Go to notes and disclaimers

The Elder Son
by Raederle


No more be grieved at that which thou hast done,
Roses have thorns, and silver fountains mud,
Clouds and eclipses stain both moon and sun,
And loathsome canker lives in sweetest bud.
—William Shakespeare

After depositing the remaining three Hobbits in the rooms that Elrond had provided for them, I was ready for some relaxation. I had found a quiet nook to unwind and get lost in a story from the First Age, when I heard footsteps approaching. I looked up and saw a man dressed in rich clothes wandering through the shrine to the Sword-that-was-broken. I remained still and was able to observe the stranger without being noticed myself. What have we here? Gondor from the looks of the insignia, nobility from the richness of the clothes, and the badge of the Stewards. One of Denethor's sons, then. Doesn't resemble the old man, but he looks almost exactly like his mother. Wonder if he wants to play? He would provide a good distraction from the serious matters surrounding us.

The man finally turned and noticed me. I was surprised by the innocence radiating from the Gondorian. Surely one of Denethor's sons would have the same cruel nature as his father? Perhaps looks were not the only thing he had gotten from his mother. After exchanging a few words with the man, who turned out to be the elder of the Steward's sons, I decided that seducing this Boromir would be a very good game indeed.

After the Council of Elrond and the creation of the Fellowship, I began my hunt in earnest. I realized that Boromir was angry with me for not stating my true identity when we first met, but I also sensed that the Steward's son was unwillingly fascinated by the man who would claim the throne of Gondor. I knew that I could have thrown the younger man up against a wall somewhere and kissed him into surrender, but I wanted to humble the pride of Denethor's son, as well. I wanted Boromir on his knees, begging me to take him, I wanted all resistance vanquished and the warrior completely submissive to my will. Therefore, I started a subtle campaign. I would meet Boromir's eyes during meals and hold his gaze for longer than was polite. I made a habit of brushing up against the warrior with some part of my body whenever we chanced to meet. One day I suggested that Boromir and I have sparring practice, and I showed up without a shirt on and let Boromir defeat me. The next day I suggested a rematch, and I showed up wearing only a loincloth, with my body oiled. I easily defeated the Steward's son and I made sure that the younger man knew that he had been allowed to win the day before. Not for nothing was I known as the greatest hunter in the North.

Gandalf finally noticed what I was doing after almost a week had gone by and decided to poke his long nose into the matter. He drew me aside, "I have seen your pursuit of the man from Gondor. You must cease at once. It is not seemly!"

"Why, because he is a man?" I countered. "You know I have not taken any female into my bed since Arwen bound herself to me."

Gandalf sighed, "Have you ever considered not having anyone in your bed? Many people go for long periods of time without sex and are none the worse for it."

I was puzzled, "Why would I do that?" Then I smirked, "Besides, he is Denethor's son, I still owe that old man some grief after the trouble he caused me. "

"Why do you hate Denethor so? He was never any threat to you."

"Because he is a petty, vindictive little man who does not deserve to be the son of someone like Ecthelion. He tried to arrange for my patrols to be ambushed by Orcs, just because his father loved me better. And he didn't do it just once; it had happened several times before I realized what he was doing. Luckily, Boromir doesn't resemble his father, or I might not be able to manage bedding him."

"I beg of you, you must not do this!"

"You still have not given me a good reason, Gandalf."

"Because he is your son!" the wizard thundered.

I froze, "What did you say?"

"You do recall seducing Denethor's wife a few weeks before you left Gondor, do you not?"

"It seemed the least I could do," I shrugged. "The old man she married wasn't keeping her happy, and he deserved to be cuckolded, especially by me."

"Denethor is the same age as you are, you know."

"He was born old. What about Finduilas?"

"Her belly was already ripening by the time you left to fight the Corsairs." I started to argue, but Gandalf interrupted me, "Yes, I know, Denethor was still bedding her, but as soon as I saw the child, I knew he was yours."

If it had been anyone but Gandalf saying these things to me, I would have doubted his sanity. But it was Gandalf, and so I was forced to believe. "A son," I was dazed, "I have a son."

"Yes, ironic isn't it? Denethor dotes on his oldest son beyond all reason and ignores his younger son. But his beloved Boromir is actually the child of his hated rival, and Faramir alone is his true-born son," Gandalf mused.

Boromir was naturally confused by my retreat from his seduction, so I decided to tell him about Arwen and I humbled myself to apologize.

I tried to feel as a father should about Boromir, but the principal thing I felt was fear. We were setting out to destroy the Ring of Power that had corrupted Isildur, and there was not one, but two men on the quest in whose veins ran that tainted blood. I would have to watch Boromir closely and I knew from his words at the Council that he did not understand our ancestor's fall.

