's her move and it had better be a good one. Then they hug.

Gibbs has Ross' CO on the screen in MTAC and they man's falling all over himself to get details about Ziva's rescue. Turns out that Ross wasn't the nice guy everyone wanted to believe. Vance comes in and tells Gibbs to sign off on Ziva's rehire packet.

Gibbs comes into the bullpen and tells Tony to find out where Ross disappeared to in South Korea. Tim has found who was following Eric. Tim takes the long way to say 'burn phone' and Tony yells at him for it.

The team enters the house and finds a cop already there. They introduce themselves and the cop asks if Tony is the Tony DiNozzo and doesn't elaborate, only says he's glad to have him at his back. Turns out the house they're at belongs to the cop, Officer Shelley.

Tony uses one of those movie trailer voices and Gibbs GibbsSmacks him, making him use his real voice again. Tim finds what appears to be a suicide note on Shelley's computer. Gibbs sends Tony to call his old friends at BPD if they know where Shelley might be and if they can give him any insight into the man.

Tim sees Ziva sitting on a bench in a park and goes over to talk to her. She's trying to put on a brave face but he sees right through her.

Turns out Shelley and the dead guys went to high school together. They used to bully him. Tony walks in and says they're still torturing him and Tony says he'll explain after he goes to the head but Gibbs won't let him.

In the men's room, Tony's singing that song they found while searching for Ziva and Ziva enters so they can talk. She's still angry he killed Rifkin but does apologize for questioning why he killed him. She kisses his cheek and tells him his instincts were right. Says something about him being a cop and that sparks a thought. Turns out the cell came from a bust Shelley made and they find out he has another one. Just when they track it and find out it's making a call, Gibbs' phone rings. Shelley says he didn't kill Jeff, Alan and Eric. Shelley asks to meet Tony at a payphone and for him to come alone. Shelley comes weaving up the street and Tony just barely pulls a drunk to safety before Shelley's Jeep crashes into it. He's been shot.

Turns out Shelley was investigating a smuggling ring and that Ross is involved. Tim begins to sneeze and they all make the connection to the sleazy stripper manager. Gibbs goes to question the suspect and he says he only killed Shelley and that he has nothing to do with the other three. Gibbs begins reading him his rights and the man spills. Turns out that Ross and his friends stole a military plane. He says he didn't kill the other men but the type of gun leads the team back to the auction school. Turns out Elena is the one who shot Shelley and killed Ross, Jurel and Sandich.

Gibbs goes home to find Ziva in his basement. I think the man needs to start locking his door. Ziva is still upset that Gibbs chose Tony over her when she gave him her ultimatum in Israel. Gibbs is angry too because she lied to him about Ari and why she shot him. She tells him that he's like a father to her.

Back at the office, Vance is on his cell with his wife, heading to the airport for a vacation. Just as she says "I love you" he stops at the elevator just as Tim and Tony step off. It's an awkward moment but the boys get over it. Ziva is back and when Tony removes his jacket I can't tell if he's wearing the shoulder holster again or if he's wearing suspenders.

to the top

The Inside Man

We open with a man tweeting from his car and then getting out and leaning over the wall on the bridge he's parked on. He can see two construction workers bickering about coffee and then he jumps.

In the office Tony is placing a pen on his hand and then grabbing it out of the air…and when he gets up I can see that he is wearing the shoulder holster again.

Tim is on the phone and has been told he has to take his polygraph again. When Gibbs comes in Tony asks if he ever failed a polygraph and Gibbs says he's never taken one. Just as Gibbs, Tim and Tony are heading off to the scene, Ducky comes in to speak with Gibbs. Gibbs brushes him off and Ziva asks what she can do while being left at the office and Gibbs ignores her, too. Ducky tries to get her to talk but she won't.

The dead blogger's car is being examined by Metro and Tony tells the rookie that she really shouldn't be wearing a scarf at the scene. When Gibbs introduces himself to the lead detective, Danny Sportelli, it becomes almost a pissing contest between Gibbs and Sportelli because the dead man was blogging about how NCIS was involved in a cover-up and so all NCIS agents are suspects.

At the office the team is watching one of the blogger's video-blogs where he accuses them of covering up a murder. Tony takes it personally. Tony scrolls through Burns' old posts and starts investigating all the people he blogged about.

Down in autopsy, Ducky is having difficulty getting a new toy to work when Gibbs comes in. Seems Ducky has a portable x-ray machine. Both men are worried about Ziva but Gibbs refuses to talk about her at this time.

Tony is talking to a judge that Burns accused of plagiarism which forced him to withdrawal his Supreme Court nomination. While talking, the two Metro detectives come walking up and he runs off.

Gibbs calls Arnett's CO back in to question him again. The CO brings a pretty Lieutenant with him and keeps asking her questions about Arnett.

Down in the garage, Abby's going over Arnett's car again and Tim is worried about having to retake his polygraph.

Ziva has discovered that Arnett and the pretty Lieutenant from earlier were more than co-workers. Tony says it's never a good idea to get involved with a co-worker and gives Ziva a look. Ziva went through several of Burns' video-blogs and discovered the man lied about where he was on a certain day. Gibbs asks Tim about Arnett's finances. Tim says he can only find the ones for his family trust and his Naval salary.

