Go to notes and disclaimers


For He Is Long Away

by Sar


The men of Minas Tirith sang songs about the North wind, and the strange and chill tidings it carried overland to the towers of the city. When the heros of the old tales had been taken with wanderlust, more often than not it was the North wind that set them on their journey. Boromir had never had much time for the old lore, but now, with the thick fog along the Misty Mountains in view, and the chill in the morning air reminding him how far he had journeyed, he wasn't so sure there hadn't been an uncanny influence at work. His father had certainly thought so.

"Rivendell!" the old man had bellowed, pounding his fist on the arm of his chair. "It is a dark day indeed when we must look to the elves! Hidden away in their northern havens—what little power their race ever had is dwindling. You would do well to remember, Boromir, that it was a man, not an elf, who cut the Ring from Sauron's hand."

That was many months and nearly a whole world ago, for in the end, Boromir had defied his father, and traded battle for this lonely ride through the wilderness. He could count on one hand the people he had met this side of the Gap of Rohan, and he had seen no one since he began following the River Loudwater, which he hoped would lead him to Rivendell. The elves, it was rumoured, had ways of hiding their settlements from uninvited travellers, and he had not come this far to wander aimlessly in the wood.

He eyed the shallow water as he rode along the bank. It was more a glorified creek than a river. A trickle compared with the reach and depth of the Anduin in Gondor. The proud, treacherous Anduin, which had swept away so many of his company the day they lost the bridge at Osgiliath. Familiar faces seemed to float on the surface of the Loudwater, brave men who had followed him into battle and would never do so again. He gathered his resolve and urged his horse onward. As faint and desperate as his chance might be, he would not turn back. He could see what his father could not: the threat from Mordor was growing, and if they did not find help somewhere, they risked being nothing more than Stewards of the dead.

~~~

Rivendell, when he finally found it, was unlike anything Boromir had ever seen. From a distance, it seemed to have grown out of the rock and wood surrounding it; up close he could see the craft that had gone into every inch of the place. It was beautiful, and utterly foreign. The elves who had greeted him were solemn and circumspect, but had agreed to his request to see Lord Elrond readily enough. And so he paced back and forth on a terrace overlooking a series of waterfalls, waiting for his audience with the elf lord. There was no shame in wanting to defend his people, he reminded himself. No matter what his father said.

"You are a long way from home, Boromir of Gondor."

Boromir turned to see Elrond at the foot of the stairs. He hadn't heard him approach. Head held high, the elf seemed to glide across the stone floor, making Boromir feel rough and clumsy by comparison. He wondered for a fleeting moment if the effect was deliberate.

"I would not have come if the need were not so great."

Elrond listened intently while Boromir spoke his piece, then stared out at the water. His expression did not change, but Boromir got the distinct impression that the elf was making up his mind about something.

"There is more to your tale than you know," Elrond said finally, "and far more than Gondor and Rivendell will be drawn in before the end."

"But—"

Elrond silenced him with a look. "Tomorrow we hold a Council on these matters. Your questions may be answered then."

Another elf arrived to show him where he could lodge for the night, and that was that. Dismissed until morning, Boromir stowed what gear he had, and set out to explore the elves' city. He hadn't gone far when he came round a corner and stopped in his tracks with astonishment. Three small figures stood, barefoot, leaning against the rail. Two of them were engaged in a lively debate about something; the third returned Boromir's stare with a slightly fierce expression. They all looked like they had wandered out of a legend, or a dream, and he half-expected them to vanish before his eyes.

"What brings three halflings to Rivendell?" he asked as he walked toward them.

"Hobbits," the fierce one replied.

"We call ourselves hobbits, not halflings," one of the others elaborated.

"Ah. Your pardon then," Boromir said, sitting on a bench so as not to tower over them. "You are the first hobbits I've met. I'm Boromir, of Gondor."

"That's alright," said the hobbit on the left. "You're the first man we've met, apart from Strider."

The hobbit in the middle shook his head. "What do you call everyone at the Prancing Pony?"

"They don't count. Anyway, they never introduced themselves, did they?"

"Butterbur did," said the fierce one, looking not quite so fierce now.

The hobbit in the middle looked at Boromir. "I'm Merry, this is Pippin, and that's Sam."

"I'm honoured to make your acquaintance," Boromir said, giving them a small nod.

"I'm going to see how Frodo's doing," Sam said. He gave Boromir a wary look, then headed inside.

"He's just worried," Merry said, by way of apology for Sam's lack of manners. "Our friend Frodo was very ill."

"He nearly died!" Pippin cut in, with the excitement of someone with a story to tell. "We all would have died, if Strider hadn't been there, it—" He was silenced by an elbow in the ribs from Merry.

"I trust he's feeling better now?" Boromir asked, before the silence became too awkward.

"He is, thank you," Merry replied. "Where is Gondor? Is it far?"

"Oh yes," Boromir said. "My city, Minas Tirith, is over one hundred days' journey south of here."

Pippin's eyes grew round. "One hundred days?" He thought for a moment. "Would that be anywhere near Mordor, do you think?"

"Pippin!" Merry hissed, and the hobbit pressed his lips together, a guilty expression on his face.

"Merry! Pippin!" The pair looked past Boromir's shoulder. He turned to see a tall figure walking toward them. "Bilbo's asking for you."

The two hobbits were halfway to the door when Merry stopped and turned back. "It was nice to meet you!" he called, then hurried after Pippin.

Boromir stood, and faced the man—for it was a man, and not an elf as he had originally assumed. He carried himself like an elf, and his footfalls were as silent, but he did not have their pale, stern beauty.

He had something entirely different.

"You must be Strider."

The other man watched him carefully, but said nothing.

"I am Boromir, son of Denethor, Steward of Gondor." Still nothing, and the silence was making Boromir suspicious. Between its enigmatic lord and overly curious halflings this Rivendell was a strange puzzle indeed, and he was certain this man was yet another piece. "I hear it is your habit to rescue hobbits from certain death."

Strider shrugged. "I am a Ranger," he said, as if that explained it all.

This time, it was Boromir who kept silent, and studied the man before him, trying to take his measure. He was dressed in a long tunic that looked to be of elvish making, but his face was weathered and his hands were those of a warrior. Boromir had, of course, heard tales of the Rangers of the North, but in the tales they were not nearly so civilized. This man didn't seem to fit, either to Rivendell or to the tales.

"You're a long way from home, Boromir of Gondor."

Boromir looked up, startled. Elrond had used those exact words. "I am here on behalf of my people," he said, raising his chin. Something flashed across Strider's eyes, but was gone before Boromir could name it.

"As are we all," he replied, then turned and walked back inside.

Boromir stood, not knowing what to think, a long time after Strider had gone.

~~~

The elves, it seemed, had very long memories. As Boromir explored the city, he passed through chamber after chamber of painted images and statues, figures out of legends and half-forgotten songs. Night fell as he wandered, and at last he found himself standing in a moonlit room, before a large painting of Isildur wielding a jagged blade in defiance at the fell form of the Dark Lord. Boromir looked at the scene in awe, and idly wondered what his father would say if he knew of this commemoration by the elves.

Turning, he found a statue bearing several pieces that glinted in the dim light. "The shards of Narsil!" he gasped, astonished to find them here. As far as Gondor knew, they had been lost thousands of years ago. He gripped the sword hilt in both hands, wishing he could feel the full measure of its power.

"The blade that cut the Ring," he whispered. If only his people had such weapons now. He tested the jagged point against the tip of his finger, drawing blood. It was still sharp.

The sting of the cut had brought him out of his reverie, and he now felt eyes watching him. A slow, sidelong glance revealed the form of Strider, staring at him over the edge of a book. Those eyes seemed to see right through him, and he suddenly felt as if he had been caught playing with his father's armour. He muttered a few words and tossed the hilt back onto its shelf. He had far more pressing concerns than broken swords and territorial rangers.

Still, when he heard the clatter of the hilt falling to the floor behind him, he found he could not bear to turn and face those eyes again.

Boromir's mind worked furiously as he picked his way back to his chamber. Elrond, Strider, even the halflings clearly knew more than they were willing to tell. It rankled somewhat that the Ranger must have been invited to attend tomorrow's Council, whereas he had clearly stumbled into it by chance. He thought of Narsil, the rightful heritage of Men, hidden away by the elves for century upon century, and wondered what else the House of Elrond might be concealing. Perhaps his father had the measure of the elves after all.

