Go to notes and disclaimers

A Matter of Succession
by Nadja Lee


I've been here often yet I'm always stunned by the beauty of this place," I say as I walk through one of my palace's many gardens. It is a beautiful spring day, the sun is shining, birds are singing and the smell of fresh flowers and grass reaches my nose.

"I came here often as a child," Boromir says and as we walk on he reaches down and picks a small white flower. He smells it before he turns to me and with laughter in his eyes places it in the hair band I wear so not to have my long hair fall into my eyes. I allow the flower to stay where he has placed it and with a smile I draw him into a quick kiss.

"I shall give you flowers more often if I'm thanked like that every time," Boromir teases. I laugh as we walk on. We reach a stone bench and I sit down. Boromir sits beside me.

"This is life," I say happily as I leads back and lifts my head to the heavens and enjoys the warm sunlight on my face. The sounds of spring, the birds and insects, make me feel dozy.

"Come," Boromir asks and pulls my hand. I let him pull me up and allow myself to be dragged to the grass nearby which is surrounded by flowerbeds. He sits down on the warm grass and pulls me down with him. With a gleam in his eyes Boromir leans back, placing his head in my lap and closes his eyes, letting the sun warm his face.

"Now, this is life," he says and I smile. He's right; this is perfect. It's not often we have a whole day to ourselves. Matters of state must come first and in the beginning we barely saw each other during the day. Now, five years since we first met and four years since the war ended, things have calmed down somewhat. Most of the rearrangements I wanted to make regarding the law, our politics and crime and punishment, I have already made. The trouble now is making people follow it. In the beginning I sensed a great reluctance against me from the nobles and it didn't help that I reduced their power and gave more power to the state and to me. For example the nobles used to be able to punish their own people for crimes and not let their verdict go through the state. As this practise resulted in many unfair convictions I revoked that law and said all trials are to go through one central justice system.

The first law I revoked was the law forbidding Boromir and me to be together. Over the years the nobles have turned their distaste for me into distaste for Boromir. He's an easy target for them because they'll be able to draw on support from the church though I know they'll find no support from the common people. Boromir is well loved by the people for his bravado in battle, his love for his country and his concern for the common man and woman. Unlike most nobles, Boromir talks with the servants. When I was looking for him the other day I found him in the kitchen talking with the women there about their children, the coming harvest and that the palace had way too many stairs.

When I first met him I thought him too proud to do any of that. But I quickly found that his pride wasn't in himself or him being a nobleman. His pride was in his country, the common men and women who lived, worked and died there.

Boromir always says that I'm a loner and he's right. That's what makes us so perfect together in every way. He's my connection to the people, he sees and hears everything. The nobles may dislike him but the people adore him and well they should for he cares for them; their troubles are his. It is through him that I hear what the common man thinks of my decisions and rule. It is through him I learn all what the nobles do not wish me to know.

"Your Highness. Your Highness," I hear one of my aids call for me. I look toward him as he approaches and he stops at a respectful distance from where Boromir and I sit. Boromir still has his head in my lap, his eyes closed and he looks like he's sleeping but I can see the corners of his mouth turn up in a smile. He has had to endure much because he's my partner and lover but he has also found a sense of humour in it all for he, like I, finds their intolerance of our relationship annoying and stupid. At first the nobles' distaste made him depressed and sad but quickly he began to enjoy baiting them, teasing them. To survive all the feasts and banquets I unfortunately have to hold for them, I think that humour is the only way to look at things and look upon them.

"This better be important, aid. I said I didn't want to be disturbed," my tone has just enough of steel in it to make the young man seem nervous. Boromir smiles at me though he still enjoys the warm sunlight and his eyes remain closed.

"Lord Kalimal is here, Your Highness. It is about the matter of succession," the aid says, his voice sounding insecure and his eyes are lowered to the ground.

