Go to notes and disclaimers

Mending Broken Hearts
by Osiris Brackhaus


Taking in a deep breath, King Elessar set the slender ebon box on the desk in his private study.

"You might find this useful one day," Gandalf had whispered secretively when he smuggled the box's content into Elessar's palm on his day of leaving.

Forcing his attention away from the small container, the King looked around his room indecisively, then walked over to one of the numerous stained-glass windows and opened it.

Bright sunlight wafted into the room, bringing with it the scents and sounds of spring. It was the fifth month of the fourth year of the reign of King Elessar, and he smiled gently as he heard the voices of children playing in the lower parts of the city. Elessar was very fond of his study, high up of one of the towers of his palace, his new home, here in Minas Tirith.

He often came here when the hustle of court-life and the endless chatter of politics grated on his nerves, and watching the city below from his silent study, he almost always managed to rekindle the calm within him that he had acquired when he had been a mere ranger of the north.

How long ago that seemed, Elessar mused.

Leaning his elbows on the windowsill, he let the warmth of the early afternoon's sun caress his face, and though his eyes wandered down through the city, out over the fields to the ruins of the ancient capital of Osgiliath, his thoughts always came back to his study and the little black box on his desk.

For there had been another reason for him to choose these rooms for himself, a reason that, except maybe the Queen herself, nobody alive could know. For this had also been the private study of the late Prince of Gondor, Boromir the Fair, or Boromir the Tempted, as he was often called these days. The first and only member of the fellowship of the ring to have fallen. The man who had given many a worry to the ranger Strider, another member of that Fellowship. The man who had died in said ranger's arms. The one man that ranger had loved with all his heart.

King Elessar sighed and closed his eyes. True, he had been that ranger. But that was so many years ago by now. And he had loved that man. In a way, he still did.

But so much had happened since then. So much had changed. The war had been over for several years now, actually lawn was beginning to grow in the ruins of Barad-Dur. He was a married man by now, his first son born not even a year ago. The Aragorn, ranger of the north, that Boromir had come to know and love, was no longer.

He was King now, High King Elessar of Gondor, the Elf-stone.

There was no place in his life anymore for such frivolous affections. Shouldn't be, at last.

A dirty little smile touched the corners of the King's mouth and eyes.

Frivolous, he thought, how true. His eyes were sparkling as he remembered that one night he had shared with Boromir as his lover, and the memory as usual did not fail to make his body shiver. He could almost smell the prince's body close to him, feel the heat his massive chest had radiated, feel his callused hands all over his own exposed skin.

He missed Boromir so terribly.

Though there truly was no reason why he shouldn't be utterly happy with what he had achieved since then.

The country, nay, the world was at peace, his City had been rebuilt most splendidly, his people prospered.

His wife, the Queen Arwen, was a constant light in his life—beautiful as no mortal wife could be, wise, gentle and caring. A little too wise and caring, perhaps.

For it had been she who had, one mild spring-night not so long ago, noticed the growing shadow on her husband's heart.

"My beloved husband," she had said, her voice mellow and deep as ever. "It is spring, and all the world around you rejoices."

He had turned to her, a questioning look on his face.

"All is well, yet when you feel unwatched, you look as if your heart were broken."

She softly touched his face, her deep love plainly written on her lovely face.

"What ails you?"

"I—" he had begun, realising that he had not known what darkened his lonely hours himself.

"Is it your lost love, once more?" she asked softly, her voice showing nothing but care, nothing but love.

He had already told her what had happened between him and Boromir on that fateful night in the forest of Lórien, years ago. That his love for that fiery-tempered prince had been awakened, and that it had refused to die when Boromir himself had died in his arms.

He had carried this lost love for many years, and as human emotions always will, it had grown out of the confines in Elessar's heart where to it had been exiled. And now, this love demanded attention.

So, that night, he had merely nodded, grateful for a wife that simply took him into her arms, holding him, comforting him.

After a long while, though, she said:

"He is dead. Please, Love, let me help you to let him go. As much as I'd wish for you, there is no way at all to bring back your brickheaded Gondorian Prince."

She smiled at her use of the affectionate insult Elessar often used in private when speaking of Boromir, but seeing the utter astonishment in her husband's face slowly changed her smile into a questioning frown.

'A gondorian brick...', that expression rang a bell of alarm deep in the King's mind.

And then he remembered.

'Gondorian bricks are no good to rest your head on, young King, yet sometimes they are of more use in beds than in graves!' Gandalf had shouted when he stood at the railing of the ship that would carry him into the West.

Could he have known? Could he have guessed? All Valar, if he had known!

