Go to notes and disclaimers

Men Die
by Poncing Ponies


It was Aragorn who made Legolas fall in love with men. Wing-foot and quick-sighted, Aragorn's tread fell lightly upon Mirkwood with easy care. Through a whiskered mouth, the man could curl his tongue into the clear accent of Rivendell. An air which reminded Legolas of Lord Elrond, proclaimed Aragorn the king of men more subtly than if he had come dressed in the richest of robes and gaudiest of crowns.

Legolas had been cautioned that men were lustful and violent. Only to find that though Aragorn slew Orcs with his hair wild and clothes greasy with blood, his face as fierce and twisted as the enemies he hacked down; when he was with the Evenstar, walking slowly across the streams in Rivendell, the darkness which dogged Aragorn's steps was but like the foul creature Gollum, an obedient, chained prisoner, in the steadfast care of a skilful guard.

Such revelations halted Legolas' night song and made him pause, to turn his face into the stolen view of a chaste kiss shared between man and she-elf. To feel a pining and an ache hitherto unknown, mingled with reverence and longing, until Legolas found himself pledged to Aragorn's leadership, on the quest of the Ring. Let the smog of Mordor cling to his hair and the gaze of the Eye follow him south-ward, the youngest Prince of Mirkwood would go where Estel led, and return him safely to his betrothed.

Resolved to do this, Legolas was prepared for danger and hardship, but there was one peril Legolas had not taken account of, and his name was Boromir.

Legolas first encountered Boromir on the last stretches of his journey to the Council of Elrond. Boromir seemed, in contrast to Aragorn, a graceless, arrogant mannered man. Who challenged Aragorn, callously questioning the firmness of resolve in the heir of Arathorn. With anger, Legolas had defended Aragorn, though it was hardly his place.

Boromir would dare suggest the Ring could be trusted with him, when it was plain to Legolas that the man of Gondor could not resist even the most trifle temptation—such as watching Legolas' face too long, in a dumbstruck, greedy manner when he thought no one was watching. Much to Legolas' displeasure, and perhaps the unease of the Hobbit Fordo, Aragorn gladly accepted Boromir as their comrade. And because he had given his word to protect the Ringbearer and aid Aragorn, Legolas thought it best to keep his own council and monitor Boromir in secret; lest the Elf-friends be tricked or caught unawares by Boromir's treachery.

Unsavoury as the task was, Legolas shadowed Boromir night and day, paying attention to his moods and dialogue. Legolas soon found, much to his surprise, that Boromir was hardy, carrying the weight of extra drinking water for the Hobbits across the grasslands when Bill was too loaded down.

Boromir could be friendly and enjoyed mock battles with Merry and that strange young Hobbit, Pippin. Aragorn particularly enjoyed speaking with Boromir about strategy and famous battles, on a number of evenings they sat close together drawing battlements in the dirt and gesturing enthusiastically at one another, sharing sword movements they found effective. The way Aragorn's face lost many years during those companionable moments made Legolas sigh wistfully, that they were bonded together as men, and him an elf.

At the foot of the cruel mountain, the Ring dangled in Boromir's grasp and Aragorn's hand moved to the hilt of his sword. Gandalf had his staff aimed at the small of Boromir's back and Sam his hands raised in fists. But Legolas' usually deft fingers were too numb to even reach for an arrow, his placid heart set aflame with doubt by the heated glare Aragorn directed at Boromir.

Legolas' unlikely suspicions were proven true in Lothlorien, when aggrieved by the loss of Mithrandir, he sought Aragorn out. By the remains of a feast laid out by the grey elves, Legolas saw Aragorn and Boromir locked in a kiss, their arms at their feet, their hands on each other's faces. It would appear Aragorn had no comfort to spare Legolas, for he has decided to share it with the man who drew sword along his side.

Confused and confounded Legolas could not understand how Aragorn could promise himself to Arwen and yet have dalliances on the side. To love one so high and pure in his mind, yet desire with his body another who is manly and hungry.

