Word Count: 6,970
Date: August 15th, 2005
Keywords: Pre-slash, bonding
A/N: Written for TiVoGrl ~ thanks honey
Beta: Onyx Ice











Narcissa Malfoy was not sleeping. IN fact, she was doing exactly the opposite staring blankly at the ceiling of the master bedroom. She wondered why she’d never seen it coming. After all Lucius had been a known Death Eater. As Voldemort’s right hand man he was bound to wind up dead. It was just Lucius seemed bigger than life, almost immortal. She’d always counted on him to protect the family and to survive the war. There was never a thought it would go any other way. If he was going to die, she’d thought it would be in some tragic battle saving his family, not by receiving a Dementors Kiss.

She shuddered and rubbed her eyes. Giving up trying to sleep she decided instead to attack the ledgers and paperwork that needed attending. She’d also been putting off going through Lucius’ personal papers.

Since it was almost dawn anyway she attended to her morning routine, appearing in Lucius’ study some twenty minutes later. She had a house elf fetch her some coffee and set about her task. After tending to the bills she started to sort through Lucius’ personal legal documents to set them in order.

Narcissa had never been in Lucius’ desk before. Her eyes took a quick inventory of the tidy drawers. After unlocking the center drawer of the old mahogany desk her eyes immediately fixed on a long black envelope. Untying the silver ribbon holding the envelope together, she quickly scanned the rather official looking document inside.

“No,” she began to mutter repeatedly as she clutched her throat. Her long perfectly manicured red nails dug into the soft flesh in horror, leaving small half moon indents. She realized she was screaming and forced herself to remain calm. But to find this of all things, a betrothal contract!

I, Lucius Malfoy, by wizards oath witnessed this day, hereby commit in this legally binding contract that my first born son, Draco Lucius Malfoy shall upon his sixteenth birthday commit in the form of a betrothal to marry the first born daughter of Samuel Parkinson , namely Pansy Anne Parkinson…

Narcissa could read no further. She felt sick that her own husband had betrayed them in this manner. Her sapphire blue eyes scanned the one paragraph over and over. How could Lucius not tell her? She gasped again, feeling the room close in on her,” Draco, oh Merlin, my poor Draco!”

Draco’s mother had no doubt that her son would not take this news well. They’d spoken at great length about his sexuality when he’d turned fifteen and they’d had ‘the talk’. It was at that time Narcissa found out for certain that Draco was gay. Although, she’d expected as much; just as Lucius was an alpha male in every regard, Draco had always been the opposite, not matter how hard Lucius had tried to mold him into his image.

Now that the shock was wearing off, Narcissa’s sharp and cunning mind went to work. There just had to be a way out of this sordid affair. Voldemort had made it clear that since Lucius had given his life for the cause he fully expected Draco to come into the Death Eater fold. If Draco married into the Parkinson family it would only ensure that he’d be given the Mark. That Pansy brat would no doubt figure out that the widow Malfoy was not in the least bit interested in the cause, which in turn would get her killed. Narcissa simply wanted to save her family, which brought her mind around again to Draco.

There was nothing for it. She would have to go to the leader of the opposition, Albus Dumbledore. There was nothing else she could do was there? But why would he help them? She’d have to offer something to prove her sincerity. Looking around the Manor a small smile passed over her lips. Perhaps a deal could be worked out after all.

But that would only solve half the problem, Narcissa realized. Yes, it would give them protection, but what about Draco? The Parkinson’s would still demand Draco carry out the terms of the contract. She called to one of the house elves to bring her a few books on betrothal contracts and arranged marriage laws along with a second cup of coffee. Determined to save her son, Narcissa set to work.

The midmorning sun was starting to pour through the floor length windows of the study when she finally found a way out. She read it over several times to make sure she’d remember it. Yes, this was the answer.

Narcissa drummed her fingers on the desk. Her perfectly manicured nails striking in succession echoed in the well-appointed room. She had two options as she saw it. Either take Draco straight to Dumbledore and do the soul mate potion there, or do it at home so they could prepare themselves. Yes, if Draco was unhappy with the results he could have his temper tantrum at home and not embarrass them both.

She had the house elves send for Draco. Upon his arrival she thrust the contract at him. She muttered a calming charm as he read it. As expected he went completely ashen and sank into the nearest chair, weak with shock. Before he could speak she handed him the book pointing out the passage to read.