His dreams that night were a tangled swirl of elves and halflings, jagged swords and the glint of a ring on a dark fist. And through it all, a pair of piercing blue eyes from which he could not hide.

~~~

"Strangers from distant lands, friends of old. You have been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor."

Boromir shifted slightly in his chair, and looked at the assembled circle with suspicion. So these had all been summoned, had they? Elves, dwarfs, wizards, even a halfling... and three men whom he did not recognize. Northerners, most likely. And of course, the ubiquitous Strider, who Boromir ignored in favour of studying the small figure sitting across from him. This must be Frodo, the ill friend. He looked pale and uncomfortable, completely out of place, and yet he had been delivered to this Council. Annoyance prickled the back of his mind. Elrond spoke of the races uniting, but it was clear that Gondor was never meant to be represented here at all.

"Bring forth the Ring, Frodo."

The ring that the halfling set down before the assembly was a plain band of gold, but there could be no mistaking what it was—its power seemed to hum in the very air. It was the One Ring, Isildur's bane.

The greatest weapon ever forged.

He understood now, why the North wind had sent him to Rivendell. It was clear what must be done. He had only to make them understand. He rose to his feet, and began to address the Council. They may have thought they could decide the fate of the One Ring, but none of them, not an elf, dwarf, nor these soft northern men, had ever been on the front lines—had ever borne the burden of keeping the forces of Mordor contained. If this Ring could give Gondor the one chance it so desperately needed—

"You cannot wield it! None of us can."

It was a voice that Boromir recognized, and he turned slowly around. Strider was staring at him as if he were an impetuous child, needing to be told time and again that the swords in the armoury were too sharp to play with. He felt an irrational stab of betrayal that one of the few men in the assembly should contradict him, then pushed it aside. If this man was so badly in need of being put in his place, Boromir would be more than happy to oblige him. "And what would a mere Ranger know of this matter?"

Strider had no reply, and Boromir was about to continue his case when a new voice spoke up.

"This is no mere ranger." One of the blonde elves had risen to his feet, and was scowling in Boromir's direction. "He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn. You owe him your allegiance."

Boromir blinked in surprise. Aragorn was a name known throughout Gondor, but it was a name only, out of a tale that many fighting men had long since ceased to believe. "This is Isildur's heir?" Half of him refused to accept it; the other half wanted to leap at this man, dressed in his elven finery, and demand where he had been when they were being driven from Ithilien, when brave men lay dying at the hands of Mordor.

"And heir to the throne of Gondor," the elf continued, sneering.

Strider said something in elvish then that Boromir could not understand and did not trust. It was clear where this Aragorn's allegiances lay. He was simply one more secret, collected and hidden away by the House of Elrond. As far as Boromir was concerned, Rivendell could keep him. "Gondor has no king," he informed the upstart elf. He glared at the Ranger as he returned to his seat. "Gondor needs no king."

The Council, of course, sided with this so-called Aragorn, and Boromir slumped in his chair at the pronouncement that the Ring must be destroyed. Elrond had not been seeking council at all. He was merely trying to find someone to carry out his decisions for him.

One of the dwarfs ran forward, and was hurled off his feet when he tried to cleave the Ring with an axe. Boromir felt the shock of the blow from where he was sitting, and was strangely relieved to see the Ring sitting untouched on the table. It was not to be destroyed so easily, then.

Elrond took command of the Council again, declaring that the Ring must be taken into the fires of Mount Doom, and be destroyed there. Boromir was stunned. Surely the Elf Lord did not mean to send someone blindly into Mordor? Why didn't he simply hand the Ring over to Sauron, and have done with it? That at least would spare the life of whoever was foolish enough to take up the quest.

He was speaking again before he realized it. He knew what Mordor was. Whoever took the Ring there would be lucky to survive, let alone prevail. There might not be a single member of the Council that he trusted, but Boromir could not, in good conscience, let any of them be mislead to their deaths.

The elf who had spoken earlier leapt to his feet, and from there the Council quickly dissolved into argument. Boromir found himself face to face with the wizard, who insisted on pressing the danger of anyone wielding the Ring and refused to hear any argument of the greater danger that Sauron would end up wielding it himself.

It was a small but persistent voice that brought the assembly to an astonished silence.

"I will take the Ring to Mordor."

The halfling stood in the middle of the circle. Obviously trying to look braver than he actually felt, he continued, "Though... I do not know the way."

Boromir watched, amazed, as the wizard stepped forward to offer his assistance. Surely they weren't going to agree...?

But it seemed they were, for Aragorn stood up next. "If by my life or death I can protect you, I will." He knelt, and pledged his sword to the cause. A pretty speech, Boromir thought, coming from a man who, for all his ancient bloodline, would not undertake the burden himself. The elf and the dwarf came forward while Boromir was sizing up the situation, and in the end, there was nothing to do but pledge Gondor's help as well. Perhaps once they were out in the wild, away from Elrond's influence, he could make them see reason.

~~~

"He should never have agreed they could come!"

"Ah, but he did agree. And they will not be left behind now."

Gandalf had emerged as the leader of the Company, and it had not taken long for Boromir to realize that the wizard could be by turns unfailingly patient, and infuriatingly implacable.

"It is not compassion to allow them to march to their deaths," Boromir insisted. "They would be safer at home in the Shire."

Gandalf set down his noxious smelling pipe and fixed Boromir with a long look. "Gondor is part of a much wider world. You know that, or you would not have come here. Do you really think the Shire is any different? If Frodo does not succeed, there will be no safe places left for any of us." The wizard's expression softened then, and he settled a hand on Boromir's shoulder. "They are stronger than you think," he said kindly. "And they have us to watch over them."

And so the hobbits set out as part of the Fellowship. After the first few days, Boromir realized that the Ringbearer was indeed better off in his tightly-knit group of friends than he would have been had he been forced to journey without them. Aragorn spoke little to anyone, except to confer with Gandalf, while Legolas and Gimli both seemed to alternate between watching each other with a wary eye, and pretending that the other didn't exist. Boromir was inclined to side with Gimli—he had not forgotten the elf's sneering condescension during the Council—but they were all committed to protecting the Ringbearer, and so, for the sake of the Fellowship, he tried to push his anger aside. There would be enemies enough in Mordor.

In his efforts to avoid such confrontations, Boromir found himself spending much of his time in the company of Merry and Pippin. The pair had an unending supply of questions, and a wide-eyed enthusiasm for the adventure that was often contagious. The more he grew to know the halflings, though, the larger the worry loomed in his mind. He did not doubt their courage, but he had seen raw recruits sent out to battlefields with such courage and little else. They were often never seen again.

He finally decided there was only one course of action to take, and when the Company stopped that evening, he offered to train the halflings in the basics of swordsmanship. Frodo and Sam politely declined, but Merry and Pippin were eager to begin immediately. As the weeks passed, sword drills before the evening meal became part of the standard routine for Boromir and the hobbit pair, and there was no doubt that they were improving both in skill and confidence. Aragorn began coaxing Frodo and Sam into basic drills of their own, and a truce developed between the two men as they began to compare observations and suggestions as to which moves were better suited for the shorter reach of the hobbits and the short swords they carried.

The days turned clear and cool, and the Company made good time journeying south among the foothills of the Misty Mountains. On one such evening, Aragorn joined in Boromir's sword drilling, so that Merry and Pippin might practise at the same time. There was a glint in Merry's eye that made Boromir suspect that he was up to something, and he watched the halfling closely.

His attention was misplaced, however, for a few moments later, he heard a cry of "The Shire!" behind him, and Frodo and Sam leapt into the fray. He shared a grin with Aragorn, then spun around to face the new combatants. It was a challenging exercise, mostly because Boromir wanted to avoid actually harming Frodo or Sam. Their style differed from the more familiar moves of Merry and Pippin, a reflection of their respective teachers, Boromir realized. He felt Aragorn move behind him, and without a word, without even having to think, he switched places, stepping around to face Merry and Pippin while Aragorn moved to take on Frodo and Sam.

The rest of the world seemed to vanish, and a fierce sort of joy pounded through Boromir's veins. It felt right to be here, defending Aragorn's back; instinctively trusting Aragorn to defend his. It was as if someone had given the air a quarter-turn, and allowed everything to click into place. He quickened his defence, testing Merry and Pippin, seeing how hard they could be pushed, and for the first time since setting out from Rivendell, the tight knot of fear in his chest began to ease.

The long days of walking and living rough smoothed the sharper edges between all the members of the Company, though Legolas and Gimli still grimaced whenever it was the other's turn to fix the evening meal. Even Sam eventually overcame his awe of Legolas, and on a clear, chilly evening finally worked up the nerve to ask the elf for a tale.