Gibbs goes to question Lieutenant Summers and asks her who broke off the relationship. She says she did because Rod was cheating. In the observation room, Tony, Tim and Ziva are betting on what tactic Gibbs will use. He guesses that she's Burns' source. Summers tells Gibbs that she was angry with Arnett so she began telling Burns what she knew. Gibbs asks if Arnett was trading on insider information and she says "I think so" and he slaps the table, yelling, "You think?" which startles her and she says that the day after a press conference, Arnett came to her house to celebrate a good day in the market. Her confession means that the team botched the investigation of Arnett's death.

Down in autopsy, Ducky went over Arnett's report again. Ducky gets a call from the city ME and Ducky makes a comment about how the man will talk his ear off and Gibbs gives him a fond smile. Tom was calling to tell Ducky that Metro has ruled Arnett's death a homicide. Gibbs wants Ducky to exhume Arnett's body to test for toxins.

Gibbs and Tony go to talk to the SEC investigator named Benjamin Franklin. The man is of Asian descent. When Tony looks at him in confusion the man says, "I know I don't look like an SEC investigator." Tony then asks if that's really his name and is told yes and that he's heard all the jokes "So please spare me". The three then go on to discuss the charges against Arnett. Ben even wears glasses like Ben Franklin's. Gibbs gets a call from Abby. And tells Tony to get the information on the person the SEC is watching now that Arnett's dead.

Down in Abby's lab, Sportelli is trying to bully Abby into handing over her evidence. He even calls her 'honey' which we all know she hates. Gibbs is not happy that they're being kept out of Metro's investigation but has to hand over everything to Metro.

Tony is questioning Sutton, a deli worker who made $2 million on the stock that is suspect.

Tony leaves with a pastrami sandwich which he is enjoying while listening to Tim talk about the two men. Tim wants a bite but Tony won't give him one. Sutton takes the train to work each day. They live 60 miles apart and Tim says there's no way they could have met. I think they met on the train.

Ducky is explaining different customs when it comes to burial and exhumation. When he opens the coffin, they find the body missing.

The team is standing around the empty coffin wondering who would steal a body. Gibbs sends Tim and Tony off to talk to the funeral home that picked up the body. Tim tells Gibbs he's supposed to retake his polygraph and Gibbs says he'll take care of it. The polygraph agent approaches Ziva to ask where Tim is. Ziva says she'll give Tim the message.

According to the funeral director there's no way the body could have been stolen. Tony's wandering around looking at the coffins and has Tim come over to one to try and get him to get in one. Tim refuses. The director comes back and tells the boys that the alarm system went off the day of Arnett's funeral.

Abby and Ducky are talking about coffins and she says that she's sleeping in hers. Ducky asks about the weight plates that were in the coffin and she tells him that there are no prints; in fact they had been cleaned with acetate.

Tim, Ziva, Tony and Gibbs are still viewing Burns' video-blogs and they think he stole Arnett's body. Tim suggests they break into police impound to get a look at Arnett's car.

Tim and Tony head to the impound lot to get a look at Burns' car. Tim takes care of the camera but is worried about dogs. Tony says there are no dogs. You'd think a big bad Shifter like Tim wouldn't be afraid of a couple of guard dogs. Tim gets into the car, almost standing on his head to get to the nav system. Just as he gets it hooked up, Tony has a recording of a dog on his phone. As soon as Tim finishes, real dogs come running through the lot. They 'tree' Tim on top of a line of cars while Tony manages to get away. Just as they get over the fence, two officers appear and arrest them. Luckily Tim had the foresight to send it to Abby.

Abby has Tim and Tony's mug shots. She's trying to get Gibbs to go get them out of jail. They found evidence that Burns was parked outside the funeral home long enough to have stolen the body. Tim and Tony come in and Tony looks like he was rode hard and put away wet.

Ziva is alone in the bullpen and she starts to write a letter to her father when Abby appears to tell her that Tony called and said they found Arnett's body. She tries to get Ziva to go out with her but Ziva says she has something she has to do. Abby understands and so leaves her to it.

In the polygraph room, Agent Grady is getting Tim ready. She tells him she came in early just for his retake and that got her in trouble with the friends she's made on her commuter train. When she gets up to adjust the monitors, Tim's heart begins to race, setting off the alarm. Who thinks she's using her job to find out if he likes her? She begins the test with the sample questions of name, birth place, have you been arrested. She then asks if he lives alone and if he's in a committed relationship. Her comment about taking the same train every morning sparks a thought and he runs off to share with the rest of the class. Turns out Arnett and Sutton rode the same train to work every day. Strangers on a Train anyone? Tim and Tony go to Sutton's shop and ask to see his rail pass. Tim locks the door while Tony explains their theory.

Gibbs turns Sutton over to Sportelli in exchange for the charges against Tim and Tony being dropped. Tim says he should go back to see Grady and take his test again and Gibbs tells him that she was using the test as an excuse. Ziva approaches Gibbs desk and asks to become an NCIS agent. Gibbs signs it after questioning her about how her father feels about her resigning from Mossad and becoming an American citizen.

to the top

Good Cop, Bad Cop

We start with scenes from the previous episodes then go to a shrimp boat and its two man crew arguing about not getting enough shrimp to make a living. They pull up a net and find a skeleton with a set of dog tags.

At NCIS HQ, Tony is making the 'tick, tock' noise, trying to annoy Tim, and succeeding. Tim is almost late turning in a report. Ziva comes up behind Tony and scares him, then offers to help Tim finish his report. Tony stands in the background and pretends to have a heart attack, saying things like 'Someone dial 9-1 and wait for me to tell ya to dial the other 1.' And 'No, you have to dial 9 to get out of the building, so dial 9-9-1 and wait for it.' Tim agrees to help Ziva get the results of her app if she helps him with his report and does Tony's paperwork because they had a bet about a virus on Tim's computer. Tim's convinced that Tony cheated in removing it.