Arranged marriages can only be broken under the following conditions: Death of one of the parties involved, a child or pregnancy by one of the parties from someone other than their intended or lastly, evidence that shows the soulmate of one party is not that of which to whom they are betrothed.

“I’ll have to find my soul mate, won’t I?” Draco asked in a nervous voice.

“I’m sorry Draco, but it’s the only way. Of course, you’ll have to bond with whoever it is, before the Parkinson’s find out. “

“I understand,” Draco gulped. “I’ll go make the potion.” Narcissa smiled sadly then accompanied Draco to make the potion. It took a bit over an hour to make the delicate brew. When the potion swirled into a peridot green they both looked at each other with trepidation.

Draco added the requisite drop of his blood and a tear, which was no problem since he was crying in the belief his life was over either way. It was bad enough to have the shame of losing his father in such a way. He would hardly miss the man who’d make his life a living hell for years, but he was still his father. But to be betrayed by him like this? To be betrothed to Pansy Parkinson of all people?

He looked up at this mother who was tight lipped with stress. The only other outward indicator of her displeasure at what her late husband had done was the near constant tapping of her fingers on the worktable. What if the potion revealed a girl? Well, at least he’d told his mother he was gay already.

“Breathe Draco. I won’t let you marry some girl given your preferences. We will use up the family fortune and go on the run if we must. I had, however, planned on going to your Headmaster with the evidence and seek out his help. In return I will offer the Manor; its libraries and any documents we can find if it will assure your happiness. After all, I do love you.”

Draco embraced his mother,” I love you too.” She smiled at the action. Now that Lucius was really gone they’d become more affectionate towards each other, something Lucius frowned upon. They held each other in this manner as they watched the contents of the silver bowl. The color was swirling with magic and a face was starting to appear. “Bloody hell,” Draco whimpered as the face become clear, on he was quite familiar with, Harry Potter. He felt himself sag into his mother as his legs went weak.

Narcissa was still holding Draco tightly as he began to sob in frustration,” Why me? Of all the people in the world, why Potter? I might as well paint a target on my head, so I can be killed faster!”

“Don’t be ridiculous. He’s going to be a powerful wizard. This is perfect. With his Gryffindor nature he’ll protect you with his life.”

“Are you sure it won’t get me killed? Look at what happened to Sirius mum!”

“Yes, well he was a foolish Gryffindor. You’re a Slytherin and know when to run, and when to hide. Let him fight his own battles. We better get to Hogwarts right away. The blood wards will protect the Manor while we’re gone.”

“But mother, he’ll never agree to this. We hate each other!” Draco yelled pulling away desperately from his mother. “He’s a …”

Draco stopped cold as his mother fixed him with one of her laser-like glares. He gulped. “You prefer another choice then?” she asked coolly.

At once Draco’s mind began to race desperately trying to find an answer. Pansy or Potter? No contest. Potter or going on the run? Potter wins again. Potter or suicide? Draco’s shoulders slumped forward in surrender. Narcissa patted him,” Let’s go.”

