The House Fan Fiction Archive

 

Traditions


by Adrienne S.


James Wilson smiled at Cameron as she talked about spending the Christmas holidays with her parents. He nodded at the right places, although his mind was occupied with two equally horrible thoughts.

One, it was New Year's Eve and only about twenty minutes to midnight. Traditionally, the skeleton staff gathered in one of the lounges and waited out the change in year together as long as there wasn't a patient actively dying. Another tradition was to kiss the person standing closest to you, irrespective of gender, status and personal feeling. Last year, House managed to be standing right next to Steve Farmington, who hated him with a passion. The memory of Steve's expression before, during and after the enthusiastic liplock that House gave him still made him smile. He had a sinking feeling that if Cameron was still within reach at midnight, he'd be forced to kiss her.

There was another tradition between that he and House had, one that had nothing to do with the hospital. Which led to the other horrible thought. Their tradition was, traditionally, private. No one else knew about it and Wilson would have preferred to keep it that way. This year, however, House had been wandering about all shift with a gleam in his eye that did not bode well for any kind of decorum on House's part. House was planning something outrageous and, considering some of the other things House did on a regular basis, that was a terrifying thought.

Why had he agreed to work the overnight on New Year's Eve, anyway? House always worked that shift, not out of any desire to be accommodating to staff with families, but because it gave him the perfect opportunity to mock those stuck working. And, he claimed, he liked the extra pay for working the holiday.

Normally, Wilson would not work on New Year's. That holiday was sacrosanct. He spent it alone with his wife, save for the few minutes House would stop by and fulfil the Hogmanay tradition of having a tall, dark man first cross the threshold. It was supposed to bring good luck for the coming year. Wilson suspected that House was not all that interested in bringing luck, but was quite interested in taking an hour off work and in the dram of Scotch that had to be offered.

Since the infarction, House's visit led to the other tradition, the one that they celebrated privately. Not even Wilson's wives knew about that one. Wilson smiled reminiscently at the memory of how that tradition came about.

-------------

The first days back at work for House were difficult. Wilson knew he was tired and aching and every reminder that he was no longer whole in body irritated him.

House coped relatively well with the inconveniences of his disability; he had thought out well in advance what he was to face, but a simple, innocuous thing like morning coffee had been devastating. Wilson had never seen such a look of helplessness in House's eyes as he had seen the first time House went through the line up at the cafeteria and tried to pay for his drink.

With the coffee in one hand and his cane clutched in the other, House could not reach his pocket to pull out his wallet. Wilson, behind him with his own coffee, could see the well concealed panic in the way House just stood there, frozen. House was not yet confident enough on his feet to let go of the cane at all and the wallet was in his left inside jacket pocket.

Wilson had nudged him forward gently and paid for both coffees. He could tell House was embarrassed, but he thought nothing of it. House had faced more embarrassing things that having Wilson pay for his coffee.

Wilson did not realize then that he had started what was to become yet another tradition between them. Every time after that, House simply assumed that Wilson would pay. Lunch, takeout, coffee, cab fares; House now expected him to pay for it all.

It had been going on for about three months and Wilson was starting to get thoroughly sick of it. At first, he hadn't minded. It wasn't like he couldn't afford it and he honestly didn't mind making House's life a little easier, but the unrelenting mooching was getting on his nerves. He hinted rather strongly that he would appreciate a little reciprocity, but House blithely ignored it. Wilson felt used and resentful towards House and their friendship suffered as a result.

It was New Year's Eve before the issue was forever resolved. Julie had answered the door about ten minutes after midnight, slipping out of his embrace with resigned reluctance.

Wilson had not expected House to keep with the tradition, but he wasn't entirely surprised to see House on his doorstep. Julie motioned him in, with a tolerant smile. She knew that House never stayed long.

House limped in and touched his lips to Julie's cheek briefly in passing. She accepted it with good grace, brushing his stubbled cheek with a kiss of her own.

"I'm not kissing you," Wilson warned as House approached. "So who was this year's victim?"

"Nancy caught me." House grimaced. Nancy Gerrold was a volunteer at the hospital and possibly the perkiest person he'd ever met. She laughed when House growled, and even the rudest, most sexist comments didn't deter her from being sickeningly sweet to him.

"Poor baby. Must be tough, having pretty young things lusting after your bod."

"You'd know," House returned, leering at Julie. Julie smiled briefly and then fidgeted as House kept looking at her.

"Oh!" Julie exclaimed. "The Scotch."

Julie left the two of them standing there and Wilson started to say something. House held up a hand and reached into his jacket pocket. Wilson thought he was going for his pills, but instead House pulled out a slip of paper and handed it over.

Wilson took it and looked at it blankly. It was a cheque, made out to him.

"It's what I owe you for all those lunches and coffee and whatever," House said gruffly. "Thanks."

"House..." Wilson was flabbergasted. The amount was pretty close to the sums he had, in a fit of pique, worked out himself. "You didn't have to..."

"C'mon, Jimmy. I may be a mooch, but I'm not a deadbeat. I do pay my debts," House told him. "Eventually."