Up in MTAC, Vance isn't chewing on a toothpick because he got a splinter earlier in the day. Gibbs and Vance have a video conference with an NCIS agent in the Middle East about the body the shrimpers found. Vance wants to interrogate Ziva about it using 'good cop, bad cop'. Him and Gibbs exit MTAC and Gibbs asks who's the good cop and who's the bad.

In the bull pen, Tim has discovered that Ziva's application to become an NCIS agent has been rejected.

Vance takes Ziva to a conference room to talk and Gibbs watches it on the CCTV in Vance's office. Ziva wants to talk about what she went through when she was kidnapped.

Tim's still trying to figure out how Tony got rid of the virus. They have the following conversation:
Tim: Running a diagnostic on the virus you removed from my computer.
Tony *hangs up phone*: It's gone, Probie. Get over it.
Tim: I can't even figure out how the virus got in the system. It wasn't an attachment. Wasn't a Trojan horse. Did you quarantine the file?
Tony *gets up and walks over to Tim's desk*: Hey. I'm a hacker. I hack. *removes Tim's wireless keyboard while Tim's still typing on it* We got bigger issues. Ziva's in with Principle Vance getting paddled or up the creek without one. We got a dead Marine, right? *tosses him the plasma remote* What do we got?
Tim: All right, I'll tell ya what we got. *gets up and pulls up Staff Sergeant Daniel Cryer's dossier* We got Marine Staff Sergeant Daniel Cryer. Recruited right out of high school.
Tony: Talk faster. Eliminate the dead air between your words. My mind absorbs things very quickly.
Tim *taking this as a challenge to see just how fast he can talk, begins*: Received training at Camp Pendleton, then shipped out on multiple tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. Specialized in counterintelligence. Immaculate record, until six months ago. Unauthorized absence – failed to report back to his fire base outside Kandahar. Stopped communicating with family and friends. *despite there being punctuation, Tim said most of this in one breath*
Tony: Take a breath, have a keyboard. *hands Tim his keyboard back* Well done. What about the Damocles?
Tim then tells Tony about the ship that Ziva was on before she was kidnapped, at a more normal speed. Tony then begins talking in movie metaphors.

Tim leaves to go see Abby. She's watching what appears to be a hurricane in thermal imagining and Tim says it looks pretty. Abby doesn't like it and when he agrees with her, she gets all narrow eyed at him. She really doesn't like when he agrees with her. According to her evidence the storm she's looking at was never near the Damocles

Down in autopsy, Ducky has begun cutting open the sea creatures that have eaten the dead Marine's body. Tim calls Tony and tells him what Abby found. Tony had picked up Cryer's skull and as he was walking out, Ducky calls him back.

Vance is still questioning Ziva. He brings up a mission her father sent her on. She says she was not in the employee of Mossad and he says that's the problem.

Tim goes to tell Gibbs about Abby's findings. It would appear the entire crew of the Damocles was executed.

Because of this, Ziva is placed in an interrogation room. Ducky finds Gibbs in the observation room. Ziva tries to tell Vance the ship isn't his jurisdiction. He says she is and so is the dead Marine. He sits down and demands she tell him about the mission. We then get a flashback about what happened. Ziva was taken aboard along with Cryer.

Ziva doesn't feel right about this mission. She thinks it's unnatural for her to go back to her old ways.

Cryer is caught snooping around the cargo hold. Ziva arrives in time to save him from being killed by saying 'he works for me and I told him to find us a private spot'.

Vance asks if she knew he was a Marine. She says he wasn't like the other men on the ship. When asked if she trusted him, she says not really.

Tony and Tim are looking at the picture on Cryer's dog tag when Gibbs' phone begins to ring. Tony makes Tim answer it. NCIS has a visitor. Tim goes to escort him up and Tony goes to get Gibbs.

The visitor is Officer Malachi Ben-Gidon. He's come for Ziva saying she's a member of his team. Gibbs tells him he missed his chance of rescuing her.

He claims that NCIS is keeping her hostage. Gibbs decided to discover just how much rope Malachi has. Vance hopes he has enough to hang himself.

Tony enters the conference room where Malachi is, shakes his hand and thumps his shoulder, making him wince and makes a crack about not having any gefilte fish and Malachi asks if he's making a racist comment. Gibbs calls and tells Tony to take him to Ziva. In the interrogation room, Malachi is confronted with only Vance. They have a pissing contest over who gets to interrogate her. Malachi offers to tell his side of things for Ziva's freedom.

Ziva has worked too long for NCIS because when Malachi tells her 'any means necessary' she looks like she's about to get sick.

In Abby's lab, Tim and Abby are looking over a lot of wet radios and weapons. Abby says she never has a plan when it comes to that much evidence.

Down in autopsy, Tony is escorting Ziva and Ducky says he needs to talk to her and asks Tony to step away. Tony says he has to stick with her so Ducky tricks them into having her enter the morgue without Tony which allows Ducky to close the doors in his face.

Ducky gets Ziva to talk by telling her the deaths of the crew were not her fault. She tells him to keep his distance because the ones who get too close always end up dead.

Vance and Gibbs are talking about Ziva and Vance isn't willing to give her a chance. They decide to go talk to Malachi and Vance asks if Gibbs wants to play bad cop now and Gibbs asks, "You've been playing good cop all this time, Leon?" They then put Ziva and Malachi in a room together. Malachi tells her to not say anything because he's handling it and she tells him she has nothing to say to him.

