The House Fan Fiction Archive

 

House in Atlantis


by Belladonna




House looked at his ex, trying to not let his emotions and hormones get in the way. "You have to choose between your husband, or me."

Stacy gazed back at him with those lovely green eyes. "What if I don't choose either of you?" she whispered.

"Then you'll probably be happier," he offered with a wry smile.

*

"Dr. House?"

House looked up from his video game, an eyebrow raised at the man in uniform in front of him.

"What can I do for you, Colonel?"

The slim man in Air Force blues eyed the lounging doctor interestedly. "I'm Colonel Paul Davis, United States Air Force, and there's something I'd like to ask you." Davis glanced through the glass to the trio of doctors in the outer office. "Can I shut the door?"

Diverted from what looked like another boring day, House shrugged. "It's your nickel."

Davis hid a smile, the man reminded him of O'Neill, or maybe McKay. He turned and gave a polite smile to the curious doctors, shutting the door firmly before sitting uninvited in the chair across from House, his uniform cap resting on his lap.

"Dr. Carson Beckett recommended you for a job."

Surprised, House tilted his head, face expressionless as he heard the name of his former lover mention by someone in the military. Hell must have indeed frozen over.

"He recommended ~me~? Was he drugged? Drunk?"

Davis laughed. "No, I believe his exact words were, `Aye, House is a bit of a bastard but he's one o' the top diagnosticians I've ever worked with."

This, done with an excellent imitation of Carson's accent, made House grin. "Aw, he's still pissy. Gotta love the man, but no. One, I'm an addict, and two, I'm quite happy here, and I guarantee the military couldn't afford to pay me in the manner to which I've become accustomed."

Davis shrugged. "We understand about the leg injury, that's not a problem. And as for your pay? Actually, we'd double it."

House whistled soundlessly. "My dad was a Marine pilot, and I know what the officers make. How can you justify that?"

"We wouldn't commission you, your leg would disqualify you anyway. You'd be working as a civilian contractor. It would be for a year, you'd have to sign a non-disclosure agreement and there's a high possibility of danger."

House tapped his fingers together, eyeing the Colonel. Money. Danger. He knew the military, they wouldn't mention the danger part unless it was ~really~ dangerous. He stared into space. It was tempting, despite the disclosure. Ever since Stacy had appeared he'd thought about leaving Plainsboro-Princeton. Hell, he wouldn't miss anyone. Well, except Wilson.

"Do you need an Oncologist?" he asked absently.

Davis shook his head. "No, we have Dr. Carolyn Lam and Dr. Beckett. Between them we're covered for just about anything except your specialty." Dr. Lam had actually asked for House before the Orii hit with their virus. She'd personally bitched to the President that if they'd had House in the beginning they might've developed a solution ~before~ Garak sacrificed himself.

"Wow, Dr. Lam as well. I guess the rumors were right, there is a medical brain drain to the military," House snarked. He had no reason to say no, but he needed time to think. "How long are you here for, Colonel?"

"As long as you need, Dr. House."

Wow again. That meant they really wanted him. "Come by tomorrow afternoon, I'll have my answer then."

Davis stood, watching impassively as House struggled to this feet. He held out his hand and shook House's. "I'll be here. Thank you for your time."

"I've got nothing but time," House said distractedly as the Colonel left. Not a minute later the Ducklings were in his office and asking what was going on.

"Not," he emphasized, "that it's any of your business, but the Colonel and I have a mutual acquaintance. He was bringing his regards."

"A closed door meeting?" Foreman asked, but subsided at his boss's glare. "And it's none of our business."

"Exactly. Go find us a case. Or go to lunch, I don't care," House ordered. They shot glances at each other but obediently trailed out.

In the hallway Wilson heard the trio speculating on what the military guy wanted and he detoured to House's office. He was surprised, his friend was sunk deep in thought and didn't even hear him come in. "Hey," he said quietly.

House looked up, a smile on his face. "Wilson, what's up?"

"The sky. I heard that you had a visitor. Your dad's okay isn't he?"

"Oh yeah, dad and mom are planning a trip to some reunion in Texas or something. No, this was someone making me a job offer," House said.

"Another one? Apparently no one has heard what a cranky bastard you are?" Wilson asked, smirking when House grinned.

"Apparently they have and still took the risk to offer," he replied. He knew his faults and as long as no one tried to change him...

And Wilson knew House. "You're seriously considering it?" his voice rose in shock.

House shrugged. "Double the money for year. Free medical and dental, horrible uniforms but cute nurses. Where's the downside?"

"You'd be working for the military!" Wilson pointed out tartly. "And you wouldn't be here. Wait, ~where~ would you be?"

House blinked. "I didn't ask. Dr. Carolyn Lam is there and so is Dr. Carson Beckett. He's the one who recommended me. From the rumors, I think it's in Colorado."

Wilson sank bonelessly into the chair. He couldn't imagine his life ~without~ House! Who'd he complain to about Julie? "Will you come back?"

The older man looked at his friend. "I'd have to speak to Cuddy, find out if this would be considered guard duty or something. I ~don't~ have enough information, James, but I am interested."

Shit. He already felt like House was moving away from him, cutting ties that he didn't realize he so desperately needed. He couldn't deal with this now. "Let's go get some lunch, I'm buying."

House stood with a grunt. "Don't you always?"

**

He remembered that conversation, and the one he'd had with Stacy, when he walked into Wilson's office the next day and found his ex-girlfriend and his ex-best friend in a clinch that would make an octopus proud. "Well, this wasn't what I expected," he said, clinging to his cane as the breath was literally knocked out of him.

Wilson leapt back, hair in disarray, his shirt unbuttoned, and a look of confusion on his face like he wondered how he'd gotten there. Stacy was busily buttoning her blouse, her face bright red.

"God, House, I don't, I mean, I can exp..." Wilson trailed off as he caught sight of his best friend's face, and saw the devastated look of betrayal before it iced over.

"Well, I was here to see if you wanted lunch, but it looks like you have a date. Oh, and Jimmie, have fun explaining the hickey to your ~wife~. You'll have to excuse me," House snarked and he limped out as quickly as he could.

"Greg!" Stacy was standing in the hallway, and he glanced back at her.

"When you said what if you didn't pick either of us, I didn't realize that you were holding a third choice in reserve. Congratulations," and he left her standing there gaping at him.