Aragorn smooths his fingers over the white trees on his armguard and sings an old battle song in remembrance of his fallen lover. Legolas turns his head away in sorrow, he feels uneasy in his chest where his Elven heart beats relentlessly, to see again in his memory Aragorn's steely face as he pushed the boat carrying Boromir's body over the fall. Legolas is ashamed of his own thought: now that is done, he will have no thoughts for any other than Arwen.

~~~

"Why is she crying?" frowning, Legolas asked Gimli. "And where is she going with Aragorn's clothes? Though I suppose they are worth a burning."

"Don't be stupid laddy, she is weeping with joy at his return and making off with his laundry," Gimli stroked his beard, a knowing gleam in his eyes. "That is what royal, warrior women do, to show they are sweet for a man. Very subtle, proper sort of signalling."

"But Aragorn cannot be interested in her!" Legolas glared at Eowyn's back, bent over with a sweaty load.

"And who would you have him interested in?" Gimli gave Legolas a hard look. "He is the heir of Arathorn, Eowyn will be good for him, they are well matched. She is regal and mortal."

"She is too thin and her hair too light," Legolas murmured, Eowyn's prettiness would be dull as mud compared to the beauty of the Evenstar.

At that moment, Aragorn went up to help Eowyn with the carrying and Eowyn whipped her fair hair over her other shoulder and beamed up at him. Legolas cringed to see her smile sweet as a girl-child, her pale blue eyes crinkling. In the grey battlement of Helms Deep, Eowyn was a wisp of sunlight dancing before storm charged clouds.

Legolas scowled and took deep breaths, tightened his hands on his elbows but to no avail. His temper flared and Legolas shot away for the armoury, taking Aragorn's sword with him as he had noticed it needed cleaning. Wiping away warg fur and orc blood from the blade, checking its straightness and polishing it with a piece of silk cloth, Legolas meditated on his anger, dissipating it through reasoning. In the end deciding that though he looked up to Aragorn and worshipped the lady Arwen, it would be unbecoming for him to so jealously guard Aragorn's heart. Let Aragorn do what he will with it, it was out of Legolas' hands.

Aragorn accepted Legolas' apology gladly, they held each other's shoulders in a comradely gesture. And Legolas saw that Aragorn's face was full of affection for him, the new openness between them cast Legolas deeper in his esteem for the man. A star of hope rose for them and ere the bellow of a melancholy horn pierced the silent, fearful camp. Legolas dashed for the front gates, he came to a stop when he saw what was outside, shocked. Aragorn caught up and bypassed Legolas, his voice exalted as he greeted the Elven army that had arrived, embracing Haldir until the elf general blushed. Gladdened, Legolas ran around helping with the placement of Elven archers, deriving the best strategy using his own skill, his new knowledge of the Lorien bow and his observations of orc methods throughout their trek.

"Aragorn, I have set them in two divided lines, one atop and one behind the outer walls, we have the quicker, lighter arrows which splinter to strike as many of their front runners as possible; then we will have volleys of the longer, deadlier spear-arrows for the rest of them!" Legolas called as he ran to Aragorn's temporary quarters, a drafty little room crammed between the armoury and a storage cell for horse leathers.

"That is good, Legolas," Aragorn called back huffily. "Very argh! well thought out."

"Aragorn?" Legolas stepped inside.

Though there were no candles, Legolas could see very clearly in the moonlight that Aragorn had his back pressed against a wall. Legolas could see the cracks in them and the drips of water which fell past Aragorn's ear and splattered on Haldir's golden shoulder guards. For Aragorn was leaning against the stone wall and Holder bent over Aragorn's chest, rolling chain mail out of the way, he tended with open mouth and lashing tongue to a pink nipple.

Legolas closed his eyes. If only he could never open them again, it would be too soon! Legolas meant to pivot on his heels and leave but Aragorn called out to him in Elvish: "Legolas, my friend, will you not stay?"

Legolas snapped his eyes open wide and fixed them on Haldir, who was infuriatingly unhurriedly moving across Aragorn's bosom, smirking into the man's chest hair.

"Do not worry, Aragorn, you need not speak to me of discretion," Legolas said evenly though his own chest was heaving with fury. "I will not tell anyone of these... encounters of yours. Who you chose to warm your bed is non of my concern. You are my friend, you are a good leader, that is all I should need to know."

"Legolas is upset," Haldir's eyes glittered like sapphire as they swivelled to the side to look mockingly upon Legolas. "He has told himself many lies in regards to this, white ones big as Mallon leaves falling in Lothlorien; but now his blood races too quickly through his veins, I think he will come to realise..."

"If I can ask you this then, Aragorn," stopping Haldir mid-sentence, Legolas swept up to Aragorn and demanded. "How can a man be so admirable, to possess all the virtues desirable and yet be so fickle?"

Aragorn looked stricken by the accusation but Legolas could not help himself. "I am an Elf and a young one for our kind, but if I were to love, I would love once and for all time. My love would be deep and ever patient, it will put down roots in my heart and bloom only when the one I love has the same to bind me."

"Legolas," Aragorn's eyes had gone soft and misty, a small sad smile curved his mouth. Aragorn reached out and cupped Legolas' tearful face in his right hand, Aragorn whispered: "Men die."

Legolas stood dumbfounded.

"Elves can too," Haldir added coolly, tearing his mouth away from Aragorn's navel. "It is much wiser to take pleasure and small portions of love where one can, fair princeling, which is what Aragorn and I were doing before you barged in and started to compose a sonnet."

"I will not swear undying, single-minded love to you Legolas," Aragorn said sincerely, his hand still on Legolas' face, now caressing his downy cheek. "I did not to Arwen and be in no doubt that I love you more. I am restless with thoughts of you at night, I can adore the ground you walk upon for hours, I have not had so close a friend for years. I have seen how you watch me, I know you love me."

And Aragon tugged Legolas forwards, pulling him slowly into a kiss.

"Astounding," Legolas heard Haldir say with wonder. "He does, he weeps, Aragorn how did you manage to be loved by one so beautiful, his tears are stars and his mouth..."

Haldir drew himself up, pressing his lips against the twitching corner of Legolas' mouth.

"Insufferable mind-reader," Legolas hissed but turned his head obligingly, licking Haldir's tongue into his mouth. "Did you count on this to happen and tricked your way into having two bodies to warm you tonight?"

"Of course, I packed the army as an after thought," Haldir retorted bitingly, with teeth on the tenderest spot on Legolas' neck.

Aragorn sighed as he pulled them both onto his bed. "And this is why no man should ever take to him two elves at the one time, they will start a conversation."

Legolas laughed and grabbed for the blankets before Haldir could steal them, he threw it over their heads and dived under, still laughing happily losing himself between Aragorn and Haldir.

Though Aragorn was not as peerless as he had thought, Legolas did not in the end fall out of love with men.

For men die and elves can too.

End

~~~

insinity@brturbo.com

Title: Men Die
Author: Poncing Ponies
Website: http://www.ravenswing.com/~boots/warn.html
Archiving: Library of Moria Archivists Challenge—Two Towers Movie
Slash
Pairing: Aragorn/Boromir, Aragorn/Legolas/Haldir
Rating: R
Spoilers: Two Towers
Disclaimer: Tolkien, Jackson, New Line.
Summary: Legolas is indignant on Arwen's behalf.

back to top


Home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Gallery] [Links] [Guestbook] [Writers' Resources] [Home]