Go to notes and disclaimers

Remembrance
by Lizzie


"My brother. My captain. My king".

His last words, words of allegiance that brought tears to astonished eyes, struck deep down to Aragorn's very heart. He had no words their like in power, not then. Not holding this man, whose every breath cost him a beat of his hero's heart. This man with his every emotion shining clear in his eyes. He had no words then to match the wretched pain in his heart. Desperate, stricken, Aragorn could do no better than to hold him safe as all life fled him. And then he would mourn.

But there was no time. Frodo was gone across the river and along the path into Mordor, the One Ring and Samwise with him. Gandalf the Grey had fallen long behind, to save their lives and their quest in Moria. Merry and Pippin had been stolen away by orcs and those left—now merely Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn himself—had an obligation of fellowship to find them. The sad death Boromir seemed almost incidental, something past and now best forgotten. The Fellowship was broken yet Aragorn knew he must follow after their lost companions. Mourning would keep. His mourning must keep. With Legolas and Gimli by his side he would hunt the orcs. He would rescue the hobbits. This was his duty.

Yet in the dark of the night, as in the forest he took his watch over elf and dwarf, as he leaned back against a tall tree and stared into the shadows, memory and grief threatened to overcome him. And for all his strength and all his purpose, he no longer cared to hold them back.

~~~

Rivendell. Home of Elrond, home of Arwen, the elf city of Rivendell felt like coming home to Aragorn and he knew not why. Standing before the sword, that sword, the very sword used by Isildur to cut the ring from the dark lord's hand, he felt almost like he was home. The weight of his birthright and his bloodline seemed at once unbearable and feather-light in this place. Anonymous in some ways, at his most conspicuous in others. Rivendell was both a place of acknowledgement and a place of anonymity. In his heart he was unsure which he craved more.

Home of Arwen. Yes, he loved Arwen. He desired Arwen and everything she represented. He desired the life that her father would have him lead, and he desired her in it beside him. A part of him knew that it was meant to be, fated, and the thought was comforting. His very presence there was evidence of his commitment to her and to that life. He would again be Aragorn, son of Arathorn, and claim the life that was his. This he knew.

But as the door swung open and he watched the man enter, a seed of doubt began to grow in his mind.

He was a warrior, obvious from his movements if not from his rich attire. A mortal man amongst the elves, sure of himself in unfamiliar surroundings. The sword that swung sheathed at his waist seemed almost a natural extension of his form. And Aragorn knew that this was Boromir, son of the chief of Gondor, land to whose crown he was heir. And this man was of the elite of Gondor yet his every action spoke of the horrors of war and the life of a warrior. He had chosen to fight and not merely remain safe in his father's land whilst his people suffered and died. A noble man indeed.

"Strider". His name on the warrior's lips demanded his attention. He nodded, he stood, suddenly aware that his huntsman's dress may not be entirely appropriate to his surroundings or his purpose. All black leathers and burgundy silks against immaculate blonde hair and over hard muscle, Boromir far outshone him. Even if he did seem better suited to the battlefield than the council chambers. "I have need of you, huntsman".

"How can I be of service?" Aragorn asked, all irony and incredulity in his tone lost on the warrior who took step after self-assured step toward him across the stone floor of the hall, boot heels clicking in time with the thud of Aragorn's heart.