*

Cuddy looked up with a scowl as House limped into her office without being asked in. "What do you want? I'm not letting you out of any more clinic duty."

"You're going to have to. I'm running away to join the Air Force. A fax should be coming in soon to notify you of the details. I don't know if this is like guard duty where you'll have to hold my job, but I'm recommending Dr. Billy Carlyle of Johns Hopkins. He's been dying to have a post like mine," House said all of this without taking a breath, and now he stopped to suck in an unsteady one. "Thanks for being so patient with me," he said, and he turned to leave.

Cuddy sat there, stunned, before she leapt to her feet, "House! House, wait! Why? Why are you leaving, and don't tell me it's because you've always wanted to fly an airplane!"

House half smiled at the mild jab. "Because I just found my ex-girlfriend and my ex-best friend making out like teenagers in said ex-best friend's office. And the job will let me work with some of the best and brightest in the field. Kind of a lose, lose, win situation."

"Oh god, I'm sorry," Lisa said softly. "When are you leaving?"

"Immediately. They're sending movers to put my things in storage tomorrow and I'm on a plane on Wednesday," he replied softly.

And just like that, Dr. House, the bane, and if she would admit it, the secret joy of her existence, the one person who she trusted to keep her on her toes, would be gone. Lisa walked up to him, putting a gentle hand to his scruffy face. "Be careful, okay?"

Unwilling to let his emotions go, House only nodded sharply and left the office, leaving a pissed off Cuddy behind.

*

Wilson was getting ready to go find Greg, when Cuddy stormed in like a tornado. "Do you realize what you've done?" she snapped.

"You know?" Wilson looked up in guilty surprise.

"Yes, and I'll tell you how I found out! House came into my office and RESIGNED!" she saw Wilson's head hang and was spitefully satisfied. "He said that the sight of his ex-girlfriend and his `ex'- best friend decided him," Cuddy said sharply.

"Ohgod," James said as he sank into his seat, his head in his hands. "I wasn't thinking."

"At least not with your big head," Cuddy interjected tartly. "I would suspend you but I didn't witness it, thank god. You need to find him and apologize, at the very least. He's going to be gone for a year."

"I will, I'll try to talk him out of it."

She shook her head slowly, a little sadly. "It's too late for that."

**

House was deciding between medical publications to stuff into his suitcase when his front door opened, only one person had a key and he wasn't sure if he could stand to see him. "Go home, Wilson," he called tiredly.

James stepped hesitantly into House's bedroom, heart breaking at the sight of the suitcases already packed. "I'm sorry."

"Everybody lies," he said and thought he caught Wilson's wince out of the corner of his eye.

"I don't know what happened," James continued doggedly. "She came into my office crying, saying she'd filed for divorce and felt like a failure. I hugged her, and the next thing I knew..."

"Ah, the old hug and fall into heavy petting scenario. I thought I only saw that kind of thing on General Hospital."

"House, please," Wilson said quietly.

House straightened up. "Do you want to know why I went to your office? It wasn't strictly for lunch." He didn't look over at his friend. "I was going to tell you that I heard Stacy was getting a divorce, but that I wasn't staying for her." Now he looked over at James, who was pale as a ghost. "I was staying for you. But never mind."

"I'm sorry," Wilson whispered wretchedly.

"Go home to your wife, Jimmy," House said sharply. Not moving until he heard the front door shut, tearing his heart in two.

**

House thought of that conversation as he endured the flight to Colorado Springs. God, he hated to see that look of shame in his friend's eyes, but he couldn't forget what he'd seen. He supposed it was a good thing that Wilson didn't know how he had really felt about him.

**

Tall man with a limp. That was easy, Daniel thought as the man came toward him. "Dr. House?"

Greg smiled painfully. He needed drugs and to stretch out, and soon. "Yeah, I'm Greg House."

"Hi, I'm Dr. Daniel Jackson, not a medical doctor, but I'm your assigned chauffeur."

"Pleased to meet you, but can we get out of here? I neglected to get a refill of my meds and I'm about to go timber." In normal circumstances he would never let the opponent see him sweat, but he was in so much pain that at that point he would have sold his soul to the devil for some relief.

Daniel looked him over and could see the deeply grooved lines of pain around the mouth and eyes. "Sure, I've got a staff car right outside."

The drive to the mountain was long, but relatively scenic, Dr. Jackson's constant commentary a nice background sound to House's state of pain. The signing in and getting visitor badge, then the eternal elevator ride down almost exhausted all of his reserves, so much so that he didn't bitch about the arrival of a wheelchair, only settled himself in it with a harsh grunt.

Carolyn glanced up to see Daniel wheel in her newest co-worker, and patient it looked like. "Dr. House, how good to see you again!"

He smiled wanly. "Dr. Lam, lovely as ever. I don't suppose you have any good drugs on you?"

She nodded. "I understand that you take Vicodin?" she rustled around and got a needle ready. "How much?"

He told her and was almost giddy when she finally injected it into the leg. "Thank you," he whispered as his body started to slowly unknot.

"We'll have to look at the leg and see what we can do. At the very least we can have you off of any painkillers," she said sympathetically as she checked his blood pressure.

"There have been some medical miracles that I'm unaware of?" he quipped as the shot began to work.

She smiled mysteriously and glanced over at Daniel who was watching. "Has he had the spiel from dad, yet?"

Daniel shook his head, his blue eyes dancing. "General Landry said tomorrow. I'm going to get Dr. House settled into guest quarters first, then if he's able, drag him to the cafeteria."

"Call me Greg, and once the meds kick in I'll be dancing in the street. Well, with my cane anyway," House said with wry humor.

The cafeteria was exactly like a hundred others he'd eaten in with his father when he was a kid. He even saw Marines, which made him smile, and reminded him to let his parents know that he'd moved. He took his tray, relieved that Daniel wasn't babying him, and moved to the table where the archeologist had settled.

"So, you seem comfortable," Daniel indicated the room filled with men and women in uniform.

"Oh, I'm a Marine brat. I grew up on twenty bases around the world," House said as he took a bite of what was billed as spaghetti with marinara sauce. A little institutional tasting, but not bad over all.

Daniel nodded. "That will make it easier for you here. You'll get to know everyone pretty well before Carson comes for you."

House froze, fork halfway to his mouth. "Comes for me? He's not here?"

