“A Time for Peace”
Add-on to Emerald Dancer
2,024 words
Rating PG
Written for Littleroo27

Draco leaned against the heavy wooden door. He still felt nauseous, but didn’t know if it was from the blazing row he’d just had with Severus or from the baby he thought he was carrying. Gulping past the horrible taste in his mouth, he moved shakily to the full length mirror. The words of his husband washed over him. “Nothing, and I mean nothing in this world will ever make me speak to either one of those…those…vermin ever again.” Draco sank in an ungraceful heap at the base of the mirror.

He looked into it and wondered when he’d ever looked this bad. Draco was sure that if his father saw him now he’d be horrified, even Harry would be concerned. A small laugh escaped him at the realization that Harry was a better friend and his alter ego Fiore a better mother than he could have ever imagined. He knew that Harry suspected his own pregnancy. It was at a recent social event that they’d run into each other retching in the immaculate gardens of their host.

“Et tu, Fiore?” Draco gasped.

“Yes, I believe so. We have to find a way to resolve this mess for the sake of our children,” Fiore had reached over and held Draco’s hand.

Draco was surprised when he pulled Fiore into his arms. “I know, but Sev’s pride was wounded. Merlin knows, I’ve tried. How is father? I miss him so much.”

Fiore wiped the tears that threatened at the corners of his eyes. “He misses you with every breath he takes. Of course, he tries to act as if nothing is wrong.”

Draco nodded and held Fiore tighter. Then he held her at arms length and looked at her. There were bags under her eyes that no amount of makeup could cover. In the three months since the wedding, Fiore was a shadow of herself. Obviously she was worried and not eating or sleeping right. Draco knew the signs since he saw them in the mirror each day. “Maybe if we ran away together, then they would have to work together to find us.”

Fiore laughed at first and then looked at him seriously. “Do you think it would work?”

Draco took a shaky breath. Would it really work? He could not go through this without his father and Fiore. If he had to leave Severus, then so be it. But running away, that seemed so extreme. Why put himself through that when he could just go home. Severus had been good to him, and they did love each other but he was absolutely insufferable when his robes were in a twist. For the past three months, if they didn’t have a fight then they simply did not talk to each other. If this continued on the child would never know the man he knew. He himself grew up in a cold, distant house and was not about to put his child through the same torture.

“Daisy,” Draco moaned covering his stomach with one hand. He was careful not to look into the mirror and see the lovely shade of green he was certain he was now, and knew would clash with his pale blond hair. A small house elf appeared, she took Draco’s hands and helped him over to a chair. She snapped her fingers and placed a warm cup of peppermint tea into his hands. He smiled at her gratefully. The two had become as close as he ever thought he could to a house elf.

“Please pack my things and take them to the Manor,” Draco said softly. Daisy bit her lip, twisted her ears but ran off to do his bidding. She returned a few minutes later.

“They is ready Master Draco. Did you want me to help you go at the same time?” Draco smiled tiredly. This was one of the things he liked about Daisy, she was clever. Draco nodded and took a long look around the room. Daisy seemed to understand and busied herself brushing his hair and tidying up the room. He choked back a sob, finished his tea and stood. Daisy took his hands, and they and the steamer trunks of luggage all vanished.

They reappeared moments later in the Manor. Lucius looked up and charged across the room pulling both Draco and the diminutive Daisy, who had not been noticed into his arms. Pulling away he laughed and tossed the elf into a chair and hugged his son once more. “I’ve missed you so much Draco.”

“I missed you too….” Draco’s legs gave out and he collapsed into his fathers arms. Lucius looked with alarm and caught the house elf’s concerned stare. “What’s wrong with him?” he demanded as he gently laid him down on the nearest settee. Panic set in as he saw the dark shadows under Draco’s eyes.

“Master Draco needs a healer Sir. Daisy does what she can, but I’m used to house elves. And girls at that,” Daisy’s hands twisted in the dress Draco had left out for her one night. She new it was a gift, but if she was a free elf, then she was free to follow Master Draco.

Lucius frowned at the elf. “Well go get our healer then and be quick about it. Our healer is Mr. Gibbons at the edge of the estate. And then find that idiot husband of his and tell him where he is.” Daisy made a face at the last, but vanished in a puff of smoke.

Fiore came into the room, and paled seeing Draco. “What’s wrong?”

“Draco just arrived, and collapsed in my arms. Do you have any idea what’s going on?” Lucius barked. But Fiore knew it was his love for his son that made him snap.

She played with her black velvet dress that she had picked to wear to tonight’s dinner engagement and had tried on to show Lucius. “I think both he and I …”

But before she could finish the healer arrived. Mr. Gibbons was a middle aged man, with a slight balding pattern and glasses. He bowed slightly to Fiore then his attention zeroed in on Draco. “Give him air Lucius!”