"I have need of you in my chamber, huntsman", he said with a lascivious quirk to his lips as he drew up beside Aragorn's ear. "I have need of you in my bed". The back of one battle-callused hand brushed back the hair from Aragorn's cheek, thumb brushing over his lips. "I have need of you now".

The tone of that ragged voice brooked no refusal. Aragorn nodded. Boromir smiled.

Boromir's chamber was not far, and nor was his bed. They stood before it, apart, simply watching each other. Both seemed to recognise something of the enormity of the moment, the gravity despite the anonymity. This could be no mere tumble in the hay. There was a desperation in them both, a need, a longing. For Aragorn, this meant the last night he could call himself a mere huntsman, the last night before he would step into his true identity. And for Boromir—perhaps the last night to lie with another before a return to the battlefields from which he may never return.

Yet neither said a word. They just stood silent for a moment in recognition of their own fates, before they stepped together and let all the need escape.

They tore at each other's clothing, flung aside leather and steel into a heap on the stone floor 'til they were simply trembling, flesh against flesh, breath coming quick and mouths and lips and tongues colliding hungrily. Boromir's hands clutched at Aragorn's hair, Aragorn's at Boromir's lean waist, as they tumbled backwards in a heap of limbs and lust onto the bed.

Aragorn landed on top. He half expected Boromir to protest but when he glanced down all he saw on his face was a look of pure lust and a wicked smile before his lips were claimed once more.

Boromir's thighs parted beneath him, hot hands pulling him in closer. Light eyes sparkled before him, fingertips pressing into the muscles of his back, teeth nipping at his throat now, eliciting a low growl as he felt the rasp of Boromir's beard in the crook of his neck.

Then something hard and cool was pressed into his hand and he looked down to find a bottle of something clear and viscous. He frowned at Boromir, leaning over him on his forearms, chest to chest, between his strong thighs, who just shrugged, wicked grin still in place. Aragorn smirked and drew back, up onto his knees, trailing his free hand over his skin as he went, making Boromir tremble beneath him.

The oil was thick and coated Aragorn's fingers with ease as Boromir parted his legs further and leaned up, their eyes locking for a moment as Aragorn eased a digit inside him. Boromir bucked, all the muscles in his hard stomach tensing, hardness standing large and proud and begging to be touched. Which Aragorn did, all too willingly. Tracing the pulsing vein in the underside with one fingertip, he eased in another finger, smiling a little as Boromir's hands clasped the sheets tight and a strangled moan escaped his lips.

"Tell me what you want", Aragorn said softy, leaning over him slightly, thrusting gently with his fingers.

Boromir gazed up, biting down on his bottom lip. "Take me", he gasped, barely able to catch his breath. "Take me, huntsman. I'm yours".

Aragorn nodded, withdrew his fingers, coated himself quickly. And as Boromir's hand slid down between them to grasp himself, Aragorn eased himself slowly inside. Boromir moaned. Aragorn hissed. Both were past words. Both were past thought. All they had was feeling, the fulfilment, the heat and the intensity, the need... gasps and sweat-slick skin, damp hair, tensed muscles, passion. Bodies fused together as one, coming together as one, tumbling down into a disarray of hot limbs and sated desires, sticky with each other and contented. It was right. It was a passion they had never felt before.

And then they slept. Side by side in Boromir's bed, they slept.