"Not strictly, no. But you'll get your entire briefing tomorrow." Daniel leaned forward and asked conspiratorially, "Doesn't the spaghetti suck?"

"It's not so bad. Better than hospital food," House replied philosophically, his mind still chewing over the fact that Carson wasn't on base. Where was he?

Daniel snickered. "Yeah. Oh, hey. Before I forget, you need to complete all of your legal documents, naming next of kin and all of that. Just in case."

"Huh, this is where the danger that Colonel Davis mentioned, comes in?"

"Yep."

House sighed. "Gotcha."

**

The next day House was meditating on what he and a handful of other scientists and specialists had just been told about the mission of the SGC, and his new duty station of Atlantis. Talk about everybody lying, the government was perpetrating the biggest lie of all. Aliens. Other planets. Hell, other galaxies, if you figured in where Carson was dragging him to.

"So, astonished and amazed?" Daniel asked, amused at the stunned expression on Greg's face.

House raised an eyebrow. "You could say that. It's a lot to take in, you know."

Daniel nodded. "I've been here 10 years and it's still new and scary to me. Then I eat and take it one day at a time."

"Ah yes, the food panacea," House smirked.

"Yep. Oh, Dr. Lam wants me to drag you to the infirmary. One of our allies has stopped in and she thinks they can help with your leg."

House grabbed his cane and stood. "I'm very interested, not just in fixing my leg, but in the new tech that's been introduced here. God, a machine that can revive the dead? That it makes you evil is an unfortunate side effect, but the technology must be outstanding!"

Daniel laughed wryly. "Oh yeah, we've had some pretty amazing medical advances. I think Carolyn said we're two to five years behind in introducing them to the outside world. It's hard to scrub the," he held up his fingers in quotes, "`alien-ness' out of the `studies', if you know what I mean."

"I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to know you have a possible cure, and can't go public because the world would flip its lid," House said seriously as they turned into the infirmary.

Carolyn looked over at them from where she, a man and a large busted, Xena wannabe stood looking at some x-rays. "Greg, I've got some people I'd like you to meet! Anise, Malek, this is our newest Doctor, Gregory House. Greg, these are our allies from the Tok'ra."

House's head swam with the knowledge that here were two `aliens', or more accurately `four', if you included the parasites wrapped around their spinal cords and brains. "I'm pleased to meet you all," he said graciously.

Anise was curious. Dr. Lam had praised this man, a crippled human at that, saying he was one of the most brilliant doctors of their time. "Thank you. Malek and I have been looking over the visual records of your leg. We agree that while we cannot rebuild all of the muscle, we can improve what remains behind so that you will not need to rely on medication and your walking implement."

House nodded. "I would be grateful for anything that you can do. Just to be pain free would be a gift." He inwardly smiled, his friends would never recognize the politeness. He'd certainly never been accused of `playing well with others'.

On the hospital bed, stripped down to a hospital gown, House shivered slightly. From cold and from he was embarrassed to admit, nerves. Well, until Anise bent over to check something and her abundant cleavage was in his face. "Wow, I would never have believed it, but yours are better than Cuddy's," he quipped.

The Tok'ra merely looked confused, while Carolyn rolled her eyes. "Still admiring the women for their attributes instead of their brains, Dr. House?"

Greg grinned. "Have to be true to myself."

Anise looked confused, then her eyes cleared. "You admire my breasts. Are you interested in a sexual relationship?"

Carolyn coughed, and General Landry's eyebrows disappeared into his hairline as he entered the room. "I must have missed something," he said drolly.

Greg had never been ashamed of his honest appreciation of breasts, but even he was a little taken aback by her frankness. "No, but thank you for the offer, Anise. I'm still suffering from a broken heart."

"I thought it was your leg that was injured," Malek asked with a frown.

Landry chuckled and caught House's amused look. "Malek, a broken heart is a metaphor for having someone you love hurt you."

The Tok'ra nodded. "I understand. My condolences," he bowed his head to House.

Both Carolyn and her father saw the flash of pain in House's eyes that he tried to hide before he smiled. "I'll live."

"Are you ready to begin?" Anise slipped on the healing device, and Carolyn went monitor House's vitals.

There was an uncomfortable amount of heat and pressure on his leg as it was moved up and down the damaged area. To distract himself, he looked up at Carolyn, "So, are you still married?"

"No," the General answered for his daughter. "Thank god."

"Dad, stop," Carolyn complained, not glancing up from her study of the monitors..

"What? He was a putz," Landry protested.

House snickered. "I remember meeting him at a conference. Steven Lam, right? Cardiologist? Pompous jackass, so full of himself that I'm surprised he looked away from the mirror long enough to notice your beauty."

The General snorted, but put on an innocent face when his daughter glared.

"We had a difference of opinion, and the fact that he got a lab assistant pregnant," Carolyn said with a shrug.

"Definitely a putz. Did you castrate him?" House asked brightly, manfully suppressing a wince as the heat became almost unbearable.

Carolyn rolled her eyes. "No, but not because I didn't want to," she replied with a slight smile, ignoring her smirking father.

"How are you feeling?" Anise asked, powering the hand device down, her forehead beaded with sweat.

House blinked and with Carolyn's help, sat up to stare at his leg. "Okay, I wasn't a believer before, but I am now. I can see where the poor unwashed masses thought you guys were gods."

"We never thought we were gods," Malek spat, eyes flashing.

"You are the same species as the goa'uld, aren't you? I was speaking in general, not accusing you or your symbiotes personally," House pointed out. "Even doctors are guilty of the same type of behavior. They heal someone using their education and technology available to them, and then accept the adulation of the patient and family as if they were gods. It's not ethical, but then humanity's overrated," he shrugged.

General Landry coughed to hide his snort of laughter. Carolyn walked by her father and smacked him, which made House smirk.

"Thank you for helping me. I don't think I had many more years left, quite frankly," House said as he swung both of his legs over and touched the floor. It was a shock to feel no pain as he put his weight fully and equally down.

"You are most welcome. Any organs damaged by your use of medications have been healed as well," Anise said as an afterthought.

"You're still going to have some physical therapy," Carolyn reminded him as she checked him over.

"Oh joy," he replied, still feeling out his leg.

General Landry smiled. "Well, one miracle down, a million more to go. Malek, Anise, thank you for your willingness to come and help us. Let me escort you to the gateroom."