"Not again," Boromir growls and reluctantly opens his eyes and looks at me. Lord Kalimal is one of the biggest advisories we have at court. He believes himself to be a very righteous and Godly man and is therefore against my relationship with Boromir. Every time we see him he'll ask me how Arwen is, and when I'll marry and have children, reminding me the kingdom needs an heir. His rudeness towards Boromir has several times almost made me sign his death warrant but unfortunately I can't. He hasn't done anything illegal and if I want to rule fairly I can't remove, ban or kill people who don't like my choices or me. Though at moments like these I'm tempted to rethink that philosophy.

"We have to see him," I reluctantly say to Boromir and bend down and kiss him on the lips.

"Can't we say we aren't here?" Boromir complains as he stands up and offers me a hand up. I smile at him as I let him help me to my feet.

"I'm afraid not," I say and caress his cheek. I know this must be hard for him, he's a proud man and if I wish to kill Kalimal every time he insults Boromir with his hidden meanings and words, I know Boromir wants it several times more.

"This way if you please, Your Highness, my Lord," the aid says and with Boromir by my side we walk towards one of the big halls. The doors to the Red Room, one of the rooms used for receiving guests are opened for us and the aid introduces us; "His Royal Highness, Aragorn, King of Gondor and Boromir, Lord Of Gondor, Captain-General of the Royal army. Lord Kalimal."

Kalimal bows for us and I give as small a nod of my head as possible. Boromir refuses to acknowledge his bow at all.

"Your Highness," Lord Kalimal says, his voice like a snake's and his eyes likewise.

"What brings you here, Lord Kalimal? I have important business to attend to," I say as I go and sit behind my desk, Boromir stands behind me with one hand resting on my stool. Lord Kalimal remains standing, as I haven't given him permission to sit.

"I'm here regarding the matter of succession," Lord Kalimal says and completely ignores the fact that Boromir is even in the room.

"As I've said before I'll tend to this matter when I see fit. Is that all?" my voice is hard and dismissive.

"I've allowed myself to look into the matter and according to the old law, the King shall name his successor within a year after his coronation and as Your Highness knows it has been four years now," Kalimal says, a hint of triumph in his voice.

"That law holds no power anymore. It was made because in the old days war was common and if the King didn't fall in battle, the nobles weren't late to try and make up for that to gain personal power and influence," Boromir says, his voice hard and his right hand rests on his sword handle, itching to use it.

"I know of this law you speak and it is hardly a law but more a tradition. I'm under no obligation to name a successor within a given time just as long as it's done before my death and I don't intend to die for many years yet," I say coldly. Kalimal's attempts are getting more and more annoying each day.

"Then I'm sure Your Highness knows that your heir must have your blood in his veins," Kalimal says smoothly. My eyes shoot daggers at him. The nerve of that man!

"I'm aware of this. You'll take your leave. NOW," I order harshly and wave him dismissively away. With a bow and a smile of triumph he leaves.

"One of these days...." Boromir says hatefully.

"I know but unfortunately he has a point. I should name my successor," I lean back in my chair and sigh deeply.

"Is it true your successor must have your blood in his veins?" Boromir asks softly and I can hear his doubt and fear of losing me in his voice.

"Yes, I'm afraid so," I admit as I take his left hand and kiss it in an attempt to reassure him all will be right.

"What will you do?" he asks softly.