Legolas looked mildly pleased, and drew closer to the fire. "I will," he said slyly, "if Aragorn will favour us with a song when I am through."

Aragorn shot a dark look in Legolas' direction, but the hope that shone openly on Sam's face could not be rejected. "Very well," he said with a small smile.

The tale that Legolas launched into was long, and dramatic, and had even Gimli on the edge of his seat by the time it was through, though the dwarf later claimed that he had hardly been paying attention at all. Darkness was falling, and it was Boromir's turn to take the watch. Excusing himself from the others, he found a broad, flat rock a little ways from the camp, and settled in.

The night air was quiet. He could hear Aragorn singing softly behind him, and shook his head, smiling. Aragorn the Ranger was never quite what Boromir expected him to be. After the mock battle with the hobbits, what had been professional courtesy between the two men had given way to genuine friendship, and Boromir found he enjoyed the enigmatic man's company. It was something of a comfort, after travelling so long alone. He thought of his brother, and his companions left behind in Gondor. May they be victorious, he whispered to the stars overhead. May they be safe.

He had come to understand, from Aragorn's description of the Rangers, that the other man had been fighting Mordor in his own solitary way, and it made him feel a little less guilty to be here, on what stood every chance of being a fool's errand, rather than leading the charge in his father's name in Gondor.

'In Aragorn's name, really,' said a traitorous voice in his head, and he swiftly squashed the thought down. It was strange enough to find himself naming Aragorn 'friend'. It was far too soon, and far too complicated, to consider naming him anything more. He pushed the subject firmly out of his thoughts, and found himself looking up at the stars, trying to pick out the constellations Legolas had described in his tale. It was strange, he thought, how men and elves—and even hobbits, he supposed—could look at the same sky and see a completely different set of stories. He had never had much time for such tales, but Faramir loved them, and had passed many long watches by explaining the sky to his elder brother. He wondered what tales Faramir would see in these stars, were he here.

He heard a light step, then Aragorn was sitting down beside him, holding his pipe.

"Anything?" he asked, between puffs.

"Nothing." Boromir knew that he should give over the watch and rest, but his mind was still too busy to let him sleep. He glanced over his shoulder at the others. While most of the companions had found their own pallets, relishing some small bit of privacy, Frodo and Sam were huddled tightly together. "Inseparable, even in sleep," he murmured, turning back around.

"Hmm?"

"Frodo and Sam."

Aragorn glanced back at the camp, then returned to his pipe, staring out into the night air. "When I first met Sam," he said, smiling at the memory, "he had burst into the room, fists raised, ready to rescue Frodo from my nefarious clutches." The smile faded, and he shook his head. "He would have gone up against my sword, bare handed."

"Frodo is like a brother to him."

Aragorn studied Boromir's face for a moment. "Frodo is far more than that."

Boromir stared at Aragorn as the meaning of his words sank in. "You think... Sam...?" He turned to look at them again, but was stopped by Aragorn's hand.

"Frodo must go, so Sam will follow. That is all we need know."

Boromir shifted slightly, suddenly aware of how close Aragorn was. He flexed his hands, momentarily wishing that he smoked, if only to have something to occupy them. "You make it sound so simple."

Aragorn looked at him, surprised. "You do not think it so?"

Boromir was silent for a moment as he tried to sort through his tangled thoughts. "To subjugate one's will to another—that is no simple thing," he said finally.

"And if it is Sam's will to follow Frodo?"

There was a challenge in Aragorn's eyes that Boromir had no wish to answer. He rested his elbows on his knees, leaning away from the warmth of the man seated beside him. Staring at the dirt, he did not see Aragorn's puzzled frown.

"Men have followed you into battle."

"They fought for Gondor, not for me. And many of them died for it." He ducked his head, and saw again the shore of the Anduin, from which his men would not return. He could feel Aragorn watching him, but had no words to make him understand, and realized at last that he did not wish to try. "I should rest," he said.

As he walked back to where the others slept, he heard Aragorn speaking softly behind him.

"You underestimate yourself, Boromir."

He found his bedroll, and lay down upon it, but did not sleep.

~~~

The brightness of the sun reflected on snow was dazzling, and as Boromir squinted up into a brilliant blue sky, he questioned again the wizard's judgement in leading them over Caradhras. They were far more vulnerable now than they had ever been in the lower country—a ragged line of dark figures against unblemished snow, with a clear path stretching behind them and nowhere to hide should the crebain return. Sam had insisted on bringing the pony and Gandalf had allowed it, though Boromir privately thought it would have been kinder to spare the creature the climb up the mountain. Kinder to spare the halflings themselves, with their bare feet and only homespun cloaks to ward off the chill, but Gandalf had declared there was no other way, and so up the mountain they went.

A small gasp and a sudden commotion behind him had Boromir turning to see Frodo tumbling back down the path. As Aragorn picked Frodo up out of the snow, a strange glint drew Boromir's eye. Blinking, he realized that the chain Frodo wore had come unclasped when he fell and the Ring lay before him in the snow. He picked it up without thinking, watching the sunlight dance as the Ring dangled from the chain in his hand. It was nothing—a flash of light against the sky, the small tug of the breeze against his hand. Yet for the sake of this little scrap they must cower beneath rocks, and climb mountains, and leave their homes undefended...

"Boromir!"

The edge in Aragorn's voice startled him out of his thoughts, and he looked up to see the Ranger watching him. He had, for a moment, forgotten that anyone else was there.

"Give the Ring to Frodo."

Frodo was looking at Boromir with a wary, and somewhat lost expression, which Boromir might have found amusing had Aragorn not been glowering behind him. He looked as if he had lost the Ring forever, rather than carelessly dropping it in the snow. Boromir walked toward him slowly, offering the Ring in an outstretched hand. "As you wish," he said, humouring the pair and letting Frodo grab the Ring as soon as it was within reach. "I care not." He took a step closer, and was startled to see that, behind Frodo's back, Aragorn's hand had gone to his sword hilt. He made a cheerful show of brushing the snow from Frodo's head, then turned and headed back up the path.

As the morning wore on, Boromir found that he could not get the image of Aragorn clutching his sword hilt out of his mind. What had the other man been thinking? Was it really so easily believed that he, Boromir, would try to take the Ring as soon as the opportunity presented itself? Was the pledge of a Man of Gondor so little esteemed? "He means to lead us, but he has no idea who we are," Boromir muttered, "or who I am."

He had let himself fall to the back of the line, and he squinted ahead at the others. He was no threat to the Ring. If he had kept it, what then? The halflings claimed that the Ring had made Frodo invisible, but even an invisible man would leave fresh tracks in the snow. Of any of the company, it was Legolas who should be watched. The elf slept little, and could travel faster than any of them. If Legolas were to steal the Ring, it would never be seen again.

He heard a whisper on the wind and looked up to see that Gandalf and Aragorn had stopped, and were discussing something. He strained his ears, and thought that he may have heard his name. He quickened his pace, but the others had started to move again.

He could see, now, the lines that divided their Company. Gandalf, Aragorn, Frodo and, because he would not leave Frodo's side, Sam, were the true companions, the inner circle of the Fellowship. Legolas kept to himself most of the time, but his counsel was respected, no doubt because he was an elf. Gimli, with his self-appointed task of ensuring the elf didn't take all the credit, and Merry and Pippin, allowed to come along because they refused to be left behind, had no real role in the Fellowship whatsoever. Gandalf had been sly—Boromir could see that now—in setting him to look out for Merry and Pippin. No doubt the wizard was counting on the halfling pair to keep him out of the way. Gandalf might appear to be above desiring to control the Ring, but his constant efforts to control the Ringbearer gave him away. He wondered if Aragorn would dare to draw his sword on the wizard, if it came to that. "Foolish to even ask," the quiet voice in his mind laughed. "He has put all his trust in Gandalf; he has none to spare for anyone else."

The snow had begun to fall as they had been walking, and thick flakes were soon blowing into Boromir's face. As the wind picked up, the whispering in his ears was drowned out, and he noticed Merry and Pippin floundering on the path ahead of him. Feeling slightly ashamed for neglecting the pair, he hurried ahead and offered to carry them. They hung on, one on either side, as Boromir strode through drifts that were rapidly growing deeper. He had never seen a storm come on so fast. The howling wind brought a sharp drop in temperature, and though they never complained, Boromir could feel Merry and Pippin shivering in his arms. They could not last much longer. They had to get off the mountain.

Still Gandalf led them on, until a rockfall caught them on a narrow ledge. Even Aragorn argued that the company must turn back, but Gandalf held his ground, trying to fight the will behind the storm with his own power. Two voices echoed across the wind, and then it happened. Lightning flashed, and with a terrible roar, the side of the mountain above them gave way.

Boromir had never liked confined spaces, and the prospect of being buried alive was almost more than he could take. It was only the thought that the halflings would suffocate that kept him moving. He saw with relief that the others had also dug themselves out, and that no one had been swept down the mountainside. Gandalf was at last forced to admit that they could go no further.

It was a long, bleak march back down the mountain. Even after the storm ended, the cold air seemed to follow them down, and it was a miserable group that at last approached the walls of Moria. Only Gimli was able to muster any real enthusiasm for the path that lay ahead. The air lay dank and heavy in the valley, and their approach skirted the edge of a large, murky pool.

Boromir eyed the water, then looked over to Aragorn, who nodded grimly. They would both be on their guard. Whatever had been affecting Aragorn had been left behind on the mountain, to Boromir's relief. Their friendship, precariously begun, had quietly grown over the weeks of their journey, and Boromir had found himself ill at ease without the Ranger's taciturn company.

Their progress was halted by Gandalf's prolonged attempt to open the stone doors. Merry chose that moment to become both bored and reckless, and had splashed two stones into the pool before anyone could stop him. The water rippled out from where the stones had hit, but then the pattern of the ripples changed. Boromir joined Aragorn at the water's edge. As they watched, a small wave emerged near the center of the pool. Something was out there, and it was heading for shore.

The drama unfolding in the water was interrupted when the rumble of grinding stone filled the air, and Boromir turned to see that the doors to Moria had at last been opened. Gimli breathed a loud sigh of relief. Boromir, looking at the darkness that lay between the stone doors, could only hope that the dwarf's optimism was justified.

