Tim's POV:

As I stare in to the crib at the...thing...my parents brought home last month I wonder why they even bothered. All it ever does is eat and sleep.

"Timothy. Leave your brother alone. I just got him to sleep," Mom scolds from her place in front of the TV. Where she can usually be found these days. Ever since coming home from the hospital she doesn't seem to have much energy. She doesn't even cook dinner any more.

"I'm just lookin'," I mutter.

"Well, just don't. Okay?" Mom replies on a sigh. "Come away from there before you accidentally wake him."

I turn to stare at the back of her head. How'd she even know I was standing over the crib?

"Go on now. Go help your father finish dinner," she orders without even turning to look at me. "Go."

As I turn and slowly make my way into the kitchen, I swallow the angry and hurtful things I want to say. Why can't I ever do anything right? What is it about me that she hates so much? I wonder if she'll treat this son better. Will he get all the love and attention that I don't? Will he be able to make her smile with pride? With joy?

"What's your problem, huh?" Dad asks as his slaps me upside the back of my head as soon as I enter the dining room. "Why you have to upset your mom? Huh? Especially today. It is Mother's Day, ya know."

"Yeah, I know," I mumble as I rub the spot where his ring hit. I pull my fingers away, expecting to see blood, but find none. I swear, one of these days...

"So? Where's your gift?" he demands getting in my face. "You know she'll want it as soon as we sit down to eat."

"I don't have one," is my reply. I look him in the eye, daring him to hit me again.

As soon as the words leave my mouth I wish I could take them back. His face gets all dark, his eyes narrow in anger. There's a vein throbbing in the middle of his forehead. I've just screwed up yet again. And his next words confirm it.

"Ungrateful. That's what you are. Your mom and I have sacrificed for you and how do you thank us?" he starts pushing me backwards with a finger in my chest. "You don't do anything but sit in your room and read those books of yours. You never go out, never help around here," he has me backed against the wall, his nose almost touching mine. "Well, guess what mister? That's all about to change. Starting today, you will help your mom with your brother and you will not complain about it. Am I clear?"

"Crystal," I grit out through my teeth. What'd I do to end up with this family? How can God be so cruel?

"Good. Now go get the glasses and finish setting the table," Dad orders as he turns to walk into the living room where Mom and the baby are. "How is he?" I hear him ask. The baby's been sick. The doctors were afraid Mom would lose him before he could be born so they took him early. She had lost several before she got pregnant this last time.

I don't stay to hear Mom's response. I enter the kitchen and start to pick up the glasses when I realize that they'd probably never even notice if I left. So instead I slip out the back door and head out to the tree house Adam and I are building in the woods behind the house.

When I get there I find Adam already using it.

"Oh, hey. Tim you know Deva Martin, right?" he asks as he sits up and helps her pull her shirt back down.

"Yeah. Hey, Deva."

"Tim," Deva is real pretty and if Adam hadn't already told me that he liked her, I would probably go for her. "I should go," she says as slips her shoes back on.

"No. You guys were here first. I'll go," I reply as I turn to exit the tree house.

"Tim," Adam calls. "Did something happen?"

"Of course, Adam. Doesn't something always happen?" I retort. "I can't ever seem to do anything right."

"So, Deva will go and you and I will talk. Okay?" Adam asks as he reaches out and grabs my arm.

I can't do anything but nod my head. Fighting back tears I turn my back as they say their goodbyes. The sounds of their soft kisses are like hot knives straight into my heart.

"See ya at school, Tim," Deva calls out as she climbs down from the tree.

"Yeah, see ya," I reply.

"Okay. Talk to me, buddy," Adam commands as he closes the trap door and locks it.

"You know the story. Why do you make me tell it over and over?" I can't keep the frustration out of my voice.

"Maybe you should tell someone who can help."

"Yeah? Like who?" I demand as I turn to face him, the tears finally falling down my face. "You know what my folks would do if they knew I had told you about any of this, much less some stranger?" My body is shaking from the force of my sobs. "Why do they hate me? What'd I ever do to deserve this?" These are all questions that neither Adam nor I will ever be able to answer. I'm hoping one day I'll get up the nerve to ask Mom and Dad. They're the only ones who can answer them for me.

"I don't know, man. Wish I did. Really," Adam just pats me on my shoulder. He has a good relationship with his folks. He's the youngest, and the only boy of six. His parents and sisters all dote on him. But I don't begrudge him any of it. I might get jealous at times, but I'd never wish my life on anyone, not even my worst enemy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Think they've noticed I'm gone, yet?" I ask several hours later. The sun has started to dip below the trees.

"Can't say for sure, man," Adam mumbles from where he's stretched out on his back staring up at the wind playing with the leaves in the top of the tree. "But whatever. Maybe we should both go home, now. It's starting to get dark and ya know how my mom worries," he continues as he rolls over and starts to get up.