Tony asks Tim if they have anything and Tim tells him they can confirm what Malachi told them. Ducky comes up the elevator and tells them he has COD on most of the bodies. We also find out that of the bullets they have three that are .45 caliber and are smushed and have no tissue on them making them misses. When Gibbs enters the room he pushes on Malachi's shoulder and we find out that he has a broken clavicle. Gibbs then fibs a bit and tells him they have the bullet that killed Cryer and that he knows his clavicle was broken by a bullet and Ziva finally sees that her father is trying to burn her. Gibbs releases Malachi and tells him to tell Ziva's father that she's off-limits now.

In the observation room, Vance has them turn off the recording equipment and puts a toothpick in his mouth. Gibbs sits down and demands Ziva finish her tale. I think Gibbs now sees Ziva as another daughter.

We learn that she walked away and turned herself over to Saleem, trying to kill him to please her father. She tells Gibbs she is, indeed, sorry and he walks up to her, leans close and whispers something in her ear.

Vance is trying to convince Eli that Gibbs is in the wrong and that Vance is still Eli's friend. He then gives Gibbs Ziva's accepted application.

Tim figures out that Tony did, indeed, cheat by having a third person come in and remove the virus from Tim's computer. Neither of them wants to do their work. And Ziva just looks on like the doting sister of two teenage boys.

to the top

Code Of Conduct

It's Halloween and we get night vision tinged footage of three teenage boys pulling pranks on their neighbors. To disguise their identities, they're wearing monkey masks, not the 60s band The Monkees, actual monkeys. They hear music coming from a car and head over to see if the driver is stoned, and to scare him a little, only to be scared themselves when they discover a hose taped to the tailpipe leading to a window and the dead body of their neighbor.

At NCIS HQ, Tony's getting off the elevator talking to someone on his cell about wanting to see lots of money when he wins. He's placing bets on how many disturbance calls there will be the night before Halloween and Halloween night.

Tim and Tony then begin talking about the pranks they pulled as kids.

Gibbs comes in and tells the team to gather their gear because they have a dead Marine. Gibbs tosses Ziva the keys and says "Agent David…" When Ducky arrives at the scene he does the same and says the Marine didn't kill himself because his skin's not cherry red.

Tony's talking to the boys who found the body and has the following conversation:
Boy #1 (haven't been given their names, yet): Korby lived for Mischief Night. He was the king of practical jokes.
Tony: I guess that makes you the Princes of Pranks.
Boy #2: Are we in trouble?
Ziva: Not unless you killed him.
Tony*clears throat*: I'll handle the questions, here, Probie. Thank you. *Ziva sighs and rolls her eyes* We were talking about Korby.
Boy #1: Guy was awesome. Came up with new practical jokes every Halloween. Nothing dangerous, I mean no razor blades. He'd freeze all kinds of stuff, blow stuff up. It was funny.
Older man in a red Mr. Rogers sweater: And illegal.
Ziva: And you are?
Man in sweater: Ted Rogers. I live across the street. First he drove us crazy with his pranks, now he dies in the driveway. (This guy reminds me of the customers I have to deal with at work who think that because they didn't receive a bill for their cable, they don't have to pay it)
Tony: Well it sounds like you got a problem in your neighborhood, Mr. Rogers. That's a nice sweater, by the way.
Ziva: Boys, we are going to need that video tape.
Mr. Rogers: Yes, you can use it to document what these punks did last night.
Tony: We're only interested in what happened to Lance Corporal Korby, thank you. (You can tell Tony's irritated with the man)

Gibbs asks Ducky if he has a TOD and is told that Korby's freezing cold.

In the garage, Ziva and Tony are looking around and Tony's in heaven. He says there are signs of a struggle and Ziva can't see it, then he points out the broken computer monitor.

Outside, Jimmy and Ducky are taking Korby out of the car and Jimmy makes a poorly timed joke about Korby driving. When they go to lay Korby on the gurney, the sound of ice cracking can be heard. At first Ducky and everyone else thinks it might be Korby's bones but then Ducky reaches into Korby's mouth with tweezers and pulls out a piece of flash frozen flesh. (Try saying that three times fast) Tim thinks it's glass. It would appear that Korby was killed by having his lungs frozen.

Back at NCIS, Tony's going over the list of disturbance calls in Baltimore. Tim calls his attention to the case and goes over Korby's dossier. Turns out that Korby has a big blemish on his record that earned him a demotion in rank. Tony thinks the wife did it because she's much cuter than Korby and because she was in a hotel three days after her husband returned from a deployment. The step-daughter and wife arrive and begin telling their alibis. Tony asks the usual questions. Sara says she didn't want to go on her annual Halloween spa trip because he'd just gotten back but he insisted.

In autopsy, Ducky is talking about how gruesome it was to die on Halloween and Jimmy says 'it was a cool way to go' and Ducky doesn't take too kindly to it. Jimmy says it reminds him of some of the things he'd done in his youth that he's not proud of. Ducky tells him to not talk about it then and Gibbs arrives to say 'What can we talk about, then?' and Ducky tells him how Korby most likely died, using a pumpkin as an example.