Both Tok'ra bowed, Anise smiling invitingly at House. "I would like to meet again, Dr. House. Your ideas on Earth behaviors are most intriguing." She left before House could form a coherent response to the obvious come on.

Carolyn snickered. "General O'Neill warned me about her," she said to him as she pulled the curtain around so he could get dressed. "It's why Dr. Jackson wasn't around. Apparently Anise liked the General, and her symbiote liked the good Doctor."

House pulled up his new b.d.u. pants, and laughed. "And I thought the nurses at PPH were barracudas," he stopped for a beat, "but she's impressive."

"Is she gone?" Daniel peered around the corner, and made a face as both Carolyn and House laughed at him.

**

Wilson came into his office, his heart not really in his work anymore. He missed Greg. He missed his irreverent humor, his hostility to anything resembling what society called normal behaviour. Hell, he missed House. It was that simple. He sat down and thumbed through his mail when a large official Government envelope caught his eye. He slid his thumb under the flap and opened it, his hands shaking though he didn't know why. Inside were several legal sized papers stapled together, and a letter with Greg's handwriting.

`Dear Jimmy,

The Air Force has decided, in its infinite wisdom,(hear the mockery?) that I need a next of kin. After much thought, nah, it was actually pretty easy, I chose you. It's the regular stuff, if I die, you handle my estate, and all of that. I'd rather you than my folks. You know what I mean.'

Wilson let the letter fall to his lap, trying not to hyperventilate with panic. Just in case Greg DIED? Just how dangerous was this job? He picked up the page and continued to read...

`I know, it's kind of weird after how we left things. Time and distance and all that. It's just, you've been my best friend for so long, it's hard not to keep thinking of you like that. And I might miss you. And that's all the nice stuff I'm going to say.

It's amazing here, I can't say much due to censors, but the lab here is a dream. Well, that's all I have.

Greg'

"Damn it Greg," Wilson said softly. He picked up all of the paperwork and stuffed it back into the envelope without reading it, putting it into his desk drawer. Then he grabbed a pad of paper and a pen and started writing.

**

House was kicked back in a chair, reading the medical files of the past ten years of the SGC, his legs pleasantly aching from the three mile run he'd completed when his door bounced open.

"Hey Greg, come with me. You'll want to see this," Daniel said, his voice excited.

Greg was mystified but followed the archeologist obediently. Half an hour later he knew he was being a clich, but watching the people materializing in the gateroom, well, General Hospital never had anything as cool as this. Then he recognized someone he knew.

Carson shook himself as he realized he'd been rematerialized when a sixth sense made him glance up at the control room, and he couldn't help smile. House.

They'd met when Carson had done some of his residency in America and they'd hit it off immediately, with House finagling, in his heavy handed way, to get them an apartment together. Renting an apartment together soon segued into them discovering that they dated both sexes, which led into them becoming lovers. Their relationship died a natural death as they moved on to new residency's but they'd stayed friends over the years, with House occasionally flying to Scotland to stay with Carson and his mum, though the last time had been before the infarction.

"Carson, how are you, you crazy Scot?" House said when they caught up with each other in the passageways.

Carson grinned and wrapped his old friend in a bear hug. "I dinna think you'd accept! How do ye think I feel?" He stepped back and eyed House critically, which meant like a doctor, making the taller man squirm. "Ye look grand. I assume your leg has been fixed?"

"It's been amazing, Car," House said as he dragged his friend out of the mass of people and into somewhere quiet. "I want to thank you for suggesting me. It would've been worth it just to see you," he shook his head, "but to be able to walk without pain again?"

"Good," Carson patted his friend. "Let me get situated, I've things to show Carolyn and then we'll talk."

They ended up in the cafeteria, talking about medical issues, former colleagues and odd patients, House's dry and nasty wit sending Carson into gales of laughter that attracted attention.

"Ohgod," Carson gasped. "You didna tell him that?"

House shrugged, a sly grin on his face. "Hey, c'mon. He was orange! How could his ~wife~ not notice unless she was having an affair? I mean, geez!"

"Well, I'm glad to see someone is enjoying being back on Earth," snarked a stocky man in blue as he sat down beside Carson.

Carson rolled his eyes. "Greg, I'd like ye to meet a friend of mine, Dr. Rodney McKay. Rodney, this is the new doctor joining us in Atlantis, Greg House."

"Oh good, someone else to do voodoo over us poor unfortunates," Rodney replied, though it was somewhat muffled because his mouth was full.

"I sacrifice kittens and worship the full moon," House retorted straight faced, "I believe that's Wiccan, not voodoo."

There was a choking noise, and Carson wiped his eyes with his napkin, "Good god, I canna believe you, Greg! I almost snorted my tea!"

Rodney, after one incredulous minute of goggling, laughed and continued to eat. "I like cats."

"Me too," House grimaced at the bite of noodle something he'd just taken. "They don't lie."

Carson rolled his eyes. "Just lovely, two of the most jaded men in the universe are bonding," he complained. Actually, he was kind of tickled. He had been attracted to Rodney because of Greg, and the fact that he'd get to work with both men was icing on his teacake.

Rodney talked almost as fast as he ate, his snarky comments fielded by House's equally nasty ones, making Carson laugh and choke more than once.

Carson's obvious affection for the socially retarded physicist gave House food for thought and he raised his eyebrows and jerked his head in the oblivious Rodney's direction, asking a silent question. Carson smiled and shrugged. Once Rodney had wolfed down his meal and departed, House rounded on his old friend.

"So, Rodney?"

"He's straight," Carson said matter of factly.

"Hmmm," House said doubtfully. He'd seen the shy delight that Rodney had shown Carson and thought Carson was woefully underestimating the depth of feeling there.

*

House walked up the pier, eyes wide as he tried to take in the city of Atlantis. Surrounded by ocean and the sunlight bouncing off of the alien buildings, it was an impressive sight.

"It's about time you guys got home!" A cheerful voice called, making both Rodney and Carson smile. House watched as a handsome man, as tall as he with an unruly mop of dark hair and sharp hazel eyes approached them.

"I see the city's still standing! I assume there were no dire emergencies while I was gone?" Rodney asked.

"One small explosion, but Zelenka fixed it and no, don't ask me the details," John said patiently when Rodney opened his mouth to fire questions. "He told me that if you'd been here it would've been much worse."