Sighing in despair Draco hoped that Potter was in a very forgiving mood.

~~~
“Albus, Narcissa Black Malfoy is here to see you, and she’s brought her son,” Phineus told the current Headmaster from his spot on the wall.

“Indeed? I had not expected them so soon. Please tell the gargoyle to let pass.” A minute later there was a knock on the door.

“Enter!” Albus called out rising from his chair. “Narcissa how good to see you again and how are you doing my boy?” Looking over his half moon spectacles Albus was surprised to see how pale, sad and withdrawn the former proud and confident student had become.

“Hello Albus,” Narcissa smiled at the man kindly then took a seat next to Draco who’d already sunken miserably into the nearest one. She took his hand.

Albus righted his glasses as he sat. “To what do I owe this pleasure?”

~~
Meanwhile at Privet Drive, Harry was hard at work putting a driveway sealer on as per Uncle Vernon’s orders. Yet he no longer cared what they made him do. His thoughts remained on Sirius his late godfather. Harry couldn’t release the guilt over the whole incident.

He was also having rather jealous thoughts toward Ron and Hermione. They had not only begun to date leaving Harry feeling more alone than ever; but both were at the Burrow. And Dumbledore more concerned with Harry’s safety than ever seemed reluctant to let him go to the Weasley’s this year.

Wiping his brow as he put away his tools into the back shed, Harry was surprised to see a school owl headed his way. He looked around nervously as the owl dropped the letter into his hands before sitting on his shoulder. Harry got the hose out and gave the bird some water, drinking some himself as well. With a hoot of thanks the bird took to the air.

Dear Harry,

I will pick you up in one hour. Please pack all your things. You will not be returning this summer. Sorry for the short notice; something has come up.

Sincerely,

A. D.

Harry frowned, wondering what had ‘come up’. Then he realized he only had an hour to clean up, pack and warn the Dursley’s. With a grin, he went inside to prepare. As expected the Dursley’s were torn. On the one hand they were getting rid of Harry far earlier than hoped, yet on the other hand one of those ‘weirdos’ was about to arrive during broad daylight and who knew by what means! So they sat nervously in the living room waiting to see how the Headmaster would arrive when he suddenly appeared. He’d obviously removed the wards on the house for his own convenience.

Albus had port keyed into the house scaring Dudley so badly he ran to his room. “Ah, Petunia I’ll just be taking Harry then. Harry, are you ready?”

“Yes Professor,” Harry replied grinning ear-to-ear. Dumbledore shrunk his trunk down and Harry stuck it in his pocket.

“Owls generally prefer to fly than to travel by this means,” Albus commented opening up Hedwig’s cage and giving her an affectionate pat on the head. “Why not let Hedwig stretch her wings a bit and meet us at the school, eh?”

Harry nodded, opened the front door of the house and watched her fly away. He turned back to Dumbledore after he closed the door quickly. “Ready Professor.” Harry took a hold of the book Dumbledore was holding out and they port keyed to just outside the gates of the school, which swung open as Dumbledore touched them.

“Now Harry, let’s have a little chat during our walk, eh? Do you know what a soul mate is?” Dumbledore glanced at him as he waved the gates shut. Harry noticed they sealed with a flash of magic - he imagined was the protective wards he’d heard so much about.

“Um, no sir,” Harry looked at the old wizard in confusion. He’d started to assume he was headed to Hogwarts because of Voldemort or the Death Eaters. Why was the professor asking about this? Harry stamped down the old anger he’d only recently gotten over about the man keeping secrets from him. This time the headmaster had better come completely clean about things, Harry decided.

“Well Harry every soul has its one perfect partner, its other half that it was separated from as it came down to earth. In every life it is the same souls, regardless of the packaging. This time around Harry your soulmate might be male, the previous life female.

“You mean to tell me you can only love one person?” Harry asked in confusion.

“No Harry. You can fall in love many, many times indeed. There is, however, only one perfect partner. And in our world there’s a potion you can brew to tell you who your soulmate really is. There are laws to protect soulmates too. Sometimes it’s a terrible shock to find out that someone you’ve already liked is your soulmate, or perhaps you’ve hated.”

“Why doesn’t everyone use this potion then?” Harry asked curiously.

“Because the ingredients are rather costly, to be honest,” Albus looked at Harry meaningfully.

Harry was starting to get a bad feeling in the pit of his stomach. He knew someone who could afford it that he hated too. Didn’t Malfoy’s father just die? “Do you mean to say, sir, that Draco Malfoy is my soulmate?”