~~~

The twinge of panic that Boromir had felt on Caradhras was nothing compared to the bone-chilling horror of feeling a mountain crumble from the inside. The choice between a massacre inside the walls and a hungry monster outside had been brutally and irrevocably made for them, and now they were all entombed in the smothering darkness of Moria, as surely as the dwarven skeletons that littered the floor. The air was musty, smelling of dust and decay, and Boromir felt for a moment as if he couldn't breathe. He dimly heard Gandalf leading the Company on, and saw Aragorn glance at him with a curious expression on his face. He tried to swallow the bitter taste in his throat, then forced himself to draw a deep breath. There was nothing to do but follow.

Night had already fallen when Gandalf had cracked open the doors of Durin, but none of the company complained at having to walk a few more hours before stopping to rest. The roar of falling stone had no doubt echoed throughout the mountain, and everyone recognized the wisdom of being far away, should anything come to investigate.

Gandalf led them at last to an out of the way chamber, and declared they could stop for the night. In the dim light of the wizard's staff, Boromir could see that the stone floor was dusty from long disuse, and thankfully free of skeletons. As the hobbits gratefully collapsed in a corner, he set his gear on the floor and saw Aragorn, beside him, doing the same. A weary silence had settled over the company, and it was only a moment before everyone had found their bedrolls and Gandalf doused the light.

As he lay in that darkness, waiting for sleep, Boromir could feel the fear gathering at the edges of his mind. He heard once again the harrowing shriek of moving stone and felt his skin go cold. The rock around him seemed to take on a living presence, pressing in on him from all sides. It resented their intrusion. It wanted them gone.

With a great effort, he pushed those thoughts aside. There were real enemies enough in these cursed depths; it was foolish to waste strength fretting over imagined ones. He closed his eyes, and focussed on the sound of Aragorn's breath. He pretended that they were once more in the foothills of the Misty Mountains, and kept his mind busy conjuring up their campfire, and the small mountain spring, and a sky full of stars overhead. Lulled by the steady rhythm of Aragorn breathing, calm and sure beside him, he finally slipped into sleep.

He did not know how much time had passed when the pressure on his chest returned. The weight, though, felt different somehow, and he was strangely unafraid. The stark chill of the stone had given way to warmth, and he felt a breath against his ear. Fingers traced his hairline, his cheek, his mouth, mapping his face in the darkness. Without quite knowing how, he recognized that touch. More than that, he welcomed it.

"Aragorn," he breathed.

The weight began to move against him, slow and persistent. Pinned by the other man's body, he could do nothing but lie still and feel. It was not enough—he ached to lift his arms and hold that body close, to arch up into that exquisite pressure, but even those small movements were denied him. As the gentle torture continued, Boromir thought he should go mad. "Aragorn!" he whispered, "please!"

He was awoken by a kick to his ankle, and the sound of someone falling.

"Sorry!" came a muffled voice from the floor down by his feet. "I was looking for some breakfast."

"I knew we could count on your stomach, Meriadoc," Gandalf said. He lit his staff, and Merry carefully picked his way over to the food packs.

Boromir looked back to see Aragorn sit up and rub the sleep out of his eyes. A quick glance at the dusty floor confirmed that the Ranger hadn't moved all night. Aragorn caught his stare, and looked at him curiously. He quickly turned away, hoping to hide the flush he could feel on his cheeks. It had been a dream. Nothing more.

As they took up their journey again, Boromir did his best to concentrate on the path before them, and seeing to the safety of Merry and Pippin. The halflings seemed to have grown accustomed to making their way in the dark, and Boromir soon found much of his watch unnecessary. They had come a long way, these two, from the clumsy—though enthusiastic—pair that had set out from Rivendell. He had been both surprised and pleased at their willingness to keep practising, even when a long day's march had clearly tired them both. Many a new recruit to the Guard could not claim that resolve.

He called to mind their training sessions, trying to assess the strengths and weaknesses of Merry and Pippin's fighting styles, but his thoughts began to slip away from the halflings to dwell on the memory of Aragorn fighting alongside him. Of knowing the other man was at his back. Of lips burning a path along his neck...

Boromir's mouth went dry as he stared at the Ranger, who walked alongside Frodo near the head of the line. Such dreams were easily explained; he had been long alone since leaving Gondor, and even before then. More disturbing was this hunger for the return of a touch that his waking skin had never known. He drew a deep, ragged breath and peered into the darkness above him. Perhaps he needn't worry about the mountain crushing him after all; perhaps it had abandoned its designs on his physical form and was simply going to drive him mad instead.

As soon as he thought it, the notion proved too fanciful for Boromir's normally prosaic turn of mind, and he laughed out loud. Aragorn turned, and as their eyes met Boromir suddenly found himself unable to move. He reached for defiance to cover his confusion, and eventually Aragorn turned away.