"Oh really? I think Radek and I need to chat about his supposed sense of humor," Rodney sniped.

Carson grinned at the familiar bickering. "Colonel Sheppard, this is our new doctor, Greg House. Greg, this is our military commander, Colonel John Sheppard."

The two men shook hands, eyeing each other curiously. "Good to meet you, doc. Carson had been hoping that you'd say yes," Sheppard said with a smile.

"How could I resist, money, danger and the promise of alien women falling at my feet," House replied with a grin.

Rodney snorted. "Ha ha. The alien women are Sheppard's. Don't forget, House, I need you to stop by my lab and touch things," he said absently as he dug through his bag for something.

There was a brief silence then House smiled wickedly. "What if I get germs? Who knows ~where~ those things have been?"

Sheppard laughed and Carson shook his head and chuckled while Rodney only rolled his eyes. "Yes, yes, you're a riot. I need to test you for the ancient gene."

"Why don't you just have him open the door," John asked, waving his hand at the door in front of them.

Rodney turned to look at Greg. "Okay, open the door."

Greg's eyes narrowed and he shrugged. "Open sesame," he said and the door whooshed open.

"I knew it!" Carson crowed. "I told ya, Rodney. I believe you owe me a bag of chocolate!"

"Fine, you were right and I was wrong, and you'll get your chocolate when I find where I stashed it," the Physicist said grumpily.

"It's not all bad, Rodney. You've got another guinea pig to play with," Sheppard said, a twinkle in his eye.

**@@@@**////////

Greg was settling in well. The work was challenging but one of the side effects of being in another galaxy was not seeing the one that you love on a regular basis, which truly sucked.

"House," a familiar voice called and he glanced over his shoulder to see Sheppard and three Marines coming up behind him, taking the same scenic running route along the piers of Atlantis.

"Hey John, you're infested with green parasites," he teased. The Marines rolled their eyes as they pounded past.

"Oh hey, they're gone! It's a miracle!"

John chuckled as they continued their run. "How are ya doing?" he asked Greg after a bit.

Greg pondered the question as they ran. "Well, it's been amazing. I've always known that Carson was a genius, but working with him has proved it," he said sincerely. "On the negative side, Teyla's gonna kick my ass if I leer at her breasts again."

"I'll sell the tickets," the Major offered with a grin.

"Oh goody," House said with an exaggerated eye roll. "Have people come to watch while a girl thrashes me. My idea of a good time."

"I'll give you half," John offered slyly.

"Like money is going to do me any good here. Well, I guess I could leave it to Wilson. As some kind of trust or something, since he has three ex-wives."

John blinked. "~Three~ ex-wives? He hasn't figured out what he's doing wrong?"

"Oh, everyone knows. He can't keep it in his pants, but there's always some lovely girl who thinks she can change him. I'm a guy and I can see his faults, you'd think the women could figure it out without a diagram."

There was silence then John shook his head, "Okay, that's depressing. So, the Daedalus is going to get here tomorrow. Did you order something special?"

"Well," House drawled, "I asked for two twenty year old blondes, but realized I'm not wired for 220."

"Ohgod," John groaned. "That's so old my grandpa told it to me."

**

The next day House lay down on his bunk and riffled through his first batch of letters. It took a long time for mail to travel from one universe to another, go figure, he thought, tossing the junk mail, including one from Stacy, before he happened on the one from Wilson. His fingers trembled and his heart pounded as he carefully opened it.

`Dear Greg,

I'm honored to be considered your next of kin. And, god forbid, if something happens I'll make sure your parents don't have a thing to worry about.

Believe it or not, you are missed here. The Duckling's are positively lost with you, and Dr. Carlyle is not as good as you, but he's holding his own. Cameron is being entirely predicable and getting too involved with her patients, Foreman is dating Dr. Marcus from radiology, and Chase is actually settling down and making some brilliant diagnosis. You've trained them well.

Your parents and mine are doing well. Your Mom said that the reunion in Texas was a lot of fun and said you'd remember a lot of the people they saw there. My parents are the same as always, busy with work and their charities.

I'm only going to say this once, because I hope you've forgiven me by now. I'm sorry. Since you've been gone I've had a chance to really take a long hard look at my life and I've discovered that I don't like what I see. I may be a good doctor, but I'm a lousy human being.'

"Ohgod, no Jimmy, you're not," House whispered through a tight throat.

`Epiphanies are something I probably should leave to Chase,' the letter continued, `but I realized that I was being self destructive. Would you believe that I called my ex's and apologized for being such a bastard? I was surprised by how nice they all were about it, (Well, except Julie) Speaking of Julie, I've filed for divorce-don't roll your eyes at me. Anyway, right now I'm concentrating on work. You owe me by the way, I've had several patients thank me but I'll let it go until you come back.

You are coming back, right? I miss you, Greg. A lot.

Sincerely, James Wilson'

Greg blinked back tears which he blamed on dust, before he carefully folded up the letter and got out pen and paper to start his own to Wilson.

~*

He'd been in Atlantis for 6 months already, and he was seriously considering on staying after his agreed upon year. The bio-engineering of the Wraith Retro-virus was at the point that they needed a test subject, and he was armed for the meeting knowing Carson would be the one he'd have to convince.

"They're not some kind of giant mouse that talks and wears pants, Carson," House said with exasperation. "You're anthropomorphizing them."

Carson was about to snap back at him when Elizabeth held up her hands. "Greg, will it work?"

House shrugged. "Between the data on Carson's research and my own I'd say it has a 85.985 percent rate of success."

"I don't feel that we should experiment on a sentient being," Carson began doggedly but stopped when House sprang out of his seat and went to stand behind Teyla.

"Do you know this lovely woman?" House asked facetiously. "Her name is Teyla Emmagen and she's been experimented on by the..." he raised a hand to his ear and tilted his head as if he were listening to someone, "Who? I can't hear you!"

Rodney smirked and Sheppard covered a laugh with a not so well disguised cough, earning a dirty look from the good Doctor.

"Greg, don't be daft," Carson said with an exasperated eyeroll. "Yes, the Wraith experimented on Teyla and her father. I see where you're going with this, I do." He knew the Wraith had experimented on humans to make them more compatible for feeding. And he knew intellectually that they were the enemy...

House nodded, satisfied with the look in Carson's eyes and he patted Teyla on the shoulder and sat back down in his seat. "Just don't trip over your Hippocratic oath, Highlander."

