Go to notes and disclaimers

Release
by Lizzie


F ar below the telain of the Galadrim, sheltered by the roots of the great mellyrn, the Fellowship was at rest. The days seemed both long and short together in Lothlórien, enchanted days in which the passing of time dwindled in its consequence and a peace heretofore unknown to them pervaded all. They could have lived forever in a day and marked it only in the spread of lines across their faces and the greying in their hair.

In the daylight the mallorn-blossom shone bright and the wood was indeed golden, as the old tales told. That day Aragorn had walked in the tall grass beneath the yellow leaves, hour upon hour passing him by in but the blinking of an eye. He had found himself stopped here and there, resting against the silver-grey bark of a mallorn tree or kneeling in the flowers of Cerin Amroth, reliving a time when nothing had mattered so much as the beauty in the face of his love, of Arwen Undómiel.

In the night the gold of the wood turned into an unearthly glow of silver; the Rohirrim in their tongue called this place Dwimordene, the haunted valley, and in such a time as this the cause was plain to see. No moonlight ever shone so bright or blue as the nights of the Golden Wood; no place in the world retained the ethereal beauty of Elvenhome as did this place.

Yet amidst this tranquillity there was disquiet. It was a disquiet which Aragorn had longed to still within himself, and had found release in the most unlikely of places.

Boromir had the strong, callused hands of a warrior, hands that knew the heat of fresh-spilt blood and arms that yearned to strain with the bracing weight of a broadsword. Those arms were about Aragorn now, with once-bloodied hands bent to a far gentler art than that of the battle plain. Aragorn rested his arm about the warrior's waist and traced the seam in the heavy leather of Boromir's coat; a few stray locks of Boromir's blonde hair fell lightly over the curve of Aragorn's neck as their foreheads rested together.

The hair was still damp and fragrant with the water of the pool in which they had bathed, in the starlit twilight of the Wood. A stony bowl carved from the living rock below a shallow fall—Aragorn had sought out this place to bathe and forget his cares. Tossing aside his clothing he had waded into the cool waters, the swirl about his thighs soothing as nothing else he knew. He dipped his head and let the water run over his chest in coursing rivulets, following their paths soon after with his tired hands. He was glad then to be in Lórien. He could think of nothing else which might have rendered the weight upon his heart more bearable.

Gandalf's fall had preyed on his mind; to come so far and then lose such a friend, to such a creature, was unthinkable. And now Gandalf's role as guide had fallen to him. This burden he had accepted because he knew that it was his to bear, yet it weighed on him. He did not know what best to do—venture on to Mordor or break their journey in Minas Tirith? His heart, along with Boromir, would tell him one thing, and his mind another. Perhaps a few more days to break their journey would serve to clear his mind.

He had not noticed Boromir who sat by the pool on the grass, in the shadow of a stout old tree. A smile played at the Man's lips as he leaned back to watch, the tension still evident in Aragorn's drawn face despite his best efforts to soothe it all away. Aragorn did not mark his presence until the water was disturbed and at last he turned, the water swirling at his waist, to find Boromir approaching.

"You're troubled", said Boromir simply. "It's obvious. Let me help you".

He slid one arm about his waist and tangled his other fingers in Aragorn's hair. With a hitched breath and an anxious glance, Boromir pressed his lips to Aragorn's.

For all his anxiety, the kiss was far from anxious. It was far from tentative or halting. The press of his lips was firm and sure, hot against Aragorn's water-cooled mouth. Their bodies moved together as Aragorn closed the meagre distance between them, wrapping an arm about Boromir's shoulders, a hand on his neck. The kiss deepened, heated. Aragorn caught Boromir's lip between his teeth for a second and bit down; Boromir snarled and pulled him in closer, flesh against flesh in the tree-shaded water.

It had all been over almost before it had begun. Hands skirted over taut muscle moving beneath slick, pale skin, over a hip, a buttock, a thigh. Fingertips grazed a nipple and wrought a gasp. Hands tugged at hair, at shoulders, nails rasped raw over their spines. They rocked together, hardness against hardness, clutching, gasping, mouth on mouth, until their seed mixed with the swirling water.

They had dried roughly afterwards, stealing glances as they dressed, walking almost shoulder-to-shoulder back to the bower beneath the mallorn. Boromir spread out his long fur cloak and the two lay down side by side; it was maybe and hour and maybe a day since and there they lay still, entwined, unquestioning, the fragrance of trees and flowers and water, and of something just innately them, lingering on their skin.

Aragorn did not know if this could be without the bounds of Lórien. Perhaps it was the enchantment in the air, the silver of the night in Caras Galadhon that made it possible for two Men to lie together in peace, to forget their cares. It seemed the weight of the Ring was lifted from the two, its presence made light by the Elven-magic that surrounded them. Temptation put aside, guilt and destiny forgotten just this little while, the one found release with the other.

Boromir smiled, pressing his lips to Aragorn's. Aragorn held him tighter, the leather of their coats and the fur of Boromir's cloak keeping them warm pressed against each other. They lived a happy lifetime together in that single moment.

There was contentment to be had in the touch of a hand and the brush of a fingertip. There was redemption to be found in the kiss of a warrior-lover. There was peace to be found in the strength of a brave king's heart. Even if all they would share was this moment.

End

~~~

ravens_slavegirl@yahoo.co.uk

Title: Release
Author: raven
Rating: R-ish. Higher than a PG-13 I think but nothing particularly graphic. sighs
Pairing: Aragorn/Boromir
Disclaimer: Not mine, don't sue. All you'll get is a well-thumbed copy of Lord of the Rings, malfunctioning fairy lights and a much- saddened fangirl, anyway.
Summary: A short little Lothlórien-related Aragorn angsting. Co- starring a similarly angsty Boromir and too many LotR proper nouns.

back to top


Home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Gallery] [Links] [Guestbook] [Writers' Resources] [Home]