The shock that the old wizards parting gift might somehow be connected to Boromir dazzled Elessar. Boromir was dead! Of what use could that gift be by now?

Curse that wizard, Elessar had thought more than once since that night. Curse him, and curse the fact that his wisdom had to be paired with such a quirky kind of humour!

Surely the old fox had intended something with his gift, and even giving his advise in such a riddled way surely would prove most wise in the end.

But right now, that insecurity almost drove King Elessar crazy.

What could Gandalf have intended with his cryptic remark? Had he truly known about the feelings between the King and Boromir? Or had his riddle about gondorian masonry nothing to do with this, instead hinting at something concerning the way in which to govern that country? Or something entirely else?

Damn that cryptic old man!

If Gandalf still were around, he'd probablybe sitting somewhere, smoking his pipe, watching silently with his eyes sparkling of subdued mirth.

Damn him!

King Elessar left his place at the window, sighing, pacing though his study with annoyed insecurity.

During the last days, he had done some research of his own concerning the content of that ebon box on his desk. The small, ivory-coloured thing, no bigger than a palm, shaped like a pebble, like an elongated and flattened egg, had been inscribed with elven runes of the most obscure and ancient kind. His wife had never before heard of such a thing, and though she knew the runes to be of the oldest kind, she could only read a scattered few of them. Even Elessar, who had grown up among the elves in the house of Elrond at Rivendell, had had to do some heavy research until the two of them finally unravelled the meaning of the inscription.

And what they had read only increased his doubts and irritation.

'Woe!' had been the first word they could translate. 'Woe to all those who have broken oath, for bound to serve they are, and neither distance nor death will keep their Liege from calling them back!'

What, by the Valar, was that to mean? Boromir hadn't broken oath, especially not to him, and the inscription did not really clarify the artefact's intended use.

What had Gandalf thought when he gave this thing to him? Had he really intended something beyond leaving one last riddle, one last thing to remember him by?

Damn!

If the thought hadn't been so painfully tempting, Elessar would have merely shrugged and left that thing in one of the castle's deep cellars to rot. But what if?

What if the old fox had known, had seen the distant pain in the eyes of the newly crowned King? What if Gandalf had found a way to bring back Elessar's beloved Prince? What if?

King Elessar once more leaned himself onto the windowsill, watching his city.

Spring had been unusually mild this year, and everywhere soft green leaves graced the white walls of Minas Tirith. The scent of flowers was in the air, the land beyond the city's walls fresh and green as far as eyes could see. Bright and gentle, the sun banished all memories of winterly gloom, and all life was buzzing and humming in anticipation of a mild and lovely summer.

Even the study of the King seemed to glow with life, the sun casting tiny spots of coloured light through the stained-glass windows, some dust-motes glittering in the air like so many minute stars.

Elessar sighed. Why, surrounded by all this joy and beauty, whydid his heart still feel so sad and heavy? Why couldn't he rejoice like all the others?

He sighed again.

Why was it that his heart, after all these years, was still bound to this man? Why had there to be that cold feeling of loss and loneliness whenever he tried to feel happy and beloved?

He felt ashamed that he could not be a husband as faithful to his wife in heart as he was in body. She only cared for his well-being, disregarding her own feelings.

And he couldn't simply ignore the fact that he was a married man, now, the King of a country with a reputation to protect and expectations to fulfil.

First of all, he would never dare anything that might hurt his beloved wife, lovely Arwen who even had urged him to write down his memories of his time with Boromir, hoping that it would ease his troubled mind. He had done so, and she never even once had asked to read any of this.

But then, writing down his emotions had only increased his feeling of loss, his feeling of being stuck in a cold void, unable to move, unable to grow.

'Boromir,' Elessar thought to himself. 'Boromir, why'd you have to go? Leave me here, though you had sworn to be at my side? Though you had sworn to protect me from harm both in body, heart and soul?
Yes, I am loved.
Yes, I am respected and adored.
Yet without you, there is no-one here to make me feel alive. I am choking.
You had given me your oath never to harm me, yet you—'

Elessar's thoughts abruptly stopped.

'Could that be? Could it be that there truly was an oath Boromir had broken in dying?'

King Elessar shook his head, trying to get that irrational thought out of his mind. 'No, it couldn't be. Definitely that was too far fetched by any means. Truly too far fetched.'

'But very Gandalf.'

'Damn that old bastard!'