"Yeah, I guess..." I begin to answer.

"Timothy Michael Speedle! You had better have one hell of a reason for worrying your mom and me to death!" I can hear Dad screaming for me not far away.

"Oh, yeah. They were so worried it took them four hours to realize I was gone," I snap.

"Tim..." Adam looks frightened. But then of course he would. All he's ever heard are the horror stories I tell him of how Dad and Mom ignore me and treat me like a male Cinderella.

"Don't worry, Adam. He's really not that bad," I lie. With how angry Dad sounds Adam has every right to be afraid for me. I just might get the beating that Dad has been threatening me with. "Really. I was just exaggerating," I can't let Dad catch Adam with me. I never know what he'll do to me so I definitely don't know what he'd do to Adam.

"You sure, man?" he bites his lip.

"Yeah," I reply with a nod. "Go on. Go home. Don't let him catch you. I'll be fine. You'll see," I reassure him as I start to climb down to confront Dad.

"Just where the hell have you been, young man?" Dad growls from right behind me as my feet touch the ground.

It takes every ounce of will power I possess to not respond with some smartass remark. "I needed some time to think," is the answer I do give.

"Your mom is so worried she's gotten Joshua upset. You are grounded indefinitely. Did you hear me?" he grabs my arm as I try to walk past him.

"Yeah. I couldn't help but hear you, what with you screaming right in my ear!" I yell back.

His face goes purple with rage as he raises one arm, his hand fisted. I squeeze my eyes shut and wait for the pain. But it never comes and after several seconds I open one eye and see Adam holding Dad's arm.

"You will not hit him, Mr. Speedle," Adam informs him. His face is pale with fear, but he's so much braver than I am... I would have just stood here and let Dad hit me. But not Adam. Adam would fight. Will fight even my father. He stands his ground and is courageous in the face of my greatest fear. Dad ready and willing to hit me.

"Oh, really? And just who's going to stop me?" he asks as he pulls his arm free.

"Me," Mr. Young replies. Adam, Dad and I all turn to see him striding through the budding trees to ours. Our fort. The one we tried to keep secret from our parents. Me as a refuge, Adam because he knew I needed one.

My knees go weak as I realize that Adam and his dad saw everything. They now know for sure that my family is not as perfect as theirs. When Dad gets me home...

"Stay out of this, Mark," Dad turns on Mr. Young. "This doesn't concern you."

"Of course it does," Mr. Young responds as he steps between Dad and me. "Tim is Adam's best friend. When Tim's upset, Adam's upset. And that I cannot allow any longer," Mr. Young looks at me over his shoulder. "You okay, Tim?"

I can't speak, so I just nod.

"See?" Dad snarls. "Now take your son and leave me and mine alone."

"I don't think so, David," Mr. Young states as he pushes me back away from Dad's outstretched hand. "He'll be spending the night with us. Maybe even longer."

"You threatening to call Social Services on us?" Dad gets right in his face with an evil smirk. "You seem to be forgetting that my wife works for them. They will not investigate one of their own. Especially ones like Irene and me. As far as anyone knows, we're the perfect American family. Now step away from my son and leave us alone."

"Mr. Young, please?" I beg as I step out from behind him. "I'll be fine."

"You sure Tim?" he asks again as he turns me to face him. The compassion in his face hurts. I don't think I've ever seen a look like that on the faces of my own parents...

I nod again, the bravest thing I've ever done, before walking backwards to stand next to Dad who puts his hand on my neck and starts to squeeze. I just barely keep from wincing at the pain.

"Okay. If you're sure?" Mr. Young asks one last time.

"I'm sure. Thank you for your concern, Mr. Young," I tell him, silently begging him to see through the bravado to the fear as Dad leads me away.

A few minutes later, we enter the back yard. "You just wait mister," Dad leans down to hiss in my ear. "Up to your room, until I can decide what your punishment should be."

"You mean beyond the grounding?" I can't keep from asking.

"Boy, I swear you are working my last nerve," Dad snarls as he slams me up against the backdoor his body holding mine in place.

We just stare at each other, both breathing hard. The stalemate is broken by Mom opening the door at my back and Dad letting me fall to floor at her feet.

"I see you found him," she states in a monotone voice, showing just how little she really cares.

"Yeah. And he almost caused me to get into a fight with Mark Young," Dad informs her as he steps over me to take the baby from Mom, cooing at him. "How's my little man?"

I roll to my feet and after a moment's hesitation I run from the kitchen up to my room where I slam my door and then wait for the sky to fall on my head.

previous | main story listing | next | email me

This site and its contents ©2009. All rights reserved.