Dumbledore stopped walking and turned to Harry. “Your feelings serve you well Harry. Indeed I do mean that. I can only imagine you are not pleased by the news.”

“That may be the understatement of the century sir,” Harry ground out between his teeth. How much was Dumbledore keeping from him?

Dumbledore chuckled and held up his hands. “Bear with me Harry. Draco Malfoy lost his father this year. This morning his mother discovered Lucius had contracted with the Parkinson’s for Draco to become betrothed in marriage to their daughter on his sixteenth birthday. Draco’s mother wants to move away from the Voldemort camp, not closer into it; which is what Lucius evidently desired.”

Harry bit at his lip as they began to walk again, sensing there was more to this chat.

“One of the duties of a soulmate is to protect its other half, once found. In the wizarding world its common practice to bond, or marry your soulmate immediately upon the discovery.”

Harry spluttered,” But sir, I’m only 15 and it’s MALFOY!”

Dumbledore held up one hand. “Yes, Harry, as is Mr. Malfoy, but drastic times call for drastic measures. This must be done as soon as possible to ensure Mr. Malfoy’s safety. Wouldn’t it be best to have him on our side, than in Voldemort’s camp? I’m quite sure that Lucius taught him the Dark Arts which he in turn could teach you to defend against. Also binding with your soulmate only makes you stronger. “

“His safety? What about mine? You’re telling me I have to marry Draco Malfoy my worst enemy!” Harry shouted angrily.

“Really Harry? He’s your worst enemy? “Dumbledore looked at Harry reproachfully then continued walking again.

“Okay, okay, so Voldemort is my worst enemy,” Harry growled.

“Yes, something you have in common with Mr. Malfoy. If he married Miss Parkinson he will be pushed into becoming a Death Eater, like his father before him. If he doesn’t, he and his mother will have to go on the run. But if the two of you do this, then both you and I can protect them. His mother can take a position here at the school, or go to Grimmauld Place. And remember Harry he is your soulmate.”

They entered Hogwarts and Harry was lost in thought as he mechanically followed Dumbledore. His mind was racing trying to think of a way out of the situation. Then a thought struck him,” Sir, after Voldemort is killed and the war is over can we get divorced?”

“No Harry, magical marriages such as one between soulmates is for life, as will your magic. Besides Harry I think once you get to know your soulmate you will be pleasantly surprised.”

‘Strike that,’ thought Harry. “Sir what if one of us dies?”

“Then Harry the other will as well, usually within a very short period of time from a broken heart.”

Harry snorted at this. But he could tell Dumbledore was not going to let him out of this one no matter how much he protested. He suspected Malfoy was being pushed into it too. For all Harry knew he’d been given a calming charm back at the Dursley’s. He sighed audibly in resignation. “What does it involve sir?”

Dumbledore smiled as they reached the gargoyle. “That is the next question, whether you two marry or bond. A marriage is formal, similar to a muggle wedding. A bonding is more along the lines of getting eloped, it’s very brief.” As they rode the staircase up to the Headmaster’s office Harry hoped he wouldn’t have to wear a dress.

As they entered grey eyes met green for an instant before they looked away. Harry looked at the woman next to Draco. The last time he’d seen her she had a look on her face as if something very bad smelling was nearby. That look was gone. Harry wondered if it had something to do with Lucius. He smiled at his own joke.

“Harry I don’t believe you’ve ever met Draco’s mother?” Albus asked by way of an introduction.

“Mrs. Malfoy,” Harry stuck out his hand and she shook it gently in return.

“I do believe I will return to Narcissa Black, but you may call me Narcissa,” the blonde smiled at Harry who was holding back another chuckle as Draco looked shocked and stunned to hear his mother’s announcement. “Well Draco, we are all about to become family if I read the look on your soulmates face correctly, why should we stand on formality?”

“But dropping the Malfoy name?” Draco gasped.

“I advise you consider at least hyphenating yours, so those around you can tell where your loyalties lie,” Narcissa said in a cool tone to her son.

“Well if there are no objections to that then I shall log it into the records as Malfoy-Potter?”

“Are you sure there isn’t some other solution?” Harry asked hopefully and desperately.

“No there isn’t you git,” Draco snapped. “Do you think I want to be here?”

Harry looked at Draco with a deadly smile,” You realize Malfoy, that if Voldemort kills me you might have not extended your life by very much.”

“You won’t lose Harry. Do you mind if I call you Harry?” Narcissa asked. He shook his head. “When you bond with my son, you will learn all the Dark spells Draco was taught by Lucius. His magic will combine with yours giving you the strength of two wizards.” Draco looked a bit smug at Harry’s shocked and sickened expression.