Tim and Ziva are watching the video and Tim's admiring the way the boys are TP'ing a house. Ziva doesn't get it and Tim tells her to ask Tony about it. She turns and finds Tony on the phone and demands to know who he's calling. (Um, sweetheart? You're not his boss so can it!) Tony tells her he's having the wife's file sent over and she asks if he's gut has ever given him a stomach ache and I really hate the way she says it: 'Does your gut ever give you a stomach ache?' Again, who made her Tony's boss? She's now a probationary special agent with NCIS which means she does not get to order Tony around since he's Senior Special Agent. He tells her to 'keep snickering while I'm over here breaking the case' and Gibbs comes in carrying three cups of coffee, says, 'Everyone's breaking the case' and passes the coffee around. Tony asks, 'You brought us coffee?' and Gibbs just says, 'Nope'. They all sniff it and Tim says it's apple cider to which Gibbs replies, 'Happy Halloween!' Tim and Ziva salute with their cups and take a sip. Gibbs sits in his chair, leans back for a second then gets up and says, 'Break's over.' He walks over to the plasma where Tim and Ziva were watching the video and asks Tim to run it. Tim tells him that several of the neighbors had filed complaints against Korby and Tony says that only one neighbor had filed multiple complaints; Mr. Rogers. While talking he begins to get a pained look on his face and says, 'Wow, this has got some back bite. A little peppery, a hint of clove and really…' Gibbs takes his cup and Ziva's and sends them to speak with Mr. Rogers.

At Rogers' house, he hollers that there's no candy and they tell him they don't want candy. He opens the door and Tony tells him he has a very convincing nerd outfit. Rogers says it's how he dresses for work; he's a commodities trader. Tony tells him he needs to turn his porch light out if he doesn't want to give candy to the kids. Ziva asks about the complaints he filed and Tony mentions the TRO a college girlfriend filed against him and Rogers asks if they're accusing him of murder and Tony says, 'No, we're just asking very nicely if you did it. So, Mr. Rogers, did you kill your neighbor?' to which Rogers replies, 'No.' Ziva asks for his alibi and Tony says he doesn't trust anyone who doesn't give candy to kids and two little girls approach saying, 'Trick-or-Treat!' and Rogers goes and gets two energy drinks.

At Abby's lab, Gibbs accidentally sets off Korby's decorations. He asks why Abby's not in costume and she says after the previous year's Jones Bros debacle Vance banned costumes. Something about Tim and skinny jeans. Abby has managed to find that a car from the Marine motor pool was at the scene and that Korby has been poisoned for some time before he was actually killed.

Tony thinks he's figured out the wife's motive; she's been married three times to three Marines with healthy life insurance policies. Ziva questions he about it. He says, 'I got…' and Gibbs comes in and asks, 'Evidence?' and Tony replies, 'None to speak of, Boss' and Gibbs says, 'Then stop speaking.' He asks Tim about the car and he says it's still missing. Gibbs asks Tony about Korby's tour file. Tony says he's still waiting for it to be declassified and Gibbs tells him to wait faster.

Ziva and Gibbs are questioning Korby's CO. He gave Korby a poor review. Gibbs says that what's funny in basic isn't always so in the field. He asks who in the unit has the biggest beef with Korby and the Sergeant pauses before saying, 'No one worth mentioning.' Gibbs then tells Ziva to put a hold on all promotions which makes the Sergeant give a name, Private David Singer, because he's waiting for a promotion.

At the local base, Gibbs and Tony approach the Private where he's doing chin-ups. Tony tells him to take a break and a shower and Gibbs asks about the falling out he had with Korby. He says he was visiting a friend in Norfolk and Tony asks if this friend lives on a street corner and sells pharmaceuticals out of a paper bag, Singer says he's not on the juice. Gibbs then asks if this friend has a name and Singer says nothing. (Me thinks he's gonna pull the old 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' rule because I have a feeling his 'friend' is his gay lover) Tony starts to give the symptoms of steroid use and Singer asks if he's ever been shot at. Tony calmly says, 'Once or twice' and Singer says that people were getting blown up over there and Korby was saran wrapping guys to their cots. (I thought Marines called them racks) Singer gives the name of his 'friend', Chris Norton. Says he's a high school buddy.

Tim says he's still waiting for the paper but he had a talk with Central Command up in MTAC and Tony tells him to not brag. Two months ago is when the unit began falling apart. Tony says it must be a lack of discipline and Gibbs says it could have been too much.

Gibbs says Korby was beaten and Ducky confirms it. Gibbs calls it a 'Code Red' and I'm reminded of the Jack Nicholson film, A Few Good Men.

Tony takes Tim and Ziva on a 'mobile campfire'. He leads them to the men's room, tells them to talk loud, he'll be able to hear them and calls them both 'probie'. Ziva objects saying, 'McGee has been here six years. I have been here four. I know you're enjoying this, but we are agents. So could you please stop calling us…' Gibbs comes out and asks, 'Problem, Probie? You've been an agent for all of one week. Your Mossad liaison days are over.' He then calls Tony to finish the mobile campfire. Tim and Ziva add what they've learned as well.

Abby is admiring Korby's pranks and tries to take her Caf-POW! from Gibbs but he won't give it over. Jimmy comes in carrying a nitrogen canister and she tells him no more refills. They figure out that Korby's lunch thermos is what was used to kill him. As Gibbs is walking out he says, 'Good work. Both of you' and GibbsSmacks Jimmy.

Tony arrives at Korby's house and thinks his wife and step-daughter are cleaning up the crime scene. Sara says she's just clearing out old memories. He accuses her of being attracted to men who have trouble staying alive and she gets pissed at him and tries to make him feel bad for that. Singer drives up, carrying some flowers and the look on Sara's face says she knows him, and not just as one of Korby's squad mates.

