Go to notes and disclaimers

Erasure
by Your Cruise Director


By the time they move Boromir's corpse, all the dark spilled blood has soaked into the ground. There is only a dark stain on the earth that could be rainwater drying in the soil and on the leaves.

By the time they pull the arrows from Boromir's cooling body, the sweat and pus and gore on his clothing has dried. The rich burgundy cloth of Gondor, already faded and fraying from many weeks of travel, shows only faint discolorations under the arms and around the puncture holes where the material was pierced. When they have finished cleaning and arranging him in the boat, the subtle tinges are barely visible.

By the time they wash Boromir's face, the color has blanched from his lips, which are nearly as pale as the skin surrounding them. Streaks of dirt from the battle and from Aragorn's fingers rinse away, leaving smooth ashen flesh. On his hands, too, the skin has turned so fair that hard white sword-calluses and old scars hardly show. The eyelids begin to grow mottled as if all the color from Boromir's mouth had migrated to burst the tiny veins, but Aragorn tries not to look.

By the time they lower Boromir into the boat, the sun has moved westward behind swift-moving clouds, dimming the brightness that welcomed them to Gondor. Boromir's hair, now clean and untangled, spreads about his head with diffuse radiance as well, catching the scattered light reflected from his shield. For a moment he looks much as he did when Aragorn first saw him with the light behind him, a bright spot of color in a fading landscape. Then the clouds shift, and it is the man who fades.

By the time they have loosed the boat upon the Great River, Boromir is still as a boulder, pale as a statue, already a subject for laments and songs. The silvery boat blends with the white-gray rapids of the Anduin as it disappears from view.

###

cruisedirector@littlereview.com

Title: Erasure
Author: Your Cruise Director (cruisedirector@littlereview.com)
Rating: PG
Summary: Death diminishes everything.
Disclaimer: Characters by Tolkien. Visual inspiration by Jackson.
Notes: Written for the contrelamontre blending colors challenge.


Home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Gallery] [Links] [Guestbook] [Writers' Resources] [Home]