“Fight fire with fire, Potter,” Draco smirked.

“Professor,” Harry asked suddenly realizing something,” my House, which is to say, well, neither of our Houses will understand this - much less stand behind us.”

“I’ve already considered that. There will be radical changes this year that the school board only just approved. In the interest of all I’m abolishing the old House system because of the war. But you’ll find out more at the start of school. I dare say you two have quite enough to deal with this year.”

“What about Quidditch?” both boys asked with concern.

Dumbledore sighed and sat down. “Very well. For the time being Quidditch will be suspended. Instead there will be physical defense classes: Archery, Martial Arts, Defensive Broom Skills, Fencing and Boxing. It is time we prepared the school as a whole in whatever way we can. Too many of us rely solely on our magic making us vulnerable and lazy.

Turning to Narcissa he said,” I was hoping you could be the archery instructor. I seem to recall you trained with Elves?”

“You had this all planned out didn’t you Albus?” Narcissa shook her head and smiled accepting both the position and the cup of tea being offered to her.

Dumbledore shrugged. “At my age being forewarned is truly be forearmed.”

“Harry you could help Madame Hooch with Defensive Broom Skills while Draco here can help Severus with fencing. Although from what I hear of your fencing skills I daresay you can teach the class on your own, hmmm??” Draco grinned at his mother and her at him.

“I will bring back Remus to teach boxing and a new instructor will be brought in to assist Professor Flitwick with Martial Arts.” Harry snorted. Albus glared at him. “In the world of Martial Arts, size does not matter.” Draco rolled his eyes.

“But sir, how will we have time for all these extra classes?” Harry asked now worried about failing almost more so than the bonding.

“These classes will be held on Saturday mornings. Competitions will be held before Spring breaks, a sort of mini-Olympics, if you will. The Sorting Hat will be used to sort students to the activity best suited to them.”

“It will be a nice change,” the Sorting Hat declared from its perch high atop a shelf. Dumbledore smiled at it.

“Oh, I should also tell you that with the bond, although no sexual act is needed,” both boys heaved a sigh of relief;” you will need to spend time together, touching in some fashion.” Both boys groaned. Narcissa glared at Draco while Albus did the same to Harry.

“Well let’s get this done. You can spend the rest of the time before school starts getting used to each other and letting the bond settle. Harry, Draco come here please.” Very slowly each walked forward following Dumbledore up to his antechamber. “Take off your shirts please.”

Blushing madly Harry took off his and with a very unhappy yet prideful look so did Draco. Albus took out a knife from a shelf. “Harry your hand,” he held it out and Albus cut a very thin line down the center, he then cut another matching line on Harry’s chest. Turning to Draco, who’d gone even paler, if that was possible at the sight of blood, he repeated the motions.

“Narcissa do you give Draco Lucius Malfoy to be bonded to Harry with his heart and sealed with blood, bonded forever more?”

“I do,” she took Draco’s cut hand and put it over Harry’s chest. A white light shot out. Draco reeled back in fear, but Narcissa held his hand tight to the spot.

“I, Albus Dumbledore, as acting guardian give Harry James Potter to be bonded in heart and blood, forever more to Draco Lucius Malfoy.” As Albus pressed Harry’s hand to Draco’s chest, covering the cut while a green light shot out from Draco’s chest. It scared Harry, reminding him instantly of the Killing Curse. But Albus held his hand to the spot.

“Do you Harry agree to this bonding?” Albus asked in measured tones.

“Yeah I guess,” Harry replied unhappily.

“Do you Draco agree to this bonding?” Albus asked Draco.

“Yeah, it’s not like there’s a choice,” Draco groused.

“I hereby present you with these armbands, so that you may remember your bonding,” Albus intoned. With a flick and wave of his wand feather thin white gold was spun from the very air between them. Slowly the metal slithered onto their arms in green and white reaching from their shoulders to their elbows upon them were etched magical runes as well as the name of the other.

“With the bonding of these soulmates you will be more complete then when you first met. May your relationship continue to grow into its complete form making you both truly bonded in love.” Harry and Draco both looked away from each other, somehow hearing those last words while touching each other in this way suddenly seemed oddly intimate.