This was too mad. There was no rational reason why he should even so much as believe that there was a chance to recall the dead. Far less, if such means would exist, should he waste that precious gift on a mere Prince of Gondor, as beloved as he might have been, when so many of humanity's heroes had died so prematurely.' And then—if he'd really brought back the man he had loved? Would it be the same? Would they still love each other? Would he stay for his mortal life-span or would he fade away after mere minutes?

Elessar hid his face behind his hands, closing his eyes, trying to calm the circular racing of his thoughts and failing miserably.

'Why, why by all the wisdom of the Valar, why should he try to call back his lost Love who might not even recognise him anymore with an artefact that he did not know how to use into a world that most probably would make his Boromir suffer?'

Because, if he didn't at least try, he'd suffer for the rest of his life of a broken heart.
Because, after all this time, he still loved him.

Elessar could have screamed.

There was no logical reason, every fact advised him against this— and yet, his heart sat there, looking at him, wide-eyed like a puppy, melting away his resolve like the sun had molten the last traces of snow.

'This is madness', the King thought to himself. 'And if ever I am to meet Gandalf again, I'll make him eat his hat for this.'

'Or, more probably, I'll kiss him. If it works.'

Elessar opened his eyes again, finally having come to a conclusion, though a conclusion whose possible consequences he dreaded.

'By the Valar, I had thought that the time of trials had ended with the death of the last orc.'

He grinned sadly.

'Well, once more I see that the worst enemy man can face is his own heart. And once more, I have lost most flamboyantly.'

'So then', the King who had once been a mere ranger thought to himself, 'I have to try.' 'And better now, for if I only wait one moment longer, reason might get the better of me.'

He left his place at the window, turning towards the desk nearby. The small black box still stood there, unadorned, apparently harmless. Its lid slid open easily, revealing the inner lining of precious dark velvet. That—thing—still lay inside the mould that had accommodated it's shape for several years by now, and when he took the artefact into his hand, it still felt more like a pebble than anything magic.

'But not all that doesn't glitter is not gold', he thought with a wry smile.

'Please forgive me, Boromir, if I fail. Please forgive me, Arwen, if not. Gandalf, I'll get you for this.'

He went over to the windows, pulling one of the comfortable armchairs with him, feeling that pale white thing in his hand slowly lose it's coolness.

He placed the chair in such a way that he sat with his back facing to the room, his face turned towards the windows. Tiny freckles of red and golden light danced on the floor in front of him, and with silent bemusement the King watched the faint, sparkling clouds of dust that rose out of the upholstery when he sat down.

Sighing one last time, he braced himself, leaning back, closing his eyes. The artefact in his hands felt warm now, as if warmed as well by the sun, friendly and expectant. Elessar relaxed, emptying his mind from all but silence, trying to find a way how to initiate whatever magic was hidden in this thing.

'Boromir,' he thought clearly.

Lover

What was that? Had he only imagined that or had there truly been an answer in his head?

'Boromir!' he thought again, this time with more force.

Lover

There was something! Faint, utterly far away, painfully weak. Yet, undeniably, it was there.

The thought that maybe, as incredible and illogical it may seem, there was a chance to see his lover again, even merely to hear his voice, released a sudden burst of pain in the heart of King Elessar, pain that long, too long had been denied. Tears stung behind his closed eyes, and he felt his throat tighten with excitement.

'Lover?', he thought, his mind hard to control, hard to keep himself from bursting into mental chatter.

I love...

'Was it getting fainter? Valar, what am I doing wrong? Why was his voice so far away?'

love...

'Oh gods, don't leave me again! Don't leave! Love, come to me!'

love

Elessar franticly searched his mind for an answer, for an idea to keep his lover's mind from slipping away, from disappearing now that he had only found him after such a long time. He knew he couldn't stand to lose him once more. And then, gratefully, he remembered the artefact's cryptic inscription.

Pulling together all royal command he could gather in the turmoil of his mind, he mentally drew on every bit of majesty, of unquestionable regality he could come up with.

'Boromir, son of Denethor, I name you oathbreaker!' he thought with all the volume a thought could have. 'Boromir, I call you!'

I love you...

He was getting stronger!

'Boromir, I call you to fulfil what you had sworn.'

I love you.

'Boromir, you Liege is calling you!'

I love you, and wherever I may go, I will never forget.

Suddenly, with an audible crack, the artefact in the King's hands crumbled, brittle like an egg-shell. Simultaneously, the mental contact with his lover snapped and, terrified, Elessar opened his eyes.

He blinked in worry and astonishment when he saw the bright golden glow radiating from his still-clenched hands. The light was getting brighter and brighter, pouring out between his fingers, shining though his hands, scintillating bright enough to outshine the already brilliant sun.