As we traveled south along the western edge of the Misty Mountains, I came to respect Boromir's battle skills and his common sense. I found myself wanting to be closer to him, wanting to know this stranger who was also by some chance my child. But my responsibilities to the Fellowship and my heritage weighed heavily on me. The long hours of endless walking gave me much time for introspection, a thing I had tried to avoid all my life. As I walked behind Boromir, I was forced by his very presence to confront the results of my heedless actions.

My line was weak and corrupted, this fact I knew and had known since I was old enough to understand. Elrond had taught me well how Isildur had been weak-willed and power-mad, and how each passing generation since his time had become even more inadequate. And then the Half-Elven bastard had tried to convince me that I was the one who was meant to be the King of Men. His contradictory demands on me had made me nearly crazy. I had tried to hide from my destiny by fighting with the Dúnedain, by pretending to be no more than a son of the North. I had drunk far too much ale and smoked too much pipeweed in pursuit of forgetfulness. I had looked at my numerous affairs with anyone who would have me as proof of my degradation. And I had hoped with every breath I took that the One Ring would never be found and that my weakness would never be exposed to the rest of the world.

Arwen was convinced that I could overcome Isildur's folly and set right what had gone wrong all those years ago. She claimed that she had inherited her grandmother's foresight and she deemed that I would rise higher than any king before me, save Elendil. So she bound herself to me because she believed that it was the will of the Valar that the lines of Elrond and Elros be reunited. I did not share her conviction, but I was grateful to her for seeing some good in me. I tried to keep our vows to each other as best I could, though I believed that honor was foreign to my nature. Her love for me was the one bright spot in my life.

But now something else was illuminating the darkness of my spirit. Boromir had not grown up with tales of betrayal and failure by his forefathers. He had been brought up with tales of Mardil, the Good Steward, and all the other men of the House of Húrin, who had kept faith and kept their oaths and kept Gondor for the King. He had all the confidence of a man sure of his world and his place in it.

I had started to relax and enjoy Boromir's company by the time we were climbing the Pass of Caradhras. I had begun to think my fears of him groundless, when suddenly Frodo tripped and tumbled down the mountain to my feet. I helped the Halfling to his feet and then looked up just in time to see Boromir pick up the Ring.

"Boromir! Give the Ring to Frodo." I gripped the hilt of my sword unconsciously, instinctively ready to act if necessary. I saw the lustful look cross Boromir's face as his hand slowly came up to take the Ring. My anxious words finally penetrated the spell the Ring had laid on him and he gave it back to Frodo.

As my hand gradually relaxed from the sword I had not even realized I had grasped, I understood the choices that the Valar would put before me and the price I might have to pay for my tainted blood. If it came to protecting the Ringbearer or slaying the son I was coming to appreciate, I was not sure which I would choose. I could protect Frodo with my life or death as I had sworn to at Elrond's Council, but I did not know if I would be able to save him if it would require Boromir's death. So my oath to Frodo was yet another vow that had turned to ashes in my hands. I wanted nothing more than to flee the entire mess and lose myself forever in the forests of the North.

I followed Gandalf in a daze, walking and fighting only because such things were thoroughly ingrained in my behavior. I tried to watch Boromir to see if the Ring had taken him, but after the incident on Caradhras, he seemed to back to his usual sunny nature. The darkness of Moria oppressed him as it did us all, but he bore it better than most.

I stayed in my haze of unconcern until Gandalf fell in battle with a Balrog. I stood at the edge of the abyss, staring in disbelief at the place where my friend had been. I finally roused from my stupor to hear Boromir frantically calling my name as he bore the Ringbearer away from the disaster of Khazad-dûm. As we exited the mines, I realized grimly that I could no longer float along, content to let Gandalf make my decisions. It fell to me to lead the remnants of the Fellowship.

"Boromir, get them up."

"Give them a moment, for pity's sake," he begged me.

His compassion touched me, but I knew we could not linger, not until we had reached a place of refuge. "By nightfall these hills will be crawling with Orcs. We must reach the safety of the woods of Lothlórien."

He understood my urgency then, and helped me get the little ones moving. We reached the Golden Wood unharmed and finally the Fellowship was ushered into the presence of the Lord and Lady.

I faced the Lady Galadriel with my usual nervousness. She could see deep into the hearts of the beings who came within her wood, and I had never faced her with a clear conscience. She found me contemptible and was by no means happy with Arwen's choice. Her mental probing revealed my relationship with Boromir and my bouts of self-examination. She seemed smug that I was finally forced to deal with the results of my careless drift through my existence.