“It’s done,” Albus said sadly into the quiet as the green and white magic slowly danced its last around them. They all remained silent for a moment as there was an audible snap in the air. Their hands fell to their sides just long enough to allow them to redress, only to have their other hands instinctively reach out to each other as if pulled like magnets when they’d finished.

“Hey, let go Potter!” Draco yelled.

“I didn’t do it you git!” Harry yelled back.

“Boys, stop it right now!” Narcissa exclaimed. Hearing the authoritative tone they did stop yelling and looked at her with embarrassment. “Now you were just informed that you would need to touch to solidify the bond. Of course it, the bond, needs that reinforcement right away. After all, you just bonded to your soulmate with your hearts blood after years of fighting each other.

Despite looking at each other with murderous glares their hands remained clenched. Then Albus noticed their knuckles turning white as they tried to squish the other hand they were holding. “Boys, please stop this ridiculous rivalry right now. For better or worse, you are married and soulmates. You are meant to be together whether you believe it or not.”

“Perhaps now would be a good time to see where they will be staying for the rest of the summer and school term?” Narcissa offered in an effort to diffuse the situation before it escalated.

Albus gave a terse nod then led the out into the school. Harry was surprised to see they’d stopped in front of a blank wall, in an unused hallway. There was a small block in the wall of a Trinity knot. “Push on it, with your joined hands,” Albus told them. Doing so the wall melted away much like at Diagon Alley and opened up into a good size common area with a couch, fireplace and table, at each end of the room were doors that led into small single bedrooms. Harry hoped they had separate baths. All along the wall were a large number of portraits each containing two people. He dragged Draco over to one to see that they all seemed to be soulmate couples that attended Hogwarts.

“In the unlikely event anything untoward happens before you are both the age of consent the portraits will come to fetch one of us at once to break it up.” Malfoy muttered something that sounded very much like ‘when hell freezes over’. Harry couldn’t have agreed more.

“Still it’s a bit posh isn’t it sir?” Harry asked looking at the velvet draperies, the golden lines to the fireplace and upholstered furniture that looked to be antique.

“The room is suited to the personalities of both occupants.” Dumbledore smiled. “It’s very similar to the Room of Requirement.”

“A bit over the top isn’t it Malfoy?” Harry asked turning toward Draco who was looking at the room in approval.

“Potter-Malfoy,” Draco smirked, “Look, just because we’re bonded doesn’t mean that I’m about to lower my standards.”

“Careful that almost sounded like a backhanded compliment.” Harry smirked.

Draco’s lips became a tight line,” Well if you’re that desperate for one Scarhead.”

“Why you!” Harry lunged for Draco’s throat only to have his arm scream in agony. He grabbed his arm and lifted up his shirt sleeve. The bonding armband was pulsing. Instinctively Harry reached for Draco’s hand and the pain stopped.

Albus looked very seriously at the two. “You cannot and will not harm each other, your new bond will see to that. Do you understand?” Draco looked at Harry’s arm which was still red from the armband. He nodded as did Harry. “Well then the elves will bring up your belongings when they arrive Draco. Shall we?” Albus extended his arm to Narcissa who smiled and took it graciously, leaving the boys alone.

Draco and Harry stared off at each other then glanced around the room, anywhere, but their clasped hands. An awkward silence began to fill the air as neither one knew what to say. Finally Harry broke it. “But I thought you wanted to be a Death Eater like your father.”

Exhaling sharply Draco turned to stare at Harry like he was the biggest idiot in the world. “Would I have gone through all this if that was the case Potter? Honestly, do you ever think?”

Harry chuckled. “What?” snapped Draco.

“Sorry, it’s just… you sound like Hermione,” Harry laughed.

“Considering she’s the only person you know in Gryffindor with a brain I’m not surprised that she sounds like me. It must give her someone to aspire to be,” Draco said smugly.

Harry rolled his eyes and pulled his hand away. With relief he noticed their hands didn’t snap back together. He walked over to the couch and sank into it, shutting his eyes against the world. Draco huffed. He didn’t like being ignored like this. Granted it was weird holding hands with Harry, but it was going to be a long summer if it was going to be like this between touches.

“So…” Draco began. Harry rolled his head in his direction; lazily opened his eyes to throw Draco a dirty look for disturbing his peace, closed them and then rolled his head back to where it had been. Draco felt anger well up inside of him. “Look Potter, I’m at least trying. It would be NICE if you met me halfway.”

Harry slumped forward resting his forearms on his legs then sinking his face into his hands. “Fine what shall we talk about? Quidditch?”