"Don't call me that," Carson snapped with exasperated affection.

Sheppard sat back in this seat and looked over at Ronon, then at Teyla who nodded. "So, you need a Wraith to experiment on? We can do that."

~*~

Wilson dropped the rest of his mail onto his desk and eagerly ripped open the letter from House.

"Dear James,

Huh, sounds like a `Dear John', doesn't it? Except we're not dating. Just kidding.

So, how are your folks? Speaking of, my parents wrote and told me that you've called them at least once a month and have generally been there for them. Thanks.

Life here is busy. Classified busy. Hmm, I think this might be a short letter.

I'm doing great. My leg is doing really well, too. (Does that sound like a split personality disorder to you?) And you'd be proud of me on the self medicating front.

By the way, I forgave you a long time ago, so quit harping on it. Okay? By the way, about Julie? I told you so. Hah.

Well, leer at Cuddy's chest for me and goose the Ducklings. (makes the children's game sound perverted, doesn't it?)

Your friend, Greg House"

Wilson laughed. Only Greg could turn a children's game into something dirty. And he was forgiven, that in itself was the best news he'd heard all day. He glanced at the clock and checked when his next appointment was, then pulled out a legal pad and started writing his response to House. As he began, the first sentence of Greg's letter came back to him, and he realized that for all intents and purposes he and House ~had~ been dating all of those months before and after his divorce with Julie. And suddenly a light turned on, and the teasing reference to their ~not dating~ took on a whole new meaning when put in context with House's reaction to catching Stacy and him.

~*~

"You are certifiably insane, woman!" House shouted. "And yet you're a psychiatrist! Isn't that a conflict of interest?"

Kate Heightmeyer gave House a fulminating glare. "I believe it's worth the effort. He's at a point where my talking to him now will reinforce his humanity, Dr.House!"

House shook his head. "It's bad enough that you people named it, but you all are forgetting something," he said caustically. "We changed the outside, not the inside. `Michael' is still a monster," he finished with a sarcastic snap.

Carson stood, face pale. "How can you say that?"

Turning to his friend, House glared at him. "You do know he's been having nightmares, right? That he's a Wraith! Oh wait, he's right! And no amount of psychobabble is going to change the fact."

Elizabeth held up her hands. "Everyone calm down!" she ordered. "Please sit down."

House glared at the white faced Carson before he flopped down into his seat. He totally ignored Dr. Heightmeyer because in his book, she was an idiot.

"I'm going to have to agree with Dr. House," Teyla said apologetically. "I can sense him even more as it gets closer to his time for injections."

John opened his mouth, then sighed. "Is he a danger to Atlantis?"

Carson's `No!' and House's `Yes', virtually crossed in the air. Ronon snorted. He absolutely agreed with Dr. House, but he'd already put forth his proposal to kill the Wraith, and Dr. Weir had vetoed it.

Now Elizabeth sighed. "Not that I'm discrediting your work, Kate," she began apologetically, "but I have the rest of Atlantis to watch over. I need a solution, people."

"Wait," John said before Carson began to spout his science babble. "If we stop giving him injections how fast will he revert back to being a Wraith?"

House looked at Carson, and waved his hand. "Go ahead."

The geneticist had an uncomfortable look. "Because he is basically a Wraith the transition back will be verra quick," he said, his emotional state making his accent thick.

There was silence and House sat up. "We know that we're on the right track. I think..." but he never finished his sentence because alarms started going off. Michael had escaped.

A package from Wilson arrived on the heels of the whole Michael fiasco, soothing Greg's ragged edges.

"Dear Greg,

I'm happy that you are doing so well! I'm also glad to hear that you're not taking so many drugs, your internal organs thank you.

House snorted a laugh.

So, to the gossip- Cameron is dating Chase! Apparently they've been having a hot affair even while you were here, but now they're doing the dating thing. I'm encouraging them to get to know each other and not do what I did. Three times. Why didn't you tell me I was being an ass? You tell everyone else your opinion. Huh, I think I'll blame you for my failed marriages. Thanks a lot, Greg.

This made Greg laugh out loud. He'd let Jimmy know what he thought of his various brides, but only after he'd married them. He'd hoped for Wilson's sake that one of the women would be good for him, even if it had torn him up personally.

I'm doing very well. Not dating, too busy for that. Cuddy assigned the cancer fundraiser to me. I'm a little nervous, but with three weddings under my belt, and my mother's experience, (hell, I may call ~your~ mother, too) I think we can have a great event. If I don't decide to runaway to Mexico.

I'm including things that have come into my office, letters, reviews, journals and such. And some tapes that might interest you, and no, they are NOT porn.

Our parents are doing well. My mother fell and bruised her hip but it wasn't serious and she's on the mend.

About the fundraiser, Andie said she wanted to see you. She's lived longer than any of us have expected, thanks to you, Greg.

Come home. I miss you.

James Wilson

PS-I'm not against dating but you need to pay once in awhile.

The postscript made House chuckle. He refolded the letter and smiled before diving into the journals, laughing when he saw the LaPresseMedical from France and one from Portugal as well. The tapes took a bit longer to view, he and Carson were refining the retrovirus and when he finally started them he couldn't stop grinning like an idiot.

Jimmy had recorded General Hospital. Oh the man knew him well.

~**

Carson rolled over, facing Greg. "I hate what happened. I hated fighting with you," he said miserably. They had started sleeping together again, for more friendship and comfort than anything.

Greg touched his lover's cheek gently. "You were right, and I was wrong. And I'll deny that I said that `til the day I die."

Leaning up on his elbow, Carson frowned thoughtfully. "Explain."

Lying on his back Greg looked up at the ceiling. "You changed him somehow. Whether it was the retrovirus, or your conversations with him, you changed him." He looked at Carson seriously. "A Wraith, the very definition of a soulless vampire out of Buffy, was anguished over his killing Sgt. Cole. From everything I've read and from everything I've gleaned from Sheppard and Ronon, the Wraith are never sorry about feeding. Ever."

"I dinna do anything different," Carson protested.

House put his hand behind Carson's neck and pulled him down for an affectionate kiss. "Exactly, my friend. You were yourself, a compassionate man and you changed a Wraith at a very basic level. You're our secret weapon."

Carson stared, then rolled his eyes. "Don't be daft, man."