Boromir trembled and sweated under her gaze and I began to fear for him once again. He avoided the rest of the Fellowship as we settled in for the night and I tried to find the source of his uneasiness.

"Take some rest. These woods are well protected."

"I will find no rest here," he muttered. "I heard a voice in my head. She spoke to me of the fall of Gondor, but said that there is hope yet. It is long since we had any hope. My father is a noble man, but he grows weak and his rule is failing. Our people lose faith. He looks to me to set things right and I would do it. I would see the glory of Gondor restored."

I ground my teeth at this mention of Denethor and his unreasonable expectations of his elder son. My son! Denethor had done the same thing to Boromir that Elrond had done to me: placed responsibility for the entire world on our frail human shoulders.

Boromir turned to face me then and his face was full of animation and pride. "Have you ever seen it, Aragorn? Have you ever seen the Tower of Ecthelion glowing like a spike of pearl and silver, its banners caught high in the morning breeze? Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?"

I was humbled by his unmistakable love and dedication to his city. In all my life I had never found anything to spark my passion, never felt such feelings as my son had for his city far away. I answered him slowly, "I have seen the White City, long ago."

He leaned even closer to me, "One day our paths will lead us there. And the Tower Guard shall take up the call 'The Lords of Gondor have returned.' "

I could not bear to dash his hopes, could not bear to tell him that I would have to go to Mordor with Frodo, so I said nothing. He turned and went to his bed, while I sat sleeplessly through the night. I had an overwhelming urge to shield this son of mine from all the hurts and disappointments of this world. For the first time, I regretted that I had no part of his upbringing.

Galadriel and Celeborn gifted us with Elven boats and other things and sent us on our way. We made good time on the Great River and the days passed in relative peace among our Fellowship.

One night as we made camp beside the river, I came upon Boromir staring at a log floating by the bank. He had not realized the Gollum was still following us. He tried to talk me into going to Minas Tirith to regroup, but beneath his words I could hear the maniacal glee of the Ring.

I finally lost patience with his pleading and tried to walk away, but he grabbed my tunic and growled, "You've lived your whole life in fear, hiding from your heritage. But I tell you there is good to be found in the world of Men, and honor and decency."

"I would not bring the Ring within a hundred leagues of your city," I ground out.

I stamped away from him to my bedroll, trying to ignore the look of devastation on his face. I knew all about the weakness of Men and he was proof. I wanted no part of ruling Gondor. He was pushing me too hard; I would rather go to Mordor than to Minas Tirith and face my destiny. I could not do what he was asking of me. But one thing I could not deny: the respect I felt for him initially had grown into true friendship. I actually liked this stubborn, hard-headed Gondorian.

As I lay on my blankets and tried to sleep, memories of this journey with my surprising son flittered through my brain. And I realized that I was lying to myself again. I was pleased with him, pleased with his battle skills, his easy nobility, his care of those who depended on his strength. But I could take no responsibility for his virtues; they must have been instilled in him by the hated Denethor. It galled me, because the Steward had kept not just my kingdom for me, but my son as well. And I could hide from it no longer, for then I understood that I loved my son and I would give anything to have him know it.

All these years, the high and mighty of Middle Earth, Elves and wizards and sons of forgotten Númenórean nobility, had pushed me to accept my destiny and I had ignored them all. I had continued my debauched path in hopes that I would never face Isildur's choice. But I could not disregard Boromir's claim on me and his insistence that I be the King. Of all the peoples of these lands, only Boromir had that power over me and only he had the right to expect noble things from me. And I realized that night that maybe, with him at my side as my Steward, I could be what he wanted me to be. And for the sake of the love I bore for him, I would try to give my son what he desired.

We continued our drift down the Anduin and I pondered my new-found feelings for Boromir. As we passed the Argonath, I stared long and hard at the likeness of Isildur as if I had never seen it before. I had always cursed his name for bringing such disgrace to his descendants. I hoped that the youngest member of his line could escape that fate.

We beached the boats at Parth Galen and set up camp to wait for nightfall to cross the lake. Legolas was being his usual annoying, gloomy self, but I ignored him as I always did. I had forgotten that he was usually right about things such as approaching enemies. Bitterly do I now regret not listening to him. But perhaps the Valar had ordained our paths long before and nothing I could do would have changed our fate.

It was Merry who noticed that Frodo was missing and I immediately saw Boromir's shield lying abandoned by a tree. I no longer needed Legolas' Elven sight, for my heart was suddenly full of forebodings as I raced up the hill of Amon Hen.