Draco’s face lit up. “Right, that should be safe. What’s your favorite team then?”

“Puddlemere United and the Chudley Cannons.” Harry answered.

“Chudley Cannons? I can’t stand the color of their uniforms, it clashes with everything. Now Puddlemere has some nice taste in theirs,” Draco smiled thinking of the good looking blokes on the team.

“Exactly HOW gay are you Malfoy?” Harry laughed. “Their uniforms?”

Draco’s nostrils flared. “Look Potter. I’m trying here, really trying, but all you’re doing is trying my patience. We’re soulmates there must be some common ground between us. And yes, I’m gay, so what? Need I remind you that you are stuck with a man for the rest of your life, which if you are my soulmate tells me that you are gay too. So when you are finally ready to admit that you are and want to find out what we do have in common let me know.” Draco spun on his heel and walked out of the room.

“DRAMA QUEEN!” Harry yelled at the closed door, but a small smile broke across his face as his mind told him just how cute Malfoy was when he was throwing a fit. Cute? Oh, I am seriously losing my mind. Well, when he gets off his high horse maybe I’ll give it a go trying to talk to him. In the meantime, I’ll just send a letter to Ron and Hermione.

But Harry seriously underestimated the power of a Malfoy snit. Draco didn’t talk to him for the rest of the week. Every time Harry even said ‘hello’ the blond just tossed his head and looked away. When they held hands because of the bond, Draco would read a book or contemplate his nails or some such thing. Harry was being sorely reminded of Hermione in first year.

To top things off Narcissa would give him dirty looks each time she saw him. Apparently Draco was talking to her at least. Harry was starting to understand why people didn’t like their mother in laws, by and large. Each time he thought Draco was finally going to cave in and talk to him, it seemed that Narcissa would remind him why he was mad in the first place.

When Ron’s letter arrived it wasn’t much help at all. Although Harry was quite excited to see Pig arrive with it. Draco had almost smiled at the sight of the little owl. Then he saw Harry looking at him and stormed off. Harry sighed. Something inside of him desperately wanted to see Draco happy. He supposed it was the bond and shook it off.

Dear Harry,

What rotten luck you have! Maybe when we get back we can find a cliff to push him off of, or a hex so good no one will find the pieces. Don’t worry we’ll find someway to get rid of the git!

Your friend,
Ron

Harry sighed. Ron evidently forgot the bit where if something happened to Draco he’d probably die too. He hoped Hermione’s letter would help him out a bit. Harry started to wonder if writing a letter to Draco would do any good when Hermione’s letter arrived next with a general mail owl. Harry tore it open with high hopes.

Dear Harry,

Has Draco cried at all over his father? Maybe some of his upset is displaced grief? He needs you Harry. You’re a Gryffindor and should be there for him. Whatever you do don’t make fun of him again. He just lost his father and is now an outcast to his House, his future and his new husband too? Don’t you think you’re being just a bit selfish and self-centered?

If you can’t be a decent husband, can you try to be a friend? I know it can’t be easy overlooking all those years of fighting, but really wasn’t it a bit childish? Surely, there must be something you can do for him? You could, I suppose in a pinch, give him some flowers or candy as a peace offering. Remember, your school mates may come and go out of your life or go completely, but you will be with Draco for the rest of your life. Please think before you speak. Merlin knows it must have been hard for him to think before he spoke, it’s probably the first time he ever has.

See you in a month,
Hermione

Harry suddenly felt very, very little. Hermione had a way of speaking to him at times that made him feel as though his mother was speaking through her. This definitely qualified as one of those times. Since it was very late, he made his way to bed to sleep on what Hermione had said.

When Harry woke the next morning he had all intentions of apologizing to Draco, but he was no where to be found. Grudgingly, he headed off to breakfast on his own. Hedwig flew down to his plate halfway through his meal with a note. “I’m spending the day with my mother. I’ll see you for hand holding at seven.”

Harry sighed and went for a walk as he tried to sort out his mixed up feelings toward his bond mate. It was different when he had the upper hand with Draco and wasn’t thinking about his feelings. He was starting to understand why Narcissa had given him such dirty looks. It was like he was kicking Draco while he was down. Was holding hands so bad? He had to admit if even to himself there were times he thought Draco was…was…cute.