~*

Frazzled by the million and one questions that he had to decide for the benefit, Wilson ducked into his office to hide. He made sure the blinds were shut and gave a huge sigh of relief before he went through the pile of mail he'd been neglecting. He quickly separated into piles, journals, drug rep requests, and dropped everything else when he found the envelope from Greg. He eagerly ripped it open and unfolded the yellow sheet of paper.

"Dear Jimmy,

Thanks for all of the journals etc. They've already made the rounds here, and were very much appreciated.

I can't believe you told Cuddy yes! I would've thought I'd taught you better than that. NEVER volunteer. You've lost your ability to hide and blend into the wood work, haven't you?

Also, thanks for the GH tapes! I cannot believe that Jason slept with that slut! Or maybe I can, she has fake boobs to die for. This also has made the rounds, apparently there are a lot of losers here who also watch. There's a Buffy fanclub here, to which I belong of course, though making it to all of the meetings is kind of tough.

Wilson chuckled to himself. House being social, must be an alternate universe.

Tell your Mom that I need her tobe more careful. Who is going to nag us to eat right? Heck, who is going to make me latke's?

This made Wilson smile fondly. His mother loved House and constantly sent food home with him to share with the `too skinny doctor friend of yours'. It used to make Julie crazy.

We've had some success, and some setbacks. We're trying some new things and it looks like I may stay past the contracted year. How much longer? No idea. Don't expect many more letters for awhile.

Longer? Horrible disappointment settled into Wilson's heart. Once he'd figured out that some of his mixed feeling about his wives had been a direct result of mixed feelings for his best friend...

Tell Andie that she needs to get taller before she can dance with me.

Don't tell anyone, but I miss you too. And if we date I promise to pay, once in a blue moon.

Greg.

Wilson savored that last bit until Cuddy slammed his door open and stood glaring, hands on her hips.

"You hid in your ~office~?" she demanded incredulously.

Suddenly he had to smile. "Yeah, House would be disappointed, wouldn't he?"

Cuddy rolled her eyes. "Get your butt back to my office so we can finish some of the details so I can cut a check for the caterer, alright?"

Sighing, Wilson got to his feet. "Fine, but I don't want to talk to another caterer as long as I live."

"Don't get married again," Cuddy replied tartly.

Thinking about House, James shook his head. "Don't worry, I've had enough humiliation, thank you very much."

"Hmm. And how is House?"

And Wilson laughed.

~*

After a week of nonstop lab work Greg and Carson were sound asleep when Carson's door slid open and Rodney swept in, his mouth already moving a mile a minute.

"Car, Rodney's here," House mumbled, rolling over and covering his eyes with his arm.

There was a moment of shocked silence then, "You're gay?" Rodney squeaked as Carson sat up and rubbed his eyes.

"No, I believe the term is bi, and Rodney, why are ye here in my room at this ungodly hour?" Carson asked crankily.

"Um," Rodney was still speechless when House rolled out of the bed. Luckily for Rodney Carson and House were still in their boxers, though Rodney had a feeling it would not have bothered the tall doctor very much if he had been naked. Son of a bitch.

"I'm going back to my quarters, Car," House said with a quick smile. "You two need to talk and I need a couple of more hours of sleep," he finished, pulling on a t-shirt and some sweatpants.

Carson smiled back. "I'll see ye in the lab, Greg," he said.

Rodney scowled at House until the door closed then turned and stared at his friend. "Did I know? No, there was Cadman, of course I didn't. How did I not know?"

"Does it matter?" Carson asked, honestly curious as to why Rodney was so...jealous?

"No!" Rodney said indignantly. "If I had known I would've asked you first, obviously. I mean, I've known you longer than anyone here and I think I have first dibs."

"Ask me if I was gay?" Carson was confused.

Rodney rolled his eyes and sat down on the bed. "Asked you on a date, dolt." He leaned over and kissed Carson gently, humming happily when the Doctor unthawed and leaned into the kiss just as fervently. Then he leaned back, "You and House aren't serious, right?" he frowned.

Carson shook his head bemusedly. "No, we're just friends with benefits as the Yanks call it."

"Excellent," Rodney said, stealing another kiss before standing up. "By the way, Sheppard is taking Teyla over to the mainland and wanted to know if you were going. I'll tell him you're going to be busy in the lab."

As the door opened, Carson held up a hand. "Wait, what are you doing tonight?"

Rodney gave him a look that said, `Are you serious?' "I thought we'd eat together and see what happens."

Of course, Rodney already had it all planned out, Carson thought with some humor, but he only smiled. "I'll see you this evening, then."

When the door slid shut Carson collapsed back onto his bed, a huge smile on his face.

When House saw Carson he shook his head. "You need to get that goofy smile off of your face, Car, or people will think you're sampling your own drugs."

"Bugger off," Carson said in a friendly tone and he put up with Greg's knowing smirk. Damn the man, he was as bad as Rodney when it came to always being right.

~*

House flipped through the mail he'd received even as he was starting to pack. A letter with Wilson's handwriting surprised him and he sat down on the bed to open it.

"Dear Greg,

I want to pull my hair out. I never realized what it took to plan an event like this! I wish you were here to scowl at the caterer. She's an energy vampire, seriously. I look at her and feel my backbone dissolve, thank God for Cuddy.

Right now I'm hiding in the Nurse's supply closet just to get some peace, and finish this letter to you. How's that for a metaphor, hiding in the closet writing to my best friend.

I have finally figured out why my marriages all failed, and though I may have joked that it was your fault before, it was my fault not knowing who I was and who I cared more for.'

Greg couldn't stop the spurt of hope and was almost afraid to finish the letter in case he was wrong.

`Susan, (wife number two in case you've forgotten) was sure that I always chose you over her. And we both know what Julie used to say.'

House snorted. Julie had, in one of her fits of guilty `I've been cheating so I'm yelling at you' rage, accused him and Wilson of having an affair. He wished.

`So I'll come out and say it. I'm not averse to actually dating when you come home, and everything that comes with it. (and no, that wasn't a Freudian slip, pervert)'

The snide remark made him chuckle.

`I'm waiting impatiently for you to come home so don't do anything stupid, Greg.

James Wilson'

House now he had something to look forward to when he arrived home.

