Go to notes and disclaimers

The Steward's Baby
by Kristy


A ragorn guided his horse through the rubble of the village. A young girl had fled during the attack but by the time she reached the camp of Aragorn, Boromir, and the rest of Aragorn's men not even Shadowfax would have been able to carry a savior to the village in time. Aragorn's senses were keen, ready to take vengeance on any lurking orcs. The town was deserted, though, the feeling of death saturating every crumbled structure.

Boromir dismounted and began to carefully sift through the debris. Faramir watched his brother and shook his head. "There is nothing left, my brother."

Boromir shook his head. "I will not rest until I know I have done all in my power. What if someone is not slain, but merely unconscious?"

Aragorn conceded that Boromir's zealousness was well-founded. Orcs could easily pass over someone that appeared dead in the rush. These days orc raids were like storms that swept through villages, rushing like a river out of it's banks, racing the help that would invariably arrive as fast as horses could run.

Faramir, Legolas, and Aragorn dismounted as well, the rest of the men continuing to the far side of the village to secure the area and start searching for survivors on the outskirts. "I fear that there will never be an end to the orcs," Legolas said troubled as always at the grimness of mortality. "Even Eldarion's heir will be charged with hunting and exterminating these smallest yet most tenacious shards of evil."

Aragorn shook his head. "I will not allow my house to be dominated with this task for generations. I will rid our lands of orcs so that Eldarion and his son may focus on building and growing."

But Legolas' attention was elsewhere. "Can you hear that?" he asked.

Aragorn stopped what he was doing and motioned for everyone to be silent as well. Sure enough there was a sound—the very distinct sound of a dog barking somewhere in the wood nearby. "Split up!" Aragorn ordered.

Everyone fanned out, moving in the general direction of the dog's distressed barking. In no more than a few minutes, Boromir's voice came up above the barking. "I've found him!"

Aragorn sprinted in the direction Boromir's voice had come, following Legolas whose Elven legs carried him swifter than any of Aragorn's best men. They came to a small twelve foot wide clearing and found Boromir edging towards a large, imposing wolf looking dog. But the dog did not seem aggressive and even approached Boromir with a friendly nudge and lick to the hand.

Boromir needed no other encouragement; he strode past the dog to what looked like an old tree stump. But as soon as he looked closer, he froze. "What is it?" Aragorn asked insistently as Faramir pulled out a bit of jerky for the dog.

Legolas approached the stump as well and peered at what Boromir's gaze was fixated on. "It is a child!" he exclaimed. "With cheeks pink as the rose."

Aragorn wasted not a moment and dove at the stump which was completely hallowed out. Carefully, he picked the small baby up as he had with all his other children and held it to his chest. "But it is cold, very cold," he said. "Quickly! Make a fire and get a blanket!" he commanded, wrapping his own cloak about the fair eyed child. If the cold did not concern him enough, the fact that the infant did not move more than to breathe, nor did it cry made Aragorn's heart sink with worry for it's survival.

Boromir finally stood, having never taken his gaze from the infant. He approached Aragorn. "The Valar has answered my prayer," he whispered so quietly and so closely to Aragorn that even Legolas would have to strain to hear.

Aragorn looked up sharply, a puzzled expression on his face. "What prayer?" he asked knowing his lover could not possibly be referring to a ransacked village with only a baby to survive.

Boromir reached up and caressed the child's head with a gentleness Aragorn only witnessed when they were intimate together. "I hoped that a child would be sent to us; a child that would need us as much as I need you," he confessed.

Aragorn began to walk back to the village ruins glancing frequently at Boromir, still wondering at what he could be thinking of. Their love was private. Faramir and Legolas could not be fooled, and of course Arwen was welcome in every chamber of Aragorn's heart, but a child would be seen and heard and complicated. "Boromir, we must look into living kin for his child," he said as responsibly as possible. The idealistic notion began to nag at him, though. After all, they had pulled the baby from a hollow tree stump together, almost as from the womb of the earth itself.

Boromir gave Aragorn an exasperated look. "You know as well as I that the people of these villages rarely move away. The village is the family. This child is orphaned."

Aragorn took the blanket that Faramir brought and strode over to fire the other men had built. He glanced back at Legolas who was following, the dog trotting along at their heels. Legolas nodded. "It is highly unlikely that this child has any family that would recognize it," he said in that neutral, sensible way that was both desperately needed in Aragorn's court and yet rather irritating at times. "Have any other survivors been found?" he asked the men that were gathering around him. Everyone shook their head grimly. "Bless the mother of this infant. May she rest peacefully knowing that her child is safe in the court of the King," Aragorn said solemnly.

"Aye," chorused the group quietly. But even as Aragorn offered that simple prayer, he regretted his choice of words, knowing Boromir would cling to them as long as possible.