"Okay." Wilson put the cheque in his pocket, just as Julie returned with a finger of Scotch in a crystal glass. House took it, downed it and handed the glass back.

"Goodnight you two," House said, opening the door. "I trust you'll start the New Year off with a bang."

-------------

Wilson had thought that House would give him the cheque before the party, but House was having way too much fun picking on his staff. They didn't have anything pressing to do, but House insisted that they had to be here with him. He had told them that if they had dates that they could get out of it as long as they told him all the juicy details. Wilson really couldn't blame them for taking the lesser of two evils.

It was only a couple of minutes to midnight and he watched in some amusement as everybody started subtly jockeying for position. He didn't bother. He was well liked and there wasn't anybody there that he minded kissing, with the exception of House's staff. He'd have House teasing him for the next year if he kissed any of the three.

"Taking your chances?" House murmured to him and Wilson suppressed a jump of surprise.

"You do realize that as things stand, you're going to have to kiss me?" Wilson pointed out. House just grinned, with a maniacal gleam in his eye and Wilson felt his heart sink. He didn't really mind the idea of kissing House, but he suspected that a simple peck on the cheek was not what House had in mind.

"Yup," House agreed and moved closer, leaning both himself and his cane against the table. Wilson rolled his eyes, but didn't move away.

-------------

"... Five... Four... Three... Two... One. Happy New Year!"

Wilson knew that House was planning something and he was resolved to just shrug it off. It was a New Year's kiss, nothing more.

Unless, of course, you were being kissed by a hyperactive maniac with an extremely fertile imagination. Wilson found himself bent over the table, with House practically on top of him and House's tongue doing a remarkably thorough job of checking his dental work. House was also taking the time to do a proper job of exploring his mouth, and letting his hands wander to places that Wilson rather liked hands being. It was the most passionate and enthusiastic kiss that he'd experienced in quite some time, and when House finally released him, he was feeling quite dizzy.

He was suddenly and painfully aware that they had an extremely interested audience. In fact, the looks on everyone's faces would have caused him to laugh uproariously under any other circumstances. He dropped his face into his hands.

"Here." House tapped a slip of paper on one of his hands and he reached out his left hand, the right still covering his face.

It was, of course, the cheque. And this year, the cheque was larger than usual, even taking off the five grand that House ha borrowed for the motorcycle.

He felt a bubble of almost hysterical laughter start to rise and took the cheque.

"Thanks."

"Paying for it now, House?"

Wilson peeked through his fingers to see Cuddy smirking at them.

"Jimmy's easy, Cuddy, not cheap," House informed her. "Don't worry, though. He does give a nice discount for breasts. The nicer the breasts, the nicer the discount. He might even owe you change."

"Wait a minute," Chase protested and Wilson could hear the confusion in his voice. "You paid Wilson to kiss him?"

"Jealous? Trust me, my little wombat, you can't afford him," House assured him. Wilson felt someone's hand touch his, lifting it to see the amount of the cheque. Whoever it was gasped softly. Wilson decided that hiding his face was neither effective or productive. He lifted his head and twitched the cheque out of, as it turned out, Cameron's hand.

"Wilson?" Cameron looked beseechingly at him, her eyes clouded. "Is there something you want to tell us?"

He had no idea how to answer that one and it didn't help that he could feel House shaking with suppressed laughter.

He saw Cuddy roll her eyes and realised that she had figured out what the cheque was about.

"Oh, for God's sake, Dr. Cameron," she began and then caught Wilson's eyes. Whatever she saw in them caused her own to sparkle with mischief. "Does it really surprise you that House pays for it? I mean, how many times has he referred to hookers in your presence?"

"But... Wilson?"

"Wilson's reputation as a sex god isn't exactly a secret either," Cuddy replied, with another eye roll. "And considering the way House normally behaves, is it any wonder that he has to pay a premium?"

At this, Wilson lost it. Between the scorn in Cuddy's voice, the stricken look on Cameron's face, and the we've-been-had realization on Foreman and Chase's faces, he let out the wild howl of laughter that had been building. He made the mistake of glancing at House and the two of them nearly knocked over the table with their uncontrolled mirth.

"You should both grow up," Cameron snapped and stalked away, amid growing laughter from the rest of the crowd. Foreman and Chase hustled after her, presumably to calm her down, but Cuddy came closer and reached around them to pick up a couple of glasses of champagne.

Handing one to Wilson and one to House, she picked up a third glass and held it aloft with a wicked grin.

"Happy New Year, guys."


  Please post a comment on this story.



Legal Disclaimer: The authors published here make no claims on the ownership of Dr. Gregory House and the other fictional residents of Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital. Like the television show House (and quite possibly Dr. Wilson's pocket protector), they are the property of Fox Television, David Shore and undoubtedly other individuals of whom I am only peripherally aware. The fan fiction authors published here receive no monetary benefit from their work and intend no copyright infringement nor slight to the actual owners. We love the characters and we love the show, otherwise we wouldn't be here.