"The Ring has taken Boromir." With these simple words, Frodo crushed any expectation I had that Boromir and I could find peace together. I knew that the choice I feared was on me at last, and I still had no idea how to steer my steps.

But I saw in Frodo's blue eyes his resolve to take the choice from me and hope flared in my heart. "I would have gone with you into the very fires of Mordor," I said as I released him to follow his own road. As I closed his small fingers around the Ring, I finally started to believe that I could change my fate, that I did not have to follow Isildur's path of destruction.

"Look after the others, especially Sam. He will not understand," Frodo asked. I nodded, and added in my mind, *Especially Boromir.*

I saw his sword glowing blue and sent him on his way, while I fought to stop the Uruk-hai that were charging up the hill. Gimli and Legolas were helping me when I heard the sound that chilled my blood and killed my hopes.

It was the Horn of Gondor and I raced down the hill to its call. I fought like a wild thing, slaying every Orc that stood between my loved one and me. I finally reached him, to see him kneeling at the feet of the beast that was trying to murder him, his eyes still full of fire. I leaped on the Uruk-hai and dispatched him as quickly as I could, then I ran to where Boromir lay.

He had managed to crawl to a tree, and my fear threatened to choke me, for he was pierced by three arrows in his chest. I tried to deny what my heart was telling me, tried to remove the arrows, but Boromir had already accepted his fate.

"Leave it. It is over. The world of Men will fail, and all will come to darkness, and my city to ruin."

I could not let him go without hope, no matter what it cost me. "I do not know what strength is in my blood, but I swear to you that I will not let the White City fall, nor our people fail."

"Our people... our people," he repeated with surprise and joy.

I nodded, trying to hold back my tears.

He buried his hand in my hair, "I would have followed you, my brother. My captain. My King."

And in that moment I was given the son that any man would be proud to claim, for he had courage beyond question, his honour had been redeemed, and he had given me all the loyalty in his generous heart.

And the Valar decided that I did not deserve such a gift, because in the next moment he was gone, lost to me forever.

And so I fought all the battles of the War of the Ring, not to reclaim my ancestor's throne or to marry Arwen, but to fulfill the only vow I had ever taken that meant anything to me.

And every time I swung my sword, I prayed that I would be found worthy of the trust given to me by my firstborn son.

~~~

Epilogue

King Elessar entered his rooms hot and tired after riding patrol east toward Cair Andros. He had never been able to completely stop being a Ranger once he had become King and he often rode out hunting orcs and other outlaws, sometimes accompanied by Éomer or Faramir.

Elessar's ears were filled with the sounds of his infant son screaming, as he walked in the nursery to the sight of Arwen desperately trying to calm the frantic baby.

The King was alarmed. "What is the matter with him?"

"He is teething," Arwen answered as she tried to quiet the child, but all her efforts were to no avail. "Poor little mite, it hurts, doesn't it?" She turned to her husband, "I have tried everything, but I cannot get him to settle. Elven babies do not carry on so."

"Let me take him for a bit," Elessar reached for the boy.

"But you are still in your armor, surely you want to bathe and change first?"

"No, that can wait," the King took his son and walked out into the garden that adjoined the royal suite. "There little one," he soothed, gently stroking the downy cheek. The baby had momentarily quieted and his eyes focused on the loose strap of his father's vambrace. His tiny hands reached out for the leather and soon he was gnawing happily on the band.

Elessar smiled mistily as he awkwardly removed the vambrace from his arm without dislodging the baby. "Should I tell you about the man who wore those, Eldarion? Shall I tell you about your brother?"

The heir to the throne of Gondor did not reply, but Elessar took his silence and steady chewing for consent. "He was a brave warrior and a good man. And his smile could light up the whole world. And I loved him with my entire being." The King sighed as memories washed over him. "His name was Boromir..."

~~~

raederleofan@gmail.com


Title: The Elder Son
Author: Raederle
Rating: PG13
Pairing: A/B with a twist
Feedback: Yes!
Summary: Aragorn's past is wilder than we knew
Disclaimer: Don't own 'em, not for profit
Beta: Your Cruise Director, thank you for the helpful comments and suggestions.
Notes: AU, not canon, although the story is technically possible, given the information in the Tale of Years. This story is "what if" Elrond had not been a kind and understanding foster-father, but one who believed the whole sins of the fathers thing. How would Aragorn have turned out? Could he forgive himself for being Isildur's Heir? So everybody is OOC. And I apologize beforehand for angsty, guilt-ridden Aragorn.

back to top


Home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Gallery] [Links] [Guestbook] [Writers' Resources] [Home]