"I'm not sure but we'll do it together," I say and draw him down and into a kiss.

~~~

"What have you found out?" I ask Boromir when we later that day sit in the library, tons of books spread out before us. Boromir slams his book shut in despair.

"Nothing! That coward is right. It seems a Royal heir has to have Royal blood in his veins," Boromir says frustrated. I shake my head. There has got to be a way out. There has to be. I can't lose Boromir now. Not after all we have been through. Not after only four years together. Think, I just have to think....

"Wait a minute. Did you say that my heir had to have Royal blood in his veins?" I ask, a plan forming in my mind.

"Yes," Boromir confirms, looking puzzled at the smile that spreads over my lips.

"That's the exact words?"

"Yes. 'A Royal heir to the throne of Gondor has to have Royal blood in his veins to rule the land'," Boromir reads from the book.

"Then it doesn't say what line of royalty, now does it?" I ask with a smile. Boromir smiles widely.

"No, it doesn't," he confirms, knowing where I'm going.

"Which royal houses do we know that we can trust to take over Gondor after my death?" I ask, a gleam in my eye.

"I shall send for Legolas," Boromir says and stands to go to the door to do just that.

"Wait a moment," I ask and he stops.

"What is it? We both trust Legolas and he's an Elf. The people and the nobles will like him. He'll be perfect to lead Gondor," Boromir says and I can hear the eagerness in his voice to get this matter settled for if we can't find an heir to Gondor....

"Legolas is heir to Mirkwood. He already has a Kingdom to inherit. He cannot rule two Kingdoms unless Gondor and Mirkwood are ruled as one and we want Gondor to keep its independence," I say, thinking about our options.

"What about Arwen?" Boromir thinks out loud, slowly going back towards me. "She is of The Royal House of Fingolfin."

"Women can't inherit Kingdoms," I dismiss the idea, leaving no room for argument. Boromir and I have spoken of this matter several times. He thinks it unfair that women can't inherit Kingdoms. As he sees it a woman can be just as great a warrior and statesman as a man; sometimes maybe even better. I'm not saying I can't see his reasons but it is a thought I can't agree on.

"No, not her. One of her sons," Boromir says. I look puzzled at him. Sure, I know she and Legolas are good friends now and I have my suspicions that they may be more but...

"Arwen sent a message for us today. In the confusion I forgot to mention it, I am sorry," Boromir says apologetically.

"Nothing to forgive, Meleth nin [Elvish for 'Beloved']," I say softly and give him a quick kiss, happy for Arwen and Legolas. I love them both deeply and I can imagine no better wife for Legolas than her and no better husband for her than him.

"She has let me know that her and Legolas have indeed got close over the last year. She says they plan to wed next year. Legolas will naturally want his first born son to rule Mirkwood but the second son...his second son we can give Gondor," Boromir explains, sounding happy at his plan and the prospect.

"It is a good plan. If Legolas agrees on it," I say.

"He will. We're offering his second born son a Kingdom to rule," Boromir says, sure of this fact and I have to agree with him. Which man doesn't want his sons to do well?

"There is only one problem. The future rulers of Gondor will then all be Elves, the Kingdom will be ruled like an Elvish country though it is not," I warn him.

"Not necessarily. We make a law that says Legolas' son has to marry a human woman and their son will marry a human woman as well. That way as the line grows it will be human rulers though all will have a link to the Elves and their wisdom and powers," Boromir explained.

"Maybe...maybe this could be done," I say softly. Boromir kneels down besides me.

"I know it can," he says and kisses me on the lips. I smile.

"Then it shall be so."

The End

~~~

nadjalee@usa.net

A Matter of Succession
By Nadja Lee 28/01/2002
Disclaimer: "Lord Of The Rings" belongs to J.R.R. Tolkien, and the movie to Peter Jackson and I intend no infringement, this is a piece of amateur fan fiction, and I make no money off of it.
Only the original idea contained within this work is the property of the author.
Please do not copy this story to any website or archive without the permission of the author.
Timeline: Set after the 'LOTR: The Return Of The Kingš movie/book...whatever.
Universe: Movie. ONLY movie! This series quickly goes alternative ending though LOL
Romance: Aragorn/Boromir
Summary: The Kingdom of Gondor needs an heir. Who shall Aragorn choose?
Archiving: Want, ASK, take, have.
Feedback: Yes, please. My e-mail address is nadjalee2000@hotmail.com
Webpage: http://www.dreamwater.net/boromir/index.html [Boromir: A hero's Journey]
Rating: PG-13
Sequel/series: Part 5 of "A Matter Of..." series. You can read the earlier parts on my webpage or here:
http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=727205
Thanks to Jillian Burke for great beta.
Author's notes: Probably the last in this series. I hope you've enjoyed it despite its obvious political overtones and it being heavily AU and not following the LOTR rules...which kinda lies in the whole AU thing, doesn't it?
LOL

back to top


Home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Gallery] [Links] [Guestbook] [Writers' Resources] [Home]