Freed from the spell of Aragorn's gaze, Boromir clenched his teeth in frustration at his predicament. This was Isildur's heir, who would no doubt press any advantage to force his allegiance. He could not afford to lose control. He rubbed at his eyes, and then surveyed his surroundings. They were in a large cavern, on what looked to be an old causeway, perhaps once used for hauling stone. He pushed all thoughts of the Ranger out of his head by concentrating on where a solitary orc would most likely attack them right now. A pair of orcs. A patrol. A company. His head full of imaginary battles, he walked on.

~~~

Boromir lost track of how many hours they trudged through the darkness before Gandalf led them to a side room and allowed the hobbits to break open the food packs. As he checked the perimeter of the room, Boromir found an ornate wooden door, which opened to reveal what he surmised was a small dining chamber, with a long stone table flanked by benches. He found a torch hung in a bracket on the far wall, and lit it from his own. The small circle of firelight caught the end of the table, leaving the rest of the room in darkness. Not ideal, but it would do.

When the others had bedded down for the night, Boromir quietly carried in his gear and placed it on the table. He wasn't yet exhausted enough to risk whatever dreams sleep might bring. He began unbuttoning his tunic. There hadn't been time to tend to his chain mail, after fighting off that tentacled thing, whatever it was. He peeled of his mail and undertunic, sighing in relief as the cool air soothed his back and shoulders.

He sat astride the end of a long bench, his back to the door, so that the torchlight would allow him to find any chinks or spots of rust. As his hands worked methodically, he let his mind drift back to the caverns they had crossed. He couldn't help but find it strange that so much craft had gone in to building walls and pillars that would never know the sun, that could only be seen in the flickering shadows of firelight. He thought of the tower of Ecthelion gleaming in the sunlight, tried to transplant the image into the gloom of Moria, and failed.

Three days ago, he would not have believed there could be such a place. He idly wondered what dwarves born to this gloom must think, stepping out of the darkness and into the open world for the first time—what they would make of stars, and sunlight, and open sky.

He was jolted from his thoughts by a pair of warm hands on his shoulders. The mail shirt slipped from his grasp and clattered to the floor.

"Shh... it's all right," a soft voice whispered. The hands continued to work on his shoulders, kneading sore muscles, trying to draw the tension out of his neck. He moved to speak, to turn around, but the hands held him in place. "Let me do this for you."

Boromir wondered for a moment if he was awake or dreaming. As his tired muscles began to relax, he discovered he didn't care, and let his head fall forward.

The warm touch moved lower down his back, and... changed. Deep, soothing strokes gave way to light, tentative touches, fingertips moving slowly over the surface of his skin. A shiver went through him as fingers traced the lines of his ribcage, and began to draw slow circles on his chest. He felt warm breath against his shoulder, making the rest of his skin seem chilled, despite the torch.

A low, unsteady voice filled his ear. "Last night, as you slept, you whispered my name."

In a deep corner of Boromir's mind, an alarm sounded. He should resist; he should refuse. He should remember that this man was not to be trusted. He should—

Objections were swept away unvoiced by the sensation of lips caressing his neck, and hands moving lower, stopping when they reached the ties of his leggings.

"Whisper my name, Boromir."

Boromir was lost. "Aragorn!" he gasped, leaning back, wanting those lips on his own.

He was rewarded with the taste of sweat, and smoke, and something deeper, wilder, that he could not name. Cool air brushed his skin as quick hands unlaced the ties, making his mind swim. An arm snaked across his chest, pinning him in place, and the world shrank to the feel of calloused skin moving against his, and the echo of ragged breath against stone walls. He moved, instinctively, into that touch, wanting to forget where he ended and Aragorn began, muscles in his neck straining as he tried to climb deeper into the mouth that claimed his. It was dizzying, and he let himself fall until he shattered, stifling a cry against Aragorn's cheek.

He rested, gasping for breath, until arms pulled away from him, and the solid frame he leaned against slid back. He turned, and saw Aragorn holding up his hands, staring as if he did not recognize them. He looked up, and Boromir was surprised to glimpse something very much like panic in his eyes.

"I should... check on the others," was all Aragorn said. He looked at Boromir once more, his expression unreadable, then stood and walked into the darkness.

Boromir stared after him for a long moment, not trusting himself to move. At last, the chill against his skin reminded him that the torch was burning down. He gathered up his gear and dressed, covering himself against the oppressive dark, the weight of his mail strangely reassuring and solid. His mind spun with questions, but exhaustion quickly won out. He wrapped himself in his mantle, stretched out on the floor, and fell into a dreamless sleep.

It was Legolas who shook him awake some hours later. He emerged into the main room, now dimly lit by Gandalf's staff, where the others were shouldering packs and belting on swords.

"Now, why do you suppose he slept in there?" Pippin asked, slightly more loudly than he should.

Merry glanced at Boromir and gave a small, apologetic shrug. "Most likely to escape your snoring, I should think."

"I don't snore!"

Three small heads turned, surrounding Pippin with three identical expressions.

"Well, maybe a little, when it's cold out," he admitted. "But I'm not nearly so bad as Gimli."

"What!"

Pippin bolted, and hid behind Boromir before the dwarf could reach him.

"IF you are quite ready," Gandalf said pointedly, "it's time we were going."

Gimli spared one last growl for Pippin, then followed the wizard out the door. Aragorn adjusted his quiver and bow, then held out a hand. "Come along Frodo, Sam," he said quietly. He did not look at Boromir.

~~~

The signs of a large-scale battle grew more pronounced as the company journeyed farther beneath the mountain. Fallen stone littered the floors of battered passageways, and twice Gandalf had to retrace his steps when the way ahead became impassable. And everywhere, it seemed, the bodies of fallen warriors gave a mute and desperate warning of the dangers that lay in the deeps. The halflings, as they often did when uncomfortable, walked in a tight, silent group, huddling in to themselves. Boromir walked behind Gimli, and thought he could see in the set of his shoulders something of the dwarf's fury and despair. As the hours passed, the mounting number of corpses made it more and more likely that there had simply been no one left to tend to the dead.

The thought of an entire city lying dead where it fell made Boromir shudder, and he couldn't bear to watch Gimli's stiff march any longer. He cast a brief glance at the ceiling, looming just over his head, swallowed thickly, then fixed his eyes on the back on Aragorn's head. Again.

He wondered, not for the first time, just what it was that Aragorn was up to.

He wished he could feel angry. Anger was an honest, simple emotion, and entirely justified if his worst suspicions proved true. As the hours had worn away, however, he had found himself unwilling to believe the worst of Aragorn, which had effectively put anger beyond his reach. His foot slipped on a shallow step, and he cursed the small feet of dwarves, and his own foolishness in the bargain. He'd be far better off to keep his mind on the task at hand.

He reached the top of the steeply inclined staircase to find the company halted at the junction of three passageways. Gandalf was looking back and forth between them and muttering to himself. By unspoken agreement, everyone fanned out to claim a spot to rest while the wizard made up his mind which way to go. Aragorn set his torch on the stairway, and habit had Boromir sitting down beside him before he even realized what he was doing. The Ranger merely glanced at him, then offered the stem of his pipe.

Boromir shook his head. He had grown accustomed to the smell of pipeweed over the course of their journey, but he still failed to understand the appeal of breathing it in deliberately. "You're as bad as the wizard," he commented, trying to sound as normal as possible.

Aragorn looked up to where Gandalf and Frodo were talking, and shrugged. "Who do you think got me started?" he replied, in an equally light tone.

Boromir could think of nothing more to say. Aragorn puffed away on his pipe, and the silence between them quickly grew strained. At last, Aragorn lowered the pipe, looked at it rather fiercely for a moment, then said quietly, "It was ill done."

The anger that had lain dormant in Boromir's mind flared to life. He would not stand to be reprimanded by this man. "You sought me," he pointed out coldly. He caught a flash of impatience in Aragorn's eyes, and it belatedly occurred to him that he may have been trying to apologize, rather than reproach. He held his tongue, and waited for Aragorn to speak again.

"I did not mean to go so far."

Boromir's eyes opened wide in disbelief. He remembered the proceedings—vividly—and there had been little opportunity for misinterpretation. The suspicion returned that Aragorn was somehow trying to twist events around so that the blame lay with him, and he had to work to keep it out of his voice. "What did you mean, then?"

"I thought to offer comfort," Aragorn said, his eyes fixed on the flame from the torch, "nothing more."

Something in his voice gave Boromir pause. He watched Aragorn's face for a moment, and realized, with no small degree of astonishment, that for the first time since leaving Rivendell, the Ranger looked as though he did not know the way.

He caught a movement out of the corner of his eye, and looked up to see Legolas approaching. He turned his head back, not trusting himself to look at Aragorn or the elf. The pieces were rapidly tumbling into place in his mind, and he could not help but feel a certain smug satisfaction. It was one thing to find oneself wanting a man. It was quite another to know that the wanting had broken the other man first. It would seem there were some things that even Isildur's heir was powerless to control.

"My thanks, then," he said, loudly enough for Legolas to hear, "for your selfless concern for my welfare." Aragorn flinched, and did not reply.

"Ah." Gandalf announced, causing everyone to look up the stair, "It's that way."