~*~

Wilson checked over the arrangement of tables and chairs, tweaking an errant table cloth into place while he kept a careful eye on the white jacketed waiters. The Hallowe'en theme was inspired, no costumes but the dcor done in pumpkin orange and black, with large fuzzy spiders and hanging bats. The piece de resistance was the ghost displays, all humorous in deference to the children attending. Some were just static displays in the corners, and others were waiters costumed for the part.

"It looks wonderful," a woman's voice said and he turned to smile at Andie and her mother.

"Thank you. You both look lovely," Wilson said sincerely. Both were wearing matching dresses, and Andie had a cute hat with a cat pin attached. He gave her a professional glance, she was pale but had excited color in her cheeks and a spark in her eye. "And you look good, kiddo."

"Thanks," the young girl said with a smile. "Where's House?"

The pang in the heart didn't show in his smile. "He's still working with the Air Force. Hopefully he'll be home soon." After chatting a bit more he made his rounds and grabbed a glass of bourbon, moving to an unoccupied corner to observe the festivities.

Cuddy came up, lovely in a pale peach gown with a lot of cleavage enhanced by what looked like real diamonds. "Dr. Wilson, you're a success. Don't be surprised if more people ask you to plan their events."

Wilson shuddered. "God forbid."

She laughed and patted his arm, eyeing the patrons with an avaricious gleam in her eye. "I've got to mingle, don't forget to do the same."

The sounds of `The Hokey Pokey' started and Wilson sighed as an evilly grinning Chase and Foreman headed towards him. "I really miss House," he complained, ignoring Cuddy's laughter as he was shanghaid to perform the dance.

House stood in his penguin suit, hands in his pockets as he watched the people in the ballroom. James had done a great job and it looked like people were really enjoying themselves. He glanced around and caught sight of the burnished brunet head as it was thrown back, laughing at something that, yep, that was Chase, had said.

His eyes were greedy, never leaving the man he'd dreamed of for fourteen long months. Wilson played the host, the honest contentment in his face doing more with the crowd of both donor's and bald headed kids than Cuddy's cleavage ever could. There was something different about Dr. James Wilson, something more relaxed, like he'd finally gotten comfortable in his own skin.

Cuddy suddenly caught sight of him and the delight in her face actually made him blush slightly. He gave a slight wave and headed steadily into the ballroom under his own steam, a fact that didn't escape his old boss. As he walked he saw her catch Wilson's arm and bring his friend's attention to the interloper, and fell in love all over again at the love and excitement he saw on James' handsome face.

Wilson was a bit startled and looked at Cuddy when she grabbed his arm suddenly. "Look!" she said and he turned and his heart stopped then almost burst from his chest.

House.

"Wow, look! House is walking without a cane," Cameron said, though her voice was a faint noise to Wilson because all he could see was Greg's bright blue eyes, filled with boyish delight at his dual surprise and an unmistakable love.

"Hey, I'm home," House said jovially but Wilson was having none of that. He handed his drink off to...someone, and went right over and hugged Greg tightly.

"You son of a bitch. You're finally home," he said, muffled in House's shoulder.

House put his arms around Wilson and nodded and James could feel the heart inside of his friend thudding as hard as his own. "Yeah, I'm home," Greg said hoarsely, the taller man's smooth shaven cheek against his own.

Hose and Wilson never strayed very far from each other the rest of the evening. House answered questions from the others about his leg, something about ketamine which Wilson wasn't buying for a minute, and he did his rounds as host for the benefit, making the Oncology Department millions of dollars.

House was taking a mouthful of scotch, his eyes following Wilson when a little girl stepped in front of him. "Aren't you supposed to be dead already?" he demanded, ignoring the outraged gasp from Cameron down the table.

Andie smiled widely, not offended. "Sorry to disappoint you, Dr. House. And you owe me a dance."

Hiding a grin, House stood up and gestured for her to head to the dance floor. "Well, come on then. Let's get this over with before you keel over or something."

Wilson was speaking with one of his older colleagues in Oncology when the man stopped and grinned.

"Okay, now I know hell has frozen over," the doctor said. "Look behind you."

James turned and had to blink the sting of unexpected tears from his eyes. There was House, twirling Andie around the dance floor, her laugh as clear as a bell. And from where he was standing it was two miracles that danced out there. Greg House, back where he belonged, whole and well. And Andie, the little girl who by all rights should have been dead and buried for a year, but was still fighting the good fight and keeping Death at bay.

"He looks pretty good. Healthier than I've seen him in a long time," the Doctor said. "Did he say how his leg was fixed?"

"Ketamine treatment," Wilson answered absently. He watched as House returned the giggling girl to her mother, then the sharp blue eyes searched until they found him. He knew House could see the anticipation on his face and he wasn't afraid. Not anymore, Wilson thought as House strode purposefully to him.

"Dr. Kyle," House said politely and shook Wilson's colleague's hand. "I'm afraid I'm going to steal your golden boy."

"No problem, good to see you, House," the man said and wandered off.

"So," House said, and Wilson felt breathless. "Let's blow this popsicle stand. If I don't get my hands on you in thirty seconds I'm going to give the ballroom a thrill they won't forget."

"Cuddy's going to kill us," Wilson said as they headed out of the ballroom doors.

"You've done your raindance and the money's gonna pour in," House told him impatiently as he led them out into the large entryway. The taller man guided them to one of the balconies and turned, cupped Wilson's face and after a long searching look, kissed him gently, a butterfly of a kiss that segued into a hot searching clumsy fabulous kiss.

"Wow," Wilson rasped huskily. His pants were too tight and he felt lightheaded.

House smirked. "So, I was wondering if you'd like to start dating?"

"That smugness of yours is such an attractive quality," Wilson said with an eyeroll.

"But you love my smug," House replied with assurance, blue eyes warm.

"Yeah, I really do," was the soft reply.

In the ballroom Lisa Cuddy watched them leave with a fond smile. "It's about damn time."


  Please post a comment on this story.



Legal Disclaimer: The authors published here make no claims on the ownership of Dr. Gregory House and the other fictional residents of Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital. Like the television show House (and quite possibly Dr. Wilson's pocket protector), they are the property of NBC/Universal, David Shore and undoubtedly other individuals of whom I am only peripherally aware. The fan fiction authors published here receive no monetary benefit from their work and intend no copyright infringement nor slight to the actual owners. We love the characters and we love the show, otherwise we wouldn't be here.