Fiore blinked in surprise. There were very few people who ordered Lucius Malfoy about; he himself usually offered a sexual favor at the end of a request to get what he wanted. Lucius moved away, coming over to Fiore he possessively pulled her into his arms. Harry settled in and smiled knowing that Lucius would soon know his secret. It had been a major coup to keep it from him this long.

Severus appeared in the doorway escorted by Daisy. “I DEMAND TO KNOW THE MEANING OF THIS LUCIUS! HOW DARE YOU KIDNAP MY HUSBAND! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO HIM?”

Mr. Gibbons stood, an angry red flush to his cheeks and his wand drawn. “If you know what is good for you, then you shut up this instant. I will not tolerate my patient having his rest disturbed when he’s in this condition!” He hissed angrily at Severus.

Severus was clearly taken aback, folding his arms over his chest he scowled at the healer that was worthy of causing the spontaneous combustion of any first year class. “What’s wrong with him?” he asked coolly. He had not yet deigned to look at Fiore, which made her curl even further into her husband’s arms.

“Your husband is exhausted, and seriously undernourished. This is very bad given the fact that he is four months pregnant.” Mr. Gibbons declared in a tone that was both angry and amused. Standing he added,” I want him to rest. He is to stay here and have complete bed rest for the next week, and then I will come check on him to see if it should be longer. “ With a flick of his wand he levitated Draco through the air to the nearest bedroom.

“Pregnant?” Severus finally said. A slow smile was dawning across his face. “Draco’s pregnant?” He laughed and turned to Lucius. “Did you hear that!”

Fiore slipped out of her husband’s arms just in time. Severus crushed Lucius to him and suddenly all the walls between them fell away. “You old bastard how dare you make me a grandfather!” Lucius laughed.

She crept over to the Healer who had stepped back and was watching the scene unfold while giving instructions to Daisy on Draco’s care. He looked up as she approached. “Could I speak to you?” she whispered, although she need not have bothered. The way that Severus and Lucius were laughing and carrying on the Auror’s would soon be arriving.

He nodded and Fiore escorted them to the next bedroom over. “Could you check me next? I…I’m pretty sure I’m pregnant too. Only I have more in common with Draco than what you think and you must swear never to tell a soul.”

Mr. Gibbons had to grab a hold of a chair as Fiore removed her wig and the glamour that hid the famous scar. “Bless my soul, Lucius married Harry Potter…in drag?” He shook his head. “Today’s youth, I will never understand. Um, Mr. …um …Mrs… I say what do I call you?”

“Harry when I’m like this and Fiore when I have my wig on, if you please,” Harry smiled in understanding.

“Right then, um, Harry please sit down and let me check you.” Within a few minutes Mr. Gibbons was smiling, but it was mixed with a stern look. He gave Harry back his wig then called Lucius who was now sharing champagne with Severus.

He almost ran into the room with a look of concern to see that Fiore had been tucked into the bed. Mr. Gibbons cleared his throat. “Same prescription, bed rest and plenty to eat and drink, Lucius your wife,” and with this he looked at Lucius with amusement,” is also about 4 months pregnant. Congratulations.”

“What? My Fiore is pregnant, too!?” Lucius gasped.

Severus roared with laughter. “You didn’t expect their rivalries to end did you? Of course not, they will probably have a race to see who delivers first!”

“I’m sorry Severus,” Fiore whispered from the bed her eyes filled with tears. “I never meant for my abnormality to come between everyone and for Draco to get himself in such a state.” She began to cry and the word abnormality cut to her very core.

“Fiore,” Lucius was instantly at her side pulling her into his arms. “It was both of us that created this situation. You are not abnormal. We are simply different, yet it is those differences that make us perfect for one another.”

Severus snorted.” Yes, you two deserve each other. But Lucius is quite right. I too was wrong to not try and understand and it nearly cost me Draco. Thank Merlin, he ran here instead of simply running away.”

Fiore cried harder.” It’s my fault. I suggested it too. We were both so sick the night of the Parkinson ball.”

“That’s why you both vanished after dinner,” Severus gasped.

Nodding Fiore continued,” We were both ill in the garden. Neither of us wanted the fighting to continue, so…”

“That’s quite enough you are not taking all the blame,” Draco said from the doorway. Severus swept him into his arms and Lucius immediately transfigured the nearby divan into another bed, which Severus lowered Draco into as the blond rolled his eyes. “I’m fine!”

“You both need to rest, um, Draco and Fiore.” The healer shook his head. “Young people,” he muttered again. “I’ll be back next week,” he said a bit louder then vanished.

Lucius turned toward Severus. “Well old man it looks like we are both going to have children running around soon.”

“At least I won’t be a grandfather,” Severus snorted.

“Shut up you two, I need my beauty sleep,” Draco chastised, but he was smiling happily.

“I could really go for some peanut butter ice cream,” Fiore beamed suddenly.

“Uh oh,” Lucius grinned. “The cravings have begun.”

Severus slapped him on the back,” This will be an interesting ride my friend; a very interesting ride.”