"Can you tell what it is?" Faramir asked looking on with interest.

Aragorn cocked his head to one side and smiled. "She is a girl," he answered. "And she still is not crying. We must get to the city as soon as possible. She needs nourishment and water." He turned to Boromir. For a moment he considered that this mightn't be the best idea. It would only give Boromir an opportunity to fall in love with the baby, but Faramir had already gone to give orders to the rest of the men.

Boromir took the baby from Aragorn's arms gently and nodded to Aragorn's horse. "I know, I know. This doesn't mean we can keep her, but you of all people know how that even the smallest star on cold black nights can give a man hope."

Aragorn sighed. "You will never let me live that down," he said mounting his horse.

Boromir grinned and shook his head. "It was the bailiwick that kept you going and led men to defeat the evil of Middle Earth. It would be a disservice to all that died to let you forget it," he replied handing the baby up.

"What a good steward you are."

Once everyone was mounted, the party set out, the baby girl's guard dog keeping pace with the horses as they galloped home towards Minas Tirith.

###

Korraniah looked on with curiosity as her mother, the Queen of Gondor dressed the new baby. The baby, along with a very noble looking dog had come home with Aragorn two days before. Aragorn had said the baby was sick, but the six year old didn't understand how since most of the sickness she had encountered involved various forms of indigestion.

"Why hasn't Ada given her a name?" Korraniah asked Arwen.

Arwen smiled and picked the baby up kissing her nose. "Because that is the job of the mother and father," she explained patiently.

Korraniah was quiet for a few moments, a few more than Arwen had expected. "But isn't she ours?" she finally asked.

Arwen shook her head.

"But don't you and father like her?" the child asked indignantly.

Arwen laughed lightly and reached down to squeeze her daughter affectionately. "Of course we do," she answered. "But your father wants to make sure there is no other family for her to return to."

Korraniah wrinkled her nose. "But Uncle Boromir says Ada is wasting time."

Arwen smiled. Of course Boromir was saying that and of course he would say that in front of Korraniah. Aragorn had little immunity to the wiles of his eldest daughter. If he asked the child what she thought, Kori would want to keep the baby and the dog without hesitation.

Aragorn had asked Arwen what she thought about Boromir's idea, though. She couldn't help feeling attached already, and she didn't want the child leaving anymore than Boromir or Korraniah did. She honestly didn't mind who the official parents were going to be, because whether the little sprite belonged to Aragorn and Arwen, Aragorn and Boromir, Faramir and Eowyn, or any other combination, she would never hesitate to care for the child as her own when called upon.

Aragorn walked in at that moment, quietly, and picked up Korraniah surprising her. She laughed happily as he tossed her a few inches into the air before catching her and hugging her fiercely. As he set her down, Arwen caught his eye as his gaze drifted to the baby laying in her arms. "So it worked?" he asked surprised.

"What worked?" she asked as Korraniah waited patiently for her Ada to sit down.

Aragorn smirked. "I left Boromir in charge of settling the petty disputes. He needed a distraction from the little one," he explained finally taking a seat next to Arwen. Korraniah wasted no time in climbing into his lap.

Arwen chuckled. "I don't think he slept a wink last night," she said. "He certainly is enraptured with her."

Aragorn nodded. "I know. The only thing I still haven't worked out is what will people think when people hear her call both of us Ada? Korraniah doesn't and neither does Jayley. It is not easily explained away."

Arwen nodded. "But Korraniah and Jayley do not have the same history with Boromir that this little one does."

"It isn't as if a child you bore is calling him Ada," Aragorn thought aloud.

Arwen could tell that Aragorn had already made up his mind, at least mostly. But did he realize that he'd made up his mind? She watched her daughter fawn over the baby as her husband thought quietly to himself. She hoped he had made up his mind, because the more the issue was discussed, the more she felt Boromir was right. Her husband was as in love with his steward as he was with her. Why shouldn't Boromir be blessed with a family to share with Aragorn?

Her thoughts were interrupted by a commotion coming through the door. Eldarion led the way, followed by Jamison who threw a ball to him. Eowyn was close behind laughing as she herded Jayley and Alikzander through the door. "Forgive me," she said a little breathless. "I had meant to bring them back sound asleep, but they are very difficult, nigh impossible to wear out!"

Arwen laughed. "I hope you didn't overexert yourself," she said giving the five-year-old Alikzander a kiss on the head. Eowyn's growing belly was a reminder of why Aragorn almost immediately crossed Faramir and Eowyn off the adoptive parent list. They had two boys of their own with a third not more than two months away. Two tiny infants would be an unfair burden on Eowyn, especially with Faramir taking so much more responsibility by the week.

Eowyn shook her head. "I did much worse when I carried Aramahn and he turned out as sturdy as his father."