Boromir quickly got to his feet and followed the wizard, leaving Aragorn to take up the torch.

~~~

Dwarrowdelf was a wonder. The great pillars and archways not only stood, they soared in a way that was beyond Boromir's ability to imagine in these dark depths. Its splendour was marred, though, by the gruesome evidence that Dwarrowdelf had been one more battlefield. Gimli gave a strangled cry, and ran to a side chamber. The Company followed, and Boromir realized with a sinking heart that the shaft of sunlight on the sepulchre could mean only one thing. He reached out a hand to comfort the grieving dwarf as Gandalf confirmed that his kin, the lord of Moria, was dead.

Gandalf freed a large and dusty book from the clutches of its owner, and quietly read out the scribe's final account. 'We cannot get out. We cannot get out. They are coming.' The words froze in Boromir's veins. Terror held him captive until the clattering of a skeleton tumbling down the well shattered the silence, and any hope they had of getting through Moria undetected. The drums began their deadly echo, and when he felt the breeze of the first arrow on his cheek, Boromir almost felt relieved. Here, at least, was something he could fight.

The next hour passed in a disjointed blur. The fetid reek of orc blood. Mingled pride and horror as Merry and Pippin leapt at the cave troll. The desperate dash through halls and stairways to the bridge. Fire and crumbling stone. Frodo fighting his grip as he ran them to safety.

Aragorn, frozen in disbelief, staring at the chasm where Gandalf had fallen.

The sky above the Misty Mountains was overcast, but light enough to sting eyes grown accustomed to the long dark of Moria. Gimli, mad with grief, wanted to charge back in, but was at last persuaded that the wizard was lost. The halflings were inconsolable. Boromir merely felt numb. He had been longing for sunlight for so many days, but now it seemed bleak and cutting, as if it meant to lay the whole of the earth bare to its unforgiving touch.

It seemed Aragorn was determined to pick up where Gandalf had left off, and he ordered the company to stand and march. His initial protest rejected, Boromir found he did not have the heart to argue. The further they were from Moria, the better.

Aragorn insisted that they put as much distance between themselves and the orcs as possible before dark, so they trudged on, hour after hour. Boromir took pity on a straggling Pippin, and the young hobbit, too weary to protest, dozed at his shoulder. Merry, Sam and Frodo marched in a tight pack, each doing his best to keep the others on their feet. Aragorn, far ahead in the lead, had just disappeared around a large rocky outcropping when Sam tripped, bringing the other two down with him. Collapsed in a heap, they lay there until Boromir and Pippin caught up. Frodo let out a small groan as he tried to push himself upright.

"No," Boromir said, carefully depositing Pippin on the ground beside them, "We'll rest here a while." The hobbits gave a collective sigh of relief.

Legolas and Gimli had stopped when the hobbits went down, and were watching Boromir with interest as he walked toward them. "Keep watch," he instructed Legolas, who looked mildly surprised for a second, then nodded. Boromir patted his arm, then hurried around the outcropping.

Aragorn was a little way ahead, but stopped when he glaced back and saw only Boromir standing before the rock. He quickly retraced his steps. "What is it?" he asked, his hand going to his sword hilt.

Boromir held up a hand. "Only that we must rest. I've been carrying Pippin this last mile or so, and the others are little better."

Aragorn looked up at the cloudy sky. "We cannot spare more than a few minutes," he warned.

"Merry assures me he is too exhausted to eat," Boromir replied, unable to suppress a small smile.

Aragorn laughed and leaned against the rock of the outcropping. "Then he is weary indeed."

Relieved that Aragorn was not going to make an issue of his decision to stop the company, Boromir relaxed and leaned against the rock himself. "They fought well," he said.

"They did. Though I suspect Sam is more comfortable wielding a skillet than a sword."

Boromir had not seen Sam fighting. "He didn't."

Aragorn shrugged. "If you and I are surprised, think how the orcs must have felt."

Boromir searched his memory, trying to piece together what had happened when the orcs attacked. "It did not look good, near the end," he said, staring at the ground, trying to sort out the memories. "You fell, and then Frodo... I finished with the last of the orcs just in time to see Merry and Pippin leap onto the troll's back." He did not see Aragorn's eyes widen as he continued, "The troll picked Merry off and flung him to the ground, but Pippin managed to pull the creature's head back so Legolas could send an arrow to its brain." He looked up at Aragorn, who nodded.

"I remember hearing the troll fall."

They were silent for a moment, neither one wanting to speak of what had followed at Khazad Dum.

"We should never have set foot in Moria," Boromir said finally, shaking his head. "There was nothing there but shadow and regret."

Aragorn slowly raised his hand, his fingers tracing lightly down the other man's cheek. "Not entirely," he said softly.

Boromir did not know who kissed whom first, only that in a matter of moments they were clinging to each other, as if to drive the last of the shadows away. The numbness around Boromir's heart melted, letting his grief run free at last. He twined his fingers through Aragorn's hair, feeling the other man do the same, wanting to seize this new freedom, to hold on to the sheer defiance of being alive.

He was brought back to himself by Sam, calling from the other side of the outcropping.

"Strider? Boromir?"

There was a warmth in Aragorn's eyes as he pulled away, and he caressed Boromir's cheek for a moment, looking as if there was something he wanted to say. He let his hand fall, and looked away. "Onward to Lothlórien," he said, leaving Boromir to wonder if that was a command or a promise.

~~~

As they were marched through the wood, Boromir felt a familiar sense of unease settle over him. The pale elves that escorted them were even more aloof and self-important than those of Rivendell had been. He could almost see the nervousness radiating from Merry and Pippin. The halflings had grown more accustomed to being among 'big folk', but Lothlórien was built on a scale that made even a man seem to shrink to insignificance.

"Boromir, son of Denethor."

It was a woman's voice that he heard. He looked around, but there was no one save the Fellowship and the elves who guided them up the winding stairs. He remembered Gimli babbling about a witch in the wood, and realized with a stab of fear that the voice had spoken inside his mind.

"You carry a great unrest within you. Your father would not see you suffer so."

"What do you know of my father?" he silently demanded, but the voice did not answer.

They reached a platform at the top of the stairs, and a pair of elves approached to grant them an audience. Boromir paled as dread overwhelmed him, for there could be no doubt that this was the Lady of the Wood, who had looked into his heart and seen in a moment the twisting knots that he had been hiding from for so long. Loyalty and guilt, hope and despair, love and betrayal twined and snarled around each other so that to think of one was to get tangled and lost in them all. As she spoke aloud to the others, Boromir met her gaze, and was terrified of the cool certainty he saw there. She had penetrated the maze in a single glance, he was certain of it, and the realization that he had no wish to know what she had found there frightened him even more.

"The White City stands yet," she said in his mind. "Hope remains, Man of Gondor, only mind which bargain you would make."

The audience concluded, and the Company were led back down the stairs and shown where they might rest for the night. Boromir wandered a small distance away, craving solitude in which to gather up his whirling thoughts. His father would not see him suffer so, the Lady had said. If the Lord Denethor had had his way, Boromir would be in Gondor, where everything was simple. Simple and hopeless, but his father could not see that. He would call the quest Folly, and Boromir's part in it Treason. It troubled Boromir to think ill of his father, but in truth, the Steward of Gondor was a difficult man, easily blinded by his own stubborn pride. And Boromir was his father's son.

"You should take some rest."

Boromir looked up, startled out of his thoughts.

"These borders are well protected," Aragorn continued, making his way past the spot where Boromir was seated.

Part of him wanted to let the man walk on, to be left alone with his fears. But only part. "I will find no rest here," he blurted out, and was surprised to hear desperation in his voice. Aragorn must have heard it as well, for he turned.

"I heard her voice inside my head," Boromir began, and told him something of the Lady's words. Aragorn said nothing, but sat down at Boromir's side, giving him the courage to continue.

"My father is a noble man, but his rule is failing, and our—" he stopped, realizing to whom he was speaking. "Our people lose faith." It was a painful admission. Gondor had been vouchsafed to her Stewards, and above all Boromir wished to be worthy of the trust of her people, and to keep the White City safe. It was his home, but it was more than that. It stood for more than that. With an unexpected twinge of hope, it occurred to Boromir that this was something Aragorn might understand. "One day," he promised, placing a hand on Aragorn's thigh, "our paths will lead us there, and the Tower Guard shall take up the call—'the Lords of Gondor have returned!'"

Aragorn looked away, his expression troubled, but he did not move from Boromir's touch. There will be time, Boromir thought, still viewing in his mind's eye the banners of the White Tower. There will be time to make him see.

A flash of white at Aragorn's throat caught his eye, and he reached for it, only to be stopped by the other man's hand. "What is that?" he asked in wonder, peering to get a better look. The jewel gleamed, even in the fading light of the evening.

Aragorn covered the brightness with his hand. He looked, for a moment, as if he would stand and leave, but then he sighed, and leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. "It is a gift," he said quietly, glancing at Boromir, and then looking away, "from Elrond's daughter Arwen."

An ugly feeling rose in Boromir's chest, but something in Aragorn's expression made him put a firm check on his emotions. This was not about him. "She loves you," he said, and saw that he had guessed correctly. For all his resolve, though, he could not bring himself to ask Aragorn if he loved her.

"She knows she cannot bind herself to me and keep her immortality." Aragorn's fingers lightly traced the jewel at his throat, and when he looked at Boromir, there was anguish in his eyes. "How could any man be worthy of such a pledge?"

