OUT, March 2002

"Queer's New Man"

Things they didn't teach Robert Gant when he was in law school

It didn't take long for Robert Gant to get down to business when he joined the cast of Queer as Folk this year. "First episode," says the 33-year-old Gant, when asked how fast he sheds his duds. "I think there's only been one episode where I didn't have to take my shirt off."

Not that we're complaining. In fact, Gant is creating quite a stir as Ben Bruckner, a college professor who is dating Michael (Hal Sparks).

Things get off to a bumpy start--especially after Ben reveals to Michael that he's HIV-positive. But despite the edgy nature of the show and his character, Gant says he wasn't nervous about taking the role. "If I chose to only play romantic boyfriends in sitcoms," he notes (and Gant is also known for playing one of Lea Thompson's paramours on Caroline in the City), "I could very well get typecast as that. By the same token, if you play a gay character who's HIV-positive, it's possible that you'd get typecast into that."

While the Tampa native always loved to act and sing (and he even did a soft-shoe at age 11 with Bob Hope at a local USO show), he also excelled at soccer, baseball, and football. "I definitely had the 'best little boy in the world' syndrome," cracks the Georgetown law school graduate.

But when the Los Angeles law firm that hired him folded just a month after he arrived out west, Gant knew it was time to hit the audition circuit. After being introduced to a commercial agent, he booked the first two jobs he went up for. Soon he was winning guest-starring and recurring gigs, before landing a role on the queerest show in town.

"I was definitely a fan of the British production," he says. "And I loved the American version. I was blown away by its willingness to say whatever it wanted to say."

As for his own sexuality, the actor is letting the audience get to know the character first. "Obviously it's relevant to the show," he says, "but Ben has a lot more to say that I don't think should be watered down by impressions of an actor's personal life. That will all be good for down the road."

While he's enjoying Toronto, where the show films, he's ready to get back to Los Angeles, where he's working with writing partner Walt Mancing on several projects: "It's nice to know that I'll be back in April with my convertible with the top down and my sunglasses on." --Jeffrey Epstein

Back