At HQ, Tony's tilted back in his chair, staring at the ceiling with his feet on his desk. Tim asks if the sky's falling and Tony says it might because he's starting to think the wife didn't do it. Tim and Ziva tell Tony what they found out from Korby's squad and come to the conclusion that Korby's squad is covering for each other. Gibbs approaches and asks Tony if he's taking a break and throws a report at him. Tony says he's just checking out the sprinkler system, then says, 'Ooo, the sign out log for the company command post on base.' And Gibbs says, 'Page 28.' Ziva hurries around to stand behind Tony while he checks it out. Turns out that Sergeant Barnes, Korby's squad leader, lied about where he was the night Korby was killed. Tim finds out that Barnes was denied his promotion and they all think Korby was the reason.

Tony and Ziva go looking for Barnes. They find him having lunch with some other Marines. When they ask to speak with him he asks if they can do this some other time. Tony says, 'Uh, let me check. Ziva?' Ziva says, 'No.' When Tony tells him they have to go now, Barnes says he has to talk to the men he was sitting with and turns to go back to his table, when he does, he knocks over a waitress spilling her tray of beer, prompting Ziva to throw him face down in what appears to be chicken salad. Tony takes out Barnes' wallet and hands the waitress some money.

Gibbs enters the interrogation room and lays out their case for him. Telling him they know he did it. Barnes says he did it for Korby because he almost got them all killed when one of his jokes went off by accident. Barnes says he only put a drop of paint thinner in Korby's coffee to get him sent home on medical leave. The night Korby died Barnes was at a bar having face time with some of his seniors trying to get his promotion back. Gibbs says that's not gonna happen.

Tim says that Barnes' alibi checks out. Tony says he still thinks the wife did it. Gibbs says that there was still a Marine car at the scene. Tim finds out that Singer's card was used in a hotel near where Sara was staying the night of Korby's death. Told you Sara knew him as something more than her husband's squad mate. Tim says they found proof that the wife bought the materials to make the pipe that killed her husband. I bet she took Singer's car while he was asleep and drove home and killed her husband. She says she went home to tell Korby she was having an affair but she lost her nerve. As Tony's arresting her, Gibbs says no, she's not guilty. Something about the photos catches his eye and tells him she didn't do it. Ooo. The daughter did it. She tried to frame Sara for the murder because her trust fund is in Sara's control until Rachel's 25.

The next morning, Tim comes in and Ziva hands him a cup of coffee, smiling smugly. Tim sits down at his desk, taps his keyboard and it explodes in foam and he yells at Abby. Ziva tries to apologize to Tony by playing a prank on him and turning his teeth blue with some dye in his coffee.

to the top

Outlaws and In-Laws

There is some commotion on board a Navy ship over a small sailboat. The captain says there's nothing to worry about until they see the dead bodies. The captain tells his agent afloat that it's got her name written all over it and she says no but it is labeled. The name of the boat? Kelly.

At NCIS, Ziva has fallen asleep on a stack of papers. Tim dares Tony to mess with her but before he can, she tells him she's awake. He warns her about falling asleep at work and she tells him she's been there since Gibbs called her in at 1 am so that he, Ducky and Vance could go investigate a crime scene in San Diego Harbor. Tony's wondering why his Mate didn't ask him to do it, or rather, why his Mate didn't wake him when he left their bed. They have the following conversation:
Tony: Ducky means bodies. They called you to cover?
Ziva *sitting up with a piece of paper stuck to her cheek*: I believe you call this hazing.
Tony *pulling the paper off*: We call this the Bill of Rights. *looking scared* Are you studying to become a naturalized American citizen?
Ziva: I have to, if I want to become an agent.
Tim: Good for you, Ziva.
Tony: Wait a second. Who says we want her as an American?
Ziva: Who says you have a say?
Tony: A little thing called the Constitution.
Ziva: Oh, really? (And I actually heard it as 'o, rly'. Guess I need to stop reading I Can Haz Cheeseburger?) Where?
Tony: It's in there and it talks about dangerous foreign aliens stealing our precious bodily fluids.
Tim: That's Dr. Strangelove.
Tony: Well, yes, but I think it's also the 16th amendment.
Ziva: "The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment…" (I must admit I had to google that just so I didn't have to keep stopping the the playback to get it right.)
Tony: What are you learning this stuff through osmosis?
Tim: We'll be lucky to have you, Ziva. The more the merrier.
Tony: Laissez-faire immigration policy like that is what Rush Limbaugh says led to the greatest economic crisis in the history of our fantastic nation.
Tim: Do you have any idea what you're talking about.
Tony: You bet your ass I do. I'm talking about the American Dream.
Ziva: What do you know about the American Dream?
Tony: Well, let's see, I'm a white male between the ages of 18 and 49, with a loud mouth and a gun. I am the American Dream. (except he's not between the ages of 18 and 49 only Ziva doesn't know that) *a phone rings*
Tim: Oh, thank God. *picks up his phone* Agent McGee.
Gibbs: Two dead bodies, McGee. Photos coming your way. Tell Abby to clear the decks.
Tim: Okay. What are we looking at, Boss?
Gibbs: I don't know yet.
Vance is standing on a dock with the female agent afloat, looking at the boat
Agent Cortez: At 5 am I secured the crime scene, Director and began to process it. I ran the VIN and found the boat was registered to an NCIS Agent Gibbs. That's you, right? *looks past Vance to where Gibbs is standing* So what's the deal? What's with the dead guys?
Vance: Shell casings, Izzy.
Cortez: Bagged and tagged, Sir.
Ducky *in the boat looking at the bodies*: I take it you didn't move the bodies?
Cortez: No, Doctor, I was trained better than that.
Ducky: There's no identification in their pockets, Jethro, only cash. Dollars and pesos.
Vance: Agent Cortez, if you didn't know this boat, loaded with dead bodies, belonged to an NCIS agent, how would you think it ended up rolling into a Naval base?
Cortez: I'd speculate, given the currents, it came from the south, somewhere in Mexico, possibly. As for who might have set it on its course, I wouldn't think to guess.
Vance: You usually set the thing on fire for a Viking funeral. *turns to Gibbs who by this time is smirking* You know any Vikings who live in Mexico?
Ducky: Well, this does have more of a Wild West feel to it.
Gibbs: Solved it already? Glad I made the trip. (and left my Mate home in bed)
Ducky: You've only taken one vacation this year, Jethro (like Gibbs takes several a year when we all know the man hardly ever takes even one).
Vance: Sailed the Gulf route to Mexico, right? One-way plane ticket back.
Gibbs: Did I have the fish or did I have the lasagna? I left him with the boat. He trailed it to the West Coast. It was a gift. For my goddaughter (that's Mike Franks' granddaughter for those who don't know)
Vance: This is how he repays you?
Cortez is in the dark and isn't happy about it, thinking they know who the killer is. Vance tells her to clear a path with the Mexican police because they're heading south. When they get there, she pulls out her gun and Gibbs tell her it won't be necessary and she asks if he's sure. On the beach, Gibbs finds evidence of a struggle in a pile of destroyed painting implements. Vance comes out of the house and says no one's home and asks where Mike is.