Bewildered, Aragorn opened his hands, and blazing white light filled the room, blinding him, blotting out all colours and shapes in the room, leaving darkly etched shadows outlined against brilliant white. Shading his eyes with his left arm, Elessar stood up, slowly seeking cover behind the chair he had been sitting in, yet unable to take his eyes away from that painfully white blaze in front of him.

Strange bluish shapes began to dance in Elessar's sight, his eyes tearing, but whatever happened in his study, he would not take away his look.

At first, the King was insecure, maybe his over-taxed eyes only imagined shadows where none were—yet then, he was sure.

A darker shape was forming inside the blaze, faint and small at first, hovering a few paces in front of him, between the chair and the window.

And it was growing. Growing in size as well as in solidity, and soon, to his breathtaking bewilderment, Elessar recognised a vaguely human shape inside that painful light. Standing upright, arms close to his sides, it was the silhouette of a man that took shape—and there was no mistake in guessing whose blocky frame it was that manifested itself in front of him.

How often had he seen his broad shoulders in his dreams, remembered how his heavy body moved with strength and agility in combat.

Though rationally he was sure that it was truly impossible, the King's heart didn't doubt for a single thought: it was the body of Boromir, son of Denethor, that somehow, wondrously, manifested inside his study.

Then, all of a sudden, with almost audible alacrity, all the light that had been blazing in the room seemingly was sucked into Boromir's silhouette, giving it more density, filling it's edges, disappearing, leaving nothing but a black human figure standing in front of faintly glowing, pale stained-glass windows, framed by bluish, dancing afterimages of light.

Elessar straightened, blinking tears out of his eyes, bewildered close to shock.

He tried to think of anything to say, of anything to do, anything to word the feelings in his heart, but once more, his lover took initiative before him.

For the dark shadow in front of him swayed, turning partially around himself, falling to the ground like a huge tree felled by man. The painful thud of a body hitting hard ground shocked Elessar out of his confusion, and with a single jump he was beneath his lover's body, looking for him, trying to see what had caused his fall.

When he cradled Boromir's head in his arms, his heart rejoiced, flowing over with joy, for this unclad body was real, he was real, he was back into his arms. And yet, at the same moment, flashes of fear tore though him, foralthough Boromir was apparently unharmed his eyes fluttered, his mouth moving uncontrollably, his breathing unsteady, failing.

Too close was this scene not to conjure memories of his lover's death into the mind of King Elessar, and the only thought he could gather was:

'Not again!'

What if this monstrous thing had only brought back the body, only the shell, unable to live without it's soul? By the One, no, that mustn't be!

"Boromir!" Elessar said, his voice almost choked by tears.

"Boromir, can you hear me?"

The breath of the body in the arms of the King turned low, it's trembling subsided. Elessar could not believe this, feared to have lost his love a second time, crying silent tears of pain and anguish.

"Aragorn?"

Coarse and husky, but undeniably Boromir's voice, the sound shattered all thoughts in Elessar's head.

"Gods," Boromir said weakly, one of his arms moving slowly, his eyes in and out of focus. "Who—who dressed you up like this—" A fit of coughing interrupted Boromir's sentence, and Elessar took him into his arms, holding him as tight as he could, sobbing and crying like a little child.


His lover had returned. Finally, undreamed of, he had returned.

He sat there with him, crying, sobbing, holding him as if this body were the most precious thing in all the world.

Which, to him, it truly was.


End of Part One.

~~~

Part II

OsirisBrackhaus@aol.com

Title: "Mending Broken Hearts"
Author: Osiris Brackhaus (OsirisBrackhaus@aol.com)
Pairing: Aragorn/Boromir
Part: 1 of 5
Rating: PG 13
Feedback: Yes please! Any kind of—I'd like to know how to improve my skills!
Setting: About two years after the end of ROTK
Warnings: AU (?, see 'Setting')
Summary: Several years after Boromir's death, King Elessar remembers a strange gift that had been given to him by Gandalf on his parting. Maybe the Dead could truly be called back, bringing with them a chance to mend broken hearts...
Info: Though nice as a stand-alone fic, it might be more fun when put in context with 'A Brother, Captain & King' and "A Warriors Lament"
Credits: To Beryll, my never-tiring muse, for encouraging me most effectively: one moment begging for and additional page on her knees, next moment threatening me with the cat-o-nine-tails if I'd fail to deliver. (GRIN) This story would never have been written without you in the first place, and you take care to make me work as fast as I can. Love you. (winks)

back to top


Home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Gallery] [Links] [Guestbook] [Writers' Resources] [Home]