Harry shivered, but he couldn’t deny it either. Draco Malfoy was just as good looking as he always said he was. Harry snorted. But he had taken girls out on dates. He just wasn’t very good at it that’s all, he reassured himself. Not that any of that mattered now. He was stuck with Draco Malfoy for the rest of his life. But what about the whole soul mate business? Could he really be happy with Draco Malfoy of all people?

Unsurprisingly Harry wound up down at the Quidditch pitch. He wondered if he’d always been so predictable; to his friends certainly, but to Malfoy? Um, make that Potter-Malfoy. Harry sighed as he sat down in the grass and began to pick at the turf.

“Allo ‘Arry!” came a thunderous voice.

“HAGRID!” Harry jumped up and threw his arms around his friend. “Oh, it’s good to see you!”

The half-giant chuckled then ruffled Harry’s hair affectionately. “Good to see you to ‘Arry. Now then, what’s all this about you getting married, eh?” He cocked his head to one side.

Harry sighed and shook his head. “Oh Hagrid, what am I supposed to do?”

“Seems to me it’s already been done. You’re protecting both the Malfoys all because that git Lucius had to go and get involved with You-Know-Who, eh?” Hagrid picked up a stone on the ground. “What say we walk down to the lake, hmm?”

“Sure Hagrid. But it wasn’t as if I had any choice!” Harry yelled.

“Hmm. Well what’s done is done. No sense getting upset about it seems to me you need to try to make the most of it, even if it is to a Malfoy!” Hagrid chuckled, but seeing the dark look Harry was giving him quickly looked away. “Um, he’s given you a lot of grief, has he?”

“Well he’s a royal pain in my …” Harry began, but Hagrid cleared his throat. “Anyway, he’s not even talking to me right now.”

“OH? And why would that be do you suppose, eh?” Hagrid asked bending down to pick up another stone.

Harry mumbled something and looked away, shoving his hands deep into his pockets. “Mmm hmm, had a fight did you? Maybe some things you aught not to have said?”

“Maybe, but if he wasn’t such a drama queen …” Harry began.

“Harry,” Hagrid said in a tone that immediately made Harry stop his rant. “Right then… it seems to me that you have some apologizing to do, eh?”

“ME? Apologize to that git? I don’t think so!” Harry yelled turning red in the face. He’d already forgotten he was planning on doing that anyway.

“Oh, you definitely have your father’s temper. He would never apologize to your mother when they first started to date,” Hagrid relayed.

“What? Really? Well, I’m sure that mom never acted like Malfoy!” Harry spouted.

“Humph, are you now? You were there were you?” Hagrid looked at Harry reproachfully as they started to approach the lake. Harry kicked at the grass.

“Let me tell you ‘Arry. It was a nasty bit of business that, but your mother showed James. She went and got herself a new fellow, about broke your father’s heart. He came crawling back on bended knee and proposed right away.”

“But what about who she was dating?” Harry asked curiously.

“Luckily Remus knew what she was up to and only did it to teach James a lesson. Lily and Remus were great friends, they were. And after that your father learned that sometimes you have to apologize even when you can’t see what you did wrong. That’s what makes a relationship work!” Harry looked back at his feet and thought about what Hagrid had said as they continued to walk in amicable silence.

“Oh now, would you look at that. My spot has already been taken,” Hagrid announced loudly. “I guess I might as well go back to me hut.” Harry looked up to see Malfoy sitting on a rock by the lake with his mother.

Narcissa smiled up at Hagrid. “Hello Hagrid, would you care for some company?”

“Indeed I would,” Hagrid said loudly as Draco looked on with a cross between horror and shock that his mother was talking to Hagrid, much less volunteering to spend time with him. Then his eyes met Harry’s. A flash of pain then anger crossed them before the Malfoy wall crashed down and his mask of indifference was firmly in place. “Go on with you now,” Harry felt Hagrid push him forward toward Draco and nearly fell in the process.

Harry looked back angrily at Hagrid only to get a fierce some scowl in return. He turned away to wind up facing Draco. “Um, hi.” Draco looked away. Harry took a deep breath. “Look I’m sorry.”

Draco looked back at him and stared at him straight in the eye. “Do you mean that?”

“Yeah,” Harry answered before looking out at the lake. “I was wrong to call you names and make fun of you like that.”

“Well for your first apology that will suffice, thank you,” Draco said the last very quietly.

Harry was going to comment then thought better of it and sat down next to Draco and took his hand. Draco looked at Harry’s hand wrapped in his. “We aren’t scheduled to hold hands until 7 tonight.”

“I know,” Harry replied and looked over the lake. Draco gave a small sideways grin and didn’t object. Harry smiled too as he noticed Draco’s reaction and turning of his head to hide his own grin. Maybe Hagrid was right and maybe this relationship could work out after all.