At the NCIS garage, the boat has arrived for the team to process. Everyone except Abby is amazed it's no longer in the basement. Abby is excited because she gets to figure out how he got it out of the basement.

The two dead men have been identified, Calvin Blanchard and Roy Keenan. Both have military backgrounds and both were dishonorably discharged. Blanchard was Army and Keenan washed out of the Navy by the time Mike had already retired. Gibbs thinks it's revenge and Vance doesn't like the sound of it. Vance thinks Gibbs knows more than he's saying.

In Autopsy, Ducky doesn't know more than that the two men were shot to death. He says they were shot over and over and over. Ducky also says the bodies were staged.

Gibbs goes to the garage to ask Abby if the firefight was onboard. When Abby says she has to carefully take the slugs from the wood, Gibbs tells her to take it apart.

Tim and Tony are trying to figure out why two bad guys would go after Mike. Tony is still telling Ziva that she's not going to pass her test and trying to shake her confidence. He does his usual babbling and tells her she should be writing this stuff down because it's gold. She snaps her pencil and says, "Oh, look. My pencil broke." He starts to tell her that destruction of government property won't look good on her application when Gibbs comes in. He tells Gibbs that Tim had an interesting idea, but Gibbs just keeps walking. Tony approaches where Gibbs is waiting for the main elevator and says it looks like Mike didn't know his attackers at all and Gibbs just tells him to find the connection.

At his house, Gibbs is in his basement looking at a photo of him and Mike after a fishing trip when he hears a door upstairs close and a child's voice. He heads upstairs to find Mike's daughter-in-law, Leyla, and granddaughter, Amira, in his living room. He tells Leyla she can put Amira to bed in the other room and Mike comes in. Gibbs asks him why those two men were after him and Mike says, "I was hoping you could tell me."

While explaining what happened, Mike pulls out a pack of cigarettes and Gibbs says, "Don't even think about it." Mike assures Gibbs that the girls were safe during the shoot-out and says something about how he prefers to die and Leyla says she hates when he talks like that. Turns out he's thinking about having them stay with Gibbs while he takes care of the threat against him.

The two men were PMC, private military contractors. Ziva says they both got kicked out of their respective services but found new homes and Tony interrupts her by quoting the inscription on the Statue of Liberty and Gibbs gives him a look that stops him. They were working for a Colonel Merton Bell. Gibbs tells them to bring in Bell and Vance enters:
Vance: Hold up a second. You guys got a location on Mike Franks?
Gibbs: No, they don't (which isn't a lie)
Vance: Franks wasn't living alone on that beach. He's been with a young woman for almost three years now, his daughter-in-law, Leyla Shakarji.
Gibbs: And her daughter, Amira.
Vance: you telling me we can't find a fugitive on the run with an Iraqi woman and a child?
Gibbs: No, I'm saying we've kept our attention on the dead men.
Vance: And now you want to drag in Colonel Merton Bell.
Gibbs: And that's not alright with you?
Vance: No. Do I need to explain my problem?
Turns out that Vance doesn’t want to insult Bell by having Gibbs arrest him. Vance is also nervous about how Gibbs isn't making much effort to find Mike. Gibbs then says that Mike is at his house. Vance tells him to send his team to watch them. As Gibbs is leaving he asks if there's anything Vance would like to help him with and Vance picks up his phone to call Bell and ask him to make himself available for Gibbs to question.

