Ephemera
by P.R. Zed


The crisp crack of the banner makes Boromir look up from his brother's concerned eyes to see the White Tree, symbol of Gondor's heritage, buffeted by the unruly air.

It seems he has always been thus, poised between family and duty. And yet he does not grudge his position.

Gondor's fall draws ever nearer and he will do what he must to preserve his people's way of life, to preserve his brother's very being, even embark on this mad quest for Imladris.

Clutching the hope that he will see his city and brother again, he sets off on his search.

###

His demeanour is arrogant, his words, boastful, and yet Aragorn knows this warrior of Gondor for a good man.

Perhaps it is because he can hear fear under Boromir's words, see vulnerability behind his soldier's stance. Perhaps it is because he knows that Boromir's dearest wish is for the safety of the city that has sent him to find answers and allies.

Boromir is a good man. But not a long-lived one. Aragorn can sense the currents of destiny preparing to overwhelm him.

And perhaps it is that destiny, more than his goodness, that draws Aragorn toward the Steward's son.

###

Turning on his side, Boromir caresses the cheek of his sleeping ranger.

His ranger. But for how long?

One of their party has been lost already. Death may await them all around the river's next bend.

And if they live? If they avoid the blades of Sauron's dread Orcs, if they halt the Enemy's plans to unleash darkness upon the world, still they must be parted. For Aragorn is betrothed to the Evenstar and Boromir will not stand between them.

The touch of soft lips on his mouth pulls him from thoughts of loss and back to the moment's joy.

###

przed@rogers.com

Title: Ephemera
Author: P.R. Zed
Pairing: Aragorn/Boromir
Disclaimer: The characters belong to the Professor; the idea belongs to me
Archive: FellowShip, przed.com/fic, Rugbytackle
Note: The full, multi-fandom Ephemera drabble series can be found
here: http://przed.com/fic/ephemera/index.html


Home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Gallery] [Links] [Guestbook] [Writers' Resources] [Home]