Aragorn snapped out of it as Korraniah and Jayley argued for ownership of his lap. "Alright, alright, calm down," he said moving Korraniah over to one knee and lifting the petite three year old onto the vacant one. "And if one of you breaks a window, you'll pay for it with hours cleaning the stables," he warned the boys who hadn't ceased in their game.

Arwen looked down as she heard something that she hadn't in two days. The infant began to cry. Aragorn immediately looked over Korraniah's head to see if he heard right. "She is frightened," Arwen whispered holding the baby close.

Aragorn didn't take his eyes off the child. "Eldarion, Jamison, quiet down or go back outside," he said firmly. The boys froze and tip toed from the room quietly.

Korraniah slid off Aragorn's lap as he reached over her to take the baby from Arwen. "You cry all you want, little one. It's been too long, hasn't it?" he cooed to her. Arwen stood up and motioned for the children to come with her. She picked up Jayley and led the other two, along with Eowyn out of the room.

If he wasn't as enamored as Boromir before, he certainly was now. Arwen was positive that as sure as Aragorn loved the children he sired personally, he loved this baby as much. If he had any control of it, she wouldn't be kept from staying with their family for all the Mithrel in Moria.

###

Boromir walked through the corridor grumbling. What if she'd done something important like roll over? Aragorn and Arwen always made a fuss about the children the first time they rolled over. He didn't want to miss a thing of his baby's life. His baby. If Aragorn could hear his thoughts... Aragorn couldn't hear his thoughts. But what was wrong with them even if he could? Was Aragorn the only one allowed to have paternal love for a child? How could Aragorn expect him to be content with the title of uncle till the end of his days? It didn't matter that he'd called off the advances of women by claiming that the two most beautiful women in Middle Earth had already been claimed by his Lord and his brother. That had nothing to do with what he desired to share with the man that he loved.

He walked into the common room of the royal family's chambers expecting to see Arwen with the baby, but the room was empty. He strode over to the bedchamber Aragorn shared with Arwen and knocked. "M'Lady, Arwen," he called through the door. "Are you awake?"

The door opened and on the other side stood Aragorn dressed in a fine robe, the sash tied loose so that it hung low on his hips, barely keeping the garment closed around his groin. Boromir stepped back surprised. "I'm sorry," he said quickly. It was always awkward to interrupt the two of them and he avoided it if he could. "I was just looking for her. To spend some time with her if she is awake," he explained.

Aragorn shook his head. "She's asleep," he answered calmly in that rich voice that made Boromir melt. "But do not be sorry. I was hoping that you would be along soon," he continued, opening the door all the way.

When Boromir looked inside he did not see Arwen. Candles were lit and in the cradle was a little bundle rising gently every few moments. "I...I don't understand," he confessed. Ever since they returned with her, their physical displays of affection had been stunted. Boromir resented Aragorn's hesitation and Aragorn was irritatingly patient.

Aragorn went over to the cradle and picked her up. He carried her over to Boromir and let him hold her. "Do you really want to take her for your own?" he asked.

Boromir shook his head. "I want for us to take her as our own," he answered rocking her gently.

Aragorn smiled and caressed Boromir's face with the back of his hand. "This is the second time in my life that you have proved to me I do not have all that I think I need," he said. "I didn't realize that we were not the complete family you wanted. And even after I understood, I did not realize that your desire is mine as well. But we can not have a child our love has not blessed," he said taking Boromir's hand. "Come."

They walked back down the corridor to Boromir's apartments. It was a modest space with three smaller rooms off of a large central room. Boromir and Aragorn shared a bedroom there. One of the smaller rooms was for Boromir's personal and family possessions such as ceremonial weapons and honors. Third room had always been empty, not needed for a man who worked for the man he loved more than life itself.

"I asked servants to work on the nursery while you were at court this morning," he explained opening the door to the third room. Inside was a wardrobe, a larger cradle, a tiny table with child sized chairs, and beautiful tapestries of the many lands of Middle Earth.

Boromir stood holding the baby in stunned silence, albeit a short-lived silence. "You had already decided this morning? Then why did you keep me so busy I couldn't see her?" he asked.

Aragorn smiled. "For your own good. Children are a joy and a blessing, but you can't let them consume you to the point that you forget where your other responsibilities lie," he explained. "But you survived."

Boromir smiled. "But did I miss anything?" he asked gazing that the sleeping child in his arms.

Aragorn put an arm around his love. "She cried," he answered simply. "The children came in full of excitement and it frightened her just as it should have. The midwife examined her an hour ago and is sure that she's as good as new."

Boromir leaned in and kissed her. "But we still don't know how old she is," he said with regret.

Aragorn grinned broadly. "I have learned that today as well."

"What?!" Boromir asked trying to keep his voice down.