Boromir, feeling anew the twisting barbs of love and guilt in his own heart, had no answer. He laid his hand gently on Aragorn's back, and sat with his friend in silence.

~~~

It rained the whole of the next day, a misting rain that was hardly felt at first but, given time, soaked everything through. The Company had spent the day sheltered beneath Lothlórien's enormous trees, and while Boromir was glad to be out of the rain, his restlessness grew by the hour and by late afternoon it was all he could do to keep from pacing back and forth. He spied Aragorn wandering out into the rain, and after a moment decided to follow. It would be an exercise of his tracking skills, if nothing else.

The Ranger picked a meandering path, making slow but steady progress through the trees. He did not seem to be headed anywhere specific. Boromir followed for the better part of an hour before Aragorn slipped behind a stand of trees and seemed to vanish. When Boromir came around the trees, he found a small clearing, and Aragorn waiting for him.

"Was there something you wanted?" Aragorn asked politely. A wry smile revealed why he too was wandering out in the rain, and he laughed when Boromir shook his head. The trees afforded them partial shelter, and the trunks were broad enough to give each man a place to lean somewhat comfortably.

"Do you miss it?" Boromir asked at last. "Being a Ranger, patrolling the wild?"

Aragorn looked thoughtful for a moment, then looked at Boromir with shrewd eyes. "Would you miss it?"

"I imagine there is great freedom in such a life," he said, looking out into the rain. "Simplicity, and solitude."

"We cannot escape what we are, Boromir." Aragorn's voice was tinged with sadness, and resignation.

"Might we not forget?" Boromir's voice was rough, and his hand trembled as he gently pushed a lock of wet hair away from Aragorn's cheek. "Simply forget, for a little while?"

Aragorn said nothing, but the need in his eyes mirrored Boromir's own. Boromir moved closer, his hand hovering just above Aragorn's chest. "Only let me touch you," he whispered.

The barely perceptible nod was enough for Boromir to close the distance between them. Fingertips traced the hard line of muscle beneath Aragorn's tunic, and the skin on Aragorn's neck was warm, and tasted of rain and woodsmoke. For the first time since their arrival in Lothlórien, the turmoil in Boromir's mind quieted. There was no questioning here, no need to repress or equivocate. There was only the soft sound of Aragorn gasping, the strength of Aragorn's arms as they pulled him closer. His lips found Aragorn's, touching off a skirmish in which neither man was willing to give ground until they were both dizzy and gasping for breath.

Boromir recovered first, and reached for the clasp of Aragorn's cloak. It was a battered oilskin garment, shabby to look at but well-suited to its purpose. He laid it carefully on the ground, then quickly discarded his own cloak. His eyes flashed a challenge at the Ranger as he peeled off his tunic, and he felt his heart pound when Aragorn did the same. The body before him had a slighter build than Boromir's own, but he did not doubt its strength. Aragorn was beautiful and deadly, and Boromir burned with the need to touch him.

Neither man spoke a word as Boromir guided Aragorn onto the outspread cloak and followed him down. He captured Aragorn's mouth, revelling in the feel of the rain misting against his back, and the warm skin pressed against his chest. He moved slowly down Aragorn's body, exploring leisurely with his lips and tongue, drinking the rain from pale skin. His hands went to the ties of Aragorn's leggings. He carefully peeled back the damp cloth, smiling when the other man gasped. He bent then, and tasted the hard, smooth flesh, teasing it until Aragorn was writhing beneath him. With a small snarl of triumph, he returned to Aragorn's lips, laying claim as his tongue plundered the mouth beneath him.

Aragorn responded with a low growl and a brief flurry of movement that left Boromir lying on the oilskin cloak. The smell of dark earth filled his nostrils, mixing with the clean scent of the rain and the heady aroma that was Aragorn. He surrendered to them all as Aragorn's hot mouth laved circles on his chest, leaving a fiery trail on chilled skin. He felt his leggings loosen, and moaned as he arched into the touch that had haunted him since Moria. It wasn't enough, though, and he reached out for Aragorn, who obliged him by moving to cover Boromir's body with his own. His breath caught as Aragorn began to rock against him, pinning him between solid earth and the gathering waves that coursed through his body. He pulled Aragorn closer, wanting to dissolve into the man's touch, to be driven into the earth until nothing but this burning need remained. He felt his body arch to meet Aragorn's, bringing him closer and closer to oblivion until, with a desperate cry, he let it swallow him whole.

When Boromir came back to himself, Aragorn was sitting, staring up at the rain with a haunted expression on his face. Watching him, Boromir realized that nothing had changed. Nothing could change. He wiped the rain from his face and got to his knees. Without quite meaning to, he took Aragorn's face in his hands and gently kissed his forehead in a silent farewell to what could never be. Aragorn had been right. They could not escape what they were.

~~~

Their leave-taking from Lothlórien was elaborate, and to Boromir's mind, overly drawn-out. The Lady of the Wood had been generous, gifting the Company with new supplies and equipment and, most notably, boats. The halflings, though they said nothing, clearly had misgivings about their new form of transportation, and spent the first few hours on the water gripping the gunwales.

Boromir's mood wasn't much better. There was too much time to think while paddling. Too much silence, broken only by the sound of the waves. The water here ran swift and shallow, sparkling in the sunshine, but as Boromir looked upon it, he found himself shivering. He remembered other waves, dark and treacherous, obscuring the shoreline, cutting him and his men off from help. The desperate struggle to keep moving, to stay close to Faramir, hoping that they were headed for shore. Four men only had emerged from the water that night, frozen, exhausted and defeated.

The murmur of the waves grew louder as the tributary they had followed joined the Anduin, and it seemed to Boromir that he could hear in the swift flowing water the voices of the men he had lost, whispering his name, repeating over and over the litany of his failures. He had abandoned the warriors of Gondor, his men, and now dared to return empty-handed. He had offered himself and his City to a man who did not want them. Bitter ashes stirred in Boromir's heart. Aragorn had used him for his own pleasure, deceiving him into thinking he stood with Men, all the while planning to return to his Elf-maid. The claim to the throne of Gondor might be his by birth, but he did not deserve the allegiance of her people.

The anger that Boromir had denied for so long finally began to take hold. He had been foolish, utterly foolish to let himself believe that Isildur's heir would be concerned with any fate but his own. Foolish to think he had ever been anything but alone.

The boats rounded a bend in the Anduin, and Boromir was pulled out of his thoughts at the sight of the Argonath. The twin figures of Isildur and Anarion rose stern and commanding on either side of the river. Their silent sentinel over the passage into Gondor was a testament to the will of Men, and Boromir felt a lump of awe in his throat as he approached the Pillars of the Kings.

As they made their way past the feet of Anarion, Boromir saw the pride and reverence on Aragorn's face, and his own wonder turned sour. Imposing as the ancient Kings were, their powers to protect Gondor were long dead, and the bloodline that Aragorn cherished was just as weak. Boromir, too, was descended from a Numenorian house—a house that was charged with the protection of Gondor in the wake of the failure of her Kings. In the roar of the approaching falls, Boromir heard his father's voice, branding him traitor and coward, berating him for being misled by elves and wizards into foresaking his duty to his people. Resolve hardened in his heart as he followed Aragorn to the western shore of the river. No more.

They came ashore at a shallow, stone beach. As the bottom of the boat scraped the bank, the roar of the water seemed to grow louder, demanding how he dared set foot on the soil of the ancient realm. The twisting knot in his chest grew tighter and doubt assailed him from all sides. Any way he turned, now, he was foresworn. He stayed in the camp long enough to unload the boat, then slipped away into the trees, away from the sound of the river. He needed space in which to think.

The woods in which he walked were scattered with ruins and stone figures, monuments to the glory and works of Men. He wanted to feel pride in their ancient dignity, but the stone statues regarded him with blank, dead eyes and the ruins reminded him of nothing but the frailty of his race. 'I would see the glory of Gondor restored,' he had told Aragorn. It shamed him to admit that he did not know how.

He caught sight of Frodo among the ruins, and made his presence known, carefully hiding his exasperation at the halfling's foolishness. They were not far from Mordor, and the Ringbearer ought to have known better than to leave the protection of the others. His frustration was tempered by pity when he saw Frodo's haunted expression, and Boromir allowed that perhaps he was not the only one in search of solitude. Elrond had set Frodo an impossible task, and Frodo was clearly struggling under its weight. It did not need to be like this. He tried to make Frodo understand that Elrond's blindness need not condemn them all, but the halfling would not listen.

"I ask only for the strength to defend my people!" It was humiliating that he, Captain of the Tower Guard, must beg for help from a halfling, and he could not keep the anger from his voice. That this half-grown creature could stand between Gondor's ruin or salvation, and recoil from Boromir's honest entreaty was an affront to Boromir's pride.