At Gibbs house Tony walks in:
Tony: Hello?
Mike *pointing a gun at the door*: DiNozzo. You should have told me you were coming. (I'm guessing Mike doesn't know about Tony and Gibbs so Tony's staying at his old apartment while Mike's 'visiting'.)
Tony: I called and you didn't pick up.
Mike: I'm not gonna answer the phone! I'm a fugitive.
Tony: So, what do ya want me to do?
Mike: Knock.
Tony: Why would I knock? (When I live here?) There's no lock on that door.
Mike: Someone may be on the other side with a gun?
Tony: Why would someone be standing on the other side with a gun?
Mike: Because there's no lock on the door. ('Who's On First', anyone?)
Ziva: This has been very educational, gentlemen.
Mike: Lady Ziva! Glad you're here. Gibbs send ya?
Ziva: We have been instructed to sit on the baby. *Mike looks very worried*
Tony: It's gonna be fine, Mike and it's good to see ya. Have a mint. Got your marching orders too. McGee's waiting outside to drive ya to NCIS.
Leyla is worried about him leaving and Mike reassures her.
Mike to Tony: Why don'tcha put something in front of the door.
Tony: Nah, I'll just stand here with my gun.

Vance is asking Bell about the two dead men. He's throwing spin like it's going out of style. Gibbs tells him that these two men were not proper military men. Bell throws a bit of an insult at Gibbs by saying he gets his best men from the Marine scrap heap. He says they told him about the mission to Mexico so Vance asks about Mike. Bell says he doesn't know Mike. Turns out they were after Leyla, not Mike. Gibbs says that the real bad guy here is Mike. I'm guessing Leyla's family was looking for her to try and reconcile.

Vance doesn't like the fact that Mike isn't feeling guilty about killing those men. Mike reminds Gibbs that Leyla's family disowned her when she got pregnant with Liam's child. Vance is beginning to think that Mike isn't telling the truth and asks what he used to kill them. His telling of it matches enough to sound like the truth but I can tell Gibbs doesn't truly believe and neither does Vance.

In the garage, Tim is shocked that Abby's tearing the boat apart. Abby says she's trying to keep it so she can put it back together. She found a bullet within a bullet. Tony goes to the basement so he talk to Tim and Abby about the case without Leyla hearing. Abby asks him to look for some way for Gibbs to have removed the boat.

Ziva is bonding with Amira and tells her she has very peaceful eyes. Leyla tells Ziva about how she couldn't resist even talking to Liam because it was basically love at first sight. Tony asks where Leyla and Amira were when the fight started. She says she was inside but Amira was outside with Mike.

At NCIS, Tim is telling Gibbs about Leyla's mother. Mike says he can tell Gibbs all that and Gibbs just tells him to keep working. Ducky calls and says he needs to see him.

In autopsy, Abby and Ducky have a line of evidence jars with bullets in them on a tray and they try to tell Gibbs that Mike is lying. All the .45 slug wounds were straight down and there's a partial .22 slug. Gibbs tells them he knows that Mike didn't kill the two men and that he shot them to destroy the evidence of who did. I think it's safe to say that someone was Leyla.

Gibbs takes Mike's 'confession' away from him. Gibbs reminds Mike about a case they caught Gibbs' second year at NIS: a sergeant and his friend took his son hunting when the little boy's gun accidentally went off, killing the friend and the sergeant shot his friend to cover up that his son was the true killer. Mike wants to know when he figured it out.

Tim tells them that Leyla's mother is on her way to DC and Tim goes to the airport to pick her up. She walks up to him, tells him who she is and drops her bag without even pausing.

She's in interrogation with Gibbs, Vance and Mike watching. Vance sends Mike in to talk to her. She makes a Greek reference and he calls her on how much misery she leaves behind. She says something that pisses him off enough to threaten to hit her and she calls his bluff to which he replies, "I have a hard time believing you're a woman." She says she sent those men to bring Leyla 'home' to Iraq because Leyla and Amira are all the family she has left. I'm thinking she might be dying. Mike tells her that he didn't even know the two men were coming. Tells her that Leyla killed them. He tells her to never underestimate a mama bear when her cub is in danger and that he won't let her take them back into the fold. She tells him that Bell has assured her the job will be completed and that she's already made the final payment.

At Gibb's house, someone turns off the electricity and throws in a flash bang. One of the men knows Ziva. They ask what he's doing there and he says he's there to rescue a kidnapped girl and her mother. Ziva tells him they're in Gibbs house and they're actually abducting them. His men want to continue and he knocks them all out, turning on Bell and going over to Tony and Ziva's side, taking Team Gibbs to meet Bell and effectively having them catch Bell red-handed. Bell makes a comment about how he has a big arsenal behind him and Tony makes a lame joke about how Bell's suit covers it up nicely. Gibbs smirks at his Mate's attempted humor and Tony apologizes because the flash bang has made him loopy. Bell says he hasn't broken any laws and Gibbs says he hasn't broken any American laws and Ziva says that bounty hunting is illegal south of the border.

Vance wonders if Mike will be able to get along with Leyla's mother. Gibbs tells a story about how way back on his father's side two of his ancestors had fathers who fought on opposite sides of the civil war and yet they still got married. The two men ended their days sitting side-by-side in wicker rockers on the porch of the house they shared and yet they never said a word to each other.

to the top

Endgame

to the top

Power Down

to the top

Child's Play

to the top

Faith

to the top

"Ignition"

to the top

Flesh and Blood

to the top

Jet Lag

to the top

Masquerade

to the top

Jack-Knife

to the top

Mother's Day

to the top

Double Identity

to the top

Jurisdiction

to the top

Guilty Pleasure

to the top

Moonlighting

to the top

Obsession

to the top

Borderland

to the top

Patriot Down

to the top

Rule Fifty-one

to the top

As much as I enjoyed doing the reviews in the past, I seem to have lost interest in it. I'm sorry for those that were reading them but I'm sure there are other places where you can find a review.

back | email me

This site and its contents ©2009. All rights reserved.