~~~

The anger over Aragorn's identity had been intense. Aragorn had never thought to deceive his lover, for that was what they had then become, but had found no opportunity for explanation. It preyed on his mind that soon Boromir would find his wild huntsman to be son of Arathorn, heir of Isildur. He said nothing. After his reaction to the sword, to the line of Isildur, he could not. Boromir discovered the news from Elrond. And the anger was born of hurt. Hurt born of a week's deception. And Aragorn could do nothing to make amends.

They departed Rivendell for Mount Doom on bad terms, all anonymity vanished, a new violence between them.

And Arwen—he left Arwen with an understanding. They would be together again. He could not leave her. It seemed ridiculous he had even considered doing so. For a proud, stubborn, misguided fool such as Boromir of Gondor.

Aragorn believed their passion had died in Rivendell. He believed it more with every step they took. The Ring's power over Boromir began to assert itself. He felt an unease gnaw at his insides. The man he thought he knew he realised he knew not. And he came to realise he would do anything to keep the Ring from his lover's hands.

~~~

One night in camp, uneasy, tempted, watching as the others slept. The fire necessary but preying on his mind, he kept watch as he always would. The hobbits lying close beside the fire, a tangle of limbs and cloaks and contented faces that would be overcome by burden upon waking. Legolas and Gimli, already firm friends, side by side under a low-bending tree, under their blanket one seemingly impossible to distinguish from the other. Gandalf sleeping deep against the trunk of a tree, twisted old hat pulled down slanted over his eyes, wrapped tight in his thick cloak. He felt a strange kinship with these people, beyond anything he had imagined. They were the Fellowship of the Ring, bound together by something larger than themselves, fates and lives now irrevocably entwined for good or ill. This he cherished.

Yet he was disturbed, preoccupied. He was tempted. He hadn't understood the allure of the Ring in the beginning but he had come to know it well. Its power was terrifying. Its power over Boromir even more so.

He did not envy Boromir. A proud man, a good man, a warrior of Gondor whose thoughts lay only with the good of his people. Yet the Ring haunted him. His thoughts seemed never to stray from it. Aragorn caught the glances cast on Frodo, felt them chill him to the bone. Boromir was tempted. And he couldn't see his temptation for all his good intentions, all his preoccupations. To see a good man haunted thus was a sad sight indeed. Boromir just could not see that no matter his intentions, the Ring would use him for evil. It would twist his will. Even in his hands, in his will to do good, the Ring would be used as it was designed. And in the end even Boromir's beloved Gondor would fall. Sauron would take his Ring. All would be lost. He saw it, what Boromir couldn't. He wished he could make him see.

A hand on his shoulder jolted him from his reverie, his waking nightmare of the White City under siege. He wheeled, stopped his dagger as it scraped at the beard under Boromir's chin. Even seeing the familiar face, gazing into familiar eyes, he did not lower the blade. But when Boromir's fingers closed around his wrist and eased his hand away, he didn't resist. He couldn't.

Familiar lips curled into a familiar smile. Familiar fingers brushed back a stray strand of hair from Aragorn's face, brushing his cheek with that same familiar electricity. But the look in Boromir's eyes was foreign, unfamiliar. Deep beneath the lust and the need he knew, there was something else. Something almost unfathomable. Aragorn flinched and stepped away.

"You do not want me, Strider?" asked Boromir with a swagger which should never have been. "In Rivendell you wanted me. You want me still".

"Rivendell is far away, and I find you changed".

"As I find you, Strider. Remembering your pretty elf girl, perhaps?"

"Remembering you as you were, Boromir".

"I am as I ever was".

"Except now you would have the Ring. You would take the Ring. And you would take it by force".

Boromir edged away, backwards, further into darkness. "Never", he said, and for a second Aragorn saw the man he knew. But then he was gone.

~~~

He ran to his lover's side. He cleaved apart the bodies of orcs to get there, ran hard and watched in agony as the arrows pierced his chest. And Boromir fell. The orc fell soon after, at Aragorn's hand.

And then he was on his knees, beside him on the forest floor, the sight of his blood and the arrow inside him cutting like steel in his heart. It hurt to see him that way, hurt to hear him talk, hurt to hear those words because he knew he was about to die. He could do nothing. Nothing but watch.

Boromir spoke of Frodo, of the Ring. He spoke of his land, he spoke of their fates. And each word told Aragorn that Boromir had not changed in himself. The Ring had changed him, tempted him, taken his desire to aid his people and made him blind to its evil. He repented. He grieved for what he had tried to do to Frodo, for what he'd become, for everything. For everything. And Aragorn grieved along with him.

"My brother. My captain. My king".

In that moment he swore everything he was to Aragorn. He gave himself completely.

He died a hero's death.

Aragorn pressed his lips to his forehead. He said goodbye. One last farewell to his brother of Gondor, to the hero he was at heart, to Boromir, his lover.

He watched as the boat took his body over the falls and he wanted to weep for him. He could not. Now, there, in the clearing where he stood watch over Gimli and Legolas, he could. Just for a short while. Just until dawn. Then they would move on, toward Isengard, toward Merry and Pippin.

He just prayed that Frodo would destroy the Ring. He prayed that the death of this one good man would not be in vain.

And maybe, when it was all over, he could sit down and remember. Maybe then he could mourn.

But for now, all he had were tears in the dark.

End

~~~

ravens_slavegirl@yahoo.co.uk

Title: Remembrance
Author: Lizzie
Rating: In my usual fandom this would be R, but to be safe I'd have to say NC-17.
Pairing: Aragorn/Boromir
Disclaimer: Don't own 'em, never likely to, making no money from this (I can only wish!) and if I'm sued all you'll get is a whole bunch of my trashy fanfic and a battered copy of LotR.
Summary: Aragorn remembers his lover.
Notes: I swore I wouldn't write another fandom, but it seems Aragorn and Boromir were too good a prospect to pass up. Any and all feedback makes me feel worthwhile. And I should just tell you that I haven't got a clue how long everyone was in Rivendell before the meeting so I've taken a little artistic license. lol. I'm going by the film here and I've seen it a grand total of once.

back to top


Home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Gallery] [Links] [Guestbook] [Writers' Resources] [Home]