"You are not yourself," the halfling accused.

At his words, something deep in Boromir's mind gave way. They were nearly at the Dark Lord's gate, and still Frodo did not see that he was merely choosing to lose the Ring to the enemy. But perhaps, came the whisper inside his mind, that was what Elrond had intended all along. Frodo would be sacrificed, and all of Gondor was doomed to share his fate.

It would not happen.

Frodo tried to run, but he could not match Boromir's speed and strength, and it took only seconds to chase him down and pin him on the ground. Boromir tried to grasp the Ring, but Frodo struggled against him, twisting away until he suddenly vanished under Boromir's hands. Boromir felt a sharp kick at his chest, and realized that the halfling had put on the Ring.

Boromir was furious, both at Frodo and at himself. He had waited too long to assert Gondor's claim. The halfling was already in the Dark Lord's power. His mind filled with a howl of frustration, and he added his own curses to the empty air. The halflings had been nothing but trouble from the beginning. He never should have trusted any of them. He looked around wildly, trying to discover which way Frodo had gone. The hill beneath him was slippery with fallen leaves, and in his haste he lost his footing, and fell heavily to the ground.

There was silence. The rage he had felt just moments ago was gone, replaced by a dull emptiness, and in one moment of horrifying clarity, he understood. It was not Frodo who had been under the spell of the Ring. He scrambled to his feet, desperately searching for Frodo, to explain, to apologize, to put things right between them. Frodo did not answer, and Boromir felt a chill go through him as he realized the magnitude of what he had done.

Of all the Company, the Dark Lord had broken Boromir first. It was his heart that was weak, his mind that had been unable to see the Ring for what it was. He would have done it—all that he had accused Frodo of. He would have brought darkness down upon Gondor, enslaving the people he was sworn to protect. A sick feeling twisted in his stomach, and he wanted to retch, to purge himself of the Dark Lord's taint.

Galadriel had warned him, and in his pride, he had not heeded her. The bargain he chose was ruinous, and only the courage of a halfling had saved him. He had failed the Fellowship, and failed his people. He wandered among the ruins, trying not to see the cold stone faces that stared at him in silent accusation. He must leave the Fellowship, for none of the Company would trust him now. He knew that whatever ties he may have had with Aragorn were forfeit, along with any hope that Isildur's heir might look to Gondor instead of Rivendell, and the knowledge nearly broke his heart.

He would return the camp, he decided, and tell the others that he was going on to Minas Tirith. They need not know why. If he left quickly, perhaps Frodo would not reveal what had happened between them. He heard Merry and Pippin's voices through the trees, and wondered how to tell them he would not be continuing on. The voices grew more frantic, and a moment later Boromir heard the heavy trod of armoured orcs. He ran toward the sound, sword ready, all thought of leaving abandoned. He was still needed. He would fight.

~~~

The orcs were bigger than the ones he had fought in Moria, and they were everywhere. Boromir threw himself between the halflings and an enemy axe, cutting and slashing his way through the orcs that surrounded them. There were more coming through the trees, though, a force far beyond what he could hope to defeat himself. His hand went to the Horn of Gondor, his birthright as the Steward's eldest son. He raised it to his lips, and three desperate notes rang through the trees. "Run!" he called to Merry and Pippin, and blew the horn again.

It was said that if the Horn were blown at need anywhere within the bounds of ancient Gondor, help would be summoned. As the moments passed, however, it seemed to Boromir that all he had summoned were more orcs. His sword did not stop as he tried to keep the monsters from reaching Merry and Pippin.

He felt a sharp pain near his shoulder, and looked down in astonishment to see the shaft of a crude arrow lodged in his chest, inches from his heart. The force of the blow brought him to one knee, but he quickly regained his footing and continued to fight, trying to ignore his burning shoulder. He heard the ragged creak of the bow behind him, and his blood ran cold as he realized he had left his shield by the river. He turned just in time to see the arrow fly free. Pain tore through him, this time bringing him to his knees.

Time stopped. Boromir had been a fighting man all his life; he knew that a man shot in the stomach did not recover. Merry and Pippin stood and stared, and it was their horror and fear that prodded him to action. He was already dead, but they might still be spared. He forced himself to his feet, willed shaking arms to keep moving, prayed he could keep his balance as the world began to spin around him.

The third arrow drove the air from his lungs, and it was all he could do to keep drawing breath. Against his best efforts, he swayed and fell to the ground. This time, he knew, he would not rise again. The world shrank to a haze of pain, and he dimly heard Merry and Pippin being carried away by the orcs. A succession of boots tramped by him, their owners taking no notice of his gasping and choking. He had already been defeated. Had he the strength, Boromir could have wept. He had blown the Horn, and no help had come. Gondor had passed judgement on her fallen son, and now Merry and Pippin must pay for his failure.

The orc archer remained. Boromir watched him, helpless against the twisted look of feral pleasure of the monster's face. He heard the creaking of the bow once more, and tried to meet his death bravely.

Out of nowhere, Aragorn was suddenly there, somehow, charging the orc, sending its shot wide. Dizzy with pain and relief, Boromir dragged himself away from the fray until he was propped up against a small rise of earth. His strength was failing, but he made himself keep breathing. Merry and Pippin's fate depended on Aragorn knowing of their capture.

He could barely feel Aragorn's hands on his chest, but it did not matter. Moments ago, he had thought he would die without seeing the Ranger again, and he understood that there was no time for anything but truth between them now. He confessed his attack on Frodo, and was surprised when Aragorn did not pull away. He felt a hand caress his neck, and thought he might break under the other man's compassion.

"Forgive me," he begged. "I did not see. I have failed you all."

Aragorn spoke of a warrior's exoneration through bravery, but Boromir was not fooled. Far more had been lost than his honour. A wave of hopelessness rose within him, fuelled by the knowledge that Aragorn still did not understand. "Leave it," he said, stilling Aragorn's hands. "It is over. The world of men will fall, and all will come to darkness." It was hard, so hard to say the words, but he would not leave them unsaid. "And my City to ruin." He tried to push the other man away, but Aragorn grabbed his arm and held it fast.

"I do not know what strength is in my blood, but I swear to you, I will not let the White City fall." The truth of the pledge shone in Aragorn's eyes. "Nor our people fail."

Hope that had long since been abandoned stirred in Boromir's heart. "Our people?" he asked, not quite daring to believe what he had heard. Aragorn nodded, and Boromir felt as if a great weight had been lifted from him. "Our people."

He was forgiven. The Horn had been heeded after all, and Gondor would have her champion. With a small smile of relief, he reached out for his sword. He could die in peace, now, as a warrior of Gondor. With Aragorn's help, he clutched the hilt to his chest. The air around him began to grow bright, and he struggled to hold what little remained of his strength. He owed Aragorn one last truth.

"I would have followed you, my brother," he said, knowing that Aragorn would understand. "My Captain." In the brightness beyond Aragorn's shoulder, Boromir thought he saw the shimmer of the White Tower, its banners flying high and defiant in the North Wind, and a sense of pride deeper than any he had ever felt swept over him, washing the pain away. "My King."

He kept his eyes on Aragorn's face until it was lost in a brilliant flash of light. Boromir heard on the wind the echoes of silver trumpets, and rejoiced. The White City had welcomed him home at last.

The End.

~~~

bardless@yahoo.com

Title: For He Is Long Away
Author: Sar (bardless@yahoo.com)
Pairing: A/B
Rating: R
Summary: Boromir's version of the story.
Warning: Boromir's story. Follows the major events of film canon. You know of what I speak.
Archive: FellowShip. All others, please ask.
Disclaimer: Characters, settings, and most of the situations are the original work of J.R.R. Tolkien. I'm just borrowing them for a bit of non-profit creative interpretation. There are instances where dialogue from the film is used, and I'm not claiming to be the first person to put those words in that particular order, either.
Notes: Most profuse thanks to Kathye, Ange, and special guest-beta Obi-Claire, who have been there every step of the way, from downtown Rivendell to the Suburbs of Lothlórien and beyond.
After my first viewing of FOTR (not having read the books) I complained and complained about how confusing the story was until a very patient friend sat down, explained the politics of Boromir and Aragorn, and suggested I give it another try. Nine viewings, three books, two mailing lists and half the Silmarillion later, I can only shudder to think of what I very nearly missed out on. This fic is for Kathye, and is largely her fault. *g*
Feedback of any sort would be much appreciated.

back to top


Home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Gallery] [Links] [Guestbook] [Writers' Resources] [Home]