"I sent Legolas to investigate and learn what he could," Aragorn explained. "He went back to the village, took the dog with him for help, and located her old house. In amidst the debris was a family record book."

Boromir's eyes lighted with excitement. "Then we must know her name as well!" he exclaimed in a whisper.

Aragorn shook his head. "Part of the parchment was burned away, but the date of birth was readable. She will be eight weeks old in three days."

Boromir smiled and looked down at her again. After a few moments he looked up, leaned in, and kissed Aragorn passionately.

Aragorn was surprised at first, but returned it with all his heart. After long minutes of immersion in their kiss, Aragorn pulled away. He gently took the baby from Boromir. "She'll be close enough to hear if she wakes up," he said laying her in the new cradle.

Boromir watched, but it didn't ache as much this time. Now he knew he could come and hold her whenever he needed to. Aragorn led him out and into their room. The room was glowing with candlelight. Aragorn lay on the bed, his robe falling away, revealing that although Aragorn appeared calm and collected, the kiss they shared moments before left him aroused.

Boromir took off his boots immediately and pulled his shirt off over his head. He slid onto the bed next to Aragorn and they were soon kissing again. This time, Boromir's hands traveled up and down Aragorn's back, grasping at his arms, feeling the gentle strength of his love. Aragorn's hands were caressing Boromir's thigh, pulling him up a little, and taking hold of the younger man's tightened backside. When the kiss was finally broken, Boromir finished undressing and Aragorn stood, letting the robe fall to the floor. Then he lowered himself onto Boromir, rubbing his hardened cock against the King's thigh. Boromir groaned and began to raise his legs and pelvis. But Aragorn held him down. "Not so fast," he whispered. "Children must be conceived in the highest love possible. It takes time." With that, Aragorn began to kiss every inch of Boromir's torso. From his neck and his shoulders, to the rigid muscles below Boromir's bellybutton, Aragorn made love to every inch of Boromir's body.

Boromir was shaking, quivering, and his mind whirled as he tried keep in control under the electrifying touch of his best friend and lover. His hands glided along Aragorn's body, through his hair, and clung to his muscles as his own body threatened to betray him before it was time.

Finally, when Boromir was sure he could take no more, Aragorn lifted his legs over his head and pushed his large, swollen cock into Boromir with one deft thrust. Boromir groaned as the momentary pain gave way to ecstasy. Aragorn thrust into Boromir over and over again. The sweat beaded and ran from his temples to his ears. His neck glistened with perspiration that trailed down his chest and Boromir could feel down the middle of his back whenever his hands were roaming Aragorn's body.

"I love you," Boromir breathed as he pushed back against Aragorn.

"And I love you," Aragorn replied as he moaned with pleasure. "I am honored to have you as the father of my little girl," he added kissing Boromir passionately.

As soon as their lips were parted, Boromir kissed him again. "Thank you for being the father of mine." Then Boromir could feel Aragorn shaking fiercely from within and he knew that he too was approaching the moment when love was most tangible. It may have been a few seconds, but in the sweet eternity of making love to the center of your universe, Boromir felt true inner peace.

A happy eternity later, they were climaxing together. There was no pain, no worry, and no distress. The only thing they felt was true happiness and a blessed peace to be able to share themselves with each other and to be able to share a beautiful baby girl for the rest of their lives.

###

Legolas looked up as Aragorn walked in with Boromir and the baby. "Korraniah is looking for you," he told Aragorn as they sat down. Aragorn merely nodded.

"What will you say when people ask?" he asked them curiously.

Boromir smiled, positioning the little girl carefully so that he could eat around her. "That even if I can not find the love of a woman, I would like the joy of a child, but that since she lives in the court of the King and Queen, they are like father and mother as well," he explained. "But I don't think anyone will ask."

Legolas nodded. "And her name?" he asked.

"Karianah," Aragorn answered as he tousled Eldarion's hair who was still eating. The boy tried to evade him and the King chuckled before looking at Legolas with the satisfied and content look that lasted on every day that Aragorn achieved something important or obtained an integral component of his life. It would be gone tomorrow, but for today, the King was satisfied.

THE END

###

CelticTwosome@aol.com

Date: 1/13/04
Title: The Steward's Baby
Author: Kristy
Rating: NC-17
Pairing: Aragorn/Boromir, rated G relationship with Arwen
Spoiler Warnings: Um...I guess it gives away the general ending of ROTK as if any of us didn't see the movie.
Summary: Boromir finally gets what he envies in Arwen and Aragorn's
relationship.
Disclaimer: Tolkien owns, Aragorn, Boromir, Faramir, Legolas, Arwen, Eowyn and Eldarion. The rest are mine.
Archive: If you really want to.

back to top


Home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Gallery] [Links] [Guestbook] [Writers' Resources] [Home]