Go to notes and disclaimers

Breaking The Rules of What Should Be
by Vagabond


I n the darkness of my chamber I secretly call to you,
In this night full of power and dark wishes,
And I conjure you up to come to me from your cold and wet grave.

In the loneliness of my heart I despairingly cry for you,
In this night full of power and dark wishes,
And I conjure you up to love me again till the break of dawn forces you away.

~~~

Here I sit on that old window ledge, looking at the sleeping world outside, and wait.
This night is darker then others, colder. It whispers of secrets and forbidden things, it breaks the rules of what should be.

Soon it will be midnight, my love, and then you will come to me.

I long for you, every day since I held your lifeless with blood streaming body in my arms; since you died and took my heart away with you. And I have to think of what we had and what I lost.
It isn't fair to my beautiful wife, who should be loved beyond all; and it isn't fair to my wonderful little son, who should have all of my attention.

But I'm an egoistic man, who can not live without you. I am a ranger who became king and has everything one can ever wish for, but it satisfies me not. All that I want is you.

My love, my jewel, my Boromir.

So I did what is forbidden, what is feared and damned and only told about in confidence.
In the long night of darkness, when the dead and unholy creatures are allowed to walk freely between the living, I did not hide like the others did. I did not pray to the Valars that no evil spirit would come to my home and hurt me. No... In my egoism I opened my door for the shadows and called them to me, using the powerful words of old to make them fulfill my wishes - and laughing and whispering they all came...

"What do you wish from us, Elessar, king of Men?", the darkness laughed and teased, "What is it what your noble heart desires? Everything we can give. Everything we *will* give. But it has a price."

I felt a shiver, when their dank touches almost seemed to reach me soul, and their shallow breath on my face brought the foreboding of death.
But certainty and strength was in my voice, when I answered them.

"By the power that is mine by birth, I command you! For this one night bring back to me what I do love so much, and what I lost cruelly at Amon Hen. Bring to me the fair and brave prince Boromir, my beloved#&151;and every price I will pay."

"So be it", they said, and my heart pounded faster with joy and fear.

"So be it.", I agreed, sealing the pact with word and blood.

And for a moment even time stood still, when I broke the rules of what should be.

~~~

I can hear it, it's coming closer... *You* are coming...

From a tower the hollow sound of a lonely bell announces the midnight hour and outside in the corridor a low splashing becomes louder now, like heavy drops of water on a cold stone floor...

I barely dare to breathe, till I hear the door open with a slight creak, then close again. Silence. An icy breath of wind blows at me and I turn from the window to meet your gaze. Will I feel the same? Can you still arouse my passion with a simple look?

And my heart misses a beat... You are so beautiful that it hurts to look at you...

The eerie light of a clouded moon on your face and hair, your naked body... No sign of the wounds that brought death to your human form once, nothing of the doubt and sorrow that pained you so much. Just cold and timeless beauty.

Like silk is your skin, when I risk a first and timid touch, and it shimmers in its paleness like mother-of-pearl. Your eyes are glittering emeralds, but when I want to lose myself in them, I find them cold, calculating and full of greed.

You smile, but the joy doesn't reach your eyes.

I know what you want and I do not condemn you for it. For I am the one who took you your peace, who forced you to come to me, Do you hate me for it? and I will pay the price at the end of the night.

Vampire, Incubus, unholy Ghost... Boromir, dearest, lover mine...

You are standing before me, in this night of unspoken horror, and your gaze changes to one of longing and desire.
I pretend to myself that you long for me, that it is the memory of your lover from once that awakens your desire. But too greedy you draw me to bed, too greedy your soft lips cover mine, while your cold hands slide under my clothing to take it off.
"Give me warmth," you whisper with your siren like voice, "for I'm so cold. Love me, make me feel alive..."

Your hunger knows no bounds. Again and again you draw me into your embrace and your body writhes in the sheets lithely like a snake, while you purr like a cat whenever I touch you. Your eyes are glowing, animated by unholy power, always full of desire, full of need.
Thirsty, you drink the essence of my life, milking it from the heat of my passion, to make you forget your cold and wet grave. Every kiss a kiss of death, when your sweet lips steal the laboriously taken breath from my mouth.
"Give me only one moment." I plead, exhausted and weak, my body trembling and covered with sweat. "Come, just let me hold you in my arms, love of my life."

Your eyes sparkle mockingly. "Life!", you demand, repeating my words in a twisted sense. "Love!" And your tongue slides over my chest, licking the salty drops there from my skin, and then further to my neck and lips. Your demanding mouth presses down on mine, when you ignore my protest and force me into ecstasy again.

And I give you what you want, what you need, again and again, and I can feel how life flows from me, leaves me.

Do you bring death to me tonight, my beautiful lover?

As if you have read my mind, you just smile coldly and lower your head to kiss my mouth again, while your body still luxuriously writhes above me.
Merciless, your fingers dig into my flesh to spur me on and you begin to ride me with hard and fast thrusts of your hips. My lips open to give a feebly, almost silent cry, and I spend myself in you again.

Pure delight is on your face, when you throw your head back and moan satisfied.
By now, your body seems to burn, full of warmth, of life... But I am so cold that it hurts.
I can already feel the wings of death, feel how I'm slowly fading, totally consumed by you...

But then dawn breaks and you scream in rage and reluctance, trying to stay, to hold yourself into life, despairingly reaching for me, when the shadows come to take you away from me.

Oh Valar, to what have I doomed you, my love?

"Please, don't let me alone.", I beg and try to catch your out- stretched hands.

"Alone.", you whisper, while the shadows tug you away, winding themselves around you, to draw you into the dark. "Alone." And for the first time this night, there is real and deep emotion in your eyes. Pain and loneliness... So much loneliness.

"Not for long, beloved." I promise you, "Soon, I will be with you. Forever."

You smile, and then you are gone.

~~~

Slowly, I raise from the bed, that still owns the scent of our love- making, and force my legs to move. Every step is painful and I nearly drop down.
How does it come that I feel so weak? Have you drained me that much, my Boromir?

Premonition seizes my heart, and I feel great fear growing in me, when I walk towards the mirror...

Incredulously I stare at the old man who is looking back at me, touch in horror my face, the deep wrinkles there, the pale and wilted skin, and the grey hair that covers my head in thin strands...

Years of yearning and unfulfilled passion, burned in only one night.

The price that I have to pay,
the price for my egoism,
for breaking the rules of what should be.

And I laugh in madness for a long time before I sink to the floor and cry like a child.
Behind me, in the darkness of the room, I can feel the shadows move and clearly I hear their quiet laughter...

~~~

little_vagabo67@hotmail.com

Title: Breaking The Rules Of What Should Be
Author: Vagabond (little_vagabo67@hotmail.com)
Type: slash (m/m), mystery/horror
Disclaimer: I don't own the characters, they own me.
Pairing: Aragorn/Boromir
Rating/Warnings: R, to be sure; Halloween Fic, so it's kind of weird and creepy.
Notes: 1. Aragorn POV 2. Story happens after the `War of the Ring', when Aragorn has become king Elessar. 3. This story was originally written for a Halloween Contest, so I had to pretend that a night similar to `Halloween' is known in Middle-Earth.
Summary: Aragorn can't forget Boromir, so he makes a pact with the darkness to bring his lover back...
Beta: Alex_Cat ‚ thank you, dear! :-)
Feedback: Yes please, need it more than chocolate. ;-)
Archive: Sure, just ask, please.

back to top


Home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Gallery] [Links] [Guestbook] [Writers' Resources] [Home]